Finding OpenVMS Programming Examples in HP's Natural Language Search Engine

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

As already reported in the following thread HP's Natural Language Search
Assistant has made it more difficult to find OpenVMS specific content.

http://tinylink.com/?B7PUXhhdNH

Many years of OpenVMS Engineering support documentation was once
directly available from the Ask VMS Site here...

Ask VMS
http://web.archive.org/web/20020201224123/http://www3.compaq.com/support/ask/askvms/

However, is now buried in the HP's Natural Language Search Assistant here...

http://h71029.www7.hp.com/

A couple years ago, I made a list of Programming Examples available at
the Ask VMS site organized by language or utility. These links no longer
work correctly, so I have done some experimentation on the HP's Natural
Language Search Assistant and found the following formula which works
much better (not perfect) at limiting the search to the OpenVMS
Engineering Support content.

http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
"&source=1000" at the end.

Here are my updated Programming Examples links...

ACMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ACMS&source=1000

ADA Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ADA&source=1000

APL Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+APL&source=1000

ALL-IN-1 Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ALL%20IN%201&source=1000

BASIC Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+BASIC&source=1000

BLISS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+BLISS&source=1000

C++ Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+C%2B%2B&source=1000

CMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+CMS&source=1000

COBOL Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+COBOL&source=1000

Datatrieve Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Datatrieve&source=1000

DCL Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+DCL&source=1000

DECforms Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+DECforms&source=1000

FMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+FMS&source=1000

Fortran Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Fortran&source=1000

GKS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+GKS&source=1000

Lexical Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Lexical&source=1000

LISP Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+LISP&source=1000

LSE Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+LSE&source=1000

MACRO Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+MACRO&source=1000

Motif Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Motif&source=1000

OPS5 Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+OPS5&source=1000

Pascal Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+Pascal&source=1000

PHIGS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+PHIGS&source=1000

PL/I Examples - Ask VMS (search for Example+PL)
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+PL&source=1000

SORT Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+SORT&source=1000

TDMS Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+TDMS&source=1000

TPU Examples - Ask VMS
http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+TPU&source=1000

Cheers!

Keith Cayemberg
0
Reply keith.cayemberg2 (363) 7/11/2005 11:39:51 AM

See related articles to this posting

On 2005-07-11 13:39, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:

> As already reported in the following thread HP's Natural Language Search
> Assistant has made it more difficult to find OpenVMS specific content.
>
> [...]
>
> http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
> You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
> Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
> "&source=1000" at the end.
>

> Here are my updated Programming Examples links...
>

> ACMS Examples - Ask VMS
> http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+ACMS&source=1000
            ^^^^^^^^^

> [...]

Is "ciber.net" a part of HP?? I don't think so ...

| Ciber Network Services, Inc.
| 252 Fernwood Avenue
| Edison, NJ 08837
| US
|
| Domain Name: CIBER.NET
|
| Administrative Contact:
|    Edelman, Jeff		...@CIBER.NET
|    Ciber, Inc.
|    252 FERNWOOD AVE
|    EDISON, NJ 08837-3839
|    US
|    (732)225-1700 fax: (732)225-1973
|
| Technical Contact:
|    CIBER, Inc.		...@CIBER.NET
|    252 FERNWOOD AVE
|    EDISON, NJ 08837-3839
|    US
|    732-225-1700 fax: 732-225-1973
|
| Record expires on 23-Jun-2010.
| Record created on 24-Jun-1997.
| Database last updated on 11-Jul-2005 09:30:58 EDT.

(From "whois.networksolutions.com")

Michael

--
Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

0
Reply spam.to.unger (428) 7/11/2005 2:01:29 PM

Keith Cayemberg <keith.cayemberg@arcor.de> wrote:
> Here are my updated Programming Examples links...

Thanks a lot, Keith. These examples were very useful to me on more than
one occasion in the past. Good to see they're not lost.

cu,
  Martin
--
   OpenVMS @ 25      | Martin Vorlaender  |  OpenVMS rules!
                     | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de
   Still exceeding   |   http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
   expectations      | home: martin@radiogaga.harz.de
0
Reply martin123 (148) 7/11/2005 5:52:09 PM

On 2005-07-11 13:39, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:

> [...]
>
> http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
> You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
> Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
> "&source=1000" at the end.
>
> [...]

