Itanium serial ports

I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console.
The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in
to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters
I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits,
parity & stop bits.

Any clues?

Jeff Coffield
0
Jeffrey
7/6/2007 3:58:41 PM
comp.os.vms 21296 articles. 13 followers. Post Follow

"Jeffrey H. Coffield" wrote:

> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console.
> The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in
> to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters
> I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits,
> parity & stop bits.
>
> Any clues?

Does the MSA need to see the modem control signals asserted? (DTR/DSR, CTS/RTS,
etc.)

--
David J Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/
0
djesys.no (1536)
7/6/2007 4:45:40 PM
Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console.
> The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in
> to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters
> I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits,
> parity & stop bits.
>
> Any clues?

   A short is unlikely; this sounds like something weird with the port.

   Have you confirmed TT0: is the port you expect it to be?  Have you
tried connecting into that port using a terminal and terminal emulator,
and logged in?  Half the battle with serial ports on the Integrity
involved sorting out which one was the console (as it varied, based on
several factors), and which one wasn't.  Once you have something
connected, you can SET HOST/DTE into the terminal or the emulator, and
you should see characters arriving in the terminal or emulator display
window.

   The Integrity serial connector I was using with the BD25 port on the
rx2600 was the H8575-E, and the pinout for most DECconnect adapters is
available at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/padapters.html

   I don't know that the pinout from the MSA1000 is posted anywhere, but
you can use a multimeter to probe the adapter wiring and figure that
out.  From that and from the DECconnect stuff, you can confirm the
wiring.  (An RJ45 for serial communications?  Shudder.  Never liked to
see that approach, no matter who used it.)

--
www.HoffmanLabs.com
Services for OpenVMS
<djesys.no@spam.comcast.net> wrote:

> "Jeffrey H. Coffield" wrote:
>>
>> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
>> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console.
>> The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in
>> to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters
>> I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits,
>> parity & stop bits.
>>
>> Any clues?
>
> Does the MSA need to see the modem control signals asserted? (DTR/DSR,
> CTS/RTS,
> etc.)

Are you sure the port is TTA0?  does SET HOST/SCSI work with MSA devices?

--
PL/I for OpenVMS
www.kednos.com
On 6 Jul, 18:06, "Tom Linden" <tom-rem...@kednos.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:45:40 -0700, David J Dachtera
>

> <djesys...@spam.comcast.net> wrote:
> > "Jeffrey H. Coffield" wrote:
>
> >> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
> >> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial console.
> >> The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I plug it in
> >> to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is the characters
> >> I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the baud rate, bits,
> >> parity & stop bits.
>
> >> Any clues?
>
> > Does the MSA need to see the modem control signals asserted? (DTR/DSR,
> > CTS/RTS,
> > etc.)
>
> Are you sure the port is TTA0?  does SET HOST/SCSI work with MSA devices?
>
> --
> PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com- Hide quoted text -

SET HOST/SCSI doesn't work, but there is an MSA_UTIL.EXE in SYS$ETC
which can be used to connect to the MSA from a booted VMS system.
It's a fraction more brain-dead than the MSA console itself, but only
a bit.

btw, who was it that decided that you had to use EXACT syntax on the
MSA1000 controllers?  Why forget the behaviour of things like HSZ70s?
*sigh*

0
etmsreec (419)
7/9/2007 9:18:27 AM
On Jul 9, 10:18 am, etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> On 6 Jul, 18:06, "Tom Linden" <tom-rem...@kednos.com> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:45:40 -0700, David J Dachtera
>
> > <djesys...@spam.comcast.net> wrote:

> > > Does the MSA need to see the modem control signals asserted? (DTR/DSR,
> > > CTS/RTS,
> > > etc.)
>
> > Are you sure the port is TTA0?  does SET HOST/SCSI work with MSA devices?
>
> > --
> > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com-Hide quoted text -

> SET HOST/SCSI doesn't work, but there is an MSA_UTIL.EXE in SYS$ETC
> which can be used to connect to the MSA from a booted VMS system.
> It's a fraction more brain-dead than the MSA console itself, but only
> a bit.
>
> btw, who was it that decided that you had to use EXACT syntax on the
> MSA1000 controllers?  Why forget the behaviour of things like HSZ70s?
> *sigh*

