Linux+OS/2 integration options in eCS 2.0?

I'm planning to replace my existing OS/2 machine with something less
archaic, and I intend to install both eCS 2.0 and SuSE Linux on it. I
would like to have a display showing applications on both concurrently
and to use a single LAN adapter to provide Internet access for both
concurrently. Does anybody have experience running eCS under a VMM
manager like xen? Which packages include a virtual TCP/IP bridge? Is
it reasonable to use X for desktop integration? If not, are there
other options?

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.  Reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not
reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

0
spamtrap16 (3722)
3/8/2007 11:27:55 PM
comp.os.os2.ecomstation 1053 articles. 0 followers. eugenegorbunoff164 (233) is leader. Post Follow

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 18:27:55 -0500, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:

> I'm planning to replace my existing OS/2 machine with something less
> archaic, and I intend to install both eCS 2.0 and SuSE Linux on it. I
> would like to have a display showing applications on both concurrently
> and to use a single LAN adapter to provide Internet access for both
> concurrently. Does anybody have experience running eCS under a VMM
> manager like xen? Which packages include a virtual TCP/IP bridge? Is it
> reasonable to use X for desktop integration? If not, are there other
> options?

How about installing a real Linux OS, not one bought out by Moron$oft!

Wayne
--
Registered Linux user #375994
http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/
<spamtrap@library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote:

> I'm planning to replace my existing OS/2 machine with something less
> archaic, and I intend to install both eCS 2.0 and SuSE Linux on it. I
> would like to have a display showing applications on both concurrently
> and to use a single LAN adapter to provide Internet access for both
> concurrently. Does anybody have experience running eCS under a VMM
> manager like xen? Which packages include a virtual TCP/IP bridge? Is
> it reasonable to use X for desktop integration? If not, are there
> other options?

I have Parallels installed under Xandros.  The eCS 1.2 refresh installs
and runs well, but I cannot get the eCS 2.0 beta 4 to install.  The
Parallels networking interface seems to be quite nice and even lets me
set eCS to run with DHCP, and I don't have to do anything special except
install the Realtek 8029 PCI driver (Parallels does furnish one, but the
one in the eCS 1.2 refresh runs fine)..  My main reason for Parallels is
that they were involved in SVista and do list OS/2 and eCS as supported
guests.

--
Chuck McKinnis
mckinnis@sandia.net
   at 05:06 PM, "Chuck McKinnis" <mckinnis@sandia.net> said:

>I have Parallels installed under Xandros.  The eCS 1.2 refresh
>installs  and runs well, but I cannot get the eCS 2.0 beta 4 to
>install.

Ouch! Have you submitted a bug report?

Thanks.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT  <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.  Reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not
reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

0
spamtrap16 (3722)
3/12/2007 2:27:42 PM
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:27:42 UTC, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
<spamtrap@library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote:

> In <Hh88TnfhPDFx-pn2-PcWpqEULHCDe@chmhoc>, on 03/09/2007
>    at 05:06 PM, "Chuck McKinnis" <mckinnis@sandia.net> said:
>
> >I have Parallels installed under Xandros.  The eCS 1.2 refresh
> >installs  and runs well, but I cannot get the eCS 2.0 beta 4 to
> >install.
>
> Ouch! Have you submitted a bug report?
>
> Thanks.

I would probably have to assign it to myself.  They are aware of the
problem.  The installation CD will not boot,  so it appears to be
something very basic.

--
Chuck McKinnis
mckinnis@sandia.net

Migration of OS/2 1.30 to OS/2 2.0 or newer
Hi all, what is the chance to upgrade an OS/2 1.30-system with LAN manager (ethernet with plain NetBIOS), a C-written frontend and a Sybase-SQL-server 1.1 to a newer OS/2-version? The system is installed on a FAT-drive, print-jobs are created by the C-frontend for LaserJet-printers and send directly to the LPT-port or a shared LPT-port on a print-server and several OS/2 1.3-clients access the database also via the C-frontend. I would perfer using WarpServer 4 based on Warp 3, or even just Warp 3 Connect/Warp 4 (without LVM, JFS etc., so WSeB, ACP, MCP or eCS are not an option) the whole infrastructure may not be needed anymore because only one person still works with the system! What could be show-stoppers to care about? Thanks a lot for any answer! -- To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" ! Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen ! Chau y hasta luego, Thorolf Thorolf Godawa wrote: > Hi all, > > what is the chance to upgrade an OS/2 1.30-system with LAN manager > (ethernet with plain NetBIOS), a C-written frontend and a > Sybase-SQL-server 1.1 to a newer OS/2-version? > > The system is installed on a FAT-drive, print-jobs are created by the > C-frontend for LaserJet-printers and send directly to the LPT-port or a > shared LPT-port on a print-server and several OS/2 1.3-clients access > the database also via the C-frontend. > > I would perfer using WarpServer ...

