Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #4

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com>

> >    I have less primary XP1000 with a fairly fresh installation of VMS
> > V8.2 (and friends) and an ELSA GLoria Synergy card.  I haven't checked
> > its screen saver/waster operation yet, but playing with it would be less
> > bothersome than with the primary XP1000.  Should the GZ (ELSA) driver
> > have the same power-save capability as the GF (3Dlabs) driver?
>
> Completely different drivers, but I think that the GZ driver also turns off
> the appropriate signals to put the monitor to sleep.

   I'm starting to think that you're making the whole thing up.  The
secondary XP1000 (500 MHz) with the ELSA (GZ) card has a clean
installation of OPENVMS V8.2, DWMOTIF V1.5, and not a whole lot more.  I
added the node-specific changes to
SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM to match the same file
on the primary system, with these obvious results (from "SHOW LOG
DECW*"):

  "DECW$SERVER_PIXEL_DEPTH" = "24"
  "DECW$SERVER_REFRESH_RATE" = "75"

   It seems to work the same as the primary system with the 3Dlabs (GF)
card, that is, no true display sleep mode.  The display on this system
is some Dell/Sony thing with a power LED which turns yellow when it's
attached to a Mac and the Mac goes into Energy Save mode.  On the VMS
system, the screen goes dark but the LED stays green (and there's no
click from what I assume is some relay inside the thing, either).  (The
LEDs on the LK450-AA flash in an entertaining sequence, however.)

   Aside from a brief flash/click between logout and the appearance of a
new "Welcome to LOCAL:.ALP2" login window, I never see any evidence of
anything like a sleepy display mode, just a dark screen.  This is true
for a logged-in session and for the login window.  Waiting long enough
to engage the screen lock also seems to make no difference.

   Initially:

ALP2 $ type SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR.dt.sessions.current]dt.settings;1
Dtsession*AllowExp:     1
Dtsession*Interval:     600
Dtsession*ShutDownMode: 4
Dtsession*ShutDownState:        1
Dtsession*PreferBlank:  0
Dtsession*Timeout:      120

   After manual editing and a couple of login-logout and reboot
operations:

ALP2 $ type SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR.dt.sessions.current]dt.settings;
Dtsession*AllowExp:     1
Dtsession*Interval:     600
Dtsession*ShutDownMode: 4
Dtsession*ShutDownState:        1
Dtsession*PreferBlank:  1
Dtsession*Timeout:      120

   If it would be useful, I could probably find enough connectors to
create a break-out display cable and scope the wires of your choice to
see better exactly what it _is_ doing, but it's pretty clear that
whatever it is, it's not persuading any of the displays I have.

   Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

   Steven M. Schweda               (+1) 651-699-9818
   382 South Warwick Street        sms@antinode.org
   Saint Paul  MN  55105-2547
0
Reply sms (1037) 10/3/2005 5:56:01 PM

See related articles to this posting

Hmmm.  Taking a look at it, it seems that it is setup for a "light sleep"
mode.
IIRC we force VSYNC active high, and HSYNC active low - which is one
of the power saver modes.  IIRC there are several power down modes,
each takes a different amount of time to power various monitors up from.
Without actually looking closer into it, my guess is that it isn't putting
the
monitor into sleep mode - to allow faster on time.

"Steven M. Schweda" <sms@antinode.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> Dtsession*ShutDownState:        1
> Dtsession*PreferBlank:  0
> Dtsession*Timeout:      120
>
>    After manual editing and a couple of login-logout and reboot
> operations:
>
> ALP2 $ type SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR.dt.sessions.current]dt.settings;
> Dtsession*AllowExp:     1
> Dtsession*Interval:     600
> Dtsession*ShutDownMode: 4
> Dtsession*ShutDownState:        1
> Dtsession*PreferBlank:  1
> Dtsession*Timeout:      120
>
>    If it would be useful, I could probably find enough connectors to
> create a break-out display cable and scope the wires of your choice to
> see better exactly what it _is_ doing, but it's pretty clear that
> whatever it is, it's not persuading any of the displays I have.
>
>    Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

