djgpp, make under windwos => no rule to make target 'foo' :-(

Hi,

I have a plain standard installation of djgpp, but when I try to use make
with 100% valid make-files, I get an error saying:

make.exe: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop. (or equivalent for any
other command.

There IS a rule for 'all', and I am sure I use the make from the djgpp
distribution.

I get a similar message if I try to make for any other string.

Even if I specify the makefile (-f Makefile) I get the error.

Any idea what goes wrong?

Thanks in advance,

I use a fake senderaddress, hence unfortunately you can't reply to me by
mail.
The reason for this is 1000+ spam mails every week.

comp.os.msdos.djgpp 3308 articles. 2 followers. tigrepotrazosalvaje (34) is leader. Post Follow

> Even if I specify the makefile (-f Makefile) I get the error.

What editor did you use to edit the Makefile?  If you type "type
Makefile" does it print what you expect?
0
dj (1321)
10/8/2003 11:31:06 PM
> > Even if I specify the makefile (-f Makefile) I get the error.
>
> What editor did you use to edit the Makefile?  If you type "type
> Makefile" does it print what you expect?

I have tried two situations:
1) using a Makefile from a public package (seqio), and
2) editing the Makefile in emacs

Both cases gives me an error.

PS Sorry for forgetting: I have installed at Windows XP

            Ras

> Both cases gives me an error.

Try "make -dr all".  It spits out a lot, but it tells you which
Makefiles it's reading, and what's in them.
0
dj (1321)
10/9/2003 12:02:37 AM
thanks for kind assistance.

> Try "make -dr all".  It spits out a lot, but it tells you which
> Makefiles it's reading, and what's in them.

Have tried, but it gives me no usefull info :-(

Even if I try with full path (both unix, and windows style) I get the same
error :-(

Still any new suggestions?

    Thanks in advance,

                Rasmus

C:\SEQIO-~1.2>make -dr -fMakefile all
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i386-pc-msdosdjgpp
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-make@gnu.org>.

Reading makefiles...
Reading makefile `Makefile'...
Updating makefiles....
 Considering target file `Makefile'.
  File `Makefile' does not exist.
  Looking for an implicit rule for `Makefile'.
  No implicit rule found for `Makefile'.
  Finished prerequisites of target file `Makefile'.
 Must remake target `Makefile'.
make.exe: *** No rule to make target `Makefile'.  Stop.

C:\dev\birc\SEQIO-~1.2>

> C:\dev\birc\SEQIO-~1.2>

Ok, *this* helps.  Do not use c:\dev for your own files.  DJGPP
programs simulate a unix-style /dev and thus any existing /dev will be
hidden.

Also, avoid directory names that require long file names if you can.
0
dj (1321)
10/9/2003 12:32:29 AM
> Ok, *this* helps.  Do not use c:\dev for your own files.  DJGPP
> programs simulate a unix-style /dev and thus any existing /dev will be
> hidden.
>
> Also, avoid directory names that require long file names if you can.

Thanks.. I knew it - have made the same mistake once before... :-/

Thanks a lot. I'll move it imediatly!

Have a nice day,

compiling 'make' w/o 'make' (?)
Now that I am trying to install Debian from a CD, I found that the network card was not supported, I read that some dude had found a driver for the NIC in a MSI-M662 laptot, I myself don't know what kind of NIC is in this machine, I am going by what the dude claims. However, after downloading the alleged driver, I had to compile it, for that I need to have 'make', but this machine does not have the make program, after downloading it from the GNU' FTP site, I found out that I also have to build this program using 'make'. As you can see I am in a vicious circle, can any...

How to test python extension modules during 'make check' / 'make distcheck'?
Hi pythonians, I'm one of the maintainers of an open source image processing toolkit (OpenCV) and responsible for parts of the autotools setup. The package mainly consists of four shared libraries but is accompanied by a python package containing some pure python code and of course extension modules for the four libraries. Now during the last month we were preparing a major release which means testing, fixing, testing, fixing, ... in the first degree. Typical functionality of the shared libraries is verified during 'make check' and 'make distcheck' by binaries that are li...

