[9fans] p9p for Mac OS X

--S1BNGpv0yoYahz37

Dear List,

I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its
defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font
files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is
anyone on this list using p9p on Mac OS X? If yes, what's been our
solution for this issue?

Kind regards,

Christian

--=20
You may use my gpg key for replies:
pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

--S1BNGpv0yoYahz37

--S1BNGpv0yoYahz37--
comp.os.plan9 9252 articles. 1 followers. quanstro (3876) is leader. Post Follow

i use p9p under macos x too. i format the disk
with a case sensitive filesystem.

mind you, i think i must have used it with a case insensitive
filesystem before, and it just worked. i guess i didn't use
those troff font files.

  cheers,
    rog.

On Jan 31, 2008 10:40 AM, Christian Kellermann
<Christian.Kellermann@nefkom.net> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its
> defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font
> files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is
> anyone on this list using p9p on Mac OS X? If yes, what's been our
> solution for this issue?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Christian
>
> --
> You may use my gpg key for replies:
> pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

0
rogpeppe (244)
1/31/2008 11:26:47 AM
--RYJh/3oyKhIjGcML

* roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> [080131 12:29]:
> i use p9p under macos x too. i format the disk
> with a case sensitive filesystem.
>=20
> mind you, i think i must have used it with a case insensitive
> filesystem before, and it just worked. i guess i didn't use
> those troff font files.
>=20

I just noticed because I did a mercurial checkout and this is failing...

--=20
You may use my gpg key for replies:
pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

--RYJh/3oyKhIjGcML

--RYJh/3oyKhIjGcML--
> I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its
> defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font
> files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is
> anyone on this list using p9p on Mac OS X? If yes, what's been our
> solution for this issue?

Converting to a case-sensitive filesystem is a quick one-click
operation from disk utility that takes less than 2 minutes. I
recommend you switch to it to avoid any further issues.

--
Anant
0
> I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its
> defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font
> files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is
> anyone on this list using p9p on Mac OS X? If yes, what's been our
> solution for this issue?

I've renamed the offending files.  I expect no one
is using Helvetica Narrow anyway.

In general p9p tries to accomodate the widest possible
number of systems -- these are the only files with
case conflicts, I believe, so it is easier to work around
them than to force everyone to modify their system
configurations.

Please let me know if you run into any other case conflicts.

Russ

0
rsc (1808)
1/31/2008 1:26:06 PM
--E7i4zwmWs5DOuDSH

* Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> [080131 14:30]:
> Please let me know if you run into any other case conflicts.

You missed at least one:
$ hg clone http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/plan9 plan9
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 2712 changesets with 15440 changes to 8264 files
abort: case-folding collision between troff/font/devutf/charlib/lH and trof=
f/font/devutf/charlib/lh

And for converting the fs I thought you can only define the case
sensitivity at fs creation time...

Thanks Russ!

Christian

--=20
You may use my gpg key for replies:
pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

--E7i4zwmWs5DOuDSH

--E7i4zwmWs5DOuDSH--

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf Changes ------- Added drawer and zoom menu commands [DWa, NRi]. Added intelligent window zooming [NRi]. Added shapefile support. Added UTF-8 support [RSc]. Added cvtgxl, gvpack and gvpr tools [BSw]. Fixed page setup then close unexpectedly invoking save dialog [PRo]. HTML-like labels now work on 10.2 (use embedded expat instead of libxml2). Improved internal frameworks (added headers, consolidated dylibs). Tracked main build of 23 June. Graphviz is still free, but I'm now accepting donations for it. Enjoy! Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta > testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance > issues for 10G on Mac OS X? The PR suggests they've been clear that the OS X release will be production quality .. though since it won't be a "volume" platform, one may wonder about this in practise. > Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G > for Mac OS X, does anybody know? From what I've seen of screenshots, I believe OEM 10g is web-based JSP, so this seems likely. But just my inference, no real info. I use remote OEM from another box on my Powerbook for now (either XWindows or Windows Remote Desktop). SQL Plus otherwise.. Cheers Stu stuartc@mac.com (Stu Charlton) wrote in message news:<21398ab6.0402020845.4f2c5027@posting.google.com>... > Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote...

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume.
Hi Group, Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book. _ Boy was this a mistake_ I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended Journaled for both paritions. Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I get the message "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume." There is a red explaination mark on the drive. I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk util program and I still have the same proble...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. On 2012-09-21 3:05 PM ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote: > Hi. > > Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife > like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! > Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 > MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one > from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to > import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his > photo(graph)s? I rec...

Mac OS X Kerberos Extras updated for Mac OS X 10.3

Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X
Don't know about hg, but `cvs up -dP' gets it done on case- INsensitive HFS+ volumes on Macs I have. Source sync tool of preference aside, I can second rog on case- sensitive HFS (or even Mac(NeXT) UFS if you like). Since both of these can be less convenient on boot volumes, a partition for the purpose, or a removable of some kind so formatted, is handy, since the filename case issue comes up in more than just p9p. -Josh ...

