Hardware question (connecting a tape drive)

Hello

I have a VAX 4100 to which is connected a disk tower (SCSI) from the port on
the back of the VAX.

I think I can connect a tape drive to the inside of the disk tower, as I see
another port in there. But I don't have a cable that fits.

On the other hand, I do have a SCSI cable that can connect to the tape drive
directly from the VAX. As the tape drive has another connector, I figured I
could then go from there to the disk tower.

I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA devices
instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device MKA700) but
no more DK's.

So in a way the VAX sees the devices but does not correctly identify what
type they are.

The tape drive is like this one, at the bottom of the page you can see the
SCSI ports.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seagate-STD62400N-Ext--DAT-24-12%2F24Gb-DDS3-Tape-Drive_W0QQitemZ300378486086QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091217?IMSfp=TL091217187002r9830

Is there any way to serialize the connection of disk drives and a tape like
I tried to do ?

I can buy a cable to connect the tape to the disk tower, but I'm not evgen
sure this will work.

If someone can advise...

Thanks !
Syltrem

0
Syltrem
3/17/2010 4:27:23 PM
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Syltrem" <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote in message

> I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA devices instead of
> DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device MKA700) but no more DK's.

Seeing a SCSI device on all multiple unit numbers probably means you have resued
the host ID. They are usually set to 6 or 7.

0
Richard
3/17/2010 4:35:00 PM
"Richard Brodie" <R.Brodie@rl.ac.uk> wrote in message

> "Syltrem" <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>
>> I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA
>> devices instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device
>> MKA700) but no more DK's.
>
> Seeing a SCSI device on all multiple unit numbers probably means you have
> resued
> the host ID. They are usually set to 6 or 7.

Not sure what you mean but I had
MKA0
MKA100
MKA200
MKA300
MKA400
MKA500
MKA700

MKA700 is the tape drive, and the others are the disks. They just don't show
up as disks.

Syltrem

0
Syltrem
3/17/2010 5:11:37 PM
"Bob Koehler" <koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org> wrote in message
> In article <Np7on.68685$rq1.38335@en-nntp-02.dc1.easynews.com>, "Syltrem"
> <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> writes:
>>
>> I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA
>> devices
>> instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device MKA700)
>> but
>> no more DK's.
>>
>> So in a way the VAX sees the devices but does not correctly identify what
>> type they are.
>>

>   What are the names of the MKA devices?

Se my other reply

Some tape drive SCSI
>   controllers appear to have multiple units when you look at them like
>   this, but only unit 0 works.  If this is the case, you're not seeing
>   the disk drives.

I don;t think it's the case. It sees all the connected devices.

>   What model disk drives and cabinet?

I don;t know and I can't look at the back right now.

>   What types of cable connectors, and what length cables?  BA style
>   cabinets have backplanes that count against the cable length, and if
>   you exceed the maximum SCSI cable length you will have problems.

There is a backplane, and I connected 3 or 4 feet cables. One from VAX to
tape drive, one from tape drive to disk cabinets.

The real issue is that the VAX now thinks all these devices are tape drives
(MKAxx)

Syltrem

0
Syltrem
3/17/2010 6:10:06 PM
SCSI devices on parallel SCSI busses get the unit number (SCSI ID number) set
from 0 to 7 based usually on jumpers.

Note: ONE of the IDs in this range, usually 6 or 7, is the SCSI controller and
is NOT available for a device.

First thing to do is make sure your tape or other devices are not using the same
ID as the controller. Doing so will wreak all manner of harm on the logic that
tries to scan the bus for devices. (This was already replied but the sender did
not seem to understand.)

You can only hang 7, not 8, devices on the bus because one of the devices on the bus
needs to be the controller that links bus to processor.

If this is not the problem you might try turning autoconfigure off for the device
(for VMS anyway; the >>> display will do its thing regardless) and manually configure
the devices. If you have not misconfigured the SCSI bus somehow, the code is
designed to get the tape/disk stuff right and in my experience does so reliably.

However you must make sure the SCSI bus is not misconfigured. Wrong ID assignments
as mentioned are one way to foul it up. Another is not to have the bus terminated
properly.

There was an old remark that went something like:

The SCSI bus behaves predictably and has no magic about it. There are SOUND TECHNICAL
REASONS why you must every so often sacrifice a small goat to your SCSI bus...

Glenn Everhart

On Mar 17, 12:10=A0pm, "Syltrem" <syltremz...@videotron.ca> wrote:
> "Bob Koehler" <koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org> wrote in message

> > In article <Np7on.68685$rq1.38...@en-nntp-02.dc1.easynews.com>, "Syltre=
m"
> > <syltremz...@videotron.ca> writes:
>
> >> I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA
> >> devices
> >> instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device MKA700=
)
> >> but
> >> no more DK's.
>
> >> So in a way the VAX sees the devices but does not correctly identify w=
hat
> >> type they are.
>
> > =A0 What are the names of the MKA devices?
>
> Se my other reply
>
> Some tape drive SCSI
>
> > =A0 controllers appear to have multiple units when you look at them lik=
> > =A0 this, but only unit 0 works. =A0If this is the case, you're not see=
ing
> > =A0 the disk drives.
>
> I don;t think it's the case. It sees all the connected devices.
>

> > =A0 What model disk drives and cabinet?
>
> I don;t know and I can't look at the back right now.
>

> > =A0 What types of cable connectors, and what length cables? =A0BA style
> > =A0 cabinets have backplanes that count against the cable length, and i=
> > =A0 you exceed the maximum SCSI cable length you will have problems.
>
> There is a backplane, and I connected 3 or 4 feet cables. One from VAX to
> tape drive, one from tape drive to disk cabinets.
>
> The real issue is that the VAX now thinks all these devices are tape driv=
es
> (MKAxx)
>
> Syltrem

hello
like one poster said you have a scsi device set to the scsi controller
id. Remember the controller has a id usually
6 or 7. If you do a show device you will see a ..
VMS/VMS            ADDR        DEVTYPE
ESA0                  ethernet address
dka0                   a/0/0            disk          etc
dka100                a/1/0            disk
and so on
...HOSTID..           A/6             INITR      This is  your scsi
controller. Any device set to the same id as the scsi
controller and you will get the results you have. Hope this helps
0
starchild
3/17/2010 7:15:39 PM
In article <Np7on.68685$rq1.38335@en-nntp-02.dc1.easynews.com>, "Syltrem" <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> writes:

> I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA devices
> instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device MKA700) but
> no more DK's.
>
> So in a way the VAX sees the devices but does not correctly identify what
> type they are.

