Serenity Systems International, Managed Systems International, Inc.

Seems to be a lot of discussion about "status" ... and most of it coming
from the FUD4, which means most of it is wrong. It is a time of year
which calls for a look back and a look ahead. So, in Janus fashion,
let's do some of that.

To clear some muddy waters, the company is incorporated as Managed
Systems International; filed on January 14, 1998, election effective on
January 28, 1998. The "Serenity Systems International" name was
registered for Managed Systems International, Inc. on January 30, 1998
in Denton County, which is the appropriate jurisdiction for businesses
in Lewisville, TX.

Legal documents from the state and federal government are addressed as:

Managed Systems International, Inc.
Serenity Systems International
765 Juniper Lane
Lewisville, TX

and have been received, addressed this way, since January 1998.  Which
means, btw, that the seventh anniversary of SSI is coming up next month.
I can only hope that 2005 is as good to us as 2004 has been because 2004
was the best year, yet.  No surprise, some very good things happened.

First, Serenity Virtual Station was announced. This could be a topic of
its own, but short story, SSI was part of the OEM agreement with
Connectix and InnoTek. That direction shifted away from OS/2. SSI began
a path at Warpstock Austin in 2002 which culminated in the delivery of a
VM application supporting OS/2 as both a host and a guest. The only one
in the industry. A product which will become much stronger in 2005.

Second, SSI provided Open Office support for OS/2 users in an agreement
with InnoTek. Terms of the agreement will not be disclosed, but SSI
provided funding, not other resources, as has been suggested.

These two products, in addition to the release of eComStation 1.2 and
other related eComStation products, combined to drive the highest annual
revenue in SSI's history.

To put some meaning on that, consider that SSI continues to maintain an
IBM OEM agreement. Such agreements *require* that specific revenue
objectives be met. I will not disclose the terms of our agreement with
IBM, but folks can contact IBM and inquire for themselves what IBM would
expect of a software OEM from a volume standpoint.

Consider that SSI has been an IBM software OEM since 1998. In our
current agreement, we are on schedule to exceed that revenue objective.
As significant as that amount is, it is a payment to one vendor,
supplier. Which means SSI has to post significant gross revenues beyond
that amount, and that is exactly what we are doing.

Another point to consider regarding the life of eComStation.  OEMs can
continue to license and use products and technologies from IBM long
after IBM ceases to sell and support those products. As relates to
eComStation, we recently negotiated the rights to IBM Host Attach
feature for OS/2, PCOM.

Folks can go to IBM's http://www-306.ibm.com/software/network/pcomm/
for info about the product, including the products supported. But you
won't see OS/2 on that page as a supported platform.  However, the
eComStation Host Attach Feature includes the IBM PCOM product which
supports OS/2.  We added this product to our contract at the specific
request of one of our enterprise customers (it is pretty much an
enteprise product), a muncipal mass transit organization.

As long as OS/2 is good business, eComStation will thrive. And since
2004 was the best year, yet ... no change is anticipated. Well, of
course, there is a plan to change things for the better ... again.  In
line with this, remember that both releases of eComStation have won OS/2
World's vote of OS/2 users as the Best Commercial Product of the Year.

Looks like the voting for 2004 has not gotten off the ground, but SSI
might have been competing for three slots with eComStation 1.2, SVISTA,
and OO.org/2. A great performance by an OS/2 vendor - publisher to
deliver major new applications, filling crucial needs for OS/2 users.

And I have already taken some of that revenues and begun funding
enhancements to our products for our OS/2 users, to make 2005 another
great year.

One comment on SSI and "the franchise tax".  Fact is, SSI (I) was late
in filing a report to the Comptroller of the state. My fault, but the
accountant and I have submitted the reports and wait for the
Comptroller's office to get back to us. Again, this is not a payment
issue ... this is a reporting issue. And it will be resolved.

So, thank you for your continued support in 2004. I'm grateful. I'm also
proud of what we have been able to deliver; updates to eComStation, Open
Office, while continuing to provide Smart Suite, and a virtual machine
application. In 2005 we will build on all of these with an objective of
continuing to add value and contribute to the useability of OS/2.

