[9fans] Include guards and multiple includes

0
plalonde (269)
10/20/2006 6:48:58 PM
comp.os.plan9 9252 articles. 1 followers. quanstro (3876) is leader. Post Follow

> Is there some study kicking around that I could point them at rather
> than re-factor our code base and time the resulting builds?  I know
> the plan9 headers largely follow this pattern.

I'm fairly certain it's a stylistic/maintainability issue on Plan 9,
not an efficiency one.

--Joel
0
joelcsalomon (309)
10/20/2006 7:28:17 PM
I think that one of the best arguments for organising header files as
Plan 9 does is the mess that /usr/include has become on (l)unix.  It's
almost 20MB on Suse 9.1.

Here's an interesting exercise for people who don't see a problem with
how (l)unix organises /usr/include:

Ask someone (ideally a manager, the higher the rank, the better) to
find out where under /usr/include on Linux the type time_t is defined
and the signal SIGINT is declared without using grep or any
equivalent; they should trace through the include files visually.  If
they return with the correct answers and aren't disgusted with the
mess under /usr/include, slap some pointy hair on them.

0
geoff755 (337)
10/20/2006 11:21:29 PM
On 10/21/06, Paul Lalonde <plalonde@telus.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to convince some non-believers that include files should
> not include other include files, and that instead they should state
> their dependencies; they want hard data before they commit to such a
> scheme.
>
> Is there some study kicking around that I could point them at rather
> than re-factor our code base and time the resulting builds?  I know
> the plan9 headers largely follow this pattern.
>
> Paul

I think this has more to do with minimising the preprocessor logic. I
like the plan 9 include tree more than the traditional unix include
mess. In my programs I dont use macros anywhere. none. nada. zero.

If one could only get rid of the preprocessor...

--
the thing i like with my linux pc is that i can sum up my complaints in 5 items

Web resources about - [9fans] Include guards and multiple includes - comp.os.plan9

Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Code division multiple access ( CDMA ) is a channel access method used by various radio communication technologies. It should not be confused ...

Brussels terrorist attacks: Multiple blasts rock airport and Maalbeek metro station
Multiple explosions have been reported at separate sites in Brussels on Tuesday morning (local time).

Brussels terrorist attacks: Multiple blasts rock airport and Maalbeek metro station
Multiple explosions have been reported at separate sites in Brussels on Tuesday morning (local time).

Five-car pile-up leaves multiple people in hospital
Five people were taken to hospital&nbsp;following a five car pile up in Canley Vale in Sydney's west on Thursday.

Brussels terrorist attacks: Multiple blasts rock airport and Maalbeek metro station
Multiple explosions have been reported at separate sites in Brussels on Tuesday morning (local time).

Medical examiner: Katy teen died from multiple gunshot wounds - abc13.com
Authorities say they have identified the body found in west Houston earlier this week as missing Katy teenager Adriana Coronado.

Belgian ministers acknowledge multiple security mistakes
The attacks in Brussels have exposed missteps by European security officials and police, just four months after the Islamic State's assault on ...

Choetech 6 port USB charger: The quick way to charge multiple devices
Having multiple mobile devices is great. Charging them? Not so much. If you need to top the battery on a few smartphones and tablets at the same ...

Terror attacks hit Belgium: Multiple explosions at Brussels airport and metro
A new wave of terrorist attacks has hit Europe, following the incidents in Ankara, Turkey. A series of explosions shocked the Brussels airport ...

Leonardo Di Caprio’s Galaxia App Encourages Having Multiple Personalities
... anything posted in that group stays in that group, and can’t be seen by those outside of it. On top of that, Galaxia users can create multiple ...