See also MSA _UTIL V1.0
http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/01/29/7171032

0
gxys (807)
7/9/2007 11:05:34 AM
IanMiller wrote:
> On Jul 9, 10:18 am, etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> On 6 Jul, 18:06, "Tom Linden" <tom-rem...@kednos.com> wrote:

>>> Are you sure the port is TTA0?  does SET HOST/SCSI work with MSA devices?
>>> --
>>> PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com-Hide quoted text -
>> SET HOST/SCSI doesn't work, but there is an MSA_UTIL.EXE in SYS$ETC
>> which can be used to connect to the MSA from a booted VMS system.
>> It's a fraction more brain-dead than the MSA console itself, but only
>> a bit.
>>
>> btw, who was it that decided that you had to use EXACT syntax on the
>> MSA1000 controllers?  Why forget the behaviour of things like HSZ70s?
>> *sigh*
>

> See also MSA _UTIL V1.0
> http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/01/29/7171032

This sounds good. I will try this but I still want to get to the bottom
of the serial cable issue. My break out box did just that and broke. Due
to my schedule the next chance I will have to try (with a new break out
box) is next Thursday.

Thanks to all who replied.

Jeff Coffield
0
Jeffrey
7/9/2007 2:25:58 PM
Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
>
>> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
>> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial
>> console. The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when I
>> plug it in to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is
>> the characters I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the
>> baud rate, bits, parity & stop bits.
>>
>> Any clues?
>

>   A short is unlikely; this sounds like something weird with the port.
>
>   Have you confirmed TT0: is the port you expect it to be?  Have you
> tried connecting into that port using a terminal and terminal emulator,
> and logged in?  Half the battle with serial ports on the Integrity
> involved sorting out which one was the console (as it varied, based on
> several factors), and which one wasn't.  Once you have something
> connected, you can SET HOST/DTE into the terminal or the emulator, and
> you should see characters arriving in the terminal or emulator display
> window.
>
>   The Integrity serial connector I was using with the BD25 port on the
> rx2600 was the H8575-E, and the pinout for most DECconnect adapters is
> available at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/padapters.html
>
>   I don't know that the pinout from the MSA1000 is posted anywhere, but
> you can use a multimeter to probe the adapter wiring and figure that
> out.  From that and from the DECconnect stuff, you can confirm the
> wiring.  (An RJ45 for serial communications?  Shudder.  Never liked to
> see that approach, no matter who used it.)

The RJ45 connector is at the MSA1000 end and it isn't actually an RJ45;
IIRC it has 10 pins!

I plugged the one that came with my customer's MSA1000 directly into a
serial port on their Alpha ES40, and it worked fine.  The HP guys setting
it up also used it to plug into a laptop for configuring, and I think we
had it plugged into a terminal for a while.

The cable wasn't really long enough, so I scooted over to the near-by
Radio Shack and got the only 9-pin extension cable they had, which was
only a 6 footer.  It worked fine, but still wasn't long enough!  We
were able to duct-tape it to the floor instead of going across an aisle
in mid-air though :-(  (Why does Radio Shack always have something very
close to what you need, but *never* exactly what you need?  A 10-foot
cable or longer we could have run under the floor and with plenty of
slack at the back of the Alpha to pull it out on its slides easily,
but they only had one 6-foot cable...)

So it worked fine on an Alpha.  Don't know if it will work on
an rx2600, but the two serial ports on the back of my rx2620
look like normal 9-pin ports, so it *ought* to work.  I did

  $ set term/perm tta0:/form/lowercase/nobroadcast/dma/noautobaud -
    /fulldup/notypeahead/line/dev=VT100/speed=19200

in sys$startup_vms.com

The speed obviously has to match.  Nobroadcast prevents the MSA
from seeing reply/all (e.g. system shutdown messages).

/Notypeahead prevents chattering, but you have to turn it off
before using the port.  So I

   $ allocate tta0:
   $ set term/type tta0:		! without the /perm
   $ set host/dte tta0:

When done, I deallocate tta0: (or just log off), and it reverts
to notypeahead.

I don't know how important the other settings are, lost in the
mists of time...

