Newer IBM MOUSE.SYS has problems with serial mice

While installing eCS 1.2 just yesterday (21 Feb), I found an odd
problem with my serial mouse.  Basically, everything worked fine
except the buttons.  These were ignored when using the Desktop or
a subsidiary window.  Opening a full screen VDOS, Win-3.1 or OS/2
window cured the bug.

Mensys in *.nl agreed this was weird but said they'd heard of it
before: IBM made a cods-up of the newer MOUSE.SYS and broke the
support for serial mice; it seems too many people have gone over
to PS/2 mice and their testing has gone lame.  (IBM keep control
of the source code, one learns, so only an idiot could blame this
on the eCS folks.)  The best fix Mensys can offer, lacking a rush
of code-fixing keenness by IBM, is to see something gets done for
the next installer refresh, to install the appropriate version of
MOUSE.SYS.

The fix in my case was to copy the MOUSE.SYS from
     CD:\ECS\BOOT
     OS:\OS2\BOOT
then reboot.  All is happy now.

I must say eCS, at version 1.2, is starting to leave Warp 4.52 in
the dust with its general improvements.  (Many are non-obvious.)
And the new installer continues to be a great help.
--
Andrew Stephenson

0
ames (140)
2/22/2005 6:28:57 PM
comp.os.os2.ecomstation 1053 articles. 0 followers. eugenegorbunoff164 (233) is leader. Post Follow

Andrew Stephenson schrieb:

> While installing eCS 1.2 just yesterday (21 Feb), I found an odd
> problem with my serial mouse.  Basically, everything worked fine
> except the buttons.  These were ignored when using the Desktop or
> a subsidiary window.  Opening a full screen VDOS, Win-3.1 or OS/2
> window cured the bug.

Serial mice support is broken in mouse.sys with
10.117 < bldlevel mouse.sys < 10.152.

You should try the latest smouse driver (buildlevel 10.152) which is
just a few months old.

  Hendrik
0
unused (30)
3/5/2005 8:35:18 PM
In article <422A1806.5E161277@t-online.de>
	   unused@t-online.de "Hendrik Schmieder" writes:

> Andrew Stephenson schrieb:
> >
> > While installing eCS 1.2 just yesterday (21 Feb), I found an
> > odd problem with my serial mouse.  [...]
>
> Serial mice support is broken in mouse.sys with
> 10.117 < bldlevel mouse.sys < 10.152.
>
> You should try the latest smouse driver (buildlevel 10.152)
> which is just a few months old.

Thanks; but you will see from my original post that I found a fix
with the other MOUSE.SYS supplied on the CD.  I do not know where
I'd find 10.152 without digging around the Net.  As it is now, it
does the business with the older version. :-)  Maybe that will be
addressed in some fixpack (or equivalent).
--
Andrew Stephenson

0
ames (140)
3/6/2005 1:35:10 AM
Andrew Stephenson schrieb:

> In article <422A1806.5E161277@t-online.de>
>            unused@t-online.de "Hendrik Schmieder" writes:
>
> > Andrew Stephenson schrieb:
> > >
> > > While installing eCS 1.2 just yesterday (21 Feb), I found an
> > > odd problem with my serial mouse.  [...]
> >
> > Serial mice support is broken in mouse.sys with
> > 10.117 < bldlevel mouse.sys < 10.152.
> >
> > You should try the latest smouse driver (buildlevel 10.152)
> > which is just a few months old.
>
> Thanks; but you will see from my original post that I found a fix
> with the other MOUSE.SYS supplied on the CD.  I do not know where
> I'd find 10.152 without digging around the Net.  As it is now, it
> does the business with the older version. :-)  Maybe that will be
> addressed in some fixpack (or equivalent).

