Change MAC address on DE500?

Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?

Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.

The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.

0
Jonathan
3/4/2005 5:51:45 PM
comp.os.vms 21302 articles. 13 followers. Post Follow

In article <Se1Wd.2754$Ny6.4823@mencken.net.nih.gov>, "Jonathan Boswell" <jsb.NOSP@M.cdrh.fda.gov> writes:
> Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
>
> Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
> manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
> crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
> this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
> hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
> originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
> on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.
>
> The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
> Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
> license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.

   Back when we used flexlm, it used the MAC address after DECnet
   changed it.  So if you're running DECnet, set the new system's DECnet
   address to the same as the old system's DECnet address.

   And yes, you can change the MAC address.  See the I/O User's Guide.
   It's the same thing DECnet does.

0
koehler2 (8314)
3/4/2005 7:05:42 PM
Jonathan Boswell wrote:
> Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
>
> Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
> manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
> crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
> this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
> hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
> originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
> on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.
>
> The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
> Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
> license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.

     If Bob's answer doesn't solve it for you (no DECNET on this
interface), I seem to recall that NICs used to have a plug-in
"chip" that carries the MAC address.  This was certainly true of
older NICs.  I don't know if it's the case with DE500's.

     OTOH, if the NIC is built-in, it may not have one of these
pluggable chips.  Do look the hardware over for something with
a sticker on it that reads like a MAC address...

	-Ken
--
I don't speak for Intel, Intel doesn't speak for me...

Ken Fairfield
D1C Automation VMS System Support
who:   kenneth dot h dot fairfield
where: intel dot com
0
My.Full.Name (343)
3/4/2005 7:44:25 PM
"Jonathan Boswell" <jsb.NOSP@M.cdrh.fda.gov> writes:

>Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?

As others mentioned, you probably have to change the hardware
address.

The ID ROM on the older ethernet interfaces was a 14 or 16 pin
DIP package.  Not sure exactly what a DEC 3000-500 had but most
likely one of these.

Looking at a DE500A card I see no such DIP.  They most likely used
smaller packages by then.

Looking at an older DE435 card I do see such a DIP package (16 pin).
Not sure if this is the ROM or not.

If it is, perhaps you can remove the ROM from the old computer and replace
it on a DE435/DE450 or similar and use it.  The cards are PCI so should
work.  They are only 10Mb Ethernet however.  You will either have to put
up with that or somehow convince the licensed software to use it (it
probably uses the 'first' device) and everything else to use a faster
interface like the DE500.
--
-Mike
0
"Bob Koehler" <koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org> wrote in message
>    Back when we used flexlm, it used the MAC address after DECnet
>    changed it.

IIRC, the numbers I sent to Research Systems and Mathworks many years ago
was the output of the

$ mcr ncp show known line characteristics

command, "Hardware address" in particular.  You will notice that this
address does not change when DECnet comes up.  I don't even know what you
call that address after DECnet changes it.

Regarding moving this MAC address, indeed the old beast does have a 16 pin
socketed DIP "chip" that says "Ethernet" on it.  I've already looked in all
my newer machines and I'm out of luck.  The closest I came was an
Alphaserver 2100 DE-something with some sort of flat-pack "chip" on it's
Ethernet board.  Everthing else has no socketed components at all.

0
Jonathan
3/4/2005 9:42:18 PM
Jonathan Boswell wrote:
> Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
>
> Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
> manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
> crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
> this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
> hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
> originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
> on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.
>
> The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
> Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
> license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.

Jonathan:

It is possible and actually quite simple to re-write the MAC address of
the DE500 card.  What you need is the SROM programming tool kit from the
old Digital Semiconductor FTP site, here's a link:
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/networks-and-communications/software/dsc-software-nc.html
Scroll down to the SROM programming tool kit.
Download and copy all the files to a Windows formatted bootable floppy
disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to
the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500,
write it to a yourfilename.txt file.  Edit the ADDR.LOG file, insert
whatever address you want. Then invoke SROMPROD /address=yourfilename.txt
When prompted if you want to retain the existing address, answer no.  It
write the MAC address from the ADDR.LOG file to the card.

TomC

Good luck!

TomC
0
spamsucks2 (29)
3/5/2005 5:31:29 AM
<jsb.NOSP@M.cdrh.fda.gov> wrote:

>Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
>
>Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
>manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
>crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
>this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
>hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
>originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
>on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.

The ethernet address for the DEC 3000-500s is in a ROM which is in a
socket on the IO board.  If you replace the IO board, you are supposed to
move the ROM over to the new board.  The ROM is a 16-pin DIP package
located close to the Dallas Real Time Clock.

