Drive letter of current drive

Does anyone know of a TCMD internal variable that will return the
current-default drive letter; e.g.  D: or  E: or F: etc.?  The
variable _DRIVES will return a list of all assigned drive letters on
the computer; however I would like to know the letter for only the
current default drive.

Thanks
CRNG
12/19/2013 1:21:02 PM
comp.os.msdos.4dos 455 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hello CRNG !

CRNG <noemail@atthisdomain.gov> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a TCMD internal variable that will return the
> current-default drive letter; e.g.  D: or  E: or F: etc.?  The
> variable _DRIVES will return a list of all assigned drive letters on
> the computer; however I would like to know the letter for only the
> current default drive.

ECHO %_DISK

--
Laurent Jumet - Point de Chat, Li�ge, BELGIUM
      KeyID: 0xCFAF704C

> Does anyone know of a TCMD internal variable that will return the
> current-default drive letter; e.g.  D: or  E: or F: etc.?  The
> variable _DRIVES will return a list of all assigned drive letters on
> the computer; however I would like to know the letter for only the
> current default drive.

Well, there's _CWD, which will give you the current working directory,
and a simple parsing of this will give you the drive.

--
Herzliche Gr��e,

* Klaus Meinhard *
0
Klaus
12/19/2013 1:33:09 PM
Hallo Laurent Jumet,

> ECHO %_DISK

Of course! <sound of hand slapping forehead>

--
Herzliche Gr��e,

* Klaus Meinhard *
0
Klaus
12/19/2013 1:37:18 PM
Hello Klaus !

Klaus Meinhard <k_meinhard@gmx.de> wrote:

>> ECHO %_DISK

> Of course! <sound of hand slapping forehead>

    Where are actually Rex Conn and the other good guys?

--
Laurent Jumet - Point de Chat, Li�ge, BELGIUM
      KeyID: 0xCFAF704C
             [Restore address to laurent.jumet for e-mail reply.]
0
Laurent
12/19/2013 2:24:22 PM
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:37:18 +0100, Klaus Meinhard <k_meinhard@gmx.de>
wrote in <bhgb4eF7pspU1@mid.individual.net>

>Hallo Laurent Jumet,
>

>> ECHO %_DISK
>>

>Of course! <sound of hand slapping forehead>

Exactly.  As usual, I missed the obvious.  At least now days I can
blame it on my age.  Twenty-five years ago I didn't have that  excuse.

Thanks Laurent and Klaus for the answer.
CRNG
12/19/2013 5:32:14 PM
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 07:21:02 -0600, CRNG wrote:

> Does anyone know of a TCMD internal variable that will return the
> current-default drive letter; e.g.  D: or  E: or F: etc.?  The
> variable _DRIVES will return a list of all assigned drive letters on
> the computer; however I would like to know the letter for only the
> current default drive.

Does %_disk not work for you?  That's the standard in TCCLE.

                                   http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
0
Stan
12/20/2013 12:42:25 AM
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:24:22 +0100, Laurent Jumet wrote:

> Hello Klaus !
>
> Klaus Meinhard <k_meinhard@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> >> ECHO %_DISK
>
> > Of course! <sound of hand slapping forehead>
>
>     Where are actually Rex Conn and the other good guys?

They hate Usenet with a white-hot burning animosity because they
can't control it, so they have their own sandbox where they can
exercise control.

Sort of like a small and pathetic imitation of Google.

                                   http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
0
Stan
12/20/2013 12:43:35 AM
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 19:43:35 -0500, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in
<MPG.2d1d5cc1c453b4ec98e346@news.individual.net>

>On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:24:22 +0100, Laurent Jumet wrote:

>> > Of course! <sound of hand slapping forehead>
>>
>>     Where are actually Rex Conn and the other good guys?
>
>They hate Usenet with a white-hot burning animosity because they
>can't control it, so they have their own sandbox where they can
>exercise control.
>
>Sort of like a small and pathetic imitation of Google.

Good description.  But I still done understand why they didn't choose
a Yahoo Group forum which would have offered them the control they
seemed to want.

