[9fans] Any Israeli Plan 9 users?

So, in the same spirit as the earlier mail... Are there any Plan 9
users in Israel?  I live near Modi'in and work in Jerusalem, so those
are the most convenient areas for me but other travel in order to meet
is not unreasonable.

Much thanks,

Arnold (Aharon) Robbins

0
arnold
9/1/2013 2:02:44 PM
comp.os.plan9 9252 articles. 1 followers. quanstro (3876) is leader. Post Follow

--089e0111bcfa78230d04e56442a1

Mostly Sam and now ACME user with interest in learning more about Plan9,
but from Israel.

--
Erez

Dentro: an outliner with an agenda
http://erezschatz.github.com/dentro/

--089e0111bcfa78230d04e56442a1

lt;<a href=3D"mailto:arnold@skeeve.com" target=3D"_blank">arnold@skeeve.com=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">So, in the same spirit as the earlier mail..=
.. Are there any Plan 9<br>
users in Israel? =A0I live near Modi&#39;in and work in Jerusalem, so those=
are the most convenient areas for me but other travel in order to meet<br>
is not unreasonable.<br>
Much thanks,<br>
Arnold (Aharon) Robbins<br>
r><br>Dentro: an outliner with an agenda<br><a href=3D"http://erezschatz.gi=
thub.com/dentro/" target=3D"_blank">http://erezschatz.github.com/dentro/</a=

--089e0111bcfa78230d04e56442a1--

0
moonbuzz

[9fans] Inferno's mk copy on Mac OS X vs Plan 9 from User Space
The mk that comes with Inferno "fails to fail" when building Inferno sources on my Intel Mac on Mac OS X. The mk in Plan 9 from User Space doesn't appear to have this problem. Does anyone know of any specific differences between the two? I wonder if I could use P9P's mk to help me get through my recompile of Inferno for Mactels. Dave On 4/10/06, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote: > The mk that comes with Inferno "fails to fail" when building Inferno > sources on my Intel Mac on Mac OS X. The mk in Plan 9 from User Space > doesn't appe...

Re: [9fans] Re: [inferno-list] Inferno's mk copy on Mac OS X vs Plan 9 from User Space
i think that p9p mk uses /bin/sh to execute commands for bootstrapping reasons (it's rather difficult to mk rc with mk using rc for a command interpreter.) but otherwise it would be nice if mk used rc. p9p is faithful enough to plan 9 that often changing the mkfile is the most difficult part of porting something from plan 9 to p9p. - erik On Tue Apr 11 20:16:54 CDT 2006, forsyth@terzarima.net wrote: > > i'm fairly sure now that it's a difference between bash and other sh in handling -e, > > i'm certain: (command-list) doesn't cause bash to exit if the list r...

Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Go (Was: GNU/Linux/Plan 9 disto)
Does Go use things that are bison-specific? If not, maybe Berkeley Yacc (there are various versions around) would be easier to port. Arnold On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 05:36:42AM +0000, arnold@skeeve.com wrote: > > Does Go use things that are bison-specific? If not, maybe Berkeley Yacc > (there are various versions around) would be easier to port. > That's why I ask about Bison experts, it's hard to tell how deep the usage of bison-specific features goes without some familiarity. I do suspect that there is a whole generation of programmers out there that only knows the ...

[9fans] fossil in Plan 9 from User Space
I'm wondering if/when fossil might become part of plan9port. I found only a thread from 2007 mentioning that it had not been ported. It is of particular interest to me because I'm preparing various machines (which are not supported by Plan 9) to manage data on dedicated disks. My thought was to use Plan 9 from User Space, under BSD or Linux as necessary (defending upon hardware support), and fossil to provide a consistent interface to these dedicated disks, and to ensure portability (in case the disks were moved to new platform; to avoid migrating the data to a new file system). -9f...

[9fans] Plan 9 and Inferno users at What The Hack
Good day. Some Plan 9 and Inferno users will be at What The Hack[0], a "outdoor hacker conference/event taking place on a large event-campground in the south of The Netherlands from 28 until 31 July 2005." The 9fans will have a own village, called "Glenda Village"[1][2], with free beer, a Plan 9 network running and some presentations around Plan 9. Everyone is invited to join us and be converted to Glenda. ;) Sincerely, Christoph [0] http://www.whatthehack.org [1] http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/What_the_Hack/ [2] http://wiki.whatthehack.org/WTW/index.php/Glenda...

[9fans] size of Plan 9 user base
one way to estimate the size of a software's user base is to measure the volume of traffic on mailing lists devoted to the software. so, here's some statistics about the 9fans mailing list, created by looking at the file size information on the 9fans archive web page http://bio.cse.psu.edu/~schwartz/9fans/ from Dec 2002 through May of this year, the latest month for which the web page has information, there was 5.0 "megs" of traffic on the list. that volume of traffic is about the same as that of the first 6 months of 2002 (5.05 megs) and the first 6 months of 2001 (5.11 ...

