f



installing without floppy drive?

Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive?  The 
laptop I'm using does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). 
What's the best way to go about the install?  Burn each floppy image 
onto cd? (strikes me as a bit wasteful, and does the installer complain 
when it asks for the warp cd and it is in the same drive as what it 
thinks is the floppy drive?) Has somebody put together a cd image that 
is bootable by chance?

I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another 
laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?

TIA,

Andrew

0
Andrew
9/28/2003 1:40:27 AM
comp.os.os2.misc 2779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

36 Replies
674 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 26

Andrew Holmes wrote:
> Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive?  The 
> laptop I'm using does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). 
> What's the best way to go about the install?  Burn each floppy image 
> onto cd? (strikes me as a bit wasteful, and does the installer complain 
> when it asks for the warp cd and it is in the same drive as what it 
> thinks is the floppy drive?) Has somebody put together a cd image that 
> is bootable by chance?
> 
> I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another 
> laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?
> 
> TIA,
> 
> Andrew

All you need is Warp 4.51 or Warp 4.52.  Both will install via
CDRom which comes with an OS/2 installation CD.

There are many ways to obtain v4.51 or v4.52.   Ask around in
the newsgroups if anyone is willing to provide you with it, place
a request in c.o.o.marketplace, check eBay, Amazon.com,
subscribe to Passport Advantage (For Passport Advantage Express
all one has to do is call IBM Direct; 1-888-426-2255), visit the
Passport Advantage web site (noted below)

"How to Enroll On-Line to become a Passport Advantage Customer
Information about IBM Passport Advantage and On-line Enrollment is
available at the following site. On-line enrollment makes it easier for
customers to enroll than ever before. It enables customers to quickly
and easily become a Passport Advantage customer and take advantage of
volume pricing. On-line Enrollment can be used by both new customers,
and also by current customers enrolling new sites under their existing
agreement. At the present time, On-line Enrollment is only available to
customer sites based in countries that do not require a signature for
enrollment. Customers in countries where signatures are required will be
guided to a .pdf file containing their applicable enrollment form in
their local language.

http://www.lotus.com/services/passport.nsf/WebDocs/Passport_Advantage_Home

As a part of the enrollment process, you will be issued a Passport
Advantage ID Number via e-mail within 3 to 5 days. An IBM Customer
Number will be e-mailed shortly thereafter. You only need your Passport
Advantage ID Number to order product. Your IBM Customer Number is used
to access Technical Support."

And last but not least, fire up XNap or LimeWire as there are several
OS/2 users offering Warp 4.51 and 4.52 for download.

AVOID eCS.  It is nothing but a bastardized and poor version of OS/2
that contains proprietary code that forces you to rely on two scam
artists (Serenity) for your future OS/2 needs.

Hope this helps.

Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
 From his Warp 4.53 ThinkPad T40 w/2GIG of RAM,
80GIG of Hard Disk and IBM's Web Browser for OS/2

0
The
9/28/2003 1:21:49 AM
Thus spake Andrew Holmes:
> I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another 
> laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?

Buy eCS or MCP? They both install from CD only. 


-- 
aaronl at consultant dot com 
For every expert, there is an equal and 
opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
0
Aaron
9/28/2003 3:39:50 AM
I'd rather not have to buy another copy of warp - it's more for 
nostalgia (sp?) than anything.  The copy I own was bought back in '96 
when I first heard about it!  The box is sitting on the shelf saying 
"install me! install me!"

I haven't used it in about two years, and would like to get back into 
it.  I've installed it on laptops before so I know about the missions 
getting pcmcia to work etc, but I basically want to play around with it 
again.

How much does warp cost these days?  I've read about PA etc but haven't 
seen any prices?

Thanks,
Andrew

Aaron Lawrence wrote:
> Thus spake Andrew Holmes:
> 
>>I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another 
>>laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?
> 
> 
> Buy eCS or MCP? They both install from CD only. 
> 
> 

0
Andrew
9/28/2003 5:42:24 AM
In <3f766162_2@news3.prserv.net>, on 09/27/03 
   at 09:21 PM, The OS/2 Guy <Os2guy@Warpcity.com> said:

>Andrew Holmes wrote:
>> Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive?  The 
>> laptop I'm using does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). 
>> What's the best way to go about the install?  Burn each floppy image 
>> onto cd? (strikes me as a bit wasteful, and does the installer complain 
>> when it asks for the warp cd and it is in the same drive as what it 
>> thinks is the floppy drive?) Has somebody put together a cd image that 
>> is bootable by chance?
>> 
>> I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another 
>> laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?
>> 
>> TIA,
>> 
>> Andrew

>All you need is Warp 4.51 or Warp 4.52.  Both will install via
>CDRom which comes with an OS/2 installation CD.

>There are many ways to obtain v4.51 or v4.52.   Ask around in
>the newsgroups if anyone is willing to provide you with it, place a request
>in c.o.o.marketplace, check eBay, Amazon.com,
>subscribe to Passport Advantage (For Passport Advantage Express
>all one has to do is call IBM Direct; 1-888-426-2255), visit the Passport
>Advantage web site (noted below)

>"How to Enroll On-Line to become a Passport Advantage Customer
>Information about IBM Passport Advantage and On-line Enrollment is available
>at the following site. On-line enrollment makes it easier for customers to
>enroll than ever before. It enables customers to quickly and easily become a
>Passport Advantage customer and take advantage of volume pricing. On-line
>Enrollment can be used by both new customers, and also by current customers
>enrolling new sites under their existing agreement. At the present time,
>On-line Enrollment is only available to customer sites based in countries
>that do not require a signature for enrollment. Customers in countries where
>signatures are required will be guided to a .pdf file containing their
>applicable enrollment form in their local language.

>http://www.lotus.com/services/passport.nsf/WebDocs/Passport_Advantage_Home

>As a part of the enrollment process, you will be issued a Passport Advantage
>ID Number via e-mail within 3 to 5 days. An IBM Customer Number will be
>e-mailed shortly thereafter. You only need your Passport Advantage ID Number
>to order product. Your IBM Customer Number is used to access Technical
>Support."

>And last but not least, fire up XNap or LimeWire as there are several OS/2
>users offering Warp 4.51 and 4.52 for download.