   What are the names of the MKA devices?  Some tape drive SCSI
   controllers appear to have multiple units when you look at them like
   this, but only unit 0 works.  If this is the case, you're not seeing
   the disk drives.

   What model disk drives and cabinet?

   What types of cable connectors, and what length cables?  BA style
   cabinets have backplanes that count against the cable length, and if
   you exceed the maximum SCSI cable length you will have problems.

0
koehler
3/17/2010 7:16:37 PM
On 2010-03-17, Syltrem <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote:
> Not sure what you mean but I had

What he means is that the computer is probably set for unit 7. That
means that whenever the computer tries to talk to something, the tape
drive answers.

When a SCSI device is selected, two IDs are present on the bus: the ID
of the host and the ID of the target (this is so the target can
disconnect and reconnect to the host). Since both the tape and host are
set to ID 7, the tape drive thinks it is being selected whenever the
host tries to talk to something else.
--
roger ivie
rivie@ridgenet.net
"Roger Ivie" <rivie@ridgenet.net> wrote in message
> On 2010-03-17, Syltrem <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote:
>> Not sure what you mean but I had
>
> What he means is that the computer is probably set for unit 7. That
> means that whenever the computer tries to talk to something, the tape
> drive answers.
>
> When a SCSI device is selected, two IDs are present on the bus: the ID
> of the host and the ID of the target (this is so the target can
> disconnect and reconnect to the host). Since both the tape and host are
> set to ID 7, the tape drive thinks it is being selected whenever the
> host tries to talk to something else.
> --
> roger ivie
> rivie@ridgenet.net

OK I think I'm starting to get it now !
I selected 6 on the back of the tape drive, as I already had disks from 0 to
5.
It's possible the controller is on 6 (apparently it is) so I should try 7
for the tape instead.

I'll come back here after I do that.

Syltrem

0
Syltrem
3/17/2010 7:35:34 PM
Syltrem wrote:

> On the other hand, I do have a SCSI cable that can connect to the tape drive
> directly from the VAX. As the tape drive has another connector, I figured I
> could then go from there to the disk tower.

Based on your ebay link, it looks to me like the tape drive is SCSI-1.
Not sure if there were ever SCSI-2 with the centronics plug.

If one has a SCSI-1 and SCSI-2 devices on a single bus, would the VAX
SCSI controller speak tro all devices with SCSI-1 or would it be know it
can talk to the disk with SCSI-2 and to the tape with SCSI-1 ?

Normally, these centronics plug arrangements you see in the back of your
tape are hardwired together with a ribbon cable behind. So it should be
electrically neutral in terms of signals.

Perhaps the centronics cable/plugs only support SCSI-1 so it forces
SCSI-1 talk to all your devices ?

On a VAXstation 3100, a SCSI-1 disk will cause the systen to hang very
early during the boot sequence because the machine sends a SCSI-2
command to the disk and the disk never responds. Physically
disconnecting the drive and reconnecting it results in VMS continuing
the boot seequence and things worked fine afterwards.

Have you tried booting ? Is VMS able to talk to the disk drives and does
it trhen see they device types ?
0
JF
3/17/2010 8:00:33 PM
On Mar 17, 5:27=A0pm, "Syltrem" <syltremz...@videotron.ca> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a VAX 4100 to which is connected a disk tower (SCSI) from the port=
 on
> the back of the VAX.
>
> I think I can connect a tape drive to the inside of the disk tower, as I =
see
> another port in there. But I don't have a cable that fits.
>
> On the other hand, I do have a SCSI cable that can connect to the tape dr=
ive
> directly from the VAX. As the tape drive has another connector, I figured=
> could then go from there to the disk tower.
>
> I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA device=
> instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device MKA700) b=
ut
> no more DK's.
>
> So in a way the VAX sees the devices but does not correctly identify what
> type they are.
>
> The tape drive is like this one, at the bottom of the page you can see th=
> SCSI ports.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seagate-STD62400N-Ext--DAT-24-12%2F24Gb-DDS3-Ta...
>
> Is there any way to serialize the connection of disk drives and a tape li=
ke
> I tried to do ?
>
> I can buy a cable to connect the tape to the disk tower, but I'm not evge=
> sure this will work.
>
> If someone can advise...
>
> Thanks !
> Syltrem

DEC reserved SCSI id 7 for the controllers, so putting 7 on the
diskdrive very likely confused the SCSI controller mightily.
You can put SCSI devices in serial provided:
- you don't add more than 7 devices
- give each device a unique id
- don't exceed the maximum length of cable specified for that bus
(which is IIRC 10 feet but I have many grey hairs, beware :)
The tapedrive comes in a neat box which probably has two scsi
connectors. Put the tape before the diskcabinet.
Hans
Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88@comcast.net> wrote:
(snip)

> Do you have EXACTLY one terminator at each end of the bus?
> Sometimes the terminators are external "dongles".  At other times the
> terminator is just a "resistor pack" installed in the last device on the
> bus and another on the controller.

> The sum of the terminators shall be two.  No other number will do!
> Thou shalt not have but one!  Neither shalt thou have three.  Fill in
> appropriate Python type rant!

With the VMS Sun systems, I remember it working fine with three.
There is a cable to connect additional devices on, but the terminator
on it was so far in that I couldn't get it off.  I left it there,
and extended the cable outside the box to an external drive
(or two or three).

But SCSI was slower in those days, and drivers were stronger.

As I understand it, some Apple systems don't put buffers between
the SCSI chip and the bus such that excess termination can overstress
the pin drivers.  There really should be strong drivers!

