f



Disk in use when not in use

After a hang and hardware reset, I could not boot into eCS 1.14, getting a 
display that I've never seen before: a VGA display with a white background and
a box that said the program pointed to by SET RUNWORKPLACE= could not be 
loaded.  C-A-D worked to shut this display down, but reboot produced the same 
outcome.

This was corrected by rebooting and using an archived desktop.  To make sure 
everything is OK I next booted into my maintenance partition and tried to run 
CDKDSK C: /F.  It wouldn't run because the disk was "in use or locked by 
another process".  Except the disk is not in use.  I suppose this false 
condition was created by the strange and new crash, but for all I know it has 
existed for months, since I haven't run CHKDSK from the other partition in 
ages.

I can't figure out how to correct this condition.  I have downloaded DFSee but
don't know how to use it.  DFSee reports:

 Pid06=   WARNING : More than ONE partition is marked active!

but it's not obvious to me what to do about it.  I did use DFSee to set the C:
drive dirty and force a CHKDSK at boot, but that didn't correct the two disks 
active condition.

Is there a DFSee expert who can give me some advice?

-- 
John Varela
(Trade "OLD" lamps for "NEW" for email.)
I apologize for munging the address but the spam is too much.
0
John
12/14/2003 8:05:17 PM
comp.os.os2.misc 2779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

12 Replies
1469 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 54

Sir:

John Varela wrote:
> After a hang and hardware reset, I could not boot into eCS 1.14, getting a 
> display that I've never seen before: a VGA display with a white background and
> a box that said the program pointed to by SET RUNWORKPLACE= could not be 
> loaded.  C-A-D worked to shut this display down, but reboot produced the same 
> outcome.
> 
> This was corrected by rebooting and using an archived desktop.  To make sure 
> everything is OK I next booted into my maintenance partition and tried to run 
> CDKDSK C: /F.  It wouldn't run because the disk was "in use or locked by 
> another process".  Except the disk is not in use.  I suppose this false 
> condition was created by the strange and new crash, but for all I know it has 
> existed for months, since I haven't run CHKDSK from the other partition in 
> ages.
> 
> I can't figure out how to correct this condition.  I have downloaded DFSee but
> don't know how to use it.  DFSee reports:
> 
>  Pid06=   WARNING : More than ONE partition is marked active!
> 
> but it's not obvious to me what to do about it.  I did use DFSee to set the C:
> drive dirty and force a CHKDSK at boot, but that didn't correct the two disks 
> active condition.
> 
> Is there a DFSee expert who can give me some advice?
> 
Since you can boot to eCS, use LVM to fix this.  Mark (select) Boot 
Manager start-able.   The condition of two volumes marked active is not 
fatal.  It usually means that you have more than two primary partitions 
and the boot software failed to marked the other(s) than the currently 
booting system's partition, inactive.
-- 
Bill
Thanks a Million!

0
William
12/14/2003 10:27:15 PM
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:27:15 UTC, "William L. Hartzell" 
<wlhartzell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Since you can boot to eCS, use LVM to fix this.  Mark (select) Boot 
> Manager start-able.   The condition of two volumes marked active is not 
> fatal.  It usually means that you have more than two primary partitions 
> and the boot software failed to marked the other(s) than the currently 
> booting system's partition, inactive.
 
??  Boot Manager is already startable.  

-- 
John Varela
(Trade "OLD" lamps for "NEW" for email.)
I apologize for munging the address but the spam is too much.
0
John
12/15/2003 12:59:11 AM
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:05:17 UTC, "John Varela" 
<OLDlamps@earthlink.net> wrote:

> After a hang and hardware reset, I could not boot into eCS 1.14, getting a 
> display that I've never seen before: a VGA display with a white background and
> a box that said the program pointed to by SET RUNWORKPLACE= could not be 
> loaded.  C-A-D worked to shut this display down, but reboot produced the same 
> outcome.

boot to commandline and run
chkdsk C: /F:2 and when that fails
chkdsk c: /F:3

With /F:3 you would have to wait for LOOOONNNNNGGGG time to get it 
done. Maybe you've got in the seldom case that HPFS is crashed, that 
means you may loose lot of files - up to the whole system.
 