(Bash completion) 'cd' and 'make'
'cd' and 'make' are the only 2 commands that I really appreciate and completion. For newbies, here are relevant section from my ~/.profile: First, 'cd' is redefined to use 'pushd' to build the directory stack (ie. popd, pushd, dirs). <C-t> is bound to 'popd', so that you can jump back to previous directories. If no match is found from directory stack, then filesystem directories will be tried. cd() { pushd "${1:-$HOME}" } bind -m vi-insert -x '"\C-t": popd' _cd () { local cur=${COMP_WORDS...

ports
I tried to install wireshark yesterday as an upgrade to ethereal. This will sound daft - but the ports system seems unable to 'make' certain targets. The install (via portupgrade) seemed to start with a 'make clean' - which promptly failed ("don't know how to make clean"). I forced it through by running 'make install' manually in the relevant directory. I had to repeat this procedure for a couple of dependencies - and now it's finished with "make: don't know how to make package-depends-list. Stop" Any ideas what may be adrift here please? All was well for the last port installation (I forget what/when that was). (Oh yes, I did cvsup the ports tree first, fwiw) -- Please use the corrected version of the address below for replies. Replies to the header address will be junked, as will mail from various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk) On Wednesday, in article <7cYzg.9045$ts3.4233@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net> usenet.11@spam.stopper.scottsonline.org.uk "Mike Scott" wrote: > I tried to install wireshark yesterday as an upgrade to ethereal. This > will sound daft - but the ports system seems unable to 'make' certain > targets. > > The install (via portupgrade) seemed to start with a 'make clean' - > which promptly failed ("don't know how t...

Compiling xpython: No rule to make target `runathana.py', needed by `frozen/frozen.c'.
I found an interesting project, it's a single 4.7 MB executable with stdlib+PIL+pdf r/w+magpy+wxpython environment But when compiling following the instructions http://www.xpython.org/#compiling there is an error make: *** No rule to make target `runathana.py', needed by `frozen/ frozen.c'. Stop. I am using Debian 4.0 32bit machine On Oct 10, 7:40=A0pm, est <electronix...@gmail.com> wrote: > I found an interesting project, it's a single 4.7 MB executable with > stdlib+PIL+pdf r/w+magpy+wxpython environment > > But when compiling following t...

biblatex: setting 'volume' field makes 'location' and 'year' be not displayed
I have set 'volume' field in my entry and I get (footnote-dw style) Author. Title. Vol 2, P. 12. instead of Author. Title. Location, Year. Vol 2, P. 12. If I delete 'volume' field I get Author. Title. Location, Year, P. 12. netimen wrote: > I have set 'volume' field in my entry and I get (footnote-dw style) > > Author. Title. Vol 2, P. 12. > > instead of > > Author. Title. Location, Year. Vol 2, P. 12. > > If I delete 'volume' field I get > > Author. Title. Location, Year, P. 12. I have to look into that. Could you provide a minimal example? I think if you use 'maintitle' instead of 'title', it should work, but as I said, I have to figure that out first. Regards, Dominik.- -- UK-TeX-FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html minimal example: http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html biblatex styles: http://biblatex.dominik-wassenhoven.de/?en netimen wrote: > I have set 'volume' field in my entry and I get (footnote-dw style) > > Author. Title. Vol 2, P. 12. > > instead of > > Author. Title. Location, Year. Vol 2, P. 12. > > If I delete 'volume' field I get > > Author. Title. Location, Year, P. 12. FYI: The OP wrote a personal mail to me and it came out that he just had a problem with the bib entry. After the 'volume' field, a comma was missing. Thus, BibTeX skipped all the fields that came after 'volume&#...