I'm very grateful to our users, partners, and contributors.

Regards,
Bob St.John
Serenity Systems International
0
Serenity (611)
12/31/2004 9:28:20 AM
comp.os.os2.ecomstation 1053 articles. 0 followers. eugenegorbunoff164 (233) is leader. Post Follow

Bob StJohn wrote:
> Another point to consider regarding the life of eComStation.  OEMs can
> continue to license and use products and technologies from IBM long
> after IBM ceases to sell and support those products. As relates to
> eComStation, we recently negotiated the rights to IBM Host Attach
> feature for OS/2, PCOM.
>
> Folks can go to IBM's http://www-306.ibm.com/software/network/pcomm/
> for info about the product, including the products supported. But you
> won't see OS/2 on that page as a supported platform.  However, the
> eComStation Host Attach Feature includes the IBM PCOM product which
> supports OS/2.  We added this product to our contract at the specific
> request of one of our enterprise customers (it is pretty much an
> enteprise product), a muncipal mass transit organization.

Would you be able to do the same with DB2?

> Regards,
> Bob St.John
> Serenity Systems International
0
tester914 (156)
12/31/2004 10:01:15 AM
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:28:20 -0600, Bob StJohn wrote:

Hi Bob,

>And I have already taken some of that revenues and begun funding
>enhancements to our products for our OS/2 users, to make 2005 another
>great year.

[...]

>So, thank you for your continued support in 2004. I'm grateful. I'm also
>proud of what we have been able to deliver; updates to eComStation, Open
>Office, while continuing to provide Smart Suite, and a virtual machine
>application. In 2005 we will build on all of these with an objective of
>continuing to add value and contribute to the useability of OS/2.

Thanks a lot for the work too, I'm looking forward to another great year for
OS/2, eCS and netlabs.org :) We all did a lot the past year!

But I really hope that this stupidity with bashing/flaming in the OS/2
newsgroups finaly stops in 2005, I think those people should once think about
all the damage they do to OS/2 with the stupid flaming of eCS and SSI.

I offer every single one of the flamers a spare time job at netlabs.org, if
they would just invest half of the time into something *productive* it would
help OS/2 a lot.

Anyway, happy new year everyone!

cu

Adrian

--
Adrian Gschwend
netlabs.org

ktk@netlabs.org
-------
The OS/2 OpenSource Project:
http://www.netlabs.org

0
ktk (37)
12/31/2004 2:38:36 PM
jp wrote:
> Bob StJohn wrote:
>
>> Another point to consider regarding the life of eComStation.  OEMs can
>> continue to license and use products and technologies from IBM long
>> after IBM ceases to sell and support those products. As relates to
>> eComStation, we recently negotiated the rights to IBM Host Attach
>> feature for OS/2, PCOM.
>>
>> Folks can go to IBM's http://www-306.ibm.com/software/network/pcomm/
>> for info about the product, including the products supported. But you
>> won't see OS/2 on that page as a supported platform.  However, the
>> eComStation Host Attach Feature includes the IBM PCOM product which
>> supports OS/2.  We added this product to our contract at the specific
>> request of one of our enterprise customers (it is pretty much an
>> enteprise product), a muncipal mass transit organization.
>

> Would you be able to do the same with DB2?

Yes.  We used to carry DB2 on the agreement but there was so little
demand for it, we dropped it. Has that changed?

Which products would be required .. single user? Work Group? more than
that?  DB2 was priced with more than one component.

Regards,
Bob St.John
Serenity Systems International
0
Serenity (611)
12/31/2004 3:17:43 PM
Adrian Gschwend wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:28:20 -0600, Bob StJohn wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>

>>And I have already taken some of that revenues and begun funding
>>enhancements to our products for our OS/2 users, to make 2005 another
>>great year.
>

> [...]
>

>>So, thank you for your continued support in 2004. I'm grateful. I'm also
>>proud of what we have been able to deliver; updates to eComStation, Open
>>Office, while continuing to provide Smart Suite, and a virtual machine
>>application. In 2005 we will build on all of these with an objective of
>>continuing to add value and contribute to the useability of OS/2.
>

> Thanks a lot for the work too, I'm looking forward to another great year for
> OS/2, eCS and netlabs.org :) We all did a lot the past year!

