[9fans] libbio: Bgetle2(), Bgetle4(), Bputle2() and Bputle4()

The Go distribution has these new functions which are not present in
the Plan 9 library.  They seem to fit in libbio harmlessly, so I just
added them in, but in the past an analogous change was rejected (the
details escape me, but it was a long time ago).

Should I, or should I not submit a patch?  And if I do, should I
include the "be" (I'm sure "le" means "little endian") varieties?

++L

PS: There are also capitalised macros in <bio.h>, they seem similarly
harmless.

0
lucio
9/2/2013 5:24:20 AM
comp.os.plan9 9252 articles. 1 followers. quanstro (3876) is leader. Post Follow

--089e011779b5c1304104e55fd03f

do it

On 2 September 2013 15:24, <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:

> The Go distribution has these new functions which are not present in
> the Plan 9 library.  They seem to fit in libbio harmlessly, so I just
> added them in, but in the past an analogous change was rejected (the
> details escape me, but it was a long time ago).
>
> Should I, or should I not submit a patch?  And if I do, should I
> include the "be" (I'm sure "le" means "little endian") varieties?
>
> ++L
>
> PS: There are also capitalised macros in <bio.h>, they seem similarly
> harmless.

--089e011779b5c1304104e55fd03f

=3D"gmail_quote">On 2 September 2013 15:24,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:lucio@proxima.alt.za" target=3D"_blank">lucio@proxima.alt.za</a>=
&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">The Go distribution has these new functions =
which are not present in<br>
the Plan 9 library. =C2=A0They seem to fit in libbio harmlessly, so I just<=
br>
added them in, but in the past an analogous change was rejected (the<br>
details escape me, but it was a long time ago).<br>
Should I, or should I not submit a patch? =C2=A0And if I do, should I<br>
include the &quot;be&quot; (I&#39;m sure &quot;le&quot; means &quot;little =
endian&quot;) varieties?<br>
++L<br>
PS: There are also capitalised macros in &lt;bio.h&gt;, they seem similarly=
harmless.<br>

--089e011779b5c1304104e55fd03f--

0
bruce
9/2/2013 5:26:33 AM
> do it

Thanks for the encouragemnt, Bruce.

Lucio.

0
lucio

[9fans] Plan9 as an everyday OS
--0016364273773c02e8046e5c23bf Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi all, I've just installed (with few difficulties, I must admit) a fresh Plan9 on my Dell Inspiron laptop. I played with it and I'd really like to study it and get used to it. Ideally, I would like to make it my "everyday OS", to do all the nice stuff you can do with a computer (a part from work and study), like browsing the web, watching movies and so on... Is anyone using it for such things? Is there, for example, a decent browser for Plan9 (I haven't found any)...

[9fans] using plan9 fs for archive from other OS?
at work we run a handful of Win32 servers (god help me) and a few unix servers. we're doing tape backup nightly. our full backups are at the limit of what our tape drive can deal with and are still growing. so we need to come up with a different solution. and, more to the point, i *HATE* tape backup. further, plan9's dump fs is the best backup system i've ever seen (and, along with /lib/ndb, the thing that made me fall in love with the system as a sysadmin). so... any suggestions on how to use either the old 3e fs, fossil, and/or venti to perform backups from non-plan9 systems? ...

[9fans] using plan9 fs for archive from other OS? #2
You can use cacls utility shipped with Windows or xcacls from NTResKit to store/retrieve file permissions to/from separate file and put it in your backup. - VVV - ...

Re: [9fans] using plan9 fs for archive from other OS?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --upas-msybttmwclmfahwlhraxgdnown Content-Disposition: inline Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Vac (backing up to venti) runs on windows systems. You can back up using that, though at the moment getting files back has to come via plan9. That will eventually be fixed. Of course, we don't backup exactly the windows access rights (they have a rather rich access list). --upas-msybttmwclmfahwlhraxgdnown Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Disposition: inline Received: from plan9.cs.bell-labs...

[9fans] plan9 now officially not the OS with the ugliest GUI anymore
i don't want to hear anyone complain about the plan9 gui anymore, lest they be cast into the world of LoseThos: http://www.losethos.com/ from the website: "The LoseThos IBM PC Operating System x86_64, open source, free, public domain [...] PROMISES: 1) LoseThos will always run everything in kernel mode. There is no user mode. All programs will have full access to memory, I/O ports, instructions, etc." We just need some rounded edges. http://www.creativeandlive.com/article_images/0000/1073/siggi.jpg On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:40 AM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail...

[9fans] Installing plan9 on Parallels build 6.0.12090 [Mac OS 10.6.7] kernel panic
I'm trying to install plan9 as a VM using Parallels build 6.0.12090. I'm = running Mac OS 10.6.7. I made a VM in Parallels, and set it to boot to CD first. It got up and = running, and when the installer tried to boot into sdD0, I explicitly = told 9load to boot from: sdC1!cdboot!9pccd.gz I think that the installer tried to search for USB peripherals, but = during that stage I got the following message: panic: boot process died: unknown panic: boot process died: unknown dumpstack ktrace /kernel/path f010a27c f004c34c <<EOF estackx f004c620 f004c2ec=3Df010a011 f004c2f4=3Df01db...

