MMJ cables

This post probably belongs in comp.sys.dec but that group now carries
more traffic concerning watches than DEC hardware so I'm posting here
in c.o.v.
Last weekend I rearranged my VAXes and Alpha's because I want to try
an run as many as possible at the same time. They're now all wired to
mains power and the network. The problem is connecting to the
console.
I use two pc's (old Compaq machines with DEC keyboards), each has
three additional serial cards which means that they can handle 16
systems directly. The other VAXes are daisy chained (TTA2-to-OPA0).
The Alpha's use an HP DB9-to-DB9 cable that comes with their procurve
switches and that works fine.
The VAXes are MMJ only. Most of them are VAXstations BTW (4000-60,
-90A and a VLC) configured for a serial console. The pc interfaces are
fitted with H8571-J connectors, the problem is finding MMJ cables.
I have connectors and wire but no tool to fix the connector to the
flatcable.
What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
connectors?
Hans
0
hvlems (930)
11/25/2008 9:23:03 AM
comp.os.vms 21327 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <7d79f039-00ea-4bba-bffa-bb5642869596@v4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> writes:
>What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
>connectors?

All I can see on the tool I have is:
 FOR 6 COND
 PAT PENDING
 148364-USA
 64-42508-
     JAPAN
 75209564-
    TAIWAN

Regards,
   Christoph Gartmann

P.S.: I don't need it anymore, so I am willing to give it away....
--
 Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-464   Fax: -80464
 Immunbiologie
In article <7d79f039-00ea-4bba-bffa-bb5642869596@v4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> writes:
>This post probably belongs in comp.sys.dec but that group now carries
>more traffic concerning watches than DEC hardware so I'm posting here
>in c.o.v.
>Last weekend I rearranged my VAXes and Alpha's because I want to try
>an run as many as possible at the same time. They're now all wired to
>mains power and the network. The problem is connecting to the
>console.
>I use two pc's (old Compaq machines with DEC keyboards), each has
>three additional serial cards which means that they can handle 16
>systems directly. The other VAXes are daisy chained (TTA2-to-OPA0).
>The Alpha's use an HP DB9-to-DB9 cable that comes with their procurve
>switches and that works fine.
>The VAXes are MMJ only. Most of them are VAXstations BTW (4000-60,
>-90A and a VLC) configured for a serial console. The pc interfaces are
>fitted with H8571-J connectors, the problem is finding MMJ cables.
>I have connectors and wire but no tool to fix the connector to the
>flatcable.
>What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
>connectors?
>Hans

I may have an old MMJ specific crimper here somewhere.  I purchased on
with interchangeable dies for the various modular plug configurations
as well as myriad coax and other connectors and thus, retired the old
MMJ only crimper.  If you can't find one, I may be willing to ship my
old one to you.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker      VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger.  Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
notice, disclaimer and quotations.
0
VAXman
11/25/2008 12:23:26 PM
H Vlems wrote:
> This post probably belongs in comp.sys.dec but that group now carries
> more traffic concerning watches than DEC hardware so I'm posting here
> in c.o.v.
> Last weekend I rearranged my VAXes and Alpha's because I want to try
> an run as many as possible at the same time. They're now all wired to
> mains power and the network. The problem is connecting to the
> console.
> I use two pc's (old Compaq machines with DEC keyboards), each has
> three additional serial cards which means that they can handle 16
> systems directly. The other VAXes are daisy chained (TTA2-to-OPA0).
> The Alpha's use an HP DB9-to-DB9 cable that comes with their procurve
> switches and that works fine.
> The VAXes are MMJ only. Most of them are VAXstations BTW (4000-60,
> -90A and a VLC) configured for a serial console. The pc interfaces are
> fitted with H8571-J connectors, the problem is finding MMJ cables.
> I have connectors and wire but no tool to fix the connector to the
> flatcable.
> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
> connectors?
> Hans

An AMP 2-231652-0 crimp tool.  You need to purchase the correct set(s)
of crimp dies.  You can crimp 10/100-Base-T Ethernet, MMJ, and half a
dozen other things with this tool and the proper dies.

There may be a tool that does ONLY MMJ but I've never seen one.
0
rgilbert88 (4439)
11/25/2008 3:30:46 PM
On 2008-11-25, H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> wrote:
> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
> connectors?

You might also look into what some of the folks that make their own Lego
Mindstorms NXT cables are doing. Like MMJ, the NXT cables use a modular
plug with an offset clip. However, the NXT cables have only six
conductors (I'm pretty sure MMJ cables have eight conductors, but don't
have one right in front of me at the moment).

Here's a page describing how one person modified his/her/its RJ12 crimp
tool to accommodate NXT cables:

http://www.philohome.com/crimp/crimp.htm
--
roger ivie
rivie@ridgenet.net

6

http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/dec-mmj.html
In article <slrngioa79.4e8.rivie@stench.no.domain>, Roger Ivie <rivie@ridgenet.net> writes:
>On 2008-11-25, H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> wrote:
>> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
>> connectors?
>
>You might also look into what some of the folks that make their own Lego
>Mindstorms NXT cables are doing. Like MMJ, the NXT cables use a modular
>plug with an offset clip. However, the NXT cables have only six
>conductors (I'm pretty sure MMJ cables have eight conductors, but don't
>have one right in front of me at the moment).

MMJs have 6.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker      VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger.  Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
notice, disclaimer and quotations.
0
VAXman
11/25/2008 5:15:41 PM
VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

> MMJs have 6.

Since the clip is on one side of the plug, does the fact that you are
left-handed make it harder for you to handle those plugs ? :-) :-) :-) ;-)

Did you ever request that DEC make left-handed MMJ connectors ? :-)
com>, H Vlems <hvl...@freenet.de> writes:

> >What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
> >connectors?
>
> All I can see on the tool I have is:
> =A0FOR 6 COND
> =A0PAT PENDING
> =A0148364-USA
> =A064-42508-
> =A0 =A0 =A0JAPAN
> =A075209564-
> =A0 =A0 TAIWAN
>
> Regards,
> =A0 =A0Christoph Gartmann
>
> P.S.: I don't need it anymore, so I am willing to give it away....
> --
> =A0Max-Planck-Institut fuer =A0 =A0 =A0Phone =A0 : +49-761-5108-464 =A0 F=
ax: -80464
> =A0Immunbiologie
> =A0Postfach 1169 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Internet: gartmann@immun=
bio dot mpg dot de
> =A0D-79011 =A0Freiburg, Germany
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0http://www.immunbio.mpg.de/home/menue.html

Christoph,
that's an offer I cannot refuse :-)
Can you mail me at hvlems-at-zonnet-dot-nl ?
If Freiburg is not too far away I can collect it.
Hans
0
hvlems (930)
11/25/2008 6:01:02 PM
In article <001b6fab$0$6665$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> writes:
>VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
>
>> MMJs have 6.
>
>Since the clip is on one side of the plug, does the fact that you are
>left-handed make it harder for you to handle those plugs ? :-) :-) :-) ;-)
>
>Did you ever request that DEC make left-handed MMJ connectors ? :-)

Not at all JF.  The clip is on the left.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker      VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger.  Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
notice, disclaimer and quotations.
0
VAXman
11/25/2008 6:14:47 PM
On 25 nov, 18:15, VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
> In article <slrngioa79.4e8.ri...@stench.no.domain>, Roger Ivie <ri...@rid=
genet.net> writes:
> >On 2008-11-25, H Vlems <hvl...@freenet.de> wrote:
> >> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
> >> connectors?
>
> >You might also look into what some of the folks that make their own Lego
> >Mindstorms NXT cables are doing. Like MMJ, the NXT cables use a modular
> >plug with an offset clip. However, the NXT cables have only six
> >conductors (I'm pretty sure MMJ cables have eight conductors, but don't
> >have one right in front of me at the moment).
>
> MMJs have 6.
>
> --
> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker =A0 =A0 =A0VAXman(at)TME=
SIS(dot)COM

> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional prote=
ction
> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (=
NJSC)

> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. =A0Publication of _this_ usenet article =
outside
> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copy=
right
> notice, disclaimer and quotations.

Thank you very much for the offer Brian. But Christoph is nearby so
I'll try to make a deal with him
(like buying him a beer :-).
Hans
0
hvlems (930)
11/25/2008 6:15:35 PM
In article
<34d91376-c81d-4890-95f6-32d4c7039501@x14g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>, H
Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> writes:

> Christoph,
> that's an offer I cannot refuse :-)
> Can you mail me at hvlems-at-zonnet-dot-nl ?
> If Freiburg is not too far away I can collect it.
> Hans

There are several Freiburgs in Germany.  There is a small one in
northern Germany, closer to you, but Christoph is in the far southwest
of Germany.

0
helbig (5064)
11/25/2008 6:17:43 PM
In article <gghfg7$1ri$2@online.de>,
	helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:
> In article
> <34d91376-c81d-4890-95f6-32d4c7039501@x14g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>, H
> Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> writes:
>
>> Christoph,
>> that's an offer I cannot refuse :-)
>> Can you mail me at hvlems-at-zonnet-dot-nl ?
>> If Freiburg is not too far away I can collect it.
>> Hans
>
> There are several Freiburgs in Germany.  There is a small one in
> northern Germany, closer to you, but Christoph is in the far southwest
> of Germany.

Freiburg im Breisgau.  Beautiful city.  Really nice sports club (Die
Turnerschaft).  And decent skiing, too.  Of course, for me that was
almost 40 years ago.  :-)

bill

billg999@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |
billg999 (2588)
11/25/2008 6:35:12 PM
In article <slrngioa79.4e8.rivie@stench.no.domain>,
	Roger Ivie <rivie@ridgenet.net> writes:
> On 2008-11-25, H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> wrote:
>> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
>> connectors?
>
> You might also look into what some of the folks that make their own Lego
> Mindstorms NXT cables are doing. Like MMJ, the NXT cables use a modular
> plug with an offset clip. However, the NXT cables have only six
> conductors (I'm pretty sure MMJ cables have eight conductors, but don't
> have one right in front of me at the moment).