-- glen
0
glen
3/17/2010 11:49:47 PM
"starchild" <totheedgeoftime@msn.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
39b32c76-e7f9-40b8-a06b-506d5a4c3e95@o30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...
On Mar 17, 12:10 pm, "Syltrem" <syltremz...@videotron.ca> wrote:
> "Bob Koehler" <koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org> wrote in message

> > In article <Np7on.68685$rq1.38...@en-nntp-02.dc1.easynews.com>,
> > "Syltrem"
> > <syltremz...@videotron.ca> writes:
>
> >> I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA
> >> devices
> >> instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device MKA700)
> >> but
> >> no more DK's.
>
> >> So in a way the VAX sees the devices but does not correctly identify
> >> what
> >> type they are.
>
> > What are the names of the MKA devices?
>
> Se my other reply
>
> Some tape drive SCSI
>
> > controllers appear to have multiple units when you look at them like
> > this, but only unit 0 works. If this is the case, you're not seeing
> > the disk drives.
>
> I don;t think it's the case. It sees all the connected devices.
>

> > What model disk drives and cabinet?
>
> I don;t know and I can't look at the back right now.
>

> > What types of cable connectors, and what length cables? BA style
> > cabinets have backplanes that count against the cable length, and if
> > you exceed the maximum SCSI cable length you will have problems.
>
> There is a backplane, and I connected 3 or 4 feet cables. One from VAX to
> tape drive, one from tape drive to disk cabinets.
>
> The real issue is that the VAX now thinks all these devices are tape
> drives
> (MKAxx)
>
> Syltrem
>
> hello
> like one poster said you have a scsi device set to the scsi controller
> id. Remember the controller has a id usually
> 6 or 7. If you do a show device you will see a ..
> VMS/VMS            ADDR        DEVTYPE
>  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ESA0                  ethernet address
> dka0                   a/0/0            disk          etc
> dka100                a/1/0            disk
> and so on
> ..HOSTID..           A/6             INITR      This is  your scsi
> controller. Any device set to the same id as the scsi
> controller and you will get the results you have. Hope this helps

That was it !
I didn't know I had to take the controller into account (it uses one SCSI
id)

Indeed there was a conflict, the controller uses id 6.
After setting the drive to 7, all is ok. Unfortunately this device does not
seem to work ok with VMS 7.3 VAX
ARCHIVE Python 04106-XXX (Seagate STD224000N)
I get "fatal drive error" when I try to initialize it. VMS does see it fine
though in SHOW DEV/FULL

I can't remember if this drive was used on VMS before, although I don't see
where else it could have. It's so old we probably didn't have anything but
VMS when we were actively using it. I doubt we ever did Windows backups with
that drive.
In any case I ordered a cable to try another one out - one that I used on
VMS before.

Thanks for the help
Syltrem

0
Syltrem
3/18/2010 12:07:17 AM
Syltrem wrote:

> After setting the drive to 7, all is ok. Unfortunately this device does not
> seem to work ok with VMS 7.3 VAX
> ARCHIVE Python 04106-XXX (Seagate STD224000N)
> I get "fatal drive error" when I try to initialize it. VMS does see it fine
> though in SHOW DEV/FULL

This could very well be the head and/or tape which is deffective. I get
that on a DSSI DLT drive a good friend (whose name is suspiciuously
similar to yours)  had given me a couple years ago.

0
JF
3/18/2010 3:11:08 AM
Syltrem wrote:

> After setting the drive to 7, all is ok. Unfortunately this device does not
> seem to work ok with VMS 7.3 VAX
> ARCHIVE Python 04106-XXX (Seagate STD224000N)
> I get "fatal drive error" when I try to initialize it. VMS does see it fine
> though in SHOW DEV/FULL

   There is a huge number of tape drives which are not
supported (or tolerated) by VMS, especially on VAX.  This may
be one of them.  If the disks are all still working with the
tape drive in the chain, then I'd suspect that the drive is
incompatible, rather than that there's a cable problem.  Could
be a bad tape, too.

   Do you see this tape drive on the list of supported devices
for your version of VMS?

> I can't remember if this drive was used on VMS before, although I don't see
> where else it could have. It's so old we probably didn't have anything but
> VMS when we were actively using it. I doubt we ever did Windows backups with
> that drive.
> In any case I ordered a cable to try another one out - one that I used on
> VMS before.

   One _what_ "that I used on VMS before"?  Cable? Tape drive?
0
Steven
3/18/2010 4:35:25 AM
Syltrem wrote:
> "Bob Koehler" <koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org> wrote in message
>> In article <Np7on.68685$rq1.38335@en-nntp-02.dc1.easynews.com>, "Syltrem"
>> <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> writes:
>>> I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA
>>> devices
>>> instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device MKA700)
>>> but
>>> no more DK's.
>>>
>>> So in a way the VAX sees the devices but does not correctly identify what
>>> type they are.
>>>
>>   What are the names of the MKA devices?
>
> Se my other reply
>
> Some tape drive SCSI
>>   controllers appear to have multiple units when you look at them like
>>   this, but only unit 0 works.  If this is the case, you're not seeing
>>   the disk drives.
>
> I don;t think it's the case. It sees all the connected devices.
>

>>   What model disk drives and cabinet?
>
> I don;t know and I can't look at the back right now.
>
>>   What types of cable connectors, and what length cables?  BA style
>>   cabinets have backplanes that count against the cable length, and if
>>   you exceed the maximum SCSI cable length you will have problems.
>>

> There is a backplane, and I connected 3 or 4 feet cables. One from VAX to
> tape drive, one from tape drive to disk cabinets.
>
> The real issue is that the VAX now thinks all these devices are tape drives
> (MKAxx)
>
> Syltrem

Do you have EXACTLY one terminator at each end of the bus?
Sometimes the terminators are external "dongles".  At other times the
terminator is just a "resistor pack" installed in the last device on the
bus and another on the controller.

The sum of the terminators shall be two.  No other number will do!
Thou shalt not have but one!  Neither shalt thou have three.  Fill in
appropriate Python type rant!
0
Richard
3/18/2010 5:24:01 AM
Syltrem wrote:
> "Richard Brodie" <R.Brodie@rl.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> "Syltrem" <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>> I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA
>>> devices instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device
>>> MKA700) but no more DK's.
>> Seeing a SCSI device on all multiple unit numbers probably means you have
>> resued
>> the host ID. They are usually set to 6 or 7.
>>

> Not sure what you mean but I had
> MKA0
> MKA100
> MKA200
> MKA300
> MKA400
> MKA500
> MKA700
>
> MKA700 is the tape drive, and the others are the disks. They just don't show
> up as disks.
>
> Syltrem

Something is VERY wrong there.  Please describe your hardware
configuration (disk/tape) in detail!  Are you using a StorageWorks shelf
or something else?  Are your device addresses configured by jumpers on
the device itself or by what slot they occupy in a StorageWorks shelf?

SCSI address 7 is reserved, by convention, for the SCSI host bus adapter.

0
Richard
3/18/2010 5:24:02 AM
Steven Schweda wrote:

>> I get "fatal drive error" when I try to initialize it. VMS does see it fine
>> though in SHOW DEV/FULL

> tape drive in the chain, then I'd suspect that the drive is
> incompatible, rather than that there's a cable problem.  Could
> be a bad tape, too.

When you do the INIT command, does the tape  spin, rewind, huff and puff
for a while before the error message ? Or is the message issued right away ?

If the tape does huff and puff for a while, it means that it has
received the commands and is processing them, but there is then the
report of a read/write error sent back to VMS.

Wouldn't an incompatible drive result in "device is offline" messages ?

I would suspect a little hygiene on the drive's head maybe necessary if
the drive was in storage for a long time.

0
JF
3/18/2010 6:28:34 AM
A fatal drive error can be anything ranging from an incompatible drive to=

a bad drive. The errorlog is the place where you should look for a clue
(try analyze/error for a start).

And please mention the VMS version you use.

Jur.

On 18-3-2010 1:07, Syltrem wrote:
> [...]

> id)
>
> Indeed there was a conflict, the controller uses id 6.
> After setting the drive to 7, all is ok. Unfortunately this device does=
 not
> seem to work ok with VMS 7.3 VAX
> ARCHIVE Python 04106-XXX (Seagate STD224000N)
> I get "fatal drive error" when I try to initialize it. VMS does see it =
fine
> though in SHOW DEV/FULL
>
> I can't remember if this drive was used on VMS before, although I don't=
 see
> where else it could have. It's so old we probably didn't have anything =
but
> VMS when we were actively using it. I doubt we ever did Windows backups=
 with
> that drive.
> In any case I ordered a cable to try another one out - one that I used =

0
Jur
3/18/2010 7:26:59 AM
> Indeed there was a conflict, the controller uses id 6.
> After setting the drive to 7, all is ok. Unfortunately this device
> does not seem to work ok with VMS 7.3 VAX
> ARCHIVE Python 04106-XXX (Seagate STD224000N)
> I get "fatal drive error" when I try to initialize it. VMS does see
> it fine though in SHOW DEV/FULL
>=20
> I can't remember if this drive was used on VMS before, although I
> don't see where else it could have. It's so old we probably didn't
> have anything but VMS when we were actively using it. I doubt we ever
> did Windows backups with that drive.
> In any case I ordered a cable to try another one out - one that I
> used on VMS before.
>=20
> Thanks for the help
> Syltrem

Some drives are incompatible with VMS,=20
because they cannot erase a datablock without damaging other data blocks =
in front of this data block.
(The old 8 mm tape EXABYTE tape drives are an example.)
(VMS needs this property to write the first file to a freshly =
initialized tape.)
Such drives will fail when tried to use with the INITITIALIZE, MOUNT =
(not foreign) and other files manipulations command like COPY
In some cases these drives can still be initialized and written with the =
BACKUP command.
0
Fred
3/18/2010 8:45:28 AM
"Steven Schweda" <sms.antinode@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
2f450e90-ac44-4a5e-a4b5-26ae3e2488ad@z4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
> Syltrem wrote:
>
>> After setting the drive to 7, all is ok. Unfortunately this device does
>> not
>> seem to work ok with VMS 7.3 VAX
>> ARCHIVE Python 04106-XXX (Seagate STD224000N)
>> I get "fatal drive error" when I try to initialize it. VMS does see it
>> fine
>> though in SHOW DEV/FULL
>
>   There is a huge number of tape drives which are not
> supported (or tolerated) by VMS, especially on VAX.  This may
> be one of them.  If the disks are all still working with the
> tape drive in the chain, then I'd suspect that the drive is
> incompatible, rather than that there's a cable problem.  Could
> be a bad tape, too.
>
>   Do you see this tape drive on the list of supported devices
> for your version of VMS?

I'd like to know where such a list exists
I was searching for that

>> I can't remember if this drive was used on VMS before, although I don't
>> see
>> where else it could have. It's so old we probably didn't have anything
>> but
>> VMS when we were actively using it. I doubt we ever did Windows backups
>> with
>> that drive.
>> In any case I ordered a cable to try another one out - one that I used on
>> VMS before.
>
>   One _what_ "that I used on VMS before"?  Cable? Tape drive?

Another tape drive.

This is for VAX 7.3

Thanks
Syltrem

0
Syltrem
3/18/2010 10:32:23 AM
"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> a �crit dans le message de news:
4ba1c815$0$1487$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
> Steven Schweda wrote:
>
>>> I get "fatal drive error" when I try to initialize it. VMS does see it
>>> fine
>>> though in SHOW DEV/FULL
>
>> tape drive in the chain, then I'd suspect that the drive is
>> incompatible, rather than that there's a cable problem.  Could
>> be a bad tape, too.
>
> When you do the INIT command, does the tape  spin, rewind, huff and puff
> for a while before the error message ? Or is the message issued right away
> ?

I get the error right away. That's why I suspect the drive.

> If the tape does huff and puff for a while, it means that it has
> received the commands and is processing them, but there is then the
> report of a read/write error sent back to VMS.
>
> Wouldn't an incompatible drive result in "device is offline" messages ?
>
> I would suspect a little hygiene on the drive's head maybe necessary if
> the drive was in storage for a long time.

0
Syltrem
3/18/2010 10:34:57 AM
"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> a �crit dans le message de news:
4ba199cd$0$9286$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
> Syltrem wrote:
>
>> After setting the drive to 7, all is ok. Unfortunately this device does
>> not
>> seem to work ok with VMS 7.3 VAX
>> ARCHIVE Python 04106-XXX (Seagate STD224000N)
>> I get "fatal drive error" when I try to initialize it. VMS does see it
>> fine
>> though in SHOW DEV/FULL
>
> This could very well be the head and/or tape which is deffective. I get
> that on a DSSI DLT drive a good friend (whose name is suspiciuously
> similar to yours)  had given me a couple years ago.

I'm very sorry to hear that !
You shouldn't hang on with such people.

But I also heard that you play the plastic surgeon on your equipment. This
voids the guarantee.