/F:3 is only possible when you had spent the time for a format /L when
you had formatted the drive the last time. At least it will be the 
last chance to come back to a bootable system. Mostenly it will work. 
In now 10 years I found myself 3 times in that case - one of them ends
up with an unusable system drive - the other times the system cames up
again without no lost file.

When the WPS comes up again it is time to use checkini /C /T until it 
does NOT try to reboot the WPS.

-- 
Tschau/Bye
Herbert

To buy eComStation 1.1 in germany visit http://www.ecomstation.de

0
The
12/16/2003 5:50:36 PM
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:50:36 UTC, "The Real OS/2 Guy" <os2guy@pc-rosenau.de> 
wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:05:17 UTC, "John Varela" 
> <OLDlamps@earthlink.net> wrote:
> 
> > After a hang and hardware reset, I could not boot into eCS 1.14, getting a 
> > display that I've never seen before: a VGA display with a white background and
> > a box that said the program pointed to by SET RUNWORKPLACE= could not be 
> > loaded.  C-A-D worked to shut this display down, but reboot produced the same 
> > outcome.
> 
> boot to commandline and run
> chkdsk C: /F:2 and when that fails
> chkdsk c: /F:3
> 
> With /F:3 you would have to wait for LOOOONNNNNGGGG time to get it 
> done. Maybe you've got in the seldom case that HPFS is crashed, that 
> means you may loose lot of files - up to the whole system.
>  
> /F:3 is only possible when you had spent the time for a format /L when
> you had formatted the drive the last time. At least it will be the 
> last chance to come back to a bootable system. Mostenly it will work.

I have a bootable system.  I am booted into it at this instant.  As I said in 
the original posting, I corrected the boot problem by Alt-F1 and using a 
backup desktop.

As I also said, I ran CHKDSK at boot time by using DFSee to set the file 
system dirty.  I believe the default is /F:2.

> In now 10 years I found myself 3 times in that case - one of them ends
> up with an unusable system drive - the other times the system cames up
> again without no lost file.
> 
> When the WPS comes up again it is time to use checkini /C /T until it 
> does NOT try to reboot the WPS.

How is that going to correct the false indication that the partition is in 
use?

-- 
John Varela
(Trade "OLD" lamps for "NEW" for email.)
I apologize for munging the address but the spam is too much.
0
John
12/16/2003 7:59:14 PM
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:59:14 UTC, "John Varela" <OLDlamps@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> How is that going to correct the false indication that the partition is in 
> use?

Moving on....let's have a bit more information. Can you post the 
CONFIG.SYS you are using?

0
Bob
12/16/2003 8:42:52 PM
The Real OS/2 Guy wrote:

> With /F:3 you would have to wait for LOOOONNNNNGGGG time to get it 
> done. Maybe you've got in the seldom case that HPFS is crashed, that 
> means you may loose lot of files - up to the whole system.
>  
> /F:3 is only possible when you had spent the time for a format /L when
> you had formatted the drive the last time. At least it will be the 
> last chance to come back to a bootable system. Mostenly it will work. 
> In now 10 years I found myself 3 times in that case - one of them ends
> up with an unusable system drive - the other times the system cames up
> again without no lost file.
> 


I would be careful with chkdsk /f:3. I did that once and now
have an 18 gig drive with something like 40,000 FOUND000x files
in one big swamp.

Someday i hope to get the mess straightened out, but for now
it's really really ugly.