Did anyone manage to get *more* than just 10 results displayed at a time?

Michael

--
Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

0
Reply spam.to.unger (428) 7/21/2005 3:59:52 PM

Michael Unger wrote:
> On 2005-07-11 13:39, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:
>

>>[...]
>>
>>http://hp.ciber.net/hp/match.asp?query=Example+VMS&source=1000
>>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>You can replace the "Example+VMS" with the keywords you wish to search.
>>Important for selecting the VMS Engineering content is the
>>"&source=1000" at the end.
>>
>>[...]
>

> Did anyone manage to get *more* than just 10 results displayed at a time?
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

Well, actually I am (now) getting many more results which are also
mostly matching the query on following pages. However the search engine
is still substituting my keywords with synonyms. If you try the query
above, the word "sample" is used as an equivalent for "Example", and
also finds matches with "VMS" and "Sample", but no "Example" in it.

I have also noticed that I'm now getting the VMS Engineering Content
without using the "&source=1000" suffix. It appears to me that someone
may be improving the engines behavior?

I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the search
engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.

Cheers!

Keith Cayemberg
0
Reply keith.cayemberg2 (363) 7/21/2005 4:36:36 PM

On 2005-07-21 18:36, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:

> Well, actually I am (now) getting many more results which are also
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> mostly matching the query on following pages. However the search engine
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> is still substituting my keywords with synonyms. If you try the query
> above, the word "sample" is used as an equivalent for "Example", and
> also finds matches with "VMS" and "Sample", but no "Example" in it.

That is *exactly* my problem -- in most cases I get results ("hits") in
the 4- to 5-digit number range; I suspect the keywords concatenated by
"+" are interpreted as "contains *any* of the words" instead of
"contains *all* of the words".

> [...]
>
> I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
> characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the search
> engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.

That's another problem ...

Michael

--
Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

0
Reply spam.to.unger (428) 7/21/2005 6:46:14 PM

Keith Cayemberg wrote:
> I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
> characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the
> search engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.

Don't hold your breath, the ITRC people knew that the search engine was
broken before they shutdown the old (slow but usable) WIS interface.
Rather than taking the problem up the chain of command and telling the
boss that a mistake was made they simply told me that the decision was
made and would not be changed.

Remember when people at DEC were told "Do the right thing" and problems
would get raised to whatever level it took to get them fixed? I miss
those days.

--�
Peter Weaver
Weaver Consulting Services Inc.
Canadian VAR for CHARON-VAX
www.weaverconsulting.ca

0
Reply newsgroup10 (67) 7/21/2005 8:46:12 PM

Peter Weaver wrote:
> Keith Cayemberg wrote:

>>I don't believe they have improved the interpretation of special
>>characters like "$" "-" or "[" yet. If I try to find F$EDIT, the
>>search engine uses EDIT and ignores the F and $ signs.
>

> Don't hold your breath, the ITRC people knew that the search engine was
> broken before they shutdown the old (slow but usable) WIS interface.
> Rather than taking the problem up the chain of command and telling the
> boss that a mistake was made they simply told me that the decision was
> made and would not be changed.
>
> Remember when people at DEC were told "Do the right thing" and problems
> would get raised to whatever level it took to get them fixed? I miss
> those days.

Maybe this is a real good topic to approach Mark Hurd with.  If he's
interested in customer satisfaction, then he might not like anyone below
the decision maker, or his supervisor, telling customers such things.

Then again, I've yet to be convinced that HP cares about customers.
That particular part of Compaq is probably the worst part of the
acquisition.

--
David Froble                       Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc.      Fax: 724-529-0596

Dave Froble wrote:

> Then again, I've yet to be convinced that HP cares about customers.
> That particular part of Compaq is probably the worst part of the
> acquisition.