--------

More info, including DB9 pinout of the MSA1000 cable:

Anyway the cust. actually had 2 dual-controller MSA1000s, but the
reseller only shipped one cable.  Eventually they shipped the other
3, but there was only one available port on the Alpha...  (The other
was being used for a printer or something.)  But they did have a
DS90 with a bunch of spare ports (RJ45, this time, real RJ45), so
I made them some adapters (RJ45 to DB9) and they hooked up all the
MSA consoles using:

MSA1000 <RJnot45----DB9F> <DB9M-RJ45> <RJ45----RJ45> DS90

After cleaning out MicroCenter's limited supply of RJ45 to DB9M
adapters, and busting one of them, I got a bag of 10 of them from
a local electronics store, wired them up, and shipped them off to
the customer.

I had to experiment a bit to discover the correct wiring pattern,
and it was hard because I had to wire two of the DB9 pins together.

Since I didn't have either a DS90 or an MSA1000 to test with, I had
to mess around some with some stand-ins, a DS700 and a couple of modems
with DB9 to DB25 adapters.  First I checked that a PC with a standard
9-pin port could talk to the modems (or maybe I used a 9-pin serial
port on one of my Alphas, I can't remember which) and then used a
standard Cat5 patch cable to connect the DS700 to my adapter.  It
turned out the 2 modems demanded slightly different signals, but I
was able to build an adapter that worked with both!

Anyway the pinning was:

RJ45		DB9

1 Rcv Gnd----+--5 Gnd
3 Tx Gnd-----|

(Tie the two grounds together)

2 Rcv-----------2 Rcv
4 CTS-----------8 CTS
5 RTS-----------7 RTS
6 Tx------------3 Tx
7 DTR-----------4 DTR
8 DSR-----------6 DSR

                 1 DCD (No connection)
                 9 ??? (No connection)

Except for stripping pin 3 and soldering the wire to pin 1,
assembling these things was easy, just snap the pins into the
appropriate holes in the DB9 shell.

Curiously, the two different brands of RJ-DB adapters had the
exact same color code for the 8 wires on the RJ side... I
wonder if this is standardized?

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
"John Santos" <john@egh.com> wrote in message
> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
>>

>  $ set term/perm tta0:/form/lowercase/nobroadcast/dma/noautobaud -
>    /fulldup/notypeahead/line/dev=VT100/speed=19200

/dma is fairly meaningless since it applies to only very specific old
controllers.  /fulldup turns on full duplex which should already be the
default.  /notypeahead prevents the use of the typeahead buffer in terminal
driver.  /noauto turns off the logic for a unallocated terminal to detect
the terminal speed (done by hitting the return key).  /line turns on line
editing.  /lowercase prevents upcasing of input.  /form has to do with the
intepretation of form feed as linefeed (IIRC).

0
fred.nospam2 (506)
7/10/2007 12:00:29 PM
"John Santos" <john@egh.com> wrote in message
> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
>>

>>   A short is unlikely; this sounds like something weird with the port.
>>
>>   Have you confirmed TT0: is the port you expect it to be?  Have you
>> tried connecting into that port using a terminal and terminal emulator,
>> and logged in?  Half the battle with serial ports on the Integrity
>> involved sorting out which one was the console (as it varied, based on
>> several factors), and which one wasn't.  Once you have something
>> connected, you can SET HOST/DTE into the terminal or the emulator, and
>> you should see characters arriving in the terminal or emulator display
>> window.

To me it sounds like either a bad cable or lack of or multiple null modem
connections.  The Integrity serial ports work as expected except for the one
on the management processor (usually on a 3 wire pigtail) which is a
"virtual" serial port that is marginally good enough to use as a boot
console, but not suitable for use as a communication connection (which is
why we try to configure it only if it is used as the boot console serial
port).