Well, I don't like proprietary forums that don't offer email
participation, so I dropped the JPSoft support forum (and any
inclinations to upgrade beyond TCDM v9, a few years ago.
CRNG
12/20/2013 9:49:41 AM
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 19:42:25 -0500, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in
<MPG.2d1d5c7d65256ab698e345@news.individual.net>

>On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 07:21:02 -0600, CRNG wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a TCMD internal variable that will return the
>> current-default drive letter; e.g.  D: or  E: or F: etc.?  The
>> variable _DRIVES will return a list of all assigned drive letters on
>> the computer; however I would like to know the letter for only the
>> current default drive.
>
>Does %_disk not work for you?  That's the standard in TCCLE.

Yes, it works, but I wasn't aware of it.  Since I was aware of
_DRIVES, I tried _DRIVE as a guess at what might work, but didn't. The
help file description for _DRIVES  does not contain a "see also"
section which would be a place to mention the logically related _DISK
variable.
CRNG
12/20/2013 9:49:41 AM
Hello CRNG !

CRNG <noemail@atthisdomain.gov> wrote:

> Good description.  But I still done understand why they didn't choose
> a Yahoo Group forum which would have offered them the control they
> seemed to want.

    A WebForum allows moderators to delete an offending message as soon as it's read;
a YahooGroup doesn't allow to delete a message once it's released.

--
Laurent Jumet - Point de Chat, Li�ge, BELGIUM
      KeyID: 0xCFAF704C
             [Restore address to laurent.jumet for e-mail reply.]
0
Laurent
12/20/2013 10:19:40 AM
On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:19:40 +0100, "Laurent Jumet"
<1st_NAME.Lst_NAME@skynet.be> wrote in
<GED52B41A26@1st_NAME.Lst_NAME.skynet.be>

>Hello CRNG !
>
>CRNG <noemail@atthisdomain.gov> wrote:
>
>> Good description.  But I still done understand why they didn't choose
>> a Yahoo Group forum which would have offered them the control they
>> seemed to want.
>
>    A WebForum allows moderators to delete an offending message as soon as it's read;
>a YahooGroup doesn't allow to delete a message once it's released.

Hello Laurent,

Yes, that's true.  I didn't think of that.  However, I don't recall
very much offensiveness in this group at the time.  But then, I often
can't remember something from yesterday either.

OTOH, deleting an offending message requires all messages be 1) read
by a moderator or 2) that the moderator be notified of an offending
message.  In either case there is probably a long lag time during
which the offending message can be read.

In the case of a Yahoo Group (YG), the moderator can warn an offending
poster the first time an inappropriate message is posted, and then
delete the membership of the poster the second time.  I've been a
moderator of several YGs, and that has always kept the group well
behave.

There may have been other reasons for JPS to move to a proprietary
forum.  I guess there is no chance of them going back to email access.
CRNG
12/20/2013 4:16:38 PM
Hallo CRNG,

> There may have been other reasons for JPS to move to a proprietary
> forum.  I guess there is no chance of them going back to email access.

There _was_ email access to the JP Soft support forum for a long time.
This dwindled to email notification (read only) after a change of forum
software and notification of new threads only a few months ago.

The few remaining but vociferous dinosaurs in the forum demanding their
email access were to few to sway Rex's (low) opinion of email access.

Fazit: if all the people who complained here would have chimed in in the
forum, we could perhaps have swayed Rex and still _have_ our beloved
email access and participate from our newsreader.

--
Herzliche Gr��e,

* Klaus Meinhard *
0
Klaus

drive to drive
if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? webwalker@68z28.com wrote: > if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is > there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? No. However there is the usual disadvantage, namely a higher probability of simultaneous failure. Arno -- Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F ---- Cuddly UI...

Drive A Not Drive A??
Hi I just got an old IDE zip 100 drive. On the back, it's label for the jumpers is split into 2 boxes, labelled "Not Drive A" and "Drive A". Each box shows three different jumper settings for how to set the drive to slave/master/cable. So in other words, there's six jumper settings on the back. Three for "Drive A" - master/slave/cable and three for "Not Drive A" - master/slave/cable which are different. What does "Drive A" or "Not Drive A" mean? I don't know which jumper settings diagram is right... In arti...

