code highlighting and copying text from PDF files

I asked 2 questions a couple of days ago but strangely not of them was published!

So I'll try again but this time the topics are merged :)

1. How can I get C code highlighting to Sam or Acme?
2. Is there a client like page(1) that allows me to copy text from a
PDF file? Very useful while reading Fransisco's books...
0
faifgnu (24)
6/6/2012 10:55:44 AM
comp.os.plan9 9252 articles. 2 followers. quanstro (3876) is leader. Post Follow

> 2. Is there a client like page(1) that allows me to copy text from a
> PDF file? Very useful while reading Fransisco's books...

sadly, no.

- erik

0
quanstro3716 (244)
6/6/2012 12:52:08 PM
--bcaec521599f21410b04c1ce6993

you could use ps2ascii foo.pdf > foo.txt, and serch for the sentence there
..... but it is not very convenient :-(

++pac

--bcaec521599f21410b04c1ce6993

--bcaec521599f21410b04c1ce6993--

0
tyapca7 (101)
6/6/2012 2:16:17 PM
> 2. Is there a client like page(1) that allows me to copy text from a
> PDF file? Very useful while reading Fransisco's books...

Use acme(1) to read Nemo's books in text format, it works so much
better because you can just click on things.

--=20
Aram H=C4=83v=C4=83rneanu

0
aram.h (63)

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

copying text from PS/PDF files
Are there any clients like page(1) that allow me to select text from a PS/PDF file? That's especially useful while reading Fransisco's books :) ...

Copy files using filenames from text files
How can I do this???? I have the file "lista.txt", and this file have the next information: one.txt two.txt five.txt six.txt ------------------- This files exist in the same directory that "list.txt", I would like to copy this files to other directory Using Windows the batch file would be like this: for /f "tokens=*" %i in (list.txt) do copy "%i" destdir\ How can I do something like that in UNIX?? Best Regards altariamx2003@gmail.com ha escrito: > How can I do this???? > > I have the file "lista.txt", and th...

Copy To Clipboard Highlighted Text From Text Widget
I have a gui that has text widget and I want to be able to copy to the clipboard the text that is highlighted or the text widget's entire contents if no text is highlighted. This line of code works for the highlighted text: text2copy = self.text.get(tk.SEL_FIRST, tk.SEL_LAST) However, this code will generate an exception if no text is highlighted. So here is what I come up with and it works: def copy_clipboard(self): try: text2copy = self.text.get(tk.SEL_FIRST, tk.SEL_LAST) except: text2copy = self.text.get() root.clipboard_clear() root.clipboard_append(text2copy) My concern is whether or not this approach is acceptable. Is it ok to let the exception occur or would it be better to avoid it? If the later, I would appreciate suggestions on how to do that, I mean how to determine if any text is highlighted without generating an exception. My research was not very fruitful. -- <Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453 May the Source be with you. On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Wildman via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote: > I have a gui that has text widget and I want to be able to > copy to the clipboard the text that is highlighted or the > text widget's entire contents if no text is highlighted. Fortunately your code reveals that you're using "tk" here, but otherwise, please state up-front which GUI library you're using; there are quite a few. ...

How to copy a HTML file into plain text file
I have a file named test.html, I used following command and copied as test.txt file from dos command shell. copy c:\test.html c:\test.txt The output file, "test.txt" is generated as text formatted file but all the HTML tags are existed around each line. If I use windows "file->save as" function and select to save as ".txt" format, this file is saved as plain text file without HTML tags. How can I save this file from dos command into text formatted (.txt) without HTML tags around ? >I have a file named test.html, I used following command a...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an existing file. Could someone point me in the right direction for some documentation or examples of how this might be done, or if it can be done? Thanks In Advance Brian ...

How to convert this ps file to a pdf file w/ searchable text? (pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file)
I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there is any other way to generate a searchable pdf file? $pkfix-helper 0375.ps Reading 0375.ps ... done. Number of Type 3 fonts encountered: 0 pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file On May 13, 10:45=A0pm, Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> wrote: > I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. > But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there > is any other way to generate a searchable pdf file? > > $pkfix-helper 0375.ps > Reading 0375.ps ... done. > Number of Type 3 fonts encountered: 0 > pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file That looks more like a "nothing to do" message than an "error" per se. If we could see some of the postscript, ... On May 14, 12:41=A0am, luser- -droog <mijo...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On May 13, 10:45=A0pm, Peng =A0Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. > > But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there > > is any other way to generate a searchable pdf file? > > > $pkfix-helper 0375.ps > > Reading 0375.ps ... done. > > Number of Type 3 fonts encountered: 0 > > pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file > > ...