OS/2 Lan Server V3.0 for sale with OS/2 2.1
http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296-2357-0?uid=4289490&site=0&ver=LCA080805&item=120067699646&lk=URL ...

SW: Correction: Samba for eCS-OS/2 Server 1.2 beta9 and Client 2.2.0 beta2
++ From the VOICE OS/2-eCS News Service http://www.os2voice.org ++ From: madodelDESPAM@DESPAMptdprolog.net Silvan Scherrer and Herwig Bauernfeind have updated Samba Server and Client for eComStation (OS/2) on Netlabs. http://svn.netlabs.org/samba "SAMBA is a SMB/CIFS protocols file and print sharing server/client set originally made for UNIX world to cooperate with corresponding Windows and OS/2 servers or clients. OS/2 has native implementation of SMB/CIFS server/client set - IBM LAN Manager and IBM Peer. These products haven't been updated for a long time and have some com...

SAMBA 2.2 vs 3.0 (was: samba considerations with OS/2 and eCS)
Hi, this is a followup to my own message. We have done some further testing with SAMBA and found that the problems only exists with SAMBA 3.0. As soon as we revert to SAMBA 2.2, all is well. Does anyone know what need to be done to make SAMBA 3 work properly with OS/2? kind regards, Jan Eri >We are replacing a Warp Server (wseb) fileserver with a Red Hat >Enterprise Linux using samba. This is in a small OS/2 lan with a few >OS/2 Warp 4 / eCS 1.1 clients. The clients already have netbios, netbios >over tcp/ip and tcp/ip installed. We are able to see the samba...

What to save from OS/2::Warp when crossgrading to OS/2::eCS?
To bring joy to a few hearts: I have ordered OS/2::eCS-1.1 from Mensys and expect it RSN. Meanwhile, I am trying to decide what bits of my Warp setup to carry across (if that is possible). My OS/2 setup uses the F: drive for core OS stuff. Most optional extras (eg FaxWorks, DeScribe, non-OS utilities) live in G:. The rest of my files are scattered through other drives. So I expect to wipe F: and install eCS in a simple procedure. (Unless... I bought the Warp-upgrade version. Does it need to be able to see the old Warp installation?) Is this broadly how to do the cross-grade...

using an iPod with Mac os 9.2.2 and iTunes 2.0.4 #2
Help! I have just purchased a (3rd gen) iPod as a gift for use with a G4. Unfortunately it turns out that the 'lucky' recipient is using OS 9.2.2 rather than OS X as I had assumed. I have read unsubstantiated reports that it is possible to get this working (despite Apple's recommendations that at least OS 10.1.5 is required) but I am unable to fathom it out (not a regular Mac user). Has anyone managed to get this combo working and if so can they give me any pointers? The iPod is recognised as a firewire HD device on the desktop but does not appear in or sync with iTunes. Please h...

Information passed from OS/2 Master Boot Record ( MBR ) to OS/2 Bootmanager ( BMGR ) to OS/2 Partition Boot Record ?
Hello, I am working on the problem to boot from USB Mass Storage Device. The results and open problems has been documented at Howto Boot OS/2 - eCs from USB Mass Storage Devices ( MSD ) - English Version - Wiki http://p2066.typo3server.info/wiki-usb-boot-en.html The following information is needed for the project: Information passed from OS/2 Master Boot Record ( MBR ) to OS/2 Bootmanager ( BMGR ) to OS/2 Partition Boot Record ? The OS/2 MBR tests for I13X support and pass this information via flag at memory segment 3000:0000 (0030:0000). That informa...