Two drives: OS on Drive 1, Progs on Drive 2, My Docs on which?
Hi I'm considering my partition options to give the best performance. I already have a single Western Digital Raptor WD1500 ADFD. I have my OS (XP Pro), applications and documents in separate partitions so obviously the drive head is having to spend a lot of time moving between them. I wondered what improvement might be gained if I bought a second WD1500 and changed where I store things. So would it be better to have the OS and apps in separate partitions on Drive 1 and My Docs on Drive 2? Or OS on 1, apps on 2, My Docs on which? Is there another arrangement you woul...

Do DAT drives have a drive letter?
Hi, I have a client that has a DAT drive and he wants me to help him backup 2 directories on his server. He runs Server 2003 and has a DAT drive installed, but no backup software. The total amount of data is about 3 GB. 1) I haven't used a DAT drive much, and I notice that there is no drive letter when I am in windows explorer. Is that normal? 2) What is the best way to automatically backup these directories? Thanks for your help! -Eric in FL Most people supporting Windows Server know it has built-in backup. Devices don't get a drive letter if they are sequential access. &quo...

Cloning OS drive to smaller drive
Is there any program that will clone your C drive and copy it over to a SMALLER DRIVE? I've messed with Drive Image and apparently I could do it only if it was a larger drive that I was moving the info to. I've fiddled with Ghost Corporate and I must be stupid because it seems like you need a degree majoring in the product. I've never messed with a more user unfriendly product. Xxcopy doesn't move the boot info on WinXP. DrivecloneXP and DriveImagerXP copies the same size partition I believe. Any suggestions? "ahh" <ahh@ahh.com> wrote in m...

Losing Drives - Finding Drives
I'm using a Dell 8400 w/Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2 - with all current updates) Problem: My comp can't find my drive(s) A few days back I bought some memory for my comp. The clerk in the store read the original packing slip from 3-4 years back on which it stated which type of memory my comp had. When I put in the memory he sold me, the comp went weird and came up with the blue screen of death. (I was grounded to the comp's metal chassis. so I doubt if the chips had gotten zapped. ) After I took the memory out, I saw that my comp was no longer finding my 2 outboar...

Hard Drive Enclosure Not Seeing Drive Letter
I purchased a USB hard drive enclosure hoping to make a copy of a hard drive from a damaged notebook. (I lose the video display on the notebook, but when it does work the hard drive itself seems fine.) I attached the drive to the enclosure (and used additional cable to use the PS-2 port for additional power). I tried attaching this to two different Win XP computers. In each case, there is no drive letter assigned to the new drive after connection. Device Manage shows the proper devices per the documentation, including a new hard drive, but there is no drive letter. I can feel the dri...

Get Drive and Partition Numbers from Drive Letter?
Is there a function to convert a Drive Letter (Like C: ) to a Drive and Partition number? (e.g. Drive 0, Partition 3) in the WIN32 API? I've looked in Kernel32 and some other disk-related code, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks! Computer Guru wrote: > Is there a function to convert a Drive Letter (Like C: ) to a Drive > and Partition number? (e.g. Drive 0, Partition 3) in the WIN32 API? > > I've looked in Kernel32 and some other disk-related code, but I can't > seem to find it. Get a handle to the storage volume by calling CreateFile with ...

Linux hard drive sequence ( Drive letter assignments )
Does Linux enumerate the hard drives in a different sequence than Windows? If I place a hard drive on my mobo's main primary IDE channel, it shows up as "C:" in Windows 2000 (the first hard drive), but as "/hde" in Linux. To get it to show up as "/hda", I need to place it on my mobo's primary IDE RAID channel (which is an on-board HighPoint). - David D P.S., I initially posted this is a different ng, but then decided that this ng would be more appropriate. My apologies for the cross-post. "David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@...

Windows Drive Letters & USB Flash Drives
I have a routine that is supposed to take a mat-file and transfer it to a USB flash drive. The problem I'm having is that Windows never seems to be able to give the same drive letter to removable media (like the flash drives). So when someone inserts 2 flash drives at the same time, the next letter is used for the drive name... and it stays that way until a reboot. Does anyone know how to detect (via registry perhaps?) what the drive actually is? -quo ...

