never thought DOS was still in use -;)

Message en plusieurs parties au format MIME
--=_alternative 001EC162C1256E77_=

This one was to make you react on the subject.

I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or people at
home !
--=_alternative 001EC162C1256E77_=

--=_alternative 001EC162C1256E77_=--
0
nospam
4/15/2004 5:39:32 AM
comp.os.msdos.misc 1126 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Here in comp.os.msdos.misc, nospam@nowhere.com spake unto us, saying:

>I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or people at
>home !

I still use DOS for a number of things at home including:

 * Running DOS programs which don't work under OS/2 or Windows
 * Creating/Restoring system backups

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
     Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 05:39:32 +0000 (UTC), nospam@nowhere.com wrote:

>This one was to make you react on the subject.
>
>I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or people at
>home !

I use it at home. My computer has 3 boot options: Linux (for work),
Win2k (for games), and MS-DOS 7.1 (for everything else). Once I'm in
DOS, I also have the option of loading Win98 if I want to (though I
rarely do any more). I also run MS-DOS 6.22 under Virtual PC.

IBM still sells their version of DOS (US$67), and estimates that there
are still over 100 million users of DOS. DR-DOS (in its various
incarnations) is relatively popular (though it may seem a bit more
"underground"). There is at least one project online to make an MS-DOS
compatible Open Source DOS - FreeDOS:
    http://www.freedos.org/
....not to mention a few other, non-Open Source projects.
--
auric "underscore" "underscore" "at" hotmail "dot" com
*****
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 05:39:32 +0000 (UTC), nospam@nowhere.com wrote:

>This one was to make you react on the subject.
>
>I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or people at
>home !

The company I work for still uses DOS in its main product, with Watcom
C/C++ and DOS4GW.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'
0
John
4/15/2004 8:29:24 AM
On 2004-04-15 nospam@nowhere.com said:

   > This one was to make you react on the subject.
   >
   > I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or
   > people at home !

Oui, je utile DR-DOS dans tous mes computeurs -- cinque.

'Fenetres' est merde.

0
DOS
4/15/2004 6:47:20 PM
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 05:39:32 +0000 (UTC), nospam@nowhere.com wrote:

>This one was to make you react on the subject.
>
>I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or people at
>home !

6.22 is still used commercially, alot. The problem is comming up with
5 or 10 new copies every time a customer needs them.

0
Ajax
4/18/2004 6:22:51 AM
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Ajax� wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 05:39:32 +0000 (UTC), nospam@nowhere.com wrote:
>
> >This one was to make you react on the subject.
> >
> >I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or people at
> >home !
>
> 6.22 is still used commercially, alot. The problem is comming up with
> 5 or 10 new copies every time a customer needs them.

    I believe that DR-DOS can still be had under commercial license.
There is a new version just out, 8.0.  I'm sure that it can do
everything MS-DOS 6.22 can do and more.

--
Paul Bartlett
bartlett "at" smart "dot" net
"Paul O. BARTLETT" wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Ajax� wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 05:39:32 +0000 (UTC), nospam@nowhere.com wrote:
>>
>> >This one was to make you react on the subject.
>> >
>> >I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or people at
>> >home !
>>
>> 6.22 is still used commercially, alot. The problem is comming up with
>> 5 or 10 new copies every time a customer needs them.
>
>I believe that DR-DOS can still be had under commercial license.
>There is a new version just out, 8.0.  I'm sure that it can do
>everything MS-DOS 6.22 can do and more.

But IIRC you have to buy either a 5-pack for $200
or a distribution license for $20.000

--
Greetings
Matthias

'Lo Matthias:

Group: comp.os.msdos.misc Date: Mon, Apr 19, 2004, 12:38am (CDT+7) From:
Matthias@Tacke.de (Matthias=A0Tacke)

script:

>But IIRC you have to buy either a
>5-pack for $200 or a distribution
>license for $20.000

That's the way it was while Lineo owned it.  Last time that I was at the
new site (is it "DeviceLogic"?) they were selling indivdual copies
starting at $30US, or thereabouts.  Been a while, tho.

salaam,
dowcom

--
  To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom".  i.e.:
dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

MSWindows is television,=85 Linux is radar.