[9fans] Dvorak on Plan9; Plan9/Acme for Unix
I just started toying around with Plan9. Some questions: Are there ways to switch my keyboard layout, to Dvorak? If not, what file would I have to edit in what way to get a new layout? Are there Acme or even total Plan9 clones for Unix (in particular Mac OS X, but X11 windowing would be fine)? I know there's Wily, but I can't get it to compile, and the website seems kindof old/unmaintained. Are there other, still alive versions of some Acme for Unix, or of a library that emulates the Plan9 interface? > Are there Acme or even total Plan9 clones for Unix (in particular &g...

[9fans] user login / plan9 terminal on plan9
------=_Part_107711_2461596.1230148872602 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline hi, here is a quick question. let us say i am logged in as glenda or none. let us say, i want a new window in which i need to login as vdharani. how can i do this? in unix machines, i could do su, telnet or ssh and then login as new user. i am looking for something like this. years back i asked the same question and then ended up finding something like 9term which was good enough (except that as i mentioned in the other thread, if i started infern...

[9fans] plan9
------=_Part_71178_8096018.1229931834335 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline hi all, my paying job kept me busy for quite sometime. so far i couldnt spend as much time on inferno/plan9 as i wanted to. but i have taken 2 weeks off and i am happy that i will be using part of the free time to keep up with the technology (so i will be posting more!). specifically, i am trying to do this: - bring up plan9 on my Mac Mini using Parallels for Mac (4 or at least 3). - get plan9/inferno run on soekris net5501 board - miscellaneous t...

[9fans] [9fans ] What's the best access method to Plan9 from Linux
Hi all, Currently, I installed a Plan9 system on a computer while I still usually work under Debian Linux running on another computer. So I wonder how I can conveniently access the Plan9 system from my Linux box? That is, what is the best way to access Plan9 from Linux? SSH? or any other more Plan9 welcome methods? And, of course, I have tried to learn them from Plan9 wiki but feel yet difficult to understand some concepts there, such as u9fs etc. BTW: I have used ``Plan9 from user space'' port on my Linux box for a while. Is it useful to meet the mission mentioned above? Thank...

Re: [9fans] [9fans ] What's the best access method to Plan9 from Linux
> That makes me think that if there was a C to dis compiler, a full > plan9 fs (with its /dis/bin, /dis/lib) could be used from inferno. > Probably, as usual, many people know the reasons of not having such a > compiler. I don't. :) That's really two questions: 1) Why no C to dis? There are a lot of reasons why C is not a good fit to dis or to Inferno, for that matter, not the least of which is C's ability to take the address of an arbitrary object (not in the OO sense, but saying thing all the time gets old). Between that and the ability to cast between integers and...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 11:45 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 > OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 >=20 > "Main, Kerry" wrote: > > Course, there are many ways to offer differen...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')
> -----Original Message----- > From: Soterro [mailto:soterroatyahoocom@address.hp.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 9:43 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 > Main, Kerry wrote: > >>From: John Smith [mailto:a@nonymous.com]=20 > >>You aren't directly to blame for this and I know you'd like=20 > >>to keep your > >>job, but just how many times have you and your colleagues=20 > >>written carly(tm) > >>or curly or GQ Bob about this in the past? > >=20 > > Actually, I work with UNIX, Windows as well as OpenVMS.=20 > You're value to > > any corporation goes up exponentially if you know more than one OS.=20 >=20 > I think JS asked something else: is it so out of this world to think=20 > that the insiders could point their superiors to some things? >=20 > S > And you think perhaps that this does not happen? Course, there are many ways to offer different opinions within a large company, but keep in mind that every OS or platform within a company will always try and say it needs more $'s to promote/enhance itself.=20 Take a big company like IBM - what do you think an AIX field person's chances are of convincing their Mgmt to qui...

[9fans] plan9 for powermac
Heyas, I've created a website for the Plan9 PowerMac port. For now it's just a branch from my homepage, though, maybe it will end up as more, I don't know. None the less, I am committed to getting plan9 on my Power Macintosh 5400/120. The website will display the progression of the project as it matures, showing devices in a tree based ASCII format. http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_/p9ppc/index.html Don http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_ ...

[9fans] Plan9 installation
Hi, I was trying to install plan9 this weekend and ran into lot of poblems. I got many little questions in this exercise. I have listed the questions/issues below. I will be very happy if you can give your comments/answers. - first, where can i get the latest cd image? can i get the latest one in http://cm.bell-labs.com/magic/9down4e/ureg?haveread=yes&exportok=yes or "download the distribution archive" link of download section? or is that both have the latest nightly build cd image? - bootsetup seems to get confused many times. i tried with CDROM image and bootsetup reported e...

[9fans] Where to find plan9
Hi there, Where can we find the plan9 distro? Regards, rd the iso can be found here: <http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download/plan9.iso.bz2> the home page <http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/> doesn't seem to be working at the moment google should be enough... http://9fans.net should be the result of your search... But then... Am I the only one unable to reach 9fans.net? cheers! On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Riza Dindir <rdindir@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi there, > > Where can we find the plan9 distro? > > Regards, > rd > > > &...