'portupgrade -a' without any 'make' menu pop-up?
Hi all, For some packages 'make' shows a text based GUI where one can select various compilation options for given port. Is there a way to compile all upgraded ports with default compilation selections? Upgrade is quite inconvenient when it is interrupted several times... Thanks! Marek Marek wrote: > Hi all, > > For some packages 'make' shows a text based GUI where one can select > various compilation options for given port. Is there a way to compile all > upgraded ports with default compilation selections? > > Upgrade is quite inconvenient when it is interrupted several times... > > Thanks! > Marek I don't think you can force it to use the defaults but if you have a lot of ports to upgrade then you could use "portupgrade --batch -a" which will skip any ports that require manual intervention. When portupgrade has finished it shows a list of ports which were not built. This should get most of your ports built without manual intervention. Then run portupgrade again without the "--batch" option. This should be much quicker than the first run and less inconvenient to keep an eye on. Before the second portupgrade run you could examine the list of ports which were not built in the first pass and run "make config" for selected individual ports. If I have a lot of ports to upgrade I use this approach to upgrade most of them overnight so I only have to sort o...

Acer ''Invilink_signal-up'' makes wireless disconnected
I have Acer Aspire 3000 series 3004WLCI notebook and it has Invilink- Signal_up feature as they alleges signal_up feature keep wireless awake and increases signal level...That is a fool. I am 3 metres away from my router and i frequently have disconnects (freezes) without using WZC of Windows(Broadcom BCM4318 Wireless utility). So-called, Acer's wireless signal-up technology increases wireless performance. Lie! The problem i'm having about freezing: While i'm surfing or downloading the net smoothly, randomly the data transfer(receive and sent, bi-directional) stops, no packets are received or sent anymore, I use Wireless Zero Configuration of XP Home SP2. But the connection does NOT seem disconnected and no logs in event viewer about this. I'm on channel 11 with my US Robotics 9108 MaxG router. Also there are some several wireless networks around my building. I tried channels 1,6,11 with same results. No problem with Cat5 wired connection. NOTE: The only solution is to disable/enable wireless adapter from ''network connections'' or to use ''repair'' option, then the connection establishes successfully. Also i'm using WPA-PSK with 22 digits. Thanks for the comments and helps. ...

converting strings to most their efficient types '1' --> 1, 'A' ---> 'A', '1.2'---> 1.2
Hello, I'm importing large text files of data using csv. I would like to add some more auto sensing abilities. I'm considing sampling the data file and doing some fuzzy logic scoring on the attributes (colls in a data base/ csv file, eg. height weight income etc.) to determine the most efficient 'type' to convert the attribute coll into for further processing and efficient storage... Example row from sampled file data: [ ['8','2.33', 'A', 'BB', 'hello there' '100,000,000,000'], [next row...] ....] Aside from a missing attribu...

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y" tells you whether x and y actually refer to the same object. In the case of singletons like None (there's only one None object), it's better to use "is". "ElChino" <elchino@cnn.cn>: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: Do the following: take two $10 bills. Hold one bill in the left hand, hold the other bill in the right hand. Now, the bill in the left hand "is not" the bill in the right hand. However, the bill in the left hand "==" the bill in the right hand. > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. In almost all cases, both tests would result in the same behavior. However, the "is not" test is conceptually the correct one since you want...

'^=' and '~='?

Precedence Rules for '$' and '^'
Hi there, I am author of lexertl (http://www.benhanson.net/lexertl.html), a lexer generator library, and I have recently added support for '^' and '$'. As position matching in regex is not described in any books I have looked at, does anyone know what the precedence rules should be? If an earlier rule starts with '$', does that mean that a subsequent rule starting with '^' has the '^' ignored? Thanks, Ben Hanson jamin.hanson@googlemail.com schrieb: > Hi there, > > I am author of lexertl (http://www.benhanson.net/lexertl.html), a > lexer ...

how to make <dis>'s behave like <td>'s?

