Change MAC address on DE500?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?

Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.

The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.

0
Reply Jonathan 3/4/2005 5:51:45 PM

See related articles to this posting

In article <Se1Wd.2754$Ny6.4823@mencken.net.nih.gov>, "Jonathan Boswell" <jsb.NOSP@M.cdrh.fda.gov> writes:
> Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
>
> Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
> manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
> crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
> this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
> hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
> originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
> on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.
>
> The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
> Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
> license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.

   Back when we used flexlm, it used the MAC address after DECnet
   changed it.  So if you're running DECnet, set the new system's DECnet
   address to the same as the old system's DECnet address.

   And yes, you can change the MAC address.  See the I/O User's Guide.
   It's the same thing DECnet does.

0
Reply koehler2 (8314) 3/4/2005 7:05:42 PM

Jonathan Boswell wrote:
> Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
>
> Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
> manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
> crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
> this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
> hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
> originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
> on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.
>
> The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
> Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
> license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.

     If Bob's answer doesn't solve it for you (no DECNET on this
interface), I seem to recall that NICs used to have a plug-in
"chip" that carries the MAC address.  This was certainly true of
older NICs.  I don't know if it's the case with DE500's.

     OTOH, if the NIC is built-in, it may not have one of these
pluggable chips.  Do look the hardware over for something with
a sticker on it that reads like a MAC address...

	-Ken
--
I don't speak for Intel, Intel doesn't speak for me...

Ken Fairfield
D1C Automation VMS System Support
who:   kenneth dot h dot fairfield
where: intel dot com
0
Reply My.Full.Name (343) 3/4/2005 7:44:25 PM

"Jonathan Boswell" <jsb.NOSP@M.cdrh.fda.gov> writes:

>Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?

As others mentioned, you probably have to change the hardware
address.

The ID ROM on the older ethernet interfaces was a 14 or 16 pin
DIP package.  Not sure exactly what a DEC 3000-500 had but most
likely one of these.

Looking at a DE500A card I see no such DIP.  They most likely used
smaller packages by then.

Looking at an older DE435 card I do see such a DIP package (16 pin).
Not sure if this is the ROM or not.

If it is, perhaps you can remove the ROM from the old computer and replace
it on a DE435/DE450 or similar and use it.  The cards are PCI so should
work.  They are only 10Mb Ethernet however.  You will either have to put
up with that or somehow convince the licensed software to use it (it
probably uses the 'first' device) and everything else to use a faster
interface like the DE500.
--
-Mike
0

"Bob Koehler" <koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org> wrote in message
>    Back when we used flexlm, it used the MAC address after DECnet
>    changed it.

IIRC, the numbers I sent to Research Systems and Mathworks many years ago
was the output of the

$ mcr ncp show known line characteristics

command, "Hardware address" in particular.  You will notice that this
address does not change when DECnet comes up.  I don't even know what you
call that address after DECnet changes it.

Regarding moving this MAC address, indeed the old beast does have a 16 pin
socketed DIP "chip" that says "Ethernet" on it.  I've already looked in all
my newer machines and I'm out of luck.  The closest I came was an
Alphaserver 2100 DE-something with some sort of flat-pack "chip" on it's
Ethernet board.  Everthing else has no socketed components at all.

0
Reply Jonathan 3/4/2005 9:42:18 PM

Jonathan Boswell wrote:
> Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
>
> Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
> manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
> crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
> this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
> hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
> originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
> on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.
>
> The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
> Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
> license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.

Jonathan:

It is possible and actually quite simple to re-write the MAC address of
the DE500 card.  What you need is the SROM programming tool kit from the
old Digital Semiconductor FTP site, here's a link:
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/networks-and-communications/software/dsc-software-nc.html
Scroll down to the SROM programming tool kit.
Download and copy all the files to a Windows formatted bootable floppy
disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to
the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500,
write it to a yourfilename.txt file.  Edit the ADDR.LOG file, insert
whatever address you want. Then invoke SROMPROD /address=yourfilename.txt
When prompted if you want to retain the existing address, answer no.  It
write the MAC address from the ADDR.LOG file to the card.

TomC

Good luck!