A PDF into a FM file then save as pdf... how to have alll the pages of the included pdf file
FM 7.2 We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the firts page of the pdf imported. Is there a method to import a pdf file and force FM to generate a pdf file with save as... with the complete pdf file inserted into the padf ? > We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then > when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the > firts page of the pdf imported. > > Is there a method to import a pdf file and force FM to generate a pdf file > with save as... with the complete pdf file inserted into the padf ? FrameMaker imports PDF files per page only. To do something similar to what you intend, I once came up with a Windows shell script that writes out a MIF file, incorporating the name of a referenced PDF file and its page count. Note that the MIF code was just stripped off a file and isn't constructed very nicely, but it does the job. After running the script, you should use FrameMaker to open and save the output file. There is no text flow, thus you can't import the file into a document, but you can use it as part of a book instead. Regards Johannes Here is the VB script, feel free to post an optimized version: Dim fso, mif, pdfname, pagecount, counter Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") pdfname = InputBox("Name o...

Copy files using filenames from text files with shell script or bash script
How can I do this???? I have the file "lista.txt", and this file have the next information: one.txt two.txt five.txt six.txt ------------------- This files exist in the same directory that "list.txt", I would like to copy this files to other directory Using Windows the batch file would be like this: for /f "tokens=*" %i in (list.txt) do copy "%i" destdir\ How can I do something like that in REDHAT?? Best Regards On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:01:42 -0800, altariamx2003@gmail.com rearranged some electrons to form: > How can I do this???? > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html -- David M (dmacchiarolo) http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled T/S 53 sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 3 days 15:04 for f in `cat lisa.txt`; do cp $f /dst/dir; done -C On Nov 19, 6:43 pm, David M <NOS...@nospam.com> wrote: > On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:01:42 -0800, altariamx2...@gmail.com rearranged > some electrons to form: > > > How can I do this????http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html > > -- > David M (dmacchiarolo)http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled > T/S 53 > sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 3 days 15:04 C.J. Steele wrote: > for f in `cat lisa.txt`; do cp $f /dst/dir; done Not a good way if you have filenames with whitespaces in lista.txt. -- js Jiri Slaby kirjoitti: > C.J. Steele wrote: > > for f in `cat lisa.txt`; do cp $f /dst/dir; done > > N...

copying text from .pdf
Morning! why do texts from different .pdf files get copied differently (if selected with 'Touch up text' and copied to a text editor)? I have observed the following behaviors: - single characters are marked in the original; copied, there are no spaces inbetween; - a text gets underlined in the original; copied, there are no spaces; - whole text gets marked; copied, it's usually fine; - only a single line can be copied at a time; usually without extra problems... What does this depend on? When I convert a Word document to .pdf, can I choose which of the above behaviors I will prefer for the resulting file? Many thanks in advance! bj This is off-topic here. Please post it to comp.text.pdf. -- EventStudio System Designer 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio System Design with Sequence Diagrams in PDF and Word EMF On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:14:07 +0100, "bj" <SpillOut99@yahoo.com> wrote: >Morning! > >why do texts from different .pdf files get copied differently (if selected with 'Touch up text' and copied to a text editor)? I have >observed the following behaviors: >- single characters are marked in the original; copied, there are no spaces inbetween; >- a text gets underlined in the original; copied, there are no spaces; >- whole text gets marked; copied, it's usually fine; >- only a single line can be copied at a time; usually without extra problems... > >What does this depend on? When I convert ...

copying text from pdf
Morning! why do texts from different .pdf files get copied differently (if selected with 'Touch up text' and copied to a text editor)? I have observed the following behaviors: - single characters are marked in the original; copied, there are no spaces inbetween; - a text gets underlined in the original; copied, there are no spaces; - whole text gets marked; copied, it's usually fine; - only a single line can be copied at a time; usually without extra problems... What does this depend on? When I convert a Word document to .pdf, can I choose which of the above behaviors I will pref...

text on pdf file
How can I add a text on a pdf file in order to print it with the page? Thanks Sandro "Sandrobi" <sandbizzXXX@libero.it> wrote in message news:<TQP0c.42052$Kc3.1337410@twister2.libero.it>... > How can I add a text on a pdf file in order to print it with the page? > > Thanks > > Sandro There are so many ways to do it if you have the full version of Acrobat. Not the Free Reader. 1. Use the free text tool. 2. Use the forms tool and make a text box and fill it up. 3. Use the touchup text tool, click where you want the text inserted while holding the &...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

Copy text from edit text box on MATLAB GUI to specific cell on an excel file
Good day! I would like to copy or transfer the text from an edit box on MATLAB GUI (via push button) to a specific cell on an excel file. Can you suggest on how to accomplish this one or even cite sample codes? If this is not possible, can you suggest anything on how to allow the user to input texts using the MATLAB GUI (via push button) and automatically transfer the texts to a specific cell on excel? It is preferable to have the texts copied/stored to the excel file without opening the actual excel file. Thank you so much. "Mary Requilman" <maryrose.requilman@gmail....