0
dowcom
4/20/2004 5:29:59 AM
bud wrote:

>'Lo Matthias:
>
>Group: comp.os.msdos.misc Date: Mon, Apr 19, 2004, 12:38am (CDT+7) From:
>Matthias@Tacke.de (Matthias�Tacke)
>
>script:
>
>>But IIRC you have to buy either a
>>5-pack for $200 or a distribution
>>license for $20.000
>
>That's the way it was while Lineo owned it.  Last time that I was at the
>new site (is it "DeviceLogic"?) they were selling indivdual copies
>starting at $30US, or thereabouts.  Been a while, tho.

No, just did a memory test. DrDos 8.0 was the subject:
http://www.drdos.com/products/drdos80.htm 5pack $200
http://www.drdos.com/products/drdos703.htm single $29
http://www.drdos.com/products/bootable.htm $20

--
Greetings
Matthias
<bartlett@smart.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Ajax� wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 05:39:32 +0000 (UTC), nospam@nowhere.com wrote:
>>
>> >This one was to make you react on the subject.
>> >
>> >I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or people at
>> >home !
>>
>> 6.22 is still used commercially, alot. The problem is comming up with
>> 5 or 10 new copies every time a customer needs them.
>
>    I believe that DR-DOS can still be had under commercial license.
>There is a new version just out, 8.0.  I'm sure that it can do
>everything MS-DOS 6.22 can do and more.

Yes it is, yes it will. Problem is it's not approved for a secure
environment. Maybe it will be in the future. Who knows, it may even
beat XP to that status.

0
Ajax
4/21/2004 3:36:57 AM
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:38:27 +0200, "Matthias Tacke"
<Matthias@Tacke.de> wrote:

>"Paul O. BARTLETT" wrote:

>>> 6.22 is still used commercially, alot. The problem is comming up with
>>> 5 or 10 new copies every time a customer needs them.
>>
>>I believe that DR-DOS can still be had under commercial license.
>>There is a new version just out, 8.0.  I'm sure that it can do
>>everything MS-DOS 6.22 can do and more.
>>
>But IIRC you have to buy either a 5-pack for $200

Yes. Already did.

>or a distribution license for $20.000

Even m$ didn't charge oem's that.

0
Ajax
4/21/2004 3:38:12 AM
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:29:59 -0500, dowcom@webtv.net (bud) wrote:

>'Lo Matthias:
>
>Group: comp.os.msdos.misc Date: Mon, Apr 19, 2004, 12:38am (CDT+7) From:
>Matthias@Tacke.de (Matthias�Tacke)
>
>script:
>
>>But IIRC you have to buy either a
>>5-pack for $200 or a distribution
>>license for $20.000
>
>That's the way it was while Lineo owned it.  Last time that I was at the
>new site (is it "DeviceLogic"?) they were selling indivdual copies
>starting at $30US, or thereabouts.  Been a while, tho.

nolonger sell individual licenses. Just 5+ and oem license now.

>salaam,
>dowcom

0
Ajax
4/21/2004 3:39:22 AM

'Lo Matthias:

Group: comp.os.msdos.misc Date: Tue, Apr 20, 2004, 4:00pm (CDT+7) From:
Matthias@Tacke.de (Matthias=A0Tacke)

script:

>No, just did a memory test. DrDos 8.0
>was the subject: >http://www.drdos.com/products/drdos80.htm
>5pack $200
>http://www.drdos.com/products/drdos703.htm >single $29
>http://www.drdos.com/products/bootable.htm
>$20

Thanks for the update.

salaam,
dowcom

--
  To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom".  i.e.:
dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

MSWindows is television,=85 Linux is radar.

0
dowcom
4/21/2004 7:04:40 AM

'Lo Ajax:

Group: comp.os.msdos.misc Date: Tue, Apr 20, 2004, 10:39pm From:
Ajax022@hot_NoSpaM_mail.com (Ajax=AE)

script:

>nolonger sell individual licenses. Just
>5+ and oem license now.

Pity.

salaam,
dowcom

--
  To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom".  i.e.:
dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

MSWindows is television,=85 Linux is radar.

