Graphics Mapping App?

Are there any OS/2 apps running -- besides XAct -- which would be able to
plot a data set on a map background given geographical coordinates?  Anything
from Unix/Linux which has been cross-compiled?

It is not necessary the data is displayed on the monitor but rather that a
standard graphics output file is created which can then be used by another
application.

TIA.

0
Hakan
5/22/2004 12:19:14 AM
comp.os.os2.apps 3115 articles. 0 followers. ktmeringtonNOSPAM (8) is leader. Post Follow

Do you count Java apps?
<www.cohort.com>
CoPlot runs on OS/2 (I tried it) and seems to have facilities for
plotting on maps (Orthographic, Mercator, and Conic)

Actually, 1-2-3 also handles maps, it may do what you want. It's
different than dedicated plotting apps, each region on a map is
hard-coded by some .. well, code I guess, so that it can be referred to.

Isaac

Hakan wrote:
> Are there any OS/2 apps running -- besides XAct -- which would be able to
> plot a data set on a map background given geographical coordinates?  Anything
> from Unix/Linux which has been cross-compiled?
>
> It is not necessary the data is displayed on the monitor but rather that a
> standard graphics output file is created which can then be used by another
> application.
>
> TIA.

0
isleung (72)
5/22/2004 4:06:11 AM
On Sat, 22 May 2004 00:19:14 UTC, "Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Are there any OS/2 apps running -- besides XAct -- which would be able to
> plot a data set on a map background given geographical coordinates?  Anything
> from Unix/Linux which has been cross-compiled?

The Generic Mapping Tools (GMT). See
http://internet.cybermesa.com/~acogbill/gmt/gmt4os2.html. You can get
the OS/2 stuff from Hobbes and the rest (manuals, data sets) via the GMT
home page at http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/.

> It is not necessary the data is displayed on the monitor but rather that a
> standard graphics output file is created which can then be used by another
> application.

GMT produces EPS.
--
"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden
On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:06:11 -0700, Isaac wrote:

:>Do you count Java apps?
:><www.cohort.com>
:>CoPlot runs on OS/2 (I tried it) and seems to have facilities for
:>plotting on maps (Orthographic, Mercator, and Conic)

I have looked quickly at their website -- they also have a DOS-version of the
packages.

:>
:>Actually, 1-2-3 also handles maps, it may do what you want. It's
:>different than dedicated plotting apps, each region on a map is
:>hard-coded by some .. well, code I guess, so that it can be referred to.

I did look at 1-2-3 but it would fulfill only the most basic of mapping
needs.

Thank you for the suggestions.

:>
:>
:>Isaac
:>
:>Hakan wrote:
:>> Are there any OS/2 apps running -- besides XAct -- which would be able to
:>> plot a data set on a map background given geographical coordinates?  Anything
:>> from Unix/Linux which has been cross-compiled?
:>>
:>> It is not necessary the data is displayed on the monitor but rather that a
:>> standard graphics output file is created which can then be used by another
:>> application.
:>>
:>> TIA.
:>>
:>>
:>>

0
Hakan
5/23/2004 8:31:19 PM
On 23 May 2004 12:50:57 GMT, Christian Hennecke wrote:

:>On Sat, 22 May 2004 00:19:14 UTC, "Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:
:>
:>> Are there any OS/2 apps running -- besides XAct -- which would be able to
:>> plot a data set on a map background given geographical coordinates?  Anything
:>> from Unix/Linux which has been cross-compiled?
:>
:>The Generic Mapping Tools (GMT). See
:>http://internet.cybermesa.com/~acogbill/gmt/gmt4os2.html. You can get
:>the OS/2 stuff from Hobbes and the rest (manuals, data sets) via the GMT
:>home page at http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/.

Interesting -- will look into that closer!

:>
:>> It is not necessary the data is displayed on the monitor but rather that a
:>> standard graphics output file is created which can then be used by another
:>> application.
:>
:>GMT produces EPS.

That should suffice for importing it into a word processing program or
something else.

Thank you.