MMJ is 6.  Do Lego's ise MMJ connectors?  Might be a good source if they
do.

bill

billg999@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |
billg999 (2588)
11/25/2008 6:36:59 PM
In article <slrngioa79.4e8.rivie@stench.no.domain>,
	Roger Ivie <rivie@ridgenet.net> writes:
> On 2008-11-25, H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> wrote:
>> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
>> connectors?
>
> You might also look into what some of the folks that make their own Lego
> Mindstorms NXT cables are doing. Like MMJ, the NXT cables use a modular
> plug with an offset clip. However, the NXT cables have only six
> conductors (I'm pretty sure MMJ cables have eight conductors, but don't
> have one right in front of me at the moment).
>
> Here's a page describing how one person modified his/her/its RJ12 crimp
> tool to accommodate NXT cables:
>
> http://www.philohome.com/crimp/crimp.htm

And I just compared them.  NXT has the tab offset to the opposite side as
MMJ.  Unbelievable!!!

bill

billg999@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |
billg999 (2588)
11/25/2008 6:41:40 PM
In article <5b554074-e940-4a8c-baf7-e0832df69c93@t11g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>, H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> writes:
>On 25 nov, 18:15, VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
>> In article <slrngioa79.4e8.ri...@stench.no.domain>, Roger Ivie <ri...@rid=
>genet.net> writes:
>>
>> >You might also look into what some of the folks that make their own Lego
>> >Mindstorms NXT cables are doing. Like MMJ, the NXT cables use a modular
>> >plug with an offset clip. However, the NXT cables have only six
>> >conductors (I'm pretty sure MMJ cables have eight conductors, but don't
>> >have one right in front of me at the moment).
>>
>> MMJs have 6.
>>
>> --
>> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker =A0 =A0 =A0VAXman(at)TME=
>SIS(dot)COM
>>
>> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional prote=
>ction
>> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (=
>NJSC)
>>
>> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. =A0Publication of _this_ usenet article =
>outside
>> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copy=
>right
>> notice, disclaimer and quotations.
>
>Thank you very much for the offer Brian. But Christoph is nearby so
>I'll try to make a deal with him
>(like buying him a beer :-).

I would have accepted the same but I'm not sure what ftp mode you'd use
to send a beer.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker      VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger.  Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
notice, disclaimer and quotations.
0
VAXman
11/25/2008 7:02:13 PM
Christoph Gartmann wrote:

(someone wrote)

>>What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
>>connectors?

> All I can see on the tool I have is:
>  FOR 6 COND
>  PAT PENDING
>  148364-USA
>  64-42508-
>      JAPAN
>  75209564-
>     TAIWAN

Is the MMJ connector the same one that is used for the smart antenna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEA-909

used for digital television?  That should make the connectors
a little more popular and easier to find.

-- glen

0
gah (12850)
11/25/2008 7:02:36 PM
In article <6p2v74F66mlkU4@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>In article <slrngioa79.4e8.rivie@stench.no.domain>,
>	Roger Ivie <rivie@ridgenet.net> writes:
>> On 2008-11-25, H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> wrote:
>>> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
>>> connectors?
>>
>> You might also look into what some of the folks that make their own Lego
>> Mindstorms NXT cables are doing. Like MMJ, the NXT cables use a modular
>> plug with an offset clip. However, the NXT cables have only six
>> conductors (I'm pretty sure MMJ cables have eight conductors, but don't
>> have one right in front of me at the moment).
>>
>> Here's a page describing how one person modified his/her/its RJ12 crimp
>> tool to accommodate NXT cables:
>>
>> http://www.philohome.com/crimp/crimp.htm
>
>And I just compared them.  NXT has the tab offset to the opposite side as
>MMJ.  Unbelievable!!!

More left-handed bias! :P

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker      VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger.  Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
notice, disclaimer and quotations.
0
VAXman
11/25/2008 7:04:34 PM
VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

> I would have accepted the same but I'm not sure what ftp mode you'd use
> to send a beer.

Instead of TYPE ASCII or TYPE BINARY, you use TYPE LIQUID , it should
work without problems, but you might lose some attributes such as
"fizzyness" (just as binary transfers may lose some VMS file attributes)

You can then SET BEER/ATTR=(type=fizzy,bubble=Co2,density=34) to restore
the attributes. (For guiness, the bubble may require a list type
argument since as I recall, it is a mixture of gases).
Hans,

I'd be happy to make some cables up for you any length you require and
ship them out in exchange for the same number of MMJ connectors
shipped back the other way.

If you want to take up the offer email me at: mark _at_ wickensonline
dot co dot uk.

Regards, Mark
0
mark525 (244)
11/25/2008 8:07:39 PM
In article <6p2ur0F66mlkU2@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>Freiburg im Breisgau.  Beautiful city.  Really nice sports club (Die
>Turnerschaft).  And decent skiing, too.  Of course, for me that was
>almost 40 years ago.  :-)

It is still the same (but a lot more tourists). That's why I am here ;-)

Regards,
   Christoph Gartmann

--
 Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-464   Fax: -80464
 Immunbiologie
 Postfach 1169                 Internet: gartmann@immunbio dot mpg dot de
 D-79011  Freiburg, Germany
gartmann3 (396)
11/25/2008 8:35:24 PM
On 25 nov, 19:17, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
> In article
> <34d91376-c81d-4890-95f6-32d4c7039...@x14g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>, H
>
> Vlems <hvl...@freenet.de> writes:
> > Christoph,
> > that's an offer I cannot refuse :-)
> > Can you mail me at hvlems-at-zonnet-dot-nl ?
> > If Freiburg is not too far away I can collect it.
> > Hans
>
> There are several Freiburgs in Germany. =A0There is a small one in
> northern Germany, closer to you, but Christoph is in the far southwest
> of Germany.

Hi Phillip, yes I figured that out based on the postal code. Freiburg
is about 350 kms away,
so it is doable in one day. A month earlier I wouldn't have hesitated
but I went to
Metz recently and the weather turned pretty bad. I like driving, but
not with snow on the road.
Too dangerous.
Hans
0
hvlems (930)
11/26/2008 8:14:59 AM
On 25 nov, 20:02, VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
> In article <5b554074-e940-4a8c-baf7-e0832df69...@t11g2000yqg.googlegroups=
..com>, H Vlems <hvl...@freenet.de> writes:

> >On 25 nov, 18:15, VAXman- =A0@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
> >> In article <slrngioa79.4e8.ri...@stench.no.domain>, Roger Ivie <ri...@=
rid=3D

> >> MMJs have 6.
>
> >> --
> >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker =3DA0 =3DA0 =3DA0VAXm=
an(at)TME=3D
> >SIS(dot)COM
>
> >> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional pr=
ote=3D
> >ction
> >> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be=
.. (=3D
> >NJSC)
>
> >> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. =3DA0Publication of _this_ usenet art=
icle =3D
> >outside
> >> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this c=
opy=3D
> >right
> >> notice, disclaimer and quotations.
>
> >Thank you very much for the offer Brian. But Christoph is nearby so
> >I'll try to make a deal with him
> >(like buying him a beer :-).
>
> I would have accepted the same but I'm not sure what ftp mode you'd use
> to send a beer.
>
> --
> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker =A0 =A0 =A0VAXman(at)TME=
SIS(dot)COM

> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional prote=
ction
> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (=
NJSC)

> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. =A0Publication of _this_ usenet article =
outside
> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copy=
right
> notice, disclaimer and quotations.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet=
 weergeven -

Can't offer you the real thing but would have sent you a postcard of
the Bavaria breweries, near to where I live.
0
hvlems (930)
11/26/2008 8:19:34 AM
Richard B. Gilbert skrev:
> H Vlems wrote:
>> This post probably belongs in comp.sys.dec but that group now carries
>> more traffic concerning watches than DEC hardware so I'm posting here
>> in c.o.v.
>> Last weekend I rearranged my VAXes and Alpha's because I want to try
>> an run as many as possible at the same time. They're now all wired to
>> mains power and the network. The problem is connecting to the
>> console.
>> I use two pc's (old Compaq machines with DEC keyboards), each has
>> three additional serial cards which means that they can handle 16
>> systems directly. The other VAXes are daisy chained (TTA2-to-OPA0).
>> The Alpha's use an HP DB9-to-DB9 cable that comes with their procurve
>> switches and that works fine.
>> The VAXes are MMJ only. Most of them are VAXstations BTW (4000-60,
>> -90A and a VLC) configured for a serial console. The pc interfaces are
>> fitted with H8571-J connectors, the problem is finding MMJ cables.
>> I have connectors and wire but no tool to fix the connector to the
>> flatcable.
>> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
>> connectors?
>> Hans
>
> An AMP 2-231652-0 crimp tool.  You need to purchase the correct set(s)
> of crimp dies.  You can crimp 10/100-Base-T Ethernet, MMJ, and half a
> dozen other things with this tool and the proper dies.
>
> There may be a tool that does ONLY MMJ but I've never seen one.

I have one.
No idea who made it. Just a bunch of numbers, but no manufacturers name on it.

	Johnny

                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books
bqt (124)
11/26/2008 10:56:05 AM
In article <19e0367c-d723-4413-85de-38253bdb4470@w35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> writes:
>{...snip...}
>
>Can't offer you the real thing but would have sent you a postcard of
>the Bavaria breweries, near to where I live.

:D

One Deutschlander COVer who I haven't seen here in close to a dog's age
was happy with some help I'd given him and he shipped me a package of 6
assorted German beers.  I wouldn't have expected you to do the same.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker      VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger.  Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
notice, disclaimer and quotations.
0
VAXman
11/26/2008 11:35:12 AM
In article <60fa9ef2-5ab0-4ccd-8a64-0b43ab4a89f3@t3g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
	H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> writes:
> On 25 nov, 19:17, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
> remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
>> In article
>> <34d91376-c81d-4890-95f6-32d4c7039...@x14g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>, H
>>
>> Vlems <hvl...@freenet.de> writes:
>> > Christoph,
>> > that's an offer I cannot refuse :-)
>> > Can you mail me at hvlems-at-zonnet-dot-nl ?
>> > If Freiburg is not too far away I can collect it.
>> > Hans
>>
>> There are several Freiburgs in Germany. �There is a small one in
>> northern Germany, closer to you, but Christoph is in the far southwest
>> of Germany.
> Hi Phillip, yes I figured that out based on the postal code. Freiburg
> is about 350 kms away,
> so it is doable in one day. A month earlier I wouldn't have hesitated
> but I went to
> Metz recently and the weather turned pretty bad. I like driving, but
> not with snow on the road.
> Too dangerous.

Would make a great day trip on the Bahn.  A ticket is probably cheaper
than the gas to drive.  But then, living there full time maybe the
scenery isn't as interesting as it was to me.

bill

billg999@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |
billg999 (2588)
11/26/2008 12:18:06 PM
In article <ggja10$cl7$2@tempo.update.uu.se>,
	Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se> writes:
> Richard B. Gilbert skrev:
>> H Vlems wrote:
>>> This post probably belongs in comp.sys.dec but that group now carries
>>> more traffic concerning watches than DEC hardware so I'm posting here
>>> in c.o.v.
>>> Last weekend I rearranged my VAXes and Alpha's because I want to try
>>> an run as many as possible at the same time. They're now all wired to
>>> mains power and the network. The problem is connecting to the
>>> console.
>>> I use two pc's (old Compaq machines with DEC keyboards), each has
>>> three additional serial cards which means that they can handle 16
>>> systems directly. The other VAXes are daisy chained (TTA2-to-OPA0).
>>> The Alpha's use an HP DB9-to-DB9 cable that comes with their procurve
>>> switches and that works fine.
>>> The VAXes are MMJ only. Most of them are VAXstations BTW (4000-60,
>>> -90A and a VLC) configured for a serial console. The pc interfaces are
>>> fitted with H8571-J connectors, the problem is finding MMJ cables.
>>> I have connectors and wire but no tool to fix the connector to the
>>> flatcable.
>>> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
>>> connectors?
>>> Hans
>>
>> An AMP 2-231652-0 crimp tool.  You need to purchase the correct set(s)
>> of crimp dies.  You can crimp 10/100-Base-T Ethernet, MMJ, and half a
>> dozen other things with this tool and the proper dies.
>>
>> There may be a tool that does ONLY MMJ but I've never seen one.
>
> I have one.
> No idea who made it. Just a bunch of numbers, but no manufacturers name on it.

Our datacenter people had a couple of them here.  They threw them
out when they stopped buying VT terminals.  I have all the terminals.
I just wish they had given me the crimpers, too.  :-(

bill

billg999@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |
billg999 (2588)
11/26/2008 12:20:02 PM
In article <00A83319.9978C607@sendspamhere.org>,
	VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
> In article <19e0367c-d723-4413-85de-38253bdb4470@w35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> writes:
>>{...snip...}
>>
>>Can't offer you the real thing but would have sent you a postcard of
>>the Bavaria breweries, near to where I live.
>
>:D
>
> One Deutschlander COVer who I haven't seen here in close to a dog's age
> was happy with some help I'd given him and he shipped me a package of 6
> assorted German beers.  I wouldn't have expected you to do the same.

I drink German beer here all the time but it's just not the same as
drinking it there while watching the Handball Championships.

bill

billg999@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |
billg999 (2588)
11/26/2008 12:35:44 PM
In article <6p4u50F6b3apU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>In article <00A83319.9978C607@sendspamhere.org>,
>	VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
>> In article <19e0367c-d723-4413-85de-38253bdb4470@w35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, H Vlems <hvlems@freenet.de> writes:
>>>{...snip...}
>>>
>>>Can't offer you the real thing but would have sent you a postcard of
>>>the Bavaria breweries, near to where I live.
>>
>>:D
>>
>> One Deutschlander COVer who I haven't seen here in close to a dog's age
>> was happy with some help I'd given him and he shipped me a package of 6
>> assorted German beers.  I wouldn't have expected you to do the same.
>
>I drink German beer here all the time but it's just not the same as
>drinking it there while watching the Handball Championships.

I saved the bottles from the assortment, I'll have to post here the
list of what he sent to me.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker      VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger.  Publication of _this_ usenet article outside
notice, disclaimer and quotations.
0
VAXman
11/26/2008 12:46:46 PM
In article <00A83323.98779CD2@sendspamhere.org>,
	VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
> In article <6p4u50F6b3apU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>>In article <00A83319.9978C607@sendspamhere.org>,
>>	VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

>>>:D
>>>
>>> One Deutschlander COVer who I haven't seen here in close to a dog's age
>>> was happy with some help I'd given him and he shipped me a package of 6
>>> assorted German beers.  I wouldn't have expected you to do the same.
>>
>>I drink German beer here all the time but it's just not the same as
>>drinking it there while watching the Handball Championships.
>
> I saved the bottles from the assortment, I'll have to post here the
> list of what he sent to me.

That would be cool.  Maybe pictures? :-)

Of course, while you can buy german beer here, you can't buy the really
good stuff.  Parkbrau! Pirmanator! :-)

bill

billg999@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |
billg999 (2588)
11/26/2008 2:46:58 PM
Don't know the part number but we purchased ours at Graybar in the USA
I think it was about $80

I can make some for you if you need some. Or go to www.graybar.com

--
David B Turner

Island Computers US Corp
PO Box 86
Tybee GA 31328

Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
Email: dturner@islandco.com
International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
Fax: 912 786 8505
Web: www.islandco.com

"H Vlems" <hvlems@freenet.de> wrote in message
> This post probably belongs in comp.sys.dec but that group now carries
> more traffic concerning watches than DEC hardware so I'm posting here
> in c.o.v.
> Last weekend I rearranged my VAXes and Alpha's because I want to try
> an run as many as possible at the same time. They're now all wired to
> mains power and the network. The problem is connecting to the
> console.
> I use two pc's (old Compaq machines with DEC keyboards), each has
> three additional serial cards which means that they can handle 16
> systems directly. The other VAXes are daisy chained (TTA2-to-OPA0).
> The Alpha's use an HP DB9-to-DB9 cable that comes with their procurve
> switches and that works fine.
> The VAXes are MMJ only. Most of them are VAXstations BTW (4000-60,
> -90A and a VLC) configured for a serial console. The pc interfaces are
> fitted with H8571-J connectors, the problem is finding MMJ cables.
> I have connectors and wire but no tool to fix the connector to the
> flatcable.
> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
> connectors?
> Hans

0
dturner4 (178)
11/26/2008 3:26:31 PM
On 26 nov, 12:35, VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
> In article <19e0367c-d723-4413-85de-38253bdb4...@w35g2000yqm.googlegroups=
..com>, H Vlems <hvl...@freenet.de> writes:

> >{...snip...}
>
> >Can't offer you the real thing but would have sent you a postcard of
> >the Bavaria breweries, near to where I live.
>
> :D
>
> One Deutschlander COVer who I haven't seen here in close to a dog's age
> was happy with some help I'd given him and he shipped me a package of 6
> assorted German beers. =A0I wouldn't have expected you to do the same.
>
> --
> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker =A0 =A0 =A0VAXman(at)TME=
SIS(dot)COM

> ... pejorative statements of opinion are entitled to constitutional prote=
ction
> no matter how extreme, vituperous, or vigorously expressed they may be. (=
NJSC)

> Copr. 2008 Brian Schenkenberger. =A0Publication of _this_ usenet article =
outside
> of usenet _must_ include its contents in its entirety including this copy=
right
> notice, disclaimer and quotations.

