f



www.ibm.com

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose.
Netscape 4.6 can't access www.ibm.com any more and Opera can only access
parts of it (OS/2 versions of course).
Regards
Peter
0
Peter
7/13/2004 5:43:27 PM
comp.os.os2.misc 2779 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

11 Replies
338 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 53

Peter J. Seymour wrote:
> Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose.
> Netscape 4.6 can't access www.ibm.com any more and Opera can only access
> parts of it (OS/2 versions of course).
> Regards
> Peter

Netscape v4.61 and even Netscape v2.02 can still access it here.  The 
page display is not as nice but all of the pictures, text, and links are 
still there.   Opera 5.12 for OS/2 still is able to render the ibm pages 
fairly well although not quite as well as Mozilla/IWB. Was there a 
particular page you were having problems with?

-- 
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and IBM Web Browser v2.0.3
0
djohnson3 (945)
7/13/2004 5:52:36 PM
Peter J. Seymour wrote:
> Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose.
> Netscape 4.6 can't access www.ibm.com any more and Opera can only access
> parts of it (OS/2 versions of course).
> Regards
> Peter

Works fine for me.  Netscape 4.61

Bob Plyler      IBM 3890/XP Engineering
(not an official IBM spokesperson)
0
Bob
7/13/2004 6:23:24 PM
Bob Plyler wrote:
> Peter J. Seymour wrote:
> 
>> Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose.
>> Netscape 4.6 can't access www.ibm.com any more and Opera can only access
>> parts of it (OS/2 versions of course).
>> Regards
>> Peter
> 
> 
> Works fine for me.  Netscape 4.61
> 
> Bob Plyler      IBM 3890/XP Engineering
> (not an official IBM spokesperson)
Hi All,

As an IBM Business Partner, I had to use Netscape 4.61 to fill in forms. 
I have registered a complaint that some browsers Mozilla 1.3 will not work.

It seems so I was told that they expect people to be using MS$ when they 
design the sites.

This mail not help but I have complained to them to wake up.

Regards,

David


-- 
Web site: https://www.gbenet.com 100 + links to OS/2 Sites + News IBM 
Business Partner - Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4; en-US; rv:1.3) 
Gecko/20030313 IBM OS/2 Warp 4.5 - FX Firewall Professional. This email 
and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely 
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If 
you have received this email in error please notify admin@gbenet.com or 
tel 07960 108665 Thank you.  Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: 
http://www.euro.cauce.org/

0
Postmaster
7/13/2004 7:27:50 PM

"Peter J. Seymour" wrote:
> 
> Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose.
> Netscape 4.6 can't access www.ibm.com any more and Opera can only access
> parts of it (OS/2 versions of course).
> Regards
> Peter
Well this is really puzzling. Yesterday Netscape wouldn't display the
home page of www.ibm.com (but was happy with various other sites) and
Opera wouldn't for instance show the Announcement Letters page. Today
both are fine.  In future I will have to be more cautious about
commenting.
The background is that I am finding that gradually more sites seem to be
becoming inaccessible to 4.6, although it is not clear whether this is
down to the sites themselves or an instability in 4.6.
Regards
Peter
0
Peter
7/14/2004 8:26:01 AM
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:26:01 UTC, "Peter J. Seymour" 
<pjs@pjsey.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> 
> 
> "Peter J. Seymour" wrote:
> > 
> > Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose.
> > Netscape 4.6 can't access www.ibm.com any more and Opera can only access
> > parts of it (OS/2 versions of course).
> > Regards
> > Peter
> Well this is really puzzling. Yesterday Netscape wouldn't display the
> home page of www.ibm.com (but was happy with various other sites) and
> Opera wouldn't for instance show the Announcement Letters page. Today
> both are fine.  In future I will have to be more cautious about
> commenting.
> The background is that I am finding that gradually more sites seem to be
> becoming inaccessible to 4.6, although it is not clear whether this is
> down to the sites themselves or an instability in 4.6.
> Regards
> Peter

4.6 is obsolete, and can't support new style web pages, which are 
becoming far more common. Looking back, WebEx had the same problem, 
years ago. Eventually, it became useless, although it still worked 
well, for those pages that it did understand. Netscape 4.6 has reached
that point. It still works well, for those pages that it can 
understand, but the web page authors have moved on, so you too need to
move on too. Unfortunately, that may also mean that you need new 
hardware, to be able to run the new programs.