You should find it on www.ecomstation.com

  Hendrik
0
unused (30)
3/6/2005 10:19:41 AM
In article <422AD93D.23985DE2@t-online.de>
	   unused@t-online.de "Hendrik Schmieder" writes:

> Andrew Stephenson schrieb:
> >
> > Thanks; but you will see from my original post that I found a fix
> > with the other MOUSE.SYS supplied on the CD.  I do not know where
> > I'd find 10.152 without digging around the Net.  [...]
>
> You should find it on www.ecomstation.com

Thanks.  As I have just intsalled eCS-1.2, I am still finding out
what is "normal", whilst doing productive work.

I suspect the MOUSE.SYS in use now won't need to be upgraded for
as long as I stay with this serial mouse but it's good to know a
fixed version is Out There.
--
Andrew Stephenson

0
ames (140)

More Problems with Serial Port on Mac OS X Intel and USB Serial port Keyspan
I just received a keyspan USB serial convertor and I can now communicate with numerous devices use the terminal. However the TCL/TK applications still can not communicate with the devices. Is there some special command for communicating with a serial device properly or is just broke in TCL/TK Aqua on the mac? I used the test script from the tcl.tk web site with these results: Error in startup script: bad option "-mode": should be one of -blocking, -buffering, -buffersize, -encoding, -eofchar, or -translation while executing "fconfigure $serial -mode "57600,n,8...

Serial mouse problem after upgrade.
I own a SA RiscPC, recently upgraded to RISC OS 4.39 (Adjust) thanks to RO Ltd. recent offer. Problem is, I was using a serial mouse as the old Acorn one was showing an 'erratic' behaviour, not correctable (interior axis become ovalised). With RO 3.7 the mouse was fine. Now, every time I boot the RPC, even if the mouse is correctly configured (mousetype 2) it's dead. I plugged the old one and, to make things work, I must: -boot with both mice connected -*configure mousetype 0 and enable the old one - go to !boot, and configure the mouse as serial now the serial one works! But, on ...

Notebook vs. Serial mouse problem
Hello I have old 200 MHz Notebook with 1 PS/2 port which I am using for keyboard. There is no other PS/2 port, so I was trying to connect serial mouse to one of serial ports. After connecting serial Logitech mouse coumputer is very slow and when I move mouse on touchpad it moves a little and returns to right upper corner of the screen. After disconnecting serial mouse everything works fine. My OS is Win98. What is the problem ? Is there a conflict of devices, or settings of serial port are wrong ? Please help me so I could work normally. Regards Dominik It appears that Dominik <no.spam@w.pl> shook an Etch A Sketch before scribbling: > Hello > > I have old 200 MHz Notebook with 1 PS/2 port which I am using for > keyboard. There is no other PS/2 port, so I was trying to connect > serial mouse to one of serial ports. After connecting serial Logitech > mouse coumputer is very slow and when I move mouse on touchpad it > moves a little and returns to right upper corner of the screen. After > disconnecting serial mouse everything works fine. My OS is Win98. > What is the problem ? Is there a conflict of devices, or settings of > serial port are wrong ? > Please help me so I could work normally. > Three possibilities: 1) install the correct driver for the serial mouse 2) uninstall any other driver that was in use prior 3) if there is a built-in pointing device such as a touchpad or stick, disable it in BIOS > Three possibiliti...

Serialization Problems and books on serialization?
I was trying to do serialization but have problems writing object with ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(). The problem is that ObjectOutputStream.writeObject() sometimes fails the serialize object mysteriously. It serialize objectA by itself OK, but when you use objectA as data member of objectB and serialize objectB, it fails. My latest problem is about serializing a java.util.List of String. When the said list is a data member in objectA, serialization OK. However, when I put objectA inside objectB and serialize objectB, serialization failed unless I remove the List of String in objectA. Th...

IBM OS/2/eComStation as a client station
http://www.blue-point.cz/en/os2.php "Apart from server solutions from IBM, there are other new solutions from the Serenity Systems company based on the IBM OS/2 Warp Server for e-business. The new eComStation operating system represents a revolution for large computer networks. Thanks to the Wise Machine integrated application, it is possible to operate thousands of client stations from just one computer and to install office packages to all computers is a question of just a few minutes. Apart from the complete remote administration of systems, in eComStation you will find an espe...