0
hamei
12/17/2003 12:13:09 AM
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:59:14 UTC, "John Varela" 
<OLDlamps@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:50:36 UTC, "The Real OS/2 Guy" <os2guy@pc-rosenau.de> 
> wrote:
> 
> > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:05:17 UTC, "John Varela" 
> > <OLDlamps@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > 
> > > After a hang and hardware reset, I could not boot into eCS 1.14, getting a 
> > > display that I've never seen before: a VGA display with a white background and
> > > a box that said the program pointed to by SET RUNWORKPLACE= could not be 
> > > loaded.  C-A-D worked to shut this display down, but reboot produced the same 
> > > outcome.
> > 
> > boot to commandline and run
> > chkdsk C: /F:2 and when that fails
> > chkdsk c: /F:3
> > 
> > With /F:3 you would have to wait for LOOOONNNNNGGGG time to get it 
> > done. Maybe you've got in the seldom case that HPFS is crashed, that 
> > means you may loose lot of files - up to the whole system.
> >  
> > /F:3 is only possible when you had spent the time for a format /L when
> > you had formatted the drive the last time. At least it will be the 
> > last chance to come back to a bootable system. Mostenly it will work.
> 
> I have a bootable system.  I am booted into it at this instant.

Wont help when this system has the WPS active.

  As I said in 
> the original posting, I corrected the boot problem by Alt-F1 and using a 
> backup desktop.
> 
> As I also said, I ran CHKDSK at boot time by using DFSee to set the file 
> system dirty.  I believe the default is /F:2.
> 
> > In now 10 years I found myself 3 times in that case - one of them ends
> > up with an unusable system drive - the other times the system cames up
> > again without no lost file.
> > 
> > When the WPS comes up again it is time to use checkini /C /T until it 
> > does NOT try to reboot the WPS.
> 
> How is that going to correct the false indication that the partition is in 
> use?
> 
It is NOT a false indicative as the WPS catches all drives so chkdsk 
can't get access to the raw device as it need to do its work. So 
booting to pure commandline is the only chance to get raw access to 
the drive.

You should try chkdsk /F:3 - even as chkdsk /F:2 had removed the busy 
bit. I found myself on a mashine that was blocked by an hardware error
and chkdsk /F:2 (the default was clearing the bit - but the system was
still unbootable. Only the /F:3 flag was able to repair the drive 
completely.
Use boot from diskettes or CD or from a WPS free partiton for that. 
Simply change runworkplace to point to cmd.exe instead of PMSHELL will
do the trick for the maintenance partiton. You may change it back 
after next boot, when chkdsk has done its work.

-- 
Tschau/Bye
Herbert

To buy eComStation 1.1 in germany visit http://www.ecomstation.de

0
The
12/17/2003 12:23:35 AM
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:13:09 UTC, hamei <hamei-not@pacbell.net> wrote:

> The Real OS/2 Guy wrote:
> 
> > With /F:3 you would have to wait for LOOOONNNNNGGGG time to get it 
> > done. Maybe you've got in the seldom case that HPFS is crashed, that 
> > means you may loose lot of files - up to the whole system.
> >  
> > /F:3 is only possible when you had spent the time for a format /L when
> > you had formatted the drive the last time. At least it will be the 
> > last chance to come back to a bootable system. Mostenly it will work. 
> > In now 10 years I found myself 3 times in that case - one of them ends
> > up with an unusable system drive - the other times the system cames up
> > again without no lost file.
> > 
> 
> 
> I would be careful with chkdsk /f:3. I did that once and now
> have an 18 gig drive with something like 40,000 FOUND000x files
> in one big swamp.
> 
> Someday i hope to get the mess straightened out, but for now
> it's really really ugly.

I have never had 40 000 FOUND000x files, but the few that have materialized I've
simply deleted, using XDEL set to overwrite them as well.  Never seen any 
problems from this procedure.  Never seen the files again either :)

-- 
Best regards
Sten Solberg

.... Also sprach Zarathustra: "Have a Good Day!"

0
Sten
12/17/2003 7:25:18 AM
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:13:09 UTC, hamei <hamei-not@pacbell.net> wrote:

> The Real OS/2 Guy wrote:
> 
> > With /F:3 you would have to wait for LOOOONNNNNGGGG time to get it 
> > done. Maybe you've got in the seldom case that HPFS is crashed, that 
> > means you may loose lot of files - up to the whole system.
> >  
> > /F:3 is only possible when you had spent the time for a format /L when
> > you had formatted the drive the last time. At least it will be the 
> > last chance to come back to a bootable system. Mostenly it will work. 
> > In now 10 years I found myself 3 times in that case - one of them ends
> > up with an unusable system drive - the other times the system cames up
> > again without no lost file.
> > 
> 
> 
> I would be careful with chkdsk /f:3. I did that once and now
> have an 18 gig drive with something like 40,000 FOUND000x files
> in one big swamp.
> 
> Someday i hope to get the mess straightened out, but for now
> it's really really ugly.
> 
Whenever that occures you must ber happy, because you was just before 
to loose anything on the drive.