0
fred.nospam2 (506)
7/10/2007 12:06:19 PM
In article <f6vscu$2e2$1@usenet01.boi.hp.com>, "FredK" <fred.nospam@dec.com> writes:

> "John Santos" <john@egh.com> wrote in message
>> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>>> Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
>>>

>>  $ set term/perm tta0:/form/lowercase/nobroadcast/dma/noautobaud -
>>    /fulldup/notypeahead/line/dev=VT100/speed=19200
>>

> /dma is fairly meaningless since it applies to only very specific old
> controllers.  /fulldup turns on full duplex which should already be the
> default.  /notypeahead prevents the use of the typeahead buffer in terminal
> driver.  /noauto turns off the logic for a unallocated terminal to detect
> the terminal speed (done by hitting the return key).  /line turns on line
> editing.  /lowercase prevents upcasing of input.  /form has to do with the
> intepretation of form feed as linefeed (IIRC).

/form applies on output and indicates whether the attached device is
capable of processing a form feed character properly.  With /FORM in
place, form feeds are written to the attached device "as is".  With
/NOFORM, form feeds in the output stream are replaced with an appropriate
number of line feeds.

The terminal driver tracks the current line number within the current
page so that it can produce the right number of line feeds (based
on the /PAGE setting).

Some applications may use /FORM as a hint that the attached device
is capable of processing form feeds.  For instance, I believe that the
VMS print symbiont looks at /FORM for this purpose.

/nobroadcast turns off the display of messages sent to the terminal
from OPCOM or with the use of the $BRKTHRU system service.  This
is often used for printers so that one does not see system reboot
warning messages in the middle of the accounts payable report.

An important use of /notypeahead is to prevent the terminal from being
used to log in to the system.  /notypeahead suppresses the unsolicited
input AST that would otherwise cause the job controller to start login
processing when a user presses a key on an unallocated terminal.  As
such, it is almost certainly redundant to include /noauto on a terminal
that is also set to /notypeahead.

If the terminal device is expected to provide input it is important
that it be set to /typeahead once an application has allocated
the device.  If the terminal device is not expected to provide input
(e.g. if it is a printer) then /notypeahead is not a problem.
0
briggs3 (574)
7/10/2007 1:08:18 PM
FredK wrote:

> To me it sounds like either a bad cable

I'd thought about that, though O.P. indicates the cable works elsewhere.

--
www.HoffmanLabs.com
Services for OpenVMS
John Santos wrote:
> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
>>
>>> I am setting up an OpenVMS Itanium cluster and would like to use the
>>> serial port on an RX2620 (DB9) to connect to the MSA1000 serial
>>> console. The cable supplied (RJ45 to DB9) works on a laptop but when
>>> I plug it in to the Itanium and do a SET HOST/DTE TTA0:, all I get is
>>> the characters I type echoed back to me. I have already checked the
>>> baud rate, bits, parity & stop bits.
>>>
>>> Any clues?
>>
>>   A short is unlikely; this sounds like something weird with the port.
>>
>>   Have you confirmed TT0: is the port you expect it to be?  Have you
>> tried connecting into that port using a terminal and terminal
>> emulator, and logged in?  Half the battle with serial ports on the
>> Integrity involved sorting out which one was the console (as it
>> varied, based on several factors), and which one wasn't.  Once you
>> have something connected, you can SET HOST/DTE into the terminal or
>> the emulator, and you should see characters arriving in the terminal
>> or emulator display window.
>>
>>   The Integrity serial connector I was using with the BD25 port on the
>> rx2600 was the H8575-E, and the pinout for most DECconnect adapters is
>> available at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/padapters.html
>>
>>   I don't know that the pinout from the MSA1000 is posted anywhere,
>> but you can use a multimeter to probe the adapter wiring and figure
>> that out.  From that and from the DECconnect stuff, you can confirm
>> the wiring.  (An RJ45 for serial communications?  Shudder.  Never
>> liked to see that approach, no matter who used it.)
>
> The RJ45 connector is at the MSA1000 end and it isn't actually an RJ45;
> IIRC it has 10 pins!

The MSA1000 RJ plug also has 2 serial ports on it, one of which is
special and you do not want to send any commands to it as it is for
factory use only.

> I plugged the one that came with my customer's MSA1000 directly into a
> serial port on their Alpha ES40, and it worked fine.  The HP guys setting
> it up also used it to plug into a laptop for configuring, and I think we
> had it plugged into a terminal for a while.

As I recall, it is 19200 8 bits, no stop, and no handshaking.

The DB-9 on the end of the connector is designed to be connected to a
DTE device such as the standard serial port on any computer type.