>AVOID eCS.  It is nothing but a bastardized and poor version of OS/2 that
>contains proprietary code that forces you to rely on two scam artists
>(Serenity) for your future OS/2 needs.

>Hope this helps.

>Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
>Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
> From his Warp 4.53 ThinkPad T40 w/2GIG of RAM,
>80GIG of Hard Disk and IBM's Web Browser for OS/2

 
You can also do a remote install with Warp 4 -- using a laplink cable, or
ethernet cards/adapters for both machines. 
0
letoured
9/28/2003 7:06:49 AM
In <3f7674d5$1@news.iconz.co.nz>, on 09/28/03 
   at 05:42 PM, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> said:

>I'd rather not have to buy another copy of warp - it's more for  nostalgia
>(sp?) than anything.  The copy I own was bought back in '96  when I first
>heard about it!  The box is sitting on the shelf saying  "install me! install
>me!"

>I haven't used it in about two years, and would like to get back into  it. 
>I've installed it on laptops before so I know about the missions  getting
>pcmcia to work etc, but I basically want to play around with it  again.

>How much does warp cost these days?  I've read about PA etc but haven't  seen
>any prices?

You can do a remote install with Warp 4 -- using a laplink cable, or ethernet
cards/adapters for both machines. You need OS2 installed on the master 
machine with a CD drive.  Look in the OS2 System folder for an icon that says
remote install.


>Thanks,
>Andrew

>Aaron Lawrence wrote:
>> Thus spake Andrew Holmes:
>> 
>>>I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another 
>>>laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?
>> 
>> 
>> Buy eCS or MCP? They both install from CD only. 
>> 
>> 

 

0
letoured
9/28/2003 7:09:27 AM
letoured@nospam.net wrote:

> You can do a remote install with Warp 4 -- using a laplink cable, or ethernet
> cards/adapters for both machines. You need OS2 installed on the master 
> machine with a CD drive.  Look in the OS2 System folder for an icon that says
> remote install.

I thought about that, but to start a remote install on the target 
machine you still have to boot off floppy, which is my original problem. 
  As far as I know remote install is only useful for machines without 
cdroms or when you're installing on multiple machines with the same setup.

I'm sure I once read (maybe about 6 months ago?) that someone had made a 
boot image with the latest ide drivers etc. for burning onto cdrom and 
had hosted it on their own site.  It was about a 17 meg download from 
memory.  I can't find any mention of it through google so I must be 
remembering wrong...

cheers,

Andrew

0
Andrew
9/28/2003 7:55:34 AM
In <3f76940a$1@news.iconz.co.nz>, on 09/28/03 
   at 07:55 PM, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> said:

>letoured@nospam.net wrote:

>> You can do a remote install with Warp 4 -- using a laplink cable, or ethernet
>> cards/adapters for both machines. You need OS2 installed on the master 
>> machine with a CD drive.  Look in the OS2 System folder for an icon that says
>> remote install.

>I thought about that, but to start a remote install on the target  machine
>you still have to boot off floppy, which is my original problem. 
>  As far as I know remote install is only useful for machines without  cdroms
>or when you're installing on multiple machines with the same setup.

I forgot. You're right. Remote install works if you have a floppy on the
target machine. -- I was under the impression you had a CD or a floppy, but
not both. 


>I'm sure I once read (maybe about 6 months ago?) that someone had made a 
>boot image with the latest ide drivers etc. for burning onto cdrom and  had
>hosted it on their own site.  It was about a 17 meg download from  memory.  I
>can't find any mention of it through google so I must be  remembering
>wrong...

You remember correctly. Look around www.osworld.com for more. -- I'll think of
other sources and get back to you.

 

>cheers,

>Andrew

 

0
letoured
9/28/2003 8:18:21 AM
letoured@nospam.net wrote:

> You remember correctly. Look around www.osworld.com for more. -- I'll think of
> other sources and get back to you.

Good, so I'm not imagining things!  Thanks for your help so far, I'll 
check out that site.

Andrew

0
Andrew
9/28/2003 9:47:45 AM
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 05:42:24 UTC, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> 
wrote:

> I'd rather not have to buy another copy of warp - it's more for 
> nostalgia (sp?) than anything.  The copy I own was bought back in '96 
> when I first heard about it!  The box is sitting on the shelf saying 
> "install me! install me!"
> 
> I haven't used it in about two years, and would like to get back into 
> it.  I've installed it on laptops before so I know about the missions 
> getting pcmcia to work etc, but I basically want to play around with it 
> again.
> 
> How much does warp cost these days?  I've read about PA etc but haven't 
> seen any prices?

Look at
http://www.ecomstation.com
You'll find there a list of dealers. One should be in your country.

As you own a license of WARP4 you shouuld pay less than $100.-- to get
the newest version that can install from CD/DVD drive without floppy, 
knowing about PCMCIA, USB, handles modern disks and comes with more 
features and tools you've ever seen from IBM.

-- 
Tschau/Bye
Herbert

eComStation 1.1 Deutsch wird jetzt ausgeliefert!
0
The
9/28/2003 2:42:49 PM
hubert.  Thank you for showing everyone you are an ecs spammer and shill --
its idiots like you who are the problem here -- not the IBM OS2 users. 






In <wmzsGguTDN6N-pn2-dlLLiVHjyJw@moon>, on 09/28/03 
   at 02:42 PM, "The Real OS/2 Guy" <os2guy@pc-rosenau.de> said:

>On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 05:42:24 UTC, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com>  wrote:

>> I'd rather not have to buy another copy of warp - it's more for 
>> nostalgia (sp?) than anything.  The copy I own was bought back in '96 
>> when I first heard about it!  The box is sitting on the shelf saying 
>> "install me! install me!"
>> 
>> I haven't used it in about two years, and would like to get back into 
>> it.  I've installed it on laptops before so I know about the missions 
>> getting pcmcia to work etc, but I basically want to play around with it 
>> again.
>> 
>> How much does warp cost these days?  I've read about PA etc but haven't 
>> seen any prices?

>Look at
>http://www.ecomstation.com
>You'll find there a list of dealers. One should be in your country.

>As you own a license of WARP4 you shouuld pay less than $100.-- to get the
>newest version that can install from CD/DVD drive without floppy,  knowing
>about PCMCIA, USB, handles modern disks and comes with more  features and
>tools you've ever seen from IBM.


