com.sys and usbser.sys question

I got a question, for those knowing more about that matter than myself,
which shouldn't be hard ;-)

Temporarily having 2 phone lines at my disposal, I wanted to put my old
modem back to use as a phone number dialer, using the BonusPack PIM
Phonebook application.
But I had quite some trouble to get my COM1 port to work at all with any
comm application.

It finally turned out, that COM.SYS has to be loaded before USBSER.SYS,
since otherwise USBSER.SYS is hijacking COM1 unnoticed. Now, in the order
shown below, it assigns itself to COM6 (if not remed out), but COM1 still
doesn't work for those comm apps (PIM Phonebook, HALite, etc).

DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS /V
DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS /V
DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS /V /N:COM5
DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS /V
DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (3,3E8,4) (4,2E8,3) /V
	rem	DEVICE=F:\OS2\BOOT\USBSER.SYS /V  	blockiert Com1
DEVICE=F:\MMOS2\USBAUDIO.SYS

But at least now I got all 4 COM ports listed again in the 3rd tab (Output
something) of printer objects, rather than as before, only COM2-4, but
still no trace of COM6 by USBSER.SYS.

The question now is, how exactly is USBSER.SYS supposed to work?

Does it always have to prevent any comm app from using f.e. a modem
connected to COM1, so that you only either can have a traditional serial
modem working on this port with USBSER.SYS remed out in Config.sys, or a
USB2Ser adapter, which then *always* seems to default to COM1, rather than
f.e. COM6 or COM7?

Am I missing here something, are there still other options?

Now I'm curiously waiting for answers ;-)

Wolfi
0
Wolfi
11/1/2004 9:56:08 PM
comp.os.os2.misc 2779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Wolfi wrote:

> It finally turned out, that COM.SYS has to be loaded before USBSER.SYS,
> since otherwise USBSER.SYS is hijacking COM1 unnoticed.

On my system here, USBSER attaches as COM3, the first available COM
beyond the two internal UARTS. This is in accordance to the sources
where I can see the code that checks for previously allocated COM port
numbers.

Ciao,
   Dani
0
Daniela
11/2/2004 6:43:00 PM
Daniela Engert wrote:
> Wolfi wrote:
>
>> It finally turned out, that COM.SYS has to be loaded before
>> USBSER.SYS, since otherwise USBSER.SYS is hijacking COM1 unnoticed.
>

> On my system here, USBSER attaches as COM3, the first available COM
> beyond the two internal UARTS. This is in accordance to the sources
> where I can see the code that checks for previously allocated COM port
> numbers.

Mmmh, for some reason this doesn't seem to work here. Well I have four of
them, 2 sitting in the SuperIO chip on-board and 2 more on an ISA card.

Do your 2 COM ports still both work for those communications apps?
As I mentioned, even if USBSER reports to use COM6 and COM1 shows up in
the printer ports dialogue, those comm apps still cannot use it here.

Or could it be, that I'm running an now outdated version?
Bldlevel says:
@#IBM:10.119#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver

Wolfi
0
Wolfi
11/2/2004 7:58:19 PM
Wolfi wrote:
> Daniela Engert wrote:
>
>> Wolfi wrote:
>>
>>> It finally turned out, that COM.SYS has to be loaded before
>>> USBSER.SYS, since otherwise USBSER.SYS is hijacking COM1 unnoticed.
>>

>> On my system here, USBSER attaches as COM3, the first available COM
>> beyond the two internal UARTS. This is in accordance to the sources
>> where I can see the code that checks for previously allocated COM port
>> numbers.
>>
> Mmmh, for some reason this doesn't seem to work here. Well I have four
> of them, 2 sitting in the SuperIO chip on-board and 2 more on an ISA card.
>
> Do your 2 COM ports still both work for those communications apps?

They do. I've tested it with two instances of ZOC, one running on COM1:
(16550 UART), the other running on COM3: (FTDI FT8U232B
USB-to-serial-adapter), moving data at 115kBaud between both ports.
Tests with a Kobil HBCI card reader were fine on both ports, too.