Such id life, in the computer world...
-- 
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net
(Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)

0
Doug
7/14/2004 3:53:47 PM
Peter J. Seymour wrote:
 
> "Peter J. Seymour" wrote:
> >
> > Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose.
> > Netscape 4.6 can't access www.ibm.com any more and Opera can only access
> > parts of it (OS/2 versions of course).
> > Regards
> > Peter
> Well this is really puzzling. Yesterday Netscape wouldn't display the
> home page of www.ibm.com (but was happy with various other sites) and
> Opera wouldn't for instance show the Announcement Letters page. Today
> both are fine.  In future I will have to be more cautious about
> commenting.
> The background is that I am finding that gradually more sites seem to be
> becoming inaccessible to 4.6, although it is not clear whether this is
> down to the sites themselves or an instability in 4.6.
> Regards
> Peter

I just tried http://www.ibm.com with Netscape 2.2, Netscape 4.61 and
Mozilla 1.7.  All worked fine although Mozilla did the best and quickest
job.  I would suggest you get Mozilla 1.7 - it is much nicer (and
faster) than 1.4.

Ted


0
Ted
7/14/2004 6:15:44 PM
Doug Bissett wrote:
 
> that point. It still works well, for those pages that it can
> understand, but the web page authors have moved on, so you too need to
> move on too.

They have certainly moved on but not to better quality, particullarly
regarding the efficient transfer of information.

> Unfortunately, that may also mean that you need new
> hardware, to be able to run the new programs.

Just the other day I put Mozzilla 1.7 on my well aged ThinkPad 385XD
(OS/2 W4, 233PIImmx, 64MBRAM).  It works well and loads way faster than
1.4 did.

Ted


0
Ted
7/14/2004 6:15:46 PM
In <40F568E3.27F3@telus.net>, on 07/14/04 
   at 06:15 PM, Ted Edwards <Ted_Espamless@telus.net> said:

>Just the other day I put Mozzilla 1.7 on my well aged ThinkPad 385XD
>(OS/2 W4, 233PIImmx, 64MBRAM).  It works well and loads way faster than
>1.4 did.

Does it run JAVA Applets for you? I can run them with Moz 1.3 but since
then have not been able to run JAVA Applets with more recent versions.
Installed 1.7 and it runs everything but JAVA Applets. I installed the
same plugins as 1.3 which works, but can't get 1.7 to do it. For example,
try  http://www.redshift.com/~bstephan/amscands/amscands.htm and see if
the three JAVA Applet links at the bottom of the page load and work
properly.

Have the same problem with FireFox. Does not run the JAVA Applets. I
always have to revert to Moz 1.3 to get them to run. Don't know what the
problem is.

-- 
Please send all email in plain text format only, thanks.
Bob Stephan (change nospam to rstephan)
Visit me at http://www.bobstephan.net


0
nospam
7/14/2004 9:43:31 PM
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:43:31 UTC, nospam@redshift.com wrote:

> In <40F568E3.27F3@telus.net>, on 07/14/04 
>    at 06:15 PM, Ted Edwards <Ted_Espamless@telus.net> said:
> 
> >Just the other day I put Mozzilla 1.7 on my well aged ThinkPad 385XD
> >(OS/2 W4, 233PIImmx, 64MBRAM).  It works well and loads way faster than
> >1.4 did.
> 
> Does it run JAVA Applets for you? I can run them with Moz 1.3 but since
> then have not been able to run JAVA Applets with more recent versions.
> Installed 1.7 and it runs everything but JAVA Applets. I installed the
> same plugins as 1.3 which works, but can't get 1.7 to do it. For example,
> try  http://www.redshift.com/~bstephan/amscands/amscands.htm and see if
> the three JAVA Applet links at the bottom of the page load and work
> properly.
> 
> Have the same problem with FireFox. Does not run the JAVA Applets. I
> always have to revert to Moz 1.3 to get them to run. Don't know what the
> problem is.
> 

You need the IPLUGINW.DLL, to make plugins work with later versions of
Mozilla.

