Newsreader Post headers

This is not a big deal, and I suppose it arises from different contributors
using different operating systems, then quoting others' posts, but I will be
interested in your comments.

My PC is set for Code Page 850.  Below are copy-pastes of several post headers
on the topic of five pound notes.

Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_New_=06=82=905_Polymer_Notes?=

Subject: =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IE5ldyAG4oCawpA1IFBvbHltZXIgTm90ZXM=?=

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re:=20New=20=C2=82=C2=905=20Polymer=20Notes?=

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_New_=02=02_5_Polymer_Notes?=

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_New_=c2=a35_Polymer_Notes?=

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_New_=c2=ae=c2=a95_Polymer_Notes?=

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_New_=e6=82=9f5_Polymer_Notes?=

Subject: Re: New 5 Polymer Notes

This is how I would key the header field:-

0
johnsuth
10/10/2016 8:21:11 PM
comp.os.os2.misc 2779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Marcel Mueller schrieb:
> If you want Unicode support you need a more recent news reader. E.g.
> Thunderbird.

Codepage handling is broken (on every platform) in the latest releases
of Thunderbird and Seamonkey. It is still possible to change the charset
manually for display of every message - but that is not very user
friendly. If you want to define a specific codepage for a newsgroup stay
with seamonkey 2.7.2. I think a lot of OS/2 users are using Tb 10 also.

--
Andreas

0
Andreas
10/11/2016 1:01:01 AM
On 10.10.16 22.21, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
> This is not a big deal, and I suppose it arises from different contributors
> using different operating systems, then quoting others' posts, but I will be
> interested in your comments.
>
> My PC is set for Code Page 850.  Below are copy-pastes of several post headers
> on the topic of five pound notes.

Your posting does not contain any code page specification. But it
contains non ASCII characters, so it will likely display differently on
different clients.

In fact I am in doubt whether IBM NR/2 supports code page conversions at
all. At least it will not support Unicode, since OS/2 did not support it
at the time it was developed.

> This is how I would key the header field:-
>
> Subject: Re: New �5 Polymer Notes

This is the encoding for code page 850. But your post is missing the
Content-Type header, so it will likely display incorrectly on clients
that use the commonly used Latin 1 encoding (ISO 8859-1).
In Latin 1 the character code 0x9c is undefined. However, the Windows
pendant 1252 assigns the ligature of o and e to this code.

If you manage to add a header like
to your posts they will show correctly on many clients as long as they
know about code page 850, which should be common for at least OS/2 and
Windows clients.
You will still not be able to read postings in other encodings
correctly, probably not even this one, because NR/2 AFAIK does not
understand the Content-Type header.

If you want Unicode support you need a more recent news reader. E.g.
Thunderbird.

Marcel
0
Marcel