IBM BlueGene/P ("what is Watson?")

IBM BlueGene/P (a.k.a. "what is Watson?"

http://www.research.ibm.com/deepqa/

   ###

People who know me also know I am very passionate about sci-fi. So
when I saw this today I just couldn't help thinking about HAL in
"2001: A Space Odyssey" as well as Skynet in the various Terminator
movies.

Neil Rieck
Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

0
n.rieck (2007)
6/21/2010 11:06:59 PM
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

> People who know me also know I am very passionate about sci-fi. So
> when I saw this today I just couldn't help thinking about HAL in
> "2001: A Space Odyssey" as well as Skynet in the various Terminator
> movies.

I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
0
iamcamiel (26)
6/22/2010 7:52:40 AM

>> People who know me also know I am very passionate about sci-fi. So
>> when I saw this today I just couldn't help thinking about HAL in
>> "2001: A Space Odyssey" as well as Skynet in the various Terminator
>> movies.

Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you
ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

0
johnrreagan (372)
6/22/2010 12:20:09 PM
On Jun 21, 7:06=A0pm, Neil Rieck <n.ri...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> IBM BlueGene/P (a.k.a. "what is Watson?"
>
> http://www.research.ibm.com/deepqa/
>
> =A0 =A0###
>
> People who know me also know I am very passionate about sci-fi. So
> when I saw this today I just couldn't help thinking about HAL in
> "2001: A Space Odyssey" as well as Skynet in the various Terminator
> movies.
>
> Neil Rieck
> Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge,
> Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

Yeah, but by 2267 there will be computers that explode when disabled!
Or talked into it! Depends on the episode.

AEF
0
spamsink2001 (3130)
6/22/2010 12:24:26 PM
In article <351b63a8-e3aa-4fc8-ac24-d01a3a4151b2@g19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
	AEF <spamsink2001@yahoo.com> writes:
> On Jun 21, 7:06�pm, Neil Rieck <n.ri...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> IBM BlueGene/P (a.k.a. "what is Watson?"
>>
>> http://www.research.ibm.com/deepqa/
>>
>> � �###
>>
>> People who know me also know I am very passionate about sci-fi. So
>> when I saw this today I just couldn't help thinking about HAL in
>> "2001: A Space Odyssey" as well as Skynet in the various Terminator
>> movies.
>>
>> Neil Rieck
>> Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge,
>> Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/
> Yeah, but by 2267 there will be computers that explode when disabled!
> Or talked into it! Depends on the episode.

Not sure that is a step forward.  I just listened to Asimov's "Liar"
on "Exploring Tomorrow" from the late 50's and heard somoeone give
a robot a mental breakdown by hitting it with a paradox based on the
three rules.

bill

billg999@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |
billg999 (2588)
6/22/2010 1:46:17 PM
On Jun 22, 9:46=A0am, billg...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
> In article <351b63a8-e3aa-4fc8-ac24-d01a3a415...@g19g2000yqc.googlegroups=
..com>,
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 AEF <spamsink2...@yahoo.com> writes:
>

> > On Jun 21, 7:06 pm, Neil Rieck <n.ri...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >> IBM BlueGene/P (a.k.a. "what is Watson?"
>
> >>http://www.research.ibm.com/deepqa/
>
> >> ###
>
> >> People who know me also know I am very passionate about sci-fi. So
> >> when I saw this today I just couldn't help thinking about HAL in
> >> "2001: A Space Odyssey" as well as Skynet in the various Terminator
> >> movies.
>
> >> Neil Rieck
> >> Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge,
> >> Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/
> > Yeah, but by 2267 there will be computers that explode when disabled!
> > Or talked into it! Depends on the episode.
>
> Not sure that is a step forward. =A0I just listened to Asimov's "Liar"
> on "Exploring Tomorrow" from the late 50's and heard somoeone give
> a robot a mental breakdown by hitting it with a paradox based on the
> three rules.
>
> bill
>
> --
> Bill Gunshannon =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0| =A0de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. =
=A0Three wolves
> billg...@cs.scranton.edu | =A0and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
> University of Scranton =A0 |
> Scranton, Pennsylvania =A0 | =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 #include <std.disclaimer.h> =
=A0

The original post was made by someone who is a HUGE Asimov fan (me)

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/Asimov-suggested-reading-order.html

IIRC, Liar is from the set of short stories known by the name "I,
Robot". And I seem to remember something about that Robot being a liar
because it didn't want to hurt Susan Calvin's feelings (it might have
been either a little telepathic or empathetic, a theme that crops up
in Asimov's stories from time to time (R. Giskard Reventlov then later
R. Daneel Olivaw) )

Neil Rieck
Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/
0
n.rieck (2007)
6/22/2010 10:13:42 PM
On Jun 22, 9:46=A0am, billg...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
> In article <351b63a8-e3aa-4fc8-ac24-d01a3a415...@g19g2000yqc.googlegroups=
..com>,
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 AEF <spamsink2...@yahoo.com> writes:
>

> > On Jun 21, 7:06 pm, Neil Rieck <n.ri...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >> IBM BlueGene/P (a.k.a. "what is Watson?"
>
> >>http://www.research.ibm.com/deepqa/
>
> >> ###
>
> >> People who know me also know I am very passionate about sci-fi. So
> >> when I saw this today I just couldn't help thinking about HAL in
> >> "2001: A Space Odyssey" as well as Skynet in the various Terminator
> >> movies.
>
> >> Neil Rieck
> >> Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge,
> >> Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/
> > Yeah, but by 2267 there will be computers that explode when disabled!
> > Or talked into it! Depends on the episode.
>
> Not sure that is a step forward. =A0I just listened to Asimov's "Liar"

But it's a lot more entertaining.

> on "Exploring Tomorrow" from the late 50's and heard somoeone give
> a robot a mental breakdown by hitting it with a paradox based on the
> three rules.

Star Trek did that, too. In at least two episodes, Kirk talked an evil
computer to self-destruct.

In another, the whole crew starts talking and acting in a totally
wacko, illogical manner. This causes the evil androids to demand an
explanation after which they are given a totally illogical answer. The
androids can't handle it and conk out.

In yet another, Spock determined which computer (I assume it was part
of a cluster) was the main control computer. Then Kirk (I think it was
Kirk) fired his phaser at it. Then they run out of the room as the
computers start sparking and smoking. The people run out in the hall
and crouch down and the entire computer cluster blows up with a bang!

Can you do any of this with Watson? I think not!

> bill
>
> --
> Bill Gunshannon =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0| =A0de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. =
=A0Three wolves
> billg...@cs.scranton.edu | =A0and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
> University of Scranton =A0 |
> Scranton, Pennsylvania =A0 | =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 #include <std.disclaimer.h> =
=A0

AEF
0
spamsink2001 (3130)
6/23/2010 1:18:49 PM
In article <e203bf36-443f-4d85-8e65-18e5cd29aeed@s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
AEF <spamsink2001@yahoo.com> writes:

> Star Trek did that, too. In at least two episodes, Kirk talked an evil
> computer to self-destruct.

but that was in the good old times when computers were really dumb.
IIRC in one of the TNG episodes the crew tried similar tricks
by requiring an evil computer to calculate PI to the last digit.
The machine was smart enough to recognize that PI is irrational
and thus refused the computation. That's progress, I guess.
0
M.Kraemer (2048)
6/23/2010 1:49:23 PM
On Jun 23, 8:49=A0am, m.krae...@gsi.de (Michael Kraemer) wrote:
> In article <e203bf36-443f-4d85-8e65-18e5cd29a...@s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.=
com>,

> AEF <spamsink2...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Star Trek did that, too. In at least two episodes, Kirk talked an evil
> > computer to self-destruct.
>
> but that was in the good old times when computers were really dumb.
> IIRC in one of the TNG episodes the crew tried similar tricks
> by requiring an evil computer to calculate PI to the last digit.
> The machine was smart enough to recognize that PI is irrational
> and thus refused the computation. That's progress, I guess.