> http://download.innotek.de/javaos2/mozilla/ipluginw20040312.zip

It says it is for Mozilla 1.5, and 1.6, but it is also required for 
later versions, and it is for Firefox, and, possibly, the newest IBM 
Web Browser too..

You also need to follow the instructions to copy the proper JAVA 
plugins to the Mozila plugins directory, for the version of JAVA that 
you are running.

Hope this helps...
-- 
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net
(Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)

0
Doug
7/15/2004 3:34:14 PM
In <SKfw30zmCGmZ-pn2-Si2p7iYSMEKC@x.y.z>, on 07/15/04 
   at 03:34 PM, "Doug Bissett" <doug.bissett!SPAM@attglobal.net> said:

>You need the IPLUGINW.DLL, to make plugins work with later versions of
>Mozilla.

Thanks for the tip. I had that file, but I had neglected to rebuild
COMPREG.DAT. Now it works with Firebird and Moz 1.4, but for some unknown
reason Moz 1.7 refuses to rebuild COMPREG.DAT. No matter, as I prefer to
use Firebird or its ilk anyway.

-- 
Please send all email in plain text format only, thanks.
Bob Stephan (change nospam to rstephan)
Visit me at http://www.bobstephan.net


0
nospam
7/15/2004 8:04:42 PM
Hi Doug!

Doug Bissett wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:43:31 UTC, nospam@redshift.com wrote:
>
>  
>
>>In <40F568E3.27F3@telus.net>, on 07/14/04 
>>   at 06:15 PM, Ted Edwards <Ted_Espamless@telus.net> said:
>>
>>    
>>
>>>Just the other day I put Mozzilla 1.7 on my well aged ThinkPad 385XD
>>>(OS/2 W4, 233PIImmx, 64MBRAM).  It works well and loads way faster than
>>>1.4 did.
>>>      
>>>
>>Does it run JAVA Applets for you? I can run them with Moz 1.3 but since
>>then have not been able to run JAVA Applets with more recent versions.
>>Installed 1.7 and it runs everything but JAVA Applets. I installed the
>>same plugins as 1.3 which works, but can't get 1.7 to do it. For example,
>>    
>>
>You need the IPLUGINW.DLL, to make plugins work with later versions of
>Mozilla.
>
>  
>
>>http://download.innotek.de/javaos2/mozilla/ipluginw20040312.zip
>>    
>>
>
>It says it is for Mozilla 1.5, and 1.6, but it is also required for 
>later versions, and it is for Firefox, and, possibly, the newest IBM 
>Web Browser too..
>
>  
>
For fact, it is in the components directory of the IBM Web Browser 2.0.3 
as installed.  I found it interesting that even as emplaced in the 
Software Choice deal, the IBW still required a manual load of LIBC051 to 
install.  Would have thought that it would have been part of the 
distribution in the SWC offering itself.  But for whatever reason, after 
the extra-install run DLL was done, IWB 2.0.3 came right up and I didn't 
manually put the obove file in the components directory.  I don't think 
I put it there in any previous incantation of IBW either.


Or is this issue of manual user install of the LIBC051 a chosen deal in 
that I think there I've read there are conflicts between having LIBC051 
in the standard OS2\DLL path, as opposed to a separate directory?  That 
due to a conflict with something else with later development of MOZ down 
the pathway? 


The whole deal of adding in IPLUGINW.DLL (back?) manually, removing 
COMPREG.DLL and letting it be restored during MOZ initialization, and 
having the LIBC051 indormation in the standard OS2\DLL location works 
fine for me here to have the Java going in MOZ 1.7ga.


Thoughts?



-- 


--> Sleep well; OS2's still awake! ;)

Mike Luther
0
Mike
7/18/2004 1:54:28 PM
Reply: