Updating Odin to Wine 1.0.1 level or port Wine 1.0.1 to OS/2?

Looking on Netlabs there does not appear to have been any activity on Odin
since 2006.  Meanwhile Wine has reached the 1.0.1 level and is still being
developed.  Would someone here consider either updating Odin to the latest
Wine level or porting Wine to OS/2?  I am not any where near capable of
taking this on, although I have downloaded the build environment from Paul
Smedley's site and built a few programs on my own.  All that I have worked
on has either compiled immediately in the environment or required very few
very minor tweaks.  I am sure that either updating Odin or porting Wine is
far out of my league.

-- Dave
dhdurgee<at>verizon<dot>net

me
2/5/2009 4:02:38 PM
comp.os.os2.programmer.porting 186 articles. 0 followers. jp912 (60) is leader. Post Follow

Tu, me@privacy.net, hai scritto questo in data Thu, 5 Feb 2009
16:02:38 UTC:

> Looking on Netlabs there does not appear to have been any activity on Odin
> since 2006.  Meanwhile Wine has reached the 1.0.1 level and is still being
> developed.  Would someone here consider either updating Odin to the latest
> Wine level or porting Wine to OS/2?  I am not any where near capable of
> taking this on, although I have downloaded the build environment from Paul
> Smedley's site and built a few programs on my own.  All that I have worked
> on has either compiled immediately in the environment or required very few
> very minor tweaks.  I am sure that either updating Odin or porting Wine is
> far out of my league.

It's too much for me too. Actually I think it wuold be a really huge
task, maybe too much to handle for a single developer.

It could be manageable somehow if some people gathered to form some
team and work on the latest releases.

Mentore

--
Mentore Siesto
eComStation Developer Team
Mentore Siesto wrote:
> Tu, me@privacy.net, hai scritto questo in data Thu, 5 Feb 2009
> 16:02:38 UTC:
>
>> Looking on Netlabs there does not appear to have been any activity on Odin
>> since 2006.  Meanwhile Wine has reached the 1.0.1 level and is still being
>> developed.  Would someone here consider either updating Odin to the latest
>> Wine level or porting Wine to OS/2?  I am not any where near capable of
>> taking this on, although I have downloaded the build environment from Paul
>> Smedley's site and built a few programs on my own.  All that I have worked
>> on has either compiled immediately in the environment or required very few
>> very minor tweaks.  I am sure that either updating Odin or porting Wine is
>> far out of my league.
>
> It's too much for me too. Actually I think it wuold be a really huge
> task, maybe too much to handle for a single developer.
>
> It could be manageable somehow if some people gathered to form some
> team and work on the latest releases.

Why not just compile Wine?  You would need X server, but it is going to
be better than nothing...

Thanks,
Ilya
0
Ilya
2/13/2009 6:13:43 AM
Tu, Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org>, hai scritto questo in
data Fri, 13 Feb 2009 06:13:43 UTC:

> Mentore Siesto wrote:
> > Tu, me@privacy.net, hai scritto questo in data Thu, 5 Feb 2009
> > 16:02:38 UTC:
> >
> >> Looking on Netlabs there does not appear to have been any activity on Odin
> >> since 2006.  Meanwhile Wine has reached the 1.0.1 level and is still being
> >> developed.  Would someone here consider either updating Odin to the latest
> >> Wine level or porting Wine to OS/2?  I am not any where near capable of
> >> taking this on, although I have downloaded the build environment from Paul
> >> Smedley's site and built a few programs on my own.  All that I have worked
> >> on has either compiled immediately in the environment or required very few
> >> very minor tweaks.  I am sure that either updating Odin or porting Wine is
> >> far out of my league.
> >
> > It's too much for me too. Actually I think it wuold be a really huge
> > task, maybe too much to handle for a single developer.
> >
> > It could be manageable somehow if some people gathered to form some
> > team and work on the latest releases.
>
> Why not just compile Wine?  You would need X server, but it is going to
> be better than nothing...
>
> Thanks,
> Ilya

I'm afraid this would cause more problems.

First of all, not so many eCS (OS/2) users are happy to run
XFree86/OS2 or other X servers.

Then it comes to GCC developing: as for now, the only stable official
solution is on a really old GCC platform, and I'm afraid this won't
allow compiling such a beast as Wine, which is a really recent product
and imho won't compile with gcc < 3.3.5 or even 4.x.

The real goal should be porting all with the latest OpenWatcom or GCC,
using the original ODIN codebase as much as possible and integrating
it with Wine.

Just my € 0.02, though.

--
Mentore Siesto
eComStation Developer Team
0
Mentore
2/13/2009 10:40:26 PM
On 2009-02-13, Mentore Siesto <mentore.eCSTeam@DevTeam.eCS> wrote:
> Tu, Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org>, hai scritto questo in
> data Fri, 13 Feb 2009 06:13:43 UTC:

>> > It could be manageable somehow if some people gathered to form some
>> > team and work on the latest releases.

>> Why not just compile Wine?  You would need X server, but it is going to
>> be better than nothing...

> I'm afraid this would cause more problems.

More problems than what?

> First of all, not so many eCS (OS/2) users are happy to run
> XFree86/OS2 or other X servers.

Nobody forces them to run anything.  If they do not need to run Win*
programs, they are free to not do run X servers...

> Then it comes to GCC developing: as for now, the only stable official
> solution is on a really old GCC platform, and I'm afraid this won't
> allow compiling such a beast as Wine, which is a really recent product
> and imho won't compile with gcc < 3.3.5 or even 4.x.

Are not you confusing compiler and CRT?  To have compatibility with X
libs, one needs to compile with EMX CRT.  To have compatibility with
Wine source, one needs to compile with gcc-newer.

So compile with gcc-newer and EMX CRT.  I'm doing this with (some of) my
programs now.

> The real goal should be porting all with the latest OpenWatcom or GCC,
> using the original ODIN codebase as much as possible and integrating
> it with Wine.

It is nice to have pipe dreams.  I would prefer a possibility to run
Win* programs.  ;-)

Hope this helps,
Ilya
0