Thanks. I've received similar messages in email, on Yahoo, etc.

> But I really hope that this stupidity with bashing/flaming in the OS/2
> newsgroups finaly stops in 2005, I think those people should once think about
> all the damage they do to OS/2 with the stupid flaming of eCS and SSI.

I don't know that they do much damage, though I'm sure it doesn't help.
I expect the flaming to continue from the same sources. It's not an
issue for me.

> I offer every single one of the flamers a spare time job at netlabs.org, if
> they would just invest half of the time into something *productive* it would
> help OS/2 a lot.

NetLabs has made some wonderful contributions.  Will be interesting to
see if you get any reaction. Clearly some folks have the time. Whether
they have skills, inclination, or other resources .. I guess we'll find out.

> Anyway, happy new year everyone!

Same to you, Adrian .. and thanks for all your contributions over the years.

Regards,
Bob St.John
Serenity Systems International
0
Serenity (611)
12/31/2004 4:05:35 PM
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:28:20 UTC Bob StJohn <Serenity@Augustmail.com>
wrote:

> One comment on SSI and "the franchise tax".  Fact is, SSI (I) was late
> in filing a report to the Comptroller of the state. My fault, but the
> accountant and I have submitted the reports and wait for the
> Comptroller's office to get back to us. Again, this is not a payment
> issue ... this is a reporting issue. And it will be resolved.

Now how could someone overlook such an important form <g>.  Before I
sold my Texas company, I think we missed at least 2 reports every year
and Texas kept sending us all sorts of forms to followup on.  Kept the
bean counters busy and out of our hair.

> So, thank you for your continued support in 2004. I'm grateful. I'm also
> proud of what we have been able to deliver; updates to eComStation, Open
> Office, while continuing to provide Smart Suite, and a virtual machine
> application. In 2005 we will build on all of these with an objective of
> continuing to add value and contribute to the useability of OS/2.

Looks like this will be the year all my Partner and Passport Advantage
stuff runs out so I'll finally get around to actually buying eCS.  It
won't make your year, but I'm sure glad you're around.  You have more
than fullfilled any "added value" requirements for OS/2.  Thanks, and
may this be a banner year for you.

--
Will Honea
0
   at 03:28 AM, Bob StJohn <Serenity@Augustmail.com> said:

>These two products, in addition to the release of eComStation 1.2 and
>other related eComStation products, combined to drive the highest annual
>revenue in SSI's history.

Keep up the good work, please.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

nobody4897 (119)
12/31/2004 11:16:38 PM
Bob StJohn wrote:
> Seems to be a lot of discussion about "status" ... and most of it coming
> from the FUD4, which means most of it is wrong. It is a time of year
> which calls for a look back and a look ahead. So, in Janus fashion,
> let's do some of that.
>
> To clear some muddy waters, the company is incorporated as Managed
> Systems International; filed on January 14, 1998, election effective on
> January 28, 1998. The "Serenity Systems International" name was
> registered for Managed Systems International, Inc. on January 30, 1998
> in Denton County, which is the appropriate jurisdiction for businesses
> in Lewisville, TX.
>
> Legal documents from the state and federal government are addressed as:
>
> Managed Systems International, Inc.
> Serenity Systems International
> 765 Juniper Lane
> Lewisville, TX
>
> and have been received, addressed this way, since January 1998.

Texas corporations have to have any assumed names they are using
registered with the Texas Secretary of State's Office.  According to the
Texas Secretary of State's Office, you don't have any name such as
'Serenity Systems International' registered.  This is the email that I
received from the Texas Secretary of State's office on 6 October 2004 in
reply to my email query (which you invited me to send btw):

[begin email from Texas Secretary of State]
Dear Sir,
Managed Systems International, Inc. is an inactive domestic business
corporation, file #147590300, filed on 01/14/1998 and placed under a tax
forfeiture on 07/09/2004.  Registered agent is listed as Robert T. St John,
765 Juniper Ln, Lewisville, TX  75067  There is no assumed names of file for
this entity.

