Itanium serial ports

  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the 
serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console. 
The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in 
to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters 
I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits, 
parity & stop bits.

Any clues?

Jeff Coffield
0
Reply Jeffrey 7/6/2007 3:58:41 PM

See related articles to this posting


"Jeffrey H. Coffield" wrote:
> 
> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console.
> The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in
> to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters
> I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits,
> parity & stop bits.
> 
> Any clues?

Does the MSA need to see the modem control signals asserted? (DTR/DSR, CTS/RTS,
etc.)

-- 
David J Dachtera
dba DJE Systems
http://www.djesys.com/

Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/
0
Reply djesys.no (1536) 7/6/2007 4:45:40 PM

Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the 
> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console. 
> The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in 
> to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters 
> I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits, 
> parity & stop bits.
> 
> Any clues?

   A short is unlikely; this sounds like something weird with the port.

   Have you confirmed TT0: is the port you expect it to be?  Have you 
tried connecting into that port using a terminal and terminal emulator, 
and logged in?  Half the battle with serial ports on the Integrity 
involved sorting out which one was the console (as it varied, based on 
several factors), and which one wasn't.  Once you have something 
connected, you can SET HOST/DTE into the terminal or the emulator, and 
you should see characters arriving in the terminal or emulator display 
window.

   The Integrity serial connector I was using with the BD25 port on the 
rx2600 was the H8575-E, and the pinout for most DECconnect adapters is 
available at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/padapters.html

   I don't know that the pinout from the MSA1000 is posted anywhere, but 
you can use a multimeter to probe the adapter wiring and figure that 
out.  From that and from the DECconnect stuff, you can confirm the 
wiring.  (An RJ45 for serial communications?  Shudder.  Never liked to 
see that approach, no matter who used it.)



-- 
www.HoffmanLabs.com
Services for OpenVMS
0
Reply hoff13 (384) 7/6/2007 5:01:49 PM

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:45:40 -0700, David J Dachtera  
<djesys.no@spam.comcast.net> wrote:

> "Jeffrey H. Coffield" wrote:
>>
>> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
>> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console.
>> The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in
>> to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters
>> I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits,
>> parity & stop bits.
>>
>> Any clues?
>
> Does the MSA need to see the modem control signals asserted? (DTR/DSR,  
> CTS/RTS,
> etc.)
>
Are you sure the port is TTA0?  does SET HOST/SCSI work with MSA devices?


-- 
PL/I for OpenVMS
www.kednos.com
0
Reply tom-remove (86) 7/6/2007 5:06:41 PM

On 6 Jul, 18:06, "Tom Linden" <tom-rem...@kednos.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:45:40 -0700, David J Dachtera  
>
>
>
>
>
> <djesys...@spam.comcast.net> wrote:
> > "Jeffrey H. Coffield" wrote:
>
> >> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
> >> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console.
> >> The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in
> >> to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters
> >> I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits,
> >> parity & stop bits.
>
> >> Any clues?
>
> > Does the MSA need to see the modem control signals asserted? (DTR/DSR,  
> > CTS/RTS,
> > etc.)
>
> Are you sure the port is TTA0?  does SET HOST/SCSI work with MSA devices?
>
> --
> PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

SET HOST/SCSI doesn't work, but there is an MSA_UTIL.EXE in SYS$ETC
which can be used to connect to the MSA from a booted VMS system.
It's a fraction more brain-dead than the MSA console itself, but only
a bit.

btw, who was it that decided that you had to use EXACT syntax on the
MSA1000 controllers?  Why forget the behaviour of things like HSZ70s?
*sigh*