:>--
:>"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden

0
Hakan
5/23/2004 8:32:34 PM
On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:32:34 UTC, "Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> :>The Generic Mapping Tools (GMT). See
> :>http://internet.cybermesa.com/~acogbill/gmt/gmt4os2.html. You can get
> :>the OS/2 stuff from Hobbes and the rest (manuals, data sets) via the GMT
> :>home page at http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/.
>
> Interesting -- will look into that closer!

If you decide to use it, *please* drop Alan Cogbill a note. He ported
several versions of GMT, but didn't receive much feedback except mine.
Maybe new users would persuade him to release an updated version that
includes all those bug fixes that have been applied to the main GMT
since 3.4.

> :>GMT produces EPS.
>
> That should suffice for importing it into a word processing program or
> something else.

The output quality is very high IMO.
--
On 24 May 2004 09:19:11 GMT, Christian Hennecke wrote:

:>On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:32:34 UTC, "Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:=

:>
:>> :>The Generic Mapping Tools (GMT). See
:>> :>http://internet.cybermesa.com/~acogbill/gmt/gmt4os2.html. You can =
get
:>> :>the OS/2 stuff from Hobbes and the rest (manuals, data sets) via t=
he GMT
:>> :>home page at http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/.
:>>
:>> Interesting -- will look into that closer!
:>
:>If you decide to use it, *please* drop Alan Cogbill a note. He ported =

:>several versions of GMT, but didn't receive much feedback except mine.=

:>Maybe new users would persuade him to release an updated version that =

:>includes all those bug fixes that have been applied to the main GMT
:>since 3.4.

I looked at the examples on the GMT website and they look /very/ good.  =
Now I
need to find the maps I need to map onto, e.g, Europe with country borde=
rs,
different European countries with administrative regions, e.g, L=E4nder =
in
Germany, l=E4n in Sweden, and finally, maps with zip code areas marked o=
n them
so I can map variables to individual zip codes.  I have joined the GMT
mailing list and posted a question re availability of these base maps.

:>
:>> :>GMT produces EPS.
:>>
:>> That should suffice for importing it into a word processing program =
or
:>> something else.
:>
:>The output quality is very high IMO.

That certainly seems to be correct!

Thank you for drawing my attention to GMT!

:>--
:>"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden

0
Hakan
5/24/2004 4:15:43 PM

Christian Hennecke wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:32:34 UTC, "Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>

>>:>The Generic Mapping Tools (GMT). See
>>:>http://internet.cybermesa.com/~acogbill/gmt/gmt4os2.html. You can get
>>:>the OS/2 stuff from Hobbes and the rest (manuals, data sets) via the GMT
>>:>home page at http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/.
>>
>>Interesting -- will look into that closer!
>

> If you decide to use it, *please* drop Alan Cogbill a note. He ported
> several versions of GMT, but didn't receive much feedback except mine.
> Maybe new users would persuade him to release an updated version that
> includes all those bug fixes that have been applied to the main GMT
> since 3.4.

Eh? This looks very handy even for generic plots of any sort!

Maybe he has not received any feedback because nobody knows about it? I
don't recall seeing this announced on any of the usual sites or mailing
lists, but I could've missed something.

I'll take it for a spin and drop him a note...

Isaac

0
isleung (72)
5/27/2004 4:09:11 PM
On Thu, 27 May 2004 16:09:11 UTC, Isaac
<isleung@NOSPAM.interchange.ubc.ca> wrote:

> > If you decide to use it, *please* drop Alan Cogbill a note. He ported
> > several versions of GMT, but didn't receive much feedback except mine.
> > Maybe new users would persuade him to release an updated version that
> > includes all those bug fixes that have been applied to the main GMT
> > since 3.4.
>
> Eh? This looks very handy even for generic plots of any sort!
>
> Maybe he has not received any feedback because nobody knows about it? I
> don't recall seeing this announced on any of the usual sites or mailing
> lists, but I could've missed something.