[Search] Lan Manager 2.2 (incl. OS/2 1.3) and Lan Server 2.0
Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance Regards reini1976 ...

audio with win-os/2 but not os/2???
anybody know why the audio with my ess card ain't working with os/2 but does with win-os/2? -- Thanks, That Guy ---- http://gandalf.home.digital.net/trollfaq.html <-- readit new folk who people noooobies ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/ <-- faq shmec-a-q get the origanal group faq here That Guy wrote: > anybody know why the audio with my ess card ain't working with os/2 > but does with win-os/2? > I know this will sound ridiculous...but the system volume is turned up to a level that will be audible, right?? On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 03:46:...

PS/2 and OS/2 #2
Hi ! This is, finally, *in topic* ;-) I've got too many "off topic" warnings ;-) I've got a working copy of OS/2 warp 4 (thank you, guys !). In the doc is said that minimum requirement is Pentium 100. I can put it in my 8595-ONG with TurboChip only :-( Do you have a table that summarizes PS/2 models, the OS/2 version that can be installed and sys requirements ? In other word, for example, which version can be installed on a Model 80-386 ? What is the minimum ram ? Do you ever tried OS/2 2.1 for windows ? I found a copy that was distributed with a PC magazine (CD + 2 boot floppies) On Aug 25, 7:00 am, supervinx <superv...@libero.it> wrote: > I've got a working copy of OS/2 warp 4 (thank you, guys !). > In the doc is said that minimum requirement is Pentium 100. > I can put it in my 8595-ONG with TurboChip only :-( You can run Warp 4 in "lesser" machines, I ran the original release of Warp 4 on a 9590-DLG (50MHz 80486 with 16MB of RAM) quite successfully for a long time. The Convenience Packs (re-releases with FixPaks integrated) may have increased the minimum system requirements. > Do you have a table that summarizes PS/2 models, the OS/2 version that > can be installed and sys requirements ? > In other word, for example, which version can be installed on a Model > 80-386 ? What is the minimum ram ? I wouldn't bother with anything less than OS/2 Warp Connect (which is Warp 3 plu...

OS/2 > DOS-OS/2 copy, paste with backslash not working #2
Original poster: thanks, everybody. Now answering three posters: Any help? -- At 2004-12-16 20:41:32 PST Steven Levine (steve53@earthlink.bogus.net) said: >Copy how? What version of OS/2? Are you running any sort of desktop >enhancer that might be doing this to you? Since I mention COPY and PASTE, the "Copy how?" will be: "using COPY & PASTE". If I was running anything stupid, I might know; if I did not know, I thank you for the prompter; I am not running anything stupid; Version of OS/2 is 3.0 WARP Fixpack 43 or something. 1994-thing. Lov...

Net: eComStation 2.2 Beta, the Legacy of OS/2 Lives On
++ From the VOICE OS/2-eCS News Service http://www.os2voice.org ++ From: madodelDESPAM@DESPAMptdprolog.net http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/03/01/0140227/ecomstation-22-beta-the-legacy-of-os2-lives-on "Yes, those OS/2 Warp bastards just don't want to quit. Today the eComStation 2.2 beta live CD was released for public download. There is also this positive review from TechRepublic, and OS/2 Zelots partying/ranting at their community sites." Also on OS/2 World: http://www.os2world.com/past-news/80-software/19516-ecomstation-2-2-beta-demo-cd-english Request eComStat...

[ANN] gettext-2.0.2, gettext_activerecord-2.0.2, gettext_rails-2.0.2
Hi, Ruby-GetText-Package-2.0.2 and the families (gettext-2.0.2, gettext_activerecord-2.0.2 and gettext_rails-2.0.2) are now available. Ruby-GetText-Package is the library/tools for message localization. * gettext - Message localization libraries and tools for all kind of apps/libs. * gettext_activerecord - ActiveRecord Localization * gettext_rails - Rails support with gettext. Changes ------- == gettext-2.0.2 * Support ruby-1.9.1 style format string such as %<foo>d. * Apply new Locale.set_app_language_tags and Locale.candidates. [Suggested by Vladimir Dobriakov] * Enhance...

PS/2 Model 57 and OS/2 2.0 install Problem
Hey all, I recently aquried an old PS/2 model 57 which has a 486SLC2 chip in it. I was trying to install OS/2 2.0 on it but kept getting a internal processing error at location 0f00:76a. Does anyone know of a patch to fix this? I suspect it's a quirk in the 486SLC2 but that's just a guess I never had that problem on my old 486-100. Any help would be appreciated. Crash On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:01:38 UTC, "Crash-N" <fgalphin@comcast.net> wrote: > Hey all, > I recently aquried an old PS/2 model 57 which has > a 486SLC2 chip in it. I was t...

Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"
When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people to take the leap. This package contained a video cartridge ("OS/2 2.0 - Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"), a Parker ballpoint pen, and a mousepad (the latter two items decorated with a tasteful multicolored OS/2 logo"). The pen and the mousepad are long gone, but I still have the video cartridge. I do not have a video tapedeck, and I never did: the tape has been played exactly once, when I let a friend view it (he later went with Windows anyay). I am offering this fine example of late 20th Century cinematic art FREE, GRATIS, for the cost of packing and shipping to your location. Although I have no way to verify its condition, I have no reason to think it is in anything its essentially virgin state. You would receive it, of course, as is. (Insert here the usual boilerplate disclaimers about such things as merchantability.) If you would like to be the owner of this relative antique, tell me so by sending me an email through the mailform on my website, which is at: <http://www.hashkedim.com/form.html>. -- Stan Goodman Qiryat Tiv'on Israel On Dec 2, 9:37 am, "Stan Goodman" <SPAM_FOI...@some.domain> wrote: > When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give > a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people t...

OpenOffice 2.0 for OS/2
Anyone know if there are any plans to create OpenOffice 2.0 for OS/2? Version 1.1.4 works ok, but in a mixed environment we will now get problems with documents saved in 2.0 format on Linux and Windows. I understand 1.1.5 reads (not write) 2.0 files, so that could act as an emergency solution. regards, Jan Hi Jan Jan Eri wrote: > Anyone know if there are any plans to create OpenOffice 2.0 for OS/2? > > Version 1.1.4 works ok, but in a mixed environment we will now get > problems with documents saved in 2.0 format on Linux and Windows. > > I underst...

using an iPod with Mac os 9.2.2 and iTunes 2.0.4
Help! I have just purchased a (3rd gen) iPod as a gift for use with a G4. Unfortunately it turns out that the 'lucky' recipient is using OS 9.2.2 rather than OS X as I had assumed. I have read unsubstantiated reports that it is possible to get this working (despite Apple's recommendations that at least OS 10.1.5 is required) but I am unable to fathom it out (not a regular Mac user). Has anyone managed to get this combo working and if so can they give me any pointers? The iPod is recognised as a firewire HD device on the desktop but does not appear in or sync with iTunes. Please h...

SW: Samba Client Plugin for eCS (OS/2) Version 2.1.2
++ From the VOICE OS/2-eCS News Service http://www.os2voice.org ++ From: madodelDESPAM@DESPAMptdprolog.net Samba Client Plugin for eCS (OS/2) Version 2.1.2, has been released on Netlabs FTP site for NetDrive as well as the EVFSGUI that comes with eComStation 2.0+. This release is based on Samba 3.3.16. "Samba is a free implementation of the CIFS/SMB protocol for Unix, which allows LAN-Server style file and printer sharing among machines running Windows, Mac OS X ,Unix or eComStation (OS/2). There is a netlabs http://www.netlabs.org/en/site/index.xml based effort to port the Sa...

OS/2 is dead...Long live OS/2!
Normally, I keep my rants to the editorial pages of the VOICE Newsletter, but I felt this was a more appropriate venue for this one: The plain and simple fact is that OS/2's obituary has already been written, the tombstone carved and the plot set. All that's left now is to lay the tired body into its final resting place. All possible treatments for its terminal illness have failed. In 2006, OS/2 will finally, and irrevocably be laid to rest. Doubtless many long time users will hold out till, and beyond, the bitter end...cursing IBM and Microsoft all the way. The rest will...

IBM OS/2 OS2 2.0 5.25" Disk Format Plus RARE STACKER! auction
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4619&item=7162276443< Ends Jun-15-05 19:18:53 PDT -- Reply to ohland@charter.net ...