0
Reply etmsreec (419) 7/9/2007 9:18:27 AM

On Jul 9, 10:18 am, etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> On 6 Jul, 18:06, "Tom Linden" <tom-rem...@kednos.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:45:40 -0700, David J Dachtera
>
> > <djesys...@spam.comcast.net> wrote:
> > > "Jeffrey H. Coffield" wrote:
>
> > >> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
> > >> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console.
> > >> The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in
> > >> to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters
> > >> I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits,
> > >> parity & stop bits.
>
> > >> Any clues?
>
> > > Does the MSA need to see the modem control signals asserted? (DTR/DSR,
> > > CTS/RTS,
> > > etc.)
>
> > Are you sure the port is TTA0?  does SET HOST/SCSI work with MSA devices?
>
> > --
> > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com-Hide quoted text -
>
> > - Show quoted text -
>
> SET HOST/SCSI doesn't work, but there is an MSA_UTIL.EXE in SYS$ETC
> which can be used to connect to the MSA from a booted VMS system.
> It's a fraction more brain-dead than the MSA console itself, but only
> a bit.
>
> btw, who was it that decided that you had to use EXACT syntax on the
> MSA1000 controllers?  Why forget the behaviour of things like HSZ70s?
> *sigh*


See also MSA _UTIL V1.0
http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/01/29/7171032

0
Reply gxys (807) 7/9/2007 11:05:34 AM

IanMiller wrote:
> On Jul 9, 10:18 am, etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> On 6 Jul, 18:06, "Tom Linden" <tom-rem...@kednos.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:45:40 -0700, David J Dachtera
>>> <djesys...@spam.comcast.net> wrote:
>>>> "Jeffrey H. Coffield" wrote:
>>>>> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
>>>>> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console.
>>>>> The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in
>>>>> to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters
>>>>> I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits,
>>>>> parity & stop bits.
>>>>> Any clues?
>>>> Does the MSA need to see the modem control signals asserted? (DTR/DSR,
>>>> CTS/RTS,
>>>> etc.)
>>> Are you sure the port is TTA0?  does SET HOST/SCSI work with MSA devices?
>>> --
>>> PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com-Hide quoted text -
>>> - Show quoted text -
>> SET HOST/SCSI doesn't work, but there is an MSA_UTIL.EXE in SYS$ETC
>> which can be used to connect to the MSA from a booted VMS system.
>> It's a fraction more brain-dead than the MSA console itself, but only
>> a bit.
>>
>> btw, who was it that decided that you had to use EXACT syntax on the
>> MSA1000 controllers?  Why forget the behaviour of things like HSZ70s?
>> *sigh*
> 
> 
> See also MSA _UTIL V1.0
> http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/01/29/7171032
> 
This sounds good. I will try this but I still want to get to the bottom 
of the serial cable issue. My break out box did just that and broke. Due 
to my schedule the next chance I will have to try (with a new break out 
box) is next Thursday.

Thanks to all who replied.

Jeff Coffield
0
Reply Jeffrey 7/9/2007 2:25:58 PM

Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
> 
>> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the 
>> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial 
>> console. The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I 
>> plug it in to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is 
>> the characters I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the 
>> baud rate, bits, parity & stop bits.
>>
>> Any clues?
> 
> 
>   A short is unlikely; this sounds like something weird with the port.
> 
>   Have you confirmed TT0: is the port you expect it to be?  Have you 
> tried connecting into that port using a terminal and terminal emulator, 
> and logged in?  Half the battle with serial ports on the Integrity 
> involved sorting out which one was the console (as it varied, based on 
> several factors), and which one wasn't.  Once you have something 
> connected, you can SET HOST/DTE into the terminal or the emulator, and 
> you should see characters arriving in the terminal or emulator display 
> window.
> 
>   The Integrity serial connector I was using with the BD25 port on the 
> rx2600 was the H8575-E, and the pinout for most DECconnect adapters is 
> available at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/padapters.html
> 
>   I don't know that the pinout from the MSA1000 is posted anywhere, but 
> you can use a multimeter to probe the adapter wiring and figure that 
> out.  From that and from the DECconnect stuff, you can confirm the 
> wiring.  (An RJ45 for serial communications?  Shudder.  Never liked to 
> see that approach, no matter who used it.)


The RJ45 connector is at the MSA1000 end and it isn't actually an RJ45;
IIRC it has 10 pins!

I plugged the one that came with my customer's MSA1000 directly into a
serial port on their Alpha ES40, and it worked fine.  The HP guys setting
it up also used it to plug into a laptop for configuring, and I think we
had it plugged into a terminal for a while.

The cable wasn't really long enough, so I scooted over to the near-by
Radio Shack and got the only 9-pin extension cable they had, which was
only a 6 footer.  It worked fine, but still wasn't long enough!  We
were able to duct-tape it to the floor instead of going across an aisle
in mid-air though :-(  (Why does Radio Shack always have something very
close to what you need, but *never* exactly what you need?  A 10-foot
cable or longer we could have run under the floor and with plenty of
slack at the back of the Alpha to pull it out on its slides easily,
but they only had one 6-foot cable...)


So it worked fine on an Alpha.  Don't know if it will work on
an rx2600, but the two serial ports on the back of my rx2620
look like normal 9-pin ports, so it *ought* to work.  I did

  $ set term/perm tta0:/form/lowercase/nobroadcast/dma/noautobaud -
    /fulldup/notypeahead/line/dev=VT100/speed=19200

in sys$startup_vms.com

The speed obviously has to match.  Nobroadcast prevents the MSA
from seeing reply/all (e.g. system shutdown messages).

/Notypeahead prevents chattering, but you have to turn it off
before using the port.  So I

   $ allocate tta0:
   $ set term/type tta0:		! without the /perm
   $ set host/dte tta0:

When done, I deallocate tta0: (or just log off), and it reverts
to notypeahead.

I don't know how important the other settings are, lost in the
mists of time...


--------

More info, including DB9 pinout of the MSA1000 cable:


Anyway the cust. actually had 2 dual-controller MSA1000s, but the
reseller only shipped one cable.  Eventually they shipped the other
3, but there was only one available port on the Alpha...  (The other
was being used for a printer or something.)  But they did have a
DS90 with a bunch of spare ports (RJ45, this time, real RJ45), so
I made them some adapters (RJ45 to DB9) and they hooked up all the
MSA consoles using:

MSA1000 <RJnot45----DB9F> <DB9M-RJ45> <RJ45----RJ45> DS90

After cleaning out MicroCenter's limited supply of RJ45 to DB9M
adapters, and busting one of them, I got a bag of 10 of them from
a local electronics store, wired them up, and shipped them off to
the customer.



I had to experiment a bit to discover the correct wiring pattern,
and it was hard because I had to wire two of the DB9 pins together.

Since I didn't have either a DS90 or an MSA1000 to test with, I had
to mess around some with some stand-ins, a DS700 and a couple of modems
with DB9 to DB25 adapters.  First I checked that a PC with a standard
9-pin port could talk to the modems (or maybe I used a 9-pin serial
port on one of my Alphas, I can't remember which) and then used a
standard Cat5 patch cable to connect the DS700 to my adapter.  It
turned out the 2 modems demanded slightly different signals, but I
was able to build an adapter that worked with both!

Anyway the pinning was:

RJ45		DB9

1 Rcv Gnd----+--5 Gnd
3 Tx Gnd-----|

(Tie the two grounds together)

2 Rcv-----------2 Rcv
4 CTS-----------8 CTS
5 RTS-----------7 RTS
6 Tx------------3 Tx
7 DTR-----------4 DTR
8 DSR-----------6 DSR

                 1 DCD (No connection)
                 9 ??? (No connection)




Except for stripping pin 3 and soldering the wire to pin 1,
assembling these things was easy, just snap the pins into the
appropriate holes in the DB9 shell.


Curiously, the two different brands of RJ-DB adapters had the
exact same color code for the 8 wires on the RJ side... I
wonder if this is standardized?



-- 
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
781-861-0670 ext 539
0
Reply john5 (550) 7/10/2007 6:53:48 AM

"John Santos" <john@egh.com> wrote in message 
news:02Gki.1754$YH3.568@trnddc08...
> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
>>

>
>  $ set term/perm tta0:/form/lowercase/nobroadcast/dma/noautobaud -
>    /fulldup/notypeahead/line/dev=VT100/speed=19200
>

/dma is fairly meaningless since it applies to only very specific old 
controllers.  /fulldup turns on full duplex which should already be the 
default.  /notypeahead prevents the use of the typeahead buffer in terminal 
driver.  /noauto turns off the logic for a unallocated terminal to detect 
the terminal speed (done by hitting the return key).  /line turns on line 
editing.  /lowercase prevents upcasing of input.  /form has to do with the 
intepretation of form feed as linefeed (IIRC).



0
Reply fred.nospam2 (506) 7/10/2007 12:00:29 PM

"John Santos" <john@egh.com> wrote in message 
news:02Gki.1754$YH3.568@trnddc08...
> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
>>

>>   A short is unlikely; this sounds like something weird with the port.
>>
>>   Have you confirmed TT0: is the port you expect it to be?  Have you 
>> tried connecting into that port using a terminal and terminal emulator, 
>> and logged in?  Half the battle with serial ports on the Integrity 
>> involved sorting out which one was the console (as it varied, based on 
>> several factors), and which one wasn't.  Once you have something 
>> connected, you can SET HOST/DTE into the terminal or the emulator, and 
>> you should see characters arriving in the terminal or emulator display 
>> window.
>>

To me it sounds like either a bad cable or lack of or multiple null modem 
connections.  The Integrity serial ports work as expected except for the one 
on the management processor (usually on a 3 wire pigtail) which is a 
"virtual" serial port that is marginally good enough to use as a boot 
console, but not suitable for use as a communication connection (which is 
why we try to configure it only if it is used as the boot console serial 
port).



0
Reply fred.nospam2 (506) 7/10/2007 12:06:19 PM

In article <f6vscu$2e2$1@usenet01.boi.hp.com>, "FredK" <fred.nospam@dec.com> writes:
> 
> "John Santos" <john@egh.com> wrote in message 
> news:02Gki.1754$YH3.568@trnddc08...
>> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>>> Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
>>>
> 
>>
>>  $ set term/perm tta0:/form/lowercase/nobroadcast/dma/noautobaud -
>>    /fulldup/notypeahead/line/dev=VT100/speed=19200
>>
> 
> /dma is fairly meaningless since it applies to only very specific old 
> controllers.  /fulldup turns on full duplex which should already be the 
> default.  /notypeahead prevents the use of the typeahead buffer in terminal 
> driver.  /noauto turns off the logic for a unallocated terminal to detect 
> the terminal speed (done by hitting the return key).  /line turns on line 
> editing.  /lowercase prevents upcasing of input.  /form has to do with the 
> intepretation of form feed as linefeed (IIRC).

/form applies on output and indicates whether the attached device is
capable of processing a form feed character properly.  With /FORM in
place, form feeds are written to the attached device "as is".  With
/NOFORM, form feeds in the output stream are replaced with an appropriate
number of line feeds.

The terminal driver tracks the current line number within the current
page so that it can produce the right number of line feeds (based
on the /PAGE setting).

Some applications may use /FORM as a hint that the attached device
is capable of processing form feeds.  For instance, I believe that the
VMS print symbiont looks at /FORM for this purpose.

/nobroadcast turns off the display of messages sent to the terminal
from OPCOM or with the use of the $BRKTHRU system service.  This
is often used for printers so that one does not see system reboot
warning messages in the middle of the accounts payable report.

An important use of /notypeahead is to prevent the terminal from being
used to log in to the system.  /notypeahead suppresses the unsolicited
input AST that would otherwise cause the job controller to start login
processing when a user presses a key on an unallocated terminal.  As
such, it is almost certainly redundant to include /noauto on a terminal
that is also set to /notypeahead.

