Right or Left ?

A simple multimedia setup can be a display monitor with
speakers positioned on both sides.  Think of this equipment
as being on a 'stage' in a theater, and the user as being the
'audience' in that theater.

What is called the "left" speaker -- is it the one on the left
of the audience (as viewed by the audience), or the one on the
left of the stage (as viewed by an actor standing ON the stage,
facing out towards the audience) ?

mikus

0
mikus
6/29/2004 5:21:59 PM
comp.os.os2.multimedia 517 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Sir:

Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> A simple multimedia setup can be a display monitor with
> speakers positioned on both sides.  Think of this equipment
> as being on a 'stage' in a theater, and the user as being the
> 'audience' in that theater.
>
> What is called the "left" speaker -- is it the one on the left
> of the audience (as viewed by the audience), or the one on the
> left of the stage (as viewed by an actor standing ON the stage,
> facing out towards the audience) ?

Left is audience left (stage right).  You plug the left speakers into
the jack marked left and let the recording studio worry about stage left
or stage right.  In computers, though, one has to make sure all the
wires are plugged in correctly, and most home builders and factory
assemblers don't care.  Which is why digital transfer is important.  An
easy test is to turn off one side using a multimedia control like
balance and seeing which speaker talks and adjusting the wires according
if needed.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> What is called the "left" speaker -- is it the one on the left
> of the audience (as viewed by the audience), or the one on the
> left of the stage (as viewed by an actor standing ON the stage,
> facing out towards the audience) ?

It isn't that easy, cause assuming that left is always left may be
wrong, cause it is possible that left and right have somehow changed,
due to wrong internal cabling ....,

There are quite some good testing cd's around (for HiFi systems) if you
want to be absolutely sure.

Klaus Staedtler

0
Klaus
6/29/2004 6:46:48 PM
Hi Mikus

Your question begs the response "Where is your left ear?" ;-)

It should be on the same side as the left speaker when facing towards
the soundstage.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> A simple multimedia setup can be a display monitor with
> speakers positioned on both sides.  Think of this equipment
> as being on a 'stage' in a theater, and the user as being the
> 'audience' in that theater.
>
> What is called the "left" speaker -- is it the one on the left
> of the audience (as viewed by the audience), or the one on the
> left of the stage (as viewed by an actor standing ON the stage,
> facing out towards the audience) ?
>
> mikus

0
Peter
6/29/2004 7:32:45 PM
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:32:45 +0100 Peter Brown <losepeteSPAM-ME-NOT@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > What is called the "left" speaker -- is it the one on the left
> > of the audience (as viewed by the audience), or the one on the
> > left of the stage (as viewed by an actor standing ON the stage,
> > facing out towards the audience) ?
>
> Hi Mikus
> Your question begs the response "Where is your left ear?" ;-)
>
> It should be on the same side as the left speaker when facing towards
> the soundstage.

Thank you, Pete and Bill.  (I've got some speaker brochures
showing it the one way, and one showing it the other way.)

mikus

p.s.  But if it depends upon "where is my left ear?", does
      that mean that if I were to sit for long periods with
      my back to the soundstage, then I ought to interchange
      the 'left' and 'right' speakers while doing so ?   8-)

0
mikus
6/30/2004 8:18:39 PM
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:18:39 UTC, mikus@bga.com (Mikus Grinbergs) opined:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:32:45 +0100 Peter Brown <losepeteSPAM-ME-NOT@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > > What is called the "left" speaker -- is it the one on the left
> > > of the audience (as viewed by the audience), or the one on the
> > > left of the stage (as viewed by an actor standing ON the stage,
> > > facing out towards the audience) ?
> >
> > Hi Mikus
> > Your question begs the response "Where is your left ear?" ;-)
> >
> > It should be on the same side as the left speaker when facing towards
> > the soundstage.
>
> Thank you, Pete and Bill.  (I've got some speaker brochures
> showing it the one way, and one showing it the other way.)

