[9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc)

------=_Part_63992_24920993.1223483737771

Hello,

is that an intention that acme does not recognize " (or "", not so sure
about  '''chk' ) to be a name of a valid file? At least " and "" seems to me
to be a valid file name, but clicking on it with button 3 in acme doesn't
work --- file is not opened. Only explicit use of Get opens it.

Thanks
Ruda

------=_Part_63992_24920993.1223483737771

------=_Part_63992_24920993.1223483737771--

comp.os.plan9 9252 articles. 2 followers. quanstro (3876) is leader. Post Follow

It's the plumber that decides. If you want those characters to be understood as
file name characters in general - and you really don't, whatever you think now;
consider what happens when you click on "includefile.h" - then change the
plumbing rules.

-rob

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is that an intention that acme does not recognize " (or "", not so sure
> about  '''chk' ) to be a name of a valid file? At least " and "" seems to me
> to be a valid file name, but clicking on it with button 3 in acme doesn't
> work --- file is not opened. Only explicit use of Get opens it.
>
> Thanks
> Ruda

0
robpike (159)
10/8/2008 5:09:55 PM
> is that an intention that acme does not recognize " (or "", not so sure
> about  '''chk' ) to be a name of a valid file? At least " and "" seems to me
> to be a valid file name, but clicking on it with button 3 in acme doesn't
> work --- file is not opened. Only explicit use of Get opens it.

They are very odd file names.  Rather than pollute your
plumbing rules, you can type something like

  New ""

in acme and then execute it to open the file.

Russ

0
rsc (1808)

'quote' to `quote'
Hi, what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally into `shocking', said Sally automatically as Tex read the author.txt file? Does this method also change "whatever happens," he said into ``whatever happens.'' he said. David R David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote: > what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally > into `shocking', said Sally > automatically as Tex read the > author.txt file? It is possible (e.g. via an active '). But I suspect, this is a lot easier using a script language or similar. Also you should consider ['s] coming from genitive and other uses of the apostrophe. Yours sincerely Heiko <oberdiek@uni-freiburg.de> David R wrote: > what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally > into `shocking', said Sally > automatically as Tex read the > author.txt file? Tricky thing to do on the TeX level because you can't tell a quote from an apostrophe in a reliable and efficient way. This will probably require pre-processing of author.txt (it's no big deal with regular expressions). > Does this method also change "whatever happens," he said > into ``whatever happens.'' he said. Assuming you're using Latex: try the csquotes package. See \MakeOuterQuote{"} in the tutorial. -- Sender address blackholed; do not reply to From: address. You can still reach me by email at: plehman gmx net. On Wed, 10 Ja...

expect script : "expect 'X', send 'Y'" until expect "Z".
Hi. I am having some difficulties with an expect script, and was hoping someone could help me out here. I am running a scripted telnet session to some 'black box' appliance, and would like to retrieve the output of a particular command. However, the output of the command is longer than a single screen full. Since it was designed for interactive use, you get the magic string "[=More (xx%)=]" after each screenfull of output, at which point the command expects you to hit the spacebar in order to get another screenfull of output. Of course, I could just "send <space>" a few times, but since I have no idea how long the output will be in advance, this does not appear to be such a good approach. It looks like I would have to do something were I keep sending a space as long as I keep getting/expecting the string "[=More (xx%)=]", and stop doing that after I have gotten/expected the prompt again. (which is "% "). Does anyone have any idea on how to do such a thing in expect ? Of course, other suggestions to tackle the same problem are welcome as well of course. Sincerely, John Smith. "J.Smith" <lbalbalba@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:737da4e2.0410200305.1f12696f@posting.google.com... > Hi. > > > I am having some difficulties with an expect script, and was hoping > someone could help me out here. > > > I am running a scripted telnet session to some 'black box' applianc...

"Select" & "Order By" OK- ''WHERE'' Does'nt Work !
Before i post actual code, as i need a speedyish reply. Can i first ask if anyone knows off the top of their head, if there is a likely obvious cause to the following problem. For the moment i've reduced my form request to a simple text string entry, instead of my desired optional parameters. As i have been stuck with a single unfathomable glitch for over a year. Basically, if i enter queries such as ; "select * from table" "select * from table order by artist", it works perfectly. However if i introduce the 'where' option, as in "select * from table where artist like whatever". It comes back with "could not execute query". This happens even if i append "order by" to it. I'll post all the various codes if anyone can please help. On 31-Oct-2003, i.justice@onmail.co.uk (ian justice) wrote: > Before i post actual code, as i need a speedyish reply. > Can i first ask if anyone knows off the top of their head, if there is > a likely obvious cause to the following problem. > For the moment i've reduced my form request to a simple text string > entry, instead of my desired optional parameters. As i have been stuck > with a single unfathomable glitch for over a year. > Basically, if i enter queries such as ; > "select * from table" "select * from table order by artist", > it works perfectly. However if i introduce the 'where' option, as in > "select *...

Re: Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''')
Russell Nelson wrote: > If you need to put a single quote in, then you put > an arbitrary string in-between the single quotes which does NOT > appear in the string. For example, "Bill's house" becomes > 'x'Bill's house'x'. So possible examples might be: 'xx'somebody's mother'xx' 'xy'somebody's father'xy' 'wink'somebody's uncle'wink' 'quote'somebody's body'quote' not terrible easy on the eyes, and why use the single quote at all? Why no= t use a similar pattern li...

Re: Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''') #2
Russell Nelson notes: > = > Choose poor examples, and then criticize them as poor choices? > = true enough, but the suggested scheme introduces another variable into the = language syntax; I might always make good choices <wink> on what delimiter = I choose, but I might also end up working on code written by someone else w= ho makes less good choices. Or vice versa. = > Exactly. It really would be better to have one(1) string literal > which can quote anything without reverting to backslashing. Why one? > Simpler parsing, simpler learning of the language, fewe...

Unable to identify an operator '*=' for types 'character varying[]' and '"unknown"'
Okay.I'm following the documentation that came with the PostgreSQL source code (located in /usr/doc/postgresql-7.3.4-2/html/arrays.hmtl in my cygwin root). I created have a table with a varchar array in it, kind of like the following: CREATE TABLE tbl_db_usuario_detalles (NOMBRE varchar(50), COD_USE varchar(6)[]); I've added a single record that has two values. It is imported from a tab-separated text file that has one line, like the following: Username {xxxxxx,yyyyyy} The import seems to work fine (if I put quotes around the string values in the array it fails). ...

method="POST" changes '.' to '_'

"cannot convert parameter from 'short **' to 'void **'"
int func(void**); { short* p = NULL; func(&p); //<<< here } Could somebody remind me why is this not allowed ? error message: "cannot convert parameter from 'short **' to 'void **'" Thanks, Igor On 2005-11-22, Igor Okulist <igor@remove_this_okulist.com> wrote: > int func(void**); > > { > short* p = NULL; > func(&p); //<<< here > } > > Could somebody remind me why is this not allowed ? error > message: "cannot convert parameter from 'short **' to 'void > **'" ...

Re: Unable to identify an operator '*=' for types 'character varying[]' and '"unknown"'
Okay...I answered my own question. I didn't understand from the directions that I had to compile and install the dll in contrib/array and run the array_iterator.sql. It works like a charm now. Mike -----Original Message----- From: Mike Leahy [mailto:mgleahy@fes.uwaterloo.ca] Sent: October 10, 2003 3:41 PM To: 'pgsql-general@postgresql.org' Subject: Unable to identify an operator '*=' for types 'character varying[]' and '"unknown"' Okay.I'm following the documentation that came with the PostgreSQL source code (located in /u...

'It's Alive!' WebOS "more open" than iOS
Apparently webOS will continue. At least that's the latest from HP. ~~ 'It's Alive!' Says HP Exec of WebOS HP may be out of the tablet hardware business but, it's holding on to its software presence in the market. "The WebOS is not dead," declares Stephen Dewitt, senior vice president of Palm, which is owned by HP. DeWitt made the comment to Bloomberg following the announcement by HP that it was discontinuing its TouchPad tablet computer, which is based on WebOS, and was dumping its inventory of the devices at fire sale prices. Wi-Fi Models with 16GB of storage were priced at $99, down from $399, and models with 32GB of storage for $149, down from $499. .... One of WebOS's selling points -- compared to something like Apple's iOS, for example -- is its openness, DeWitt told Bloomberg. It's a strategy that's already worked in the market, most notably with Google's Android operating system."If you want to jump into the Apple ecosystem and be one of the gazillion in there and live by Apple's rules, so be it," DeWitt said. "Our strategy is to be more open, to be a platform that has extensibility to other environments—not the closed architecture." Whatever lies in store for the operating system in the future, the Palm exec told Bloomberg: "We're going to continue to evolve it, update and support it. We stand by it." ~~ http://tinyurl.com/3dos5kx We'll see. Right now it do...

"Method 'Controls' of ojbect 'CommandBarPopup' failed" ?
I get this error every so often. Some bogus error number (such as -2147467259), too. Google searches imply that it can be caused by manually adding/deleting menu items on the fly, but it happens to me when a modal form is active and a timer function fires. Some of the code it runs (not sure what exactly) breaks it. Part of the menus are then hosed (i.e., you click and it doesn't "drop down", even if there are items in there). The only "solution" I've found is to resort to a backup and re-code everything since that point. Can anyone help me find a better solution than this? It might help to see the relevant code. "Jon" <None@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:kbqnqv0d8g7spes9f839vb9nkb4ipf6jlh@4ax.com... > I get this error every so often. Some bogus error number (such as > -2147467259), too. > > Google searches imply that it can be caused by manually > adding/deleting menu items on the fly, but it happens to me when a > modal form is active and a timer function fires. Some of the code it > runs (not sure what exactly) breaks it. Part of the menus are then > hosed (i.e., you click and it doesn't "drop down", even if there are > items in there). > > The only "solution" I've found is to resort to a backup and re-code > everything since that point. > > Can anyone help me find a better solution than this? ...

ABF "error: expected identifier or '(' before '=' token"
When trying to compile an ABF application on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4,Intel(R) Xeon(R) and II 9.1.2 (int.lnx/ 100)NPTL, I get the following errors : "Processing form 'ylxo60701p' . . . Forcing compilation to create object file. Compiling '218688.c' . . . 218688.c:1420: error: expected identifier or '(' before '=' token E_AB001E Compilation failed" I've found out that the form in question (218688.c) is missing the global FRAME identifier here : FRAME * = { &_form0 }; which should be replaced wi...

Quotes from the 'tolerant', 'liberal', 'progressive' Left
"I hope his wife feeds him lots of eggs and butter and he dies early like many black men do, of heart disease. ... He is an absolutely reprehensible person." --USA Today Columnist Julianne Malveaux on Justice Clarence Thomas "If there is...justice, he'll get AIDS, or one of his grandchildren will get it." --National Public Radio's (NPR) Nina Totenberg on Sen. Jesse Helms "[I]t may take the destruction of Western Civilization to allow the rest of the world to really emerge as a free and brotherly society." --Newly elected president of that hot-bed of co...

'Here's the thing about Apple's "recent"�success.'
'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the world, second most profitable company in the world, most profitable retail stores in the world, best-selling smart phone, second best-selling smart phone, best-selling tablet computer, etc. Other numbers have not changed: customer satisfaction, customer loyalty, consumer ratings, etc.' <http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/heres-the-thing-about-apples-r ecent-success/> -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun) "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:alangbaker-70BC8E.10314523092011@news.shawcable.net... 'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the wor...

FSF Says "No" to Mono and Microsoft 'Community' 'Promise'

Environ("username") / Dev Ashish's "fOSUserName" function return '#Name?' on some clients
I am trying to retrieve the user name (network login) of clients running a local Access DB. We use Access 2000 / 2003 and Windows XP SP 2. I have used 2 different ways to access this information from within Access: OPTION 1: Use Environ("username") OPTION 2: Use Dev Ashish's code (http://www.mvps.org/access/api/ api0008.htm) Both options seem to behave exactly the same for me. But this is my problem: On some clients I correctly retrieve the network login name and on some other clients I retrieve '#Name?'. On ALL clients though, if you you open command prompt and execute 'echo %username%' you get the correct answer - even on the clients that I get the '#Name?' answer. I suspect I have some missing reference somewhere in the clients that can't display the username correctly but I don't know how to go about it. Any assistance is appreciated. ...

Why doesn't Python's "robotparser" like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file?
For some reason, Python's parser for "robots.txt" files doesn't like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file: >>> import robotparser >>> url = 'http://wikipedia.org/robots.txt' >>> chk = robotparser.RobotFileParser() >>> chk.set_url(url) >>> chk.read() >>> testurl = 'http://wikipedia.org' >>> chk.can_fetch('Mozilla', testurl) False >>> The Wikipedia robots.txt file passes robots.txt validation, and it doesn't disallow unknown browsers. But the Python pars...

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y" tells you whether x and y actually refer to the same object. In the case of singletons like None (there's only one None object), it's better to use "is". "ElChino" <elchino@cnn.cn>: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: Do the following: take two $10 bills. Hold one bill in the left hand, hold the other bill in the right hand. Now, the bill in the left hand "is not" the bill in the right hand. However, the bill in the left hand "==" the bill in the right hand. > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. In almost all cases, both tests would result in the same behavior. However, the "is not" test is conceptually the correct one since you want...

'^=' and '~='?

Compile time error: "error: 'write_n' is not a member of 'ACE'"
Hi All, ACE VERSION: 5.5.6 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: LINUX, Kernel 2.6.19-1.2288.fc5, i686 I tried to compile the program given below, but was giving following compilation error: Please help me to compile this proram --------------------------------------- COMPILATION------------------------------------------ [root@paresh ACE_MSG_BLOCK]# g++ main.C -o main -lACE -IACE_ROOT main.C: In function 'int main(int, char**)': main.C:9: error: 'read_n' is not a member of 'ACE' main.C:20: error: 'write_n' is not a member of 'ACE' ----------------------------------END COMPILATION-------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------PROGRAM main.C--------------------------------------------- #include "ace/OS.h" #include "ace/Message_Block.h" int main(int argc, char* argv[]) { ACE_Message_Block *head = new ACE_Message_Block(BUFSIZ); ACE_Message_Block *mblk = head; for(;;) { ssize_t nbytes = ACE::read_n(ACE_STDIN, mblk- >wr_ptr(), mblk->size()); if(nbytes <= 0) break; mblk->wr_ptr(nbytes); mblk->cont(new ACE_Message_Block(BUFSIZ)); mblk = mblk->cont(); } for(mblk = head; mblk != 0/*NULL POINTER*/; mblk = mblk- >cont()) { ACE::write_n(ACE_STDOUT, mblk-&g...

ERROR: "Method 'Connection' of object '_Current Project' failed."
I have created a front-end application and back-end database. Everytime that I opened the program in the past, it open just fine with no errors when linking to the back-end tables. lately, I get the following error message whenever I open my application: ERROR: "Method 'Connection' of object '_Current Project' failed. Check to see if you installed the tables used for storing data is in the default directory. -2147024769 After clicking, "OK", my application continues on to open anyway. I have checked the application to determine if the intended location for the link tables where in view and relinked them to be sure. Each of the forms continue to show data from the backend. But, I continue to get the above error message. Any clues? John ...

How to solve "Tables or functions 'inserted' and 'inserted' have the same exposed names. "
Hi all! In a insert-trigger I have two joins on the table named inserted. Obviously this construction gives a name collition beetween the two joins (since both joins starts from the same table) Ofcourse I thougt the using bla JOIN bla ON bla bla bla AS a_different_name would work, but it does not. Is there a nice solution to this problem? Any help appriciated You are correct that you need to use an alias. The syntax requires the "AS alias" immediately after the table name: SELECT * FROM x AS A JOIN x AS B ON A.z = B.z JOIN x AS C ON A.z = B.z If you need more help, please post your code and explain what the problem is. Do you get an error message? -- David Portas SQL Server MVP -- ...

solution to ""ERROR: Output argument 'a' was not assigned during call to 'xlim'": Link to download xlim.m/ylim.m is not updated
Hi, I found technical solution to download new fixed xlim.m/ylim.m files in this adress: http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-19WWP/index.html?product=CO&solution=1-19WWP However they refering to a link to get the fixed files - but the link is not available any more. Do you know where I can download those files from? Thanks, Gilad "Gilad Asseraf" <gilad_asseraf@amat.com> wrote in message news:hsr9v6$333$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi, > I found technical solution to download new fixed xlim.m/ylim.m files in > this adress: &g...

Dev C++ Err "expected `]' before ';' token" / source "DWORD rtec_Stack[XYZ_SIZE] __attribute__((aligned(4)));"
In Dev C++, we tried to compile a application, but it will throw some peculiar error. please find it below "path/main.cpp expected `]' before ';' token" and the source code is "DWORD rtec_Stack[XYZ_SIZE] __attribute__((aligned(4)));" is this problem of envirnment or else? nagaraj wrote: > In Dev C++, we tried to compile a application, but it will throw some > peculiar error. please find it below > > "path/main.cpp expected `]' before ';' token" and the source code is > "DWORD rtec_Stack[XYZ_SIZE] __attribute__((align...

Web resources about - [9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc) - comp.os.plan9