If the terminal device is expected to provide input it is important
that it be set to /typeahead once an application has allocated
the device.  If the terminal device is not expected to provide input
(e.g. if it is a printer) then /notypeahead is not a problem.
0
Reply briggs3 (574) 7/10/2007 1:08:18 PM

FredK wrote:

> To me it sounds like either a bad cable 

I'd thought about that, though O.P. indicates the cable works elsewhere.

-- 
www.HoffmanLabs.com
Services for OpenVMS
0
Reply hoff13 (384) 7/10/2007 2:07:23 PM

John Santos wrote:
> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> 
>> Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
>>
>>> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the 
>>> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial 
>>> console. The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when 
>>> I plug it in to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is 
>>> the characters I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the 
>>> baud rate, bits, parity & stop bits.
>>>
>>> Any clues?
>>
>>   A short is unlikely; this sounds like something weird with the port.
>>
>>   Have you confirmed TT0: is the port you expect it to be?  Have you 
>> tried connecting into that port using a terminal and terminal 
>> emulator, and logged in?  Half the battle with serial ports on the 
>> Integrity involved sorting out which one was the console (as it 
>> varied, based on several factors), and which one wasn't.  Once you 
>> have something connected, you can SET HOST/DTE into the terminal or 
>> the emulator, and you should see characters arriving in the terminal 
>> or emulator display window.
>>
>>   The Integrity serial connector I was using with the BD25 port on the 
>> rx2600 was the H8575-E, and the pinout for most DECconnect adapters is 
>> available at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/padapters.html
>>
>>   I don't know that the pinout from the MSA1000 is posted anywhere, 
>> but you can use a multimeter to probe the adapter wiring and figure 
>> that out.  From that and from the DECconnect stuff, you can confirm 
>> the wiring.  (An RJ45 for serial communications?  Shudder.  Never 
>> liked to see that approach, no matter who used it.)
> 
> The RJ45 connector is at the MSA1000 end and it isn't actually an RJ45;
> IIRC it has 10 pins!

The MSA1000 RJ plug also has 2 serial ports on it, one of which is 
special and you do not want to send any commands to it as it is for 
factory use only.

> I plugged the one that came with my customer's MSA1000 directly into a
> serial port on their Alpha ES40, and it worked fine.  The HP guys setting
> it up also used it to plug into a laptop for configuring, and I think we
> had it plugged into a terminal for a while.

As I recall, it is 19200 8 bits, no stop, and no handshaking.

The DB-9 on the end of the connector is designed to be connected to a 
DTE device such as the standard serial port on any computer type.

I use to keep a loopback plug around that I could plug in a suspect 
serial port, and then see if it echoed characters back.

-John
wb8tyw@qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only
0
Reply wb8tyw (629) 7/11/2007 4:56:28 AM

IanMiller wrote:

> 
> See also MSA _UTIL V1.0
> http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/01/29/7171032
> 
Thanks for the link. This worked.

Jeff Coffield
0
Reply Jeffrey 7/13/2007 11:47:01 PM
comp.os.vms 20705 articles. 11 followers. Post

13 Replies
229 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 19


  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Apple2gs serial port to PC serial port adapter
I already have the apple printer cable with mini-din8 plug at each end. Seems like there should be a small pin adapter that would connect the mini-din8 male cable to the Dsub9 male port that is on all standard PCs. I was able to find a PS2 mouse to serial port adapter that looks very much like what I would need but the PS2 end is wrong. Having trouble locating such an adapter. bw wrote: > I already have the apple printer cable with mini-din8 plug at each end. > > Seems like there should be a small pin adapter that would connect the > mini-din8 male cable to the Dsub9 ma...

serial port on v490 and Serial port on StorEdge 3510
Just wonder how to connect V490's serial port to StorEdge 3510's serial port? as the serial port on v490 is a RJ45 connection. and the serial port on 3510 is DB9. How to connect this two together? What adapter and cable should be used? Thanks! ericson paula wrote: > Just wonder how to connect V490's serial port to StorEdge 3510's > serial port? > as the serial port on v490 is a RJ45 connection. and the serial port > on 3510 is DB9. How to connect this two together? What adapter and > cable should be used? > > Thanks! a standard rj-45 cable and the a...

Send traffic from one serial port out to another serial port
Hi, We've got a system where we need to occasionally in effect link two serial ports together on our system which is running linux. Scenario (/dev/ttyS1) <radio> --- rs232 -- [linux system] --- rs232 -- <terminal> (/dev/ttyS0) Normally the terminal talks to the linux system which sends traffic if needed to the radio. However for certain situations we need to make sure any traffic on /dev/ttyS0 is sent straight out on /dev/ttyS1 and vice-versa with no alterations etc. On a stock distribution (debian) I can't see an easy way to accomplish this short of using socat. ...

More Problems with Serial Port on Mac OS X Intel and USB Serial port Keyspan
I just received a keyspan USB serial convertor and I can now communicate with numerous devices use the terminal. However the TCL/TK applications still can not communicate with the devices. Is there some special command for communicating with a serial device properly or is just broke in TCL/TK Aqua on the mac? I used the test script from the tcl.tk web site with these results: Error in startup script: bad option "-mode": should be one of -blocking, -buffering, -buffersize, -encoding, -eofchar, or -translation while executing "fconfigure $serial -mode "57600,n,8...

Serial port programming question----no "COM1" selection in the "VISA resource name" of "VISA Configure Serial Port "
Hi , i am new to progrom with LabVIEW. Here is some question of serial port control. &nbsp; The document of "Serial Quick Reference Guide", there is a simple example of controlling of serial port, but ,in my LabVIEW, there is some different . LabVIEW can not &nbsp; find the COM1 ,so I can not select it. &nbsp; Why ? and how to solve it? &nbsp; thanks. &nbsp; BR. Your question has very little details. Which version of LV are you using? Are you seeing a list of things you don't understand? Are you seeing an empty list? If you are seeing a list of things like A...

Serial Device & No Serial Port
Is there some type of Serial To USB adapter that I could use for my graphics tablet? I want to do some animation on the road but I have the serial edition tablet and a laptop with no serial port. TIA Ballpoint Ballpoint wrote: > Is there some type of Serial To USB adapter that I could use for my > graphics tablet? I want to do some animation on the road but I have > the serial edition tablet and a laptop with no serial port. > > TIA > > Ballpoint Belkin makes a serviceable serial to USB adapter that works for *most* serial devices. From my experience with it, the o...

User Port to serial port cable?
I found a cable that has a userport connector on one end and a serial port connector on the other. Anyone know what this was used for? I would imagine it was to connect to an external modem. I used to use such a device for that. It is also good to use for linking your C64/128/Plus/4 up as a dumb-terminal to a more powerfull box. On 20 Feb 2006 20:01:09 -0800, "65coupei6" <sales@mustangindex.com> wrote: >I found a cable that has a userport connector on one end and a serial >port connector on the other. Anyone know what this was used for? are you refering to a com...

serial.dll for serial port under IDL
I am unable to get the serial.dll and its dlm to work. Can anybody show me a piece of IDL code that uses the serial.dll and dlm to read from or write to the serial port? I'd like to be able to do things like read from a GPS or a telescope (whic accepts strings printed to the serial port). As seen on this group in about 2004 the dll and the dlm has been discussed - but no use was shown. I too can use the COMM_OPEN and COMM_CLOSE calls. I can get the COMM_WRITE to report the number of characters written but there seems to be no reaction from the device written to and COMM_READ never repor...

ultra 10 serial serial port
Hello all, I have an Ultra 10 running Sol 10. It has been running headless for about 2 years, no keyboard nor monitor. A nice reliable server. It failed to boot up last night, though the power is on. I suspect it is sitting in single user mode waiting for me to fsck the disk. I conneced a monitor, and keyboard (no mouse), and go nothing. Shutdown and came up via soft-power off/power on with button. monitor flashed, but no familiar white screen. My guess is that the last time I used the thing I set the output-device=ttya or ttyb, and likely the same with input device. But I can...

