COBOL source code to create usersnames using SETUAI

Hi,

I'm on vms 7.3-1 and need to start testing external authentication
from our alpha's with Active directory, probably using something like
ldap.

I think my first hurdle is to create VMS usernames up to 32 characters
long - using $setuai service. Its been a long time since I cut cobol
code (cobol is the only compiler we have) and was wondering is some
kind soul out there could throw me some code where they have done this
before.

Thanx,
Martin.
0
martinren (1)
4/6/2004 7:25:22 AM
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

SETUAI cannot be used to create VMS accounts in SYSUAF.

--
+ WBR, OpenVMS [Sys|Net] HardWorker .................................+
Delta Telecom Inc., NMT-450i, IMT-MC-450(CDMA2000) cellular operator

0
Ruslan
4/6/2004 8:01:47 AM
Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on vms 7.3-1 and need to start testing external authentication
> from our alpha's with Active directory, probably using something like
> ldap.
>
> I think my first hurdle is to create VMS usernames up to 32 characters
> long - using $setuai service. Its been a long time since I cut cobol
> code (cobol is the only compiler we have) and was wondering is some
> kind soul out there could throw me some code where they have done this
> before.

VMS usernames only allow up to 12 characters. From the help in AUTHORIZE:

ADD

   Parameter

     newusername

        Specifies the name of the user record to be included in the
        SYSUAF. The newusername parameter is a string of 1 to 12
        alphanumeric characters and can contain underscores. Although
        dollar signs are permitted, they are usually reserved for system
        names.

0
nospam70 (814)
4/6/2004 9:50:52 AM

Martin,=20

As a suggestion, you would likely find it easier to use VMS V7.3-2 as
they have put some additional features in that release to deal with
external authentication db's like LDAP.

Reference:

Online OpenVMS/COBOL Doc's:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/cobol.html

ACME Overview (from V7.3-2 New Features)
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/aa-rv8xa-te/aa-rv8xa-te.HTML
"An evaluation version of the LDAP ACME agent is included in the ACME
Agent SDK. The LDAP ACME agent allows users to log into an OpenVMS
system using authentication information held in an LDAP directory, thus
allowing common authentication across many OpenVMS systems."

OpenVMS Security home:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/security.html

Regards

Kerry Main
Senior Consultant
HP Services Canada
Voice: 613-592-4660
Fax: 613-591-4477
Email: kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
(remove the DOT's and AT for email address)=20
0
kerry.main (1446)
4/6/2004 12:31:06 PM
In article <ebc6d817.0404052325.3334a3fb@posting.google.com>, martinren@hotmail.com (Martin) writes:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on vms 7.3-1 and need to start testing external authentication
> from our alpha's with Active directory, probably using something like
> ldap.
>
> I think my first hurdle is to create VMS usernames up to 32 characters
> long - using $setuai service. Its been a long time since I cut cobol
> code (cobol is the only compiler we have) and was wondering is some
> kind soul out there could throw me some code where they have done this
> before.

1. SETUAI does not support creating usernames.

2. VMS does not support usernames longer than 12 characters.

3. Telling more about your real goal might produce more help.
0
Kilgallen (2738)
4/6/2004 2:26:21 PM
"Ruslan R. Laishev" <Laishev{at}DeltaTelecom{dot}RU> wrote in message news:<35D8223EB09405A888379C92651C2CB5@nntp>...
> SETUAI cannot be used to create VMS accounts in SYSUAF

By the way, HP would donate "OpenVMS Management Tools for Windows" to
PointSecure ! May be PointSecure can improve th User Management
interfaces.

Regards

FC
> Martin wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm on vms 7.3-1 and need to start testing external authentication
> > from our alpha's with Active directory, probably using something like
> > ldap.
> >
> > I think my first hurdle is to create VMS usernames up to 32 characters
> > long - using $setuai service. Its been a long time since I cut cobol
> > code (cobol is the only compiler we have) and was wondering is some
> > kind soul out there could throw me some code where they have done this
> > before.
> >
> > Thanx,
> > Martin.

0
fabiopenvms (294)
4/6/2004 3:32:03 PM
Fabio Cardoso wrote:

> "Ruslan R. Laishev" <Laishev{at}DeltaTelecom{dot}RU> wrote in message news:<35D8223EB09405A888379C92651C2CB5@nntp>...
>
>>SETUAI cannot be used to create VMS accounts in SYSUAF
>

> By the way, HP would donate "OpenVMS Management Tools for Windows" to
> PointSecure ! May be PointSecure can improve th User Management
> interfaces.
	Have a look to AUTHORIZE sources...

--
Cheers, Ruslan.