File too large when copying 5GB file from a NetBSD machine to a Mac OS X machine over NFS?
I was just copying a large tar file to my Mac. The file resided on a NetBSD 1.6.2 machine, mounted on the Mac with NFS, I performed the copying using cp, and the destination was a UFS file system. Apparantly, it stopped with a "File too large" error when it reached 4GB. I find difficult to believe that there is a 4GB limit on Mac UFS filesystems, so what caused the error? A bug in Mac OS /bin/cp? I had no problem copying the file to another machine, running NetBSD 2.0. -- Lasse Hiller�e Petersen | "I met someone who looks a lot like you, ----------------------------+...

A free utility for direct copy of Tandem files into Ms Sql, Ms Excel and flat text files
It's an 'Ftp-like' command line utility. You can copy Tandem Enscribe Files and Sql Tables into MS Sql server tables, MS Excel files or flat text files. Filter can be applied on rows and columns, both for Enscribe Files and Sql tables. It's free. Downloadable from http://free.x3.hu/peak-tibor/ Tibor PE�K ...

GUIDE: Using xtopdf to create PDF from text and DBF files (including creating simple PDF e-books)
Hi, I'm giving below, steps to install and use my xtopdf PDF creation/conversion toolkit. This post is for end-users. xtopdf is both a set of end-user tools and a library for use by developers, to create PDF from various input formats. I'll post another message here about how developers can use it in various ways, sometime later. The steps are for the Windows platform. Will do another post for Linux. 1. Get Python v2.4.3 here: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi Size is not more than 10 MB. Install it - its an MSI, so just double-click. (Any Python version >...

concatenating multiple text files into one text file
Hello all, I have a huge number of text files like : spectrum1_300_315.csv spectrum1_315_331.csv spectrum1_331_364.csv spectrum1_364_386.csv spectrum1_386_401.csv ...................................... ....................................... each file contains some headerlines at the beginning and data in 2 columns. I want to concatenate the data of the files into one text file .Can anyone hel me pls?thank u in advance. ...

Batch converting of PDF files into searchable PDF files
Hello Group We need to convert about 500 multipage non-searchable PDF files into searchable PDF files. The original PDFs just contain the scanned documents and we plan to run them through an OCR program which will afterwards save them back in the PDF format. It seems that Omnipage 12 Pro Office edition would be able to do the job but Omnipage 12 Standard, which is much less expensive, seems to have many of the same features. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a resource which lists the exact differences between the two programs. For now we'd require only one or two licences...

Converting A Unicode Text File to An ASCII Text File
We have a large number of text files built in Unicode that we need to be read by SAS. SAS does not read Unicode text. To convert the Unicode text to ASCII text we did the following: A Unicode text file adds an additional blank space to each character. To remove this blank character, you can use the code below. The hexidecimal value '00' is a blank character. So remove it using the SAS statement '00'x. The 'x' tells SAS you are reading hexidecimal. Use RECFM=N to tell SAS that you are reading a stream of data that will not conform to a typical file structure. SAS will treat the file as a very long single record. data _null_; infile 'c:\xmlfile.xml' recfm=n; file 'c:\ascifile.txt' recfm=n; input c $1.; if c ne '00'x then put c $1.; run; ...

Failed to write to a text file (text file is RW)
Hi, I dig up the following script. Added a simple HTML file with a form field named "vote" and have it send to the following php script. However, it failed to write to the poll_result.txt file. Why? Thanks as usual. <?php $vote = $_REQUEST['vote']; //get content of textfile $filename = "poll_result.txt"; $content = file($filename); //put content in array $array = explode("||", $content[0]); $yes = $array[0]; $no = $array[1]; if ($vote == 1) { $yes = $yes + 1; } if ($vote == 0) { $no = $no + 1; } // debug echo $yes; echo $no; // output and comments /* Seed poll_result.txt to read 0||0 It's always 10 even though I checked the YES option several times obviously it failed to write to the poll_result.txt file. Checked the poll_result.txt, it's 0||0 */ //insert votes to txt file $insertvote = $yes."||".$no; $fp = fopen($filename,"w"); fputs($fp,$insertvote); fclose($fp); ?> On 1/2/2011 3:19 PM, justaguy wrote: > Hi, > > I dig up the following script. Added a simple HTML file with a form > field named "vote" and have it send to the following php script. > However, it failed to write to the poll_result.txt file. Why? > > Thanks as usual. > > <?php > $vote = $_REQUEST['vote']; > > //get content of textfile > $filename = "poll_result.txt"; > $content = file($filename); > > //put content in array > $arra...