0
dowcom
4/21/2004 7:08:30 AM
The current version of Dr-DOS 8.0 is for OEMs only, and may include some
bugs (beta). But if it is tested enough it will also give a desktop
verion/single user license!

Bye, Flo

>>But IIRC you have to buy either a 5-pack for $200
>

> Yes. Already did.
>

>>or a distribution license for $20.000
>

> Even m$ didn't charge oem's that.

0
Florian

------=_NextPart_000_0230_01C428A5.5EE99DE0

There is a well developed  DOS 7.1 on
this very interesting site
http://newdos.yginfo.net/msdos71/

  <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message =

  This one was to make you react on the subject.=20

  I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or people at =
home !
------=_NextPart_000_0230_01C428A5.5EE99DE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There is a well developed&nbsp; DOS 7.1 =

on</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>this very interesting site</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://newdos.yginfo.net/msdos71/">http://newdos.yginfo.net/msdos=
71/</A></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>&lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:nospam@nowhere.com">nospam@nowhere.com</A>&gt; wrote=20
  in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:c5l76k$vif$1@s1.read.news.oleane.net">news:c5l76k$vif$1@s1.r=
ead.news.oleane.net</A>...</DIV><BR><FONT=20
  face=3Dsans-serif size=3D1>This one was to make you react on the =
subject.</FONT>=20
  <BR><BR><FONT face=3Dsans-serif size=3D1>I was just wondering if DOS =
was still in=20
  use by companies or people at home !</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0230_01C428A5.5EE99DE0--

0
AAH
4/22/2004 7:07:30 PM
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:07:30 +0000 (UTC), "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net>
wrote:

>There is a well developed  DOS 7.1 on
>this very interesting site
>http://newdos.yginfo.net/msdos71/
>

>  <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:c5l76k$vif$1@s1.read.news.oleane.net...
>
>  This one was to make you react on the subject.
>
>  I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or people at home !

Yes. m$dos is still used by companies.

0
Ajax
4/22/2004 8:05:48 PM
Ajax� a �crit :

> Yes. m$dos is still used by companies.

Here is an example of how DOS can be used professionaly:

http://www.jkmicro.com/

DOS is not dead!
0
Francois
4/23/2004 8:43:14 PM
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:43:14 +0200, Francois
<francoisg@NOSPAMifrance.com> wrote:

>Ajax� a �crit :
>

>> Yes. m$dos is still used by companies.
>
>Here is an example of how DOS can be used professionaly:
>
>http://www.jkmicro.com/
>
>DOS is not dead!

at $98 per, it's a bunch cheaper than allen-bradley stuff.  :-)

0
Ajax
4/24/2004 12:44:11 AM
"DOS Guy" <dosguy@M$-Sucks.org> wrote in message

> On 2004-04-15 nospam@nowhere.com said:
>
>    > This one was to make you react on the subject.
>    >
>    > I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or
>    > people at home !
>
> Oui, je utile DR-DOS dans tous mes computeurs -- cinque.
>
> 'Fenetres' est merde.

"'Fenetres' est merde."

I like it. I may use that phrase as my signature!

--
Mabden
'Fenetres' est merde.

0
Mabden
5/18/2004 7:44:55 PM
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:29:24 +0000 (UTC), John McCabe
<john@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 05:39:32 +0000 (UTC), nospam@nowhere.com wrote:
>
>>This one was to make you react on the subject.
>>
>>I was just wondering if DOS was still in use by companies or people at
>>home !
>
>The company I work for still uses DOS in its main product, with Watcom
>C/C++ and DOS4GW.

Just an FYI, working on the assumption that you don't know, Watcom's
now Open Source and being actively worked on.  It's now "Open Watcom",
http://www.openwatcom.org/ .  There's also a news server at
news.openwatcom.org.  They're working (slowly, but surely) on fixing
outstanding bugs and bringing it up to C99.  The Fortran compiler's
also a part of Open Watcom.  And you might like to check out the
CauseWay DOS extender, which is IMHO a superior alternative to DOS4G.

--
Andrew

0
Andrew