f



Connecting printer on eCS1.1 PC to WinXP SP1 PC

I have a printer on an eCS 1.1 PC and am trying to get my XP SP1 PC to
connect to it. The two machines are connected using a crossover RJ-45
cable. On the eCS system I have IBM OS/2 NETBIOS and IBM TCP/IP. On
the XP machine I have NetBEUI and TCP/IP with NETBIOS over TCP/IP
disabled. The Workgroup name is IBMPEERS. The eCS machine is SYSTEM01
and the XP machine is SYSTEM03. XP shows the machines are connected
and I can see and use the files that I have as a share on the eCS
machine. On the eCS machine I have full access to the shared files on
the XP machine. The printer I want to share is on the eCS machine and
I set it up on the eCS machine as a share. When I try to install the
printer on the XP machine, it can't find the printer when I browse for
it. It does show up when I click on "View Workgroup Computers" (It
takes over 30 seconds for the workgroup computers to show up which
seems like an overly long time) and then click on the eCS machine
Icon.

When I force the XP printer installer to "see" the printer by entering
the location (\\system01\laserjet) it goes through the install but the
"test printer" fails. What the heck am I missing?

BTW, I have a Win98 partition on the eCS machine and before I disabled
the NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the XP machine I easily installed the
printer. I haven't messed with this (Win98) since I began to try to
get eCS 1.1 working.

Jim
0
5/7/2004 7:51:39 PM
comp.os.os2.networking.misc 604 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

7 Replies
468 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 29

More info:  I was able to obtain the use of the printer on the eCS 
system by going to a command line in XP and using the net use command to 
assign the printer to the XP machine's LPT2 port:

net use lpt2: \\system01\laserjet

I then installed the printer on the XP machine as an attached printer 
assigned to LPT2. This is not the way I think the system should work. I 
should be able to use the printer installation wizard and browse for the 
printer etc.

Jim

BTW, the XP version is XP home edition, SP1

0
5/8/2004 3:35:35 AM
Regarding your XP users who can access shared files on eCS, are they 
Administrators with passwords, Guests with passwords, or Guests without 
passwords?  Your answer will help me.



In <4d8cd4ae.0405071151.76fbacf9@posting.google.com>, jstein@worldnet.att.net writes:
>I have a printer on an eCS 1.1 PC and am trying to get my XP SP1 PC to
>connect to it. The two machines are connected using a crossover RJ-45
>cable. On the eCS system I have IBM OS/2 NETBIOS and IBM TCP/IP. On
>the XP machine I have NetBEUI and TCP/IP with NETBIOS over TCP/IP
>disabled. The Workgroup name is IBMPEERS. The eCS machine is SYSTEM01
>and the XP machine is SYSTEM03. XP shows the machines are connected
>and I can see and use the files that I have as a share on the eCS
>machine. On the eCS machine I have full access to the shared files on
>the XP machine. The printer I want to share is on the eCS machine and
>I set it up on the eCS machine as a share. When I try to install the
>printer on the XP machine, it can't find the printer when I browse for
>it. It does show up when I click on "View Workgroup Computers" (It
>takes over 30 seconds for the workgroup computers to show up which
>seems like an overly long time) and then click on the eCS machine
>Icon.
>
>When I force the XP printer installer to "see" the printer by entering
>the location (\\system01\laserjet) it goes through the install but the
>"test printer" fails. What the heck am I missing?
>
>BTW, I have a Win98 partition on the eCS machine and before I disabled
>the NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the XP machine I easily installed the
>printer. I haven't messed with this (Win98) since I began to try to
>get eCS 1.1 working.
>
>Jim

0
johnsuth (156)
5/9/2004 5:59:15 AM
Jim Stein wrote:

> More info:  I was able to obtain the use of the printer on the eCS
> system by going to a command line in XP and using the net use command to
> assign the printer to the XP machine's LPT2 port:
> 
> net use lpt2: \\system01\laserjet
> 
> I then installed the printer on the XP machine as an attached printer
> assigned to LPT2. This is not the way I think the system should work. I
> should be able to use the printer installation wizard and browse for the
> printer etc.
> 
> Jim
> 
> BTW, the XP version is XP home edition, SP1

It may be the way you have written this Jim but the net use printer 
assignment refers to the local port of the machine from which you made the 
assignment. It doesn't matter which port on the host mmachine the printer 
is actually connected to physically provided the host machine can access 
it. For instance the host machine miht have the printer connected to a USB 
port.

The essential thing to know is the machine netbios name and the name of the 
share for the device (in this case the printer).

If we assume here the command you have stated:

net use lpt2: \\system01\laserjet

you have assigned the local lpt2 port to the laserjet printer share on host 
system01. The local printer port does not need to exist physically. It is a 
logical assignment.

I am assuming here that system01 is the Windows XP machine.

The only other criterium to consider is that both machines belong to the 
same workgroup for netbios purposes.

Hugh
0
hugh7406 (33)
5/15/2004 4:11:24 PM
johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
> Regarding your XP users who can access shared files on eCS, are they 
> Administrators with passwords, Guests with passwords, or Guests without 
> passwords?  Your answer will help me.

There are only 2 machines connected. SYSTEM01 is the eCS machine. 
SYSTEM03 is the XP machine. There is only one user on each machine. Both 
have the same login:

Name: JIM1
Password: jps1

Both are logged in as administrators.

Jim

0
5/16/2004 9:03:29 PM
Hugh O'Hare wrote:

> It may be the way you have written this Jim but the net use printer 
> assignment refers to the local port of the machine from which you made the 
> assignment. It doesn't matter which port on the host mmachine the printer 
> is actually connected to physically provided the host machine can access 
> it. For instance the host machine miht have the printer connected to a USB 
> port.

The printer is connected to SYSTEM01, the eCS machine. The printer name 
on SYSTEM01 is LASERJET. I used: "net use lpt2: \\system01\laserjet" to 
assign the use of this printer to the lpt2 port on the XP machine. I 
then installed a printer (a LaserJet III) on the XP machine which is 
SYSTEM03. During the XP printer installation I set the lpt port to lpt2. 
The printer on SYSTEM01 can be accessed using this method.

> 
> The essential thing to know is the machine netbios name and the name of the 
> share for the device (in this case the printer).
> 
> If we assume here the command you have stated:
> 
> net use lpt2: \\system01\laserjet
> 
> you have assigned the local lpt2 port to the laserjet printer share on host 
> system01. The local printer port does not need to exist physically. It is a 
> logical assignment.
> 
> I am assuming here that system01 is the Windows XP machine.
> 
> The only other criterium to consider is that both machines belong to the 
> same workgroup for netbios purposes.

The Workgroup is IBMPEERS on both machines.

My concern is that when I use the Win98 partition on SYSTEM01, I can use 
the XP (SYSTEM03) install a printer feature and browse for a printer on 
the network. XP sees it and installs it---no problem. When using the eCS 
partition on SYSTEM01, I can't use the XP printer install browse for a 
printer on the network feature. For some reason XP can't see it.

The Win98 machine has TCP/IP and NetBios installed---the same as the eCS 
partition.  I am wondering if when the XP and Win98 machines connect 
they switch to NetBios over TCP/IP since, as I understand it, Microsoft 
includes this as part of TCP/IP. I did not install NetBios over TCP/IP 
on the eCS partition.

Jim

0
5/16/2004 9:31:16 PM
Jim Stein wrote:

> Hugh O'Hare wrote:
> 
>> It may be the way you have written this Jim but the net use printer
>> assignment refers to the local port of the machine from which you made
>> the assignment. It doesn't matter which port on the host mmachine the
>> printer is actually connected to physically provided the host machine can
>> access it. For instance the host machine miht have the printer connected
>> to a USB port.
> 
> The printer is connected to SYSTEM01, the eCS machine. The printer name
> on SYSTEM01 is LASERJET. I used: "net use lpt2: \\system01\laserjet" to
> assign the use of this printer to the lpt2 port on the XP machine. I
> then installed a printer (a LaserJet III) on the XP machine which is
> SYSTEM03. During the XP printer installation I set the lpt port to lpt2.
> The printer on SYSTEM01 can be accessed using this method.
> 
>> 
>> The essential thing to know is the machine netbios name and the name of
>> the share for the device (in this case the printer).
>> 
>> If we assume here the command you have stated:
>> 
>> net use lpt2: \\system01\laserjet
>> 
>> you have assigned the local lpt2 port to the laserjet printer share on
>> host system01. The local printer port does not need to exist physically.
>> It is a logical assignment.
>> 
>> I am assuming here that system01 is the Windows XP machine.
>> 
>> The only other criterium to consider is that both machines belong to the
>> same workgroup for netbios purposes.
> 
> The Workgroup is IBMPEERS on both machines.
> 
> My concern is that when I use the Win98 partition on SYSTEM01, I can use
> the XP (SYSTEM03) install a printer feature and browse for a printer on
> the network. XP sees it and installs it---no problem. When using the eCS
> partition on SYSTEM01, I can't use the XP printer install browse for a
> printer on the network feature. For some reason XP can't see it.
> 
> The Win98 machine has TCP/IP and NetBios installed---the same as the eCS
> partition.  I am wondering if when the XP and Win98 machines connect
> they switch to NetBios over TCP/IP since, as I understand it, Microsoft
> includes this as part of TCP/IP. I did not install NetBios over TCP/IP
> on the eCS partition.
> 
> Jim

Now you have me confused a little Jim.

I understand that I had the machine assignments the wrong way around in my 
original reply.

However, given that the ECS machine is system01 as you have now stated, from 
which machine did you run the command:

net use lpt2 \\system01\laserjet?

Given what I think you are trying to achieve i.e. sharing the laserjet 
printer connected to the ECS machine (system01)such that the windows XP 
machine can connect to it, the command you need is:

net share lpt2 \\system01\laserjet

If you now go to the Windows XP machine and at a command prompt type:

net use lpt2 \\system01\laserjet

the share should work fine.

If you now return to the ECS machine and at a prompt type:

net share

you should see a list of all shares assigned on the ECS machine.

Similarly typing:

net use

from the Windows XP machine will show all connections currenly established.

It's not necessary to have Netbios over TCPIP installed on the ECS machine.

The ability to browse the shares on an ECS machine relies on the ECS machine 
announcing itself to the network neighbourhood which due to differences in 
the initial default setup ECS doesn't do.

In fact XP doesn't announce istself by default either and you have to set 
the registry parameter lmannounce to value 1 from its default of 0 (zero).

The way to overcome that difference is to manually add the pat to the 
printer share in the printer configuration box:

\\system01\laserjet

as before.

The Windows Xp machine will then see the share and operate it.

Hope this helps.

Hugh
0
hugh7406 (33)
5/20/2004 8:37:08 PM
Hugh O'Hare wrote:
> However, given that the ECS machine is system01 as you have now stated, from 
> which machine did you run the command:
> 
> net use lpt2 \\system01\laserjet?


 From SYSTEM03, the XP machine

> 
> Given what I think you are trying to achieve i.e. sharing the laserjet 
> printer connected to the ECS machine (system01)such that the windows XP 
> machine can connect to it, the command you need is:
> 
> net share lpt2 \\system01\laserjet
> 
> If you now go to the Windows XP machine and at a command prompt type:
> 
> net use lpt2 \\system01\laserjet
> 
> the share should work fine.
> 
> If you now return to the ECS machine and at a prompt type:
> 
> net share
> 
> you should see a list of all shares assigned on the ECS machine.
> 
> Similarly typing:
> 
> net use
> 
> from the Windows XP machine will show all connections currenly established.
> 
> It's not necessary to have Netbios over TCPIP installed on the ECS machine.
> 
> The ability to browse the shares on an ECS machine relies on the ECS machine 
> announcing itself to the network neighbourhood which due to differences in 
> the initial default setup ECS doesn't do.

This is what I have experienced.

> 
> In fact XP doesn't announce istself by default either and you have to set 
> the registry parameter lmannounce to value 1 from its default of 0 (zero).