Unix / Linux Program Port to OS/2 with GCC and LIBC: HowTo Support / Use of Unix Function "Symbolic Link" in OS/2 Environment
Unix / Linux Program Port to OS/2 with GCC and LIBC: HowTo Support / Use of Unix Function "Symbolic Link" in OS/2 Environment Introduction by Example of the MPLAYER port 2007-07-16 22.00 first draft 1. Introduction and Credits The discussion of the MPlayer port comes up with the above subject. Thanks to Dave Yeo for the hint to the subject and the porting of the GNU Core Utils ( http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/) OS/2 port on Hobbes: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=coreutils_5.93 2.1 The Linux symbolic link function ( extract ) is introduced by the example of the MPlayer OS/2 port installation 2.2 Here are two of the directories / files used by MPlayer ~/.mplayer --> %MPLAYER_HOME% ~/.mplayer/font/ --> %MPLAYER_HOME%\font 2.3 Symbolic Link to a file, a directory In the Linux implementation "Symbolic Link" can be used to define/reference the location / the font to be used for OSD Here is a description of the function symbolic link in Linux (part of it - excerpt ) http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_ln.htm ln [OPTION]... TARGET [LINK_NAME] Here with mplayer it is used ln -s TARGET LINK_NAME LINK_NAME used here with the example: for a file "subfont" located at ~/.mplayer/subfont.fft ...

Re: "[eCS] Reacting to IBM withdrawl of OS/2" to Gregory L. Marx on eComStation@yahoogroups.com #2
Gregory L. Marx wrote: > FYI: > << BIG SNIP >> > > Good luck and take care everybody! > > Signing off ... > Gregory L. Marx > gregory.marx@xxxxxxx.xxx > Gregory; If you need to "move on", I understand.. But just because IBM will not sell OS/2, after 23-DEC-2005, or provide "Standard Support" for it on the Web Site after 31-DEC-2006, DOES NOT MEAN that OS/2 will "fail to operate" on you system on 01-JAN-2007!!! <http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/warp/> ================================...

Poor HTTP upload in rexx CGI script (Apache 2.*
There is no problem with HTTP Upload in Rexx CGI script in Apache version 1.3. But in Apache version 2. there is very slow reading from Apache STDIN by rexx function charin(). I tried many variants with no success. ...

Help Required to port MPEG Decoder,TCP/IP Stack, with UC/OS II Linux 2.0.38 onto an ARM Board #2
Hi All, I have a project Deadline to Meet: I have to port a TCP/IP Stack,an MPEG decoder onto an ARM Board with UC/OSII as the OS.Pls let me know the following Things: 1)WHat is porting and How do i go abt it. 2)What are the books and docs I shud refer for this 3)How mucb Time do u think it will take Pls help me. Thanks, George ...

Web resources about - Linux+OS/2 integration options in eCS 2.0? - comp.os.os2.ecomstation

Functional integration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Functional integration is a collection of results in mathematics and physics where the domain of an integral is no longer a region of space , ...

Real Racing 3 updated with Daytona Experience and Apple TV integration
... received a new update, and this one is huge. For one thing, the update brings the so-called Daytona Experience. For another, it adds full integration ...

Cyanogen launches the “Mod” platform, with lots of Microsoft integration
Cyanogen Inc. has announced a new feature for the upcoming Marshmallow version of its commercial Android skin, Cyanogen OS. The company is launching ...

Q&A: NetApp CEO Kurian Talks About SolidFire Integration, Upcoming Layoffs, And A Disappointing Q3 *
NetApp just closed its acquisition of all-flash storage array upstart SolidFire, but is moving fast to integrate the company into its portfolio ...

Apple TV universal search gains Disney, ABC integration, and more
It just got a little easier to search for Disney content on the Apple TV, now that Disney properties such as the Disney Channel, Disney Jr., ...

Twitter Partners With Giphy And Riffsy To Deliver GIF Library Integration
Twitter is looking to attract more users by making it easier and faster to tweet GIFs.

Killing Floor 2 now has full Steam Workshop integration
... roots. Today, Tripwire announced that people who like to murder on the ground (eh? eh?) will be able to utilize full Steam Workshop integration ...

Aruba Shows Off HPE Integration With New Networking Offerings
At Aruba's user conference, officials unveil a range of integrated wired and wireless that take advantage of the best of both companies.

Why Does True Integration Continue To Elude CMOs?
... if I may. Way back in 2011 when Donald Trump was only a billionaire reality TV star, I wrote a post entitledWhat Schoolhouse Rock And Integration ...

Oculus adds social features and Facebook integration to Samsung Gear VR experience
... rolled out 360-degree video playback in September , as part of a broader plan to introduce its users to VR. Now Facebook is deepening its integration ...