There was a good part?  ;-)

0
Reply johnhreinhardt (469) 7/22/2005 2:38:45 AM
comp.os.vms 20832 articles. 11 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Finding OpenVMS Programming Examples in HP's Natural Language Search Engine
As already reported in the following thread HP's Natural Language Search Assistant has made it more difficult to find OpenVMS specific content. http://tinylink.com/?B7PUXhhdNH Many years of OpenVMS Engineering support documentation was once directly available from the Ask VMS Site here... Ask VMS http://web.archive.org/web/20020201224123/http://www3.compaq.com/support/ask/askvms/ However, is now buried in the HP's Natural Language Search Assistant here... http://h71029.www7.hp.com/ A couple years ago, I made a list of Programming Examples available at the Ask VMS site organiz...

Next-gen natural language search engine
This looks kind of cool: "The search engine utilizes a system that organizes information into logical constructs and ideas as opposed to keywords." http://www.syntheticthought.com/artificial-intelligence/39-the-internet/82-next-generation-search-engine-uses-natural-language Rob Stevens wrote: > http://www.syntheticthought.com/artificial-intelligence/39-the-internet/82-next-generation-search-engine-uses-natural-language "BrainDamage Ltd". Not a name my marketing department would have come up with for such an enterprise. At least Powerset had a demo: http://www.power...

Natural Language Processing ? Desktop Search Engine
NeuDESK, an Intelligent Desktop Search Engine ? Find and get your information quickly from your desktop, using Natural Language Commands to command your computer. Visit http://www.nt4me.com Search your computer for anything by giving your computer commands. It?s like google on your desktop, but even better cause it can search your whole computer for just about anything. You can type in commands with keywords and your computer will find it , play it, watch it, back up your information, set alarms, find songs, find contacts, e-mail somebody, find your documents. NeuDESK Su...

Natural Language Processing ? Desktop Search Engine #2
NeuDESK, an Intelligent Desktop Search Engine ? Find and get your information quickly from your desktop, using Natural Language Commands to command your computer. Visit http://www.nt4me.com Search your computer for anything by giving your computer commands. It?s like google on your desktop, but even better cause it can search your whole computer for just about anything. You can type in commands with keywords and your computer will find it , play it, watch it, back up your information, set alarms, find songs, find contacts, e-mail somebody, find your documents. NeuDESK Su...

Wanted advice on natural language for web search engine.
Hi all, I'm developing a location-based search engine for a few New York neighborhoods and was hoping that I could get some advice on natural language processing. Specifically, I'd like to figure out how to answers questions like these: 1) "Where can I find the best pizza on the Upper West Side?" For questions like this one, I would like the engine to respond by searching for Upper West Side restaurants that users have rated highly for their pizza. 2) "Where do I go to have fun this weekend?" With questions like these, I would like the engine to use ...

Wanted advice on natural language for web search engine.
Hi all, I'm developing a location-based search engine for a few New York neighborhoods and was hoping that I could get some advice on natural language processing. Specifically, I'd like to figure out how to answers questions like these: 1) "Where can I find the best pizza on the Upper West Side?" For questions like this one, I would like the engine to respond by searching for Upper West Side restaurants that users have rated highly for their pizza. 2) "Where do I go to have fun this weekend?" With questions like these, I would like the engine to use more question...

Wanted advice on natural language for web search engine.
Hi all, I'm developing a location-based search engine for a few New York neighborhoods and was hoping that I could get some advice on natural language processing. Specifically, I'd like to figure out how to answers questions like these: 1) "Where can I find the best pizza on the Upper West Side?" For questions like this one, I would like the engine to respond by searching for Upper West Side restaurants that users have rated highly for their pizza. 2) "Where do I go to have fun this weekend?" With questions like these, I would like the engine to use ...

Looking for programming examples in any programming language
I run a website called Rosetta Code, where the goal is to enable comparison and learning of programming languages by seeing how a programming task is implemented in multiple languages. I started it back in January as a MediaWiki setup, hoping it would grow into an encyclopedia of programming knowledge. It never became an encyclopedia, but it *did* accumulate a hefty amount of code, with 94 tasks solved using 64 programming languages. (Mind you, not all tasks are solved in all programming languages.) I've been particularly pleased to see experimental and rare programming languages...