I have already done this.
> 
> The way to overcome that difference is to manually add the pat to the 
> printer share in the printer configuration box:
> 
> \\system01\laserjet
> 
> as before.
> 
> The Windows Xp machine will then see the share and operate it.
> 
> Hope this helps.
> 
> Hugh

This is where I am having the trouble figuring out how the XP machine 
works. I had already done all the net use and net share things as you 
suggest. When I tried to install the printer, I couldn't get the XP 
machine to "see" the shared printer on the eCS machine in the install a 
networked printer app, even when I entered the path as you describe. Net 
Share at the command line on the XP machine showed the printer. I did 
the net use command on the XP machine to assign the printer to XP's lpt2 
port.

As I said, I had to do a "non-networked" printer install on the XP 
machine and manually assign the printer to lpt2. As I said, this works. 
However, my question is why doesn't the XP machine have the ability to 
install the printer as a networked printer in the install printer 
routine when I am using eCS?

If I boot the eCS machine using its Win98 partition, I can easily use 
the XP machine's install a networked printer routine. If I boot eCS this 
isn't so. (Yes, when booted with eCS, I log on to the network). My 
problem isn't that I finally got the share working using eCS. I want to 
understand why XP does the printer install easily when I use the Win98 
partition---not so when I am using the eCS partition. Something 
different goes on when I use the Win98 partition as compared to when I 
have eCS booted. I am a long time OS/2 user (not an expert). I can't 
stand it when Win98 seems to enable the printer sharing better than eCS 
( ie. I don't have to do the net use assignment and install the printer 
as a "local" printer on the XP machine. XP just "sees" the printer and 
installs it as a networked printer when I boot from Win98).


Jim

0
5/21/2004 8:40:21 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

PC to PC
Hello all I have connect licensed. I wondered, is it possible to submit a sas job to remotely run on another pc version of sas (not a server version), or is a server license needed? Thanks Robert Hi Robert It is possible. Here are the things you do: On the remote PC you should have SAS connect spawner service running. Following are the steps on remote pc: 1. Include the following entry in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file: spawner 4016/tcp #SAS UNINX Spawner 2. Start service by running the following command: c:\program files\sas\8.2\utilities\bin\sastcpd ...

PC to PC
Hi, I have a router to which I have 2 PCs and a RPC attached.Originally the set up was for the RPC and 1 PC to be on line and also for the RPC to make use of the PCs printer capabilities.The 2nd PC is my daughters and she would like to make use of the Epson photocolour printer without having to shift everything around.But I can't seem to get the 2 PCs talking to one another.Any ideas please? Dave. In article <42f977b64e.daveandsylvia@daveandsylvia.plus.com>, dave <dave@daveandsylvia.plus.com> wrote: > Hi, I have a router to which I have 2 PCs and a RPC ...

With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. Again I have all OS X Macs with printer sharing se
With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. Again I have all OS X Macs with printer sharing set to on. I am able to print from one Mac to another via sharing. What about the PC ? -- http://bergenbulldogradio.blogspot.com/ In article <il9Yg.1193$6D3.1191@trnddc01>, Marshall <notmkatzman@verizon.net> wrote: > With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my > PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. > Again I have ...

Connecting PC to PC over DSL??
Hi Ya'll, I am trying to find out how to bypass SKYPE and other internet providers of connectivity, so to speak, to hookup directly with another PC and use the video chat, audio chat, exchange files, etc. Anybody know a program that will set this up and make it fly right??? Many Thanks On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 15:04:22 -0500, whataboutthatthing <whataboutthatthing.48sjpm@no.email.invalid> wrote: > > Hi Ya'll, > > I am trying to find out how to bypass SKYPE and other internet > providers of connectivity, so to speak, to hookup directly with an...

Networking a RISC PC to a PC
My PC is running XP (SP2) connected to the RISC PC through a router. The system worked fine and I had a number of shared folders on the PC which I accessed from the Risc PC without any problems. However for some unaccountable reason I can no longer access these folders getting instead an error message which says "Insufficient server memory to perform the requested function". The strange thing is that I can ping both computers from each other. Please note that the 'shares' are set up on the PC. Has anyone got any bright ideas as to the cause/reason for my problem. ...

Network traffic to a PC, but PC Off.
I am no network expert. Using LanView Packet Capture, I noticed recently that even if a PC (on a LAN) is off, internet traffic was still directed at this PC (the destination IP identifies the PC). Is this normal ? Thanks. sl@exabyte pisze: > I am no network expert. > > Using LanView Packet Capture, I noticed recently that even if a PC (on a > LAN) is off, internet traffic was still directed at this PC (the destination > IP identifies the PC). > > Is this normal ? > > Thanks. > > Yes it's normal. For example if one host (A) sends packet to ho...