Serial communication using serial compatibility VIs does not return correct bytes at Bytes at Serial Port vi
Hi! All, I am developing a application which communicates with serial device using compatibility VIs(as these VIs are for PDA). When I use "Bytes at Serial Port" to get the desired number of bytes to be read, it returns me the length of the bytes I wrote to the serial port and displays the same command(which is been written on the port using Serial Write.vi) in the Read Serial output terminal. I am using sequence to manage the flow of the serial initialization, write, bytes at serial port and serial read. I even have wait function in both serial write and serial read sequences. Any ...

Serial Port programming
I have a device that uses the dsr for communications. Basically what I am trying to do is get a count of how many pulses it sends per second. I have a script that counts the pulses, but there is something wrong. It is counting too many pulses. I think that what is happening is that it is counting one pulse many times. I know my count is wrong because I have some windows software that works, and when I compare the output of the windows software to the output of my script, the script is way off. If anyone out there could point me in the correct direction I would be very happy. It's tough to ...

fcntl, serial ports and serial signals on RS232.
Hello to all out there, I'm trying to figure out how to parse the responses from fcntl.ioctl() calls that modify the serial lines in a way that asserts that the line is now changed. For example I may want to drop RTS explicitly, and assert that the line has been dropped before returning. Here is a brief snippet of code that I've been using to do that, but not sure what to do with the returned response: def set_RTS(self, state=True): if self.fd is None: return 0 p = struct.pack('I', termios.TIOCM_RTS) if state: return fcntl.ioctl(self.fd, termi...

Serial port problems
I'm trying to get an application talking to the COM2 port on OSR5 but I'm running into some problems. mkdev serial crashes whenever I select COM2 from the list of COM ports. The application is communicating using a null modem cable. I'm able to log in via a terminal however which suggests that the port is working. The application that I'm trying to use does not need to enabled logins. I would like to set baud rate of the port but since I cannot use mkdev serial then I cannot do that. Is there a way to set the baud rate, parity and so on without using the serial manager? I...

How to use control parallel port and serial port?
Could anyone please tell me what function to use for controlling parallel port and serial port? Thanks ...

no serial port and no parrallel port how do i console to a router
My new laptop has no serial and no parralledl ports. I have been reading that there are some USB adapters but which one works well and once it is installed how do I use it. Hyperterm has no settings for a USB port. On 02/13/2007 10:00 AM, sloan949@gmail.com wrote: > My new laptop has no serial and no parralledl ports. I have been > reading that there are some USB adapters but which one works well and > once it is installed how do I use it. Hyperterm has no settings for a > USB port. Hum, Windows hyperterm? Sorry! I otherwise and most of the Linux/Unix users use minicom, t...

SERIAL FLCOSE (disconnecting gps from serial port)
Hi! Here's my problem: I have a GPS receiver connected to a serial port in my pc. With it i can extract my position, speed, heading, etc. I'm reading the gps inside a togglebutton callback and i wish to prevent the case were, by mistake someone disconnects the gps from the serial port. What i want is, inside the callback, to recognize that the gps is no longer connected to the serial port, and disconnect the serial object with the fclose function. The problem is that i can control code inside the callback, but i can?t close the serial object!!!! fclose seems to ent...

porting VIs to Linux, serial port support
hello, I have installed LabVIEW 7 Express on Mandriva Linux Porting VIs Sources works well I had some VIs under Windows using the PC Serial Port, under LabVIEW 5, using the NI serpdrv file. Until now, unable to make run the Serial Ports in the Linux Version of LabVIEW.................... any hints ? Hi trallala- &nbsp; Read the following KnowledgeBase articles and reply if they do not help resolve your problems. &nbsp; <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C9858CB0446896A786256BB800503692?OpenDocument" target="_blank">Troubleshooting Serial...

Re: Solved: SAN switch 2/8 on MSA1000
On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 12:03:18PM -0400, JF Mezei wrote: > Anton Shterenlikht wrote: > >I'm an idiot, I missed "This cable must be a straight through cable" in > >the manual. > > Note that ethernet also has the same concept of straight through versus > cross over. fortunately in this case it does not matter: "The MSA SAN Switch will automatically sense the cable configuration used (straight of cross over)." from the switch installation guide. > Worse yet, USB doesn't have that concept because it is client-server and > you cannot c...

Need help with serial port vs. RAN port
We are trying in vain to install a piece of hardware on a RAN device, IBM 128 Async IEA controller. The problem is thus.. When we connect the device to S2, the serial port directly on the host AIX machine, we are able to send write commands to the machine, and it replies with a response, it's interactive. When we plug the device to the RAN chain, and try to run the same write commands to the new tty port, we get no response. The device acts like it is not receiving the command. This is slightly strange, because we issue write commands to various PLC controller devices all the time. But ...

need to make my usb port emulate a serial port
The problem i'm having is i have a program called lemmiwinks whic connects to my car for tuning. The program only recognizes seria com ports, and the cable that plugs into my car terminates in a usb. I have heard about emulators that can make my computer regonize a us port as a serial. Having trouble finding anything though. Any hel would be much appreciate audia4tuner wrote: > > The problem i'm having is i have a program called lemmiwinks which > connects to my car for tuning. The program only recognizes serial > com ports, and the cable that plugs into my car termi...

virtual serial drive, so how is serial port settings negotiated
poking around the new adt vsdrive client I dont see how serial ports are negoiated, though I claim to be c-tarded I an really lost on how this occurs ... as I am somewhat near having a stand alone box that slaps on the back of my //c to act as a serial drive host I seem to be stumped at the basics of communication Help? On 9/24/2012 12:49 AM, Kevin wrote: > poking around the new adt vsdrive client I dont see how serial ports are negoiated, though I claim to be c-tarded I an really lost on how this occurs ... > > as I am somewhat near having a stand alone box that slaps on t...

serial
Using Matlab 6.1 on Win2k... I'm writing a simple m-file to read data coming in from the serial port. It works fine if I call the m-file once. But if I do it again, I get this error: Error while setting the BaudRate, Parity, DataBits and StopBits properties: Win32 Comm Driver: Error 995. On line 3 ==> fopen(serialObj); Here's part of the code: %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% function serData=readOffline(datapts) serialObj = SERIAL('COM2','BaudRate', 9600); fopen(serialObj); for i=1:datapts serData(i) = fread(serialObj,1); end...

COM port vs. RS 232 serial port
Hi, Is COM port just a fancy namy for RS 232 serial port? I suppose the program that connects to these is called a console in windows and a terminal in unix? Please correct me if I'm wrong. On Feb 20, 12:27=A0am, A Aitken <andre.ait...@gmail.com> wrote: > Is COM port just a fancy namy for RS 232 serial port? Yes, although many peoploe would say it's a *less* fancy name. John Savard Quadibloc wrote: > > On Feb 20, 12:27 am, A Aitken <andre.ait...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Is COM port just a fancy namy for RS 232 serial port? > > Yes, although many pe...

serial port not working, but shows 2 ports open
I am having trouble getting a connection to the serial port, this is the code + result I get from MATLAB: index 3 and 109 are open Code: clc; clear all; close all; instrfind instrhwinfo('serial') s = serial('COM1'); fopen(s) Result: Instrument Object Array Index: Type: Status: Name: 1 serial closed Serial-COM1 2 serial closed Serial-COM1 3 serial open Serial-COM1 4 serial closed Serial-COM1 5 serial closed Serial-COM1 6 serial closed Serial-COM1 ...