Logical, natural language based programming language (t3d)
Hi folks, (Perhaps this issue is topical here? ) t3d is almost C, but with an insertion of logical & natural language and the C's missing stuff. t3d's insertion to C part: - easy to learn (2 page documentation; learns user to use an unlimited number of std conforming t3d functions) - enables programming to be based on any of the worlds written languages - easy enough to allow limited end-user (at least script) programing - contains a borrowed GUI, garbage collection and networking , string boundaries etc. - may be the most powerful programming language. - suitable for appl...

HP DSPP program, OpenVMS SDK, Q3CY2004 OpenVMS Software Products Library
To anyone here who is a DSPP member... Do you have as many issue with this DSPP program as I. The web site is virtually useless to navigate. I haven't received the OpenVMS Software Products Libraries when I should. A complete lack of communication from DSPP -- unless they want money. ;o Does anyone here have a Q3CY2004 OpenVMS Software Products Library that they're will to part with? I miss the ASAP program. -- http://www.ProvN.com for the *best* OpenVMS system security solutions that others only claim to be. -- Cyber-Terrorism (si'-ber tayr'-or-i...

Natural language programming?
I am looking for a high level programming language which is very easy to read and write. Close to natural language. I have looked at SNOBOL and REBOL lately, and like them. Of course SNOBOL is old and probably not useful today, and REBOL is proprietary and closed source. I want to know if there are some good alternatives I should look at. I have also looked at string and file processing programs like Minitrue, sed, etc.. Those are the kind of operations which are important to me, to change strings in files. I have looked at perl and found it totally unreadable without a long training. Cpp ...

Search engine program
Apologies for the mildly OT post. I'm in need of a new hobby :) and was thinking about setting up a niche search engine (for a specific country). Would like your thoughts on what software to use. I've looked at Nutch/Lucene, however while this is an active opensource project I'm finding it difficult to set up and admin. (It seems like it's about the magnitude of when I broke into linux. Very powerful and worth the learning curve, but took me quite a while to become comfortable). ASPseek is also available, but it's a dead project. Apparently it also has difficul...

Program finding out what the engine is
I'm looking for a neat way for a program in 4GL (e.g. running on the Unix box) to tell if the database it's connected to is SE or IDS - that could be IDS 7.3, 93. or 9.4. We have a method from ages back to do with what binaries are in $INFORMIXDIR but I don't like that. It could look for a specific system catalogue or column in a system catalogue that is only present in IDS, or.... TIA :) 5 cats In newer versions of IDS you can use the dbinfo() routine: SELECT dbinfo('version','full') FROM systables WHERE tabid = 1; The second argument ...

2 May 2013 Open Source on OpenVMS conference call with HP OpenVMS Engineering
The next conference call in our fortnightly series is 2 May 2013 at 23:00 E= DT. If you follow this link (http://bit.ly/11sz76E) you can review the notes fr= om the conference call on 18 April. One item which was brought on which we looking for feedback is the time/day= of the calls. We know there are interested parties who would like to participate but who = find the 23:00 EDT time on Thursdays to be an issue. If you would be willing to send me your preferred time and day of week so w= e can look for an alternate meeting that that would be good. We would look= to do this ...

Programming Language Research Engine
I've created a new search engine at http://www.cdiggins.com/search/ for doing research on programming languages using the new Google co-op service. It has an emphasis on programming language theory, but searches the home pages of over 50 programming languages as well as many online textbooks, and citeseer. Let me know how it works for you, and if you have suggestions on how the search results can be tweaked to work better for you. -- Christopher Diggins http://www.cdiggins.com Hello Christopher, > I've created a new search engine at http://www.cdiggins.com/search/ for > doi...

Programming
Hi, I created a Google Custom Search Engine for searching on: "Software / Compilers / Optimization" This is basically a regular full Google search giving preference to certain sites. Of course I added sites such as IEEE, ACM, the universities, Rice, Stanford, Intel, Microsoft, HP, this site and others. The search results are indeed much more specific than the regular Google search. Try ity out! Additionally, if you are interested, please send me an email and I can enable your contributing to the search engine or add sites you believe should be given preference to. Over time, th...