Mac OS X 1.0 x86 and Mac OS X 10.4 x86
I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... There should be some interesting error messages to find. I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. > > I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... I *really* doubt it. 10.0 PPC doesn't run OS X Server 1.0 PPC binaries, does it? -- "This notion that the United States is getting ready to attack Iran is simply ridiculous. And having said that, all options are on the table." -- George W. Bush in Brussels, Belgium, Feb. 22, 2005 ZnU <znu@fake.invalid> wrote: > In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, > ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > > > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. > > > > I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... > > I *really* doubt it. 10.0 PPC doesn't run OS X Server 1.0 PPC binaries, > does it? I think i...

[9fans] p9p venti tools on mac os x

54g Wireless
Hi there, I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it? Thanks Wesley Blue Wezza <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish > IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit W...

Creating a Bootable Mac OS 9 CD in Mac OS X
I have a bootable Mac OS 9 CD for an old Power Mac. I need to duplicate the System Folder with a few extra extensions and create a bootable CD for emergency reboot on the old computer. My new iMac does not run Classic. I copied the "System Folder" from the Mac OS 9 CD to the new iMac and burned a CD-R. The old Power Mac does not boot from the CD-R when I restart it holding down "C". My investigation revealed that the System Folder in a bootable CD-R must be "blessed" by turning on a boot bit or something. When I copied the System Folder to the iMac, it became unblessed. How can I turn on the boot bit on the iMac running only Mac OS X and no Classic? TIA. In article <ndurant-DD1E1D.23280828022004@news.videotron.net>, Nathalie Durant <ndurant@potentium.ca> wrote: > I have a bootable Mac OS 9 CD for an old Power Mac. I need to duplicate > the System Folder with a few extra extensions and create a bootable CD > for emergency reboot on the old computer. > > My new iMac does not run Classic. I copied the "System Folder" from the > Mac OS 9 CD to the new iMac and burned a CD-R. The old Power Mac does > not boot from the CD-R when I restart it holding down "C". > > My investigation revealed that the System Folder in a bootable CD-R must > be "blessed" by turning on a boot bit or something. When I copied the > System Folder to the iMac, it became unblessed. How...

[9fans] native graphics drawterm on Mac OS X

Help needed : Mac OS X & OS 9.x and Windows-Server
Until now we are using different Mac's running OS 9.1 and 9.2 and save our files on a Windows 2000 Server via MacServerIP (AFP over IP). In the next time we like to upgrade to OS X. Our problem: Files saved on the Server from OS 9 via AFP will be recognized by OS X as "Document" without application information. I tried to connect the Server via SMB and otherwise via AFP. When I manually used AFP ("afp://<servername>") the volume becomes visible, but if I try to select on file the file will be go away. Next time I connect to the volume the file is visible again. U...

Install OS X from OS 9.2 and OS X .dmg files
Hi, I have : * the 3 disk images .dmg "Mac OS X 10.3 Panther final install disk 1", 2 and 3 retrieved from the 'chocolate' network (Gnutella), * an iMac with Mac OS 9.2, * a CD-RW drive with HotBurn (Iomega). What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? TIA Fr�d�ric tomcat <noone@nodomain.int> wrote: > What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Buy the CDs. > Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? Integrity. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.co...

Run OS X on OS X
I have a new G5 with 4GB of RAM. I have a G3 running WebStar and the machine is showing signs of age. I would like to move it to this new machine but also use this machine for development. I was thinking I could run the webstar and related in a seperate instance of OS X and have that running while I develop in the main OS X instance. Thoughts? -Jason jason.slack@gmail.com (Slack) writes: >I was thinking I could run the webstar and related in a seperate >instance of OS X and have that running while I develop in the main OS >X instance. Sorry, I'm not familiar with webstar, ...

Porting a Mac OS 9 to Carbon Mac OS X shared library + Java Native Interface
I have ported a Mac OS 9 shared library to Mac OS X using Codewarrior 8 and the Carbon methodology. The library uses PowerPlant to display and handle a dialog box that communicates with the caller application. What are the prerequisites and steps for wrapping this library under Java Native Interface since the caller application is written in Java and Java itself cannot call methods directly from a native shared library? Are there any previous attempts, expreiences? Any obstacles? Byron ...

Porting a Mac OS 9 to Carbon Mac OS X shared library + Java Native Interface
I have ported a Mac OS 9 shared library to Mac OS X using Codewarrior 8 and the Carbon methodology. What are the prerequisites and steps for wrapping this library under Java Native Interface since the caller application is written in Java and Java itself cannot call methods directly from a native shared library? Are there any previous attempts, expreiences? Any obstacles? Byron The JNI library must be Mach-O. It must be a dylib named "lib<yourlibname>.jnilib". I'm pretty sure there is sample code for JNI libs on the Apple Developer Site. You say that your nat...