You can likely obtain a replacement DEC 3000 system for little money, move
your disk(s) and ethernet ROM to the new system, and then you'll be back
in business.
0
rdeininger2 (410)
3/5/2005 9:21:10 PM
"Crabs" <spamsucks@nospam.com> wrote in message
> It is possible and actually quite simple to re-write the MAC address of
> the DE500 card.  What you need is the SROM programming tool kit from the
> old Digital Semiconductor FTP site, here's a link:

Tom you genius!

> Download and copy all the files to a Windows formatted bootable floppy

You must mean format /s because this package is nearly 1MB all by itself,
not including various Windows utilities on my recovery disks.

> disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to
> the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500,

This fails with an "unable to access CSR9" error.  The utility does find the
card and identifies it as a Digital Semiconductor 21143.  Got any ideas on
why I can't access CSR9?

0
Jonathan
3/7/2005 8:06:52 PM
Johnathan:

> You must mean format /s because this package is nearly 1MB all by itself,
> not including various Windows utilities on my recovery disks.
Yes.

>>disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to
>>the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500,
>

> This fails with an "unable to access CSR9" error.  The utility does find the
> card and identifies it as a Digital Semiconductor 21143.  Got any ideas on
> why I can't access CSR9?

I don't have a clue.  I've never seen this error before.
Where are you located?  I'm on the "Left Coast". ;-) (Sacramento, CA)
Contact me off-line, tomc@sunset*no_spam*.net
remove the obvious spam munge.
I can either program your card for you or send you a DE450 with your
address on it. I've got lots of DE450's, but no DE500's to spare.

TomC

0
spam26 (14)
3/7/2005 9:32:10 PM
Just realized I gave the wrong email addy, here's the correct one:
tccrab*no_spam*@sunset.net

Jonathan Boswell wrote:

> "Crabs" <spamsucks@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>It is possible and actually quite simple to re-write the MAC address of
>>the DE500 card.  What you need is the SROM programming tool kit from the
>>old Digital Semiconductor FTP site, here's a link:
>

> Tom you genius!
>

>>Download and copy all the files to a Windows formatted bootable floppy
>

> You must mean format /s because this package is nearly 1MB all by itself,
> not including various Windows utilities on my recovery disks.
>

>>disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to
>>the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500,
>

> This fails with an "unable to access CSR9" error.  The utility does find the
> card and identifies it as a Digital Semiconductor 21143.  Got any ideas on
> why I can't access CSR9?

0
spam26 (14)
3/11/2005 4:43:49 PM
"Tom Crabtree" <spam@sucks.com> wrote in message
> Just realized I gave the wrong email addy, here's the correct one:
> tccrab*no_spam*@sunset.net

Last Friday that was working, but as of Monday morning it bounces with a
"451 %TCPIP-E-SMTP_NOSUCHUSER" error.

0
Jonathan

Changing the Change File Feature.
Is there a way to turn off the feature in Windows XP Home where, when a shortcut can't find its target file, it gets changed to point to a similarly-named file in another directory? Thanks. It does not get changed automatically. Just Click NO! -- Hope this helps. Let us know. Wes MS-MVP Windows Shell/User In news:bPVue.8700$NX4.8680@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net, Neil <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked: > Is there a way to turn off the feature in Windows XP Home where, when a > shortcut can't find its target file, it gets changed to point to a > simila...

Changing the initial layout
Hi All, Trying to build my first Cocoa project, I'm having lot's of fun, but there is this thing I can't figure out. I'm building a game, on the right I have an openGL thing and on the left I have Tabpages. Now I've created 4 different Tab's no problems there. The problem is that now allways all tabs are applicable, when the application just started, I just want to show 2 of them. So I've to do something like: [menuBar->AdvancedTab retain]; [menuBar removeTabViewItem: menuBar->AdvancedTab]; But the thing is I've no clue where to put ...

Re: change value #3
Here's the (I think) analogous sql: proc sql ; update test set age = 20 where age = 200 ; quit ; -Roy -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of data _null_; Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 11:19 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: change value Here is a way, that works based on the information you have provided. Let's see if any one it paying attention :-) data work.test; input age sex:$1. @@; cards; 21 M 23 F 200 M ;;;; run; proc editor data=work.test; find 1,last age=200; list...

ANN: TclXML v3.0b2 Combo Binary for Mac OS X
Binaries of v3.0 beta 2 of the TclXML family of packages are now available for the Mac OS X (Panther) platform. The "combo" distribution includes the following frameworks: libxml2 2.6.7 libxslt 1.1.4 TclXML/libxml2 v3.0b2 TclDOM/libxml2 v3.0b2 TclXSLT v3.0b2 Download from http://tclxml.sf.net/combo.html Enjoy! Steve Ball ...