OS 9 users
For those that are for now still working in OS9 only, are there any specific advantages to updating to 9.2 over staying with 9.1? I was once told that 9.2 only addressed Carbon compatibility for using in the Classic environment of OSX. Any idea if this is true, and if not, specifically what extensions/control panels etc. is anyone aware of that have improvements applicable to 9? This also includes a few desktop accessories which I recall also were issued with 9.2 labels. Some items have 9.2 labels but the same creation/modification dates as the 9.1 versions. thanks for any input. -gg I...

Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Go (Was: GNU/Linux/Plan 9 disto) #2
If it's bison -y -d then maybe even Plan 9 Yacc would work. The bison dist has a manual, probably even with an index, in which you can look up suspicious constructs and decide if they can be safely tossed or not. Thanks, Arnold ...

[9fans] os news: plan 9 on bg/l
http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=18102 And, the usual clueless comments. You put an os on this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Gene and somebody wants a GUI? ron I don't know why the obsession with how an os/app looks... The post is about having Plan 9 ported to one cool supercomputing platform... And there goes the "GUI" comment... A friend of mine is serious about porting a "well known window manager" to Plan 9... I thought it was a joke but yesterday he called me to tell me that he had started to do some stuff... (Generic stuff) Anyway... Happy news! BG...

[9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes)
I haven't seen this, please excuse the re-post: From: lucio Date: Thu Nov 23 19:11:22 SAT 2006 To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu Subject: [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes) > As a newbie i also found difficulty in installing inferno on plan9. > the inferno's install.pdf is not comprehensive enough ( like your > install notes) Let me grab my chance right here. I get: term% emu ; wm/wm attachwindow: cannot handle window depth specifier x8r8g8b8 wmlib: can't allocate Display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: '/usr/inferno/dev/draw' file does not exis...

[9fans] Tokyo Inferno / Plan 9 Users Group
Hi, does anybody knows what happened to the Tokyo Inferno / Plan 9 Users Group? I've been trying to reach their web page and their very useful mordor plan 9 server but both seem to be down. BTW, maybe there is someone offering access to a plan 9 installation closer to Italy? Saludos -- Hugo 2009/4/16 hugo rivera <uair00@gmail.com>: > BTW, maybe there is someone offering access to a plan 9 installation > closer to Italy? There's http://www.9grid.it but I don't know what sort of access it provides... -sqweek ...

[9fans] Help for home user discovering Plan 9
We have three Windows laptops in our family. I've been using free software systems off and on for years. Last week I learned about Plan 9 from Bell Labs, from someone in a Linux Questions forum. Now I have it installed on a partition on my laptop, along with XP, Ubuntu-on-NTFS, Debian, and Slackware. I've learned to access a fat partition, change the font size, and use Acme. Now I need to learn how to set up a wireless connection to the family router network, access my files on my wife's Vista laptop, and browse the Internet. My wireless card is not listed in Plan9.ini. Does that ...

[9fans] 9pm/Plan 9 kernel in user space
Hello! I'm very new to Plan 9, just installed three or so Inferno's, a PC with Plan 9 and a QEMU instance under Linux with Plan 9. As a systems/network administrator in a small software company I'm interested in simple mainenance and setup of file shares in a heterogeneous environment: Linux, Windows, some BSD's,... 9P2000, fossil and venti look great to me in this respect, however there are lots of missing pieces to get a pure 9P driven environment working, especially on the MS-Windows side. While playing around with Plan 9 and Inferno at home, and with OpenVZ at work, the...

Re: [9fans] Help for home user discovering Plan 9
Thanks to everyone for all the information and ideas! At first I was going to try to make Plan 9 my all-purpose system on this laptop, but for now it looks like I'll just be using it to learn more about networking and distributed systems. I've tried using virtual machines in Windows before to run other operating systems, and I've always ended up installing them independently in their own partitions, but I may have to use Plan 9 on a virtual machine if that's the only way I can connect to our family network. First I just want to get comfortable and develop some skills in the P...

Web resources about - [9fans] Any Israeli Plan 9 users? - comp.os.plan9

GSoC (Plan 9 wiki)
Open source distributed operating system Plan 9 from Bell Labs.

[9fans] SO for plan9?
9fans archive / 2000 / 06 / 529 prev next search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: ...

Blog Archive
John Floren Home - Blog 2012 12/22 - Disassembling MyVu Shades 301 Video Glasses - ( Comments ) 9/27 - Found some old RIT pictures - ( Comments ...

Nielsen research: Social media impressions in Facebook ads
AdvertisingEffectiveness: Understanding the Value of a Social Media Impression APRIL 2010 INSIDE: …

Plan 9 from User Space
quotes - docs - repo - golang - sam - man - acme - Glenda - 9times - harmful - 9P - cat-v.org Related sites: - site updates - site map - man(1) ...

9fans archive /
9fans archive / search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: lines before: yyyy ...

[9fans] 9pi
9fans archive / 2012 / 08 / 129 prev next search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: ...