Syltrem :-)

0
Syltrem
3/18/2010 10:38:11 AM
In article <hnsp79$hbe$1@news.albasani.net>, "Fred Zwarts" <F.Zwarts@KVI.nl> writes:

> Some drives are incompatible with VMS,
> because they cannot erase a datablock without damaging other data blocks
> in front of this data block.
> (The old 8 mm tape EXABYTE tape drives are an example.)
> (VMS needs this property to write the first file to a freshly
> initialized tape.)
> Such drives will fail when tried to use with the INITITIALIZE, MOUNT
> (not foreign) and other files manipulations command like COPY
> In some cases these drives can still be initialized and written with the
> BACKUP command.

   A prime example is Exebyte 8mm tape drives.  VMS supports them for
   BACKUP only because RMS requires this operation and BACKUP doesn't.

   You can do some RMS operations, but when you run into that operation
   your stuff fails.  I've done a lot of I/O to such tape drives via
   the C RTL, which of course sits on top of RMS, but I knew if it failed
   it was my problem.  If I had to be sure the I/O worked, I'd have done
   it at the $QIO level so I knew that operation wasn't requested.

0
koehler
3/18/2010 2:00:45 PM
In article <6jnon.49928$Bs1.19020@en-nntp-01.dc1.easynews.com>, "Syltrem" <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> writes:

> I'd like to know where such a list exists
> I was searching for that

   See the FAQ for a pointer to the SPD?

   OK, the last pointer I have is

      http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/spd/

   but it's been quite a while since I looked.

0
koehler
3/18/2010 2:00:45 PM
In article <hnrpqr$eum$1@naig.caltech.edu>, glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:

> With the VMS Sun systems

   EH?

0
koehler
3/18/2010 2:00:46 PM
In article <3W8on.426886$FK3.318175@en-nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com>, "Syltrem" <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> writes:

> I don;t think it's the case. It sees all the connected devices.

   Based on my past experience, I think the system is seeing the
   tape drive multiple times (been there, seen that), and therefor
   cannot see the disk drives because of SCSI controller number conflicts.

   I've also seen this come and go based on dip switch settings inside
   the tape drive, with vendor documentation giving us no clue that that
   could happen.

0
koehler
3/18/2010 2:00:46 PM
Bob Koehler wrote:
> In article <hnsp79$hbe$1@news.albasani.net>, "Fred Zwarts" <F.Zwarts@KVI.nl> writes:
>> Some drives are incompatible with VMS,
>> because they cannot erase a datablock without damaging other data blocks
>> in front of this data block.
>> (The old 8 mm tape EXABYTE tape drives are an example.)
>> (VMS needs this property to write the first file to a freshly
>> initialized tape.)
>> Such drives will fail when tried to use with the INITITIALIZE, MOUNT
>> (not foreign) and other files manipulations command like COPY
>> In some cases these drives can still be initialized and written with the
>> BACKUP command.
>
>    A prime example is Exebyte 8mm tape drives.  VMS supports them for
>    BACKUP only because RMS requires this operation and BACKUP doesn't.
>
>    You can do some RMS operations, but when you run into that operation
>    your stuff fails.  I've done a lot of I/O to such tape drives via
>    the C RTL, which of course sits on top of RMS, but I knew if it failed
>    it was my problem.  If I had to be sure the I/O worked, I'd have done
>    it at the $QIO level so I knew that operation wasn't requested.

8mm may have improved since I last had to use it but I would never use
8mm for anything if there was any other choice!

0
Richard
3/18/2010 2:17:41 PM
> In article <6jnon.49928$Bs1.19020@en-nntp-01.dc1.easynews.com>, "Syltrem"
> <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> writes:
>>
>> I'd like to know where such a list exists
>> I was searching for that
>
>   See the FAQ for a pointer to the SPD?
>
>   OK, the last pointer I have is
>
>      http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/spd/
>
>   but it's been quite a while since I looked.

When returning to the office today I checked the tape drive. I could not
eject the tape from it.
I turned it off, then back on.

Now it works ok with VMS. I was able to create a stabackit on the tape.

There must have been something (not) funny that happened with the drive.

I will do more testing on it.

Thanks for all who responded.
Syltrem

0
Syltrem
3/18/2010 3:37:45 PM
Bob Koehler <koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org> wrote:
> In article <hnrpqr$eum$1@naig.caltech.edu>, glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:

>> With the VMS Sun systems

Off by one letter, that is VME.

The VME backplane has three connectors for each slot, but the
center one is mostly unused.  The SCSI board goes in, I believe,
slot 7, and connects through 50 pins on the middle connector.

Then the SCSI cable comes off a connector that plugs onto the
pins coming through the backplane from that connector.

-- glen

-- glen
0
glen
3/18/2010 4:44:01 PM
Syltrem wrote:

> I get the error right away. That's why I suspect the drive.

Yeah, that would point to that direction.

Have you tried other operations such as mount/foreign, or backup/init to
it ?

QUESTION: Considering this unit has 1980s Centronics style connectors
(like the RD42), could it still be SCSI-2 device ?

It is possible that VAX VMS 7.3's SCSI drivers require SCSI-2 support on
devices ?

0
JF
3/18/2010 7:01:09 PM
"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote in message
> Syltrem wrote:
>
>> I get the error right away. That's why I suspect the drive.
>
> Yeah, that would point to that direction.
>
> Have you tried other operations such as mount/foreign, or backup/init to
> it ?
>

> QUESTION: Considering this unit has 1980s Centronics style connectors
> (like the RD42), could it still be SCSI-2 device ?
>
> It is possible that VAX VMS 7.3's SCSI drivers require SCSI-2 support on
> devices ?

Mmmmh...
You didn't read my update from earlier today.

I had to reset the drive (turn off and on) and now it works.
I don't know what happened to it, but it's alive and happy now. And me, too
!