>    Steven M. Schweda               (+1) 651-699-9818

0
Reply fred.nospam (540) 10/3/2005 11:23:42 PM
comp.os.vms 20952 articles. 11 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #3
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com> > Well, you have something screwed up. Just don't know what. Wouldn't amaze me, but I didn't think I did anything very exotic. The DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM includes these: $ decw$xsize_in_pixels == "1280" $ decw$ysize_in_pixels == "1024" $ define /system /executive_mode decw$server_pixel_depth 24 and for an ELSA: $ define /system /executive_mode decw$server_refresh_rate 75 and a bunch of process quota stuff. The screen waster's residual raster does look funny -- only about 3...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #2
From: Paul Sture <paul.sture@decus.ch> > I can't say that I've seen this behaviour, but I do know that after > changing screen saver settings, unless you log off, saving the current > session, a system crash (or shutdown without logging out of DWMOTIF) > will lose the changes. Yes. It sure would be nice to have a "Save Settings" button somewhere. > Has SYSTEM logged off meanwhile, resaving the original settings? From > the date of CURRENT.DIR below (28-SEP-2005), this is a possibility. SYSTEM has logged off, in an attempt to save the cha...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1?
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com> > A co-worker is sneaking in an changing it? SYSTEM and I are the only users, and I'm SYSTEM, too. > A program is altering it? I don't know of any clever enough to do that, but I'll keep an eye open. > You > have a home session defined (and no current session - or perhaps when > you moved the system disk you screwed up file ownership protections) > and somehow it is overriding the settings? Startup says "Resume current session", but I'm not logging out, just walking away. ...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #5
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com> > Hmmm. Taking a look at it, it seems that it is setup for a "light sleep" > mode. > IIRC we force VSYNC active high, and HSYNC active low - which is one > of the power saver modes. IIRC there are several power down modes, > each takes a different amount of time to power various monitors up from. > Without actually looking closer into it, my guess is that it isn't putting > the > monitor into sleep mode - to allow faster on time. Having no handy power measuring instrument, I can't say mu...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #6
From: Mark Berryman <mark@theberrymans.com> > I care. However, I am using a Radeon 7500 and that does put the monitor > to sleep so that makes me think it is driver specific. That's an interesting datum. > > On the _actual_ original complaint, after all the fooling around, I > > haven't caught it again reverting to mystery settings. But I still have > > my eye on it. (I want to make that clear in case it's reading my > > e-mail.) > > MPlayer has some code that turns off the screensaver. Wanna bet that is > your culprit?...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #7
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com > A co-worker is sneaking in an changing it SYSTEM and I are the only users, and I'm SYSTEM, too > A program is altering it I don't know of any clever enough to do that, but I'll keep an ey open > Yo > have a home session defined (and no current session - or perhaps whe > you moved the system disk you screwed up file ownership protections > and somehow it is overriding the settings Startup says "Resume current session", but I'm not logging out, jus walking away. Does BACKUP /I...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #8
From: Paul Sture <paul.sture@decus.ch> > I can't say that I've seen this behaviour, but I do know that after > changing screen saver settings, unless you log off, saving the current > session, a system crash (or shutdown without logging out of DWMOTIF) > will lose the changes. Yes. It sure would be nice to have a "Save Settings" button somewhere. > Has SYSTEM logged off meanwhile, resaving the original settings? From > the date of CURRENT.DIR below (28-SEP-2005), this is a possibility. SYSTEM has logged off, in an attempt to save the cha...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #9
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com > Well, you have something screwed up. Just don't know what Wouldn't amaze me, but I didn't think I did anything very exotic. The DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM includes these $ decw$xsize_in_pixels == "1280 $ decw$ysize_in_pixels == "1024 $ define /system /executive_mode decw$server_pixel_depth 2 and for an ELSA $ define /system /executive_mode decw$server_refresh_rate 7 and a bunch of process quota stuff The screen waster's residual raster does look funny -- only about 3/ of normal width, with...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #10
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com > > I have less primary XP1000 with a fairly fresh installation of VM > > V8.2 (and friends) and an ELSA GLoria Synergy card. I haven't checke > > its screen saver/waster operation yet, but playing with it would be les > > bothersome than with the primary XP1000. Should the GZ (ELSA) drive > > have the same power-save capability as the GF (3Dlabs) driver > > Completely different drivers, but I think that the GZ driver also turns of > the appropriate signals to put the monitor to sleep I&...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #11
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com > Hmmm. Taking a look at it, it seems that it is setup for a "light sleep > mode > IIRC we force VSYNC active high, and HSYNC active low - which is on > of the power saver modes. IIRC there are several power down modes > each takes a different amount of time to power various monitors up from > Without actually looking closer into it, my guess is that it isn't puttin > th > monitor into sleep mode - to allow faster on time Having no handy power measuring instrument, I can't say much wit authority,...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #12
From: Mark Berryman <mark@theberrymans.com> > I care. However, I am using a Radeon 7500 and that does put the monitor > to sleep so that makes me think it is driver specific. That's an interesting datum. > > On the _actual_ original complaint, after all the fooling around, I > > haven't caught it again reverting to mystery settings. But I still have > > my eye on it. (I want to make that clear in case it's reading my > > e-mail.) > > MPlayer has some code that turns off the screensaver. Wanna bet that is > your culprit?...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #13
From: Mark Berryman <mark@theberrymans.com> > MPlayer has some code that turns off the screensaver. Wanna bet that is > your culprit? You win. In normal operation, it apparently disables and then re-enables the screen saver/waster, so it normally works just fine. However, if the user whacks the window, it apparently aborts without getting to the re-enable step, and that's what caused the trouble. As usual, everything's complicated. If it already has an exit handler, it could use one more step. If not, it could use one. Well, that was educational. -------...

Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #2
I've recently noticed that the screen saver/lock on my ("new") XP100 seems to be disabling itself from time to time. I set the times in th Style Manager - Screen dialog in the New Desktop (30 minutes and 6 minutes), and enable both. If I re-open the dialog immediately, th settings appear as I set them. Then I remain logged in for some hours. Eventually, I notice that the screen isn't saved and/or locked when i should be, and if I re-open the Screen dialog I see that it's back t Screen Saver Off, 10 minutes (grayed), Screen Lock Off, 60 minute (grayed). Am I alone, ...

Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1?
I've recently noticed that the screen saver/lock on my ("new") XP1000 seems to be disabling itself from time to time. I set the times in the Style Manager - Screen dialog in the New Desktop (30 minutes and 60 minutes), and enable both. If I re-open the dialog immediately, the settings appear as I set them. Then I remain logged in for some hours. Eventually, I notice that the screen isn't saved and/or locked when it should be, and if I re-open the Screen dialog I see that it's back to Screen Saver Off, 10 minutes (grayed), Screen Lock Off, 60 minutes (grayed). Am I...

how can i write this statement labels=[1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;]; in compress fo
How to write it in compact form to avoid repetition "shah " <shahkhn3@gmail.com> wrote in message <lodugh$8hr$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > How to write it in compact form to avoid repetition You'll find in this thread different solutions for similar question http://www.mathworks.fr/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/335814 Bruno ...

Changing (1,2,3,4,5...) to (1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5...)
Hi All, I have a column vector of numbers that I would like to extrapolate by "doubling up": e.g. turn 2 4 6 8 into: 2 2 4 4 6 6 8 8 any ideas on an easy vectorised way to do this? TIA, Rob v=repmat([2; 4; 6; 8].',2,1); v=v(:) "Robert Barrie" <askme@ifuwant.com> wrote in message <hlt7kp$rut$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi All, > > I have a column vector of numbers that I would like to extrapolate by "doubling up": > > e.g. turn > 2 > 4 > 6 > 8 > > into: > 2 > 2 > 4 > 4 > 6 > 6 > 8 >...

Newbie question; why (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4)) is ((1 2) 3 4) and not ((1 2) (3 4))
Hi, I just started to learn LISP, and stumbled in SICP upon (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4)) is evaluated to ((1 2) 3 4) I do not understand why this is not: ((1 2) (3 4)) because (cdr (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4))) is (3 4) and (car (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4))) is (1 2) Is there a logical explanation? Thank you for your patience. -- Greg Out of order, gregor <gregor@ediwo.com> writes: > Is there a logical explanation? Yes. > I just started to learn LISP, and stumbled in SICP...