SRFI I looked up 95, now can you simply copy the code to a file and load it, or are there c code modules needed to have a SRFI?
Does an SRFI come with c modules or do you just load the definitions from a file into your scheme? For example how would I get SRFI 95 into scsh? gavino wrote: > Does an SRFI come with c modules or do you just load the definitions from a file into your scheme? > > For example how would I get SRFI 95 into scsh? That SRFI is for sorting and merging. I don't know about scsh, but some Schemes are bundled with some SRFIs. For example, in Racket to use SRFI-26: (require srfi/26) As a last resort, it is sometimes possible to use the reference implementations found here: http://srfi.schemers.org/final-srfis.html Racket has a capable sort function: > (sort '((a 9) (b 5) (c 2)) < #:key second) '((c 2) (b 5) (a 9)) ...

Copy from a PDF to PDF
Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? Thanks in article YT2Fb.22892$vi2.19893@twister.auna.com, jesusp at jesusp@arrakis.es wrote on 12/20/03 1:09 PM: > Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from > a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? - Yep - copy and paste. You may have to crop it first to get just what you want. And it may not paste into position - you need to move it around. - I suppose it depends on which applications you have at hand. Acrobat will certainly do it. MSD Thx, I crop the desired rectangle in the first PDF, select it with the TouchUp Object Tool, then copy it, but the WHOLE page is pasted in the second PDF and I'd like to have only the part I want. At least this is what I get with ACROBAT 5.0. Am I doing something wrong? "WharfRat" <wharfrat@footprintsphotographics.com> wrote in message news:BC09FB34.10D43%wharfrat@footprintsphotographics.com... in article YT2Fb.22892$vi2.19893@twister.auna.com, jesusp at jesusp@arrakis.es wrote on 12/20/03 1:09 PM: > Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from > a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? - Yep - copy and paste. You may have to crop it first to get just what you want. And it may not paste into position - you need to move it around. - I...

copy txt file - only copies 1/3 of the file
File.open('oldFile.txt', 'r') do |f1| #file contains XML type data m = f1.gets File.open('newFile.txt','w') do |f2| #newFile to separate data in oldFile f2.puts m.split("<") end end Hello All. There is something that I did that was weird here. I say this because when I open the new file that it creates its 1/3 the size of the original. It seems to just completely cut off. I took off the .split and it still did this, so I know it has nothing to do with split. What do you think is going on? oldFile.txt contains XML formatted data. ...

Web resources about - code highlighting and copying text from PDF files - comp.os.plan9

File:Map of Oklahoma highlighting Oklahoma County.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain . This applies worldwide. This file contains additional information, ...

Calgary bobsled deaths has Whistler highlighting security
The Whistler Sliding Centre is highlighting its strict security that prevents public access after-hours, in response to a tragic Calgary incident ...

Apple debuts new iPhone 6s ads highlighting ‘Hey Siri’ and power advances
... more news on iOS Devices , Apple , and video continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple debuts new iPhone 6s ads highlighting ...

Highlighting The Scope Of Legal Issues That Can Arise In A Media Company’s Digital Operations
What legal issues should a broadcaster be concerned about when expanding its use of digital media?

Spotify Launches ‘Year in Music’ Highlighting 2015 Listening Habits
... In addition, the site allows users to create a Year in Music card for their stats, which can be shared on social media. Outside of highlighting ...

Apple's Cook Kicks Off iPhone Event by Highlighting FBI Debate
Bloomberg Apple's Cook Kicks Off iPhone Event by Highlighting FBI Debate Bloomberg Apple Inc.'s Tim Cook kicked off an event designed for ...

Our Principles super PAC puts up anti-Trump ad highlighting protests
The spot a sucker punch thrown by a Trump supporter at a protester on Wednesday in Fayetteville, North Carolina

Blue-letter Bible highlighting OT passages about Jesus is top seller
A Bible with Old Testament passages relating to Jesus marked in blue is the top selling specialty Bible in North America.

Amid disputes, Taiwan highlighting South China Seas claims
TAIPING ISLAND (AP) — Taiwan was seeking to call attention to its South China Sea territorial claims Wednesday with a tour for the international ...

Microsoft Turns Table On Old Apple Mac Vs. PC Ads Highlighting Cortana , Touch And Windows Hello
In what seems like ages, we're now seeing indicators that Microsoft is bringing highly competitive innovation to the notebook and desktop computing ...