Want to make ''Get Latest Status'' function more efficient
Hey folks, I'm looking at making the following query more efficient potentially using the ranking functions and I'd like some advice from the gurus. The purpose of the following is to have a status for a person, and also have a historical background as to what they've done, status wise. This was the best way I could come up with to do this a few years back, but I'm wondering if there's a better way with Sql 2005. Here's a toned down structure and my query. Any help/critique would be greatly appreciated. CREATE TABLE #Status( StatusID int NOT NULL, StatusName VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL, StatusCategoryID int NOT NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] CREATE TABLE #RegStatus( [RegistrationID] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL, [StatusID] [int] NOT NULL, [StatusTimeStamp] [datetime] NOT NULL, [UniqueRowID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] SET NOCOUNT on INSERT INTO #Status VALUES(200, 'StatusA', 1) INSERT INTO #Status VALUES(210, 'StatusB', 1) INSERT INTO #Status VALUES(115, 'StatusC', 1) INSERT INTO #Status VALUES(112, 'StatusD', 1) INSERT INTO #Status VALUES(314, 'StatusE', 1) INSERT INTO #Status VALUES(15, 'StatusF', 1) INSERT INTO #Status VALUES(22, 'StatusG', 1) INSERT INTO #Status VALUES(300, 'StatusX', 2) INSERT INTO #Status VALUES(310, 'StatusY', 2) INSERT INTO #Status VALUES(320, 'StatusZ', 2) INSERT INTO #RegStatus VALUES('7A6058D0-06CB-4E83-A8C4-B1AFC74B11F0', 2...

Making DLL's with DJGPP
Can anyone tell me where to find tutorials on how to compile programs in dll format in DJGPP compiler. Im a new programmer who needs to build some dll's :-) Fabio Lima wrote: > Can anyone tell me where to find tutorials on how to compile programs > in dll format in DJGPP compiler. > > Im a new programmer who needs to build some dll's :-) Have you tried searching the web for "tutorial djgpp dll"? You will have to ask the experts in another newsgroup since this newsgoup discusses the _standard_ C++ language which has no standard facilities for Dynamic Lin...

problem with DJGPP's make
Hello, Sometimes, when I build applications through the use of a makefile, Make doesn't quite respond as I would expect. Since my applications or libraries are in C++, I set gxx is my CC variable, but sometimes, make calles gpp instead, and also omits my include paths!! The strange thing is, that some files work correctly, and others don't. Example: CC = gxx CFLAGS = -c AR = ar ARFLAGS = -ru INCLUDE = -I .\ -I D:/Include TARGET = libio.a OBJS = \ FileByteSource.o SRCS = \ FileByteSource.cpp HDRS = index.h \ IByteSource.h \ FileByteSource.h $(TARGET) : $(OBJS) $(AR) $(ARFLAGS) $@ $< %.o : $(patsubst %.o, %cpp, $(OBJS)) $(HDRS) $(CC) $(CCFLAGS) $(INCLUDE) $@ $< when I try to make this, I see this on the commandline: gpp -c -o FileByteSource.o FileByteSource.cpp (notice the spaces between gpp and -c!) Of course, since the include paths are omited, the file fails to compile Yet some other files which are quite similar compile without any problem! Example: CC = gxx CCFLAGS = -c AR = ar ARFLAGS = -ru INCLUDE = -I .\ -I D:/Include SRC = BinTreeNode.cpp HDR = index.h \ BinTreeNode.h OBJ = BinTreeNode.o OUTPUT = libtree.a ## # Dependencies and build rules ## $(OUTPUT) : $(OBJ) $(AR) $(ARFLAGS) $(OUTPUT) $(OBJ) $(OBJ) : $(SRC) $(HDR) $(CC) $(CCFLAGS) $(INCLUDE) -o $@ $(SRC) gxx -c -I . -I D:/Include -o BinTreeNode.o BinTreeNode.cpp which is the correct output! Has anybody experienced this problem before? or does an...