In one time I'd loosed the whole ibmlan folder with the standard 
chkdsk /F:2. On ohter hand often enough only chkdsk /F:3 was able to 
give me anything back. without a single file in foundx.

Whenever you has the choice between format and chkdsk what would be 
the better solution?

-- 
Tschau/Bye
Herbert

To buy eComStation 1.1 in germany visit http://www.ecomstation.de

0
The
12/17/2003 9:52:05 AM
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:42:52 UTC, "Bob Eager" <rde42@spamcop.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:59:14 UTC, "John Varela" <OLDlamps@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
> 
> > How is that going to correct the false indication that the partition is in 
> > use?
> 
> Moving on....let's have a bit more information. Can you post the 
> CONFIG.SYS you are using?
 
Well, it's all moot now.  After a disastrous crash every one of my partitions 
has been removed, re-created, and restored from backup.  Luckily I had just 
made a set of full backups.  In fact, the crash occurred as I was in the act 
of making a second set in preparation for running eCSMT.

Today I replaced the IDE drive, so I hope my mysterious crashes will cease.

Moral:  make frequent backups.

-- 
John Varela
(Trade "OLD" lamps for "NEW" for email.)
I apologize for munging the address but the spam is too much.
0
John
12/19/2003 3:21:17 AM
"John Varela" <OLDlamps@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<ZKRm3c4Ddl7U-pn2-c0t4V9r5qd95@dialup-171.75.32.249.Dial1.Washington1.Level3.net>...
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:42:52 UTC, "Bob Eager" <rde42@spamcop.net> wrote:
> 
> > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:59:14 UTC, "John Varela" <OLDlamps@earthlink.net>
> > wrote:
> > 
> > > How is that going to correct the false indication that the partition is in 
> > > use?
> > 
> > Moving on....let's have a bit more information. Can you post the 
> > CONFIG.SYS you are using?
>  
> Well, it's all moot now.  After a disastrous crash every one of my partitions 
> has been removed, re-created, and restored from backup.  Luckily I had just 
> made a set of full backups.  In fact, the crash occurred as I was in the act 
> of making a second set in preparation for running eCSMT.
> 
> Today I replaced the IDE drive, so I hope my mysterious crashes will cease.
> 
> Moral:  make frequent backups.

Varela, it's nice to see a familiar name in this foreign place.  I
hear there's some troll trouble at this board.  Where's he at?
0
de781
12/22/2003 2:45:16 AM
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:45:16 UTC, de781@aol.com (DE781) wrote:

> I hear there's some troll trouble at this board.  Where's he at?

ONE, major problem, and a couple of others. See:

http://tmfaq.servehttp.com/

for more information...
-- 
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net
(Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)

0
Doug
12/22/2003 7:35:58 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

when to use == and when to use is
I know this question has been answered: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6570371/when-to-use-and-when-to-use-is , but I still have doubts. Consider the following code: class A: def __init__(self, a): self._a = a #def __eq__(self, other): # return self._a != other._a obj_0 = A(0) obj_1 = A(1) obj_2 = A(2) obj = obj_1 if obj == obj_0: print(0) elif obj == obj_1: print(1) elif obj == obj_2: print(2) if obj is obj_0: print(0) elif obj is obj_1: print(1) elif obj is obj_2: print(2) Both if statements wo...

