[9fans] p9p os x - native gui

If you run OS X, the next time you update
your p9p tree and run ./INSTALL, your graphics
programs will use native OS X windows instead
of X11.

This means that people interested in trying p9p on
OS X no longer have to dig up the X11 install CD first.

If you prefer X11 windows (and you might, if for
example you ssh from other machines into your
Mac and use X forwarding to run p9p programs),
you can create a file $PLAN9/LOCAL.config
containing the line

	WSYSTYPE=x11

to keep the old behavior.

Russ

0
rsc (1808)
7/9/2008 4:09:48 PM
comp.os.plan9 9252 articles. 1 followers. quanstro (3876) is leader. Post Follow

------=_Part_5111_5227966.1215621215124

Very nice.  :-)  I always hated firing up X11 just to run a few things I
liked on my mac.
Thanks again Russ!

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> If you run OS X, the next time you update
> your p9p tree and run ./INSTALL, your graphics
> programs will use native OS X windows instead
> of X11.
>
> This means that people interested in trying p9p on
> OS X no longer have to dig up the X11 install CD first.
>
> If you prefer X11 windows (and you might, if for
> example you ssh from other machines into your
> Mac and use X forwarding to run p9p programs),
> you can create a file $PLAN9/LOCAL.config
> containing the line
>
>        WSYSTYPE=x11
>
> to keep the old behavior.
>
> Russ

------=_Part_5111_5227966.1215621215124

your p9p tree and run ./INSTALL, your graphics<br>
programs will use native OS X windows instead<br>
of X11.<br>
This means that people interested in trying p9p on<br>
OS X no longer have to dig up the X11 install CD first.<br>
If you prefer X11 windows (and you might, if for<br>
example you ssh from other machines into your<br>
Mac and use X forwarding to run p9p programs),<br>
you can create a file $PLAN9/LOCAL.config<br>
containing the line<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;WSYSTYPE=x11<br>
to keep the old behavior.<br>
Russ<br>

------=_Part_5111_5227966.1215621215124--

0
leimy2k (972)

Install OS X from OS 9.2 and OS X .dmg files
Hi, I have : * the 3 disk images .dmg "Mac OS X 10.3 Panther final install disk 1", 2 and 3 retrieved from the 'chocolate' network (Gnutella), * an iMac with Mac OS 9.2, * a CD-RW drive with HotBurn (Iomega). What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? TIA Fr�d�ric tomcat <noone@nodomain.int> wrote: > What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Buy the CDs. > Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? Integrity. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.co...

Run OS X on OS X
I have a new G5 with 4GB of RAM. I have a G3 running WebStar and the machine is showing signs of age. I would like to move it to this new machine but also use this machine for development. I was thinking I could run the webstar and related in a seperate instance of OS X and have that running while I develop in the main OS X instance. Thoughts? -Jason jason.slack@gmail.com (Slack) writes: >I was thinking I could run the webstar and related in a seperate >instance of OS X and have that running while I develop in the main OS >X instance. Sorry, I'm not familiar with webstar, ...

Oracle on OS X (not OS X server)
Hi. I've downloaded the Oracle developer edition for OS X, but the requirements state OS X server. Is this really the case - has anyone successfully got it running on just a standard OS X install? I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I can't seem to find the right Google strings. Tried in comp.sys.mac.databases, but the group seems to be dead apart from the odd 4D question. Cheers, Ian I've installed it on vanilla standard Mac OS X 10.2.6 on my iBook and it works fine. (Apologies if duplicate message) Ian McCall wrote: > Hi. > > I've downloaded the Oracle developer edition for OS X, but the requirements > state OS X server. Is this really the case - has anyone successfully got it > running on just a standard OS X install? > > I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I can't seem to find the > right Google strings. Tried in comp.sys.mac.databases, but the group seems > to be dead apart from the odd 4D question. > > Cheers, > Ian > > ...

[9fans] p9p for Mac OS X

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf Changes ------- Added drawer and zoom menu commands [DWa, NRi]. Added intelligent window zooming [NRi]. Added shapefile support. Added UTF-8 support [RSc]. Added cvtgxl, gvpack and gvpr tools [BSw]. Fixed page setup then close unexpectedly invoking save dialog [PRo]. HTML-like labels now work on 10.2 (use embedded expat instead of libxml2). Improved internal frameworks (added headers, consolidated dylibs). Tracked main build of 23 June. Graphviz is still free, but I'm now accepting donations for it. Enjoy! Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X
Don't know about hg, but `cvs up -dP' gets it done on case- INsensitive HFS+ volumes on Macs I have. Source sync tool of preference aside, I can second rog on case- sensitive HFS (or even Mac(NeXT) UFS if you like). Since both of these can be less convenient on boot volumes, a partition for the purpose, or a removable of some kind so formatted, is handy, since the filename case issue comes up in more than just p9p. -Josh ...

ParseTree and OS X/other newbie OS X questions
Couple of questions from a newbie on OS X (intel PB Pro)... First, ParseTree doesn't want to install do to compilation issues... mbp:/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ParseTree-1.6.0 Ken$ sudo rake install Password: (in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ParseTree-1.6.0) sh: line 1: RC_CFLAGS: command not found /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols: _rb_cObject _rb_const_get_at _rb_define_singleton_method _rb_intern collect2: ld returned 1 exit status rake aborted! error executing cc $(RC_CFLAGS) -bundle -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -pipe -fno-common -pipe -fno-common -I /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin8.0 -o "/Users/Ken/.ruby_inline/Inline_ParseTree_dc10.bundle" "/Users/Ken/.ruby_inline/Inline_ParseTree_dc10.c" : 256 Renamed /Users/Ken/.ruby_inline/Inline_ParseTree_dc10.c to /Users/Ken/.ruby_inline/Inline_ParseTree_dc10.c.bad /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ParseTree-1.6.0/rakefile:7 (See full trace by running task with --trace) ...perhaps I need to do further ruby setup? Also, I first installed ParseTree using 'sudo gem install ParseTree' but I didn't get any messages to the effect that that had even tried a compile--certainly not any error message. Is gem install supposed to compile C extensions when it install something? Finally, given that OS X is a bit of an odd bird, is there anything else I need to do to make sure installs work smoothly in the future? Thanks, Ken On Oct 15, 2006, at 12:11 PM, Kenneth McDonald wrote: > Couple of questio...

[9fans] p9p venti tools on mac os x

[9fans] p9p's rio on OS X
Is anyone running p9p's (x11) rio on OS X? I get *very* bad results. Window borders seem to only fill about half their window, and content behaves strangely. See this snippet: http://dalet.strand1.com/buggeredX11.png That's xclock, xman, and an xterm, no other p9p programs; drawterm behaves the same way. It doesn't actually show up in the xterm (because of the error), but that's my having typed "pwd", "date", and "uptime". These all behave as expected under quartz-wm and twm. Note that the nature of the wrongness depends on the specific placement of the window, but I've not yet nailed down the pattern. Aside: this is so I can run drawterm more-or-less full screen, or at the size it reports, and I'm not aware of a Cocoa-compatible drawterm being available. If anyone's got one of those they'd like to share, I'm quite happy to not pay any attention to X11. Anthony ...

Does Oracle 9i for OS X require OS X Server ?
Does Oracle (either 9 or 10 i) run on Tiger, or is OS X Server required? Thanks. In article <1127795452.653050.147170@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com wrote: > Does Oracle (either 9 or 10 i) run on Tiger, or is OS X Server > required? > > Thanks. VersionTracker has this: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15931 -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... In article <1127795452.653050.147170@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com wrote: > Does Oracle (either 9 or 10 ...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta > testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance > issues for 10G on Mac OS X? The PR suggests they've been clear that the OS X release will be production quality .. though since it won't be a "volume" platform, one may wonder about this in practise. > Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G > for Mac OS X, does anybody know? From what I've seen of screenshots, I believe OEM 10g is web-based JSP, so this seems likely. But just my inference, no real info. I use remote OEM from another box on my Powerbook for now (either XWindows or Windows Remote Desktop). SQL Plus otherwise.. Cheers Stu stuartc@mac.com (Stu Charlton) wrote in message news:<21398ab6.0402020845.4f2c5027@posting.google.com>... > Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote...