Syltrem

0
Syltrem
3/18/2010 8:18:29 PM
On Mar 18, 1:07=A0am, "Syltrem" <syltremz...@videotron.ca> wrote:
> [...]
> id)
>
> Indeed there was a conflict, the controller uses id 6.
> After setting the drive to 7, all is ok. Unfortunately this device does n=
ot
> seem to work ok with VMS 7.3 VAX
> ARCHIVE Python 04106-XXX (Seagate STD224000N)
> I get "fatal drive error" when I try to initialize it. VMS does see it fi=
ne
> though in SHOW DEV/FULL
>
> I can't remember if this drive was used on VMS before, although I don't s=
ee
> where else it could have. It's so old we probably didn't have anything bu=
> VMS when we were actively using it. I doubt we ever did Windows backups w=
ith
> that drive.
> In any case I ordered a cable to try another one out - one that I used on

Is it really a Seagate drive or an HP oem product?
HP drives have a dipswitch bank on the bottom. One dipswitch is
dedicated to DEC operating systems.

tape drive question
Using 4.10-RELEASE FreeBSD, GENERIC From dmesg: sa0 at ahc1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0 sa0: <SONY SDX-400V 0101> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device sa0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit) Comands such as this: tar Mcvf /dev/sa0 * Produce: tar: /dev/sa0: Cannot open: Device not configured tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now Obviously I'm not doing something right. Comments anyone? In article <DZf5d.1702$Fg2.588258@newshog.newsread.com>, FanJet27 @hotmail.com says... > Using 4.10-RELEASE FreeBSD, GENERIC > > From dmesg: > > sa0 at ahc1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0 > sa0: <SONY SDX-400V 0101> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device > sa0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit) > > Comands such as this: > > tar Mcvf /dev/sa0 * > > Produce: > > tar: /dev/sa0: Cannot open: Device not configured > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now > > Obviously I'm not doing something right. Comments anyone? Are you sure there's a tape in the drive? You get this error if there isn't.. Dan Swartzendruber wrote: > In article <DZf5d.1702$Fg2.588258@newshog.newsread.com>, FanJet27 > @hotmail.com says... > >>Using 4.10-RELEASE FreeBSD, GENERIC >> >>From dmesg: >> >>sa0 at ahc1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0 >>sa0: <SONY SDX-400V 0101> Removable Seque...

Questions about tape drives
Using fbsd 5.2.1... I have a Certance CD72LWH-S and it is listed as shown below. I plan to use it with Amanda. I have read that it is best to turn off hardware compression and just let the software do the compression. To turn off compression I used "mt comp off". 1. Will this always stay off now or will it turn back on after a reboot? 2. When I specify the "raw" tape device to Amanda which device should I use? I thought that there should be something like nrsa0 but there isn't. 3. What do the .0-.3 numbers mean? lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 4 Apr 20 05:41 /dev/esa0 -> esa0.0 crw-rw---- 1 root operator 14, 2 Apr 20 09:41 /dev/esa0.0 crw-rw---- 1 root operator 14, 6 Apr 20 09:41 /dev/esa0.1 crw-rw---- 1 root operator 14, 10 Apr 20 09:41 /dev/esa0.2 crw-rw---- 1 root operator 14, 14 Apr 20 09:41 /dev/esa0.3 lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 4 Apr 20 05:41 /dev/nsa0 -> nsa0.0 crw-rw---- 1 root operator 14, 1 Apr 21 07:57 /dev/nsa0.0 crw-rw---- 1 root operator 14, 5 Apr 21 07:31 /dev/nsa0.1 crw-rw---- 1 root operator 14, 9 Apr 20 09:41 /dev/nsa0.2 crw-rw---- 1 root operator 14, 13 Apr 20 09:41 /dev/nsa0.3 lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3 Apr 20 05:41 /dev/sa0 -> sa0.0 crw-rw---- 1 root operator 14, 0 Apr 20 09:41 /dev/sa0.0 crw-rw---- 1 root operator 14, 4 Apr 20 09:41 /dev/sa0.1 crw-rw---- 1 root operator 14, 8 Apr 20 09:41 /dev...

Sony tape drive question
Not a specifically SCSI question, although the device happens to be SCSI. I an considering the purchase of a Sony TSL-S11000 autoloader tape drive Does anyone know whether the drive automatically steps through the cartridges in sequence? IOW, when one tape ejects because it is full, does the next one get loaded automatically? The online manual refers to an "Auto Load ON/OFF" setting, but describes only that setting's effect on the *first* tape in the magazine. -=- MB ...

Prime tape drive questions
I just acquired a new tape drive, and I've been trying to get it to work with my system. It's an IDT (Innovative Data Technology) 1054 nine track drive, and it seems to have a formatted Pertec interface. It's dual density, 800/1600. This is a very nice, simple drive - manual thread, compliance arm tensioning, etc. I want to hook it up in place of a Cipher autoloader (which, most of the time, has to be manually loaded anyway). The Prime is a 2755, and it does work well with the afforementioned Cipher/Prime drive. With the Cipher connected, and a scratch tape loaded, I can is...

B132L Tape Drive Question
I have an old HP B132L with an HP 35480A SCSI 50 pin (Centronics), 4mm, DAT, DDS-1. I would like to add something like a Seagate 68000N_O SCSI 50 pin (small), 4mm, DAT, DDS-2? This would need a SCSI cable with different ends. Perhaps a different drive would be better to ensure reading with HP 10.20 Unix. I know the existing drive has the old 50 pin SCSI connector and I do understand that I would have to assign the new drive with a different SCSI (SE) address. My goal is to add a drive that can read DDS-2, 120m 4/8gb tapes. I have to recover data stored by a D330 to the tape using tar year...

OS/2 Warp Connect and Windows questions
I have OS/2 Warp Connect red installed on a PS/2 77 Bermuda (drive G:). Windows for Workgroups is installed on drive C:. First question: is there any way to switch between OS/2 and WFW without rebooting? Second question: how do I go about installing OS/2 Warp Connnect blue? Can I install blue on top of red or must I do a complete installation? Do I have to remove red? TIA, Dan Dan-the K wrote: > I have OS/2 Warp Connect red installed on a PS/2 77 Bermuda (drive G:). > Windows for Workgroups is installed on drive C:. > > First question: is there any way to...

what tapes for salvaged tape drive?
Hello all, I recently acquired a front loading tape drive from an 8 year old high end business desktop PC. I want to use it for backups, but I have never used tape storage before and don't know how to find out what kind of tapes I need. I know this is a sequential access medium, so my basic plan just involves dumping compressed disk images onto the tapes. How would I go about finding the right tape for my drive? Thank you for your time, Elijah Rutschman elijahr@gmail.com writes: > I recently acquired a front loading tape drive from an 8 year old > high end bu...