I think the ports were announced via VOICE News and OS2.org. The problem
is that GMT is Unixy command line stuff and as such not for the faint of
heart - at least not for those who easily lose their patience.
--
On Mon, 24 May 2004 12:15:43 -0400 (EDT), Hakan wrote:

:>On 24 May 2004 09:19:11 GMT, Christian Hennecke wrote:
:>
:>:>On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:32:34 UTC, "Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrot=
e:
:>:>
:>:>> :>The Generic Mapping Tools (GMT). See
:>:>> :>http://internet.cybermesa.com/~acogbill/gmt/gmt4os2.html. You ca=
n get
:>:>> :>the OS/2 stuff from Hobbes and the rest (manuals, data sets) via=
 the GMT
:>:>> :>home page at http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/.
:>:>>
[...]

:>:>--
:>:>"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden
:>
:>

Having looked at GMT, I am /very/ impressed by what it does (yes, I did =
drop
an e-mail to Allan Cogbill with my compliments but have not heard anythi=
ng
back.)  The approach taken by GMT, i.e, providing a variety of small
command-line driven apps, well delimited in their functionality, where t=
he
output of one is piped into the next, is quite appealing for generating
graph, particularly if one has to generate the same type of graphs over =
and
over again.

My question is, has anyone come across something similar for generating
"business"-type graphs?  OS/2 apps would of course be preferable but DOS=
 apps
would also work.  BTW, GMT generates EPS files, excellent for publishing=
, but
bitmaps would do fine for the need I described above.

Hakan

0
Hakan
6/12/2004 5:28:00 PM
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:28:00 -0400 (EDT), Hakan <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>On Mon, 24 May 2004 12:15:43 -0400 (EDT), Hakan wrote:
>
>:>On 24 May 2004 09:19:11 GMT, Christian Hennecke wrote:
>:>
>:>:>On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:32:34 UTC, "Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>:>:>
>:>:>> :>The Generic Mapping Tools (GMT). See
>:>:>> :>http://internet.cybermesa.com/~acogbill/gmt/gmt4os2.html. You can get
>:>:>> :>the OS/2 stuff from Hobbes and the rest (manuals, data sets) via the GMT
>:>:>> :>home page at http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/.
>:>:>>
>:>:>> Interesting -- will look into that closer!
>:>:>
>:>:>If you decide to use it, *please* drop Alan Cogbill a note. He ported
>:>:>several versions of GMT, but didn't receive much feedback except mine.
>:>:>Maybe new users would persuade him to release an updated version that
>:>:>includes all those bug fixes that have been applied to the main GMT
>:>:>since 3.4.
>:>
>
>Having looked at GMT, I am /very/ impressed by what it does (yes, I did drop
>an e-mail to Allan Cogbill with my compliments but have not heard anything
>back.)  The approach taken by GMT, i.e, providing a variety of small
>command-line driven apps, well delimited in their functionality, where the
>output of one is piped into the next, is quite appealing for generating
>graph, particularly if one has to generate the same type of graphs over and
>over again.
>
>My question is, has anyone come across something similar for generating
>"business"-type graphs?  OS/2 apps would of course be preferable but DOS apps
>would also work.  BTW, GMT generates EPS files, excellent for publishing, but
>bitmaps would do fine for the need I described above.

Hi Hakan,

 you may wish to check out either GLE (free and on hobbes as gle33h) or,
 fo the pie chart sort of thing, XAct 8 (http://www.scilab.de).

  Cheers, Stefan

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:15:43 UTC, "Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> opined:
> On 24 May 2004 09:19:11 GMT, Christian Hennecke wrote:
>
> :>On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:32:34 UTC, "Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> I looked at the examples on the GMT website and they look /very/ good.  Now I
> need to find the maps I need to map onto, e.g, Europe with country borders,
> different European countries with administrative regions, e.g, L�nder in
> Germany, l�n in Sweden, and finally, maps with zip code areas marked on them
> so I can map variables to individual zip codes.  I have joined the GMT
> mailing list and posted a question re availability of these base maps.

Hakan...