 

0
letoured
9/28/2003 3:11:11 PM
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 03:39:50 UTC, Aaron Lawrence 
<aaronlNOT@HEREconsultant.com> Noted:

> > I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another
> > laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?

> Buy eCS or MCP? They both install from CD only.

If you copy a zipped installation via NIC you can do a makeini after you
expand it.

But you need something that can boot and write HPFS as you'll need to
edit config.sys also.

Possibly you can build a bootable CD.

Depends on the amount of time you have.  The easy way is to throw $$$
at the problem.	I'm just throwing ideas out there.

BTW, Dani posted a very elegant solution to migrating desktops.

Note, if the target drive is the same drive letter as the source this is
greatly simplified and no makeini is needed.

But a PC without a floppy drive???  I know they do it.  But it's
incredibly stupid from my POV.  Floppy boots have saved my bacon too many
times to count.

0
ron
9/28/2003 3:48:55 PM
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:40:27 UTC, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> 
wrote:

> Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive?  The 
> laptop I'm using does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). 
> What's the best way to go about the install?  Burn each floppy image 
> onto cd? (strikes me as a bit wasteful, and does the installer complain 
> when it asks for the warp cd and it is in the same drive as what it 
> thinks is the floppy drive?) Has somebody put together a cd image that 
> is bootable by chance?

If it's one of those laptops that can have a CDROM *or* a floppy drive, 
and you have/can borrow a floppy drive...then a remote install over the 
network would be possible (boot off floppy, put CDROM on network).

Or, make a CDROM with the contents of the network install diskettes and 
use that to boot.

Or, if it's MCP/eCS, simply boot from CDROM in the first place....

-- 
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

0
Bob
9/28/2003 4:17:58 PM
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:40:27 UTC, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive?  The 
> laptop I'm using does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). 
> What's the best way to go about the install?  Burn each floppy image 
> onto cd? (strikes me as a bit wasteful, and does the installer complain 
> when it asks for the warp cd and it is in the same drive as what it 
> thinks is the floppy drive?) Has somebody put together a cd image that 
> is bootable by chance?
> 
> I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another 
> laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?

Go here:    http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm

You can create a bootable install CD.  (I have not tried this personally,
but other people testify to its effectiveness.)

-- 
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
| Alex Taylor                      http://www.cs-club.org/~alex |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
0
Alex
9/28/2003 5:09:04 PM
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:48:55 UTC, ron@NOSPAMrsgibson.com (Ron Gibson) 
wrote:

> But a PC without a floppy drive???  I know they do it.  But it's
> incredibly stupid from my POV.  Floppy boots have saved my bacon too many
> times to count.

It can be a pain, sometimes, but a floppy drive really isn't required.
You DO, however, need some other, alternate boot media (other than the
hard disk), for those occasions when the hard disk boot fails, for 
some reason. 

I have been using BootAble:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan/

to build bootable CDs. You do require a CD burner, and an OS/2, or 
eCS, system, to be able to build the CD, but it is possible to boot 
the CD, all the way to the WPS, including basic network support. By 
doing some investigation, about what is on the warp4 boot diskettes 
(mostly in the CONFIG.SYS), it should be possible to figure ot how to 
make the install, of warp4, happen from that CD boot. Of course, you 
would need to copy the warp4 CD onto the BootAble CD, along with the 
boot system, which consists of a couple of diskette images, that, 
basically, replace the real diskettes.

You may also want to look at:

http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm

but I don't know much about that package, and I am not sure if you 
need to have arunning warp4 system, to be able to build the CD.

Of course, the easy way to install OS/2, is to get eComStation, and 
install that, using the CD boot method.

Hope this helps...
-- 
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net
(Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)

0
Doug
9/29/2003 5:47:53 AM
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 05:47:53 UTC, "Doug Bissett" 
<doug.bissett!SPAM@attglobal.net> Noted:

> > But a PC without a floppy drive???  I know they do it.  But it's
> > incredibly stupid from my POV.  Floppy boots have saved my bacon too many
> > times to count.

> It can be a pain, sometimes, but a floppy drive really isn't required.
> You DO, however, need some other, alternate boot media (other than the
> hard disk), for those occasions when the hard disk boot fails, for
> some reason.

Ah man right after I posted that I decided to do some windoze
maintenance.  It involved restoring a backup of the W98SE operating
system only partition with Drive Image.  Then I had to reclaim a
cylinder (7.8MB) of unused space with PMagic

Then the nightmare hit.  Partition Magic screwed up the MBR and Boot
Manager had the wrong drive letters allocated. That was failure #1.

Then I grabbed my Warp4 rescue set and they weren't readable.  Oh geez,
I'm really in trouble now as I'd forget to dupe the rescue set.

Turns out the floppy drive went bad at exactly the same time the MBR
problem happened. What are the odds of that? About zero.

Anyway I did manage to rescue it.  The floppy drive before I determined
it was out of alignment did manage to read a DOS rescue disk.  I used it
to nuke the MBR and then I went to the hard drive where I keep VPART
stashed.

Let me tell ya that is one fine product.  I use it mainly to boot Linux
above cylinder 1023 or to transfer control to Boot Manager.  Normally I
don't use it to boot any OS2 stuff but I added a Warp partition and
assigned it the proper drive letter. The I wrote that to the hard drive.

Then I was able to boot Warp and delete then re-add Boot Manager.

But the very next thing I did was get into my car and go get a new
floppy drive. That was too scary.

> I have been using BootAble:

> http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan/

Ever seen Knoppix (Linux)?  It is an extremely impressive work.  A
complete installation including KDE on a bootable CD that auto detects
your hardware.

My strategy is to use multiple redundancy for recovery options including
booting another OS that will read the target OS that is troubled.  Problem
is the only thing that can install Boot Manager is OS/2.

0
ron
9/29/2003 3:59:26 PM
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 05:47:53 UTC, "Doug Bissett" 
<doug.bissett!SPAM@attglobal.net> wrote:

> You may also want to look at:
> 
> http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm
> 
> but I don't know much about that package, and I am not sure if you 
> need to have arunning warp4 system, to be able to build the CD.