The sorry state the dutch beer industry is in would mean that =EFd have
sent you six different brands that all taste the same.
There's no Reinheitsgebot in the Netherlands. Just compare a German
lager and a Dutch beer...
Speaking of Belgian beers, now that is something quite different
though...
0
hvlems (930)
11/26/2008 5:58:36 PM
On Nov 25, 3:23=A0am, H Vlems <hvl...@freenet.de> wrote:
> This post probably belongs in comp.sys.dec but that group now carries
> more traffic concerning watches than DEC hardware so I'm posting here
> in c.o.v.
> Last weekend I rearranged my VAXes and Alpha's because I want to try
> an run as many as possible at the same time. They're now all wired to
> mains power and the network. The problem is connecting to the
> console.
> I use two pc's (old Compaq machines with DEC keyboards), each has
> three additional serial cards which means that they can handle 16
> systems directly. The other VAXes are daisy chained (TTA2-to-OPA0).
> The Alpha's use an HP DB9-to-DB9 cable that comes with their procurve
> switches and that works fine.
> The VAXes are MMJ only. Most of them are VAXstations BTW (4000-60,
> -90A and a VLC) configured for a serial console. The pc interfaces are
> fitted with H8571-J connectors, the problem is finding MMJ cables.
> I have connectors and wire but no tool to fix the connector to the
> flatcable.
> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
> connectors?
> Hans

Hans,

The tool you want is a 6P6C Crimp Tool. I have one, it only has the
6P6C MMJ crimp on it, plus two cable cutters.
I bought it years ago for serial console connections to VAX's and
still use the same cables with DB9 connectors
today when connecting to Alpha's and Itanium's. They are useful when
running headless systems and you want to
see the boot-up messages and have total control of the system. The
cables work over quite long distances, I have
one which must be over 20m long, and it works great.

I've searched google for "6P6C Crimp Tool" and they are still
available.

Alan Fay

0
alan_fay (21)
12/1/2008 8:13:05 PM
On Nov 25, 3:23=A0am, H Vlems <hvl...@freenet.de> wrote:
> This post probably belongs in comp.sys.dec but that group now carries
> more traffic concerning watches than DEC hardware so I'm posting here
> in c.o.v.
> Last weekend I rearranged my VAXes and Alpha's because I want to try
> an run as many as possible at the same time. They're now all wired to
> mains power and the network. The problem is connecting to the
> console.
> I have connectors and wire but no tool to fix the connector to the
> flatcable.
> What is the partno for the crimptool that accomodates the MMJ
> connectors?
> Hans

We still have to occasionally make these cables so our tools have to
stay, but I've got the following.

Yellow plastic handles with removable dies
MOD-TAP
04-301
708-24439

The vendor we've been buying from for 15+ years no longer carries any
MMJ tools though; just the plugs.  No idea on current availability.
0
jordan (1228)

Where can i get more Info on DSL /Cable Modem
Hello , Can someon help me out ,in getting enough information in comparism between xDSL and Cable modem In; 1. Security 2.Speed 3. Capability 5 Application Thanks addy addy Adewalex wrote: > Hello , > Can someon help me out ,in getting enough information in comparism > between xDSL and Cable modem > In; > 1. Security > 2.Speed > 3. Capability > 5 Application > Thanks > addy > Security. Much depends on whether you have a static or dynamic IP assignment. Some DSL setups give you a different IP each time you connect, and some Ca...

XE1541 cable question
Hi there, Got a couple of questions about the XE1541 cable 1) When the "XCTEST" program is run, should the "Clock" be "high" ? (mine stays low and won't change) 2) Any other good ways to test my computer to see if its compatible ? (done the "stick a paper clip in pins 1 and 14 and run X1541TST.EXE" test :-) 3) Anyone running an XA1541 cable on a Dell Latitude D610 laptop ? (long shot I know) 4) Any tests I can do with a multi-meter ? Thanks! Mark Hi Mark, > 1) When the "XCTEST" program is run, should the "Clock" ...

Can I convert a FastCat5e network cable into a crossover cable?
I ran a 10Base2 home network (2 computers) for several years but recently bought new network adapters and decided to switch over to 10BaseT at that time. A friend told me I could wire the PC's together directly thereby avoiding the need for a hub. However, he neglected to tell me I would need to use crossover cable, so I bought FastCat5e networking cable. I couldn't understand why my network wasn't working until I read this (or another) newsgroup yesterday and discovered I needed to use a crossover cable if I wasn't using a hub. Aggghhh! Ok, no big deal except that now I&...

MMJ cables
This post probably belongs in comp.sys.dec but that group now carries more traffic concerning watches than DEC hardware so I'm posting here in c.o.v. Last weekend I rearranged my VAXes and Alpha's because I want to try an run as many as possible at the same time. They're now all wired to mains power and the network. The problem is connecting to the console. I use two pc's (old Compaq machines with DEC keyboards), each has three additional serial cards which means that they can handle 16 systems directly. The other VAXes are daisy chained (TTA2-to-OPA0). The Alpha's use an H...