> As I mentioned, even if USBSER reports to use COM6 and COM1 shows up in
> the printer ports dialogue, those comm apps still cannot use it here.
>
> Or could it be, that I'm running an now outdated version?
> Bldlevel says:
> @#IBM:10.119#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver

Well, mine reads:
@#DANI:0.2#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver

Ciao,
   Dani
0
Daniela
11/3/2004 6:39:14 PM
Daniela Engert wrote:
> Wolfi wrote:
>
>> Daniela Engert wrote:

>>> On my system here, USBSER attaches as COM3, the first available COM
>>> beyond the two internal UARTS. This is in accordance to the sources
>>> where I can see the code that checks for previously allocated COM
>>> port numbers.
>>>
>> Mmmh, for some reason this doesn't seem to work here. Well I have four
>> of them, 2 sitting in the SuperIO chip on-board and 2 more on an ISA
>> card.
>>
>> Do your 2 COM ports still both work for those communications apps?
>

> They do. I've tested it with two instances of ZOC, one running on COM1:
> (16550 UART), the other running on COM3: (FTDI FT8U232B
> USB-to-serial-adapter), moving data at 115kBaud between both ports.
> Tests with a Kobil HBCI card reader were fine on both ports, too.
>
>> As I mentioned, even if USBSER reports to use COM6 and COM1 shows up
>> in the printer ports dialogue, those comm apps still cannot use it here.
>>
>> Or could it be, that I'm running an now outdated version?
>> Bldlevel says:
>> @#IBM:10.119#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver
>

> Well, mine reads:
> @#DANI:0.2#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver

Aha, that's a fine, but most likely very important detail, I guess ;-)
Hence your remark about "in accordance to the sources where ..." :-)

But it doesn't seem to be publicly available on Hobbes yet, so is it still
in private evaluation phase?

Wolfi
0
Wolfi
11/3/2004 9:17:03 PM
Wolfi wrote:
>> Well, mine reads:
>> @#DANI:0.2#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver
>

> Aha, that's a fine, but most likely very important detail, I guess ;-)

I have no idea if this is the case because I didn't change this
particular part of the driver sources. And I don't have an idea how
these non-public sources are related to the latest public USBSER.SYS
from IBM.

> But it doesn't seem to be publicly available on Hobbes yet, so is it
> still in private evaluation phase?

I don't know if this driver will ever make it to Hobbes at all. Every
time I put something up there some people seem to take this as an
invitation to steal my time by swamping me with questions about all
kinds of PC related problems.

My fixes and additions to USBSER are in the hands of the original
developers.

CIao,
   Dani
0
Daniela
11/4/2004 5:05:50 PM
In article <cmdnhc$npo$1@news1.nefonline.de>
	   dani%ngrt.de@nospam.de "Daniela Engert" writes:

> I don't know if this driver will ever make it to Hobbes at all. Every
> time I put something up there some people seem to take this as an
> invitation to steal my time by swamping me with questions about all
> kinds of PC related problems.

Maybe you should include a firmly worded note in a README to the
effect that you do not discuss general problems?  That would not
prevent you _choosing_ to talk with people... on your own terms.
(I realise some people are incredibly stupid; and some will take
offence even when you have been doing them a kindness by writing
this software; but those you are entitled to ignore, IMHO.)

Or you could offer to charge them for your time.  At school, when
transistor radios with teensy push-in earphones were very much in
fashion, I got a reputation as someone who could and would repair
earphones and their leads.  Some folk began to abuse my goodwill.
Then I began to make a small charge.  It was amazing how rapidly
people began to solve their own problems.
--
Andrew Stephenson

0
ames
11/4/2004 5:29:24 PM
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 Daniela Engert wrote:

> I don't know if this driver will ever make it to Hobbes at all. Every
> time I put something up there some people seem to take this as an
> invitation to steal my time by swamping me with questions about all
> kinds of PC related problems.

Remove the e-mail address and set up an 0900 line for a voice computer with
a very, very deep structure.  Of course, the words should be recorded by a
non-native speaker with a horrible accent. >;->

   /Olli/
--
WarpUpdates International/Deutschland
http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/

0
oliver
11/4/2004 9:18:11 PM
Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:05:50 +0100 received comm from
Daniela Engert <dani%ngrt.de@nospam.de> on channel comp.os.os2.misc:

:
: I don't know if this driver will ever make it to Hobbes at all. Every
: time I put something up there some people seem to take this as an
: invitation to steal my time by swamping me with questions about all
: kinds of PC related problems.

Upload them with a brief description on how to install and use them. Explain
that you don't have any time or resources to give any support. Give references
to Usenet or other user supported forums who might help users help themsleves
solving problems. Don't publish your email address or any other type of contact
details. I think people will understand how "use at your own risk, no support or
guarantee given" software works, and that they will be happy that they at least
can be able to enjoy your work.

Best regards,

martin t�rnsten

--
martinot@gmail.com
0

question about sys.exc_type and sys.exc_value
Here is an exercise from Learning Python that I wrote myself: import sys import traceback class MyError: pass def oops(): raise MyError() def safe(func, *args): try: apply(func, args) except: traceback.print_exc() print 'Got', sys.exc_type, sys.exc_value safe(oops) And here is the output: Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:/Python24/oops.py", line 11, in safe apply(func, args) File "C:/Python24/oops.py", line 7, in oops raise MyError() MyError: <__main__.MyError instance at 0x00B475A8> Go...

com.sys & vcom.sys
It's been a while since I last installed 1.1 and when I did it yesterday I forgot to de-select Ray Gwinn's com drivers. After installation I removed the entries from config.sys and un-remmed com.sys and vcom.sys but they won't load. I checked and it's in c:/os2/boot. What's the cure? :-) Wayne -- While the e-mail address in this post is genuine it is only used as a spamtrap. Any mail sent to me at this address will be considered to be spam and deleted without being read. Wayne wrote: > It's been a while since I last installed 1.1 and when I > did it yesterday I...

What are files Z80.SYS, Z80CCP.SYS and PRMTVPVT.SYS for?
Had a good Christmas this weekend? I came across diskettes with "Mailmerge 3.0 and Calcstar version 1.45 for CP/M 8080", that seem to be for a Dec Rainbow machine. Besides a Mailmerge overlay and the Calcstar files, some CP/M and some CP/M-86 files, there are three files on the diskettes that I never have heard of before: Z80.SYS, Z80CCP.SYS and PRMTVPVT.SYS. There are no ASCII texts in PRMTVPVT.SYS. The only ASCII text in Z80.SYS (at the end of the file) is "EI SPHLDI XCHGPCHLXTHLRET HLT CMC STC CMA DAA RAR RAL RRC RLC NOP CPI ORI XRI ANI SBI IN SUI OUT ACI ADI CALLJMP LDA...

Default sys$manager:sylogin.com question
Hello, Sorry for asking so beginner of a question here, but it's one which I consider somewhat important. Whenever I log in to an account, be it over Telnet or at the "console" of my machine, there is something in the default sylogin.com that comes with a new OpenVMS 7.3 install which causes the terminal screen to be cleared, except for the prompt. I find this very annoying, because I don't get a chance to see things like my last interactive login time, etc. While I doubt anyone would actually be able to break my account, it's still good to know. Not to mention if I ha...

How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr?
How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr? On 11/13/2014 7:51 PM, satishmlmlml@gmail.com wrote: in 4 different threads > How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr? > fileno() in not supported. Is it only in 3.1? What is the workaround? > io.UnsupportedOperation: fileno > How to give a file descriptor number to this function? How to get a file descriptor number? Satish, you are acting like the variety of troll called a Help Vampire. One of the symptoms is hogging the newsgroup by starting multiple threads a da...

How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr? #2
How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr? On 11/13/14 7:54 PM, satishmlmlml@gmail.com wrote: > How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr? > You don't seem to be reading any of the responses you are getting. At the very least, you don't seem to be understanding them, or engaging with the authors. You are misbehaving on this list. Everyone else: I recommend that people stop responding. Satish seems unlikely to improve. -- Ned Batchelder, http://nedbatchelder.com ...

COM.SYS
Hi folks, I try to use an internal PCI modem (devolo with connexant chipset). My COM.SYS (Level 10.078) refuses to recognize it. I tried it with /F Option and with adding the PCI IDs to PCIDEV.TBL (at the end). No sucess. Any idea how to fix that? Regards Uwe Uwe Pilgram wrote: > Hi folks, > > I try to use an internal PCI modem (devolo with connexant chipset). My > COM.SYS (Level 10.078) refuses to recognize it. I tried it with /F > Option and with adding the PCI IDs to PCIDEV.TBL (at the end). No sucess. > > Any idea how to fix that? > >...

Problems with USBSER.SYS
Hello/2, I've run in big trouble with the new IBM USBSER.SYS USB-to-SERIAL converter driver. The COM port used by USBSER.SYS appears to be a drive unit. *** Hardware: USB 1.1/2.0 1 COM port on the motherboard (COM1) 1 USB ISDN terminal adapter (COM3 via USBCOM.SYS) 1 D-Link DU-CS/DSB-S25 USB to Serial Converter Cable (COM2 via USBSER.SYS) with 1 Creatix 14.400 Fax Modem (compatible with OS/2) There are no problems with Windows - the hardware is ok. According to the driver's README.TXT, the D-Link converter cable is supported by USBSER.SYS. USB Ressource Manager ...

com.sys without com port
Hi Folks, My Thinkpad R40e does not have a serial port, so com.sys is remmed out in config.sys. I'm trying to use a PCMCIA modem (a Nokia Cardphone, as it happens) which gets recognized OK, but which I can't talk to as I have no com ports. And if I unrem com.sys, it gives an error at boot and fails to load. Is there a solution? Ian -- Sir: Ian Johnston wrote: > Hi Folks, > > My Thinkpad R40e does not have a serial port, so com.sys is remmed > out in config.sys. I'm trying to use a PCMCIA modem (a Nokia > Cardphone, as it happens) which g...

usbser.sys
does anyone have usbserial working with a usb <-> serial convertor, if so, where did you find the convertor at & what's the make/model? I can't seem to locate anything mentioned in the usbserial's readme, so I tried 3 different convertors from Micro Center, but none of them worked with it. (I'm glad Micro Center has a no hassle return policy :) regards, - dink On Sat, 08 May 2004 05:02:48 -0400 (EDT), dinkmeister wrote: >does anyone have usbserial working with a usb <-> serial convertor, if so, >where did you find the convertor at & what's ...

sys
computer common oriented http://www.freewebs.com/buildem/ http://amigos.com/go/g904313-pmem ...

sys
Is it OT here to talk about IPC and pipes? Or are all aspects of kernle programming ok here? Bill Bill Cunningham <nospam@nspam.com> wrote: > Is it OT here to talk about IPC and pipes? Or are all aspects of kernle > programming ok here? If you want to discuss how IPC and pipes are implemented in the kernel it's completely ok. But if you're interested in how to use IPC or pipes from a userland program then posting to e.g. comp.unix.programmer or comp.os.linux.development.apps will probably make a lot more sense. R...

sys
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

SYSMAN: No SYS$SCRATCH/SYS$LOGIN ?
$ mc sysman SYSMAN> set env/node=velo %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment: Individual nodes: VELO Username JFMEZEI will be used on nonlocal nodes SYSMAN> do show log sys$scratch %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node VELO %SHOW-S-NOTRAN, no translation for logical name SYS$SCRATCH SYSMAN> There is also no SYS$LOGIN defined. (VAX 7,3 and Alpha 8.3) What is the reason behind the lack of those logicals ? JF Mezei wrote: > $ mc sysman > SYSMAN> set env/node=velo > %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment: > Individual nodes:...

Web resources about - com.sys and usbser.sys question - comp.os.os2.misc

Having trouble getting enough MBE questions right?
If you are practicing and getting less than 2 out of 3 MBE questions correct, you need help to make sure you are ready to pass the bar exam. ...

Volkswagen delays earnings report citing “open questions” on emissions scandal
On Friday, Volkswagen Group said it would be delaying its annual earnings meeting , originally scheduled for March 10, due to "remaining open ...

Is Danny Kanell worse than Mark May? It’s not an unreasonable question
ESPN commentator Danny Kanell is known for trolling SEC fans and the SEC at large. It's a role the former Florida State quarterback clearly relishes. ...

Econ 210a Memo Question: Slavery and Serfdom
**Week 4 Memo Assignment: Slavery and Serfdom:** In his *Wealth of Nations*, Adam Smith confidently asserted that slavery was uneconomic–that ...

Theranos has a week to respond to the government agency that's asking questions about its business
Theranos has reportedly been given a one-week extension to respond to a government agency that pointed out problems with one of its labs. Bloomberg ...

Joel & Ethan Coen whitesplained diversity: ‘The question you’re asking is idiotic’
I unapologetically love the Coen Brothers’ films, but after reading this Daily Beast interview with them… I might not love them as people. The ...

David Brooks: A Question Of Moral Relativism
Six days a week, Mr. David Brooks makes a very good living hauling water for the worst political regime in modern America history. He does it ...

Goodell answers Curran’s question on NFL’s PSI reports
Skip to main content Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com Header links TV Listings Channel Finder Apps Follow Bar RSN login or register Login Search ...

Hillary Dodges Question About Releasing Goldman Sachs Speech Transcripts
Hillary Dodges Question About Releasing Goldman Sachs Speech Transcripts