Using using
I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract a constant from col. 2. I tried, in a test script, plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 but gnuplot complains Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjusting to [0.99:1.01] although the data file contains 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 What am I doing wrong? I read this in the manual: plot 'file' using 1:($2+$3) "%1f,%1f,%1f" which led me to use the above. I assume the format stuff is not needed. If I am doing this wrong, how do I modify a given column to be plotted arithmetically? -- Dieter...

when to use ; and when to use ,
Any statements like printf("abc"); scanf("%d",&x); a=20; can be replaced by printf("abc"), scanf("%d",&x), a=20; So when should we use ; and when sould we use , In article <1181971596.941107.318810@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Ravi <ra.ravi.rav@gmail.com> wrote: >Any statements like > printf("abc"); > scanf("%d",&x); > a=20; >can be replaced by > printf("abc"), scanf("%d",&x), a=20; > >So when should we use ; and when sould we use , Use ; when you want ...

Using where; Using index vs Using where
Hello, What are the difference between the following statements, which one is better? mysql> desc SELECT COUNT(*) as `cnt` FROM vote WHERE `ip` = INET_ATON('127.0.0.1') AND (`addtime` > NOW() - INTERVAL 1 DAY) ; +----+-------------+-------+-------+---------------+--------------- +---------+------+------+--------------------------+ | id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len | ref | rows | Extra | +----+-------------+-------+-------+---------------+--------------- +---------+------+------+--------------------------+ | 1 | S...

Just When I Was Getting Used To Using Using
I have a class Packet that contains a nested class Payload and an enumeration: struct Packet { struct Payload { } ; } ; I had gotten into the habit of writing: using Packet::Payload; so I could write: Payload::..blah.. instead of Packet::Payload::..blah I have done this... (gulp) in many, many .cpp files. I tried out the new Visual C++ Express compiler from you-know-who on my source code and got 1000's of error messages: ...\Packet\Packet.cpp(13) : error C2885: 'Packet::Payload': not a valid using-declaration at non-class scope What does the standard say? Is th...

Used Cisco Used Switch Used Cisco Router Used Cisco Switch At LinkWaves Corp
Hello Guy. I just bought a cisco 7206VXR from http://www.linkwaves.com. Quick shipping fedex 3 days saver for $85. I think they are great Quick Ship Great Services Excelent Products For Quick Quote. Please visit here http://www.linkwaves.com/requestquote.asp For Quick Search. Please visit here http://www.linkwaves.com/productsearch.asp Their Contact is LinkWaves Corp 29980 Technology Drive, Suite 6 Murrieta, CA 92563 Tel: +1-909-725-9143 Fax: =1-707-221-3762 http://www.linkwaves.com sales(at)linkwaves.com ...

file in use, could not use
Hi. I have two databases that are both linked to the same backend table. I can't use them both at the same time, yet other users can have both functioning simultaneously on their machines. Opening them is not the problem. ..but the error message appears when I run any queries linked to the table. It works in one database, but not the other. All users are running XP sp2 with Access 2003. The error message is the same regardless if anyone is using the backend or not. I believe it is machine specific...MY machine. I haven't a clue. Any ideas? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmon...

When to use postgreSQL , when to use other
We are using Oracle and mySQL for web-applications I'm planing to use postgresql also. Maybe we will also use Cach`e . Does anyone using an other database-engines than postgresql also? What are your decision criterias to choose which db-engine for a certain project? e.g. less/more than x records in database , less/more than x select/DML-Staements per second reliablity, backup, replication... ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's ...

Why index used/not used
Hello. Explain. I have table "traf_raw" contains field "sip_id" (integer). This field indexed with "CREATE INDEX traf_raw_sip ON traf_raw (sip_id)". Question. When I try to get different rows postgres use index with one "sip_id" and not use index with another "sip_id". I don't understand why it is happen, but with more complex queries Seq Scan is so slowly. Example. With "sip_id='19'" there many rows in table, with "sip_id='29'" there is no rows. cnupm=> ANALYZE traf_raw; ANALYZE cnupm=> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM traf_raw WHERE sip_id='19' LIMIT 10 OFFSET 100000; QUERY PLAN --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Limit (cost=5230.95..5230.99 rows=1 width=56) (actual time=2505.89..2505.89 rows=0 loops=1) -> Seq Scan on traf_raw (cost=0.00..5230.99 rows=10808 width=56) (actual time=0.04..2490.02 rows=10977 loops=1) Filter: (sip_id = 19) Total runtime: 2505.95 msec (4 rows) cnupm=> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM traf_raw WHERE sip_id='29' LIMIT 10 OFFSET 100000; QUERY PLAN --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Use and usefulness of the as syntax
First, could you confirm the following syntax import foo as f equivalent to import foo f = foo Now, I was wondering about the usefulness in everyday programming of the as syntax within an import statement. Here are some instances retrieved from real code of such a syntax import numpy as np import math as _math import pickle as pickle -- In the first case, the syntax is motivated by brevity need, isn't it ? -- The second case seems to be rather widespread and causes math attribute to be private but I don't figure out why this matters. -- In the last case, I can see no poin...

