SATA DAT tape drive / danis506 question

I'm curious. The old BA2KSV server pro product can handle, so said, both
virtually any kind of SCSI DAT and IDE DAT tape drive units, per the
documentation for it.  I'm wondering if by change, since the very good DANIA506
device driver can handle most any of the old ATA and SATA drive requirements,
might the current SATA DAT tape drives be serviced with it?

Suggested to me was the Quantum DAT72 CD72H-SBU DAT tape backup drive unit.
The current Seagate SATA hard drives currently provide data throughput service
even faster than the Adaptec 29160 card and driver, which is actually better
than the 2940U2W card if you set the Adaptec IBM DDVR AIC driver service with
it to the 160 throughput level with Adaptec's setup program.

If we could use the Quantum DAT tape drive on SATA with the BA2KSV program,
that would cut down a lot of cost for a tape backed unit.  And per the
reliability figures shown me, the newer NCQ extra-reliable SATA Seagate drives
have really close reliability to the SCSI units they have.

Thoughts?

--

--> Sleep well; OS2's still awake! ;)

Mike Luther
0
Mike
3/24/2009 1:25:24 AM
comp.os.os2.setup.storage 530 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 03/23/09 09:25 pm Mike Luther wrote:

> I'm curious. The old BA2KSV server pro product can handle, so said, both
> virtually any kind of SCSI DAT and IDE DAT tape drive units, per the
> documentation for it. I'm wondering if by change, since the very good
> DANIA506 device driver can handle most any of the old ATA and SATA drive
> requirements, might the current SATA DAT tape drives be serviced with it?
>
> Suggested to me was the Quantum DAT72 CD72H-SBU DAT tape backup drive
> unit. The current Seagate SATA hard drives currently provide data
> throughput service even faster than the Adaptec 29160 card and driver,
> which is actually better than the 2940U2W card if you set the Adaptec
> IBM DDVR AIC driver service with it to the 160 throughput level with
> Adaptec's setup program.
>
> If we could use the Quantum DAT tape drive on SATA with the BA2KSV
> program, that would cut down a lot of cost for a tape backed unit. And
> per the reliability figures shown me, the newer NCQ extra-reliable SATA
> Seagate drives have really close reliability to the SCSI units they have.
>
> Thoughts?

A quick look suggests that these Quantum SATA DAT drives are
considerably more expensive than the Sony (also rebranded as Dell or
Compaq) SCSI DDS4 8-tape autochangers. The latter are often available
brand new on eBay for only $100 or so and will back up far more data
without user intervention than a single-tape DAT72 drive.

Then there is the media cost. IIRC, DAT72 tapes are disproportionately
mere expensive. I paid $3.50 each for my last lot of IBM-branded DDS4 tapes.

And although the drive-to-tape transfer speed *may be* (I'm guessing)
higher for DAT72 than for DDS4, that will still be the limiting factor.
I doubt very much whether the SATA interface will confer any benefit
compared to a drive with a SCSI interface.

And all this assumes that BA2K will in fact talk to one of these SATA
drives. The only way to find out is for somebody to try it,

Perce

0
Percival
3/24/2009 3:05:24 PM
On 03/23/09 09:25 pm Mike Luther wrote:

> I'm curious. The old BA2KSV server pro product can handle, so said, both
> virtually any kind of SCSI DAT and IDE DAT tape drive units, per the
> documentation for it. I'm wondering if by change, since the very good
> DANIA506 device driver can handle most any of the old ATA and SATA drive
> requirements, might the current SATA DAT tape drives be serviced with it?
>
> Suggested to me was the Quantum DAT72 CD72H-SBU DAT tape backup drive
> unit. The current Seagate SATA hard drives currently provide data
> throughput service even faster than the Adaptec 29160 card and driver,
> which is actually better than the 2940U2W card if you set the Adaptec
> IBM DDVR AIC driver service with it to the 160 throughput level with
> Adaptec's setup program.
>
> If we could use the Quantum DAT tape drive on SATA with the BA2KSV
> program, that would cut down a lot of cost for a tape backed unit. And
> per the reliability figures shown me, the newer NCQ extra-reliable SATA
> Seagate drives have really close reliability to the SCSI units they have.
>
> Thoughts?

Did you ever buy one of those SATA DAT 72 drives and try it with BA2K
Server?

Perce

0
Percival