TomC
0
Reply spamsucks2 (29) 3/5/2005 5:31:29 AM

<jsb.NOSP@M.cdrh.fda.gov> wrote:

>Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
>
>Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
>manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
>crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
>this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
>hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
>originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
>on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.

The ethernet address for the DEC 3000-500s is in a ROM which is in a
socket on the IO board.  If you replace the IO board, you are supposed to
move the ROM over to the new board.  The ROM is a 16-pin DIP package
located close to the Dallas Real Time Clock.

You can likely obtain a replacement DEC 3000 system for little money, move
your disk(s) and ethernet ROM to the new system, and then you'll be back
in business.
0
Reply rdeininger2 (410) 3/5/2005 9:21:10 PM

"Crabs" <spamsucks@nospam.com> wrote in message
> It is possible and actually quite simple to re-write the MAC address of
> the DE500 card.  What you need is the SROM programming tool kit from the
> old Digital Semiconductor FTP site, here's a link:

Tom you genius!

> Download and copy all the files to a Windows formatted bootable floppy

You must mean format /s because this package is nearly 1MB all by itself,
not including various Windows utilities on my recovery disks.

> disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to
> the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500,

This fails with an "unable to access CSR9" error.  The utility does find the
card and identifies it as a Digital Semiconductor 21143.  Got any ideas on
why I can't access CSR9?

0
Reply Jonathan 3/7/2005 8:06:52 PM

Johnathan:

> You must mean format /s because this package is nearly 1MB all by itself,
> not including various Windows utilities on my recovery disks.
Yes.

>>disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to
>>the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500,
>

> This fails with an "unable to access CSR9" error.  The utility does find the
> card and identifies it as a Digital Semiconductor 21143.  Got any ideas on
> why I can't access CSR9?

I don't have a clue.  I've never seen this error before.
Where are you located?  I'm on the "Left Coast". ;-) (Sacramento, CA)
Contact me off-line, tomc@sunset*no_spam*.net
remove the obvious spam munge.
I can either program your card for you or send you a DE450 with your
address on it. I've got lots of DE450's, but no DE500's to spare.

TomC

0
Reply spam26 (14) 3/7/2005 9:32:10 PM

Just realized I gave the wrong email addy, here's the correct one:
tccrab*no_spam*@sunset.net

Jonathan Boswell wrote:

> "Crabs" <spamsucks@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>It is possible and actually quite simple to re-write the MAC address of
>>the DE500 card.  What you need is the SROM programming tool kit from the
>>old Digital Semiconductor FTP site, here's a link:
>

> Tom you genius!
>

>>Download and copy all the files to a Windows formatted bootable floppy
>

> You must mean format /s because this package is nearly 1MB all by itself,
> not including various Windows utilities on my recovery disks.
>

>>disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to
>>the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500,
>

> This fails with an "unable to access CSR9" error.  The utility does find the
> card and identifies it as a Digital Semiconductor 21143.  Got any ideas on
> why I can't access CSR9?

0
Reply spam26 (14) 3/11/2005 4:43:49 PM

"Tom Crabtree" <spam@sucks.com> wrote in message
> Just realized I gave the wrong email addy, here's the correct one:
> tccrab*no_spam*@sunset.net

Last Friday that was working, but as of Monday morning it bounces with a
"451 %TCPIP-E-SMTP_NOSUCHUSER" error.

0
Reply Jonathan 3/14/2005 5:57:50 PM
comp.os.vms 20939 articles. 11 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

change mac address get mac address spoofing mac address find computer by mac address
Mac Address Spoofing Report Victor J. Canny D. Abstract: Mac address can uniquely identifies each node of a network, ISPs and network administrators use mac address to manage their pc users. PC users may want to spoof mac address so that he need not to contact with ISP for a new network interface card (NIC); PC users may want to hide his mac address so that totally hide his information on the internet. Introduction Mac address, short for Media Access Control address, is a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. It means, in a local area network (LAN) or oth...

change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?
Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? please advise. thanks!! In article <1128101122.026114.302980@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, <apngss@yahoo.com> wrote: :Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? Of most machines, Yes. :IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is :based on the MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? It might be, it might not be, it depends on the ISP. So...

Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?
Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? Please advise. Thanks!! ...

