Can't upgrade from OS/2 v. 4.0 ???

Hi Folks:

Here's one for the experts.  My beloved OS/2 v. 4.0 crashed
a couple of months ago, after some 3 to 5 years, taking the
OS partition and an MBR and some other stuff with it.  So I
fixed up the world with both Partition Magic v. 5.0 and
DFSee v. 7.01; now, there are no error messages or warnings
from either.

eCS v. 1.2 won't install.
eCS v. 1.1 won't install.
eCS v. 1.0 won't install.
OS/2 v. 4.52 (MCP 2) won't install.
OS/2 v. 4.51 (MCP 1) won't install.

OS/2 v. 4.0 _WILL_ install  <<-----   !!! ??? !!!

I had the first 5 in house, ready to go if I could ever
scrape together the time to put any of them in.  The 5 all
quit at about the same place, where the installation switches
over from the appropriate 3 installation disks to the CD, or
also on the MCP2 or the eCS's, where the CD boot code run by
the BIOS switches over.  Plainly, the CD drivers or something
closely related is suspect.  Specifying the OLDCDROM driver
on eCS makes no difference.

The machine is a creakingly old 1988 Acer, locally assembled
by a friend who knew OS/2.

It should be possible to edit the 3 installation diskettes of
any of the 5 (the versions of eCS installation diskettes for
editing rather than the ones with the compressed installation
files) and fix this problem with upgrading.  But can anyone
suggest what to do here ?  What files do I replace, from say,
the year 2000 updated installation diskettes to fix this
upgrading problem ?

TIA.

John.
--
John H. Lindsay  Kingston, Ontario, Canada  jlindsay@kingston.net

0
John
4/4/2005 4:01:12 PM
comp.os.os2.misc 2779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

John H. Lindsay wrote:

> eCS v. 1.2 won't install.
> eCS v. 1.1 won't install.
> eCS v. 1.0 won't install.
> OS/2 v. 4.52 (MCP 2) won't install.
> OS/2 v. 4.51 (MCP 1) won't install.
>
> OS/2 v. 4.0 _WILL_ install  <<-----   !!! ??? !!!

Those newer versions use LVM instead of FDISK. I think this problem has
something to do with OS2DASD.DMD (don't recognize motherboard's
chipset). Do you get a message "OS/2 cannot operate your hard disk"?

I have same problems in some machines with my updated MCP2 (with
UpdcCD), anyhow my updated Warp 3 installs fine (used Dani drivers which
have larger support to different chipsets) to those same machines.

This is a very serious problem and should be solved as quick as possible
by IBM, IMHO.

--
-tapsa-
Using Thunderbird 1.0.2 in Warp 4.52

OS/2 site in finnish language
http://tapsa.terae.net/os2/
0
Tapani
4/4/2005 7:35:09 PM
Hi Again Folks:

Tapani Raikkonen wrote:

> John H. Lindsay wrote:
>
>> eCS v. 1.2 won't install.
>> eCS v. 1.1 won't install.
>> eCS v. 1.0 won't install.
>> OS/2 v. 4.52 (MCP 2) won't install.
>> OS/2 v. 4.51 (MCP 1) won't install.
>>
>> OS/2 v. 4.0 _WILL_ install  <<-----   !!! ??? !!!
>

> Those newer versions use LVM instead of FDISK. I think this problem has
> something to do with OS2DASD.DMD (don't recognize motherboard's
> chipset). Do you get a message "OS/2 cannot operate your hard disk"?
>
> I have same problems in some machines with my updated MCP2 (with
> UpdcCD), anyhow my updated Warp 3 installs fine (used Dani drivers which
> have larger support to different chipsets) to those same machines.
>
> This is a very serious problem and should be solved as quick as possible
> by IBM, IMHO.

Thanks for the reply, but I never get to the stage that
I can get any sort of a message from either the installer
proper (once it has switched to the normal access to the
CD); the installation routines, all of them, just
promptly go into some sort of hard hang.  I have to reboot
with at least CAD; with some, I can't even reset, I have to
turn the power off then on again.

