[9fans] p9p host os recommendation

Hi Everyone,

thanks for all the help with qemu and such.  I've managed to get it
running, but it appears to completely hog my XP laptop.  So I'm
abandoning my quest for P9 in a VM for the moment.

I will now attempt at running P9P instead.  Since it runs on so many
platforms, what would people recommend I use as the host OS? Bearing
in mind that I am working in a Windows only environment with an XP
laptop, I'm looking for something I can run under VMWare.
(I've got a reasonably chunky laptop with 1.5GB and 1.7GHz.)

Essentially, which Unix variant is easiest to install on VMWare on XP
and will build P9P easily?

Thanks for any advice,
Robby

0
rrplan9 (74)
4/22/2005 2:25:09 PM
comp.os.plan9 9252 articles. 1 followers. quanstro (3876) is leader. Post Follow

connect bochs guest OS to host OS
Hi, I have a problem with bochs. I�d like zo connect the guest OS of bochs (e.g. something like DOS, IP 192.168.21.244) to the host-OS (linux, Debian, IP 192.168.21.137). I tried the following lines in /.bochsrc: ne2k: ioaddr=0x280, irq=9, mac=0b:c4:20:00:00:00, ethmod=linux, ethdev=eth0 I was able to get a connection to an other computer (e.g. 192.168.21.140) but not to my host-OS. I read some newsgroup messages, suggesting to try the tuntap or the tun device, but I had no success. Any Ideas, questions... Robert ...

[9fans] Plan9 as an everyday OS

Best OS for Ruby Dev/Best OS for Ruby Hosting
Which is the best OS to use for ruby development...My vote goes to Mac OS X? What would be considered the best environment for hosting ruby and rails? Mac? FreeBSD? Gentoo? Ruby is, I believe, primarily designed for use with Linux, although the code is highly portable. Since Linux is the primary development platform, it may also have the fastest bug fixing and the most thorough testing. As a result, your best bet for hosting would be a server-grade Linux OS such as RHEL, CentOS, or the server versions of other distributions. For development, consistency with your hosting platform may or may not be a concern. You can probably use anything here, but if your rails app relies on some more advanced libraries you may be best off with linux again, as package management makes that side of things much simpler and you can ensure that both are running exactly the same libraries. Other similar unices such as BSDs are also likely to work well. Mac OS X would OK as well. On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 05:12:23PM +0900, Rawn027 wrote: > Which is the best OS to use for ruby development...My vote goes to Mac > OS X? matz uses Debian ;-) -- Mauricio Fernandez Rawn027 <Rawn027@gmail.com> wrote: > Which is the best OS to use for ruby development...My vote > goes to Mac OS X? I have a great time developing Ruby on both OS X and FreeBSD. I don't happen to have any Linux boxen at the moment, but last time I did, it worked really well. For me, any system that has vim an...

[9fans] p9p for Mac OS X

is there possible to attack host os from guest os running on the xen or vmare?
is there possible to attack host os from guest os running on the xen or vmare? For exp , the attack gain the full control of the guest os , does he/ she have the possibility to exploit the Host OS? I remember there found a way can do so ... xi4oyu wrote: > is there possible to attack host os from guest os running on the xen > or vmare? Anything is possible (anything). > > For exp , the attack gain the full control of the guest os , does he/ > she have the possibility to exploit the Host OS? It is possible... the trick to to make sure that you keep yoursel...

[9fans] p9p OS X native resize

[9fans] p9p os x
If you run OS X, the next time you update your p9p tree and run ./INSTALL, your graphics programs will use native OS X windows instead of X11. This means that people interested in trying p9p on OS X no longer have to dig up the X11 install CD first. If you prefer X11 windows (and you might, if for example you ssh from other machines into your Mac and use X forwarding to run p9p programs), you can create a file $PLAN9/LOCAL.config containing the line WSYSTYPE=x11 to keep the old behavior. Russ ------=_Part_5111_5227966.1215621215124 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Very nice. :-) I always hated firing up X11 just to run a few things I liked on my mac. Thanks again Russ! On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote: > If you run OS X, the next time you update > your p9p tree and run ./INSTALL, your graphics > programs will use native OS X windows instead > of X11. > > This means that people interested in trying p9p on > OS X no longer have to dig up the X11 install CD first. > > If you prefer X11 windows (and you might, if for > example you ssh from other machines into your > Mac and use X forwarding to run p9p programs), > you can create a file $PLAN9/LOCAL.config > containing the line > > WSYSTYPE=x11 > > to keep the old behavior. > > Russ > > > ------=_Part_5111_5227966.1215621215124 Content-T...

Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X
Don't know about hg, but `cvs up -dP' gets it done on case- INsensitive HFS+ volumes on Macs I have. Source sync tool of preference aside, I can second rog on case- sensitive HFS (or even Mac(NeXT) UFS if you like). Since both of these can be less convenient on boot volumes, a partition for the purpose, or a removable of some kind so formatted, is handy, since the filename case issue comes up in more than just p9p. -Josh ...

[9fans] p9p's rio on OS X
Is anyone running p9p's (x11) rio on OS X? I get *very* bad results. Window borders seem to only fill about half their window, and content behaves strangely. See this snippet: http://dalet.strand1.com/buggeredX11.png That's xclock, xman, and an xterm, no other p9p programs; drawterm behaves the same way. It doesn't actually show up in the xterm (because of the error), but that's my having typed "pwd", "date", and "uptime". These all behave as expected under quartz-wm and twm. Note that the nature of the wrongness depends on the specific placement of the window, but I've not yet nailed down the pattern. Aside: this is so I can run drawterm more-or-less full screen, or at the size it reports, and I'm not aware of a Cocoa-compatible drawterm being available. If anyone's got one of those they'd like to share, I'm quite happy to not pay any attention to X11. Anthony ...

[9fans] p9p venti tools on mac os x

[9fans] using plan9 fs for archive from other OS? #2
You can use cacls utility shipped with Windows or xcacls from NTResKit to store/retrieve file permissions to/from separate file and put it in your backup. - VVV - ...

Inconsistency between os.getgroups and os.system('groups') after os.setgroups()
Run this test program as root: import os print "before:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") os.setgroups([]) print "after:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") After the os.setgroups, os.getgroups says that the process is not in any gr= oups, just as you would expect. However the groups command run using os.sy= stem says that the process is in the root group. It appears that the new p= rocess started by os.system augments the group membership specified in the = os.setgroups command with the group of the actual user of the original proc= ess (which is root). I can suppress membership in the root group only by d= oing os.setgid and os.setuid before the os.system call (in which case I win= d up in the group of the new user instead of root), but I have to be able t= o get back to root privilege so I can't use setgid and setuid. How do I ru= n a program from a Python script running as root such that the group member= ship of the process running the program does not include root? Am 25.03.2012 23:32, schrieb jeff: > After the os.setgroups, os.getgroups says that the process is not in > any groups, just as you would expect... I can suppress > membership in the root group only by doing os.setgid and os.setuid > before the os.system call (in which case I wind up in the group of > the > new user instead of root), but I have to be able to get back to root > privilege so I can't use setgid and setuid. Simply ...

Install OS X from OS 9.2 and OS X .dmg files
Hi, I have : * the 3 disk images .dmg "Mac OS X 10.3 Panther final install disk 1", 2 and 3 retrieved from the 'chocolate' network (Gnutella), * an iMac with Mac OS 9.2, * a CD-RW drive with HotBurn (Iomega). What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? TIA Fr�d�ric tomcat <noone@nodomain.int> wrote: > What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Buy the CDs. > Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? Integrity. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.co...

Recommendations for OS
Hi, I'm your typical poor student (cue violin), I've done all my learning on Oracle so far from home on the remote Uni machine (SunOS) and now I want to setup my own server so I can learn more about the DBA side and have a free run of it all. I see from the Oracle site that it's only (for linux) certified to work on Redhat/Suse Advanced Server, which alas are not cheap [read: not free] and that the X86 SunOS version is marked as 'projected'. Are the certified OS's the be-all and end-all? If I run 10g on Suse 9i Personal Edition or X86 SunOS would the DBMS chug along fine? Ideally I would like to run it on the X86 SunOS version, any suggestions/pointers would be most welcome :] Regards, Anthony. -- If we can't play God, who will? Dank wrote: > Hi, > > I'm your typical poor student (cue violin), I've done all my learning on > Oracle so far from home on the remote Uni machine (SunOS) and now I want > to setup my own server so I can learn more about the DBA side and have a > free run of it all. I see from the Oracle site that it's only (for linux) > certified to work on Redhat/Suse Advanced Server, which alas are not cheap > [read: not free] and that the X86 SunOS version is marked as 'projected'. > Are the certified OS's the be-all and end-all? No. You can install them on (consults notes... Suse 7.1, Suse 7.3, Redhat 7.1, Redhat 7.2, Redhat 7.3, Redhat 8, Redhat 9, Fed...

os.pipe() + os.fork()
--Sig_/DfRt9Dxw+_.=lNFY4dG045U Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I have a problem using os.pipe() together with os.fork(). Usually when the writing end of the pipe is closed, the reading end gets EOF. So subsequent attempts to read data will return an empty string. But when you call os.fork() after you have created a pipe using os.pipe(), and read data from the pipe in the child process, when the partent process has already closed the writing end, the reading end does not get EOF. Instead of the os.read() call in the child process is b...