[9fans] plan9 now officially not the OS with the ugliest GUI anymore
i don't want to hear anyone complain about the plan9 gui anymore, lest they be cast into the world of LoseThos: http://www.losethos.com/ from the website: "The LoseThos IBM PC Operating System x86_64, open source, free, public domain [...] PROMISES: 1) LoseThos will always run everything in kernel mode. There is no user mode. All programs will have full access to memory, I/O ports, instructions, etc." We just need some rounded edges. http://www.creativeandlive.com/article_images/0000/1073/siggi.jpg On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:40 AM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote: > i don't want to hear anyone complain about the plan9 gui anymore, lest > they be cast into the world of LoseThos: > > http://www.losethos.com/ > > from the website: > > "The LoseThos IBM PC Operating System > x86_64, open source, free, public domain > [...] > PROMISES: > 1) LoseThos will always run everything in kernel mode. There is no > user mode. All programs will have full > access to memory, I/O ports, instructions, etc." > > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:40 AM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote: > i don't want to hear anyone complain about the plan9 gui anymore, lest > they be cast into the world of LoseThos: > > http://www.losethos.com/ That is amazing. -- Tom Lieber http://AllTom.com/ I always thought 8 1/2, rio, acme and friends were more, uh, Amish UIs than...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. On 2012-09-21 3:05 PM ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote: > Hi. > > Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife > like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! > Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 > MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one > from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to > import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his > photo(graph)s? I rec...

OS X v10.1.5 to OS X v10.3?

OS 9 startup in OS X
I have 2 iMacs, a G4 and a G5. The G5 does not have Classic installed but there is an icon for it in my system preferences. The G4 came with Classic installed but there is no icon for it in my system preferences. It is available as one of my startup disks. Whenever I restart, OS 9 tries to start up and I have to cancel the startup. How do I get the icon into my system preferences so that I can turn off the startup? In article <C19FA0F3.24C8A%linguine33@fuse.net>, Jules Freedman User <linguine33@fuse.net> wrote: > I have 2 iMacs, a G4 and a G5. The G5 does not have Classic ins...

OS 9 fonts on OS X
I'm trying to add the OS 9 font "New York" to OS X (since it doesn't seem to exist anymore on OS X). I found the FFIL file for the font on OS 9 (/System Folder/Fonts/New York), and then tried to get OS X's Font Book application to add it to it's list of fonts. But it won't accept the font file, even though Font Book shows up as the default application for the FFIL file. How can I get OS X to use this font? Or is there some other way I can get New York font for OS X? I tried copying the New York FFIL file into /Library/Fonts, but as soon as I drag it in there, ...

OS 9 font in OS X
I'm trying to add the OS 9 font "New York" to OS X (since it doesn't seem to exist anymore on OS X). I found the FFIL file for the font on OS 9 (/System Folder/Fonts/New York), and then tried to get OS X's Font Book application to add it to it's list of fonts. But it won't accept the font file, even though Font Book shows up as the default application for the FFIL file. How can I get OS X to use this font? Or is there some other way I can get New York font for OS X? I tried copying the New York FFIL file into /Library/Fonts, and as soon as I drag it in there, it stays for a second, and then just disappears (??). So I tried copying it using terminal, and then it let me do it, but it came out as a "Unix Executable File" with the icon that looks like a command prompt. And the font still doesn't show up in Font Book or any of my applications. On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 4:31:23 -0800, DJ Craig wrote (in message <1111494683.377209.49170@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>): > I'm trying to add the OS 9 font "New York" to OS X (since it doesn't > seem to exist anymore on OS X). I found the FFIL file for the font on > OS 9 (/System Folder/Fonts/New York), and then tried to get OS X's Font > > Book application to add it to it's list of fonts. But it won't accept > the font file, even though Font Book shows up as the default > application for the FFIL file. H...