OpenOffice.org for eComStation and IBM OS/2
http://www.ecomstation.com/openoffice.phtml Plans for native OS/2 application (Version 2.0) Regards, Bob St.John Serenity Systems International Bob St.John wrote: > Plans for native OS/2 application (Version 2.0) [were announced today] Thanks Dr. Martin for putting Serenity behind the 8-ball and for your financial support in making sure the OS/2 community gets a native OS/2 version of OpenOffice v2.0. From what I gather it will be released during the 1st quarter of '06 and the OS/2 WPS will be [eventually] integrated. Everyone thanks you for your continued devotion to OS/2. The eCS Guy Subject says it all. Regards, Bob St.John Serenity Systems International Bob St.John wrote: > Subject says it all. Yes, the subject does say it all. It if hadn't been for Dr. Martin there wouldn't be an upcoming native version of OO v2.0. We all owe him a great debt of gratitude. The eCS Guy The eCS Guy wrote: > Jeroen Bessee, fake eCS Guy, wrote: > >> Bob St.John wrote: >> >>> Plans for native OS/2 application (Version 2.0) [were announced today] >> >> Thanks Dr. Martin for putting Serenity behind the 8-ball >> and for your financial support in making sure the OS/2 >> community gets a native OS/2 version of OpenOffice v2.0. >> >> From what I gather it will be released during the 1st quarter of '06 >> and the OS/2 WPS will be [eventually] integrated. >> >> Everyone thanks you...

PROBLEM: FROZEN MOUSE POINTER (USING OS 9)
Lately my mouse pointer has been freezing on the screen or has uncontrolably been dropping slowly down to the screen buttom. This can happen very very often. Sometimes once every five minutes. Pretty annoying don't you think? In most cases I can fix this and regain control over that pesky mouse pointer by unplugging the mouse from the keyboard and plug again. Sometimes that doesn't work and I'm sadly forced to shut down and restart my beauty again. Why is this happening? What can I do to avoid this problem completely. I've had this computer since it first came on the mar...

ATM machines based on IBM OS/2 Warp / eComStation
We translated the article Analysis of OS/2-based ATM situation http://ecomstation.ru/showarticle.php?id=205 to russian language Here is the site oriented on the engineers maintaining ATMs based on OS/2 / eComStation: http://ecomstation.ru/atm You can use this site to share drivers, control programs and interesting articles with other developers of ATM solutions. ...

Attn.Alexander Shumilov [Was OS/2: W420041111 kernel and config.sys problem]
Hi Alexander I recently received this email:- Hi! I'm working on the patch for os2ldr that caused the problem ( http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=ru&lr=&threadm=b1alBlW2vn3Q092yn%40daina.bga.com&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Dru%26lr%3D%26group%3Dcomp.os.os2.bugs ) Can you help me with some information? Send me, please, hardware configuration of your computer (especially BIOS manufacter and version). Also, I'm sending you floppy image. Will be nice if you make bootable floppy, boot from it on the computer that caused the problem and send me information you'll se...

serial-to-serial connection for OS install
n00b question: I have 2 AIX servers sitting in a remote datacenter with a cable connecting the serial ports. I have an OS CD sitting in the CD drive of server #2 and I would like to use server #1 as a console to connect to server #2 and install the new OS. How do I set this up? Thanks! <ptakers@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1102364565.987114.183860@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > n00b question: I have 2 AIX servers sitting in a remote datacenter > with a cable connecting the serial ports. I have an OS CD sitting in > the CD drive of server #2 and I would like to us...

os.rename() problems on OS X
hello, i recently had the job of having to rename about 200 files. The source for the renaming was a bunch of names in a file. I know next to nothing when it comes to bash scripting (which would have seemed the obvious choice) so i used python. The files i was renaming were canon raw files (.CR2). my problem is that after i rename the files, OS X will no longer render the thumbnails for the files, and preview is no longer the default app for viewing them. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is? Thanks for the help :) -Lukas On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:29:24 -0800, lukas wrote: > hello, &...

Problem With USB > Serial Converter Mac OS X 10.4 Intel
What do I have to do to get a USB > Serial converter to work under OS X? I can plug it in and if I use the device as a modem under network the activity lights work on the device, however when I attempt to connect to the device using /dev/tty.devicename or /dev/cu.devicename using a program it always fails. This is not for a telephone modem, but it is for connection to radio equipment. I have attempted to active and dec active the device in Network configuration with the same results. The permissions for the devices are crw-rw-rw- . Thanks for any help. Keith <kewradio@newsgu...

Re: "[eCS] Reacting to IBM withdrawl of OS/2" to Gregory L. Marx on eComStation@yahoogroups.com
Gregory L. Marx wrote: > FYI: > << BIG SNIP >> > > Good luck and take care everybody! > > Signing off ... > Gregory L. Marx > gregory.marx@verizon.net > Gregory; If you need to "move on", I understand.. But just because IBM will not sell OS/2, after 23-DEC-2005, or provide "Standard Support" for it on the Web Site after 31-DEC-2006, DOES NOT MEAN that OS/2 will "fail to operate" on you system on 01-JAN-2007!!! <http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/warp/> =======================...

IBM OS/2 OS2 2.0 5.25" Disk Format Plus RARE STACKER! auction
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4619&item=7162276443< Ends Jun-15-05 19:18:53 PDT -- Reply to ohland@charter.net ...

Re: "[eCS] Reacting to IBM withdrawl of OS/2" to Gregory L. Marx on eComStation@yahoogroups.com #2
Gregory L. Marx wrote: > FYI: > << BIG SNIP >> > > Good luck and take care everybody! > > Signing off ... > Gregory L. Marx > gregory.marx@xxxxxxx.xxx > Gregory; If you need to "move on", I understand.. But just because IBM will not sell OS/2, after 23-DEC-2005, or provide "Standard Support" for it on the Web Site after 31-DEC-2006, DOES NOT MEAN that OS/2 will "fail to operate" on you system on 01-JAN-2007!!! <http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/warp/> ================================...

D865PERL mouse problem? PS2 port problem?
My next door neighbor built a system with this motherboard and now after a few months of use, the computer all of a sudden will not post. After some troubleshooting, we discoved that the PS2 port was causing the computer to hang. Afet he took the little usb-ps2 adapter off of his mouse and just plugged the mouse into a usb port, the computer would boot fine. We discovered the problem because by disconnecting the ps2 mouse, once the computer had booted into win XP, if you plugged the mouse in the computer would immediately shut down. He is using a crappy case, some of the cards don;t seem to fit real well - I am wondering if something on the case shorted out something on the port causing the PS2 port to fail. ...

problem with reload(sys) (doing reload on the sys module)
Python 2.4.2 (#67, Sep 28 2005, 12:41:11) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32 Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information. **************************************************************** Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback interface. This connection is not visible on any external interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet. **************************************************************** IDLE 1.1.2 >&g...

Serial port problems
I'm trying to get an application talking to the COM2 port on OSR5 but I'm running into some problems. mkdev serial crashes whenever I select COM2 from the list of COM ports. The application is communicating using a null modem cable. I'm able to log in via a terminal however which suggests that the port is working. The application that I'm trying to use does not need to enabled logins. I would like to set baud rate of the port but since I cannot use mkdev serial then I cannot do that. Is there a way to set the baud rate, parity and so on without using the serial manager? I...

serial-to-serial connection for OS install #2
n00b question: I have 2 AIX servers sitting in a remote datacenter with a cable connecting the serial ports. I have an OS CD sitting in the CD drive of server #2 and I would like to use server #1 as a console to connect to server #2 and install the new OS. How do I set this up? Thanks! ...

serial-to-serial connection for OS install #3
n00b question: I have 2 AIX servers sitting in a remote datacenter with a cable connecting the serial ports. I have an OS CD sitting in the CD drive of server #2 and I would like to use server #1 as a console to connect to server #2 and install the new OS. How do I set this up? Thanks! ...