gui/GUIDE 'Tools' -> 'Gui options' -> 'Resize behavior: Proportional'
Hi everyone I have a question about the 'Tools' -> 'Gui options' -> 'Resize behavior: Proportional' function of GUIDE. I tried to do the same by adding the following code to the _OpeningFcn of my GUIDE-generated gui: hUnits = findobj('-property', 'units'); set(hUnits, 'units', 'normalized'); set(h.figure1, 'resize', 'on'); set(h.figure1, 'position', [0, 0, .9, .9]); movegui(h.figure1, 'center'); This did not work. What is it, that the 'Resize behavior: Proportional' does apply to my gui. Can I do the same in the _OpeningFcn. (I ask this in view of the possibility that I will write a gui without GUIDE). With best regards Henry ...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal''''''''''''''
Hello fellow programmers, I am trying to run an append/update query from code, a command button on a form initiates the queries. the format i am using is; _____________________________________________________ SELECT "criteria" FROM "criteria" WHERE "criteria" UPDATE/APPEND "field selections" RecordSource "qryExample" = above text strings" _______________________________________________________________________ When i am running a SELECT query in this manner it works fine with no problems, and accepts the values of specified linked form fields. This never works when doing an APPEND/UPDATE query. It can never find the values of linked form fields, Access always asks for the parameter value of the field(s) in question, or Access comes up with an error 3323 - No recordset. I am sure there are other people that have had this problem. What is the difference between Select queries and append/update queries? the append/update queries never seem to be able to find values in linked form fields. Can anyone shed any light on this or point to a knowledgebase Item, or even recommend a book focusing on this subject, I will go and buy it now. I have been for up 2 nights trying to acomplish this and now considering suicide, please help. Thanks In advance, Aaron. I know of two ways you can accomplish this. 1. You can create the SQL script for you append or update query and run the script with DoCmd.RunSQL. 2. You can create a...

Wahlberg: I'm not making a Boston 'COPS'
Wahlberg: I'm not making a Boston 'COPS' http://adf.ly/2836760/news.yahoo.com/wahlberg-im-not-making-boston-cops-211914016.html ...

FoxPro '.' and xHarbour '->'

Java and 'make'
Hello,I have a question about using make as the build-utilitiy for Javaprograms. Please point me to a more appropriate news group if this isnot the group to discuss this.Here is the context of my question:------------------------------------------A 'Node' contains NetworkPackets. NetworkPackets have a source Node.My makefile captures this as:....Node.class: Node.java NetworkPacket.class javac Node.javaNetworkPacket.class: NetworkPacket.java Node.class javac NetworkPacket.java....First issue:------------With this, make discovers a cyclic dependency and drops it. I am surethat per the de...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wrong. HJ "Aaron" <aaron@rapid-motion.co.uk> wrote in message news:260d7f40.0408120245.2f3d01f8@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Thanks for ur help there HJ. > > I know how to do the tasks you specified there. > > I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the > fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, > DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the > values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; > > [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] > > a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. > > please help. > > Aaron First off, if you are not always using all the parameters specified in your form, then you have to add parameters to your query on the fly. Also, you can't just do something like qdf.SQL = "SE...

if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
Hi, there. =20 I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this line : if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.')=20 =20 Igor Kurbeko Clinical Programmer Analyst 678 336 4328 ikurbeko@atherogenics.com =20 no brain no pain =20 how about: if not (str_mo in ('','.') or str_da in ('','.') or str_yy in ('','.')) OR if not (missing(str_mo) or missing(str_da) or missing(str_yy)) Eric On 22 Oct 03 21:13:37 GMT, ikurbeko@ATHER...

what do errors mean when I run make and 'make install'? going crazy unable to install anything
I'm new to Linux and Unix. I don't know what the error messages mean when I try to install something. I've got a PC, 1.8ghz cpu, 1 gig ram, 160 gig hard drive, running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. Tonight I thought it be fun to install some chat software. Looked up a client. Read something about Jabber. Jabber's site pointed me to Gaim. Downloaded and tried to install Gaim. Was told that it needed Glib of version 2.0 or better. So I downloaded Glib 2.8.6. Apparently it won't install. I've got dependency issues. On the Glib site they mention dependencies. I down...

Web resources about - djgpp, make under windwos => no rule to make target 'foo' :-( - comp.os.msdos.djgpp