Getting GS/OS and Mac OS X talking to each other

Oracle on OS X (not OS X server)
Hi. I've downloaded the Oracle developer edition for OS X, but the requirements state OS X server. Is this really the case - has anyone successfully got it running on just a standard OS X install? I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I can't seem to find the right Google strings. Tried in comp.sys.mac.databases, but the group seems to be dead apart from the odd 4D question. Cheers, Ian I've installed it on vanilla standard Mac OS X 10.2.6 on my iBook and it works fine. (Apologies if duplicate message) Ian McCall wrote: > Hi. > > I've downloaded the Oracle developer edition for OS X, but the requirements > state OS X server. Is this really the case - has anyone successfully got it > running on just a standard OS X install? > > I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I can't seem to find the > right Google strings. Tried in comp.sys.mac.databases, but the group seems > to be dead apart from the odd 4D question. > > Cheers, > Ian > > ...

[9fans] 9pfuse on mac os x
is anyone able to use 9pfuse on mac os x 10.4 (macfuse 1.5.0)? in my case, after dial succeeds and mount_fusefs is done, 9pfuse gets stuck waiting to read from fuse device. i've verified that macfuse is working with sshfs. maybe the handshake has changed? On May 14, 6:26 pm, 9...@9netics.com (Skip Tavakkolian) wrote: > is anyone able to use 9pfuse on mac os x 10.4 (macfuse 1.5.0)? Earlier builds did work on OS X 10.4, I sure hope the macfuse team didn't move things around yet again... Though to be honest, the choice used for default locations on OS X 10.5 finally makes sense. A warning: MacFuse is very slow on network mount points. -jas ...

NT was much more stable than any version of Mac OS before OS X
[...] NT was much more stable than any version of Mac OS before OS X, but had compatibility problems. W95 was more stable than the Macs of the day if both were properly set up on decent hardware: it multitasked much better, could manage its own memory etc etc, though I'd agree that Windows 2000 was the first really good version. Jack Schofield [e] @ 2004-05-24 17:34 http://www.tecknik.net/blogback/data/bb.php?blog=3200948&post=108512236381039459 http://www.onlineblog.com/archives/2004_05_16_onlineblog_archive.html#108512236381039459 In article <2hepn6Fc149dU1@uni-berlin.de>, Daeron <daeron@demon.net> wrote: > NT was much more stable than any version of Mac OS before OS X, but had > compatibility problems. W95 was more stable than the Macs of the day if > both were properly set up on decent hardware: it multitasked much > better, could manage its own memory etc etc, though I'd agree that > Windows 2000 was the first really good version. I would agree with that but it's the stuff nobody ever talked about that negated a lot of these "advantages." Example: NT was far more stable than any Mac OS of the day (meaning classic, Mac OS 9) but that wasn't the whole story. Sure, the Mac would lock up every couple days and require a reboot whereas the NT machine wouldn't, but the NT machine was so crappy that every couple days, it would start to drag its ass, usually thanks to memory leaks or whatnot. That never happened on...

MAC OS X games on Amiga OS 4 is this possible ?
Hi, I know that there's MacOnLinux, but it would be awesome to have it ported to the Amiga OS 4 natively. Something like MacOnAmiga using the work already done in MacOnLinux. (source is provided). This would make possible to run MacOSX games on Amiga. IMHO this would make the Amiga plateform more attractive. Christian Bauer, Jim Drew, Anyone ? :) Regards kml PS war is over. Kamelito <nospam@nospam.net> wrote: > I know that there's MacOnLinux, but it would be awesome to have it > ported to the Amiga OS 4 natively. MOL has already had preparatory w...

Web resources about - [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X - comp.os.plan9

GSoC (Plan 9 wiki)
Open source distributed operating system Plan 9 from Bell Labs.

[9fans] SO for plan9?
9fans archive / 2000 / 06 / 529 prev next search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: ...

Blog Archive
John Floren Home - Blog 2012 12/22 - Disassembling MyVu Shades 301 Video Glasses - ( Comments ) 9/27 - Found some old RIT pictures - ( Comments ...

Nielsen research: Social media impressions in Facebook ads
AdvertisingEffectiveness: Understanding the Value of a Social Media Impression APRIL 2010 INSIDE: …

Plan 9 from User Space
quotes - docs - repo - golang - sam - man - acme - Glenda - 9times - harmful - 9P - cat-v.org Related sites: - site updates - site map - man(1) ...

9fans archive /
9fans archive / search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: lines before: yyyy ...

[9fans] 9pi
9fans archive / 2012 / 08 / 129 prev next search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: ...