Help needed:Turning internal IDE drive into external USB drive

Hi guys,
I need a little advice please.
(Apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place.)

I was shopping for an external storage device on Ebay,and I accidentally
bought an internal drive instead.(Dopey me realised my mistake 5 seconds
after I bid,& alas no one out bid me.As I don't want an unpaid strike,I had
to buy the damn thing.)
I was going to sell it back on Ebay after it arrives,but a little reading
revealed to me that you can turn an internal drive into a USB external drive
with a 3.5" hard drive case enclosure.
So I ask,can I convert the following:
Seagate 200GB 7200RPM 8MB IDE Internal Hard Drive
-into an external hard drive?
Specs are :
200 GB capacity
7200 RPM spindle speed
8 MB buffer
UDMA/100 transfer rate
4.16 ms average latency
IDE interface
3.5-inch form factor

What type of enclosure would I need?There seem to be several types(Sata,IDE
etc) & I'm confused as to which I need. I spent $AU62 on the thing(plus 22
bucks postage) so while I want a decent one that does the job & doesn't
overheat,I don't want to spend a fortune on it.Brand/price recommendation
would be welcome.
Also,will it work with a laptop?I have a DellInspiron 6400/E1505 with 1 G
memory & 80G hard drive with Windows Vista Home Basic.It's an excellent
little laptop that has given me no hassles in the year that I've owned
it.(So I don't want to f**k it up!):-)
I originally wanted the drive to store my music on.I got an ipod for Xmas &
Itunes & mp3s are a memory hog.

So,can I convert this drive without too much trouble?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Artemis.

0
Artemis
1/15/2008 5:28:00 AM
comp.os.os2.setup.misc 727 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Artemis wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I need a little advice please.
> (Apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place.)
>
> I was shopping for an external storage device on Ebay,and I accidentally
> bought an internal drive instead.(Dopey me realised my mistake 5 seconds
> after I bid,& alas no one out bid me.As I don't want an unpaid strike,I
> had to buy the damn thing.)
> I was going to sell it back on Ebay after it arrives,but a little
> reading revealed to me that you can turn an internal drive into a USB
> external drive with a 3.5" hard drive case enclosure.
> So I ask,can I convert the following:
> Seagate 200GB 7200RPM 8MB IDE Internal Hard Drive
> -into an external hard drive?
> Specs are :
> 200 GB capacity
> 7200 RPM spindle speed
> 8 MB buffer
> UDMA/100 transfer rate
> 4.16 ms average latency
> IDE interface
> 3.5-inch form factor
>
> What type of enclosure would I need?There seem to be several
> types(Sata,IDE etc) & I'm confused as to which I need. I spent $AU62 on
> the thing(plus 22 bucks postage) so while I want a decent one that does
> the job & doesn't overheat,I don't want to spend a fortune on
> it.Brand/price recommendation would be welcome.
> Also,will it work with a laptop?I have a DellInspiron 6400/E1505 with 1
> G memory & 80G hard drive with Windows Vista Home Basic.It's an
> excellent little laptop that has given me no hassles in the year that
> I've owned it.(So I don't want to f**k it up!):-)
> I originally wanted the drive to store my music on.I got an ipod for
> Xmas & Itunes & mp3s are a memory hog.
>
> So,can I convert this drive without too much trouble?
> Any advice appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> Artemis.
Hello,

Have a look a this item. may not be decent.. but doesn't cost much, no
heating problem...Can be used with your laptop as well..(if there is an
available USB port on the laptop) ;-)
http://www.pearl.de/pearl.jsp;jsessionid=g_Pq6tKRa6MaaCN28D?screenX=1024&screenY=768

K.

0
Kelbel
1/15/2008 9:57:34 AM
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 05:28:00 UTC, "Artemis"
<feralladybug@SPAMTRAPoptusnet.com.au> wrote:

> I was going to sell it back on Ebay after it arrives,but a little reading
> revealed to me that you can turn an internal drive into a USB external
> drive with a 3.5" hard drive case enclosure.
> So I ask,can I convert the following:
> Seagate 200GB 7200RPM 8MB IDE Internal Hard Drive
> -into an external hard drive?

Sure.  Just buy a 3.5" IDE/PATA compatible USB enclosure, they're not
expensive.

> What type of enclosure would I need?There seem to be several
> types(Sata,IDE etc) & I'm confused as to which I need. I spent $AU62 on
> the thing(plus 22 bucks postage) so while I want a decent one that does
> the job & doesn't overheat,I don't want to spend a fortune on
> it.Brand/price recommendation would be welcome.

Make sure it's 3.5" compatible, and PATA (a.k.a. IDE/ATAPI - _not_ SATA).

I suggest getting a model with a power switch, but I think almost all of
them do have those - that way you can turn it off when you're not using it,
and save both power and wear/tear (and heat).

Some fit the drive more snugly than others, whereas some are designed with
good ventilation in mind.  I suspect the $30-50 dollar range is probably
reasonable.