Re: Change MAC address on DE500?
From: koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) > Back when we used flexlm, it used the MAC address after DECnet > changed it. So if you're running DECnet, set the new system's DECnet > address to the same as the old system's DECnet address. Really? I'd've figured that it would've used the hardware address, which is not so easy to change. Might have been the vendor's choice, too. (Ah, for the days of the DEQNA/DELQA, with the ID PROM in a socket which could easily be moved from card to card.) I assume that there's somet...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?
> Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? Sometimes, depending on the network card and the OS software. For example, in FreeBSD you might use: ifconfig de0 ether 01:23:45:67:89:ab I understand Linux has a similar ability, and I think Windows XP can do it in a much more GUI-ish way. Some routers have a "clone MAC address" ability. This won't change the MAC address kept in the ROM, so the command has to be re-done every time the machine boots. > IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address > is based on the MAC ad...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine? #8
John Levine wrote: >> Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is >> assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the >> MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? > No. Your IP address has nothing whatsoever to do with your MAC > address. If you're using DHCP, an IP address X is assigned to the card with MAC address Y and changing the MAC then renewing your lease is almost guaranteed to change your IP address. If the DHCP server is set to assign a static address to your computer, it does so by a...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine? #7
It was a dark and stormy night when jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? What they said. There are also Windows programs, both shareware and freeware, that will change a computer's MAC address (check repositories such as http://www.tucows.com). ...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine? #5
In article <telecom24.444.6@telecom-digest.org>, <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? Yes. > IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address > is based on the MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? Maybe. depends on the ISP. > Please advise. Don't mess with what you don't understand. :) ...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine? #4
In article <telecom24.444.6@telecom-digest.org>, jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is On Windows I think you may have to edit the registry to do it. On most home broadband routers, you can do it from their web-based configuration system. > assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the > MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? Sort of. The ISP's DHCP server typically remembers the IP address that it previously assigned to a MAC address. When that MAC addres...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine? #6
On 29 Sep 2005 08:10:37 -0700, jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is > assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the > MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? The Mac address is a property of the Ethernet interface, so if that is provided by a card such as a PCI or PCMCIA card, changing it for a different one will change the Mac address. The IP address is not necessarily based on the Mac address. If you get IP assignment by DHCP (and maybe PPPoE but I'm not familiar wit...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine? #3
jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is > assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the > MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? > Please advise. Thanks!! At the lowest level, they are completely unrelated. In a practical sense, methods exist for assigning IP addresses based on MAC addresses, but your ISP almost certainly has assigned your IP address to your physical line, and changing your MAC address is unlikely to have any effect on your IP address. Changing your ...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine? #2
> Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is > assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the > MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? No. Your IP address has nothing whatsoever to do with your MAC address. Your ISP assigns it from their pool of available addresses. On my tiny network, when someone plugs in a new computer, it just assigns the lowest numbered unused IP address. R's, John ...

Re: Change MAC address on DE500? #2
From: Crabs <spamsucks@nospam.com> > [...] What you need is the SROM programming tool kit from the > old Digital Semiconductor FTP site, here's a link: > http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/networks-and-communications/software/dsc-software-nc.html And once you know the key word ("SROM"), it's also pretty easy to find it at Intel: http://www.intel.com/design/network/drivers/#support And their URL is shorter. SMS. ...

Changing MAC address from Ethernet Card DE450 to Built-in DE500
l've recently bought new AlphaServer DS10 (with 2 build-in ethernet port) for migration. After migrating from old system to new system, l realize that one of my application only regconize the old mac address. It means that l've to migrate the DE450 to the new system also.....and l would like to change the MAC address of the built-in network card on Alpha.... Is anyone how do change it? Thank you at lot. Your sincerely, Yong Boon, Lim Yong Boon, Lim wrote: > l've recently bought new AlphaServer DS10 (with 2 build-in ethernet port) > for migration. > After migrating fro...