There is no corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership or
assumed name of file for Serenity Systems International

Sincerely,
William P.
Corporations
[end email from Texas Secretary of State]

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4
David T. Johnson wrote:
> Bob StJohn wrote:
>
>> Seems to be a lot of discussion about "status" ... and most of it
>> coming from the FUD4, which means most of it is wrong. It is a time of
>> year which calls for a look back and a look ahead. So, in Janus
>> fashion, let's do some of that.
>>
>> To clear some muddy waters, the company is incorporated as Managed
>> Systems International; filed on January 14, 1998, election effective
>> on January 28, 1998. The "Serenity Systems International" name was
>> registered for Managed Systems International, Inc. on January 30, 1998
>> in Denton County, which is the appropriate jurisdiction for businesses
>> in Lewisville, TX.
>>
>> Legal documents from the state and federal government are addressed as:
>>
>> Managed Systems International, Inc.
>> Serenity Systems International
>> 765 Juniper Lane
>> Lewisville, TX
>>
>> and have been received, addressed this way, since January 1998.
>

> Texas corporations have to have any assumed names they are using
> registered with the Texas Secretary of State's Office.  According to the
> Texas Secretary of State's Office, you don't have any name such as
> 'Serenity Systems International' registered.  This is the email that I
> received from the Texas Secretary of State's office on 6 October 2004 in
> reply to my email query (which you invited me to send btw):
>
> [begin email from Texas Secretary of State]
> Dear Sir,
> Managed Systems International, Inc. is an inactive domestic business
> corporation, file #147590300, filed on 01/14/1998 and placed under a tax
> forfeiture on 07/09/2004.  Registered agent is listed as Robert T. St John,
> 765 Juniper Ln, Lewisville, TX  75067  There is no assumed names of file
> for
> this entity.
>
> There is no corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership or
> assumed name of file for Serenity Systems International
>

> Sincerely,
> William P.
> Corporations
> [end email from Texas Secretary of State]

Again, thank you for your diligent efforts David.  Once more you've
debunked the claims of Bob St. John et al and proven he is little
more than a fool living in a virtual world of his own.  Serenity Systems
International is an inactive domestic business and placed under a
tax forfeiture.

Now let's hear from those idiots who sat in here praising "The Boob"
for lying to them, once again.

--
Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
email:  OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com

General: [Arca Noae] Arca Noae and Serenity Systems International
++ From the VOICE OS/2-eCS News Service http://www.os2voice.org ++ From: webmeisterDESPAM@DESPAMarcanoae.com Arca Noae has posted a new item, 'Arca Noae and Serenity Systems International' For immediate release: Leesburg, Virginia, USA Arca Noae, LLC, a Delware-based Limited Liability Company, is pleased to announce the acquisition of the remaining assets of Serenity Systems International, including its domain name. The site is now hosted on the same servers hosting http://arcanoae.com, the Company history on the About page has been updated, and the links on [...

Call for papers: International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management (ICSEEM 2007)
Call for papers: International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management (ICSEEM 2007) From: International Association of Engineers (IAENG) San Francisco, USA, 24-26 October, 2007 http://www.iaeng.org/WCECS2007/ICSEEM2007.html The conference ICSEEM'07 is held under the World Congress on Engineering 2007. The WCECS 2007 is organized by the International Association of Engineers (IAENG), a non-profit international association for the engineers and the computer scientists. The conference has the focus on the frontier topics in the theoretical and applied engineering and co...

os.system vs os.system inside thread -> why is there any difference?
Hello everybody. I've found python's behaviour I can't understand. Namely the way os.system () works depending if it's being run in Thread's run function or run in 'normal' way. >>> os.system ('arping -w 1 -c 1 -I eth1 192.168.0.2') ARPING 192.168.0.2 from 62.233.239.115 eth1 Sent 1 probes (1 broadcast(s)) Received 0 response(s) 256 >>> Here as you can see, arping command quits sending packets after 1 second and outputs failure (Received 0 response(s)) information. Now the same thing, but running from thread: >>> class A...