100Mb Ethernet cable waveforms etc
I've Googled but not found any helpful articles. I am aware there is a preamble to a packet but not found any further information. Can anyone point to a useful website? What is the theoretical maximum throughput with 100Mb Ethernet? Does the 100Mb include any other characters in addition to the preamble and the packet? Many thanks in advance. In sci.electronics.design Fred <fred@nowhere.com> wrote: >I've Googled but not found any helpful articles. I am aware there is a >preamble to a packet but not found any further information. Can anyone >point to a us...

DS10L SCSI Cable
Hi Group, Just picked up a cheap KZPCM-DA SCSI card to replace the crap IDE controller on my hobbyist DS10L. The DS10L works perfectly with the KZPCM-DA and a Compaq 36 Gb SCSI drive. Went to close the case and found that you need a special SCSI cable to fit the KZPCM-DA inside the DS10L case. Checked out the DS10L Technical specification and it mentions a SCSI cable 3X-BN51A-SD. Anyone know what the connector is I need to buy to allow me to close the case on my DS10L when I am using my new SCSI card and drive. Thanks Stuart We made some cables for Bob at instant whip foods We could ...

Help with ST RGB Cables
First thing, I need a few normal STE type cables to connect to RGB type montors. If anyone has any for sale/trade, do get in contact with me. Now, I have a few questions about ST type RGB cables. I am not sure if these were made but here is what I need. I need a STE type RGB cable, normal ST connection on one end, on the other end I need a round TTL RGB end. These have 8 pins. Where as a normal Lin RGB ST Cable has 6. I do have a few TTL RGB Cables with the proper Round Connection on one end, but they have a Serial type end with 8 Pins on the other end. Where any...

video cables
I've finally decided to get rid of all the spliced-together dollar store audio cables that I've been using for my A2 monitors... looking at the selection of more robust cables available, I've noticed a wide variation in pricing for cables depending on whether they are intended for composite video, audio or component video (even though all are the same brand and appear identical). Anyone know if there is really a difference or is this just marketing??? -- .._____. |[LD8]! SIMON WILLIAMS :: LUDDITE ENTERPRISES UNLIMITED | (O) | 68K MACINTOSH SERVER http://luddite.no-ip.com !__!__...

Re: DSL vs. Cable Modem? #4
Well, I'm not so sure that DSL is a cost effective alternative to DSL. I've just exhausted the 'six months of cablemodem for $29.95 per month'. So now, the cost is now a little over fifty dollars. I am looking for a way to cut costs. I looked into adding DSL to the local line here. For the DSL light (one hundred and twenty-eight kbps upstream and two hundred and fifty-six kbps downstream), they want about thirty-five per month. Considering the difference in speed, I hardly think it is competitive. I also am running Vonage. According to the Vonage folks, y...

TranswarpGS/ ZipGSX CPU cables
Is anyone in need of a CPU cable for their accelerator? I am thinking about making a couple for myself and might as well make a few extra to bring down the price. They would cost about $13 each plus shipping or 2 for $25 + shipping. Thankx, Ed gmail.com@eeastman Reverse the two halves to e-mail me. Ed Eastman wrote: > Is anyone in need of a CPU cable for their accelerator? I am thinking > about making a couple for myself and might as well make a few extra to > bring down the price. They would cost about $13 each plus shipping or 2 > for $25 + shipping. W...

cable Internet cable
I got a wireless router, so I'm trying to replace my cable Internet cable with a shorter one (about 6 feet). Anyone know if this will work? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4117994&st=Coaxial+Cable&type=product&id=1051384699030 bob@coolgroups.com wrote: > I got a wireless router, so I'm trying to replace my cable Internet > cable with a shorter one (about 6 feet). > > Anyone know if this will work? > > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4117994&st=Coaxial+Cable&type=product&id=1051384699030 That&#...

PalmIIIx to Garmin GPS 12 interface cable with power to both
Does anyone know where I can get a PalmIIIx to Garmin GPS 12 interface cable that will connect the two for data and also provide power to both from a cigarette lighter power source. I want to use the combination for extended auto and motorcycle trips without having to rely on internal batteries. One of the problems with this setup is the 8v requirement for the GPS12. I've searched google and several commercial web sites but have had no success. Cheers Howard SH schrieb: > > Does anyone know where I can get a PalmIIIx to Garmin GPS 12 interface cable > that...

Magellan 930-0080-001 USB Cable
Price:$14.99 Image: http://thediscountdatabase.info/image.php?id=B0015UKKFY Best deal: http://thediscountdatabase.info/index.php?id=B0015UKKFY USB cable connects your Magellan portable navigator and computer SIMILAR PRODUCTS: Bracketron UFM-100BL Nav-Mat GPS Friction Dash Pad:http://thediscountdatabase.info/index.php?id=B000U5TUWE Magellan 930-0073-001 Maestro Roadmate 4.3 Inch Leather Case:http://thediscountdatabase.info/index.php?id=B0015MZ02K Magellan Maestro 5310 5-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator:http://thediscountdatabase.info/index.php?id=B0014L8AYC MAGELLAN 930-...