Changing MAC address
Greetings, We need to change the MAC address for our processor board. Ordinarily this would not be an issue for any other NIC, however, our platform (Motorola 68360/68160) requires that software manage the address, not hardware. Our goal is simple: to store Ethernet settings such as MAC address, IP address, port(s), in Serial EEPROM, recover those settings at application time, and change the settings "on the fly" if possible. I have been up and down through this and other newsgroups searching for anything that might help. Our END driver, however, does not appear to be connected p...

change MAC address
does anybody know how to change MAC address in Mac OS9.x? thanks! * posted via http://mymac.ws In article <41a51100$1_3@alt.athenanews.com>, tfcheng <tscheng@ic.sunysb-dot-edu.no-spam.invalid> wrote: > does anybody know how to change MAC address in Mac OS9.x? Yes. But why? There may be a better way to achieve whatever you're trying to accomplish. -- Change account to gw when responding by mail. > In article <41a51100$1_3@alt.athenanews.com>, > tfcheng <tscheng@ic.sunysb-dot-edu.no-spam.invalid> wrote: >> does anybody know how to change MAC ...

Change MAC address
Hi, I have 2 networking devices which are the same. But the MAC addresses can be changed. When I connect them to a hub, do I need to change the MAC address so that they have different MAC addresses? Thanks! On 25 Jan 2005 05:53:27 -0800, leonlai2k@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have 2 networking devices which are the same. But the MAC addresses > can be changed. When I connect them to a hub, do I need to change the > MAC address so that they have different MAC addresses? > > Thanks! The mac addresses should be different anyway. What type of devices ...

is mac address changed when being routed?
Hello ~: i have a confusing concept problem that i need help !! there are two switches, and those are connected to Router A. and please look at this following facts: switch A has connection to host A. switch B has connection to host B. Like this: host B | Router A __Switch B | switch A __host A My question is "What will be the source mac address of the frames that hostA receives from hostB?" I answered this question as "The Mac address of router interface.", but the correct answer was "The Mac ...

Aix Mac Address
Hi, I have a IBM RS390 with AIX 4.1 and Token Ring communication. I need to change the Mac Address in this machine. How can I do this ? Please, somebody can help me ?? Just for information, I use the command: lscfg -vl ent0, and the result was: DEVICE LOCATION DESCRIPTION ent0 00-00-0E Integrated Ethernet Adapter Displayable Message.........STANDARD ETHERNET Network Address.............10005AFA289D Device Driver Level.........00 Diagnostic Level............00 Tks, Carlos Eduardo Boccio TS&O Consultoria - ...

changing mac address in linux
To change your MAC address in Linux is easy . Type below commands in terminal http://smartproteam.com/linux-tutorials/changing-mac-ip-linux/ ...

MAC address change question
I recently travelled to Seattle for a meeting and decided to play with changing my MAC address and seeing how that would affect my network access. My configuration: HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop Mandriva 2006 Linux Now, if I change my MAC address, either directly using ifconfig or with macchanger, everything *seems* to work right locally on the machine, but none of the DHCP servers I've played with will give me an ip address. This was true for the wireless server at my hotel room, and for the Cingular service here at SeaTac (where I'm waiting for a plane). This is true even if I pu...

Change my FROM address my default so Gmail address doesnt need to be changed
Is there a way to change the FROM address from my Gmail address to the address I choose without always having to make the change from Gmail to my new name when I send an email??? I am always forgeting to click the box to change the address. I would like to make my new FROM address my DEFAULT 'FROM' address. If not, oh Gmail God's, could you add this to your list of things to change? Thanks. ...

changing MAC address questions
I have couple questions regarding MAC address changes: 1) When we change the MAC address, it will change the firmware of NIC, or just temporary change? My observation is just temporary change. 2) Do you think changing MAC address can secure the machine more? I mean at least hackers cannot keep track on the machines that easily? Well, maybe hackers should use IP address, but my observation is that when I change the MAC address, IP address will change as well. 3) I try it myself, when I change the MAC address, it will change the IP address as well. IP address is assigned by ISP, maybe ISP ass...

Randomly Changing MAC Address
I'm hoping that the 'hardware' groups may be able to assist as I've had no answers from Networking groups. I use a mixture of Linux Mandrake, Win98, ME and XP. I have a wireless network with Netgear WG602 54mbps AP, Netgear WG602 54mbps PC card, a Linksys 11mbps USB adapter and a WiFi enabled handheld. I've got a strange problem with a constantly changing MAC address on my Netgear PC card. I bought the Netgear AP and PC card in September this year, I set MAC access for security. After a couple of weeks the Netgear PC card would not access the network, all others OK. Eve...