Call for Papers: International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management ICSEEM 2012
Call for Papers: International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management ICSEEM 2012 CFP: International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management ICSEEM 2012 Draft Paper Submission Deadline: 2 July, 2012 Camera-Ready Papers Due & Registration Deadline: 30 July, 2012 ICSEEM 2012: San Francisco, USA, 24-26 October, 2012 http://www.iaeng.org/WCECS2012/ICSEEM2012.html The conference ICSEEM'12 is held under the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science WCECS 2012. The WCECS 2012 is organized by the International Association of Eng...

Call for Papers: International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management ICSEEM 2011
Call for Papers: International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management ICSEEM 2011 CFP: International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management ICSEEM 2011 Draft Paper Submission Deadline: 2 July, 2011 Camera-Ready Papers Due & Registration Deadline: 30 July, 2011 WCECS 2011: San Francisco, USA, 19-21 October, 2011 http://www.iaeng.org/WCECS2011/ICSEEM2011.html The conference ICSEEM'11 is held under the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science WCECS 2011. The WCECS 2011 is organized by the International Association of Engineers (IAE...

How do I make OS X system dismount 2 internal drives on startup (Applescript perhaps?)
I am booting a G4 desktop machine off an external FireWire drive containing Panther. It has 2 internal disks which contain OS 9 file systems. I don't want several of the accounts on the machine to have access to them, but since they're OS 9, I can't seem to change ownership or set permissions correctly. My interim solution is to simply have the OS dismount both drives on startup. I'm the only one who knows they're there and would be able to mount them from the disk utility if I needed them. The trick now is: how do I get the system to automatically eject both internal drive...

ZFS officially dead on OS X, internal file system effort picks up steam
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2009/10/23/zfs Gruber says licensing issues and concern over Oracle's acquisition of Sun killed ZFS at Apple, but that Apple's internal next-generation file system effort is "full steam ahead" and the team is hiring. -- "The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes In article <znu-479186.15473923102009@Port80.Individual.NET>, ZnU <znu@fake.invalid> wrote: > http://daringfireball.net/linked/2009/10/23/zfs > > Gruber says licensing issues and concern over Oracle's acquisition of > Sun killed ZFS at Apple, but that Apple's internal next-generation file > system effort is "full steam ahead" and the team is hiring. Well, on the surface that's seems to be a shame. It's a shame to have to reinvent what appeared to be a pretty interesting advance in filesystems. -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, s...

Call for Papers Reminder: International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management ICSEEM 2012
Call for Papers Reminder: International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management ICSEEM 2012 CFP Reminder: International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management ICSEEM 2012 Draft Paper Submission Deadline: 2 July, 2012 Camera-Ready Papers Due & Registration Deadline: 30 July, 2012 ICSEEM 2012: San Francisco, USA, 24-26 October, 2012 http://www.iaeng.org/WCECS2012/ICSEEM2012.html The conference ICSEEM'12 is held under the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science WCECS 2012. The WCECS 2012 is organized by the International ...

The 3rd International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC'07) The 4th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD'07)
** Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this announcement * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- The 3rd International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC'07) The 4th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD'07) ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 24 - 27 August 2007, Haikou, China *** Submission Deadline: 15 March 2007 *** ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www...

SN#17907 Solaris[TM] OS Developer Courses in Shell Programming, Perl, System Internals
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 110 Issue 1 2007-04-02 Article 17907 from section "Developer's Section" Learn How to Port Applications and Optimize Data Throughput There are five classes in the training path for C++ developers who want to take advantage of the Solaris[TM] Operating System (Solaris OS) by porting applications and optimizing data throughput in a networked environment. Course topics include shell programming, Perl, Sun[TM] Studio and Solaris 10 OS system internals. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=17907 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe (c) 2005 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com ...