I use to keep a loopback plug around that I could plug in a suspect
serial port, and then see if it echoed characters back.

-John
wb8tyw@qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only
0
wb8tyw (629)
7/11/2007 4:56:28 AM
IanMiller wrote:

> See also MSA _UTIL V1.0
> http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/01/29/7171032

Thanks for the link. This worked.

Jeff Coffield
0
Jeffrey

InvalidClassException in serialized class problem
Hi, I hope someone can really help me. This problem has me stumped. I have class "A" that does not implement Serializable, but class "A" subclasses Serializable class "B". Therefore, when reading class "A" it should be read as a serialized class. Class "A" has one data member "private char m_operator". When I compile with JDK 1.3.1_17, the data file is read correctly. m_operator is read as a char. When I compile with JDK 1.5.0_06, the data file is read incorrectly. m_operator is tried to be read as a String; t...

Ooh, SCSI ports o' call
http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=gsmh-3c9cme ...

Linksys Port Forwarding Limitation???
I own a standard Linksys 4-port router. Between all my games, IM file transfer standards, VNC, etc., I have now come close to filling the user interface screen for port forwarding. I assumed that when I filled the page, it would allow scrolling down or maybe a button would appear saying, "More" but no such thing is happening. I then called Linksys to be told that there is no way to forward more ports and he even stated that all of their products have this limitation and recommended that I just run in DMZ mode! WHAT?! I find this totally impossible to believe. Is there a way to for...

Overview of a large Openvms/Itanium system.
I haven't seen this mentioned here yet. http://ow.ly/kHSE On Aug 20, 3:48=A0pm, "Jeffrey H. Coffield" <jeff...@digitalsynergyinc.com> wrote: > I haven't seen this mentioned here yet. > > http://ow.ly/kHSE Is that the same as the NHSBT "Pulse renewal" project keynote video. http://xdelta.blip.tv/file/2246934/ See also Availability Digest Article http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/download= s/4AA2-3357ENW.pdf Colin did a couple of other videos System performance characteristics video. http://xdelta.blip.tv/file/224713= 6/ Design of high availability sy...

"Not Getting LOS ALARM" on some of the T1E1 ports #112
Hi Guys, I am working DS26528. I am not getting proper "LOS" alarm on some of the T1E1 ports. However, when i reset LIU , i get LOF for those problematic ports. Any hints will be appreciable. regards Manish -- posted via http://forums.cabling-design.com/telecomtech/--.htm using Cabling-Design's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to comp.dcom.telecom.tech and other telecom groups ...

serial communication using modbus protocol
Hello Friends!! &nbsp; i want to make a communication of instruments based on modbus protocol with pc. we are doing it with opc server but its very complecated to make lpd &amp; scf file.....so please suggest me a simple way of doing this. Have you tried using RS 232/RS 485 or TCP/IPalong with Modbus for serial comm? ya right now we are doing it using RS 232 to RS 485 communication. for that we are using industrial automation opc server. even we have done it with visa but now we dont want to use these two ways....we want some other simple way for same RS 232 to RS 485 communication. ...

Opening Oracle ports from DMZ to internal network
Hello, I am running a Apache/Tomcat application that requires access to an internal database engine running Oracle. The plan is to put the Apache/Tomcat server in the DMZ and allow connections from this server in the DMZ to the internal Oracle database server. From the firewall administrators point of view, would this be acceptable? What additional security measures (from firewall and/or the Apache/Tomcat server and/or the application itself) would be required to make this acceptable? Thanks, Andrea ...

give actions by serial port
HI every one i wanna know if some one can help me in the code i want to give signals i/o by matlab through a serial port so pls someone helps me > i wanna know if some one can help me in the code i want to give signals i/o > by matlab through a serial port Yes, let's see..... Did you try google? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Matlab+serial+port+documentation ...

Unidentified Itanium
Hello, Does anybody know what's the stepping of Itanium processor with SPEC number QZ04? I've checked and re-checked the Itanium cartridge, this label is where usually you can read SL4LR, SL4LQ, etc. All I know is that's a 800MHz version with 4MB onboard L3 cache. Thanks. -- Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG ...