Before I join the the GMT mailing list to ask the question: Have you found
sources for such basic maps?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

0
SPAM_FOILER (612)

:
[...]

Hi Stan,

I had to put my project a hold a bit due to other things taking preceden=
ce
but my understanding is that GMT itself knows of /national/ boundaries. =
did search for maps of some countries in Europe which would be compatibl=
with GMT but did not find any (yet.)  What I did find were maps which /m=
ight/
be convertible to the format used by GMT -- more investigations needed. =

Also, my preference is for the maps to be free, while in general this ty=
pe of
information is much harder to find in Europe compared to the U.S. it als=
often carries a charge...  The U.S. doctrine that if the tax payers paid=
 for
it, it should be available for free, is wonderful!

Hakan

:>
:>--
:>Stan Goodman
:>Qiryat Tiv'on
:>Israel
:>
:>Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.
:>
:>To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Pleas=
e do
:>not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments =

:>without telling me beforehand.
:>

0
Hakan
6/14/2004 5:31:53 PM
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 06:36:40 +0000 (UTC), Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:

:>On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:28:00 -0400 (EDT), Hakan <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:
:>>On Mon, 24 May 2004 12:15:43 -0400 (EDT), Hakan wrote:
:>>
:>>:>On 24 May 2004 09:19:11 GMT, Christian Hennecke wrote:
:>>:>
:>>:>:>On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:32:34 UTC, "Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:
:>>:>:>
:>>:>:>> :>The Generic Mapping Tools (GMT). See
:>>:>:>> :>http://internet.cybermesa.com/~acogbill/gmt/gmt4os2.html. You can get
:>>:>:>> :>the OS/2 stuff from Hobbes and the rest (manuals, data sets) via the GMT
:>>:>:>> :>home page at http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/.
:>>:>:>>
[...]

Thank you Stefan, will do.  I have surfed Hobbes but did not catch GLE.  I
did find another program with (limited) capabilities, MathPlot2, which does
allow charts to be created from the command-line.  I have also surfed the
Adobe website and downloaded the docs on the EPS-format since I think GMT
made an excellent choice in choosing EPS as the output format.  EPS is a good
choice, not only because it is resolution-independent but also because it
uses ASCII-characters only.  Last, an EPS file can always be converted into a
bitmap file should it be necessary.

:>
:>  Cheers, Stefan
:>
:>>
:>>Hakan
:>>
:>>

0
Hakan
6/14/2004 5:36:05 PM
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:36:05 -0400 (EDT), Hakan <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 06:36:40 +0000 (UTC), Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
>
>:>On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:28:00 -0400 (EDT), Hakan <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>:>>On Mon, 24 May 2004 12:15:43 -0400 (EDT), Hakan wrote:

[snip]

>:>>
>:>>Having looked at GMT, I am /very/ impressed by what it does (yes, I did drop
>:>>an e-mail to Allan Cogbill with my compliments but have not heard anything
>:>>back.)  The approach taken by GMT, i.e, providing a variety of small
>:>>command-line driven apps, well delimited in their functionality, where the
>:>>output of one is piped into the next, is quite appealing for generating
>:>>graph, particularly if one has to generate the same type of graphs over and
>:>>over again.
>:>>
>:>>My question is, has anyone come across something similar for generating
>:>>"business"-type graphs?  OS/2 apps would of course be preferable but DOS apps
>:>>would also work.  BTW, GMT generates EPS files, excellent for publishing, but
>:>>bitmaps would do fine for the need I described above.
>:>
>:>Hi Hakan,
>:>
>:> you may wish to check out either GLE (free and on hobbes as gle33h) or,
>:> fo the pie chart sort of thing, XAct 8 (http://www.scilab.de).
>
>Thank you Stefan, will do.  I have surfed Hobbes but did not catch GLE.

It lives in /pub/os2/apps/graphics/draw, three zip files, one of them is
extensive documenation. I usually run it from within a makefile,
actually, and it produces publishing quality graphs as eps files.