Or maybe it was just really good at optimization...
0
jordan (1228)
6/23/2010 2:39:28 PM
On Jun 23, 9:49=A0am, m.krae...@gsi.de (Michael Kraemer) wrote:
> In article <e203bf36-443f-4d85-8e65-18e5cd29a...@s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.=
com>,

> AEF <spamsink2...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Star Trek did that, too. In at least two episodes, Kirk talked an evil
> > computer to self-destruct.
>
> but that was in the good old times when computers were really dumb.
> IIRC in one of the TNG episodes the crew tried similar tricks
> by requiring an evil computer to calculate PI to the last digit.
> The machine was smart enough to recognize that PI is irrational
> and thus refused the computation. That's progress, I guess.

Nope. That was in TOS. The episode was Wolf in the Fold. Maybe TNG did
it too -- don't know.

I forgot that one!

AEF
0
spamsink2001 (3130)
6/23/2010 2:43:06 PM
On Jun 23, 10:39=A0am, Rich Jordan <jor...@ccs4vms.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 8:49=A0am, m.krae...@gsi.de (Michael Kraemer) wrote:
>
> > In article <e203bf36-443f-4d85-8e65-18e5cd29a...@s9g2000yqd.googlegroup=
s.com>,

> > AEF <spamsink2...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > > Star Trek did that, too. In at least two episodes, Kirk talked an evi=
> > > computer to self-destruct.
>
> > but that was in the good old times when computers were really dumb.
> > IIRC in one of the TNG episodes the crew tried similar tricks
> > by requiring an evil computer to calculate PI to the last digit.
> > The machine was smart enough to recognize that PI is irrational
> > and thus refused the computation. That's progress, I guess.
>
> Or maybe it was just really good at optimization...

Oh, sorry. Didn't read it carefully enough. Obviously the computers
advanced between TOS and TNG. The crew should have done a manual
override.

AEF
0
spamsink2001 (3130)
6/23/2010 2:44:21 PM
"AEF" <spamsink2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Then they run out of the room as the
> computers start sparking and smoking. The people run out in the hall
> and crouch down and the entire computer cluster blows up with a bang!

Wouldn't have happened if they'd run SCS over IP.

0
R.Brodie (551)
6/23/2010 2:46:14 PM
Michael Kraemer wrote:

> but that was in the good old times when computers were really dumb.
> IIRC in one of the TNG episodes the crew tried similar tricks
> by requiring an evil computer to calculate PI to the last digit.
> The machine was smart enough to recognize that PI is irrational
> and thus refused the computation. That's progress, I guess.

No, it is experience. The evil compurter would have watched the original
Ster Trek series episodes and knew that the new crew were trying the
same tricks.  :-)
On Jun 23, 3:37=A0pm, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> Michael Kraemer wrote:
> > but that was in the good old times when computers were really dumb.
> > IIRC in one of the TNG episodes the crew tried similar tricks
> > by requiring an evil computer to calculate PI to the last digit.
> > The machine was smart enough to recognize that PI is irrational
> > and thus refused the computation. That's progress, I guess.
>
> No, it is experience. The evil compurter would have watched the original
> Ster Trek series episodes and knew that the new crew were trying the
> same tricks. =A0:-)

I have the episode on my ipod.  I think Spock asked for the exact
value, but I'm not sure. I'll check this evening. Stay tuned.

AEF
0
spamsink2001 (3130)
6/23/2010 7:53:27 PM
On Jun 23, 3:53=A0pm, AEF <spamsink2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 3:37=A0pm, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
>
> > Michael Kraemer wrote:
> > > but that was in the good old times when computers were really dumb.
> > > IIRC in one of the TNG episodes the crew tried similar tricks
> > > by requiring an evil computer to calculate PI to the last digit.
> > > The machine was smart enough to recognize that PI is irrational
> > > and thus refused the computation. That's progress, I guess.
>
> > No, it is experience. The evil compurter would have watched the origina=
> > Ster Trek series episodes and knew that the new crew were trying the
> > same tricks. =A0:-)
>
> I have the episode on my ipod. =A0I think Spock asked for the exact
> value, but I'm not sure. I'll check this evening. Stay tuned.
>
> AEF

Well, I have it on the Mac, too.

Spock: Computer: This is a class A directive. Compute, to the last
digit, the value of pi.

Jack the Ripper who is "in" the computer: No no no no no no noooooooo!

Spock: As we know, the value of pi is a transcendental figure [true!]
without resolution. The computer banks will work on this problem to
the exclusion of all else until we order it to stop.

Kirk: Yes, that should keep that thing busy for a while.

So what happened on TNG?
In article <a2e8d010-5bd8-4e40-9023-e341e7574db2@w12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, Camiel <iamcamiel@gmail.com> writes:
>> People who know me also know I am very passionate about sci-fi. So
>> when I saw this today I just couldn't help thinking about HAL in
>> "2001: A Space Odyssey" as well as Skynet in the various Terminator
>> movies.
>

> I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

   Sorry, the correct question is:

   "What is:  'I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.' ?"
0
koehler2 (8314)
6/24/2010 6:02:38 AM
In article <hvt3d3$jqc$1@lnx107.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de>, m.kraemer@gsi.de (Michael Kraemer) writes:

> but that was in the good old times when computers were really dumb.
> IIRC in one of the TNG episodes the crew tried similar tricks
> by requiring an evil computer to calculate PI to the last digit.
> The machine was smart enough to recognize that PI is irrational
> and thus refused the computation. That's progress, I guess.

   From memory-alpha.org:

   "In 2267, when the entity Redjac took control of the computer of the
   USS Enterprise, Spock forced it out with a Class-A compulsory directive
   to compute pi to the last digit - a task that it could never complete.
   (TOS: 'Wolf in the Fold')"

0
koehler2 (8314)
6/24/2010 6:19:47 AM
In article
<1ef062d6-d92c-47d3-bac8-94f2202ffd66@a29g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>, AEF
<spamsink2001@yahoo.com> writes:

> Oh, sorry. Didn't read it carefully enough. Obviously the computers
> advanced between TOS and TNG. The crew should have done a manual
> override.

As one of the cast mentioned, in TNG they were at least real computers;
in TOS they were made of wood.

0
helbig (5064)
6/24/2010 8:03:46 PM
On Jun 24, 4:03=A0pm, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
undress to reply) wrote:
> In article
> <1ef062d6-d92c-47d3-bac8-94f2202ff...@a29g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>, AEF
>
> <spamsink2...@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Oh, sorry. Didn't read it carefully enough. Obviously the computers
> > advanced between TOS and TNG. The crew should have done a manual
> > override.
>
> As one of the cast mentioned, in TNG they were at least real computers;
> in TOS they were made of wood.

So why the hell didn't they just install a program that didn't check
if the number is a non-terminating decimal or not?

Sounds silly? Well, not any sillier than lots of other stuff in Star
Trek! (I still love TOS, nevertheless.) Well, maybe the Web site with
the software was down at the time. Or perhaps one of those nasty ion
storms inhibited transmission of the software! Well, Data probably
could have just written, compiled, and linked one right on the spot!
Has any Star Trek story ever acknowledged that computers run software,
with all its implications and such?

I've only seen one entire episode of TNG, and it wasn't this one! It
was also  pretty silly. Apparently, "corrupting" a civilization is
worse than letting it and its planet die, or whatever would have
killed them. On the other hand, maybe yes! Back on the first hand,
many here want to save endangered species, even though such actions
may well have unpleasant consequences!

Alright, enough silliness. No, it's not late, but I am under the
weather.

AEF
In article
<fc1d3ef5-0ff5-44e5-b6a5-017c6b86c4c3@z10g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Alan Feldman <alanfeldman48@gmail.com> writes:

> Sounds silly? Well, not any sillier than lots of other stuff in Star
> Trek! (I still love TOS, nevertheless.)

You know that thing Spock sometimes has in his ear?  It's an acoustic
modem.  His brain can decode the binary stream from the ship's computer.

0
helbig (5064)
6/25/2010 5:53:01 AM
Alan Feldman schrieb:
> On Jun 23, 3:53 pm, AEF <spamsink2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>No, it is experience. The evil compurter would have watched the original
>>>Ster Trek series episodes and knew that the new crew were trying the
>>>same tricks.  :-)
>>
>>I have the episode on my ipod.  I think Spock asked for the exact
>>value, but I'm not sure. I'll check this evening. Stay tuned.
>>
>>AEF
>

> Well, I have it on the Mac, too.
>
> Spock: Computer: This is a class A directive. Compute, to the last
> digit, the value of pi.
>
> Jack the Ripper who is "in" the computer: No no no no no no noooooooo!
>
> Spock: As we know, the value of pi is a transcendental figure [true!]
> without resolution. The computer banks will work on this problem to
> the exclusion of all else until we order it to stop.
>
> Kirk: Yes, that should keep that thing busy for a while.

That's the classic example how to keep the computer busy
until it eventually goes up in smoke.

> So what happened on TNG?

My memory is really weak, but ISTR that in a later episode, presumably
a TNG one, the computer simply refused to calculate an irrational
number, be it PI or sqrt(2) or sth like that, because it knew beforehand
that it would be impossible.
This somehow reflects the different views on IT in the 1960s vs the
late 1980s.
Anyway, SciFi tells you more about the past than the future.

0
M.Kraemer (2048)
6/25/2010 8:35:21 AM
On Jun 25, 3:35=A0am, Michael Kraemer <M.Krae...@gsi.de> wrote:
> Alan Feldman schrieb:

> >>I have the episode on my ipod. =A0I think Spock asked for the exact
> >>value, but I'm not sure. I'll check this evening. Stay tuned.
>
> >>AEF
>
> > Well, I have it on the Mac, too.
>
> > Spock: Computer: This is a class A directive. Compute, to the last
> > digit, the value of pi.
>
> > Jack the Ripper who is "in" the computer: No no no no no no noooooooo!
>
> > Spock: As we know, the value of pi is a transcendental figure [true!]
> > without resolution. The computer banks will work on this problem to
> > the exclusion of all else until we order it to stop.
>
> > Kirk: Yes, that should keep that thing busy for a while.
>
> That's the classic example how to keep the computer busy
> until it eventually goes up in smoke.
>
> > So what happened on TNG?
>
> My memory is really weak, but ISTR that in a later episode, presumably
> a TNG one, the computer simply refused to calculate an irrational
> number, be it PI or sqrt(2) or sth like that, because it knew beforehand
> that it would be impossible.
> This somehow reflects the different views on IT in the 1960s vs the
> late 1980s.
> Anyway, SciFi tells you more about the past than the future.- Hide quoted=
 text -

This from a ST fan, TNG way more than TOS.  For me, it was
entertainment and it told some good stories.  The Borg stuff was hard
to beat and I liked Q.  Didn't he "introduce" the Borg and show Picard
the ooze from which we came.

Why not enjoy it for what it was rather than criticizing it for what
it wasn't.  ST did not air on PBS to my knowledge.  I think Shatner
once said:  "it's just a TV show, get a life!!"

Program complete, enter when ready.
0
DaveG
6/25/2010 1:56:40 PM
In article <hvt6nm$nf$1@south.jnrs.ja.net>,
 "Richard Brodie" <R.Brodie@rl.ac.uk> wrote:

> "AEF" <spamsink2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > Then they run out of the room as the
> > computers start sparking and smoking. The people run out in the hall
> > and crouch down and the entire computer cluster blows up with a bang!
>
> Wouldn't have happened if they'd run SCS over IP.

A possibly apocryphal tale from many moons ago:

The story of "CVAX... when you care enough to steal the very best" on
VAX chips is well known, but the Chinese were after DEC kit as well.

Apparently RSX was too demanding for the only disk controllers they
could get hold of, and would overheat them to the point of physical
damage.

--
Paul Sture
0
 Camiel <iamcamiel@gmail.com> wrote:

> > People who know me also know I am very passionate about sci-fi. So
> > when I saw this today I just couldn't help thinking about HAL in
> > "2001: A Space Odyssey" as well as Skynet in the various Terminator
> > movies.
>

> I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

I watched that again last week. Very good considering when it was made.

--
Paul Sture
0
DaveG wrote:

> This from a ST fan, TNG way more than TOS.  For me, it was
> entertainment and it told some good stories.

HERESY ! HERESY ! You have to be burned !

Star Trek TNG was, and remains a historical documentary of what will
happen. It has detailed the future of humankind in so many ways. It is
not entertainment.

The blue prints of the warp engine have already been made. (I have a
copy on CD somewhere).

And we know that Zephrem Cochrane will be born in 2030, and on April 5
2063, will launch the Phoenix, a converted missile and deploy his warp
nacelles and perform the first warp flight in humankind. And we even
know that during this event, he will be playing the "Magic Carpet Ride"
from Steppenwolf.

There is documented evidence (on celluloid film)  that Captain Kirk and
the gang have been seen in 1986 San Francisco. (And that Scotty gave
some San Francisco firm the formula for transparent aluminium).

I point to you the new ipod4 whose glass is made of: transparent aluminium.

Apple happens to also be in the san francisco area. Coincidence ?????  I
think not !

The gall to call this just "entertainment". Star Trek are historical
documents that are accurate. They deserve proper respect (*)

In a way, I pity the poor chap born in 2030 with the name Zephrem
Cochrane. His history will be already well documented and he'll have a
lot of pressure on his shoulders to execute an already documented history.

(*) until proven wrong later this century.

:-) symbols omitted for greater dramatic effect :-)
Paul Sture wrote:

>> I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
>
> I watched that again last week. Very good considering when it was made.

Yeah. If it had been made in the 1980s, HAL would have said:

"Bad command or file name; Abort, Retry, Ignore ?"

In article <4c256d6c$0$32056$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
 JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Paul Sture wrote:
>
> >> I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
> >
> > I watched that again last week. Very good considering when it was made.
>
> Yeah. If it had been made in the 1980s, HAL would have said:
>
> "Bad command or file name; Abort, Retry, Ignore ?"

Aarrgh. I was doing some Windows command line stuff the other day. It
really is a pain in the neck to use, and definitely not helped by the
implementation of copy/paste for the command line window.

--
Paul Sture
0
On Jun 25, 9:56=A0am, DaveG <david.gudew...@abbott.com> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 3:35=A0am, Michael Kraemer <M.Krae...@gsi.de> wrote:
>

> > Alan Feldman schrieb:

> > > Well, I have it on the Mac, too.
>
> > > Spock: Computer: This is a class A directive. Compute, to the last
> > > digit, the value of pi.
>
> > > Jack the Ripper who is "in" the computer: No no no no no no noooooooo=
!

> > > Spock: As we know, the value of pi is a transcendental figure [true!]
> > > without resolution. The computer banks will work on this problem to
> > > the exclusion of all else until we order it to stop.
>
> > > Kirk: Yes, that should keep that thing busy for a while.
>
> > That's the classic example how to keep the computer busy
> > until it eventually goes up in smoke.
>
> > > So what happened on TNG?
>
> > My memory is really weak, but ISTR that in a later episode, presumably
> > a TNG one, the computer simply refused to calculate an irrational
> > number, be it PI or sqrt(2) or sth like that, because it knew beforehan=
> > that it would be impossible.
> > This somehow reflects the different views on IT in the 1960s vs the
> > late 1980s.
> > Anyway, SciFi tells you more about the past than the future.- Hide quot=
ed text -

> This from a ST fan, TNG way more than TOS. =A0For me, it was
> entertainment and it told some good stories. =A0The Borg stuff was hard
> to beat and I liked Q. =A0Didn't he "introduce" the Borg and show Picard
> the ooze from which we came.
>
> Why not enjoy it for what it was rather than criticizing it for what
> it wasn't. =A0ST did not air on PBS to my knowledge. =A0I think Shatner
> once said: =A0"it's just a TV show, get a life!!"
>
> Program complete, enter when ready.

But that's the fun of it! Enjoying it AND pointing out the flaws. One
has to remember they had a small budget to work with, even smaller
during the third season.

The first time I just couldn't go with it was Star Trek IV with the
whales. Yeah, it was fun, but I really had to ignore the destructo
ship destorying planets where whales were fished to death. I just
can't see it.
On Jun 27, 8:43=A0pm, Alan Feldman <alanfeldma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 9:56=A0am, DaveG <david.gudew...@abbott.com> wrote:

> > > That's the classic example how to keep the computer busy
> > > until it eventually goes up in smoke.

> > > My memory is really weak, but ISTR that in a later episode, presumabl=
> > > a TNG one, the computer simply refused to calculate an irrational
> > > number, be it PI or sqrt(2) or sth like that, because it knew beforeh=
and
> > > that it would be impossible.
> > > This somehow reflects the different views on IT in the 1960s vs the
> > > late 1980s.
> > > Anyway, SciFi tells you more about the past than the future.- Hide qu=
oted text -

> > This from a ST fan, TNG way more than TOS. =A0For me, it was
> > entertainment and it told some good stories. =A0The Borg stuff was hard
> > to beat and I liked Q. =A0Didn't he "introduce" the Borg and show Picar=
> > the ooze from which we came.
>
> > Why not enjoy it for what it was rather than criticizing it for what
> > it wasn't. =A0ST did not air on PBS to my knowledge. =A0I think Shatner
> > once said: =A0"it's just a TV show, get a life!!"
>
> > Program complete, enter when ready.
>
> But that's the fun of it! Enjoying it AND pointing out the flaws. One
> has to remember they had a small budget to work with, even smaller
> during the third season.

The flaws add some "light comedy" to the experience.

> The first time I just couldn't go with it was Star Trek IV with the
> whales. Yeah, it was fun, but I really had to ignore the destructo
> ship destorying planets where whales were fished to death. I just
> can't see it.

Uh, fat-fingered a premature post. Sorry about that!

I just can't see it: A large cylindrical probe, wandering the galaxy,
looking for planets whose whales have gone extinct. "Ah, whales!" Next
solar system. "Ah, whales here too. Next!" "Uph! No whales here. Time
to slowly destroy the place!"

It was just too much. I could go with everything until that point --
flaws and all. Oh, come to think of it I did have some problems going
along with Star Trek III. I need to re-watch Wrath of Khan. I keep
reading that that was a really good one. Is that the one where Spock
should have fired his phaser and wimped out? That was a "C'mon" moment
for me.

Well, I could go on and on. I'll stop here.

AEF
In article <4c256cda$0$32056$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> writes:

> And we know that Zephrem Cochrane will be born in 2030, and on April 5
> 2063, will launch the Phoenix, a converted missile and deploy his warp
> nacelles and perform the first warp flight in humankind. And we even
> know that during this event, he will be playing the "Magic Carpet Ride"
> from Steppenwolf.

   Cochrane is going to have a real headache.  He has to be born on
   Alpha-Centautri (must require a real warm room), and on Earth.
   He has to be calm and mild mannered, and a heavy drinking ragged
   old hippy.

0
koehler2 (8314)