what new pci sound card to buy for use with OS/2 4.0 or 4.5.2 ?

Hello,

I am looking  to soon buy OS/2 and wanted to know  what  PCI sound
cards had support from  IBM  -  OS/2  built into the  OS/2  install
disks or what current  sound card maker had compatible OS/2 drivers
included with the sound card.  Else  what sound card has been
supported with shareware or free ware drivers that can be downloaded
and installed with out doing much tweeking of the config  files by
hand?

I have been out of the OS/2 loop for about 2 years now.
I still have a nice old sound blaster AWE 32 ISA card but find a new
motherboard that takes  2 gig CPUs  with a ISA  slot yet?

suggestions  welcomed.

Chad

c-paul@netexpress.net
0
Chad
3/4/2004 10:20:25 PM
comp.os.os2.multimedia 517 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Sir:

Chad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking  to soon buy OS/2 and wanted to know  what  PCI sound
> cards had support from  IBM  -  OS/2  built into the  OS/2  install
> disks or what current  sound card maker had compatible OS/2 drivers
> included with the sound card.  Else  what sound card has been
> supported with shareware or free ware drivers that can be downloaded
> and installed with out doing much tweeking of the config  files by
> hand?
>
> I have been out of the OS/2 loop for about 2 years now.
> I still have a nice old sound blaster AWE 32 ISA card but find a new
> motherboard that takes  2 gig CPUs  with a ISA  slot yet?
>
> suggestions  welcomed.

Go here <http://os2.kiev.ua/en/uniaud.download.php> and look at the list
of supported cards, AC97 codex or go to Hobbes and search on sound cards
and see what is supported by recent drivers.
--
William L. Hartzell
Thanks a Million!

0
William
3/5/2004 11:12:09 AM
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 22:20:25 UTC, Chad <c-paul@netexpress.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking  to soon buy OS/2 and wanted to know  what  PCI sound
> cards had support from  IBM  -  OS/2  built into the  OS/2  install
> disks or what current  sound card maker had compatible OS/2 drivers
> included with the sound card.  Else  what sound card has been
> supported with shareware or free ware drivers that can be downloaded
> and installed with out doing much tweeking of the config  files by
> hand?
>
> I have been out of the OS/2 loop for about 2 years now.
> I still have a nice old sound blaster AWE 32 ISA card but find a new
> motherboard that takes  2 gig CPUs  with a ISA  slot yet?
>
> suggestions  welcomed.
>
> Chad
>
> c-paul@netexpress.net

Rather a complicated page, but see:

> http://www.os2usr.org/os2sound.html

I think the general concensus, is that the SoundBlaster Live is the
prefered device, but it does have a couple of limitations. See:

> http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0801H/vnewsf3.htm

for a discussion of how to make it work.

Hope this helps...
--
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

Doug
3/5/2004 6:35:03 PM
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:12:09 UTC, "William L. Hartzell" wrote:

> Go here <http://os2.kiev.ua/en/uniaud.download.php> and look at the list
> of supported cards, AC97 codex or go to Hobbes and search on sound cards
> and see what is supported by recent drivers.

Unfortunately the list of supported cards is not a guarantee that they
will all work or work with good sound quality. I bought a mainboard with
a supported AC'97 codec but it still does not work. So I kept my SBLive!
5.1 in one of the free PCI slots and switched off the onboard sound in
the BIOS. I also stayed with Sander van Leeuwen's driver verion 0.81,
because the sound quality is much superior to the uniaud driver.
The drawbacks are
- MIDI is software only while it is supposed to work in hardware with
  the uniaud driver
- I cannot use the extra front connectors of my case because the SBLive
  does not support them without an addon card.
--
Greetings,                         Please reply in newsgroup, I rarely
   Peter.                            read emails to pweilba@gwdg.de...

0
Peter
3/6/2004 10:21:19 AM
Sir:

Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:12:09 UTC, "William L. Hartzell" wrote:
>

>>Go here <http://os2.kiev.ua/en/uniaud.download.php> and look at the list
>>of supported cards, AC97 codex or go to Hobbes and search on sound cards
>>and see what is supported by recent drivers.
>

> Unfortunately the list of supported cards is not a guarantee that they
> will all work or work with good sound quality. I bought a mainboard with
> a supported AC'97 codec but it still does not work. So I kept my SBLive!
> 5.1 in one of the free PCI slots and switched off the onboard sound in
> the BIOS. I also stayed with Sander van Leeuwen's driver verion 0.81,
> because the sound quality is much superior to the uniaud driver.
> The drawbacks are
> - MIDI is software only while it is supposed to work in hardware with
>   the uniaud driver
> - I cannot use the extra front connectors of my case because the SBLive
>   does not support them without an addon card.
The ALAS is limited in what they support.  The SPDIF functions don't
work and RTmidi in don't work.  They don't support sound banks and many
of the extra speakers out for anything over 3.1, which is a limit of
AC97 specification.  They don't have surround sound.  All of which are
limits of the uniaudio driver.  And many of the included drivers have
not been debugged.  On OS/2 the native ISA sound card drivers are better
than the ISA sound card drivers included in ALAS.  Let us face the fact,
Linux sound system sucks, but does have the newer sound cards included
in the driver, and that gives hope to the Linux users.

I went shopping at the monthly outdoor flea market for Computer stuff
and purchased four PCI sound cards yesterday.  One of them, the S3 Sonic
Vibes aka 'Azetech PCI 128 Wave' has  pin connectors for each external
connector so that a front pannel can be plug into the card, assuming
that each is a single four pin female connector at the end of wire from
that front pannel connector.  The card is supported by Uniaudio.sys, but
I've not plug it in to see.
--
William L. Hartzell
Thanks a Million!

0
William
3/7/2004 2:12:19 PM
William L. Hartzell wrote:
> Let us face the fact,  Linux sound system sucks,

Seems your only experience with ALSA is the quite limited & uncomplete
uniaud port.

Have a look at http://linux-sound.org/ to see that there is more life
(or sound  if you like that) than you might imagine.

Klaus Staedtler

0
Klaus
3/7/2004 4:33:40 PM
Sir:

Klaus Staedtler wrote:
> William L. Hartzell wrote:
>
>> Let us face the fact,  Linux sound system sucks,
>

> Seems your only experience with ALSA is the quite limited & uncomplete
> uniaud port.
>
> Have a look at http://linux-sound.org/ to see that there is more life
> (or sound  if you like that) than you might imagine.

I have the sources and have looked in them.
--
William L. Hartzell
Thanks a Million!

0