"Network tape drive" for VMS
Is there anything available that could be called a "network tape drive" that is supported with (a) OpenVMS / Alpha 7.3-2 (b) OpenVMS / I64, 8.2 or 8.3 ff. ? The reason is to have the backup tape drive separated from the server for easier access to change the backup tapes. Please don't ask, why would you want to do that. It's simply because of a user's request. And this should *not* be another VMS server (cluster node) with a tape drive ;-) Albrecht Albrecht Schlosser wrote: > Is there anything available that could be called a > "network tape drive" th...

hardware compression for VXA-2 tape drive
Does hardware compression work for anyone on the Exabyte VXA-2 tape drive ? I am using the internal VXA-2 tape drive on a Windows XP Pro PC with the Veritas Backup Exec software (version 4.5). Thanks, Lynn ...

3490 Tape Drive for Mac OS X?
I'm looking for a way to read IBM 3490 format tapes under Mac OS X. Can anyone recommend a hardware/software solution? Buying a PCI SCIS card, or using an older mac with SCSI built in is possible. In a pinch I could boot OS 9, or even run Virtual PC, but would prefer to stick with OS X if possible. Thanks! -- To send email, remove the invalid and nospams. In article <1gnctf9.1uacd73ivic8uN%md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid>, md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid (Michael Diehr) wrote: > I'm looking for a way to read IBM 3490 format tapes under Mac OS X. &g...

Connecting a 3590 /3590e tape drive to a PC
Hi All, Recently, we received a pile of 3590 tapes from one of our customers, and we have no way of reading them. After a bit of digging, I found some reasonably priced refurbs (http://www.tapedrives-3480to3590.com/), though I'm still in a bit of sticker-shock. My extremely naive question: What's involved (hardware/software) in connecting one of these suckers to a Win2000 PC? Is this fairly easy, or will I need to go back to school. Basically, I'm wondering if I'm better off sending the tapes for conversion. Thanks, zanek It's pretty easy. With th...

What to do with 130XE and tape drive? (totally noob question)
Hello, I just happened to stumble across an unused 130XE with tape drive, but no disk and no manuals. Never used any Atari 8-bits before but I do know my way around with several other 8-bit systems (which shall remain nameless lest another flame ware erupt). There were a few tapes included and I figured out how to load them with the help of the Atari 8-bit FAQ. But how do I get any more software onto it? Are there archives of tape-based Atari games? What file formats are used for tape images? All the info in the FAQ about getting software onto the Atari seems to require a modified 1050 drive and a 5.25" floppy drive on the PC, if I understood it correctly. Is there some other way, like building a cable from a PC parallel port to the SIO port or whatever? Thanks, -- Linards Ticmanis Connect your Atari to a PC (also with Vista) using SIO2PC USB version and you will be able to do *everything* with your 130XE. http://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/ Linards Ticmanis wrote: > Hello, <snip> > understood it correctly. Is there some other way, like building a cable > from a PC parallel port to the SIO port or whatever? What Philsan said but with a little more info about the lower end. Even the simple non-USB cables will provide you with all the functionality you would probably need. There's two sets of software people use, either SIO2PC for MS DOS based computers or APE for Windows. The simple SIO2PC ca...

SATA DAT tape drive / danis506 question
I'm curious. The old BA2KSV server pro product can handle, so said, both virtually any kind of SCSI DAT and IDE DAT tape drive units, per the documentation for it. I'm wondering if by change, since the very good DANIA506 device driver can handle most any of the old ATA and SATA drive requirements, might the current SATA DAT tape drives be serviced with it? Suggested to me was the Quantum DAT72 CD72H-SBU DAT tape backup drive unit. The current Seagate SATA hard drives currently provide data throughput service even faster than the Adaptec 29160 card and driver, which is a...

Two drives: OS on Drive 1, Progs on Drive 2, My Docs on which?
Hi I'm considering my partition options to give the best performance. I already have a single Western Digital Raptor WD1500 ADFD. I have my OS (XP Pro), applications and documents in separate partitions so obviously the drive head is having to spend a lot of time moving between them. I wondered what improvement might be gained if I bought a second WD1500 and changed where I store things. So would it be better to have the OS and apps in separate partitions on Drive 1 and My Docs on Drive 2? Or OS on 1, apps on 2, My Docs on which? Is there another arrangement you woul...

8535-041 Hardware hard drive question
Well, it is a PS/2, just not MCA. I'm just worried about that little 40Mb hard drive during shipping. I thought it might need to be parked, but really it is AT or ATA, so it should self park. I'm just looking for a quick answer and not flames for these things I can't seem to remember. Thanks, Bill Hi Bill, > Well, it is a PS/2, just not MCA. I'm just worried about > that little 40Mb hard drive during shipping. I thought it might > need to be parked, but really it is AT or ATA, so it should > self park. I'm just looking for a quick answer and not > flames for these things I can't seem to remember. It auto-parks (the quick answer)... David David@IBMMuseum.com Hi! > I'm just worried about that little 40Mb hard drive during shipping. > I thought it might need to be parked, but really it is AT or ATA, > so it should self park. Your thought is correct, the drive should self park when you turn it off. Some PS/2s had a "Move The Computer" option on the reference disk menu. If the 35/40SX reference diskette has this option, you could always use that as well. > I'm just looking for a quick answer and not flames for these > things I can't seem to remember. Flames? Here? William ...

Backup OS-9 hard drives on PC hardware.
When I was trying to back up my SyQuest EZ135 SCSI hard drive on a PC, I ran in to an interesting problem. I had the PC (parallel) version of the EZ135, and a SCSI version (hooked to my OS-9 machine). When I inserted a non-DOS formatted platter, the PC would not recognize it. The BIOS (or something) wanted the first sector to be PC-ish. So, my solution was to write a quick program in C to back up the first 512 bytes (sector) of the OS-9 disk, and copy the 512-byte sector from a PC disk to the OS-9 disk. This created an OS-9 disk (unusuable) that would be recognized by the PC. From...

apple 40sc tape drive question on repair/durability...
back in the day i have backed up 40-50 or so apple 40sc tape backups of the former www.lost-gonzo.com bbs ..the fv/metal and applenet subsystems...in anticipation of some day having to get data off these dc2000 40meg tapes....i have a mint never used apple 40sc tape external unit...i also have a clone unit ..more or less mint...(looks like wear on wheel etc for driving tape inside is close to or mint) as well as 2 more used..but worked in the past apple 40sc tape units external units that made these backups...and worked when i retired them in the 90's ok...so i decided to get around to ma...