Simple pc-to-pc network
I've just connected two WinXP laptops with an Ethernet cross-over cable. I want to copy files from one to the other. Where can I see a simple step-by-step guide as to what to do next? The WinXP help is too difficult. Do I in fact have to do anything at all? Do I need to create accounts? Give permissions? (How?) Where will the other computer's file appear on each machine? Thanks, Bart. C. PS I *have* tried Google. Bart Casiero wrote: > I've just connected two WinXP laptops with an Ethernet cross-over > cable. > > I want to copy files from one to the other. > > Where can I see a simple step-by-step guide as to what to do next? > > The WinXP help is too difficult. > > Do I in fact have to do anything at all? Do I need to create > accounts? Give permissions? (How?) Where will the other computer's > file appear on each machine? > > > Thanks, > > Bart. C. > > PS I have tried Google. Try here: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/ HTH -- Paul-B Reply-to address is spamtrap... use paul @ streetka dot biz without the spaces On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:12:03 +0100, "Bart Casiero" <bart4858@freeuk.com> wrote: >I've just connected two WinXP laptops with an Ethernet cross-over cable. > >I want to copy files from one to the other. > >Where can I see a simple step-by-step guide as to what to do...

Connecting PC to PC over DSL??
Hi Ya'll, I am trying to find out how to bypass SKYPE and other internet providers of connectivity, so to speak, to hookup directly with another PC and use the video chat, audio chat, exchange files, etc. Anybody know a program that will set this up and make it fly right??? Many Thanks On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 15:04:22 -0500, whataboutthatthing <whataboutthatthing.48sjpm@no.email.invalid> wrote: > > Hi Ya'll, > > I am trying to find out how to bypass SKYPE and other internet > providers of connectivity, so to speak, to hookup directly with an...

New Mac and connecting to a PC networked printer woes
Help! I just got a new g4 iBook and i can see the printer on the network but the mac doesn't have the right driver (HP deskjet 5550) and I tried all the other drivers but all of them end up spitting out junk from the printer. I've also tried downloading the driver for the HP printer from HP.com but after installation the driver is still not in the list of HP printer drivers and I can't find the supposed 'toolbar' the package installer was suppose to install aswell. Also I was using Windows Printing, not IP Printing ... not that I have any idea what the difference is ... ...

how to access my own PC from remote PC(any PC
I got mywebserver from http://www.mywebserver.org/us/, I dont know how to access 'mywebserver' running on my own PC from remote location (i.e any PC connected to internet)??? I tried in the address bar of web browser folloing things... 1)http://A.B.C.D. where A.B.C.D. is IP address shown on control panel of 'mywebserver'. This IP address remains same on getting connected to internet.(i.e. It doesnt change whenever my PC connects to internet) 2)http://A.B.C.D. where A.B.C.D is IP address of my PC(got from 'ipconfig' command) Can anybody tell me? how to access ...

Can't find driver for printer connected to networked PC
I'm trying to print from Mac OS 10.4.3 to an HP OfficeJet 6100 that's connected to a Windows XP computer on my network. The Mac and PC are networking together just fine. I have an HP Laserjet 1200 connected to the same PC, and Mac OS can successfully print to that printer. And when I use the Printer Setup Utility and choose Add Printer, the Mac does find my OfficeJet printer on the network, but when I try to set it up, and choose HP, there's only one OfficeJet model (9100) listed. That model's driver doesn't work at all. I went to Hp's web site and downl...

PC/GEOS OS
IAQ - Infrequently Asked Questions. Where is the next release of GEOS? Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpatpar@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying: >Where is the next release of GEOS? It will be released when it's ready. :-) -- -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Mableton, GA USA OS/2 + eCS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it! The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then. winpatpar@hotmail.com wrote: &g...

