"Locked" CD's & DVD's

Not sure this is my system or universal . . .
  Anyway does anybody have the same problem and know why?  Certain
CD-Roms and DVD-Roms will read fine in their respective drives and
then will not eject.  The properties SAY the "Locked" is unchecked or
listed as 'Locked' so as to be able to lock them - but this has no
effect.  Clicking "eject" gives a system error of wrong parameter.
Pressing the button on the drive has no effect.

  Other CD's and DVD's either do not "lock" or say in properties
"Unlock"  which when clicked do allow their retrieval.  The only
solution for the others is a reboot and get them in between.
   Paul

PaulRS
10/16/2010 3:02:39 AM
comp.os.os2.misc 2779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 16 Oct 2010 03:02:39 GMT, PaulRS wrote:

>Not sure this is my system or universal . . .
>  Anyway does anybody have the same problem and know why?  Certain
>CD-Roms and DVD-Roms will read fine in their respective drives and
>then will not eject.  The properties SAY the "Locked" is unchecked or
>listed as 'Locked' so as to be able to lock them - but this has no
>effect.  Clicking "eject" gives a system error of wrong parameter.
>Pressing the button on the drive has no effect.
>
>  Other CD's and DVD's either do not "lock" or say in properties
>"Unlock"  which when clicked do allow their retrieval.  The only
>solution for the others is a reboot and get them in between.
>   Paul
>--

What about the little hole and a straightened
paper clip?

Cheers,

Tom              [Tom Perrett]        <tomp@st.net.au>

0
Tom
10/16/2010 3:34:57 AM
PaulRS wrote:

>    Anyway does anybody have the same problem and know why?  Certain
> CD-Roms and DVD-Roms will read fine in their respective drives and
> then will not eject.

At some point, IBM added eject.exe/lock.exe/unlock.exe for CD drives.
The naming of the latter is unfortunate, since it conflicts with the
handy utility from the lxLite package, but perhaps it will do what you need?

0
Steve
10/16/2010 4:18:33 AM
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:18:33 -0700, Steve Wendt <spamsux@forgetit.org> wrote:

>>    Anyway does anybody have the same problem and know why?  Certain
>> CD-Roms and DVD-Roms will read fine in their respective drives and
>> then will not eject.
>
> At some point, IBM added eject.exe/lock.exe/unlock.exe for CD drives.
> The naming of the latter is unfortunate, since it conflicts with the
> handy utility from the lxLite package, but perhaps it will do what you need?

Somebody did a version which combined the functionality of both.
Can't remember where I got it from though.

?[ unLock ]??????????????????????????????[ Version 1.3.2 ]?
? Copyright 1996 by FRIENDS software ? No rights reserved ?
? Usage for executable unlock: unLock [FileMask( FileMask)] {[?|-]Options}
? /P{+|-} Enable (+) or disable (-) pause before each file
? /R{+|-} [R]ecursive (+) file search through subdirectories
? /V{+|-} Verbose (show additional information)
? /?,/H   Show this help screen
??Default: /P- /R- /V-
??Example: unLock d:\*.exe d:\*.dll /r
?
? Usage for IBM UDF unlock: unLock drive:
??Example: unLock S:
0
Paul
10/16/2010 12:36:33 PM
On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:36:33 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
<abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:18:33 -0700, Steve Wendt <spamsux@forgetit.org> wrote:
>
> >>    Anyway does anybody have the same problem and know why?  Certain
> >> CD-Roms and DVD-Roms will read fine in their respective drives and
> >> then will not eject.
> >
> > At some point, IBM added eject.exe/lock.exe/unlock.exe for CD drives.
> > The naming of the latter is unfortunate, since it conflicts with the
> > handy utility from the lxLite package, but perhaps it will do what you need?
>
> Somebody did a version which combined the functionality of both.
> Can't remember where I got it from though.
>
> ?[ unLock ]??????????????????????????????[ Version 1.3.2 ]?
> ? Copyright 1996 by FRIENDS software ? No rights reserved ?
> ? Usage for executable unlock: unLock [FileMask( FileMask)] {[?|-]Options}
> ? /P{+|-} Enable (+) or disable (-) pause before each file
> ? /R{+|-} [R]ecursive (+) file search through subdirectories
> ? /V{+|-} Verbose (show additional information)
> ? /?,/H   Show this help screen
> ??Default: /P- /R- /V-
> ??Example: unLock d:\*.exe d:\*.dll /r
> ?
> ? Usage for IBM UDF unlock: unLock drive:
> ??Example: unLock S:

Thanks for the "tip."  On Hobbes I found "eject100" that dissolves to
"rcontrol.exe" & "rcontrol.txt"  When using the 'status S' parameter
it lists the drive with media as 'unlocked' - however it will not
eject (even with the paper clip (MadDog-Desktop CDROM)).  When I used
the 'unlock U' parameter it took about 5 seconds and then did allow
the CD to be removed.  Thanks!

  Anyway - this just seems to happen with certain disks - usually
commercial.  No problem with music, burned cds, and other commercial
disks.  If anyone can guess as to what on the CD triggers this I would
be interested.
  Also if I copy and burn my own CD (i.e. "CDCOPY") the burned cd
reacts the same.  If I copy all the files on the offending CD to the
HD and then make an equivalent CD from these (i.e. DATACD) it works
fine.  My deduction is that something on the original CD track is
causing this - for what purpose I do not know.   They do not react
this way in either WinXP or SuSE Linux - ONLY OS/2

Paul

PaulRS
10/16/2010 4:44:51 PM
PaulRS wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:36:33 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
> <abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78>  wrote:

>>> At some point, IBM added eject.exe/lock.exe/unlock.exe for CD drives.
>>> The naming of the latter is unfortunate, since it conflicts with the
>>> handy utility from the lxLite package, but perhaps it will do what you need?
>>
>> Somebody did a version which combined the functionality of both.
>> Can't remember where I got it from though.
>>
>> ?[ unLock ]??????????????????????????????[ Version 1.3.2 ]?
>> ? Copyright 1996 by FRIENDS software ? No rights reserved ?
>> ? Usage for executable unlock: unLock [FileMask( FileMask)] {[?|-]Options}
>> ? /P{+|-} Enable (+) or disable (-) pause before each file
>> ? /R{+|-} [R]ecursive (+) file search through subdirectories
>> ? /V{+|-} Verbose (show additional information)
>> ? /?,/H   Show this help screen
>> ??Default: /P- /R- /V-
>> ??Example: unLock d:\*.exe d:\*.dll /r
>> ?
>> ? Usage for IBM UDF unlock: unLock drive:
>> ??Example: unLock S:
>
> Thanks for the "tip."  On Hobbes I found "eject100" that dissolves to
> "rcontrol.exe"&  "rcontrol.txt"  When using the 'status S' parameter
> it lists the drive with media as 'unlocked' - however it will not
> eject (even with the paper clip (MadDog-Desktop CDROM)).  When I used
> the 'unlock U' parameter it took about 5 seconds and then did allow
> the CD to be removed.  Thanks!
>
>    Anyway - this just seems to happen with certain disks - usually
> commercial.  No problem with music, burned cds, and other commercial
> disks.  If anyone can guess as to what on the CD triggers this I would
> be interested.
>    Also if I copy and burn my own CD (i.e. "CDCOPY") the burned cd
> reacts the same.  If I copy all the files on the offending CD to the
> HD and then make an equivalent CD from these (i.e. DATACD) it works
> fine.  My deduction is that something on the original CD track is
> causing this - for what purpose I do not know.   They do not react
> this way in either WinXP or SuSE Linux - ONLY OS/2

IIRC
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/cd/grabber/leech12.zip
has a switch which will show you the disc info and might show the
difference.
I have problems ripping some CD's with my DVD writer but they rip fine
with an old CD writer. Seems some drives respect the no copy bit.
Dave

0
Dave