os.rename() problems on OS X
hello, i recently had the job of having to rename about 200 files. The source for the renaming was a bunch of names in a file. I know next to nothing when it comes to bash scripting (which would have seemed the obvious choice) so i used python. The files i was renaming were canon raw files (.CR2). my problem is that after i rename the files, OS X will no longer render the thumbnails for the files, and preview is no longer the default app for viewing them. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is? Thanks for the help :) -Lukas On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:29:24 -0800, lukas wrote: > hello, &...

A GUI OS: is not the OS of the 21st Century
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070707010808080603090606 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit The GUI is not the OS. Windos is wrong. Ballmer is wrong. Linux helps the new Browser, the mobile phone, to work better. J2ME, Linux and Eclipse are the workbench of the modern programmer. --------------070707010808080603090606 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8; name="jabailo.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="jabailo.vcf" begin:vcard fn...

RISC OS printing to OS/X?
I'd like to print from my Iyo to my HP 7960 photo printer and my HP 3330 laserjet via my powerMac. It seems like it ought to be possible but I haven't found any way yet. Of course, it helps that HP have finally issued OSX printer drivers that don't actually crash the printing system :-) and it ought to help that OSX is apparently using CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) but... so far no luck. In fact I don't seem to be able to even try to select net or nfs printing on the Iyo. I can get to my mac or my pc via lanman ok so the basic networking is about there. I have ...

Linking OS 9 and OS X
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain information on how to link a PowerPC running under OS 9 with a laptop Powerbook G4 running under OS X10.3.3? I can see an ethernet socket on the old machine as well as on the laptop, so I'm hoping it can be done even though the machines are running two different systems. Thank you, Devi Jankowicz Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> wrote: > Can anyone tell me where I can obtain information on how to link a > PowerPC running under OS 9 with a laptop Powerbook G4 running under OS > X10.3.3? I can see an ethernet socket on the old machine as well as on > the laptop, so I'm hoping it can be done even though the machines are > running two different systems. It can be done, but every time I do it I find it remarkably tricky. What I have found is this. First, hook the machines together via ethernet. Now on the OS 9 machine make sure that AppleTalk is on and that it is pointing out the Ethernet port. Now turn on File Sharing and (this is important) check the checkbox that allows connection via TCP/IP. Now on your Mac OS X machine's Location's Ethernet configuration, turn on AppleTalk. Now in the Finder hit command-K and you should be able to browse to see the OS 9 machine. If this doesn't work at first, try assigning both machines manual IP numbers. These can be 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2. m. -- matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/ AppleScript: The Definitive Guide ht...

Web resources about - [9fans] p9p os x - native gui - comp.os.plan9

GSoC (Plan 9 wiki)
Open source distributed operating system Plan 9 from Bell Labs.

[9fans] SO for plan9?
9fans archive / 2000 / 06 / 529 prev next search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: ...

Blog Archive
John Floren Home - Blog 2012 12/22 - Disassembling MyVu Shades 301 Video Glasses - ( Comments ) 9/27 - Found some old RIT pictures - ( Comments ...

Nielsen research: Social media impressions in Facebook ads
AdvertisingEffectiveness: Understanding the Value of a Social Media Impression APRIL 2010 INSIDE: …

Plan 9 from User Space
quotes - docs - repo - golang - sam - man - acme - Glenda - 9times - harmful - 9P - cat-v.org Related sites: - site updates - site map - man(1) ...

9fans archive /
9fans archive / search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: lines before: yyyy ...

[9fans] 9pi
9fans archive / 2012 / 08 / 129 prev next search terms are split using tokenize from: regexp searches From: lines subject: regexp searches Subject: ...