WIN98 PC
I'm trying to get a WIN98 PC to connect directly to the IP address of a networked printer. The printer is a Lexmark Optra R. From my XP boxes there is no problem. When I run Lexmark's Print Server Setup Utility, I get the notification "Communication failure with the network print server" I have tried disabling Bootp and reenabling it through the printer control panel. My printer has no means to disable DHCP and I can't remember what the other protocol was but it's not there either. At one point I got a cryptic error message consisting of three numbers ...

Most robust network PC to PC method?
For the second time this year my USB datalink cable has decided not to work for a day or so. Basically I need to send some graphics work from this PC which has Internet access via a BT Home Hub, to a second remote graphics machine (with a folder on the graphics machine mapped as a location for a Network Drive on this one) and for most part a USB datalink cable has worked fine. I've got a BT Homehub but don't want Internet access for the graphics machine, wanting to keep all my hard work remote from external access so thought a cable would be the way to go. What o...

Connection unavailable message on PC connected to home network
I have SBC/Yahoo DSL. At home I share the connection with three different PC's using a Netgear RP614v2 router. I have one Win2k machine, one Windows98 SE machine, and one Windows 95 machine. All is well except for one thing. Every time I reboot the Windows 98 PC, the first time I try to connect to a web site with IE I get an error message that says that no network connection is available. I am given the option to either work off line or retry. When I select "retry" it always connects the second time and all is well. I can close my browser, then re open it later and I can conne...

Intel + Mac = PC? Does AMD + PC != PC?
I see this has popped up occasionally and I just wanted to get a clear view of what people were talking about when they were suggesting Macs are no longer Macs. It seems a great deal of this is a result of Apple's switch to intel processors. Is that the only thing that people are basing this statement on? Is it the fact that with Apple's Bootcamp software you can duel boot to XP? If either of those are the case, what about the following: PCs don't necessarily all have intel processors. If a PC is built around an AMD processor, does it cease to be a PC? A PC doesn't...

networking a vista PC with a XP MCE PC
Morning, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction (websites, books, suggestions). I have a home wired network and did have 2 XP MCE PC's, one in the study and then one in the bedroom. networked together i could watch all the programs i had recorded (on the main PC) in the bedroom. the main pc has now been replaced with a Windows Vista Ultimate PC but I have no idea on how to set up the network again, so it is the same as it was. (the fact that they use the words public network or something scares me as well) can anyone tell me how to network these 2 pc's aga...

Connecting one PC as slave to a second PC ?
I have two PCs running Win XP home edition that are presently connected to a broadband cable modem via a Netgear router and patch cables. They are currently only sharing the internet and not files or printer. There are times when it would be desirable to have one of the PCs act as a clone of the other - that is, one PC sees or mimics what the other PC is seeing and doing. I am totally a newbie when it comes to networking and only know that it is possible to share files and printers on a network but am not aware if it is possible to have two PCs connected so that one is a slave to the other ...

Connecting one PC as slave to a second PC ?
I have two PCs running Win XP home edition that are presently connected to a broadband cable modem via a Netgear router and patch cables. They are currently only sharing the internet and not files or printer. There are times when it would be desirable to have one of the PCs act as a clone of the other - that is, one PC sees or mimics what the other PC is seeing and doing. I am totally a newbie when it comes to networking and only know that it is possible to share files and printers on a network but am not aware if it is possible to have two PCs connected so that one is a slave to the other ...

Problems with connecting Roland PC-180A to PC
Hello. I've got SoundBlaster AWE64 and ROland PC-180A. I'm trying to connect it to my PC but with no results. I think that the problem is in the cable between ROland and soundcard. I heard that it is a common problem, but I don't know how to resolve it. Where can I get a "proper" cable or how can I test it? One way to do a test is connect a midi keyboard by a midi cable directly to the sound module, or keyboard you want to test. You will know real quick if the midi cable is ok or not., but you do need to transmit on the right channel that the module is set to at. Mi...

networking a vista PC with a XP MCE PC
Morning, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction (websites, books, suggestions). I have a home wired network and did have 2 XP MCE PC's, one in the study and then one in the bedroom. networked together i could watch all the programs i had recorded (on the main PC) in the bedroom. the main pc has now been replaced with a Windows Vista Ultimate PC but I have no idea on how to set up the network again, so it is the same as it was. (the fact that they use the words public network or something scares me as well) can anyone tell me how to network these 2 pc's aga...