ComboBox change
I want the user to be able to have full functionality of a comboBox but with the ability to change the text. Does any of the attributes allow this? "Jules" <news@burnsville.freeserveXXX.co.uk> wrote: > >I want the user to be able to have full functionality of a comboBox but with >the ability to change the text. Does any of the attributes allow this? > > Jules, I believe you want to set the Style property to "0 - Dropdown Combo". This allows the user to pick an item from the list or type into the combo box. Regards, Eric Sorry, my mistake, I m...

change of career?
Hi, I currently work as a software engineer on quite complex signal processing code which really does stretch the old grey matter. I'm finding that I'm not enjoying it and would like to pursue a career in something a bit less technically challenging. Does anyone have any thoughts about what would be a good move into? I'd like to say what motivates me.... but i'm not too sure. Thanks, James. Home Depot. You can do it. We can help. LOL <blokedownpub@gmail.com> wrote in message = news:1168290930.424513.48240@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com... > Hi, I currently work...

Trying to change ID value in @array
Hi, I'm trying to replace the ID number in my @array. Each entry of addressbook.txt has an ID number, a name and an email address separated by a "|" in this format: 1|Robert|rob@email.com 2|Gerry|gerry@email.com 3|Frank|frank@email.com A user simply inputs a number in a web form, then the data is passed to this deletion script: # Get array entries open (ADDRESSES, "<data/addressbook.txt") or die "Can't open file: $!"; @recipients=<ADDRESSES>; close(ADDRESSES); # Loop to locate and delete entry based on form data foreach $recipients(@recipien...

FAQ 9.23 How do I find out my hostname, domainname, or IP address? #17
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq9.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 9.23: How do I find out my hostname, domainname, or IP address? (contributed by brian d foy) The "Net::Domain" module, which is part of the standard distribution starting in perl5.7.3, can get you the...

how cani change font at console window
windows nt 4.0 i edit Lucida console and after that i cant see this font in property ...

I thought the Mac Pro was expensive...
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/23/apple-computer-sells-for-213600-at-auction/?ref=technology -- gmail originated posts filtered due to spam. ...

My E-Mail Address
I just wanted to let everyone know that my e-mail address is knT6xMw8Vu@gmail.com On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:21:08 +0200, <knT6xMw8Vu@gmail.com> wrote: > I just wanted to let everyone know that my e-mail address is > kn[BREAKER]Mw8Vu@gm[BREAKER]il.com And your password is 'yourfirstname.lastname', and you meant to put them the other way around? -- Rik Wasmus ....spamrun finished ...

changing CPerl indenting
I would like this: my $vars = { cgi => $cgi, pagetitle => 'SBAMentor', }; Changed to this: my $vars = { cgi => $cgi, pagetitle => 'SBAMentor', }; My eyes are blurry from looking for the answer. :-) I have cperl-mode on by default and I have the following in .emacs: ;; CPerl not Perl! (fset 'perl-mode 'cperl-mode) (add-hook 'cperl-mode-hook '(lambda () (cperl-set-style "PerlStyle"))) (setq cperl-hairy t) (setq cperl-indent-level 4) (setq cperl-continued-statement-offset 4) (setq cperl-brace-o...

How to change PCI interrupts?
We are trying to duplicate an experiment setup which uses QNX 6.1 and I am having some problems with the new computer. I am mostly a software guy, I don't know much about hardware but I believe the problem is about some interrupts clashing. The problem is when the PCI card is initialized and some FIFO open is attempted over the network with another QNX machine, the network goes down. The same cards and programs works fine with the current computers. I tested the new card with the old computers and it works fine. I tested the FIFO part without the PCI initialization and the netwo...

FoxBase+/Mac OS Version ?
Hi, What's the latest version of Mac OS that can run apps written in FoxBase+/Mac? Thanks, Kristen Wagner classic or 9.x "Kristen Wagner" <kwagner@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message news:SQOsc.252616$M3.251537@twister.nyroc.rr.com... > Hi, > > What's the latest version of Mac OS that can run apps written in > FoxBase+/Mac? > > Thanks, > Kristen Wagner > > ...

To change password in Eudora? URGENT!
Hi, I have just changed my password to my principal account (on the web) and Eudora is not able anymore to download my emails. How can I change password in Eudora too? Thanks <st.lucky@katamail.com> wrote... > Hi, I have just changed my password to my principal account (on the > web) and Eudora is not able anymore to download my emails. > How can I change password in Eudora too? > Thanks I think this'll do it: In Eudora, click on "Special", then "Forget Password(s)". Now then next time you try to retrieve your email, Eudora will ...

Changing the field of specialization in Computer Science
Hi all, I have done computer system engineering. I chose the Grid Computing field for doing my undergrad senior design project and worked on an OGSA compliant Replica Location Service for grids. But now I feel that back then I made a wrong choice as I found out later that I wasn't much interested in Grid Computing and found it hard to work in that field. Now I want to pursue Artificial Intelligence during my future work/studies. I want to pursue a masters degree with specialization in AI. My question is that is it possible to change lanes under the above mentioned circumstances...