[9fans] plan9 now officially not the OS with the ugliest GUI anymore
i don't want to hear anyone complain about the plan9 gui anymore, lest they be cast into the world of LoseThos: http://www.losethos.com/ from the website: "The LoseThos IBM PC Operating System x86_64, open source, free, public domain [...] PROMISES: 1) LoseThos will always run everything in kernel mode. There is no user mode. All programs will have full access to memory, I/O ports, instructions, etc." We just need some rounded edges. http://www.creativeandlive.com/article_images/0000/1073/siggi.jpg On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:40 AM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote: > i don't want to hear anyone complain about the plan9 gui anymore, lest > they be cast into the world of LoseThos: > > http://www.losethos.com/ > > from the website: > > "The LoseThos IBM PC Operating System > x86_64, open source, free, public domain > [...] > PROMISES: > 1) LoseThos will always run everything in kernel mode. There is no > user mode. All programs will have full > access to memory, I/O ports, instructions, etc." > > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:40 AM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote: > i don't want to hear anyone complain about the plan9 gui anymore, lest > they be cast into the world of LoseThos: > > http://www.losethos.com/ That is amazing. -- Tom Lieber http://AllTom.com/ I always thought 8 1/2, rio, acme and friends were more, uh, Amish UIs than...

os
hi friends, in our company all the system are good configuration but when they access any file from interanet it is working very slow. what is the solution. prabeen <prabeen.subhasri@gmail.com> writes: > hi friends, in our company all the system are good configuration but > when they access any file from interanet it is working very slow. what > is the solution. Faster internet connection? It could honestly be 100 different things. Your question is not well constrained. -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net/ prabeen wrote: > hi friends, in our com...

OS
I would like to (at least try) to create my own OS, I know that C++ was to some degree designed for that task but I have no Idea where to start, or how to learn. neither the local library nor bookstore has any books about programming OSs and their selection in programming in general is rather slim. ANy suggestions? > I would like to (at least try) to create my own OS, I know that C++ > was to some degree designed for that task but I have no Idea where to > start, or how to learn. neither the local library nor bookstore has > any books about programming OSs and their selection i...

[9fans] native graphics drawterm on Mac OS X

[9fans] Installing plan9 on Parallels build 6.0.12090 [Mac OS 10.6.7] kernel panic
I'm trying to install plan9 as a VM using Parallels build 6.0.12090. I'm = running Mac OS 10.6.7. I made a VM in Parallels, and set it to boot to CD first. It got up and = running, and when the installer tried to boot into sdD0, I explicitly = told 9load to boot from: sdC1!cdboot!9pccd.gz I think that the installer tried to search for USB peripherals, but = during that stage I got the following message: panic: boot process died: unknown panic: boot process died: unknown dumpstack ktrace /kernel/path f010a27c f004c34c <<EOF estackx f004c620 f004c2ec=3Df010a011 f004c2f4=3Df01db1a6 f004c30c=3Df0100f6e = f004c314=3Df0100f5d f004c320=3Df01479dd f004c334=3Df010a27c f004c348=3Df010a27c = f004c34c=3Df010a015 f004c354=3Df0147e03 f004c394=3Df01d0a6e f004c3a0=3Df01db2d2 = f004c3a8=3Df01c8818 f004c3ac=3Df01c88c0 f004c3b0=3Df0149054 f004c3bc=3Df01ecfda = f004c3c8=3Df01ecfda f004c3d4=3Df01ecf71 f004c3e0=3Df01ecf71 f004c3fc=3Df01ed1f4 = f004c404=3Df01dab96 f004c408=3Df01dabac f004c410=3Df01dacf0 f004c418=3Df01dacf0 = f004c424=3Df01db1a6 f004c42c=3Df01db1a6 f004c438=3Df01c2fe6 f004c43c=3Df01c5146 = f004c440=3Df01ef051 .... // I'm leaving out some of the stacktrace. I'll upload the image of = the window f004c61c=3D0000001b EOF cpu0: exiting Any idea as to what could be going wrong? My hardware is a Macbook Pro = 2010 model with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, and 4 GB of DDR3 RAM, if that = is at all pertinent. Here is the hosted image file: http://i.imgur.com/0ZnxP.png=...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') #3
> -----Original Message----- > From: Larry Kilgallen [mailto:Kilgallen@SpamCop.net]=20 > Sent: October 10, 2004 10:52 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 > In article=20 > <FD827B33AB0D9C4E92EACEEFEE2BA2FB45D86D@tayexc19.americas.cpqc > orp.net>, "Main, Kerry" <kerry.main@hp.com> writes: >=20 > > for that matter. However, I know of two major Customers=20 > that wanted to > > convert OpenVMS applica...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') #2
> -----Original Message----- > From: John Smith [mailto:a@nonymous.com]=20 > Sent: October 10, 2004 6:18 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 [snip...] > How many 30'something CTO's even know what VMS is? How many=20 > of their system > architects or programmers? After the .crash era, there are likely very few CTO's left in their 30's. Those folks are more likely back in the trenches doing mid level mgmt jobs. Hey, I a...