John.
--
John H. Lindsay  Kingston, Ontario, Canada
0
John
4/4/2005 11:02:28 PM
John H. Lindsay wrote:
> Hi Again Folks:
>
> Tapani Raikkonen wrote:
>
>> John H. Lindsay wrote:
>>
>>> eCS v. 1.2 won't install.
>>> eCS v. 1.1 won't install.
>>> eCS v. 1.0 won't install.
>>> OS/2 v. 4.52 (MCP 2) won't install.
>>> OS/2 v. 4.51 (MCP 1) won't install.
>>>
>>> OS/2 v. 4.0 _WILL_ install  <<-----   !!! ??? !!!
>>

>> Those newer versions use LVM instead of FDISK. I think this problem
>> has something to do with OS2DASD.DMD (don't recognize motherboard's
>> chipset). Do you get a message "OS/2 cannot operate your hard disk"?
>>
>> I have same problems in some machines with my updated MCP2 (with
>> UpdcCD), anyhow my updated Warp 3 installs fine (used Dani drivers
>> which have larger support to different chipsets) to those same machines.
>>
>> This is a very serious problem and should be solved as quick as
>> possible by IBM, IMHO.
>>

> Thanks for the reply, but I never get to the stage that
> I can get any sort of a message from either the installer
> proper (once it has switched to the normal access to the
> CD); the installation routines, all of them, just
> promptly go into some sort of hard hang.  I have to reboot
> with at least CAD; with some, I can't even reset, I have to
> turn the power off then on again.
>
> John.
> --
> John H. Lindsay  Kingston, Ontario, Canada

John,

When you boot the install and the the OS/2 blob in the top corner of the
screen appears, do a ALT-F2.  This should should display the drivers
being loaded.  I have had hangs with various SCSI drivers over the years.
When the last one displays (the system hangs) that is the one you need
to 'rem' out.
My install CD does not try any of the following:
In snoop.lst
AHA174x.snp
DAC960.snp
QL????.snp    (3 drivers)
FD????.snp     (3 drivers)

In config.sys:
AHA174x.add
DAC960.add
QL????.add    (3 drivers)
FD????.add     (3 drivers)

If you rem one out in snoop.lst, you must rem it out in config.sys.

If you want to create an updated install CD with newer drivers,
fixpacks,  & add-on software, a program called UPDCD is great.  Check it
out at:
http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm

Hope this helps
Rich
0
Rich
4/5/2005 1:46:29 AM
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:01:12 -0400, John H. Lindsay
<jlin_DELETE_THIS_SPAM_ZOT_dsay@kingston.net> wrote:
> eCS v. 1.2 won't install.
> eCS v. 1.1 won't install.
> eCS v. 1.0 won't install.
> OS/2 v. 4.52 (MCP 2) won't install.
> OS/2 v. 4.51 (MCP 1) won't install.
>
> OS/2 v. 4.0 _WILL_ install  <<-----   !!! ??? !!!
>
> I had the first 5 in house, ready to go if I could ever
> scrape together the time to put any of them in.  The 5 all
> quit at about the same place, where the installation switches
> over from the appropriate 3 installation disks to the CD, or
> also on the MCP2 or the eCS's, where the CD boot code run by
> the BIOS switches over.  Plainly, the CD drivers or something
> closely related is suspect.  Specifying the OLDCDROM driver
> on eCS makes no difference.

More information is needed.  EXACT on-screen messages, for instance.

Furthermore, you don't make it clear whether you are trying to install
onto a clean partition or not.

> It should be possible to edit the 3 installation diskettes of
> any of the 5 (the versions of eCS installation diskettes for
> editing rather than the ones with the compressed installation
> files) and fix this problem with upgrading.  But can anyone
> suggest what to do here ?  What files do I replace, from say,
> the year 2000 updated installation diskettes to fix this
> upgrading problem ?

You could try the experimental boot disk creator on the eComStation
BetaZone.  This will allow you to create bootable floppies for eCS 1.2
installation off CD.  (And a couple of other kinds, too.)

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).
0
Alex
4/5/2005 2:23:09 PM
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:01:12 -0400, John H. Lindsay wrote:

>It should be possible to edit the 3 installation diskettes of
>any of the 5 (the versions of eCS installation diskettes for
>editing rather than the ones with the compressed installation
>files) and fix this problem with upgrading.  But can anyone
>suggest what to do here ?  What files do I replace, from say,
>the year 2000 updated installation diskettes to fix this
>upgrading problem ?

Yes it is. I'v done it.

You need to load the DANI software that is on Hobbs on to the diskettes.
This supports the newer hard drives as well as fixing some of the IDE problems
that was in the original release.

Be sure to include 'SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1' in the config.sys on disk number two.
this will install the drivers from the boot-up floppies instead of the CD-ROM drive.

Doug Kneupper

0
Doug
4/5/2005 3:23:32 PM
Rich Wonneberger ha escrito:
John,

I had a problem resembling yours in an Aptiva. I couldn't install
anything newer than MCP1. I solved it by disabling Bus Master in the 1st
diskette, editing Config.SYS as follows

BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /A:0 /!BM

Of course I also used set copyfromfloppy=yes

Hope it works

Eduardo Vila Echague

0
ISO