Change MAC address on DE500?

Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?

Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.

The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.


0
Jonathan
3/4/2005 5:51:45 PM
comp.os.vms 21709 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

10 Replies
799 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 32

In article <Se1Wd.2754$Ny6.4823@mencken.net.nih.gov>, "Jonathan Boswell" <jsb.NOSP@M.cdrh.fda.gov> writes:
> Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
> 
> Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
> manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
> crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
> this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
> hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
> originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
> on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.
> 
> The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
> Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
> license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.

   Back when we used flexlm, it used the MAC address after DECnet
   changed it.  So if you're running DECnet, set the new system's DECnet
   address to the same as the old system's DECnet address.

   And yes, you can change the MAC address.  See the I/O User's Guide.
   It's the same thing DECnet does.

0
koehler2 (8314)
3/4/2005 7:05:42 PM
Jonathan Boswell wrote:
> Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
> 
> Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
> manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
> crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
> this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
> hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
> originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
> on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.
> 
> The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
> Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
> license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.


     If Bob's answer doesn't solve it for you (no DECNET on this
interface), I seem to recall that NICs used to have a plug-in
"chip" that carries the MAC address.  This was certainly true of
older NICs.  I don't know if it's the case with DE500's.

     OTOH, if the NIC is built-in, it may not have one of these
pluggable chips.  Do look the hardware over for something with
a sticker on it that reads like a MAC address...

	-Ken
-- 
I don't speak for Intel, Intel doesn't speak for me...

Ken Fairfield
D1C Automation VMS System Support
who:   kenneth dot h dot fairfield
where: intel dot com
0
My.Full.Name (343)
3/4/2005 7:44:25 PM
"Jonathan Boswell" <jsb.NOSP@M.cdrh.fda.gov> writes:

>Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?

As others mentioned, you probably have to change the hardware
address.

The ID ROM on the older ethernet interfaces was a 14 or 16 pin
DIP package.  Not sure exactly what a DEC 3000-500 had but most
likely one of these.

Looking at a DE500A card I see no such DIP.  They most likely used
smaller packages by then.

Looking at an older DE435 card I do see such a DIP package (16 pin).
Not sure if this is the ROM or not.

If it is, perhaps you can remove the ROM from the old computer and replace
it on a DE435/DE450 or similar and use it.  The cards are PCI so should 
work.  They are only 10Mb Ethernet however.  You will either have to put
up with that or somehow convince the licensed software to use it (it 
probably uses the 'first' device) and everything else to use a faster
interface like the DE500.
-- 
-Mike
0
moroney (989)
3/4/2005 8:48:09 PM
"Bob Koehler" <koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org> wrote in message
news:UqEUtkSEge6y@eisner.encompasserve.org...
>    Back when we used flexlm, it used the MAC address after DECnet
>    changed it.

IIRC, the numbers I sent to Research Systems and Mathworks many years ago
was the output of the

$ mcr ncp show known line characteristics

command, "Hardware address" in particular.  You will notice that this
address does not change when DECnet comes up.  I don't even know what you
call that address after DECnet changes it.

Regarding moving this MAC address, indeed the old beast does have a 16 pin
socketed DIP "chip" that says "Ethernet" on it.  I've already looked in all
my newer machines and I'm out of luck.  The closest I came was an
Alphaserver 2100 DE-something with some sort of flat-pack "chip" on it's
Ethernet board.  Everthing else has no socketed components at all.


0
Jonathan
3/4/2005 9:42:18 PM
Jonathan Boswell wrote:
> Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
> 
> Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
> manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
> crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
> this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
> hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
> originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
> on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.
> 
> The other applications are Research Systems IDL, and The Mathworks MATLAB.
> Both companies have long ago de-supported VMS and refuse to give me updated
> license data files to enable a move of flexlm to another node.
> 
> 
Jonathan:

It is possible and actually quite simple to re-write the MAC address of 
the DE500 card.  What you need is the SROM programming tool kit from the 
old Digital Semiconductor FTP site, here's a link:
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/networks-and-communications/software/dsc-software-nc.html
Scroll down to the SROM programming tool kit.
Download and copy all the files to a Windows formatted bootable floppy 
disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to 
the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500, 
write it to a yourfilename.txt file.  Edit the ADDR.LOG file, insert 
whatever address you want. Then invoke SROMPROD /address=yourfilename.txt
When prompted if you want to retain the existing address, answer no.  It 
write the MAC address from the ADDR.LOG file to the card.