Converting a FastCat5e network cable into a crossover cable
I tried posting this question in some other newsgroups but haven't gotten a response, so maybe someone here can help me. I ran a 10Base2 home network (2 computers) for several years but recently bought new network adapters and decided to switch over to 10BaseT at that time. A friend told me I could wire the PC's together directly thereby avoiding the need for a hub. However, he neglected to tell me I would need to use crossover cable, so I bought FastCat5e networking cable. I couldn't understand why my network wasn't working until I read this (or another) newsgrou...

does 5505 come w/ pw, cables, license
Hi, I'm wanting to buy the Cisco 5505 but, I'm not sure if these two links means the device comes w/ the power supply and cables, license, etc... I just want to put this in my home and I'm the only user. I figure w/ these two outlets, I shouldn't be getting a clone and get the real thing. At least one of these links seems to suggest that the accessories are extra (i.e. power supplies, license, etc...). At CDW ... http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/specs.aspx?EDC=1065037&cm_sp=Product-_-Specs-_-Main+Tab At Amazon ... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O0Z8GC/ref=p...

Network Cable Unplugged 21980
this is a really annoying problem. I have a VIA VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter for my network card. its onboard, not a pci. the problem is this, at random times, windows xp will flash up a message saying ''network cable unplugged'' for no reason and after a bit, it will either come back up, or I have to go manually disable and enable it. Its not a problem with the network cable, or shouldn't be. It's done it on two different cables, one I made myself, the other was bought from a store. I'm using a straight through cable to connect to a linksys router and I...

charter cable modem
Signed up for there 2mbps dl speed. Getting around 1.6 If I call will they correct the problem or give me a line of B.S. ? And this Is only my 1st day of a 30 day trial. (Not looking good so far) Anyone getting the full 2.0mbps ? Thanks.. Kevin Weaver wrote: > Signed up for there 2mbps dl speed. Getting around 1.6 > If I call will they correct the problem or give me a line of B.S. ? > And this Is only my 1st day of a 30 day trial. (Not looking good so > far) > > Anyone getting the full 2.0mbps ? > > Thanks.. Upload a large file to your ftp sto...

network cable unplugged #6
Whenever I go to www.ebay.com, something comes up that says "network cable unplugged." I have tried restarting the router/modem, disabling and enabling the network connection, downloading updates, and it still comes up whenever I go to ebay. Does anyone know of any ways to fix it? ...

Netscreen 100 console cable
Hi - We recently acquired a Netscreen 100 w/o console cable (DB9/DB25). Question is, can a standard modem or straight-thru cable be used, or are the pinouts proprietary on these? Really appreciate any help. Jon <jon@yakatus.com> wrote in message news:1150921323.884784.80490@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Hi - > > We recently acquired a Netscreen 100 w/o console cable (DB9/DB25). > Question is, can a standard modem or straight-thru cable be used, or > are the pinouts proprietary on these? Really appreciate any help. > > Jon Standard, straight through, not a ...

Need Voice, Data, Fiber Optic cabling installations and services?
We do Voice, Data, Fiber Optic cabling installations and service in Southern California. We can also do the following: PA Systems, CCTV, VOIP, Copper Backbone Extensions, Fiber T-1 Circuit Extensions, New Installations, Equipment Relocation, Network Expansion, Troubleshoot & Repair Services, Testing & Certifications, Adds, Moves & Changes. Web: http://networkcabling.us E-mail: gonzo@networkcabling.us E-mail: networkcabling.us@gmail.com E-mail: cablinggonzo@gmail.com ...

About serial communication and RS232/MMJ adapters...
I just listed a batch of RS232/MMJ adapters on eBay from DEC that I found in a drawer. DEC H8571-J 9-pin RS232 to MMJ adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181507526372 DEC H8571-J 9-pin RS232 to MMJ adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171435676738 DEC H8571-J (Rev B)9-pin RS232 to MMJ adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181507530935 DEC H8571-B (Rev D) 9-pin RS232 to MMJ adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181507532806 DEC H8575-A (Rev C01) 25-pin RS232 to MMJ adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171435687273 I thought they might be of interest to someone here... Jan-Erik. Jan-Erik...

Split Cat-5 cable
I recently set up a small network to share a cable connection between 2 computers in a house. In the room that doesn't have the router, my friend wants to be able to use his laptop as well as his pc that's hooked up to the network both on the network, as it is now he is manually plugging the line between the 2 computers. Is there some sort of splitter I can use to give each computer internet access? Thanks Theo wrote: > I recently set up a small network to share a cable connection between > 2 computers in a house. In the room that doesn't have the router, my...

FAQ: Maximizing cable modem or DSL speed #96
Q: How do I get the maximum possible DSL or cable modem speed? Should I use one of those tweaking programs? A: See the Navas Cable Modem/DSL Tuning Guide at <http://cable-dsl.navasgroup.com/>. ...

round cable vs non-round cable
performace wise, are round and not round cables equal on ultra 320 drives? ...

Need cable for Dell e172fp to SGI/HighImpact
I am still lost in those mumbo-jumbo sync stuff. I need HELP! I need someone to test it out for me before I purchase/bid a nice Dell e172fp 17" LCD (1280x1024 at 60hz/80khz according to its specs). I couldnt afford a Dell 19" LCD. This is a reposting... Instead of using existing 13w3M-13w3M cable between the SGI 19" monitor (model 20D11, granite type) and the SGI Indigo2/highImpact box, I need a working cable to connect between this SGI computer to a Dell e172fp 17" LCD, using 1280x1024 res. I think this 17" LCD has HD-15 connector input (no DVI port...