ActGen to use or not to use?
Hello, I was doing a project with Actel FPGA ex128 with Libero Platinum Eval version software. in my project I had to use some counters,Multiplexers etc. which I wrote myself. Now as I was a beginner I didnt use the ActGen. Is it worth the effort to write the code partly by using ActGen macros for counter and muxes and etc. Thanks Naimesh Naimesh wrote: > I was doing a project with Actel FPGA ex128 with Libero Platinum Eval > version software. > > in my project I had to use some counters,Multiplexers etc. which I > wrote myself. Good work. Writing your own code makes y...

To use or not to use CLOS
I must admit that I'm completely a newbie in Lisp, as I've been writing C and (some) C++ for years. I don't like the way in wich C++ resolves object programming, although sometimes I'm forced to use object oriented programming in C, in the same way as GTK+ does. Now I emprend a (personal) project and would like to start it from the very beginning in Lisp (my first project in this language). My simple question, and I want to ear answers from all you experts, is: do you recomend me CLOS or perhaps consider that using simple structure and Lisp facilities would be more than enough?...

Defined but not used? But I am using it!
I can't figure this out. So in a templated class of mine I have the following. namespace menutree { static bool debug = false; } And in various parts of the code I have statements like. if (menutree::debug) { std::cout << "here" << std::endl; Everything compiles but I get the warning "warning: `bool menutree::debug' defined but not used" Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks! Travis wrote: > I can't figure this out. So in a templated class of mine I have the > following. > > namespace menutree > { > static boo...

To use locking or not to use it
Hello, I am builiding a multi-threaded application which has the following components : 1 writer thread - it gets information from the network and updates a table of numeric data, then informs the 2 reader threads that there is new information, so they should start running 2 reader threads that are awakened by the writer thread, use the writer thread's table to retrieve updated numerical data to do their calculations. Since the writer updates the table and the readers read from it, I want to use a reader/writer locking mechanism. However, I thought about the following...

Use OS X Disk Utility "Restore" function to do whole disk backup?
Does anybody use the OS X Disk Utility "Restore" function to do a whole disk backup? When I try using it to backup my main hard disk to a LaCie Firewire hard drive, I get the error: "Restore Failure, An error(-34) occurred while copying" (On OS X 10.3.8). File info shows I own the firewire drive, it's writeable, and it's more than big enough. Ben in DC PublicMailbox at benslade dot.com (append 030516 to the subj to bypass spam filters) Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Albert Einstein In article <%reRd.25568$uc.13432@trnddc...

Mac OS X use versus Windows XP use...
Reading one of George Graves rants about how hard it is to use Windows inspired me to make this post. We constantly see remarks about how hard it is to use Windows, and how easy it is to use Macs. I'd like to go on record as saying I don't use any OS. I use applications. I play games. Anything "easy" or "hard" about that is a product of the application. An OS can't make a good application out of a bad one. The OS is just the layer that schedules and alots resources, and handles interprocess communications. Any modern OS has drag and drop, and a c...