Last Call for papers (extended): International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management (ICSEEM 2008)
Call for papers (extended): International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management (ICSEEM 2008) From: International Association of Engineers (IAENG) San Francisco, USA, 22-24 October, 2008 http://www.iaeng.org/WCECS2008/ICSEEM2008.html Important Dates: Draft Paper Submission Deadline (extended): 22 July, 2008 Camera-Ready Papers Due & Registration Deadline: 30 July, 2008 WCECS 2008: 22-24 October, 2008 The conference ICSEEM'08 is held under the World Congress on Engineering 2008. The WCECS 2008 is organized by the International Association of Engineers (IAENG), a...

MBDS paper submission due in one month (The International Workshop on Management of Big Data Systems)
CALL FOR PAPERS International Workshop on Management of Big Data Systems (MBDS 2012) http://www.cercs.gatech.edu/mbds12 In conjunction with ICAC 2012 http://icac2012.cs.fiu.edu September 21, 2012, San Jose, CA ----------------------------------------------------------------- IMPORTANT DATES Paper submission due: June 15, 2012 Author notification: July 30, 2012 Workshop: Sep 21, 2012 ----------------------------------------------------------------- OVERVIEW Data is growing at an exponential rate and several systems have emerged=20 to store and analyze such large amounts...

Call for Papers Reminder (extended): The 2013 International Conference of Systems Biology and Bioengineering (ICSBB 2013)Call for Papers Reminder (extended): The 2013 International Conference of Syste
Call for Papers Reminder (extended): The 2013 International Conference of Systems Biology and Bioengineering (ICSBB 2013) CFP Reminder (extended): International Conference of Systems Biology and Bioengineering ICSBB 2013 From: International Association of Engineers (IAENG) Draft Paper Submission Deadline (extended): 6 March, 2013 Camera-Ready papers & Registration Deadline: 31 March, 2013 WCE 2013: London, U.K., 3-5 July, 2013 http://www.iaeng.org/WCE2013/ICSBB2013.html The conference ICSBB'13 is held under the World Congress on Engineering 2013. The WCE 2013 is organized by International Association of Engineers (IAENG), a non-profit international association for the engineers and the computer scientists. The congress has the focus on the frontier topics in the theoretical and applied engineering and computer science subjects. The WCE conferences serve as good platforms for our members and the entire engineering community to meet with each other and to exchange ideas. The recent IAENG conference has attracted more than eight hundred participants from over 30 countries. Our congress committees have been formed with over three hundred committee members who are mainly research center heads, faculty deans, department heads, professors, and research scientists from different universities like Cambridge, Imperial College, Harvard, MIT and Oxford etc. The conference proceedings will be published by IAENG (ISBN: 978-988-19251-0-7) in ha...

Knowledge management systems for system administration?
Dear folks, This is sort of a more abstract question than this group usually gets, but I thought it was worth a shot. I'm looking for a sort of software that may or may not exist. Basically, what I've got in mind is software that will store information about systems, networks, software, users, etc. and the relationships between them, so that the information can be made visible and useful for managing the whole shebang. Not a database, exactly: a database might be part of the whole solution, but I'm looking for something a little higher-level than that. Not just a chart,...

Call for Papers: 13th International Conference on Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems (IPMU-2010)
[ please distribute - apologies for multiple postings ] =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D C A L L F O R P A P E R S I P M U - 2 0 1 0 13th International Conference on Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D http://www.ipmu2010.org Conference Center Westfalenhallen, Dortmund, Germany June 28 - July 2, 2010 The IPMU conference is organized every two years with the focus of bringing together scientists working on methods for the management of uncertainty and aggregation of information in intelligent systems. It provides a medium for the exchange of ideas between theoreticians and practitioners in these and related areas. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D TOPICS AND SCOPE OF THE CONFERENCE =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Theory...