That's hard to understand. Headsets are always labelled "Left" and "Right";
headsets and speakers are the same thing. If the Left headset connects to
the Left output, then that is what the Left speaker has to do too. It isn't
reasonable to expect that the Left headset should be connected to the Right
output, so the same is true for speakers.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

0
Stan
7/1/2004 11:16:49 AM
Stan Goodman wrote:
> It isn't reasonable to expect that the Left headset should be connected to the Right
> output, so the same is true for speakers.

For such reasons my amplifier has labeled the inputs/outputs as Channel
I and Channel II instaed of using irritating left/right (a British
product, naturally ;-)

Klaus Staedtler

0
Klaus
7/1/2004 11:30:28 AM
Servus Klaus!

 KS> From: Klaus Staedtler <gibtsnet@gibtsnet.net>

 KS> Stan Goodman wrote:
>> It isn't reasonable to expect that the Left headset should be
>> connected to the Right output, so the same is true for speakers.
>>

 KS> For such reasons my amplifier has labeled the inputs/outputs as Channel
 KS> I and Channel II instaed of using irritating left/right (a
 KS> British product, naturally ;-)

Also on swiss products :-)

Herzliche Gruesse, Harald

-+- Message created on Friday July, 02 2004 10:14:39 EDT
0
Harald
7/2/2004 7:14:05 AM
Harald Pollack wrote:

> Also on swiss products :-)

Maybe the've read too Ernst Jandl ;-)

Klaus Staedtler

0
Klaus
7/2/2004 12:07:57 PM
Servus Klaus!

KS> From: Klaus Staedtler <gibtsnet@gibtsnet.net>

KS> Harald Pollack wrote:
>>
>> Also on swiss products :-)
>>

KS> Maybe the've read too Ernst Jandl ;-)

He was my German teacher (really)....

Herzliche Gruesse, Harald

-+- Message created on Saturday July, 03 2004 07:44:59 mez
0
Harald
7/3/2004 4:43:58 AM
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:30:28 UTC, Klaus Staedtler <gibtsnet@gibtsnet.net>
opined:
> Stan Goodman wrote:
> > It isn't reasonable to expect that the Left headset should be connected to the Right
> > output, so the same is true for speakers.
> >

> For such reasons my amplifier has labeled the inputs/outputs as Channel
> I and Channel II instaed of using irritating left/right (a British
> product, naturally ;-)

Naturally; this leaves it up to the user to flip a coin to decide what to
connect to which speaker, and makes the question moot.

Actually, it isn't clear to me that there is really a problem, except for
people who have a mental map of the conventional seating of symphony
orchestras. I myself have (regrettably) long since forgotten whatever I once
knew about this, so am not offended or confused no matter where the French
horns come from the right or the left.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

0
Stan
7/3/2004 7:17:42 AM
Stan Goodman wrote:

> Naturally; this leaves it up to the user to flip a coin to decide what to
> connect to which speaker.

Or to use his ears.

I have e.g. some very fine Mahler Symphonies where the recodings where
done with a *single-pair* of microphones. They produce such an
athmoshpere that in silent parts you are even afraid to breath to not
disturb it. Naturally only when the whole setup is correct (left/right,
phase, positioning of speakers ...)

Klaus Staedtler

0
Klaus
7/3/2004 8:43:07 AM
Stan Goodman wrote:

> Naturally; this leaves it up to the user to flip a coin to decide what to
> connect to which speaker, and makes the question moot.
>
> Actually, it isn't clear to me that there is really a problem, except for
> people who have a mental map of the conventional seating of symphony
> orchestras. I myself have (regrettably) long since forgotten whatever I once
> knew about this, so am not offended or confused no matter where the French
> horns come from the right or the left.

In most orchestras, the french horns will be right in the middle, at the
back, pointed into either a wall or some unfortunate percussionists ;)

Cheers,
Dave
0
David