No you don't, it can be done from M$ as well.

-- 
Pozdrav iz Doboja, Republika Srpska. Posjetite: http://www.srpska.com
0
Sini
9/29/2003 5:26:23 PM
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:59:26 UTC, ron@NOSPAMrsgibson.com (Ron Gibson) 
wrote:

> Mon, 29 Sep 2003 05:47:53 UTC, "Doug Bissett" 
> <doug.bissett!SPAM@attglobal.net> Noted:
> 
> > > But a PC without a floppy drive???  I know they do it.  But it's
> > > incredibly stupid from my POV.  Floppy boots have saved my bacon too many
> > > times to count.
> 
> > It can be a pain, sometimes, but a floppy drive really isn't required.
> > You DO, however, need some other, alternate boot media (other than the
> > hard disk), for those occasions when the hard disk boot fails, for
> > some reason.
> 
> Ah man right after I posted that I decided to do some windoze
> maintenance.  It involved restoring a backup of the W98SE operating
> system only partition with Drive Image.  Then I had to reclaim a
> cylinder (7.8MB) of unused space with PMagic
> 
> Then the nightmare hit.  Partition Magic screwed up the MBR and Boot
> Manager had the wrong drive letters allocated. That was failure #1.

That is one of the reasons why I have never even thought about getting
Partition Magic. That makes screwing around with the hard disk, far 
too easy, and that, in turn, makes it far too easy to mess up the 
disk. To be safe, you really do need a 100% backup of everything on 
the disk, before you go messing with it. If you have gone that far, 
why not just nuke the disk, and start over with a clean disk, then 
restore your data (drive image backups don't work too well with that 
scenario, but a normal file backup does). That has the added 
advantage, that everything gets defraged (not that that is a real 
problem with HPFS, but it does get fragmented, in some cases). <- Just
my view...

> Then I grabbed my Warp4 rescue set and they weren't readable.  Oh geez,
> I'm really in trouble now as I'd forget to dupe the rescue set.
> 
> Turns out the floppy drive went bad at exactly the same time the MBR
> problem happened. What are the odds of that? About zero.
> 
> Anyway I did manage to rescue it.  The floppy drive before I determined
> it was out of alignment did manage to read a DOS rescue disk.  I used it
> to nuke the MBR and then I went to the hard drive where I keep VPART
> stashed.
> 
> Let me tell ya that is one fine product.  I use it mainly to boot Linux
> above cylinder 1023 or to transfer control to Boot Manager.  Normally I
> don't use it to boot any OS2 stuff but I added a Warp partition and
> assigned it the proper drive letter. The I wrote that to the hard drive.
> 
> Then I was able to boot Warp and delete then re-add Boot Manager.
> 
> But the very next thing I did was get into my car and go get a new
> floppy drive. That was too scary.

Hehe. Should have bought two of them, and a couple of boxes of 
diskettes <G>...

Neither disk drives, or diskettes, are built to the standards that 
they used to be, and you really can't depend on them for anything 
important anymore.

> > I have been using BootAble:
> 
> > http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan/
> 
> Ever seen Knoppix (Linux)?  It is an extremely impressive work.  A
> complete installation including KDE on a bootable CD that auto detects
> your hardware.

No, I don't use Linux...

> My strategy is to use multiple redundancy for recovery options including
> booting another OS that will read the target OS that is troubled.  Problem
> is the only thing that can install Boot Manager is OS/2.

Check out BootAble. It takes a bit of messing around, to understand 
how to set it up, but it is well worth the effort. Once you get a 
bootable CD (or, two, or three <G>), with OS/2 on it, you won't ever 
go back to diskettes for alternate boot support.

Hope this helps...
-- 
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net
(Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)

0
Doug
9/29/2003 7:53:19 PM
ron@NOSPAMrsgibson.com (Ron Gibson) wrote in message 

> But a PC without a floppy drive???  I know they do it.  But it's
> incredibly stupid from my POV.  Floppy boots have saved my bacon too many
> times to count.

I know, but I bought it second hand so I didn't have much choice!  The
laptop is a dell inspiron 3200, a PII 233 so is hardly cutting edge
(does have 144MB ram though, the maximun the system can handle!).  The
cdrom is removable and the floppy drive slots into the same bay. 
Don't know where I can get a drive for a machine this old without
spending big dollars, would rather buy a new copy of warp (I'm
actually getting quite tempted to try this route...) and simply boot
off cd.  I'm currently running linux on it with a minimal x-window
setup as kde etc. hog too much ram and don't run too snappy on a 233. 
Warp would be better in this case because it is very light weight, I
used to use it on my old compaq armada with only 64MB ram and it ran
nicely.

Thanks for the suggestions, might be easier to simply buy the latest
version and go from there, that would save me the headache of applying
fixpacks and finding drivers...

cheers,

Andrew
0
llamaqc
9/29/2003 10:02:16 PM
"Alex Taylor" <mail.me@reply.to.address> wrote in message news:<EzI08Q3LwTQm-pn2-Xb9M3bh1cqIe@ifurita>...
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:40:27 UTC, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> wrote:
> 
> > Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive?  The 
> > laptop I'm using does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). 
> > What's the best way to go about the install?  Burn each floppy image 
> > onto cd? (strikes me as a bit wasteful, and does the installer complain 
> > when it asks for the warp cd and it is in the same drive as what it 
> > thinks is the floppy drive?) Has somebody put together a cd image that 
> > is bootable by chance?
> > 
> > I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another 
> > laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?
> 
> Go here:    http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm
> 
> You can create a bootable install CD.  (I have not tried this personally,
> but other people testify to its effectiveness.)

Thanks for the link, this looks good, just what I was looking for (Now
I've just gotta install os/2 onto my desktop system and get the cd
burner working!).

cheers, 

Andrew
0
llamaqc
9/29/2003 10:06:22 PM
In <86714eda.0309291406.5cb5f7ba@posting.google.com>, on 09/29/03 
   at 03:06 PM, llamaqc@yahoo.com (Andrew Holmes) said:

>"Alex Taylor" <mail.me@reply.to.address> wrote in message
>news:<EzI08Q3LwTQm-pn2-Xb9M3bh1cqIe@ifurita>... > On Sun, 28 Sep 2003
>01:40:27 UTC, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> wrote: > 
>> > Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive?  The 
>> > laptop I'm using does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). 
>> > What's the best way to go about the install?  Burn each floppy image 
>> > onto cd? (strikes me as a bit wasteful, and does the installer complain 
>> > when it asks for the warp cd and it is in the same drive as what it 
>> > thinks is the floppy drive?) Has somebody put together a cd image that 
>> > is bootable by chance?
>> > 
>> > I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another 
>> > laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?
>> 
>> Go here:    http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm
>> 
>> You can create a bootable install CD.  (I have not tried this personally,
>> but other people testify to its effectiveness.)

>Thanks for the link, this looks good, just what I was looking for (Now I've
>just gotta install os/2 onto my desktop system and get the cd burner
>working!).

I can't find the instructions, but somewhere there is procedure that tells how
to copy the CD to a harddrive, and modify the install files -- so you can
install OS2 without booting off a floppy.  -- Maybe someone else knows where
to find the procedure. 

0
letoured
9/29/2003 10:38:00 PM
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:53:19 UTC, "Doug Bissett" 
<doug.bissett!SPAM@attglobal.net> Noted:

> > Turns out the floppy drive went bad at exactly the same time the MBR
> > problem happened. What are the odds of that? About zero.

> > Anyway I did manage to rescue it.  The floppy drive before I determined

> > But the very next thing I did was get into my car and go get a new
> > floppy drive. That was too scary.

> Hehe. Should have bought two of them, and a couple of boxes of
> diskettes <G>...

Listen one more $ in my PC and it has to get a job :-|

> Neither disk drives, or diskettes, are built to the standards that
> they used to be, and you really can't depend on them for anything
> important anymore.

Oh I know.  I remember clearly when a good 2X CDROM was $120 and a
floppy drive was $60.  Both those items had usable lives 2-4 times the
stuff we get now.

> Check out BootAble. It takes a bit of messing around, to understand
> how to set it up, but it is well worth the effort. Once you get a
> bootable CD (or, two, or three <G>), with OS/2 on it, you won't ever
> go back to diskettes for alternate boot support.

That item is on the learning list.  I'm still in quagmire with
networking and trying to figure how to configure a D-Link DI-604, damn
good router.  The Linksys router went on the shelf.  Now I can use Yahoo
IM Webcam.

I need to learn the proper way to open ports, configure the applications
for the ports and establish a strategy on long term maintenance.  The
last is item addresses how much pleasure time to waste on that item.

0
ron
9/29/2003 11:52:25 PM
In article <SKfw30zmCGmZ-pn2-TiM3Yh5kb2l3@x.y.z>
	   doug.bissett!SPAM@attglobal.net "Doug Bissett" writes:

> Neither disk drives, or diskettes, are built to the standards that
> they used to be, and you really can't depend on them for anything
> important anymore.

An example: I am still using the twin-floppy drive (3.5" + 5.25")
which I bought in 1989 and has been in every PC machine of mine.
But my more recent HDDs and CDDs fade from the scene like smoke.

(Now I have bragged about it, the floppy will probably go kaput.)
--
Andrew Stephenson

0
ames
9/30/2003 12:37:07 AM
In <86714eda.0309291406.5cb5f7ba@posting.google.com>, on 09/29/03 
   at 03:06 PM, llamaqc@yahoo.com (Andrew Holmes) said:

>"Alex Taylor" <mail.me@reply.to.address> wrote in message
>news:<EzI08Q3LwTQm-pn2-Xb9M3bh1cqIe@ifurita>... > On Sun, 28 Sep 2003
>01:40:27 UTC, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> wrote: > 
>> > Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive?  The 
>> > laptop I'm using does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). 
>> > What's the best way to go about the install?  Burn each floppy image 
>> > onto cd? (strikes me as a bit wasteful, and does the installer complain 
>> > when it asks for the warp cd and it is in the same drive as what it 
>> > thinks is the floppy drive?) Has somebody put together a cd image that 
>> > is bootable by chance?
>> > 
>> > I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another 
>> > laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?
>> 
>> Go here:    http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm
>> 
>> You can create a bootable install CD.  (I have not tried this personally,
>> but other people testify to its effectiveness.)

>Thanks for the link, this looks good, just what I was looking for (Now I've
>just gotta install os/2 onto my desktop system and get the cd burner
>working!).



For another way to install OS2 see:


http://service5.boulder.ibm.com/pspsdocs.nsf/8d77653332b629ab862563cc005ee09a/9e2009fe42b1cf1986256332007a79e1?OpenDocument



>cheers, 

>Andrew
 

0
letoured
10/1/2003 6:31:58 PM
> Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive?  The 
> laptop I'm using does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). 
> What's the best way to go about the install?  


IBM has a number of laptop computers (IBM Thinkpads) that do not include
a floppy drive. Their web site, "www.ibm.com" can direct you to the
directions about how to install OS/2 Warp 4.0 onto a laptop computer
that does not have a floppy drive. Sorry, I don't know the exact web
page that you need.

Some Thinkpads allow *either* a floppy drive *or* a CD-ROM Drive to be
installed (one at a time). Maybe these instructions will be of help to
you. 

Lars
0
My
10/2/2003 11:46:10 AM
In <3f763c20@news.iconz.co.nz>, on 09/28/2003
   at 01:40 PM, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> said:

>Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive?

From CD.

>does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). 

So why do you think you need a floppy?

>Has somebody put together a cd image that 
>is bootable by chance?

What release are you installing? It's been a long time since you
needed a floppy drive. 

-- 
     Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT

Unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action.  I reserve
the right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do
not reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

0
Shmuel
10/3/2003 1:01:46 AM
"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <spamtrap@library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote in message news:<3f7cca7a$20$fuzhry+tra$mr2ice@news.patriot.net>...
> In <3f763c20@news.iconz.co.nz>, on 09/28/2003
>    at 01:40 PM, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> said:
> 
> >Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive?
> 
> From CD.
> 
> >does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). 
> 
> So why do you think you need a floppy?
> 
> >Has somebody put together a cd image that 
> >is bootable by chance?
> 
> What release are you installing? It's been a long time since you
> needed a floppy drive.

The version I'm trying to install is warp 4, bought back in '96
(before booting off cd was common... some people didn't even own cd
rom drives back then!)

Ansrew
0
llamaqc
10/4/2003 9:12:44 AM
In <86714eda.0310040112.2127e88@posting.google.com>, on 10/04/2003
   at 02:12 AM, llamaqc@yahoo.com (Andrew Holmes) said:

>The version I'm trying to install is warp 4,

Does your machine support RIPL? It's certainly possible to install
Warp 4 over a network. 

At worst you should be able to boot from floppy bot install over the
network. But in your place I'd probably fork over the money to upgrade
and then boot from CD (assuming that your machine supports it.

-- 
     Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT

Unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action.  I reserve
the right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do
not reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

0
Shmuel
10/7/2003 6:00:28 PM
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
> In <86714eda.0310040112.2127e88@posting.google.com>, on 10/04/2003
>    at 02:12 AM, llamaqc@yahoo.com (Andrew Holmes) said:
> 
My laptop does boot from a cd - it's the only choice I have because I 
don't have a floppy drive!  For that same reason I can't do a network 
install (must first boot off floppy).  I'll try updcd (see msg above 
from Doug) but if that doesn't work I'll probably just buy a new copy of 
warp.  I'm pretty keen to install it again, haven't used it in about two 
years (running linux on my desktop).

cheers,

Andrew

> 
>>The version I'm trying to install is warp 4,
> 
> 
> Does your machine support RIPL? It's certainly possible to install
> Warp 4 over a network. 
> 
> At worst you should be able to boot from floppy bot install over the
> network. But in your place I'd probably fork over the money to upgrade
> and then boot from CD (assuming that your machine supports it.
> 

0
Andrew
10/8/2003 6:08:22 AM
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 06:08:22 UTC, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> 
wrote:

> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
> > In <86714eda.0310040112.2127e88@posting.google.com>, on 10/04/2003
> >    at 02:12 AM, llamaqc@yahoo.com (Andrew Holmes) said:
> > 
> My laptop does boot from a cd - it's the only choice I have because I 
> don't have a floppy drive!  For that same reason I can't do a network 
> install (must first boot off floppy).  I'll try updcd (see msg above 
> from Doug) but if that doesn't work I'll probably just buy a new copy of 
> warp.  I'm pretty keen to install it again, haven't used it in about two 
> years (running linux on my desktop).
> 
> cheers,
> 
> Andrew
> 
> > 
> >>The version I'm trying to install is warp 4,
> > 
> > 
> > Does your machine support RIPL? It's certainly possible to install
> > Warp 4 over a network. 
> > 
> > At worst you should be able to boot from floppy bot install over the
> > network. But in your place I'd probably fork over the money to upgrade
> > and then boot from CD (assuming that your machine supports it.

A new copy of warp4 won't be any different from what you have. It will
not come on a bootable CD. If you mean get a copy of MCP, yes, that 
will work, BUT, be sure to check out the eComStation package, before 
you make the purchase. eComStation comes with a number of extras, and 
it is, likely to be cheaper (and easier) to buy. See:

http://www.ecomstation.com/

where you will find more information, and links to places to get it.

Sorry, I no longer have any links to where you might be able to get 
MCP. I understand, that Software Choice is a thing of the past, and 
you now need a Passport Advantage subscription to get OS/2, from IBM. 
I am sure that somebody will explain, in excruciating detail, about 
why you should not get eComStation, but I'll also bet that they will 
have a problem telling you, exactly how to get MCP, which they seem to
think is different.

See:

http://tmfaq.servehttp.com/

for more information about that problem.

Hope this helps...
-- 
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net
(Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)

0
Doug
10/8/2003 4:53:06 PM
Sorry, you're right, I meant MCP when I said "new copy of warp".  And
I know what you mean about the flame wars between eCS and MCP users...

I live in New Zealand and there isn't a retail outlet for eCS here,
but I can get a copy of MCP from several places locally (all IBM
Global Partners or something like that) in a matter of days.  Just
have to see what the price difference is between the two products -
that most probably will be the deciding factor for me (being a
bludging student!).

cheers,
 
Andrew
 
> A new copy of warp4 won't be any different from what you have. It will
> not come on a bootable CD. If you mean get a copy of MCP, yes, that 
> will work, BUT, be sure to check out the eComStation package, before 
> you make the purchase. eComStation comes with a number of extras, and 
> it is, likely to be cheaper (and easier) to buy. See:
> 
> http://www.ecomstation.com/
> 
> where you will find more information, and links to places to get it.
> 
> Sorry, I no longer have any links to where you might be able to get 
> MCP. I understand, that Software Choice is a thing of the past, and 
> you now need a Passport Advantage subscription to get OS/2, from IBM. 
> I am sure that somebody will explain, in excruciating detail, about 
> why you should not get eComStation, but I'll also bet that they will 
> have a problem telling you, exactly how to get MCP, which they seem to
> think is different.
> 
> See:
> 
> http://tmfaq.servehttp.com/
> 
> for more information about that problem.
> 
> Hope this helps...
0
llamaqc
10/9/2003 11:05:37 PM
Sorry, you're right, I meant MCP when I said "new copy of warp".  And
I know what you mean about the flame wars between eCS and MCP users...

I live in New Zealand and there isn't a retail outlet for eCS here,
but I can get a copy of MCP from several places locally (all IBM
Global Partners or something like that) in a matter of days.  Just
have to see what the price difference is between the two products -
that most probably will be the deciding factor for me (being a
bludging student!).

cheers,
 
Andrew
 
> A new copy of warp4 won't be any different from what you have. It will
> not come on a bootable CD. If you mean get a copy of MCP, yes, that 
> will work, BUT, be sure to check out the eComStation package, before 
> you make the purchase. eComStation comes with a number of extras, and 
> it is, likely to be cheaper (and easier) to buy. See:
> 
> http://www.ecomstation.com/
> 
> where you will find more information, and links to places to get it.
> 
> Sorry, I no longer have any links to where you might be able to get 
> MCP. I understand, that Software Choice is a thing of the past, and 
> you now need a Passport Advantage subscription to get OS/2, from IBM. 
> I am sure that somebody will explain, in excruciating detail, about 
> why you should not get eComStation, but I'll also bet that they will 
> have a problem telling you, exactly how to get MCP, which they seem to
> think is different.
> 
> See:
> 
> http://tmfaq.servehttp.com/
> 
> for more information about that problem.
> 
> Hope this helps...
0
llamaqc
10/9/2003 11:05:37 PM
In <ZSNgb.7088$tv1.759412@news02.tsnz.net>, on 10/08/2003
   at 07:08 PM, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> said:

>My laptop does boot from a cd - it's the only choice I have because I
> don't have a floppy drive!

