Create my own Custom Controls

Hi, I want to create my own Custom Controls using MSVC++ 6.0 without MFC, I can't seem to
find a good tutorial anywhere though, does anybody have experience on creating controls
and could you give me some pointers on how to get started? Or do you know where I can find
a good tutorial, where?

Regards,
Spikinsson

0
Spikinsson
7/11/2003 5:38:18 PM
comp.os.programmer.win32 14523 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:38:18 GMT, "Spikinsson" <not@gonna.tell.ya>
wrote:

>Hi, I want to create my own Custom Controls using MSVC++ 6.0 without MFC, I can't seem to
>find a good tutorial anywhere though, does anybody have experience on creating controls
>and could you give me some pointers on how to get started? Or do you know where I can find
>a good tutorial, where?

OK, if you have MSVC, you have the MSDN Windows API documentation.
There are at least two approaches you can take:

(a) subclass existing Windows controls;
(b) create your controls normally as child windows with the
appropriate Window styles.

For tutorials, I suggest anything by Charles Petzold.

--
Bob Hairgrove
rhairgroveNoSpam@Pleasebigfoot.com
"Bob Hairgrove" wrote:

> "Spikinsson" wrote:
> >Hi, I want to create my own Custom Controls using MSVC++ 6.0 without MFC, I can't seem
> >find a good tutorial anywhere though, does anybody have experience on creating controls
> >and could you give me some pointers on how to get started? Or do you know where I can
find
> >a good tutorial, where?
>
> OK, if you have MSVC, you have the MSDN Windows API documentation.

I didn't know what to search for exactly, but I've found some information under the
subject ATL, which at first sight seems extremely useful.
Thanks for the help.

0
Spikinsson

http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/

--
John Carson
John

James

--
www.catch22.org.uk
Free Win32 Software, Source Code and Tutorials

"Spikinsson" <not@gonna.tell.ya> wrote in message
> Hi, I want to create my own Custom Controls using MSVC++ 6.0 without MFC,
I can't seem to
> find a good tutorial anywhere though, does anybody have experience on
creating controls
> and could you give me some pointers on how to get started? Or do you know
where I can find
> a good tutorial, where?
>
> Regards,
> Spikinsson

0
James
7/12/2003 2:23:40 PM
"James Brown"...
> "Spikinsson"
> > Hi, I want to create my own Custom Controls using MSVC++ 6.0 without MFC, I can't seem
> > find a good tutorial anywhere though, does anybody have experience on creating
controls
> > and could you give me some pointers on how to get started? Or do you know
> >where I can find a good tutorial, where?
>
> Check out the tutorials section on my website:
> www.catch22.org.uk

OMG, man thats brilliant, thank you so much, this will be really useful to me, one last
question though, how do I build this custom control to a ocx? I want to make it
re-usable...

Anyway, thanks for the link man!

0
Spikinsson
7/12/2003 9:29:46 PM
It is pretty difficult to do active-x in pure C/C++.  There is a
huge amount of code you need to write to support all the various
different interfaces that an active-x control must expose.
You need to use the active-template-library (ATL), which is a
set of C++ template classes which make writing ActiveX pretty easy..
Don't know much about that side of things tho..

Why do you want active-x? are you using VB as well? I always write
my custom controls to behave like standard windows controls, so
you just use CreateWindow / MoveWindow etc.

James
--

> "James Brown"...
> > "Spikinsson"
> > > Hi, I want to create my own Custom Controls using MSVC++ 6.0 without
MFC, I can't seem
> > > find a good tutorial anywhere though, does anybody have experience on
creating
> controls
> > > and could you give me some pointers on how to get started? Or do you
know
> > >where I can find a good tutorial, where?
> >
> > Check out the tutorials section on my website:
> > www.catch22.org.uk
>
> OMG, man thats brilliant, thank you so much, this will be really useful to
me, one last
> question though, how do I build this custom control to a ocx? I want to
make it
> re-usable...
>
> Anyway, thanks for the link man!

0
James
7/12/2003 11:32:12 PM
"James Brown"
> Why do you want active-x? are you using VB as well? I always write
> my custom controls to behave like standard windows controls, so
> you just use CreateWindow / MoveWindow etc.

No, no. But I thought it would be easier to use in new programs...

0
Spikinsson
7/12/2003 11:45:49 PM
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:45:49 GMT, "Spikinsson" <not@gonna.tell.ya>
wrote:

>"James Brown"
>> Why do you want active-x? are you using VB as well? I always write
>> my custom controls to behave like standard windows controls, so
>> you just use CreateWindow / MoveWindow etc.
>>

>No, no. But I thought it would be easier to use in new programs...

Make a DLL if you need to share the same custom control(s) in more
than one application. Otherwise you should just link it into your
program.

Regards
Chris
---
Reply with no _PRIVACY_ in mail address.
0
Chris