Finding OpenVMS Programming Examples in HP's Natural Language Search Engine

As already reported in the following thread HP's Natural Language Search
Assistant has made it more difficult to find OpenVMS specific content.

http://tinylink.com/?B7PUXhhdNH

Many years of OpenVMS Engineering support documentation was once
directly available from the Ask VMS Site here...

Ask VMS
http://web.archive.org/web/20020201224123/http://www3.compaq.com/support/ask/askvms/

However, is now buried in the HP's Natural Language Search Assistant here...

http://h71029.www7.hp.com/

A couple years ago, I made a list of Programming Examples available at
the Ask VMS site organized by language or utility. These links no longer
work correctly, so I have done some experimentation on the HP's Natural
Language Search Assistant and found the following formula which works
much better (not perfect) at limiting the search to the OpenVMS
Engineering Support content.

http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
"&source=1000" at the end.

Here are my updated Programming Examples links...

ACMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ACMS&source=1000

ADA Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ADA&source=1000

APL Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+APL&source=1000

ALL-IN-1 Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ALL%20IN%201&source=1000

BASIC Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+BASIC&source=1000

BLISS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+BLISS&source=1000

C++ Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+C%2B%2B&source=1000

CMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+CMS&source=1000

COBOL Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+COBOL&source=1000

Datatrieve Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Datatrieve&source=1000

DCL Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+DCL&source=1000

DECforms Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+DECforms&source=1000

FMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+FMS&source=1000

Fortran Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Fortran&source=1000

GKS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+GKS&source=1000

Lexical Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Lexical&source=1000

LISP Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+LISP&source=1000

LSE Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+LSE&source=1000

MACRO Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+MACRO&source=1000

Motif Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Motif&source=1000

OPS5 Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+OPS5&source=1000

Pascal Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Pascal&source=1000

PHIGS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+PHIGS&source=1000

PL/I Examples - Ask VMS (search for Example+PL)
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+PL&source=1000

SORT Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+SORT&source=1000

TDMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+TDMS&source=1000

TPU Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+TPU&source=1000

Cheers!

Keith Cayemberg
comp.os.vms 21323 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2005-07-11 13:39, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:

> As already reported in the following thread HP's Natural Language Search
> Assistant has made it more difficult to find OpenVMS specific content.
>
> [...]
>
> http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
> You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
> Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
> "&source=1000" at the end.
>

> Here are my updated Programming Examples links...
>

> ACMS Examples - Ask VMS
> http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ACMS&source=1000
            ^^^^^^^^^

> [...]

Is "ciber.net" a part of HP?? I don't think so ...

| Ciber Network Services, Inc.
| 252 Fernwood Avenue
| Edison, NJ 08837
| US
|
| Domain Name: CIBER.NET
|
| Administrative Contact:
|    Edelman, Jeff		...@CIBER.NET
|    Ciber, Inc.
|    252 FERNWOOD AVE
|    EDISON, NJ 08837-3839
|    US
|    (732)225-1700 fax: (732)225-1973
|
| Technical Contact:
|    CIBER, Inc.		...@CIBER.NET
|    252 FERNWOOD AVE
|    EDISON, NJ 08837-3839
|    US
|    732-225-1700 fax: 732-225-1973
|
| Record expires on 23-Jun-2010.
| Record created on 24-Jun-1997.
| Database last updated on 11-Jul-2005 09:30:58 EDT.

(From "whois.networksolutions.com")

Michael

--
Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

Keith Cayemberg <keith.cayemberg@arcor.de> wrote:
> Here are my updated Programming Examples links...

Thanks a lot, Keith. These examples were very useful to me on more than
one occasion in the past. Good to see they're not lost.

cu,
  Martin
--
   OpenVMS @ 25      | Martin Vorlaender  |  OpenVMS rules!
                     | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de
   Still exceeding   |   http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
   expectations      | home: martin@radiogaga.harz.de
0
martin123 (148)
7/11/2005 5:52:09 PM
On 2005-07-11 13:39, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:

> [...]
>
> http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
> You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
> Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
> "&source=1000" at the end.
>
> [...]

