Finding OpenVMS Programming Examples in HP's Natural Language Search Engine

As already reported in the following thread HP's Natural Language Search
Assistant has made it more difficult to find OpenVMS specific content.

http://tinylink.com/?B7PUXhhdNH

Many years of OpenVMS Engineering support documentation was once
directly available from the Ask VMS Site here...

Ask VMS
http://web.archive.org/web/20020201224123/http://www3.compaq.com/support/ask/askvms/

However, is now buried in the HP's Natural Language Search Assistant here...

http://h71029.www7.hp.com/

A couple years ago, I made a list of Programming Examples available at
the Ask VMS site organized by language or utility. These links no longer
work correctly, so I have done some experimentation on the HP's Natural
Language Search Assistant and found the following formula which works
much better (not perfect) at limiting the search to the OpenVMS
Engineering Support content.

http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
"&source=1000" at the end.

Here are my updated Programming Examples links...

ACMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ACMS&source=1000

ADA Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ADA&source=1000

APL Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+APL&source=1000

ALL-IN-1 Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ALL%20IN%201&source=1000

BASIC Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+BASIC&source=1000

BLISS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+BLISS&source=1000

C++ Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+C%2B%2B&source=1000

CMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+CMS&source=1000

COBOL Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+COBOL&source=1000

Datatrieve Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Datatrieve&source=1000

DCL Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+DCL&source=1000

DECforms Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+DECforms&source=1000

FMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+FMS&source=1000

Fortran Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Fortran&source=1000

GKS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+GKS&source=1000

Lexical Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Lexical&source=1000

LISP Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+LISP&source=1000

LSE Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+LSE&source=1000

MACRO Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+MACRO&source=1000

Motif Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Motif&source=1000

OPS5 Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+OPS5&source=1000

Pascal Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Pascal&source=1000

PHIGS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+PHIGS&source=1000

PL/I Examples - Ask VMS (search for Example+PL)
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+PL&source=1000

SORT Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+SORT&source=1000

TDMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+TDMS&source=1000

TPU Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+TPU&source=1000

Cheers!

Keith Cayemberg
comp.os.vms 21795 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2005-07-11 13:39, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:

> As already reported in the following thread HP's Natural Language Search
> Assistant has made it more difficult to find OpenVMS specific content.
>
> [...]
>
> http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
> You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
> Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
> "&source=1000" at the end.
>

> Here are my updated Programming Examples links...
>

> ACMS Examples - Ask VMS
> http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ACMS&source=1000
            ^^^^^^^^^

> [...]

Is "ciber.net" a part of HP?? I don't think so ...

| Ciber Network Services, Inc.
| 252 Fernwood Avenue
| Edison, NJ 08837
| US
|
| Domain Name: CIBER.NET
|
| Administrative Contact:
|    Edelman, Jeff		...@CIBER.NET
|    Ciber, Inc.
|    252 FERNWOOD AVE
|    EDISON, NJ 08837-3839
|    US
|    (732)225-1700 fax: (732)225-1973
|
| Technical Contact:
|    CIBER, Inc.		...@CIBER.NET
|    252 FERNWOOD AVE
|    EDISON, NJ 08837-3839
|    US
|    732-225-1700 fax: 732-225-1973
|
| Record expires on 23-Jun-2010.
| Record created on 24-Jun-1997.
| Database last updated on 11-Jul-2005 09:30:58 EDT.

(From "whois.networksolutions.com")

Michael

--
Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

Keith Cayemberg <keith.cayemberg@arcor.de> wrote:
> Here are my updated Programming Examples links...

Thanks a lot, Keith. These examples were very useful to me on more than
one occasion in the past. Good to see they're not lost.

cu,
  Martin
--
   OpenVMS @ 25      | Martin Vorlaender  |  OpenVMS rules!
                     | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de
   Still exceeding   |   http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
   expectations      | home: martin@radiogaga.harz.de
0
martin123 (148)
7/11/2005 5:52:09 PM
On 2005-07-11 13:39, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:

> [...]
>
> http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
> You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
> Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
> "&source=1000" at the end.
>
> [...]

Did anyone manage to get *more* than just 10 results displayed at a time?

Michael

--

Michael Unger wrote:
> On 2005-07-11 13:39, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:
>

>>[...]
>>
>>http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
>>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
>>Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
>>"&source=1000" at the end.
>>
>>[...]
>

> Did anyone manage to get *more* than just 10 results displayed at a time?
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

Well, actually I am (now) getting many more results which are also
mostly matching the query on following pages. However the search engine
is still substituting my keywords with synonyms. If you try the query
above, the word "sample" is used as an equivalent for "Example", and
also finds matches with "VMS" and "Sample", but no "Example" in it.

I have also noticed that I'm now getting the VMS Engineering Content
without using the "&source=1000" suffix. It appears to me that someone
may be improving the engines behavior?

I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the search
engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.

Cheers!

Keith Cayemberg
On 2005-07-21 18:36, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:

> Well, actually I am (now) getting many more results which are also
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> mostly matching the query on following pages. However the search engine
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> is still substituting my keywords with synonyms. If you try the query
> above, the word "sample" is used as an equivalent for "Example", and
> also finds matches with "VMS" and "Sample", but no "Example" in it.

That is *exactly* my problem -- in most cases I get results ("hits") in
the 4- to 5-digit number range; I suspect the keywords concatenated by
"+" are interpreted as "contains *any* of the words" instead of
"contains *all* of the words".

> [...]
>
> I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
> characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the search
> engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.

That's another problem ...

Michael

--

Keith Cayemberg wrote:
> I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
> characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the
> search engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.

Don't hold your breath, the ITRC people knew that the search engine was
broken before they shutdown the old (slow but usable) WIS interface.
Rather than taking the problem up the chain of command and telling the
boss that a mistake was made they simply told me that the decision was
made and would not be changed.

Remember when people at DEC were told "Do the right thing" and problems
would get raised to whatever level it took to get them fixed? I miss
those days.

--�
Peter Weaver
Weaver Consulting Services Inc.
Canadian VAR for CHARON-VAX
www.weaverconsulting.ca

Peter Weaver wrote:
> Keith Cayemberg wrote:

>>I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
>>characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the
>>search engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.
>

> Don't hold your breath, the ITRC people knew that the search engine was
> broken before they shutdown the old (slow but usable) WIS interface.
> Rather than taking the problem up the chain of command and telling the
> boss that a mistake was made they simply told me that the decision was
> made and would not be changed.
>
> Remember when people at DEC were told "Do the right thing" and problems
> would get raised to whatever level it took to get them fixed? I miss
> those days.

Maybe this is a real good topic to approach Mark Hurd with.  If he's
interested in customer satisfaction, then he might not like anyone below
the decision maker, or his supervisor, telling customers such things.

Then again, I've yet to be convinced that HP cares about customers.
That particular part of Compaq is probably the worst part of the
acquisition.

--
David Froble                       Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc.      Fax: 724-529-0596

Dave Froble wrote:

> Then again, I've yet to be convinced that HP cares about customers.
> That particular part of Compaq is probably the worst part of the
> acquisition.

There was a good part?  ;-)