Canon iP4000 and Epson C84 Printers - Advice Please

This week, the Los Angeles Times has advertisements from Fry's
Electronics for a couple of interesting printers.  Yesterday, it was the
Epson C84, available for slightly _less_ than the cost of replacement
ink cartridges for my current Epson C82 printer (about $70 US after
mail-in rebate, of course).  Today, it is a Canon iP4000 printer, which
is said to have a faster print speed rating and to feature "built-in"
two-sided printing, which might mean it is available under OS/2.  The
price is about $130 US + tax.

I think I read recently that some Canon printer works well with one of
OS/2's generic printer drivers, and that the Canon makes ink go further
than the Epson printers.

My C82 printer isn't working well right now.  I think the reason is that
I didn't print anything for 3 - 4 weeks, and my black ink cartridge will
not "clear up" when I do a nozzle check operation.  (Actually, I just
tried "cleaning" it again, and it seems to have improved.  That just
means I have a little time before I have to spend $70+ on ink again!)

Does anyone have experience with these different printers, and
suggestions for what I should do to get good, dependable printing going
again?

0
Colin
8/25/2004 9:02:28 PM
comp.os.os2.misc 2779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Colin Campbell wrote:
> mail-in rebate, of course).  Today, it is a Canon iP4000 printer

Afaik this one uses five cartridges (those from the iSeries working with
OS/2 only 4) so there is a good chance it won't work, especially as it
is a host-based printer which needs specific drivers.

Klaus Staedtler

0
Klaus
8/25/2004 9:09:36 PM
Klaus Staedtler wrote:

> Colin Campbell wrote:
>
>> mail-in rebate, of course).  Today, it is a Canon iP4000 printer
>

> Afaik this one uses five cartridges (those from the iSeries working
> with OS/2 only 4) so there is a good chance it won't work, especially
> as it is a host-based printer which needs specific drivers.
>
> Klaus Staedtler

Thanks, Klaus.  I had not done any further research about this printer.
Are there other Canon printers I _should_ consider?

0
Colin
8/25/2004 9:54:01 PM
Colin Campbell wrote:
> Thanks, Klaus.  I had not done any further research about this printer.
> Are there other Canon printers I _should_ consider?

the i550/i560, i850, i950. As there are ppd's for Linux (well hidden on
a jpanase only side ;-) too - not for trhe newer ones until now, they
would also work there and you could use those linux ppd's to get
ghostscript on OS/2 working great with these printers.

Klaus Staedtler

0
Klaus
8/26/2004 6:10:13 AM
Klaus,

I think you forgot the i860 and i960.  Or was that intentional?

--
Fred Blau
(Change "s@" to "systematics@")
Fred Blau wrote:
> Klaus,
>
> I think you forgot the i860 and i960.  Or was that intentional?

I don't know (and before giving a wrong advice), same with the i865 and
i965

Klaus Staedtler

0
Klaus