>I did find another program with (limited) capabilities, MathPlot2,
>which does allow charts to be created from the command-line.

Hm, you may wish to check out gnuplot then as well,
http://www.gnuplot.org/ will point you to an OS/2 version, too. Very
neat.

>I have also surfed the Adobe website and downloaded the docs on the
>EPS-format since I think GMT made an excellent choice in choosing EPS
>as the output format.  EPS is a good choice, not only because it is
>resolution-independent but also because it uses ASCII-characters only.
>Last, an EPS file can always be converted into a bitmap file should it
>be necessary.

Absolutely true. That's why GLE and gnuplot do support eps output nicely.

Cheers, Stefan

"Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
[...]

One program that is nice to have on your computer if your data is in ASCII
x,y form is StegPlot (STPlot). Back when they allowed me to use OS/2 at
work, I always had it as the default program to open all my ASCII x, y
datasets. It is smart enough to skip over the header and plot the data
onscrenn very quickly, no matter what delimiter separated the x, y pair. I
used to impress the Windows users by double clicking on a data file and
having StegPlot pop up to show a plot of the data, then use the open dialog
from the icon to open up 1-2-3, LinePlot, RPlot or Xact to also plot the
data and allow easier labeling, etc. I still hate that Windows only allows
one program association for each type of file.

Joe

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:52:44 -0400, Joe Osman wrote:

:>"Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
:>news:utnqyrezrqqngnvappbz.hz7huo1.pminews@news.snip.net...
:>On Mon, 24 May 2004 12:15:43 -0400 (EDT), Hakan wrote:
:>
:>:>On 24 May 2004 09:19:11 GMT, Christian Hennecke wrote:
:>:>
:>:>:>On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:32:34 UTC, "Hakan" <bitbucket@127.0.0.1> wr=
ote:
:>:>:>
:>:>:>> :>The Generic Mapping Tools (GMT). See
:>:>:>> :>http://internet.cybermesa.com/~acogbill/gmt/gmt4os2.html. You =
can
:>get
:>:>:>> :>the OS/2 stuff from Hobbes and the rest (manuals, data sets) v=
ia the
:>GMT
:>:>:>> :>home page at http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/.
:>:>:>>
:>:>:>> Interesting -- will look into that closer!
:>:>:>
:>:>:>If you decide to use it, *please* drop Alan Cogbill a note. He por=
ted
:>:>:>several versions of GMT, but didn't receive much feedback except m=
ine.
:>:>:>Maybe new users would persuade him to release an updated version t=
hat
:>:>:>includes all those bug fixes that have been applied to the main GM=
:>:>:>since 3.4.
:>:>
[...]
:>:>:>--
[...]

Thank you, Joe.

:>
:>
:>
:>
:>-----=3D Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =3D-----
:>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
:>-----=3D=3D  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =3D-----

0
Hakan

Hovsepian: Apps! Apps! Apps!
Novell CEO: Apps Are Job No. 1 for Linux http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=021001VE8HV3 <<< In order for Linux to grow into the computing mainstream, the open- source OS needs more applications and a standardized approach to software certification, Novell CEO Ron Hovsepian said in his keynote Wednesday at the LinuxWorld conference and trade show in San Francisco. "The No. 1 thing that we need on Linux is applications," he said. "Whether we like it or not, the application is what drives the final customer decision," he added. >>> John Bail...

App Store.app
I just updated to 10.6.6, and was playing with the App Store.app. I wanted to DL a couple of the free apps, but discovered that to DL _anything_, you need to register a credit card. Since I dislike leaving any credit card info in any vendor's database, I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid this part of the registration process, entering your credit card info ONLY when needed to make a specific purchase. -- iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) � OS X (10.6.6) On 28/01/11 17:29, Nick Naym wrote: > I just updated to 10.6.6, and was playing with ...

An app to find apps
Enjoying an IPad 3 and wondered if there is an app to search for and find apps. With 600,000 apps it might make sense. In article <johg9a$dal$1@dont-email.me>, Charles <charlesschuler@comcast.net> wrote: > Enjoying an IPad 3 and wondered if there is an app to search for and find > apps. With 600,000 apps it might make sense. the app store app, along with a number of other apps that list apps of the day or other things. or just launch safari (or another browser) and search via google. On Thu, 10 May 2012 18:42:50 -0400, Charles wrote: > Enjoying ...

Crypto-Apps: Ciphers App-1 and App-2.
These ciphers are available now for free downloading from, http://www.adacryptpages.com (navigate to the bottom title boxes). Crypto-App Ciphers - Apps_1 & 2. - Personalised Cryptography for Tablets, L= aptops, Desktop, Main Frame Computers in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8. Download App_1=20 Download App_2=20 No need to study the cryptography, the mathematics, the programming, the co= mputer science (unless you really want to and then you just peruse the othe= r title boxes on the same site) - instead, just teach yourself to run these= 'apps' as you would any other app...

Counter in app class possible? (OS X app)
Mine program does hides it's window when the user press the quit (red x in the window) button. When the user clicks on the icon in the dock the application will appear again. This is done by the window.show command in the app class by activate. But I want that the program when it is hidden in the dock will check the time. When the time is for example 13:00h he must activate itself automatically. How can I do this? Billy On 12.04.2005 11:23Soir, in __W6e.63391$F66.4499553@phobos.telenet-ops.be, �Billy� <Billy@pebbels.be> wrote: > Mine program does hides ...

Why Make OS X Apps End with ".app?"
Is there a good reason to do that? In article <a8696178.0307241254.2149c67a@posting.google.com>, bbunny@myrealbox.com (Bunny) wrote: > Is there a good reason to do that? Why would anyone care? The Finder hides it anyway. Doug -- Doug Brown - La Grande, OR Idiot's Guide to Mac Cases - http://www.ircandy.com/maccases/ If you want to reply by email, remove "pleasenospam." and ".invalid" Bunny <bbunny@myrealbox.com> wrote: > Is there a good reason to do that? It's inherited from NeXT. It tells the Finder (and anyone else, fo...

OS X: App-specific documents in the Apps folder, or the Docs folder?
If an application (MS Word, let's say, or Photoshop) generates and edits *many* documents for many projects, it seems reasonable to put the app and its associated package components in the Apps folder, and put the various documents in some hierarchical, perhaps project-oriented substructure in the user's Docs folder. But what about apps that (at least for many users) generate just *one or two* documents (a database, for example) that are tied more to the individual app than to individual projects? -- for example: * Now UTDC and its address book and calendar files * Quicken...

Upgrading from 9.2 to OS X: Apple apps or 3rd party apps?
Finally getting around to upgrading from 9.2 to OS X (Panther) and from 500 MHz G3 to 1 GHz G4 iBook. Question is: Should I stick with familiar and well-liked 3rd party productivity apps (in OS X-upgraded versions) or move to Apple apps? I know I'll stick with iView Media Pro rather than iPhoto; and the rest of the iLife suite is not of interest. But should I stay with Eudora (in latest OS X version), or shift to Mail? Move to upgraded Now Contact (which I've always liked just fine), or shift to Address Book? Adobe Acrobat or Preview? PowerPoint or the new Apple presentation...

App like QuickKeys, only for graphics, not text (OS X)
In the olden days, OS-7 or OS-8, there was an application that could "recognize" part of an image, any sort of image. For example, if I had side-face views of twenty different people, it could recognize a particular shape of nose, and "stop" on that photo' as all the photo's flipped on the screen, one after the other. Actually, I could get that neat application to do anything that QuickKeys could do, once it recognized part of any graphic image. (pdf, Web page, anything) Do any old timers out there recall the name of that application? I am trying to run down ...

Reviewing Apps at the App Store
I do not own an iOS device, so I'm talking about the Mac App Store here. However iOS users may have similar experiences so read on. One week ago I downloaded the free miDVD app from the Mac App Store. It's a very, very bare-bones DVD creator, and I was pretty sure of its limitations from the get-go. After a couple of days I wrote a short lukewarm review of the app and posted it to the App Store. I compared it with similar free and payware products including iDVD, mentioning the fact the iLife '09 is still available at that "jungle-themed" online retailer...

Map Apps?
I've used my Nexus today rather heavily downloading different Map Apps and testing them out. What I've been searching for are Android Map programs which will allow you to lay out a map from point A to point B and then save it within the map program and be able to use it offline for directions via the GPS in the tablet. It was working with Google Maps, but has stopped working, plus it was hit or miss as to whether or not you could get it saved. I've downloaded MapQuest Maps and its much more user friendly to use their maps and also quicker, but I can't find out if th...

app-to-app message exchange
I'm probably not using the correct terms, so please excuse... I need to have a ruby app that loops and keeps a serial port open, essentially listening every second or so. then I need to send messages to that serial port app so that it can send outgoing messages, as in a queue fashion, from other ruby apps. Is there a gem that can handle cross ruby application message queues? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Karl Smith wrote: > I'm probably not using the correct terms, so please excuse... > > I need to have a ruby app that loops and keeps a serial port open, >...

Update app from within the app
I would like to offer the ability to update my app from a menu option (i.e. check for update). However I really have no idea how to implement it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? On 2/27/11 7:33 PM, Nickname unavailable wrote: > I would like to offer the ability to update my app from a menu option > (i.e. check for update). However I really have no idea how to > implement it. > > Can anyone point me in the right direction? There are several ways to do this, depending on how in-depth you want to go. The simplest part is to store a file on a server som...

How to launch an app from another app
Hello, I need do start an app from another. Now I use then execv system call: the secondary app starts, but the first exits! I need the first to go on running! How can I do? Is there another system call? Thank you! "patrick carosso" <carossopatrick@yahoo.it> writes: > Hello, > I need do start an app from another. > Now I use then execv system call: the secondary app starts, > but the first exits! I need the first to go on running! > How can I do? Is there another system call? > Thank you! Don't multipost. -- M�ns Rullg�rd mru@mru.ath.cx patrick caros...

Web resources about - Graphics Mapping App? - comp.os.os2.apps

Graphics Interchange Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Graphics Interchange Format ( GIF ; / ˈ dʒ ɪ f / or / ˈ ɡ ɪ f / ) is a bitmap image format that was introduced by CompuServe in 1987 and ...

Apple quietly launches Mac Pro (Late 2013) Repair Program for graphics card/video issues
... notes that Mac Pros manufactured between February 8, 2015 and April 11, 2015 are eligible for repairs due to issues with the machine’s graphics ...

NVIDIA’s Partners Roll-Out GeForce GT 710 to Fight Integrated Graphics
... years essentially destroyed the market of inexpensive discrete video cards . High-performance iGPUs can outperform low-end standalone graphics ...

Dealmaster: Get a Dell Latitude 15 3000 with Core i7 and Nvidia Graphics for $701
Greetings, Arsians! Thanks to our partners at TechBargains , we have a number of deals to share that will change how you work and play for the ...

Ryan Reynolds Releases Graphic Deadpool Infographic
Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds has released a “graphic infographic” showing the Venn diagram of [...]

AMD's new FirePro server GPUs can turn a basic PC into a graphics powerhouse
If you have an under-powered PC but need the horsepower to see high-definition video or edit intense graphics, AMD has your back. AMD's new ...

ISIS Touts Wheelchair-Bound Executioner In Latest Graphic Photos
ISIS Touts Wheelchair-Bound Executioner In Latest Graphic Photos

Fox Options Boom! Graphic Novel ‘The Empty Man’, Gets David Prior To Fill It
EXCLUSIVE: 20th Century Fox has optioned The Empty Man , the Boom! graphic novel written by Eisner Award-winner Cullen Bunn and illustrated by ...

Here's how The Division's beta's graphics stacked up on PC, PS4, and Xbox One
... how do the three versions across different platforms compare? Here's a video so that you can parse the evidence first-hand. IGN put this graphics ...