Mouse problems with KVM switch and logitech mouse.
Hi all, It's been a while since I've checked out this news group but I have a small problem. I'm running my own custom 2.6.9 kernel, but this problem exists also with the debian 2.6.9-1-k7-smp. My system is a SMP Tyan Athlon MP that I put together. I have a wireless Logitech USB (with ps2 converter) attached to a 4 port miniview KVM switch (ps2) which is attached to my computer. The problem I'm having is that when I use the wheel mouse, the button 2 and 3 constantly are detected as well. Now I've done some trouble shooting here to find where the problem...

Problems booting OS X after booting in OS 9
BW G3, 300 MHz, 256Mb RAM, OS 10.3.3 and OS 9.2.2, Sony Trinitron Multiscan E210 monitor I have a UMAX scanner for which there are no OSX drivers. This means that I have to boot in OS 9 whenever I need to scan something (which is daily, at least). The computer boots fine in OS9 and everything runs great, until I reboot in OSX. Immediately after the chime, the monitor goes into a power-saving mode (I have system prefs set NOT to put the monitor to sleep) and I'm not sure what else is going on because the monitor is black, and all HD sounds cease. If I zap the PRAM, ev...

Problems booting in OS X after booting in OS 9
BW G3, 300 MHz, 256Mb RAM, OS 10.3.3 and OS 9.2.2, Sony Trinitron Multiscan E210 monitor I have a UMAX scanner for which there are no OSX drivers. This means that I have to boot in OS 9 whenever I need to scan something (which is daily, at least). The computer boots fine in OS9 and everything runs great, until I reboot in OSX. Immediately after the chime, the monitor goes into a power-saving mode (I have system prefs set NOT to put the monitor to sleep) and I'm not sure what else is going on because the monitor is black, and all HD sounds cease. If I zap the PRAM, everything s...

Sunfire V210 : problems : OS would not start (ALOM problem)
I am have SUnfire V210 I am unable to go past ALOM I tried poweroff, but it would not work. I also tried reser from sc> prompt but it would not take me anywhere. Showplatform says, the system is in stopped state. Need help, do I have a reinstall the OS. If so how do I do that. truejack@indiainfo.com (True Jack) wrote in message news:<7e3a95e5.0405290525.211f158@posting.google.com>... > I am have SUnfire V210 > I am unable to go past ALOM > I tried poweroff, but it would not work. > I also tried reser from sc> prompt but it would not take me anywhere. > Showpla...

Web resources about - Newer IBM MOUSE.SYS has problems with serial mice - comp.os.os2.ecomstation

Maria Sharapova's meldonium problem: it's about the brains, not the looks
What Maria Sharapova seems most guilty of is breathtaking stupidity.

Maria Sharapova's meldonium problem: it's about the brains, not the looks
What Maria Sharapova seems most guilty of is breathtaking stupidity.

Obama Wants SXSW to Help Solve America's Problems, Including Apple Standoff
President Obama asked a tech-savvy audience attending the first day of the South by Southwest Interactive Festival in Austin to help tackle the ...

Florida’s problem with sea level rise catches up with Rubio at debate
... debate near Miami, Florida. (credit: Joe Raedle / Getty Images) Earlier this year, a group of Florida mayors that are dealing with problems ...

How to fix Microsoft Edge's worst problems
... soon (and to the rest of us when the Redstone update for Windows 10 rolls out in June/July). If you’re using the new browser and having problems, ...

NASTY: Bill Clinton's Disgusting Flatulence Problems Date Back to White House Years
It's not just Granny Catlady who stinks. It's also her husband : Clinton became so flatulent at one point during his presidency that his close ...

Weekend Reading: Andrew Gelman: The problems with p-values are not just with p-values
**Andrew Gelman**: [The problems with p-values are not just with p-values](http://andrewgelman.com/2016/03/07/29212/): >The American Statistical ...

Apple's iPhone problem in one chart: Apple usually does worse than the market as a whole
... net adds of new phones are in decline , and the major portion of "growth" to be had is in replacing existing units. That's a particular problem ...