Mac Notes 6.5 Client
In earlier posts I mentioned that my Notes 6.5 Client on Mac OS 10.2.8 had been crashing on launch. Today I backed up the Data folder, made a note of my server settings, deleted Notes and did a clean install. Now it seems that the only port Notes knows about are modem, Bluetooth-Modem, and Bluetooth-PDA-Sync. No TCPIP, SPX, or LANx anywhere to be found (User Prefs > Ports). TCPIP is the one I need. Anyone have an idea how to get it back??? (Posted in the IBM Notes/Domino forum too) This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 006D7C1985256DD6_= Content...

serial communication #18
Warning: The BytesAvailableFcn is being disabled. To enable the callback property either connect to the hardware with FOPEN or set the BytesAvailableFcn property. function varargout = yo(varargin) % YO M-file for yo.fig % YO, by itself, creates a new YO or raises the existing % singleton*. % % H = YO returns the handle to a new YO or the handle to % the existing singleton*. % % YO('CALLBACK',hObject,eventData,handles,...) calls the local % function named CALLBACK in YO.M with the given input arguments. % % YO('Property','Value',...) cr...

Unbuffered Serial Port output?
Hello all: I have written a small Tk app to download a file to a microcontroller through the serial port. A special character sequence sent to the uC indicates a "download complete" and then the uC starts working. TCL's built-in serial suppor has been very handy. However, because of buffering, my Tk application displays "download complete" in a text widget much before it has been really done. I have no other indication that the uC is working other than the download has completed. I'd like the application to display this message only after the last byte has reall...

what about a competition re: porting some arcades to c64 (obviously not yet ported games)
For example I would love to see a porting of Psychic 5 from Jaleco to C64. What do you think? Have you ever played a game that you would have loved playing at home on your Commodore but it was never ported? nininin <asasa@tiscalinet.it> wrote: > For example I would love to see a porting of Psychic 5 from Jaleco to I'd love to win 1million euros :) > Have you ever played a game that you would have loved playing at home > on your Commodore but it was never ported? Raimais -- -=[]=--- iAN CooG/HokutoForce ---=[]=- Math problems? Call 1-800-10*(24+13)-(64-16)/2^14E2. ...

Errors on porting berkeley db to vxworks 6.3
I use WorkBench 2.5, VxWorks 6.3 on Windows XP sp2. There are some errors when porting berkeley db 4.5.20. There are some Tornado project files in the berkeley db source code. I use db-4.5.20\build_vxworks\BerkeleyDB22.wpj to import the project to WorkBench 2.5. Some changes are made while compling the source code. The most import change is: delete the code that invoke iosDevFind or use open instead. Reasons are showed as follows: 1) iosDevFind is a kernel api 2) shared library must be used with Real Time Process 3) Real Time Process is a user space application, can't use kernel api The...

Re: Firefox port #2
In article <4d4fb31a7djohn@cartmell.demon.co.uk>, John Cartmell <URL:mailto:john@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote: > In article <4d4fa909d4alan.calder@argonet.co.uk>, > alan.calder <alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > > In article <4d4fa64340john@cartmell.demon.co.uk>, > > John Cartmell <john@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote: > > > In article <4d4f9e1353see.sig@walkingingermany.invalid>, Russell Hafter > > > <see.sig@walkingingermany.invalid> wrote: > > > > There is nothing that you could gain from lea...

Intel redeploys Itanium engineers
The recent thread about dumping Itanium was largely based on rumours and opinions; however, this is a bit more serious http://www.eet.com/news/design/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=169500450 EE Times: Design News Intel plays catch-up in server market Mark LaPedus EE Times (08/22/2005 8:16 PM EDT) SAN JOSE, Calif. — Attempting to play catch-up with rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) on the server front, Intel Corp. is accelerating the development of several new microprocessor lines. This includes a new 64-bit Xeon platform that incorporates an integrated memory controller,...

Possible Thinkpad 760 floppy port pinout?
Thinkpad 760 External Floppy Connector 1 + 5V 2 /INDEX 3 + 5v 4 Drive Select ( 0 for A: or B:) 5 + 5v 6 DISKCH 7 NC 8 NC 9 NC 10 Motor On 11 NC 12 DIR ( Direction ) 13 NC 14 /STEP 15 GND 16 /Write Data 17 GND 18 /Write Gate 19 GND 20 /Track 0 21 GND 22 /Write Protect 23 GND 24 /Read Data 25 GND 26 /Side 1 Select (HDSEL) ...