Programming Language Research Engine
I've created a new search engine at http://www.cdiggins.com/search/ for doing research on programming languages using the new Google co-op service. It has an emphasis on programming language theory, but searches the home pages of over 50 programming languages. Let me know how it works for you, and if you have suggestions on how the search results can be tweaked to work better for you. -- Christopher Diggins http://www.cdiggins.com On Nov 23, 7:31 pm, "Christopher Diggins" <cdigg...@gmail.com> wrote: > I've created a new search engine athttp://www.cdiggins.com/se...

Programming languages: Calculator examples?
I'm curious about how a simple desk calculator is implemented in various languages, implemented using what most might consider the best techniques available in that language. It's easy to find examples, it's more difficult to know whether they'd be regarded as good. E.g., I found this Java Swing example: http://www.1javastreet.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=3794&lngWId=2. To my eye it looks absolutely hideous. I wonder if most programmers would regard this as a representative use of Swing. A better-looking example is in Ruby: http://ruby-gnome.sourceforge.ne...

Programming language comparison examples?
I thought there was a website which demonstrated how to program a bunch of small problems in a number of different languages. I know about the Programming Language Shootout: http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/ but that's not what I was thinking of. I thought there was a site with a bunch of smaller examples. I'm looking for a site with this sort of information to pass along to my son who's entering his sophomore year of college, has one Java course under his belt, and will take a second course in the fall. I'm hoping to reach him before his brain turns to mush. ;-) Th...

Natural language search for CDs
Hi there, My company is looking for software which provides a natural language search interface for a collection of documents on CD. The docs are in PDF/HTML format. I think dtSearch Publish offers natural language search, as do the big companies like Verity, Autonomy etc. I can't find any smaller companies which offer anything other than a simple keyword search. Does anyone know/have experience of any software which is capable of handling natural language search queries? Thanks in advance for your help. Best wishes, Anna ...

Re: Program finding out what the engine is
5 Cats said: > > I'm looking for a neat way for a program in 4GL (e.g. running on the > Unix box) to tell if the database it's connected to is SE or IDS - that > could be IDS 7.3, 93. or 9.4. We have a method from ages back to do > with what binaries are in $INFORMIXDIR but I don't like that. It could > look for a specific system catalogue or column in a system catalogue > that is only present in IDS, or.... I think the presence (or absence) of sysmaster should be enough. :o) -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n&#...

3D engines in functional programming languages?
Time for an annual sanity check. Never know what people have been up to. Is anyone aware of any open source or relatively low priced (under $10K) 3D engines that: - are implemented in a functional programming language? - have a binding for a functional programming language? - embed a functional programming language? (for a definition of "functional programming" please see) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming My personal interest is game development, but I'd like to stay aware of other 3D application domains as well. In making this post, I'm not saying I n...

Is it possible to find in what language a dll has been programmed?
Hi, Is there anyway to find if a dll or exe has been compiled from C++ or Delphi or whatever language? Santi posted: > Hi, > Is there anyway to find if a dll or exe has been compiled from C++ or > Delphi or whatever language? > > > Not unless the author wants that to be know. A DLL has a Windows file header, and that's followed by machine code. Try http://www.dependancywalker.com/ -JKop Santi wrote: > Is there anyway to find if a dll or exe has been compiled from C++ or Delphi > or whatever language? Generally speaking, no, it's not possible. V ...

ACCESSING MATLAB ENGINE in other Programming Languages
Hai, I wanted to know if we could access MATLAB engine , function through Java , or VB or VC++ etc. If so can you direct me to the resource thats explains this. Thanks in Advance, Bye, n k suresh kumar Of course. It's listed as a feature right there on the marketing brochure: http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/description1.html Just look it up on the vendor website (mex engine). -B. "Suresh Kumar" <nksureshkumar@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:eedfdca.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > Hai, > > I wanted to know if we could access MATLAB engine , fu...

[ANN] Programming Language Research Engine
I've created a new search engine at http://www.cdiggins.com/search/ for doing research on programming languages using the new Google co-op service. It has an emphasis on programming language theory, but also searches the home pages of over 50 programming languages as well as many online textbooks, and citeseer. Let me know how it works for you, and if you have suggestions on how the search results can be tweaked to work better for you. -- Christopher Diggins http://www.cdiggins.com Christopher Diggins said: > I've created a new search engine at http://www.cdiggins.com/search...