HP printer compatibility question

HP printer division strikes again.  I'm asking here in case anyone happens =
to have one of these two printers:

1.     HP LaserJet Pro 300 Color MFP M375nw.
2.    HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color MFP M475dn.

A customer needs to replace an existing LaserJet; all printing is PCL5 usin=
g a fair number of the fonts available on the older printers, and also doin=
g soft font downloads for logos and special fonts.

HP has FOR YEARS now stopped provinding detailed font information, even on =
mid level and higher printers.  These printers list both PCL5 and PCL6 comp=
atibility.  We've been burned before where the very generic 'tech' docs don=
't tell you that those 43 fonts are PCL6 only and in PCL5 you only have a v=
ery small subset available.  Not the user guide, not the 180+ page software=
 rreference guide... but if I had a printer I could just print a PCL font l=
ist (and then a PCL6 font list for comparison).

The HP support site wants an SAID that covers the printer (and a serial num=
ber) to talk to me, and what passes for pre-sales support is a black hole t=
hat no information can apparently escape from.

If not these, does anyone know with certainty that any specific current pro=
duction HP Laser printers can properly and completely emulate an HP5si/HP80=
00 series printer WRT PCL5 and downloadable fonts?
0
Rich
12/4/2013 5:23:06 PM
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Rich Jordan wrote:
> HP printer division strikes again.  I'm asking here in case anyone happens to have one of these two printers:
>
> 1.     HP LaserJet Pro 300 Color MFP M375nw.
> 2.    HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color MFP M475dn.
>
> A customer needs to replace an existing LaserJet; all printing is PCL5 using a fair number of the fonts available on the older printers, and also doing soft font downloads for logos and special fonts.
>
> HP has FOR YEARS now stopped provinding detailed font information, even on mid level and higher printers.  These printers list both PCL5 and PCL6 compatibility.  We've been burned before where the very generic 'tech' docs don't tell you that those 43 fonts are PCL6 only and in PCL5 you only have a very small subset available.  Not the user guide, not the 180+ page software rreference guide... but if I had a printer I could just print a PCL font list (and then a PCL6 font list for comparison).
>
> The HP support site wants an SAID that covers the printer (and a serial number) to talk to me, and what passes for pre-sales support is a black hole that no information can apparently escape from.
>
> If not these, does anyone know with certainty that any specific current production HP Laser printers can properly and completely emulate an HP5si/HP8000 series printer WRT PCL5 and downloadable fonts?

Why do you stick with HP printers?  There are other good printers out
there, and with some, there are real tech people who will answer your
questions.

Got a Brother MFC 8270 and have had no problems, in printing, or, in
getting tech support.
0
David
12/5/2013 9:37:43 PM
On Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:37:43 PM UTC-6, David Froble wrote:
> Rich Jordan wrote:
>=20
> > HP printer division strikes again.  I'm asking here in case anyone happ=
ens to have one of these two printers:
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > 1.     HP LaserJet Pro 300 Color MFP M375nw.
>=20
> > 2.    HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color MFP M475dn.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > A customer needs to replace an existing LaserJet; all printing is PCL5 =
using a fair number of the fonts available on the older printers, and also =
doing soft font downloads for logos and special fonts.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > HP has FOR YEARS now stopped provinding detailed font information, even=
 on mid level and higher printers.  These printers list both PCL5 and PCL6 =
compatibility.  We've been burned before where the very generic 'tech' docs=
 don't tell you that those 43 fonts are PCL6 only and in PCL5 you only have=
 a very small subset available.  Not the user guide, not the 180+ page soft=
ware rreference guide... but if I had a printer I could just print a PCL fo=
nt list (and then a PCL6 font list for comparison).
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > The HP support site wants an SAID that covers the printer (and a serial=
 number) to talk to me, and what passes for pre-sales support is a black ho=
le that no information can apparently escape from.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > If not these, does anyone know with certainty that any specific current=
 production HP Laser printers can properly and completely emulate an HP5si/=
HP8000 series printer WRT PCL5 and downloadable fonts?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Why do you stick with HP printers?  There are other good printers out=20
>=20
> there, and with some, there are real tech people who will answer your=20
>=20
> questions.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Got a Brother MFC 8270 and have had no problems, in printing, or, in=20
>=20
> getting tech support.

Because in the past we've had a very high rate of compatibility failures in=
 PCL5 mode from Brother, Lexmark, Canon, Ricoh, and other printers that cla=
imed PCL5 or 5e compatibility.  They have been only 'mostly' compatible, wh=
ich unlike being mostly dead doesn't mean being slightly useful.  Bitmap fo=
nt download almost never worked, macros that worked across all earlier HP p=
rinters failed on the compatibles, line draw commands (for forms) consisten=
ly misprinted on the compatibles.  We spent _months_ working with tech supp=
ort for Brother, Ricoh, and Canon specifically on business class printers b=
efore they stopped responding, or assisting; they blew us off.  And they di=
dn't take their 'not-so-compatible' printers back, either. =20

So since then only HP printers are used for VMS printing that uses any feat=
ures beyond basic font selection and sizing, and the others are relegated t=
o windows-only.  The problem is now that many HP printers are only 'compati=
ble' and its damn near impossible to find out which ones ahead of time.

Hmmm. HP ignores Usenet but I wonder if tweeting at them with #HPSucks migh=
t get a response... they may care a little more about 'social media'...
0
Rich