bogo no go, has mogo on the go-go-go

No luck here trying to get Doug Bissett's bogofilter add-on working in
my PMMail installation.  I'm sure it's a simple directory error -- at
first I tried to install it *inside* my SOUTHSDE\TOOLS directory, but
after that didn't work, I realized that the different directory
structures of PMMail dictated another strategy.

So, I created another directory to more closely mimic what the README
suggested, and moved everything over there, like so:

F:\SOUTHSDE
   <dir>User_Tools
   <dir>TOOLS
   <dir>PMMAIL

User_Tools contains

   <dir>BOGOFILTER_DIR
   <dir>bin
   <dir>src
   <dir>man
   <dir>ips
   <dir>etc
   pmm_bogofilter.cmd
   PMMBogoFilter011.txt
   pmm_train_no_spam.cmd
   InstBogo.cmd
   pmm_train_spam.cmd

I adjusted all the references within PMMail's notebooks, so e.g, the
Message Receive EXit script is

F:\SOUTHSDE\User_Tools\pmm_bogofilter.cmd

but when PMMail collects an e-mail the debug returns

BOGOFILTER_DIR set to: F:\SOUTHSDE\User_Tools\BOGOFILTER_DIR
This should be ...\User_Tools\BOGOFILTER_DIR
The command to run BogoFilter is:
F:\SOUTHSDE\User_Tools\bin\bogofilter.exe
This should be ...\User_Tools\bin\bogofilter.exe
FilePath = F:\SOUTHSDE\PMMAIL\RAPHAE1.ACT\DROPBOX
Filename = HK12HK0.MSG

11:46:32.81
Fri  8/22/2003
[F:\SOUTHSDE\PMMAIL\RAPHAE1.ACT\DROPBOX]F:\SOUTHSDE\User_Tools\bin\bogofilter.exe
-p -o 0.54 -I HK12HK0.MSG -O HK12HK0.MSG.bogo
bogofilter: (db) open(
F:\SOUTHSDE\User_Tools\BOGOFILTER_DIR/goodlist.db ), err:
 22, Invalid argument
Can't open good (F:\SOUTHSDE\User_Tools\BOGOFILTER_DIR/goodlist.db),
errno 2, No
 such file or directory
BogoFilter returned = 2
Stat_size

before it ends...

cheers,

--

-rafe t
www.ray-field.com

On 22 Aug 2003 10:12:15 -0700, ray field wrote:

>[F:\SOUTHSDE\PMMAIL\RAPHAE1.ACT\DROPBOX]F:\SOUTHSDE\User_Tools\bin\bogofilter.exe
>-p -o 0.54 -I HK12HK0.MSG -O HK12HK0.MSG.bogo
>bogofilter: (db) open(
>F:\SOUTHSDE\User_Tools\BOGOFILTER_DIR/goodlist.db ), err:
> 22, Invalid argument
>Can't open good (F:\SOUTHSDE\User_Tools\BOGOFILTER_DIR/goodlist.db),
>errno 2, No

Train a SPAM Ray. The docs for BogoFilter explain the error 2. It
hasn't created the wordfiles yet but will do so once it has had a spam
trained. Also don't worry about the / instead of the \, BogoFilter was
ported from Unix and this is how it's error message is coded.

It will also need a good email trained as not spam, it always seems to
return a bogosity of 0.415000 until it has some words in the goodlist.
You can see the bogosity by looking at the header of the message.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail	ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk

0
Rodney
8/22/2003 5:45:06 PM
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:45:06 +0100 (BST), Rodney Pont wrote:

>Train a SPAM Ray. The docs for BogoFilter explain the error 2. It
>hasn't created the wordfiles yet but will do so once it has had a spam
>trained. Also don't worry about the / instead of the \, BogoFilter was
>ported from Unix and this is how it's error message is coded.
>
>It will also need a good email trained as not spam, it always seems to
>return a bogosity of 0.415000 until it has some words in the goodlist.
>You can see the bogosity by looking at the header of the message.

Doug has put a new version at Hobbes incoming, PMMBogoFilter012.wpi,
which has some initialised wordlists so you don't have to train before
use any more, it will still need training but at least it won't bomb
out.

Which version of PMMail/2 are you using Ray? We have only tested on v2
but previous versions used the SOUTHSDE directory structure if I'm
remembering correctly.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail	ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk

0
Rodney
8/22/2003 9:06:41 PM
On 23 Aug 2003 07:05:56 -0700, ray field wrote:

>Oops, beg your pardon.  I didn't read the FM all the way through plus
>I thought that a zipfile 1 meg big came with a database already.

We should have thought about it but since we were installing from
scratch as it were we read the docs :-)

>Ok, all seems to be going properly now, incoming mail bears the
>looks like this

>I can't wait to get more spams to train her!  Unfortunately the
>account which gets the most spam gets very little legitimate email.

Have you trained any legitimate mail? You can add a train as not spam
filter to any account even if you don't want to filter spam. The more
of both the better it gets, I'm seeing bogosity of 0.999999 at times.

>PMMail version is 2.20.2200.

I put my v2 into a new directory structure and kept v1.9 since there
are some emails I wanted to keep.

>Just as a side note, I'm not sure WarpIn is really the optimal way to
>install a little add-in package like this one -- especially as in this
>instance, there's a lot of manual tweaking to be done in any case.  As
>it happened, since the install routine was expecting a directory
>structure I didn't have, it caused more trouble than it resolved.  I
>know this has been argued about and chewed over countless times and I
>don't really want to start it up again but I mention it as someone who
>doesn't think WarpIn installations are a bad thing generally.

I agree that WarpIn is a bit of an overkill at the moment but Doug
wants to automate more of the install and this gives him the
possibility.

>Thanks to you and as ever to Doug for your initiative and work on
>this, I have a feeling this is going to be a very useful tool.

We've benefited as well :-)

It's a bit of luck that we did it really, I saw a couple of comments by
him that started me thinking, then a couple of comments from me got him
thinking, then he put in the work and now I don't have to close my
email account with all the aggravation that involves.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail	ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk

0
Rodney
8/23/2003 5:11:25 PM
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:11:25 UTC, "Rodney Pont"
<spam07@infohit.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> We've benefited as well :-)

We certainly did...

> It's a bit of luck that we did it really, I saw a couple of comments by
> him that started me thinking, then a couple of comments from me got him
> thinking, then he put in the work and now I don't have to close my
> email account with all the aggravation that involves.

I don't know if it will completely cure the SPAM problem, but it sure
makes it easier to manage. Too bad, it can't look at the server, and
filter the SPAM, before it is downloaded, but I suppose it still needs
to download it, to see what is in the e-mail..

Hopefully, the people who are working on BogoFilter can find a way to
make it more effective, although it is very good, as it is.
--
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

Doug