Where to look for help (confessions of a mac/unix programmer)

I need a tutorial...

I'm a mac/unix guy looking into programming windows for the first time.
I have the Petzold book. I've downloaded tools from MS, in the form of

Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows XP SP2 (i'm using sp2)
Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit

I've edited environment variables (PATH, INCLUDE, and LIB)in the C++
Toolkit file vcvars32.bat to point at the appropriate directories in the
SDK.

Now, I start a shell using "Visual C++ Toolkit Command Prompt", and use
cl to compile my simple file (which contains the first Petzold example).
  First, it can't find 'windows.h'. Then, I add /I and point to the SDK
includes. It now compiles, but is unable to find the library uuid.lib.

The appropriate paths are in the environment, as shown by 'set' in the
command shell.

I'm undoubtedly missing something. A clue would be appreciated...

--
Regards,
   Robert Monsen

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:01:08 GMT, Robert Monsen
<rcsurname@comcast.net> wrote:

>I need a tutorial...
>
>I'm a mac/unix guy looking into programming windows for the first time.
>I have the Petzold book. I've downloaded tools from MS, in the form of
>
>Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows XP SP2 (i'm using sp2)
>Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit
>
>I've edited environment variables (PATH, INCLUDE, and LIB)in the C++
>Toolkit file vcvars32.bat to point at the appropriate directories in the
>SDK.

On Windows, paths can contain spaces, in which case you may need to
enclose the path in quotes.

>Now, I start a shell using "Visual C++ Toolkit Command Prompt", and use
>cl to compile my simple file (which contains the first Petzold example).
>  First, it can't find 'windows.h'. Then, I add /I and point to the SDK
>includes. It now compiles, but is unable to find the library uuid.lib.
>
>The appropriate paths are in the environment, as shown by 'set' in the
>command shell.
>
>I'm undoubtedly missing something. A clue would be appreciated...

--
Bob Hairgrove
NoSpamPlease@Home.com
Robert Monsen <rcsurname@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<E96md.614842$8_6.363932@attbi_s04>...
> I need a tutorial...
>
> I'm a mac/unix guy looking into programming windows for the first time.
> I have the Petzold book. I've downloaded tools from MS, in the form of

 It depends if you are more Mac or more unix, but if you are used to
CodeWarrior on Mac, maybe a good idea would be to give it a try on
Win.

 And look here: http://www-instruct.nmu.edu/math_cs/CodeWarriorDocs/Win32%20%5Bdoc%5D/Mac%20to%20Windows.pdf

 And here: http://blog.efx2.com/user/Mac2Win/
0