Did anyone manage to get *more* than just 10 results displayed at a time?

Michael

--

Michael Unger wrote:
> On 2005-07-11 13:39, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:
>

>>[...]
>>
>>http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
>>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
>>Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
>>"&source=1000" at the end.
>>
>>[...]
>

> Did anyone manage to get *more* than just 10 results displayed at a time?
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

Well, actually I am (now) getting many more results which are also
mostly matching the query on following pages. However the search engine
is still substituting my keywords with synonyms. If you try the query
above, the word "sample" is used as an equivalent for "Example", and
also finds matches with "VMS" and "Sample", but no "Example" in it.

I have also noticed that I'm now getting the VMS Engineering Content
without using the "&source=1000" suffix. It appears to me that someone
may be improving the engines behavior?

I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the search
engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.

Cheers!

Keith Cayemberg
On 2005-07-21 18:36, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:

> Well, actually I am (now) getting many more results which are also
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> mostly matching the query on following pages. However the search engine
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> is still substituting my keywords with synonyms. If you try the query
> above, the word "sample" is used as an equivalent for "Example", and
> also finds matches with "VMS" and "Sample", but no "Example" in it.

That is *exactly* my problem -- in most cases I get results ("hits") in
the 4- to 5-digit number range; I suspect the keywords concatenated by
"+" are interpreted as "contains *any* of the words" instead of
"contains *all* of the words".

> [...]
>
> I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
> characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the search
> engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.

That's another problem ...

Michael

--

Keith Cayemberg wrote:
> I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
> characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the
> search engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.

Don't hold your breath, the ITRC people knew that the search engine was
broken before they shutdown the old (slow but usable) WIS interface.
Rather than taking the problem up the chain of command and telling the
boss that a mistake was made they simply told me that the decision was
made and would not be changed.

Remember when people at DEC were told "Do the right thing" and problems
would get raised to whatever level it took to get them fixed? I miss
those days.

--�
Peter Weaver
Weaver Consulting Services Inc.
Canadian VAR for CHARON-VAX
www.weaverconsulting.ca

Peter Weaver wrote:
> Keith Cayemberg wrote:

>>I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
>>characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the
>>search engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.
>

> Don't hold your breath, the ITRC people knew that the search engine was
> broken before they shutdown the old (slow but usable) WIS interface.
> Rather than taking the problem up the chain of command and telling the
> boss that a mistake was made they simply told me that the decision was
> made and would not be changed.
>
> Remember when people at DEC were told "Do the right thing" and problems
> would get raised to whatever level it took to get them fixed? I miss
> those days.

Maybe this is a real good topic to approach Mark Hurd with.  If he's
interested in customer satisfaction, then he might not like anyone below
the decision maker, or his supervisor, telling customers such things.

Then again, I've yet to be convinced that HP cares about customers.
That particular part of Compaq is probably the worst part of the
acquisition.

--
David Froble                       Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc.      Fax: 724-529-0596

Dave Froble wrote:

> Then again, I've yet to be convinced that HP cares about customers.
> That particular part of Compaq is probably the worst part of the
> acquisition.

There was a good part?  ;-)

searching for doc: "ntp as an indicator of impending hardware failures"
Hi Everyone, I've been searching for a doc I saw previously regarding how high jitter/dispersion can indicate impending hardware failures, but in my last 2 attempts haven't been able to find it. I'm also interested in docs regarding NTP and power quality. Thanks Justin PS: please cc: me on replies _______________________________________________ questions mailing list questions@lists.ntp.org https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/questions > I've been searching for a doc I saw previously regarding how high > jitter/dispersion can indicate impending hardware failures,...

Find and Grep together
Hi All, I am sorry if this is not the right group for this question. I am using find and grep together to find a string in a file from the top level directories. find . -name "*.c" -exec grep "string" {} \; -print | more. | \/ top level directorie I am sure that the string I am searching is in the lower directories where I am searching but this command is unable to find the string which I am looking. Can anyone please help me. My version control tool is clear case and my config spec also supports all the files....

Job Opening
This is a multipart message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_082C_01CADA4F.826662A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit DNS Pre-Sales Engineer Afilias USA, Inc. is searching for a DNS Pre-Sales Engineer to join our team in Horsham, PA, to perform the following duties: o Work with DNS Sales Executives to provide product and technical knowledge in support of pre-sales activities. o Production of responses to requests for information and requests for pricing. o Work with development team to un...

How to find out the current version of the MySQL installation ?
How to find out (from the command line under Linux) the current version of the MySQL installation ? Or is there a config file which contains the version number ? Werner Werner Sammer <wersam@yahoo.de> wrote: > How to find out (from the command line under Linux) > the current version of the MySQL installation ? > Or is there a config file which contains the version number ? > Werner Command line: mysql --version Regards, Johan -- _____________________________________ Ing. Johan van Oostrum chaos geordend - www.chaosgeordend.nl _____________________________________ >...

finding max
Hello all I have a matrix a = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 now I call max(a) ans = 9 10 11 12 to find the max, I have to call max(max(a)) Is there any way I can get the max of a matrix in one command? Thanks sore wrote: > > Hello all > > I have a matrix > > a = > > 1 2 3 4 > 5 6 7 8 > 9 10 11 12 > > now I call > > max(a) > > ans = > > 9 10 11 12 > > to find the max, I have to call max(max(a)) > > Is there any way I can get the max of a matrix > in one command? >...

US-TX-Austin: Server Program Analyst, PowerBuilder, Sybase SQL Server or DBS, Po (45350457605)
US-TX-Austin: Server Program Analyst, PowerBuilder, Sybase SQL Server or DBS, Po (45350457605) ============================================================================================== Position: Server Program Analyst Reference: ZYD00033 Location: Austin TX Duration: 6-12 mos. Skills: PowerBuilder Sybase SQL Server or DBS PowerTool PFC GUI User interface design standards CCC Harvest Mercury Loadrunner/Test Director Windows desktop clients o...

New to Ruby, New to Programming.
I just started programming about a month ago. I've started learning Ruby, C++, and Java just to get a feel for languages. I'm really liking ruby but I'm getting bored of doing super basic programs.(No more Hello World's) At the same time I'm totally lost when looking at any of the code snippets posted on this forum. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for getting better/more familiar without taking a class(I'm going to take one next semester at school) Thanks for your time, Blackice115 -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. [Note: parts of this message...

Call for Papers Reminder (extended): The 2008 International Conference of Information Security and Internet Engineering (ICISIE 2008)
CFP: The 2008 International Conference of Information Security and Internet Engineering (ICISIE 2008) From: International Association of Engineers Draft Paper Submission Deadline (extended): 22 March, 2008 Camera-Ready papers & Pre-registration Due: 8 April, 2008 ICISIE 2008: 2-4 July, 2008, London, U.K. http://www.iaeng.org/WCE2008/ICISIE2008.html The conference ICISIE'08 is held under the World Congress on Engineering 2008. The WCE 2008 is organized by the International Association of Engineers (IAENG), a non-profit international association for the engineers and the co...

US-MI-Houghton: Ph.D/Doctorate Biological Engineering: Biological Materials exp. (45293132413)
US-MI-Houghton: Ph.D/Doctorate Biological Engineering: Biological Materials exp. (45293132413) ============================================================================================== Position: Ph.D/Doctorate Biological Engineering Reference: RWP00003 Location: Houghton MI Duration: Skills: Ph.D or Doctorate in Biological Engineering with experience in Biological Materials. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45293132413. ...

Narrowed down bottlneck to disk, how can I find out which FS is being hammered? 100% utilization
In my process of drilling down to get to the bottom of our performance issues, I am seeing huge I/O wait on a particular disk. What tools are available to dig deeper, find out which file system is hammering the disk and/or which processes are hogging the CPUS? We are talking 100% utilization here: mpstat output: CPU minf mjf xcal intr ithr csw icsw migr smtx srw syscl usr sys wt idl 0 199 0 259 12 2 176 9 22 30 0 1882 11 6 83 0 1 205 0 259 204 194 176 8 23 34 0 1801 11 5 84 0 2 203 0 289 34 23 176 7 23 31 ...

Find it all
Find it all http://asb-comm-logicx.net/ ...

(215) US-PA-Horsham: Design Verification/Test Engineer (43373)
********************************************************************** This job posting is brought to you by ISHUNTER.COM, offering computer jobs for programmers, engineers, systems analysts, network administrators and other high technology professionals. Search over 3,000 IS/IT jobs in the United States by clicking on http://www.ISHunter.com ********************************************************************** Title ...... Design Verification/Test Engineer Skills ..... IP Network Protocols, VOiP, C/C++/Development, Configuration Management Location ... Horsham, PA ...

Mail Program Bug(?)
Apple Mail 1.3.11 running under OS X (10.3.9). (Interested parties are invited to try this, with a message they plan to delete anyway.) View a message in the Inbox (in the pane under the one showing lines with From, Subject, Date, etc.). Highlight (select) some text. Go to the Edit menu and choose Delete. The entire message disappears. Go to the (Mail program) Trash. There is the message. Now select another folder, then go back to the Trash. Gone! Does anyone have any idea if it can be recovered--and how to do it? Is this a known bug? Thanks for any information. ...

problem in modular programing
lets look at the code given below here i m trying to do mudular programming /* this is my main prog.*/ /*mmod.c*/ #include<stdio.h> #include "mod1.h" int main(void) { int n; puts("enter the value of n"); scanf("%d",&n); printf("the square of %d is :- %ld",n,sqr(n)); return 0; } /*this is my secondary module */ /*mod1.c*/ #include "mod1.h" long sqr(int x) { return ((long)((x)*(x))); } /*this is my header file*/ /*mod1.h*/ long sqr(int x); when i compile main & secondary module,every thing is ok, but as i ...

Complicated Find Expression
Hi, I am having problems with my find expression. Basically I want to find to find all files that are _not_ in a test directory and then execute a grep statement on them. The result of that grep statement is further refined by another grep. Finally I would like to echo the result. My grep expression on works fine by itself. The problem is with the find integration. Here is my expression, followed by the output. Thanks for any suggestions/pointers, Mike find ./ -path '*test*' -prune -o -print -exec "grep -PRi 'out.print.*?[^/][^/].*?the' {} | grep -Pi 'out...

OT: Examples of Sandman's lovely design abilities
Just for fun... and because I know that when I point out Sandman's weaknesses it *does* help him to get better. So while it may irk him, in the long run I am doing him a favor. http://www.malarnetcity.se/atlas/calendar/ Looing at this page: <http://jonas.eklundh.com/texter/read.php?id=95978> I noted Sandman used the calendar listed here as an example. He is *proud* of his fine work and wants to show it off... and goodness gracious is it bad! Maybe it works in IE or something, but in both Firefox and Safari the page is done miserably. The calendar itself is shoved far down and his...

Benchmarking program to test C++ functions?
I have written two different insert functions in a C++ program and would like to test the difference in performance. Can you recommend any benchmarking software for C++ functions that can do this job? I am working under linux/ubuntu. desktop wrote: > I have written two different insert functions in a C++ program and would > like to test the difference in performance. > > Can you recommend any benchmarking software for C++ functions that can > do this job? I am working under linux/ubuntu. time(1)? -- Ian Collins. Ian Collins wrote: > desktop wrote: >> I have wri...

Major New Update of Popular Program for Resizing Images
Version 3 of JpegSizer -- a major update -- is now available from http://www.tangotools.com/jpegsizer/ When you need to resize images for emails or the web, JpegSizer offers a unique combination of features: 1. Fully automatic operation 2. Figures out what JPEG compression will achieve the file size you want 3. Resizes pixel dimensions with constraints on both width and height, so that vertical and horizontal images display with the same area 4. Option to sharpen images after resizing 5. Stores your settings for different projects (email attachments, thumbnails, web images...

[ace-users] Can't find ACEd.dll
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C7A8F9.1452B078 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi=20 =20 ACE VERSION: 5.5.8 =20 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Win XP=20 If on Windows based OS's, which version of WINSOCK do you use?: don't know =20 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): =20 THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform- specific f...

Job bay area Linux SQA engineer needed ASAP
If you know someone very senior who has excellent Linux skills, shell scripting (must), programming languages (optional) and is very exceptionally strong on Linux/Unix, I must get the resume ASAP. Job needs someone who has previously done some automation (company does not use any specific tools like silk or anything like that) and works well with people. Knowing XFree86 helps. Knowledge of graphics (OpenGL) makes candiddate perfect. This is a QA position, but programmers with QA experience are fine too. Company does not sponsor H-1 visas, so please do not waste yours and someon...

ow-find without sun 'find' key
I've just moved over to a windows platform from solaris and have installed the windows version of xemacs 21.4. I'm having severe withdrawal symptoms from the loss of the sun 'find' key. So to correct this I would like to bind the M-s key combo to the ow-find function and M-S-s to the ow-find-backward function. I have 2 problems trying to achieve this. 1. I have sucessfully bound the M-s keys to the 'ow-find function using the following code in the init.el file. (define-key global-map [(meta ?s)] 'ow-find) However when I execute the function it returns the follo...

find breakpoint programmatically
Hi All, &nbsp; I accidentally posted this question in the special interest forum by mistake so sorry for the duplicate post but i thought it might never get read over there. <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=BreakPoint&amp;message.id=4162" target="_blank">http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=BreakPoint&amp;message.id=4162</a> &nbsp; Hi all, &nbsp; I was wondering if there is a way to search the vi hierachy for breakpoints programmatically?&nbsp; Why you may ask? &nbsp; I have a piece of code that take...

Re: SAS(Mainframe(JCL,VSAM); VB Programming)
On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 09:20:42 -0700, Raj <jagannadhraj@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >HI Everyone, > > > If anyone could help me with information regarding the Use >of JCL , VSAM and VB programming in SAS, Like real-time working >examples, study materials, program coding examples, Interview >questions I would sincerely appreciate them > >Thanks in Advance. > >Raj what is VB? Visual Basic? Maybe it is possible to call compiled VB modules in SAS. I never tried that. Another thing is SAS/Toolkit. It is a environment to write SAS modules (functions, engines, P...

I need to find the rows that exist in one table but not in the other with condition
I need to find the rows that exist in one table but not in the other with this condition: (prod_name exist in table1 and not in table2.prod_name ) AND (prod_name exist in table1 and not in table2.'S'+prod_name ) explanation: i want to know if the product not exit and if the combination of the charachter "S" with the product Name also not exist at the other table B.R yuvi SELECT prod_name FROM table1 as A WHERE NOT EXISTS (select * from table2 as B where A.prod_name = B.prod_name) AND NOT EXISTS (select * from table2 as C where A....

US-NJ: Jersey City-Principal Software Engineer/Developer
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Principal Software Engineer/Developer - PRIME Services Job Location: NJ: Jersey City Pay Rate: Open Job Length: full time Start Date: 2009-02-25 Company Name: Fidelity Investments Contact: Recruiter Phone: email...