[9fans] plan9 security...
I was with some friend commenting on security in plan 9 and we found some breach in security, at least the way it is used here. I don't know if this is a problem of the (awful) topology of our net or a real breach. Here we have a fileserver which serves the kernel for the terminals on dhcp. Terminals boot diskless. The problem here is that all the net taps in the University can form part of our subnet. VPNs are generated dinamically looking at the addresses which come from all the taps. The thing is that someone can do a DoS attack on the fileserver, answer for it the dhcp request (i...

[9fans] Plan9 for a newbie
O.K., I've got Plan 9 running as a guest on XP using Qemu. Seems to run fine and is not unusably slow. I'm at the stage of: "Hmm, not sure what's going on here - it's all pretty different to Linux (which I'm quite familiar with). I'm sure there must be interesting things to find out, but I don't really know where to start" I need some guidance to take me to: "Gosh, I quite like this way of doing things, let's find out more!" and hopefully to: "Wow, this is mind blowing - why don't all O.S.es do it this way?" Can anyone ...

[9fans] plan9 laptop
Hi. I shall buy a laptop soon and I'd like to run plan9 on it with support for the graphics card, mouse, modem, ethernet card and sound card -- in that order of preference. I'm assuming that the cpu, memory, keyboard, etc. are likely to be compatible ;) I have not had success with the modems or the sound cards in any of the computers I have used for plan9 so far. That is, I am not confident that I could make these work on a laptop for which this is possible. Therefore, I may not recognize a compatible laptop when I see one ;) Is there a kernel configuration and a collection of...

[9fans] Plan9 Intro
Hi All! During last half a year I see pretty active interconnection in this news. That means your comunity is alive. It's great! If I want to start work with Plan9 or Inferno where can I receive first info specially for newbies? From very start! Thank you. Wlad > If I want to start work with Plan9 or Inferno where can I receive first > info specially for newbies? From very start! http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/index.html Read the introductive papers and the wiki. Tiit Lankots wrote: >> If I want to start work with Plan9 or Inferno where can I receive &...

[9fans] VirtualBox and Plan9
Has anyone else tried grabbing the latest Plan9 ISO (from the website) and installing it via VirtualBox v2.2 ? I got only as far as: kfs...<caret> And the whole thing just stalled and hung at that point, so I am hoping that someone can point me to the wrong vbox settings that I am using. I am trying this from a Vista box. Please don't say go to a different OS and try again. :-) Regards, Mon I've had similar problems on OS X, so I think it's a problem with VirtualBox, not Vista. I got past initial configuration and installation, but the system consistently froze whe...

[9fans] Plan9 ezine
Hi folks, anyone here interested in helping on a little plan9-related eZine ? I've set up an joomla for it, and I also can provide an integrated video hosting (venti-based ;-p). No content yet, suggestions or contributions appreciated :) http://landofnine.metux.de/ cu -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/ phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de mobile: +49 174 7066481 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666 ----------------------------------------------------------------...

[9fans] Plan9 BOF
can someone post a summary? On 6/21/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote: > can someone post a summary? > There was a vendor that left beer and wine for us, so there were half-drunken demos (which are better than drunken half-demos) of the Blue Gene stuff and some discussions about why we are doing it. We talked briefly about the GSoC projects (mostly just making folks aware of them). I think Lucho meant to bring up more of the stuff he's doing with KVM, but it probably wasn't the right crowd. -eric ...

[9fans] Plan9 topology
Just read: http://lsub.org/magic/man2html/1/0intro [quote] Plan 9 is a distributed computing environment assembled from separate machines acting as terminals, CPU servers, and file servers.[/quote] Does the above imply, that ideally Plan9 should be running on a LAN? Not so good as the OS on a stand-alone box? -- Duke On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Duke Normandin wrote: > Just read: > > http://lsub.org/magic/man2html/1/0intro > > [quote] > Plan 9 is a distributed computing environment assembled from separate > machines acting as terminals, CPU servers, and file servers.[/quote...

Web resources about - [9fans] libbio: Bgetle2(), Bgetle4(), Bputle2() and Bputle4() - comp.os.plan9

GSoC (Plan 9 wiki)
Open source distributed operating system Plan 9 from Bell Labs.

[9fans] SO for plan9?
9fans archive / 2000 / 06 / 529 prev next search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: ...

Blog Archive
John Floren Home - Blog 2012 12/22 - Disassembling MyVu Shades 301 Video Glasses - ( Comments ) 9/27 - Found some old RIT pictures - ( Comments ...

Nielsen research: Social media impressions in Facebook ads
AdvertisingEffectiveness: Understanding the Value of a Social Media Impression APRIL 2010 INSIDE: …

Plan 9 from User Space
quotes - docs - repo - golang - sam - man - acme - Glenda - 9times - harmful - 9P - cat-v.org Related sites: - site updates - site map - man(1) ...

9fans archive /
9fans archive / search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: lines before: yyyy ...

[9fans] 9pi
9fans archive / 2012 / 08 / 129 prev next search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: ...