Itanium Licensing and Hobbyist on Itanium
With some of the talk about what will (and will not) be included in the different licensing options with Itanium and the comments about it not being definitively decided yet, I had a look around on an pre 8.2 base level machine. The products in the different categories were no shock and as previous stated by hp, but looks like hobbyists won't have to load quite so many licences any more, and more importantly shows that they are committed to catering for hobbyist's from the start. Well done hp.. From the early 8.2 box... FOE Foundation OPENVMS-I64,OPENVMS-USER,DVNETEND,DW-M...

Filter Switch Port Traffic?
Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but I am going to ask anyhow (I am a novice). If I have multiple switches plugged into the switch ports on the back of a Cisco 871 router, is it possible to filter the traffic that travels between these two ports? So, all of the computers on this hypothetical network would be on the same subnet, but hosts with IP addresses from 192.168.0.50-192.168.0.100 would be accessible from the switch attached to one of the Cisco switch ports and hosts with IP addresses from 192.168.0.101-192.168.0.150 would be accessible from another switch attached to a dif...

Serial Ports
Can anybody help me out with serial ports and MATLAB? I am trying to have MATLAB send signals to a port and receive responses from these signals. thank you ...

gem tcp port?
Hi, I'm using ruby on a machine behind a severely locked down firewall where all ports are closed by default, and I only open the ones I will need. What port does gem run through please? Steve On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 04:20:04AM +0900, stevegoobermanhill@googlemail.com wrote: > Hi, > I'm using ruby on a machine behind a severely locked down firewall > where all ports are closed by default, and I only open the ones I will > need. > > What port does gem run through please? Port 80 -- Aaron Patterson http://tenderlovemaking.com/ On Apr 26, 2009, at 14:40, Aaron P...

Serial increment in child records
Hello, I am currently building a catalog for a library and I have run into a problem with one part of it. The scenario is this: Some of the items in the library are serials (such as magazines, multi- volume encyclopedias, etc.). Rather than catalog each instance of these serials separately, I have created one master record for the item (e.g. "Grolier's Encyclopedia") and then enter its constituent parts (e.g. "Vol 1: A-B, Vol. 2 C-E") into a related "serials" table. The problem that I am running into is this: I would like these child records to have an I...

port forwading problem
I have three computers: S, C, F S is a server for a database package on port 12345 C is a client F is a forwarding machine which connects to the Internet All three are running Linux with openssh v 3.9p1 F has port forwarding enabled with the following two lines in sshd_config AllowTcpForwarding yes GatewayPorts yes On C I run ssh -N -g -L 12345:S:12345 user@F When I run on C 'telnet localhost 12345' I get an error message in the window where I started the port forwarding that says 'administratively prohibited: open failed' In the logs of F I get 'sshd[8025]: error: ...

Itanium ovms 8.2 migration
Hi Guys: I need to migrate all aplications in vax vms 7.1 to Itanium ovms 8.2 (all builded in cobol). The questions are.. 1.-- Can I do it direcly .. vax - vms Itanium..? or is necesary Vax - alpha -itanium..? 2.- Some one knows what itanium licences I need for start ovms 8.2 itanium..? - ovms - vms users - tcp/ip - dvnetend -cobol 3.- some one knows what point missing me to know for this proyect..? Thanks for all your comments Edgar "ugex" <edgar_ulloa@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1113574696.425304.268200@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi Guys: > > I...

Serial's BreakInterruptFcn callback does't work
The serial BreakInterruptFcn callback does't work! Any advice will be thanks. The follwing is my code: %%----------------------------------------------- %% main function s = serial('COM1'); set(s,'BaudRate',1200,'DataBits',8); s.BreakInterruptFcn = @rscallback; %%----------------------------------------------- %% rscallback.m function rscallback(obj,event) display('ok'); %%----------------------------------------------- % I have sent the binary data to MATLAB, then, I inputs get(s) in matlab command windows,the result is below: get(s) ByteOrder = li...