Sorry; I thought that you had one of those laptops where you could
remove the CD-ROM and replace it with a floppy drive.

>For that same reason I can't do a network 
>install (must first boot off floppy). 

No. If your BIOS supports RIPL then you can boot over the LAN.

>but if that doesn't work I'll probably just buy a new copy of  warp.

You'll need to either upgrade to 4.52 with IBM or to eCS with
Serenity; Warp 4.0 won't do it. IMHO you're better off with eCS.

-- 
     Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT

Unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action.  I reserve
the right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do
not reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

0
Shmuel
10/10/2003 1:03:59 AM
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 23:05:37 UTC, llamaqc@yahoo.com (Andrew Holmes) 
wrote:

> Sorry, you're right, I meant MCP when I said "new copy of warp".  And
> I know what you mean about the flame wars between eCS and MCP users...
>  
> I live in New Zealand and there isn't a retail outlet for eCS here,
> but I can get a copy of MCP from several places locally (all IBM
> Global Partners or something like that) in a matter of days.  Just
> have to see what the price difference is between the two products -
> that most probably will be the deciding factor for me (being a
> bludging student!).

Last time I checked, there is student pricing for eComStation.

Hope this helps...
-- 
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net
(Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)

0
Doug
10/10/2003 2:20:33 AM
Thus spake Andrew Holmes:
> I live in New Zealand and there isn't a retail outlet for eCS here,
No, but Orion solutions in Aus supplied me promptly and cost-
effectively.
-- 
aaronl at consultant dot com 
For every expert, there is an equal and 
opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
0
Aaron
10/10/2003 9:42:26 AM
Doug Bissett wrote:

> 
> Last time I checked, there is student pricing for eComStation.
> 
> Hope this helps...

Really?  I'd be very interested in this... are you able to confirm this? 
  I can't find any mention of a student price anywhere, but that would 
definitely swing it for me as to which version to purchase.

cheers,

Andrew

0
Andrew
10/12/2003 3:42:41 AM
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 03:42:41 UTC, Andrew Holmes <llama@mysystem.com> 
wrote:

> Doug Bissett wrote:
> 
> > 
> > Last time I checked, there is student pricing for eComStation.
> > 
> > Hope this helps...
> 
> Really?  I'd be very interested in this... are you able to confirm this? 
>   I can't find any mention of a student price anywhere, but that would 
> definitely swing it for me as to which version to purchase.
> 
> cheers,
> 
> Andrew

Send e-mail to the appropriate reseller. The contact information is 
referenced at:

http://www.ecomstation.com/

(which seems to be offline, at the moment).

Hope this helps...
-- 
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net
(Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)

0
Doug
10/14/2003 5:15:42 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How can I install DOS without a floppy drive?
Is there any way to install DOS on a modern PC or laptop with no floppy drive? I can burn CDs if necessary but I can't figure out if it's possible to get 5 installation disks on one CD to be recognized during an install or if a CD install for DOS is even possible. Any suggestions? If the PC supports PXE boot does anybody know if you can install DOS over PXE or how hard it is to setup a PXE server? What are my options for doing this I guess is my question. Kulin Remailer <remailer@reece.net.au> wrote: >Is there any way to install DOS on a modern PC or laptop w...

How to install linux from floppy, without a bootable cdrom drive?
Hi all, I recently acquired a Dell PowerEdge 2300. The bios in this particular machine will only allow me to boot from floppy or hard drive. The CDrom drive is not bootable. It's very frustrating. I tried the Dell forums first, but it seems there is no way to boot from this CDrom. I would like to install linux on it, but can't find any direction on how to do so from a FLOPPY disk. With the size of the linux kernel today, is it still possible to boot from floppy to install linux? I would prefer to install RedHat or Fedora, but any linux flavor would be fine for this mac...

Installing TP 5.5 without floppy drive?
I've been trying to get my wife interested in what I do. Her programming experience (several years old) was with ascal, so I wanted to install Turbo Pascal to get her started again. The only problem with this is that we've decided with our last two computers to not include a floppy drive, and until this it's never been an issue. Is there a way to install TP without a floppy drive? On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:18:59 GMT, Chris Dutton <rubyguru@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to install TP without a floppy drive? Have someone burn it to CD for you. ----...

Installing Impression Publisher under VRPC without a floppy drive
I have a copy of Impression Publisher on 7 floppy disks. I would like to install this on a macbook pro running VRPC-AdjustSA, however the macbook has no internal floppy drive. Can anyone offer a solution? Could you try copying the files onto a memory stick? Zip them to prevent corruption. -- Quilly Bookstore http://stores.lulu.com/quilljar <clive.bonsall@gmail.com> wrote in message news:0982cee9-116e-4cc0-bbe3-c2aa8336c98e@v17g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... >I have a copy of Impression Publisher on 7 floppy disks. I would like > to install this on a macbook pro running VRPC-Adjus...

Installing OS on a Mitsubishi Amity CN with no floppy drive
Does anybody know how to reformat the hard disk and reinstall the OS and drivers on a Mitsubishi Amity CN with no floppy drive? I'd like to reformat the disk and install Windows 98 and Debian. I have a CD-ROM, a parallel port zip drive, and access to drives on my desktop via the network, but no floppy drive. Thanks, Linda "lmarkov" <lmarkov@umcs.maine.edu> wrote in message news:857b7a8e.0306260952.19f415cf@posting.google.com... > Does anybody know how to reformat the hard disk and > reinstall the OS and drivers on a Mitsubishi Amity CN > with no floppy dri...