TomC

Good luck!

TomC
0
spamsucks2 (29)
3/5/2005 5:31:29 AM
In article <Se1Wd.2754$Ny6.4823@mencken.net.nih.gov>, "Jonathan Boswell"
<jsb.NOSP@M.cdrh.fda.gov> wrote:

>Is there any way to change the MAC address on a DE500B?
>
>Here's my situation.  I have a single critical application (a license
>manager called flexlm) running on an old DEC 3000-500S whose I/O board
>crumped.  Front panel countdown stops at F0.  I would dearly love to migrate
>this application to a newer Alpha, but the application queries the ethernet
>hardware for it's MAC address to determine that it is running on the
>originally-licensed node.  It then serves licenses to 2 other applications
>on 8 other Alphas which are still in use.

The ethernet address for the DEC 3000-500s is in a ROM which is in a
socket on the IO board.  If you replace the IO board, you are supposed to
move the ROM over to the new board.  The ROM is a 16-pin DIP package
located close to the Dallas Real Time Clock.

You can likely obtain a replacement DEC 3000 system for little money, move
your disk(s) and ethernet ROM to the new system, and then you'll be back
in business.
0
rdeininger2 (410)
3/5/2005 9:21:10 PM
"Crabs" <spamsucks@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:iNCdnWWDyvte37TfRVn-3g@sunset.net...
> It is possible and actually quite simple to re-write the MAC address of
> the DE500 card.  What you need is the SROM programming tool kit from the
> old Digital Semiconductor FTP site, here's a link:

Tom you genius!

> Download and copy all the files to a Windows formatted bootable floppy

You must mean format /s because this package is nearly 1MB all by itself,
not including various Windows utilities on my recovery disks.

> disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to
> the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500,

This fails with an "unable to access CSR9" error.  The utility does find the
card and identifies it as a Digital Semiconductor 21143.  Got any ideas on
why I can't access CSR9?


0
Jonathan
3/7/2005 8:06:52 PM
Johnathan:
> 
> You must mean format /s because this package is nearly 1MB all by itself,
> not including various Windows utilities on my recovery disks.
Yes.
> 
> 
>>disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to
>>the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500,
> 
> 
> This fails with an "unable to access CSR9" error.  The utility does find the
> card and identifies it as a Digital Semiconductor 21143.  Got any ideas on
> why I can't access CSR9?
> 
I don't have a clue.  I've never seen this error before.
Where are you located?  I'm on the "Left Coast". ;-) (Sacramento, CA)
Contact me off-line, tomc@sunset*no_spam*.net
remove the obvious spam munge.
I can either program your card for you or send you a DE450 with your 
address on it. I've got lots of DE450's, but no DE500's to spare.

TomC

0
spam26 (14)
3/7/2005 9:32:10 PM
Just realized I gave the wrong email addy, here's the correct one:
tccrab*no_spam*@sunset.net



T

Jonathan Boswell wrote:

> "Crabs" <spamsucks@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:iNCdnWWDyvte37TfRVn-3g@sunset.net...
> 
>>It is possible and actually quite simple to re-write the MAC address of
>>the DE500 card.  What you need is the SROM programming tool kit from the
>>old Digital Semiconductor FTP site, here's a link:
> 
> 
> Tom you genius!
> 
> 
>>Download and copy all the files to a Windows formatted bootable floppy
> 
> 
> You must mean format /s because this package is nearly 1MB all by itself,
> not including various Windows utilities on my recovery disks.
> 
> 
>>disk. Place the DE500 card in a Windows 95/98/2000 system then boot to
>>the floppy. Use SROMUTIL to read the existing information on the DE500,
> 
> 
> This fails with an "unable to access CSR9" error.  The utility does find the
> card and identifies it as a Digital Semiconductor 21143.  Got any ideas on
> why I can't access CSR9?
> 
> 

0
spam26 (14)
3/11/2005 4:43:49 PM
"Tom Crabtree" <spam@sucks.com> wrote in message
news:DqSdnYOXudP4V6zfRVn-iQ@sunset.net...
> Just realized I gave the wrong email addy, here's the correct one:
> tccrab*no_spam*@sunset.net

Last Friday that was working, but as of Monday morning it bounces with a
"451 %TCPIP-E-SMTP_NOSUCHUSER" error.


0
Jonathan
3/14/2005 5:57:50 PM
Reply: