Does move actually move?

If I remember correctly, when you move a file in msdos (ver 6.22) it copies
the file to the new dir and then deletes it. However, if you move a file in
W98/XP by using windows explorer, it doesn't really move it like old dos
would; the directory entry or FAT is simply updated. This is much safer,
faster, and doesn't fail if you don't have enough space for two copies at
the same time.

With XP, does moving a file at the command line with 4dos differ than moving
it with 4nt? I think 4dos copies/deletes and 4nt updates the FAT. Can anyone
verify this?

0
Anthony
7/11/2005 3:45:19 AM
comp.os.msdos.4dos 455 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Anthony D'Agostino wrote:

> If I remember correctly, when you move a file in msdos (ver 6.22)
> it copies the file to the new dir and then deletes it. However, if
> you move a file in W98/XP by using windows explorer, it doesn't
> really move it like old dos would; the directory entry or FAT is
> simply updated. This is much safer, faster, and doesn't fail if
> you don't have enough space for two copies at the same time.
>
> With XP, does moving a file at the command line with 4dos differ
> than moving it with 4nt? I think 4dos copies/deletes and 4nt
> updates the FAT. Can anyone verify this?

John Stetsons SD can show assigned starting cluster, so can
differentiate between a copy and a directory update.  With 4dos
(not 4nt) I just did a move of file.x to file.y.  The storage
location was unchanged.  This means the directory (not the FAT) was
updated.  This is under the DOS box of W98.

CBFalconer
7/11/2005 10:28:33 AM
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:45:19 -0400, "Anthony D'Agostino"
<gamma-ray@contast.net> wrote:

>If I remember correctly, when you move a file in msdos (ver 6.22) it copies
>the file to the new dir and then deletes it. However, if you move a file in
>W98/XP by using windows explorer, it doesn't really move it like old dos
>would; the directory entry or FAT is simply updated. This is much safer,
>faster, and doesn't fail if you don't have enough space for two copies at
>the same time.
>
>With XP, does moving a file at the command line with 4dos differ than moving
>it with 4nt? I think 4dos copies/deletes and 4nt updates the FAT. Can anyone
>verify this?

If you're moving to a different location on the same drive, MOVE
simply performs a rename.  If you're moving a file to a different
drive, MOVE does a copy and then a delete.  As far as I know, 4DOS
and 4NT both work this way.

--
Charles Dye     raster@highfiber.com

0
Charles
7/11/2005 2:18:59 PM
<gamma-ray@contast.net> wrote:

>If I remember correctly, when you move a file in msdos (ver 6.22) it copies
>the file to the new dir and then deletes it.

I don't believe so. I wrote a "mv" program back in the days of DOS
2.1, and it used an INT 21 "rename" function to move a file between
directories. In other words, even before DOS had a "move" command it
was possible to move files by a simple pointer change without
actually reading and writing any of the file's data.

>With XP, does moving a file at the command line with 4dos differ than moving
>it with 4nt? I think 4dos copies/deletes and 4nt updates the FAT. Can anyone
>verify this?

I have no knowledge of the internal workings of 4DOS or 4NT, but
since the DOS (not 4DOS) function has been around for many years I
would lay excellent odds that 4DOS uses it.

                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
                                   -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)
0
Stan
7/12/2005 2:32:41 AM
> I have no knowledge of the internal workings of 4DOS or 4NT, but
> since the DOS (not 4DOS) function has been around for many years I
> would lay excellent odds that 4DOS uses it.

Yes, it uses it.

Bye, Flo

--
Unofficial Dr-DOS page  <http://www.drdos.org>
0

>If I remember correctly, when you move a file in msdos (ver 6.22) it copies
>the file to the new dir and then deletes it. However, if you move a file in
>W98/XP by using windows explorer, it doesn't really move it like old dos
>would; the directory entry or FAT is simply updated. This is much safer,
>faster, and doesn't fail if you don't have enough space for two copies at
>the same time.

I think that you do not remember correctly.

--
 � John Stockton, Surrey, UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk   DOS 3.3, 6.20; Win98. �
 Web  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.

Then again, I almost NEVER move a file with explorer (or do much of
anything with Explorer); I use 4NT.

<gamma-ray@contast.net> wrote:

>If I remember correctly, when you move a file in msdos (ver 6.22) it copies
>the file to the new dir and then deletes it. However, if you move a file in
>W98/XP by using windows explorer, it doesn't really move it like old dos
>would; the directory entry or FAT is simply updated. This is much safer,
>faster, and doesn't fail if you don't have enough space for two copies at
>the same time.
>
>With XP, does moving a file at the command line with 4dos differ than moving
>it with 4nt? I think 4dos copies/deletes and 4nt updates the FAT. Can anyone
>verify this?

0
DaleFOgden