How do I restore OS/2 backup on Windows XP, Windows 2000, or GNU/Linux?

I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version
unknown, but assume it's the most recent available).  I do not have
access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files
contained in the backup.  Is there a way to restore these files using
Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux?

Best,
Myles
0
mylesv
2/5/2008 7:19:01 PM
comp.os.os2.misc 2779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

mylesv@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version
> unknown, but assume it's the most recent available).  I do not have
> access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files
> contained in the backup.  Is there a way to restore these files using
> Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux?
>
> Best,
> Myles

Do a directory listing on the floppy's.  The file name(s) may give us a
clue as to the backup method used.  OS/2 floppies are usually  readable
under Windows.

--
Jack Wise
0
On 08/02/05 11:19, mylesv@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version
> unknown, but assume it's the most recent available).  I do not have
> access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files
> contained in the backup.  Is there a way to restore these files using
> Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux?
>
> Best,
> Myles

A backup of what?  Floppies are usually formatted FAT16 so Windows would
not have a problem reading the disk.  It might have a problem with the
file type though.
0
Brendan
2/5/2008 10:38:17 PM
<mylesv@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version
> unknown, but assume it's the most recent available).  I do not have
> access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files
> contained in the backup.  Is there a way to restore these files using
> Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux?

If you used backup software specific to OS/2 you will need to

If it was simply a case of copying the files to a floppy...
you will still need the appropriate software to use them

0
philo
2/6/2008 5:55:49 PM
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 17:55:49 UTC, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

> <mylesv@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version
> > unknown, but assume it's the most recent available).  I do not have
> > access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files
> > contained in the backup.  Is there a way to restore these files using
> > Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux?
> >

> If you used backup software specific to OS/2 you will need to
>
> If it was simply a case of copying the files to a floppy...
> you will still need the appropriate software to use them

Another unmentioned possibility is the command line backup utility
that came with OS/2 that was likely based on the DOS version.  If so,
it may give the original poster further places to look.

0
Kevin
2/7/2008 1:03:05 AM
"Kevin K" <kevink4@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 17:55:49 UTC, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>

> > <mylesv@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version
> > > unknown, but assume it's the most recent available).  I do not have
> > > access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files
> > > contained in the backup.  Is there a way to restore these files using
> > > Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux?
> > >

> > If you used backup software specific to OS/2 you will need to
> >
> > If it was simply a case of copying the files to a floppy...
> > you will still need the appropriate software to use them
> >

> Another unmentioned possibility is the command line backup utility
> that came with OS/2 that was likely based on the DOS version.  If so,
> it may give the original poster further places to look.

If that's the case...it may be a minor nightmare...
as every different version of dos had a different backup application...
but if one were to figure out which one it was and obtain it...
it *might* work in an NT command prompt (or it might not)

0
philo
2/7/2008 1:10:27 AM
On Feb 5, 4:42 pm, Jack Wise <jw...@hal-pc.org> wrote:
> myl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version
> Do a directory listing on the floppy's.  The file name(s) may give us a
> clue as to the backup method used.  OS/2 floppies are usually  readable
> under Windows.
>
> --
> Jack Wise

backup.001 and control.001 on one, backup.002 and control.002 on the
other.  These were created with the OS/2 command-line "backup"
utility.

Best,
Myles
0
mylesv
2/7/2008 10:31:37 PM
I think the OS/2 command line backup utility is native to OS2.  i may have
the same problem with some old backups I made when I used OS2 earlier.  I
have a virtual PC copy of Warp3 running under XP, but have not tried to
restore any of these backups to it.  Windows NT may have some OS2 command
programs in it.
Roy
"Kevin K" <kevink4@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 17:55:49 UTC, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>> <mylesv@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version
>> > unknown, but assume it's the most recent available).  I do not have
>> > access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files
>> > contained in the backup.  Is there a way to restore these files using
>> > Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux?
>> >

>> If you used backup software specific to OS/2 you will need to
>>
>> If it was simply a case of copying the files to a floppy...
>> you will still need the appropriate software to use them
>>

> Another unmentioned possibility is the command line backup utility
> that came with OS/2 that was likely based on the DOS version.  If so,
> it may give the original poster further places to look.

0
ROY
2/8/2008 4:19:58 AM
ROY BRAGG wrote:
> I think the OS/2 command line backup utility is native to OS2.  i may have
> the same problem with some old backups I made when I used OS2 earlier.  I
> have a virtual PC copy of Warp3 running under XP, but have not tried to
> restore any of these backups to it.  Windows NT may have some OS2 command
> programs in it.

Yes, it's an OS/2 utility so you'll have to recover the archives with
the OS/2 "Restore" utility.  You could use a virtual pc if you don't
have a working OS/2 installation.  I've sometimes found that backup and
restore went together as a matched pair and I couldn't use a restore
from a newer version of OS/2 to recover archives made with a 'backup'
from an older version but had to get the old version.

> Roy
> "Kevin K" <kevink4@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 17:55:49 UTC, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> <mylesv@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> If you used backup software specific to OS/2 you will need to
>>>
>>> If it was simply a case of copying the files to a floppy...
>>> you will still need the appropriate software to use them
>>>

>> Another unmentioned possibility is the command line backup utility
>> that came with OS/2 that was likely based on the DOS version.  If so,
>> it may give the original poster further places to look.

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and Sea Monkey 1.5a
mylesv@gmail.com wrote:

>backup.001 and control.001 on one, backup.002 and control.002 on the
>other.  These were created with the OS/2 command-line "backup"
>utility.

The Windows NT4 command-line programs BACKUP.EXE and RESTORE.EXE are
compatible with the OS/2 versions, except that they don't restore OS/2
extended attributes to a Windows system for obvious reasons. The data and
long filenames are transferred OK. I know the NT4 programs worked on Windows
2000, I haven't tried them on later versions.

--
Don Hills    (dmhills at attglobaldotnet)     Wellington, New Zealand
 preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
On Feb 9, 6:11 am, black.hole.4.s...@gmail.com (Don Hills) wrote:

> The Windows NT4 command-line programs BACKUP.EXE and RESTORE.EXE are
> compatible with the OS/2 versions, except that they don't restore OS/2
> extended attributes to a Windows system for obvious reasons. The data and
> long filenames are transferred OK. I know the NT4 programs worked on Windows
> 2000, I haven't tried them on later versions.

The good news is that the NT 4 backup and restore combo. run fine on
Windows XP Pro.  The bad news is that the restore command reports that
the "Source does not contain backup files".  I guess I'll have to find
an OS/2 installation.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Myles
0