[SDMAS] Second CFP: SDMAS'08
[Please, apologize for multiple posting] Second Call for papers SDMAS'08 Second International Workshop on Scalable Data Management Applications and Systems to be held within The 2008 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications Las Vegas Nevada, USA July, 14-17 2008 http://www.arcos.inf.uc3m.es/~jdaniel/sdmas08/ ** Best papers to be published in Journal of Supercomputing ** WORKSHOP SCOPE Data management is becoming a more and more important issue in every kind of computing system. High-performance computing, data visualization, mul...

Unigroup (NYC Unix/Linux user group) July 2012 Meeting: Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) Internals
PLEASE CHECK THE WEB SITE for any late moment changes: http://www.unigroup.org/unigroup-next.html and RSVP to attend at http://www.unigroup.org/unigroup-rsvp.html 1) for building security to have you on the guest list 2) to help us plan how much food to order from the caterer Unigroup's July 2012 Meeting Announcement Topic: Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) Internals Speaker: Alex Scotti, Bloomberg Date: Thursday, 19-JUL-2012 (** Regular 3rd Thursday **) Location: The Cooper Union School of Engineering (*** NEW BUILDING ***) 41 Cooper Square (3rd Avenue @ 7th Street, between 6th & 7th Streets) East Village, Manhattan New York City, 10003 Meeting Room: 506_CS (5th Floor, Note: Room Changes Month-to-Month) ** Please RSVP ** Time: 6:15 - 6:30 PM Registration 6:30 - 6:45 PM Ask the Wizard - Questions, Answers and Current Events 6:45 - 7:00 PM Unigroup Business 7:00 - 9:30 PM Main Presentation Cost: Please see the Fee Schedule below. MEETING INTRODUCTION Unigroup's June 2012 meeting will be a technical talk about Relational Databases: What they are, How they work, and What you, as the RDBMS user/programmer/administrator, should know about them. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: --------------------- Most Unigroup meetings are open to the public! To REGISTER for this event, please RSVP by using the Unigroup Re...

Re: Does anyone shut down for system disk backup any more? (Know Your System!) System!) System!)
> > It is a bad idea to open files on a remote system or on another cluster > > system > > system-disk. This is perfectly fine for shared data disks - that is the > whole > > point of clustering and RMS - shared resources. > > Then again, all of your systems may share the same system disk. I keep forgetting about that... I do not share my system disk amongst my clustered servers. I keep one system disk for each server. Pros and Cons both ways - however I felt it safer and faster (yes more expensive) to do one disk per server then multiple servers per one di...

System.out and System.err
I think we all assume that access to System.out and System.err is thread-safe; if we write to them from more than one threads, the worst that will happen is output getting interleaved but not lost, nor will exceptions be caused by unsynchronized access (e.g., we don't expect internal bufferr-copying routines to get confused.) Looking, though, I can't find this guarnteed anywhere. Can anyone point to an offical statement about it? On 2008-10-02 00:09:52 +0200, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschilling@hotmail.com> said: > I think we all assume that access to System.out and System.err is > thread-safe; if we write to them from more than one threads, the worst > that will happen is output getting interleaved but not lost, nor will > exceptions be caused by unsynchronized access (e.g., we don't expect > internal bufferr-copying routines to get confused.) Looking, though, > I can't find this guarnteed anywhere. Can anyone point to an offical > statement about it? Well the only "official" statement I have found looking at the implementation of PrintStream which System.out and System.err are internally. The write( .... ) methods are all internally synchronized, so they will not produce weird results when multiple threads access them: public void write(int b) { try { synchronized (this) { ensureOpen(); out.write(b); if ((b == '\n') && autoFlush) out.flush(); } } catc...

Systems of interconnected systems...
Hi, I just re-read an old paper by Ericsson entitled "Developing Large-scale Systems with the Rational Unified Process". It is a nice and readable article concerning the development of interconnected systems and it describes a process (or a pattern) where the system's use cases/functionalities/responsibilities are split out onto its different subsystems. It focuses mainly on the building of "very large or complex systems such as command and control systems". However, the article points out that any system where it is possible to view different parts of the system as systems of their own, it is advisable to define it as a system of interconnected systems. So, this holds for most, if not all, non-trivial systems then. I think that the described process of splitting responsibilities onto the different subsystems is very attractive and has many positive benefits. However, despite its potential I have not seen a direct use or reference of this process in any of the authorative sources on Software Development Methods/Process. Have I missed such a source? Or have I missed something essential which disqualifies the described process which stopped it from being a huge hit in our field? ;-) /Tommy Note. I found the article online at: http://www.webmentors.net/cs/se1/Material/RUP/sis.pdf Responding to TommyS... > I think that the described process of splitting responsibilities > onto the different subsystems is very attractive and has many > ...