Run OS X on OS X
I have a new G5 with 4GB of RAM. I have a G3 running WebStar and the machine is showing signs of age. I would like to move it to this new machine but also use this machine for development. I was thinking I could run the webstar and related in a seperate instance of OS X and have that running while I develop in the main OS X instance. Thoughts? -Jason jason.slack@gmail.com (Slack) writes: >I was thinking I could run the webstar and related in a seperate >instance of OS X and have that running while I develop in the main OS >X instance. Sorry, I'm not familiar with webstar, ...

OT: OS/2 or OS/NOT-2
Wow-- I've been *trying* to play with OS/2 Warp 4, trying to get on the internet. I'm very familiar with Windows (of course) and Linux-- OS/2 on the other hand, that's a different story. Getting this thing on the internet has been a pain. It works, finally. :) Now-- I realize that I'm basically stuck in the DOS age when it comes to dealing with files, like one of the most rudementary types of files-- zip files!!! Is there not a Winzip/WinRar-like app for OS/2? Can someone lead me to the light? What stuff do I need to put on this thing before it's even useful? Thanks! --Daniel Daniel Hamilton wrote: > Wow-- I've been *trying* to play with OS/2 Warp 4, trying to get on the > internet. I'm very familiar with Windows (of course) and Linux-- OS/2 > on the other hand, that's a different story. Getting this thing on the > internet has been a pain. It works, finally. :) Now-- I realize that > I'm basically stuck in the DOS age when it comes to dealing with files, > like one of the most rudementary types of files-- zip files!!! Is there > not a Winzip/WinRar-like app for OS/2? > > Can someone lead me to the light? What stuff do I need to put on this > thing before it's even useful? > > Thanks! Daniel Go to the newsgroup comp.os.os2.misc and other os2 newsgroups. They're good with this type of question. Dan the K Daniel Hamilton wrote: > ...

Web resources about - [9fans] p9p host os recommendation - comp.os.plan9

Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Passed the House on January 9, 2007 (299-128 Roll call vote 015 , via Clerk.House.gov) Reported by the joint conference committee on July 25, ...

OK.com Helps Facebook Users Tap Friends, Family For Age-Appropriate Movie Recommendations
Facebook users are more likely to trust their friends when it comes to movie recommendations , and Deseret Digital Media saw an opportunity in ...

Under the Hood: Building the App Center recommendation engine - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Building the App Center recommendation engine geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen ...

Recommendations Box - Facebook-Entwickler
The Recommendations Box shows personalized recommendations to your users. Since the content is hoste...

Recommendations
TripAdvisor today expanded the personalization of its travel site to highlight reviews from friends of users’ Facebook friends. When people ...

Zacks Investment Research - Proven Stock Ratings Research Recommendations
Zacks is the leading investment research firm focusing on equities earnings estimates and stock analysis for the individual investor, including ...

foursquare : With foursquare deemphasizing the checkin in v5.0, are the explore recommendations going ...
Answer (1 of 4): I guess there's another way of looking at it. They're trying to make you feel less pressured to check-in and spend more time ...

App Store - BuddyTV Guide: TV guide, recommendations & remote control
Read reviews, get customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about BuddyTV Guide: TV guide, recommendations & remote control on the App ...

Vevo Adds Better Recommendations Via Spotify Imports
If you typically get your dose of music videos through Vevo, the recently launched mobile applications which are available on Android and iOS ...

Police in Maryland didn't follow Taser safety recommendations in hundreds of incidents
... used the devices against suspects who posed no immediate threat. In hundreds of cases, police didn’t follow widely accepted safety recommendations ...