Determine if windows drive letter is hard drive or optical from python?
Hi Folks- I'm trying to do a simple emulation of unix "locate" functionality in python for windows. Problem is I don't want to crawl/index optical drives. Do any of the windows people out there know how I can determine: 1. How many drives are on the system? (I could just iterate over the alphabet os.path.exists("%s:\\"%letter) ... is there a "windows" way of doing it?) 2. More importantly for those drives that exist, how do I determine if it is actually a harddrive? thanks matt Hi ! You can use WMI, for that. Michel Claveau "mh" &...

DOS drive letter -> INT 13h drive number?
I am currently using INT 2Fh AX=0803h to do this, but this function is not supported by FreeDOS. Is there an alternative? -- geezer@ | http://www.execpc.com/~geezer execpc.com | Write your own OS: http://www.execpc.com/~geezer/osd On 2003-11-15 NoEmailAds@execpc.com (Chris Giese) said: > DOS drive letter - INT 13h drive number? > I am currently using INT 2Fh AX=0803h to do this, but this > function is not supported by FreeDOS. Is there an alternative? Of course. In pseudo-code: 1. Capitalize the drive letter. 2. Subtract 41h from it. The ...

External USB drives grab extra drive letters when installed
System: Windows 98SE with the Microsoft USB driver patch, internal drive partitioned to C, D, E Drives: Maxtor 120 mb USB 2.0 ADS 3.5 shell with two different 3.5" drives When either of these external units are connected during bootup, they grab both drive letter D (pushing my internal drive partitions down) and the "later" letter as specified in control panel. This naturally screws up all my software paths. So for example the Maxtor drive appears as both drive D and drive G. When disconnected, the intended drive letter disappears as expected but the D:...

How to map DLT Tape drive as drive letter (Tapedisk, DATMAN, DTA)?
Hi there, is there a possibility to map a DLT drive as a drive letter. Something like Arcada Tapedisk, DATMAN or Veritas Direct Tape Access. These products seem outdated and not available anymore. Is there any recent Software available? Thanks. Software companes have gone away from emulating disk drives with tapes. The performance is horrible, and you can't emulate a real disk, just something that resembles a WORM drive. Users tend to forget the limitations and support becomes a nightmare. To do it properly, you have to combine disk and tape and create a HSM, which is a di...

Web resources about - Drive letter of current drive - comp.os.msdos.4dos

Ocean current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An ocean current is a continuous, directed movement of ocean water generated by the forces acting upon this mean flow , such as breaking waves ...

Ivan Milat’s younger brother Paul Milat gets angry in A Current Affair interview
... into a foul-mouthed tirade when approached by a TV crew about an alleged tenancy dispute. Paul Milat was approached for an interview by A Current ...

Examining the Current State of Social Marketing
... based on social media insights still presents a challenge to many marketing teams. An infographic from Morrison Foerster examines the current ...

Breakthrough battery prototype can store five times the energy of current Li-ion batteries
... for a so-called "lithium-oxygen" battery that is based on lithium superoxide (LiO 2 ) and can store up to five times the energy of current lithium-ion ...

Carolina Panthers' Current Success Rooted in Last Year's Difficult Decisions - Bleacher Report
Sometimes, difficult decisions made by an NFL organization can shift the entire paradigm of a franchise...

Al Jazeera America is giving up — 3 years after buying Al Gore’s Current TV for $500 million.
... and smart," covering American news "soberly and seriously." In prime time ratings, it struggled to get 30,000 viewers. But Gore's Current TV ...

Current Links
**Latest Links:** * **Heather Boushey**: [Finding Time: The Economics of Work-Life Conflict](http://amzn.to/1Nvxz1N) (Cambridge: Harvard University ...

Marc Andreessen predicted GoPro's current problems back when it filed to go public
GoPro shares are tanking more than 20% after the sports video camera maker warned of lower than expected holiday sales and announced plans to ...

No Current Plans For Live-Action Star Wars TV Series
While a Star Wars TV series may seem like a natural progression to the fans, especially with the [...]