> Also,will it work with a laptop?I have a DellInspiron 6400/E1505 with 1 G
> memory & 80G hard drive with Windows Vista Home Basic.It's an excellent
> little laptop that has given me no hassles in the year that I've owned
> it.(So I don't want to f**k it up!):-)

It just gets seen like any other USB removeable media device.  You may have
to use DFSee to rewrite the partition table before using the hard disk (I
had to on mine, but that was not with the very latest USB drivers), but
otherwise there shouldn't be any trouble.

The one thing you might want to keep in mind is, does your computer have
USB2.0 ports, or only USB1.1?  Most USB2 devices are more or less backwards
compatible, but some of the cheaper models don't do a very good job of it,
and if your laptop only supports USB1.x you may find access to a USB2
storage device is slower and less reliable than it should be (under OS/2,
at least).

> So,can I convert this drive without too much trouble?

There shouldn't be any problem, it's pretty easy to do.

--
Alex Taylor
Fukushima, Japan

Please take off hat when replying.
0
Alex
1/15/2008 11:17:02 AM
Hi Artemis

Artemis wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I need a little advice please.
> (Apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place.)
>
> I was shopping for an external storage device on Ebay,and I accidentally
> bought an internal drive instead.(Dopey me realised my mistake 5 seconds
> after I bid,& alas no one out bid me.As I don't want an unpaid strike,I
> had to buy the damn thing.)
> I was going to sell it back on Ebay after it arrives,but a little
> reading revealed to me that you can turn an internal drive into a USB
> external drive with a 3.5" hard drive case enclosure.
> So I ask,can I convert the following:
> Seagate 200GB 7200RPM 8MB IDE Internal Hard Drive
> -into an external hard drive?
> Specs are :
> 200 GB capacity
> 7200 RPM spindle speed
> 8 MB buffer
> UDMA/100 transfer rate
> 4.16 ms average latency
> IDE interface
> 3.5-inch form factor
>
> What type of enclosure would I need?There seem to be several
> types(Sata,IDE etc) & I'm confused as to which I need. I spent $AU62 on
> the thing(plus 22 bucks postage) so while I want a decent one that does
> the job & doesn't overheat,I don't want to spend a fortune on
> it.Brand/price recommendation would be welcome.
> Also,will it work with a laptop?I have a DellInspiron 6400/E1505 with 1
> G memory & 80G hard drive with Windows Vista Home Basic.It's an
> excellent little laptop that has given me no hassles in the year that
> I've owned it.(So I don't want to f**k it up!):-)
> I originally wanted the drive to store my music on.I got an ipod for
> Xmas & Itunes & mp3s are a memory hog.
>
> So,can I convert this drive without too much trouble?
> Any advice appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> Artemis.

Based on the above drive specs I'd recommend an Icy Box USB2 enclosure
for IDE drives.

The version I have is passively cooled (no fan) and has never caused a
drive failure. It replaced a succession (2) of actively cooled (with
fan) cases that had caused drive failuress. This review shows the
enclosure in use here  http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/icybox/icybox.htm

As we are in different parts of the world I cannot point you to a local
stockist but a quick search of local webstores and ebay should give you
some idea of price/availability.

Hope the above is of help

Pete
0
Peter
1/15/2008 1:19:33 PM
Artemis wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I need a little advice please.
> (Apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place.)
>
> I was shopping for an external storage device on Ebay,and I accidentally
> bought an internal drive instead.(Dopey me realised my mistake 5 seconds
> after I bid,& alas no one out bid me.As I don't want an unpaid strike,I
> had to buy the damn thing.)
> I was going to sell it back on Ebay after it arrives,but a little
> reading revealed to me that you can turn an internal drive into a USB
> external drive with a 3.5" hard drive case enclosure.
> So I ask,can I convert the following:
> Seagate 200GB 7200RPM 8MB IDE Internal Hard Drive
> -into an external hard drive?
> Specs are :
> 200 GB capacity
> 7200 RPM spindle speed
> 8 MB buffer
> UDMA/100 transfer rate
> 4.16 ms average latency
> IDE interface
> 3.5-inch form factor
>
> What type of enclosure would I need?There seem to be several
> types(Sata,IDE etc) & I'm confused as to which I need. I spent $AU62 on
> the thing(plus 22 bucks postage) so while I want a decent one that does
> the job & doesn't overheat,I don't want to spend a fortune on
> it.Brand/price recommendation would be welcome.
> Also,will it work with a laptop?I have a DellInspiron 6400/E1505 with 1
> G memory & 80G hard drive with Windows Vista Home Basic.It's an
> excellent little laptop that has given me no hassles in the year that
> I've owned it.(So I don't want to f**k it up!):-)
> I originally wanted the drive to store my music on.I got an ipod for
> Xmas & Itunes & mp3s are a memory hog.
>
> So,can I convert this drive without too much trouble?
> Any advice appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> Artemis.
I've had good luck with AMS Electronics Venus DS3 USB enclosures.
On-board fan, on/off switch, seem to be plenty fast.  I got the two I
have through Frys in Houston, though a quick Google shows they are
available through the net.

     Mike

--
--- Michael G. Slack (remove '_'s to reply) ---
0