RE: LTO-2 Ultrium tape drive and VMS
> -----Original Message----- > From: Patrick Young [mailto:P.Young@unsw.EDU.AU] > Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 7:53 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: LTO-2 Ultrium tape drive and VMS > > > Dan Allen wrote: > > > > First I've heard that. Previous posts here have identified odd byte > > transfers as the problem - supposedly supported by LTO-2. I have an > > LTO-2 library on a Dell Windows server here and using Veritas it's PDF > > (about 70MB/sec without any tuning). > > > > Dan > > I'm pu...

apple iie with question about the duo disk drive and connecting it
Hi I have and Apple IIe computer and I also have a duo twin disk drive, but with no original cable for it, Their is no power cable attachment so I can only quess that the power comes via the connection cable to the apple. On my apple iie I have a disk drive port but the socket is smaller than the one on the duo. I have found a couple of ribbon cables which connect to the duo but the other end is smaller on the apple pc - I know this is a drive port as I have another single disk drive and it works on this port. Is the duo drive a serial drive and requires a serial card? and not the drive car...

disable hardware compression on VXA-2 tape drive
Has anyone managed to disable the hardware compression on the Exabyte VXA-2 tape drive ? I just maxed out the tape at 116 GB. I suspect that I might get better compression from my Backup Exec software. Thanks, Lynn McGuire "Lynn McGuire" <NOSPAM.winsim@NOSPAM.winsim.com> wrote in message news:4027b1d7$0$134$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com... > Has anyone managed to disable the hardware compression > on the Exabyte VXA-2 tape drive ? I just maxed out the > tape at 116 GB. I suspect that I might get better compression > from my Backup Exec software. > > Thanks, > Lynn McGuire You can with vxaTool, available from www.exabyte.com. You do need to execute it each time the machine starts up as the drive defaults to compression enabled. Rob > You can with vxaTool, available from www.exabyte.com. You do need to execute > it each time the machine starts up as the drive defaults to compression > enabled. I did try that. Apparently it either does not work or Backup Exec does not respect it. It would be nice if it was a permanent change to the tape drive. Thanks, Lynn "Lynn McGuire" <NOSPAM.winsim@NOSPAM.winsim.com> wrote in message news:4028fe5b$0$124$811e409b@news.mylinuxisp.com... > > You can with vxaTool, available from www.exabyte.com. You do need to execute > > it each time the machine starts up as the drive defaults to compression > > enabled. ...

Re: Classic MPE Hardware to PC Hard Drive Question
remember a hpib small drive was just a regular drive sometimes with a hpib interface board hooked to it... was so with workstations and I assume the small 3000 drives same? My 3000 drive times were with the washing machine sized oldies (7925 etc. Thanks, Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC Web Site at _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org/) We are always looking for items to add to the museum's display and ref. library - please advise if you have anything we can use. Coury House / SMECC 5802 W. Palmaire Ave. Phone 623-435-1522 Glendale Az 85301...

Anyone got an Exabyte Mammoth 2 tape drive on VMS?
Customer has an ES40 (VMS 7.2-1, but due to be upgraded soon.) They will soon have a need to exchange tapes with an IBM p630 system whose only tape drive is an IBM 7208 Model 345. From the IBM web site, this appears to be a modified Exabyte Mammoth 2 (EXB-8900?) drive. It says it will read 20GB tapes and Read/Write 60GB tapes. The 20GB tapes appear to be the original Mammoth 1 tapes. From=20various Ask-the-Wizard postings and Google searches, it appears that people have used the original 20GB Mammoth drives on VMS, but from a page on the HP site, I found that VMS V7.2-1 needed a patched ...

Newbie question
A newcomer's question that I'm sure is answered elsewhere but.. I need to buy an external hard drive (approx 160Gb or more) and to me there seem to be three primary methods of connecting the thing up - USB 2.0, Firewire or network (via Ethernet card). Are there any strong opinions on which is the best (primarily in terms of speed and value for money) ? Of course if a drive can be accessed by multiple methods that's great, but I don't want to pay extra for something unnecessary. Also, any specific recommendations for particular manufacturers would be be very useful.. ...

IBM Exabyte HH CTS differential 8mm tape drive question
I have not found online documentation regarding configuration or operation of the Exabyte HH CTS 8mm tape drive made for IBM; I am not even sure it it crosses to an Exabyte EXB-8205 or EXB-8505. Here are the label descriptions: CEI: 870113-263 MFG DATE: 96.07.09 FECODE: 88C-07Y0 32534-000 EECODE: 88E-0361 314297-000 PN: 87G4775 EC D46784 SUA: 784100-D12 SLDD: 784700-D06 DECK: 728070-A16 I have not found an authoritative online source that confirms which Exabyte commercial model this may be (if any) - 'Google' hits only produce suspect online retailer descriptions which for the most...

Web resources about - Hardware question (connecting a tape drive) - comp.os.vms

List of Nebraska Connecting Link, Spur, and Recreation Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nebraska Connecting Link , Nebraska Spur , and Nebraska Recreation Road highways are a secondary part of the Nebraska highway system . They connect ...

Open Compute Project Focusing On Connecting Networking Hardware
The Open Compute Project , a Facebook-started consortium aimed at making data storage more efficient, announced Wednesday that it is now working ...

Connecting 100 Million People in Africa
„Facebook for Business“ liefert dir aktuelle Nachrichten, Tipps und Best Practices für den Einsatz von Facebook zur Erreichung deiner Unternehmensziele: ...

What stops users from connecting with an app through Facebook?
... This equals 850 million users who connect with apps using Facebook at a 59 percent conversion rate. About 590 million users back out of connecting ...

Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting the community, my Twitter strategy, and American Airlines at DFW - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
I thought, to commemorate this entry on connecting people, that I'd include a photo of an airplane from one of the busiest airports in the world ...

DLD15 - Connecting the Dots on IoT: Intelligence of Things (Michael Mendenhall, David Kirkpatrick) ...
In this fireside chat, we’ll be discussing how putting a new kind of intuition into the things we interact with isn’t just about making the devices ...