If you used to use Windows or now used Windows less because of FreeBSD why?
For a Graduation Project, I am comparing Open-Source software to Propetarity Software. So if you used to use Windows or now use Windows less, why do you use FreeBSD more now? Yes, I know I asked a question like this before, but forgot to ask this one. ;). I continue to use windows on the desktop because of certain apps and games that only run on windows. Making the switch to another platorm is not a priority. I am quite good with windows security and other platforms offer no functionality that windows lacks, in my instance. I recently began utilizing freebsd for some of my services, along with my windows server. I use mysql and postfix on freebsd. I have lately been experimenting with linux, but the lack of sata support is inhibiting progress. I am patiently awaiting the next release of debian, my favorite distro so far. As a libertarian, I am quite fond of open-source ideals. A few points on linux and freebsd: The freebsd packages collection, I feel, is lacking. I really think some improvements need to be addressed to accomodate users that prefer binary implementation. For example, smb client support is broken in the binary implementations of xfce4 and gnome2. Freebsd-update is a huge leap forward, as far as updates are concerned. The freebsd installer is far superior to any other I have ever used. I can install freebsd and apply binary security updates in less than ten minutes on a p2-300. Debian installation is a c...

Finding disk space used by OS
I need to identify how much of our disk space is used by the V5R2 OS on our system and it's components. This would include microcode, OS, LPP's etc Hoping there is a quick way to get the size of all this ? --- This outgoing email was certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.730 / Virus Database: 485 - Release Date: 28/07/2004 Subtract the size of all your data libraries (i.e. production libs, ERP software libs) from the utilized disk space and that should give you a pretty good number. "Ashley" <sorry@no_email.c...

why disk Avail < (disk Size
df -H: Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr where is ~15 G ? -santtu On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:40:19 +0200 Santtu Lintervo wrote: > Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on > /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr > where is ~15 G ? tunefs(8) is the key. Note the options -m and -o. Regards Chris Le 30-01-2006, Santtu Lintervo <invalid@invalid.invalid> a écrit : > df -H: > > Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on > /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr > > where is ~15 G ? > > -santtu Used for metadata (inodes, superblocks and so on) i guess. Francis. On 2006-01-30, Francis Gudin <fgudin@nerim.net> wrote: > Le 30-01-2006, Santtu Lintervo <invalid@invalid.invalid> a écrit : >> df -H: >> >> Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on >> /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr >> >> where is ~15 G ? >> >> -santtu > > Used for metadata (inodes, superblocks and so on) i guess. 15 gigabytes? probably not... most of it's likely reserved space. On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:40:19 +0200 Santtu Lintervo <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote: > df -H: > > Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on > /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2....

multicpu bzip2 using os.system or queue using python script
I want to quickly bzip2 compress several hundred gigabytes of data using my 8 core , 16 GB ram workstation. Currently I am using a simple python script to compress a whole directory tree using bzip2 and a system call coupled to an os.walk call. I see that the bzip2 only uses a single cpu while the other cpus remain relatively idle. I am a newbie in queue and threaded processes . But I am wondering how I can implement this such that I can have four bzip2 running threads (actually I guess os.system threads ), each using probably their own cpu , that deplete files from a queue as th...

Using netfront xen driver in BSD based OS without using mbuf
Hello, I am working on an OS which is freebsd based, we do not use the regular mbuf for packet processing but some customized packet buffers. They work fine with are regular physical NIC drivers. Now we want to port our OS on XEN using PV NIC. For this we need to use netfront driver. But after seeing the regular netfront driver implementation for BSD it looks like we need to use mbuf. Could some one please help us in using the netfront driver without using mbuf. Instead of it we want to use are customized packet buffer. Thanks in advance. ...

Using a DLL that uses a second library which use Java Runtime Environment
Hello, I am having problems when I try to import a DLL in Matlab that I created myself with the Visual C++ 2010 express. My library uses a second library that I don't want Matlab to worry about (since it uses complex data structures and don't know how it has been created). My library exports the function prototypes with C support (I use -> extern "C" __declspec(dllexport)). I made a simple console application in C++ that uses my library and it works correctly. Matlab loads my library without any problem. The problem comes when I call a function that defines a variable sp...