Controlling a windows PC from a OS/2 PC
I have some applications running on an old win PC and I would like to control it via my regular os/2 machine. I'd like to do this in a matter like VNC does it, but I cannot use tcpip. Are there programs doing that via a serial or USB cable? JMS Sir: Jens wrote: > I have some applications running on an old win PC and I would like to > control it via my regular os/2 machine. I'd like to do this in a > matter like VNC does it, but I cannot use tcpip. Are there programs > doing that via a serial or USB cable? > Many of the old terminal emulation programs could do what you are looking to do, use a serial port and a cross-over cable. Cannot use USB, not in its specification. -- William L. Hartzell Thanks a Million! Maybe you can track down a copy of Netfinity Manager and Netfinity Client for the apprporiate platforms. They used to be on the IBM PC (hardware) site. They contain a remote control program that uses a number of different protocols. Jens wrote: > I have some applications running on an old win PC and I would like to > control it via my regular os/2 machine. I'd like to do this in a > matter like VNC does it, but I cannot use tcpip. Are there programs > doing that via a serial or USB cable? > > JMS > > I have some applications running on an old win PC and I would like to > > control it via my regular os/2 machine. I'd like to do this in a > > matter like VNC does it, but I cannot use tcpip...

Networking Mac to PC & Pc to Mac
Hello, I would like to access my PC from my Mac & my Mac & a HP Printer from my PC. My Mac is running Tiger & the PC XP Pro. I have a router (or a hub) between the 2 machines & I would like to know how to have each one recognize (& communicate) with the other. Going through the internet is *not* an option. If more info is needed, please don't hesitate to ask; I've been struggling with this for 3 days now. Thanks, Bloop In article <r6frf.88639$WH.83544@dukeread01>, Coxy <srukin@cox.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to access my PC...

1 HpJetdirect 170 + 1 PC -> automatic switch -> printer
Hi, I've got to share a printer (HPDJ960) between a HpJetdirect 170 printserver and a WIN95-PC. I'm using an automatic switch. Port A connected to WIN95-PC, port B connected to HpJetdirect and port C is connected to the printer. Printing from WIN95-PC is ok, but printing from network over HpJetdirect 170 doesn't work. Port is not switched to HpJetdirect. Anybody running a comparable setup? Where are the pitfalls? Thanks in advance! Rainer ...

Web resources about - Connecting printer on eCS1.1 PC to WinXP SP1 PC - comp.os.os2.networking.misc

List of Nebraska Connecting Link, Spur, and Recreation Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nebraska Connecting Link , Nebraska Spur , and Nebraska Recreation Road highways are a secondary part of the Nebraska highway system . They connect ...

Israeli Hotel U Coral Beach Club Eilat Has a Unique Way of Connecting Guests to Facebook
U Coral Beach Club Eilat, a hotel in Israel , is taking sharing vacation photos and checking in to the next level thanks to a collaboration between ...

Digital Media Wire - connecting people & knowledge —
dmwnews : Anomaly, the ambitious graphic novel by Brittenham and Haberlin, features augmented reality. http://bit.ly/Iwrxjr Already optioned ...

Connecting 100 Million People in Africa
„Facebook for Business“ liefert dir aktuelle Nachrichten, Tipps und Best Practices für den Einsatz von Facebook zur Erreichung deiner Unternehmensziele: ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Home - WHLT 22 Connecting the Pine Belt Fan
Facebook is a social utility that connects people with friends and others who work, study and live around them. People use Facebook to keep up ...

US IT Staffing Recruiters Group - Connecting Ideas !
US IT Recruiter's Groups: IT Technical Recruitment. Its all about connecting to new Ideas !

Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting the community, my Twitter strategy, and American Airlines at DFW - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
I thought, to commemorate this entry on connecting people, that I'd include a photo of an airplane from one of the busiest airports in the world ...

Connecting an Arduino to a DSC 1550 Alarm Panel - YouTube
Have an old DSC-1550 (PC 1550) Alarm Panel? This video shows how to connect an Arduino to the panel, simulate a keypad, and monitor the state ...

Resources last updated: 3/7/2016 3:07:51 PM