Help: instal any OS with only working 3.5 floppy drive...
have a p3 1 ghz toshiba (4 yrs old) on which the cd drive 'died' as I was reinstalling XP from recovery cd's. the floppy drive works, the hard drive is formatted. seems my only options are to install any OS (ideally 98SE) using the 3.5" drive or use the laptop as an expensive night light..... any ideas? is there a bootable version of linux that will work off a floppy? thanks. "Zax" <cacofonix@junkthisbit.mail.com> wrote: >have a p3 1 ghz toshiba (4 yrs old) on which the cd drive 'died' as I was >reinstalling XP from recovery cd's. the ...

Installing Suse on Penguine Altus 1300 without Floppy Drive
Hi, I wanted to install Suse Linux on a Penguine Altus 1300 computer on which RedHat Linux was installed previously. After unpartitioning the SCSI disk, I tried to install Suse but I was not successful as Yast couldn't detect the hard disk. I also tried to load SCSI modules, unfortunately however, the machine has no floppy drive for Yast to read module disks. Is that not possible to load driver modules direclty from the CD without module floppy disks? If not possible, what other method shall I use to install Suse on my machine? I appreciate your help in advance. Thank You. ...

Installing Windows XP using F6 in a PC without a floppy drive?
Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively in floppy format. Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy drive is. Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive with a USB interface? Will it work at the WinXP OS install (F6) level? Thx, -Ramon On 6/8/2010 6:57 PM, Ramon F Herrera wrote: > > Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively > in floppy format. > > Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy > drive is. > > Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive wi...

Installing Windows XP using F6 in a PC without a floppy drive?
Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively in floppy format. Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy drive is. Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive with a USB interface? Will it work at the WinXP OS install (F6) level? Thx, -Ramon On 6/8/2010 6:57 PM, Ramon F Herrera wrote: > > Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively > in floppy format. > > Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy > drive is. > > Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive wi...

Installed new hard drive, OS X installer doesn't see hard drive when selecting "destination".
....but it does see it when I open Disk Utility. The hard drive doesn't show on the OS X installation step, "Select a destination volume where you want to install the Mac OS X software". Does the drive need to be initialized or something? Some info I found said that a message would come up telling me if it had to be initialized but that didn't happen. I see no option to initialize with the OS X installer disc. It's odd that the installer won't tell me what it needs before I can install on the new drive. Thanks! Jim G4 PowerBook in article 4671E5AF.F1447950...

how to install windows on IBM thinkpad 240 without CD-ROM or floppy drive?
Hi, I was wondering whether I could pull the 2.5 drive out of an IBM thinkpad 240 laptop, use a laptop2IDE adapter to connect the drive to my desktop system and install a full XP (or 98 or 2000) OS on it, then install it back in the laptop? I realize that all the drivers will be messed up, but it seems that the only way to do it otherwise is to buy an IBM USB CD-ROM drive. I have an IOMEGA USB CD drive but that won't work. Are there cables that I could use to attach my desktop CD-ROM to the parallel port of the laptop to do the installation without pulling the drive? Any suggest...

install without bootable cdrom and without floppy
Hello everybody, I'd like to have a look into freeBSD. Got the CDs and an IBM Thinkpad755CD without a floppy drive, network and a bootable CDROM running linux. How can I start the installation process from the running linux system? I do NOT want to install freeBSD beside linux, I want to replace the current system... Thanks, arkascha On 2005-06-18, arkascha scribbled these curious markings: > Hello everybody, > I'd like to have a look into freeBSD. > Got the CDs and an IBM Thinkpad755CD without a floppy drive, network and a > bootable CDROM running linux. ...

Install HBA without floppy during OSR 6 install
Is there a way to install an HBA without the use of a floppy drive during OSR 6 install. May be with a burned CD or DVD. More systems are coming with out floppy. I am not all that thrilled to buy a USB floppy and will that even work. willjay wrote: > Is there a way to install an HBA without the use of a floppy drive > during OSR 6 install. May be with a burned CD or DVD. More systems > are coming with out floppy. I am not all that thrilled to buy a USB > floppy and will that even work. OpenServer 6 supports HBA installation at install time from floppy and from CD. If you h...

Installer won't install OS X on new hard drive
I have a new hard drive installed in my G4 Powerbook. I went through the erase process with Disk Utility (which I guess is the way to format or initialize a new HD) and partitioned it also. Now when I select a partition to install as a "destination", it says "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. You cannot start up your computer using this volume." Great, so I go to "Change startup disk" and it doesn't give the hard drive as an option because it doesn't have any OS on it! This is crazy. Thanks much for any help. Jim Salut Jim In article...

Web resources about - installing without floppy drive? - comp.os.os2.misc

Help:Installing Japanese character sets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This help page will help you install Japanese character sets so that your computer will display them properly on the internet in your web browser ...

Earn Free Facebook Credits For Installing Apps — Of Course, There’s A Catch
This looks pretty cool at first: Earn free Facebook Credits for installing applications on your iPhone or Android device. AppDog offers this ...

Installing solar panels - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Solar panels are lifted into place.

Installing Afterglow AX.1 Wired XBOX 360 Controller on Lion/Mountain Lion 10.7.3+ - YouTube
I finally managed to install an Afterglow AX.1 (Wired XBOX Controller) and make it work on Lion 10.7.3 with TattiBogle 0.08. This tutorial works ...

Fatal unit fire: Builder Ray Finianos reduced height of building to avoid installing fire sprinklers ...
The builder of&nbsp;a south-west Sydney unit block where a young woman plunged to her death during a ferocious fire told a certifier to reduce ...

Ballarat man accused of installing spy cameras in ex-wife's house
A man accused of concealing surveillance cameras in skirting boards at his ex-wife's home also allegedly attached a GPS tracker to her car, a ...

Iran installing new nuclear equipment
Sky News is Australia's leader in 24-hour news. Iran has begun installing next-generation equipment at one of its main nuclear plants, a new ...

Rentasaur Installing 'Spyware' On Rental Laptops
An Australian business that rents out computers is installing software that in the US has been used to spy on users, including taking webcam ...

Gillard defends installing Slipper
BBC News Gillard defends installing Slipper Sydney Morning Herald Prime Minister Julia Gillard has defended her decision to install Peter ...

CSIRO says installing solar panels on roofs of businesses could take pressure off the electricity grid ...
Installing more solar panels on the roofs of businesses would help Australia's energy grid cope with increased demand.

Resources last updated: 1/29/2016 2:39:54 PM