Can MAIL using Mac OS 10.4 tiger be used to view newsgroups such as this one?
How do configure my MAIL application so I can view this newsgroup and other newsgroups? Or do I need to continue to use Thunderbird?? Please respond to : SHartz40@yahoo.com Thanks! In article <4782c6f4$0$5105$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Stephen Hartz <SHartz40@yahoo.com> wrote: > How do configure my MAIL application so I can view this newsgroup and > other newsgroups? Or do I need to continue to use Thunderbird?? No, but there are other news clients besides Thunderbird. Google is your friend. > Please respond to : SHartz40@yahoo.com Sorry. -- Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter. JR In article <4782c6f4$0$5105$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Stephen Hartz <SHartz40@yahoo.com> wrote: > How do configure my MAIL application so I can view this newsgroup and > other newsgroups? Or do I need to continue to use Thunderbird?? Why do people always want to use the wrong tools for the job? Mr. Strat <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote: > Why do people always want to use the wrong tools for the job? Based on their experience, likely. The Windows default e-mail application also does Usenet. It's not too surprising that folks who have only ever used Windows think that it would be the same in the non-Windows world. -- K. Lang may your lum reek. On T...

Used Cisco Used Cisco Router Used Cisco Switch At LinkWaves Corp
Hello Guys, Please let me know if you need Cisco. Will take offers WS-X6704-10GE $8390 (CFC) WS-X6724-SFP $7300 ( CFC) PA-MC-8TE1+ $5295 PA-MC-STM-1SMI $12900 4GE-SFP-LC $21995 WS-F6700-DFC3BXL $7400 SA-VAM, $1199/each WS-C3750G-24PS-S, $3599/each 6E3-SMB, $5500/each 8FE-FX-SC-B, $899/each PA-A3-E3, $799/each PA-MC-8T1 $1500/each OSM-8OC3-POS-MM $3500/each OSM-2OC12-POS-MM $3499/each OSM-2OC12-POS-SI $5599/each WS-X6502-10GE $1995/each PA-A3-8E1-IMA $1550/each PA-A3-8T1-IMA $1440/each PA-MCX-8TE1-M $6200/each PA-MC-8TE1+ $5500/each PA-MC-STM-1SMI $12900/each NM-8T1-IMA $750/each NM-1GE $2200/...

Web resources about - Disk in use when not in use - comp.os.os2.misc

Disk storage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Disk storage or disc storage is a general category of storage mechanisms, in which data are digitally recorded by various electronic, magnetic, ...

Seagate Unveils 10 TB Helium-Filled Hard Disk Drive for Cloud Datacenters
Seagate Technology on Wednesday introduced its first helium-filled hard disk drive. The novelty is designed for cloud datacenters that require ...

Latvian NanoOptoMetrics Is Taking On Hard Disk Drive Industry
Any technology product or equipment is required to undergo testing and quality assurance before shipping. So, did Apple give each of its 75 million ...

Files on nearly 200 floppy disks belonging to Star Trek creator recovered
(credit: churl ) According to a press release from DriveSavers data recovery, information on nearly 200 floppy disks that belonged to Star Trek ...

TreeMapFs is a versatile disk space analyzer
Storage space may be cheap these days, but wasting it is still a bad idea: the more you fill a drive, the longer file searches, antivirus scans ...

Foremay Ships Full Disk Encryption SED SSD with Crypto Erase
Concern about your cyber security and information leakage on computers and servers? Foremay gets you covered by its Full Disk Encryption SED ...

4K Blu-ray disks on sale early at Best Buy
Despite an official release date of March 2016 one of America's largest retailers has begun selling the next-generation disks early.

Health insurer loses 6 hard-disk drives with records of 95,000 customers
Health insurer Centene Corp. said six hard disk drives with personal health information on 95,000 of its customers have gone missing. "While ...

Micron Announces SSD Density Now Exceeds Hard Disk Drives - Digital Trends
A Micron 3D NAND breakthrough may lead to new, bigger SSDs with storage capacities that are much higher than traditional HDDs.

Deep Space 'Flying Saucer' is One Cool Planet-Forming Disk
Astronomers have found a protoplanetary disk surrounding a young star with a rather chilly secret.

Resources last updated: 3/2/2016 12:54:49 AM