An internal system error has occurred
Hi I was creating disk images from a set of CDROMs on my Mac Book Pro using Disk Utility when suddenly I got this error "An internal system error has occurred" I tried restarting the computer .. no joy.. Nothing on the help available. Also could not find anything helpful on Google. Any ideas what I can / should do to fix this problem? Regards Rishi Hi Again Here are the contents of the console log errors ------------------------------------------------------------------ Creating Image "vol7.dmg" Preparing imaging engine... Unable to create "vol7.dmg" - ...

International
We require a suitably qualified individual to serve as a systems administrator and to assist in the completion of development of our new account control center. The successful applicant would be employed on an independent contractor basis. As this is a remote position (working from your home/office), persons from any country are quite welcome to apply. The base hours would be 30 per week, but the person must be able to respond 24/7 to pages if our systems go down. Response time must be in a reasonable range - ideally less than 10 minutes, but up to one hour would be understandable...

Website Internal Messaging System
Hello everyone, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for on the net at any of the asp sites. I want to build a simple internal messaging system where users can send and receive messages to each other, Not a chat. For example, Bob clicks on a "Send Message" in Susans Profile. Bob is directed to a page with a text area where he writes a message and then sends it. Susan logs in and sees that there is a message from Bob. She can open it and read it, save it or delete it or respond to Bob. Sounds simple enough but where and how would you store these messages in the ms-access ...

System::DProf and system()
hello, I am curently processing profiling data from a script that contains calls to external program via system(). I would need to know wether the timing info reported by DProf also includes the running time of these external programs or not. thanks Cl=E9ment. "crez" <clement.rezvoy@gmail.com> wrote: > hello, > > I am curently processing profiling data from a script that contains > calls to external program via system(). I would need to know wether the > timing info reported by DProf also includes the running time of these > external programs or not. Tha...

Web resources about - Serenity Systems International, Managed Systems International, Inc. - comp.os.os2.ecomstation

International Law Office - Legal Newsletters, Law Firm Directory and Legal News
... of the world's major deals and the legal advisers involved, and a global news round-up. ILO is the official online media partner to the International ...

International Space Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
7,706.6 m/s (27,743.8 km/h, 17,239.2 mph) The International Space Station ( ISS ) is a habitable artificial satellite in low Earth orbit . It ...

Police interviewing 'person of interest' after potential threat near Halifax International Airport
Police say they received “third-hand information” early Thursday morning about a threat, and notified RCMP, who ramped up their presence around ...

Here’s How Social Media Celebrated International Women’s Day
March 8 was International Women’s Day , where we were invited to celebrate the economic, cultural and political achievement of women worldwide. ...

Fighting censorship: Edward Snowden, Amnesty International, AdBlock and Pussy Riot
... and for World Day Against Cyber Censorship, AdBlock is opting to replace banner ads that would normally be blocked with links to Amnesty International. ...

International Student Numbers At U.S. Colleges Grew At The Fastest Rate In 35 Years
... enrollments are a lucrative source of tuition fees for U.S. colleges, and NYU is leading the charge to recruit more. The number of international ...

International Criminal Court
News, Photos and Information about International Criminal Court

Mizuho Bank eyes blockchain to speed international securities transactions
Japan's Mizuho Bank is considering using blockchain technology to speed the cross-border transfer of financial instruments. It has just concluded ...

Lionsgate Taps Sony Marketing Vet Michael Fisk As EVP International Marketing
In a newly created position, Lionsgate has named Michael Fisk as Executive Vice President of International Marketing. Fisk spent 12 years at ...