DAQ change frequency while continously outputing sine wave
I have an NI USB DAQ and I can continuously generate a signal. I need to be able to continuously generate a signal and change the frequency from when desired, while still generating a signal. I have not been able to figure out how to change the frequency without shutting down the output first. This is the code I use to continuously generate the data: function [source, lh] = daqWvformControl(freq, signalVoltPk, squareWv, sampleRate, Dur) source = daq.createSession('ni'); source.IsContinuous = true; source.addAnalogOutputChannel('Dev1', 0, 'Voltage'); source.Rate...

How do I address convolutional interleaver using memory instead of registers.
My interleaver uses 50 branches and the delay units are each 100*n (0<=n<50) data. Large memory crequirement makes shift register implementation inhibitive. With a single port RAM to hold the data, are there standard and well-known routine to generate read and write addresses? Thank you. news reader wrote: > My interleaver uses 50 branches and the delay units are > each 100*n (0<=n<50) data. Large memory crequirement > makes shift register implementation inhibitive. > > With a single port RAM to hold the data, are there standard > and well-known routine to ...

Trace on change/Signal on change/Call on change
Is ooRexx getting any closer to having a mechanism which could be used to trace when a particular variable or stem variable gets changed (to a particular value)? I don't know whether I'm writing cleverer bugs, or my debugging skills are waning with age, but it is starting to take me days to track down some problems that would be a snip with a variable monitor. I've just fixed such a bug. It took me about three years, because it happened only once a year, on average. Phew! -- Steve Swift http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html http://www.ringers.org.uk Swifty wrote: > Is ...

Changing UDCs online
Hello 3000-l Haven't done this in a long while, have searched the Archives, for more time than I care to relate, zero results: I have a UDC that is being accessed by, say, 70 Users, yet I need to implement a File command and save it so that they get the new version when they next logon. Of course the UDC is set to "*" and I can't save the file- someone know the method of doing this, sorry for any bandwidth- is it in the Archives? Timestamp? Best to all, esp those who got to go to Atlanta! John M Penney Systems Programmer Production Services Information Servi...

Changing to Applemac
Hi, Could you help me please? I am considering changing to an Applemac from a Dell PC. I have three kids at school who will need to use it too, for homework/internet etc. No big requirements for gaming or anything like that, standard Office accessories used, nothing really fancy, but maybe Dreamweaver. Currently we have a quite powerful Dell PC (loads of memory/disk space etc) and would not want anything less powereful than that. Broadband internet access, whilst needed for several hours per day, is mainly for email, some music, and web research etc. So, what do I need to make the transition...

Changing the "Zoom" from Ctrl-Alt-Keypad plus/minus
hello, world\n I would like to change the key combination used to "zoom" (cycle through the resolution list). The xorg.conf manpage only says how to disable it: Option "DontZoom" "boolean" This disallows the use of the Ctrl+Alt+Keypad- Plus and Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Minus sequences. These sequences allows you to switch between video modes. When this option is enabled, those key sequences have no special meaning and are passed to clients. Default: off. I need ...

I need a script that will use the DOM to change an actors lines to ....
bold when the actor clicks on his name at the top of the play,,,,,,,,no idea how to start this,,,,,I can trade original music for this info,,,,,I'm very good with Reason software "grasshopper" <rodger@peguesmusic.com> wrote in message news:1141624160.564209.154880@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > bold when the actor clicks on his name at the top of the play,,,,,,,,no > idea how to start this,,,,,I can trade original music for this > info,,,,,I'm very good with Reason software > I would approach it with a combination of css and javascript. tag each actor&...

change color in a bmp image
Hi, I'm a newbie in matlab and i want to write a program that loads and image and then changes the color at specified pixels.The pixels that I want to change are saved in a 2d array like that 332 64 332 65 356 67 etc. The original image that i load is pure white and I want to change the pixels color at pixel (332,64),(332,65),(356,67)and so on to black. Is there a function that can change a pixel from 255 to 0 value?How can I do that? Any help would be appreciated. :) kudrah wrote: > Hi, I'm a newbie in matlab and i want to write a program that loads > and image and then chang...

Our technology is better that Mac or Linux says Bill Gates
Interview: Bill Gates Opens Up Michael J. Miller Feb 24 2004 [..] Bill Gates: It's our responsibility to make sure that PC computing is something that's extremely productive, that [viruses don't interfere with that] and they [users] don't have this underlying concern .. [..] MM: There's a perception that Windows is somehow more vulnerable than Mac or Linux. BG: It's just not; it's just not. But there's a weird sense that it may feel like it's true, which is [why] we get attacked more. Our technology at this point is way better in terms of how few defe...