[1 1 1 1 1 ;2 2 2 2 2 ;3 3 3 3 3 3;....;n n n n n]
Hi, Anybody knows how to create this matrix but without using any loops? a=[1 1 1 1 1 ;2 2 2 2 2 ;3 3 3 3 3 ;.......;n n n n n ] Thank you. Hana. Hana wrote: > Hi, > Anybody knows how to create this matrix but without using any loops? > a=[1 1 1 1 1 ;2 2 2 2 2 ;3 3 3 3 3 ;.......;n n n n n ] HELP REPMAT - Randy Hana wrote: > > > Hi, > Anybody knows how to create this matrix but without using any > loops? > a=[1 1 1 1 1 ;2 2 2 2 2 ;3 3 3 3 3 ;.......;n n n n n ] > > Thank you. > Hana. Hope this isn't homework. >> repmat([1:n]'...

compiling gcc 3.2.3 on aix 4.3.2 using gcc 3.2.1
All, I am trying to compile gcc-3.2.3 on aix-4.3.2 using a prebuilt gcc-3.2.1. I am using GNU make, native as,ar,ld. There are the errors I get. Can anyone help? thx balaji $ gmake bootstrap gmake[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/gcc-3.2.3/aix/libiberty' gmake[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/gcc-3.2.3/aix/libiberty/testsuite' gmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'. gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/gcc-3.2.3/aix/libiberty/testsuite' gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/gcc-3.2.3/aix/libiberty' gmake[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/gcc-3.2.3/aix/zlib' : gmake ; exec true "AR_...

RE: [ace-users] Re: ACE 5.4.0 won't compile after GCC upgrade (3.3.3 -> 3.4.3) #2
Hi J.T., Right... The issue is a bit odd... Here's the check I added for ACE: dnl This check was added to work around a system-supplied header dnl (/usr/include/netinet/ip.h) that won't compile with Visual Age C++ dnl unless the _NO_BITFIELDS preprocessor macro is defined. The comments dnl there recommend use of _NO_BITFIELDS (and recode where needed to allow dnl that), but we won't just turn it on. Check to see if it's needed. Note dnl that this check is related to headers but done before we really know if dnl the header is present. Thus, if the bare compile fa...

RE: [ace-users] Re: ACE 5.4.0 won't compile after GCC upgrade (3.3.3 -> 3.4.3) #2
Hi Colm, Ok, thanks for that explanation. I solved this a different way for a similar problem that showed up with Visual Age C++ on AIX 5.2... When the 5.4.5 beta comes out, please try this again and hopefully no further workarounds will be needed. Thanks, -Steve -- Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation Adding Service to Open Source Software ACE book info at http://www.riverace.com/acebooks/ > -----Original Message----- > From: Colm McHugh [mailto:cmchugh@callixa.com] > Sent: We...

Re: [tao-bugs] Increase in IFR Service footprint
Hello again, Something just occurred to me. Version 1.3.1 may have pre-dated some other changes to the IFR that would certainly explain the increase in runtime footprint you are referring to. Back in December, I changed the query dispatch mechanism in the IFR from servant locator to default servant, to optimize the performance. This new mechanism creates 30-odd servants and a POA for each at IFR startup time. This was done last December. Also, regarding the possible memory leaks - these servants and POAs have their lifetimes tied to the IFR, so any Purify checks must shut down the IFR grace...

RE: [tao-bugs] Compiling TAO1.4.4 with AIX5.2 and g++3.3.1 #2
Hi, > > I am not sure but I think I have seen this with VxWorks and > then we found > > this is a bug in the compiler. Could you try a newer > version of the GCC > > compiler. > > We don't have a newer GCC compiler at the moment, sorry. But > I will try > to convince our system administrator to install a newer. > But is this warning to take it seriously? > Nevertheless, TAO is working :-) I would advice to search on google, but what I remember we didn't take it seriously. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Leeghw...

Re: VMS VERSION
I have looked at the web site - V7.3-2 has a different interface than the V8.x documentations - at least from what I looked at. And reading the release notes does not always reveal the intent of the release -a s often mentioned by various HP staff - from sales to engineers. From what I understand ...and I speak loosley on the items with no real specifics - in other words, off the top of my head. V7.3-2 resolves (or enhances) issues with SMP, NUMA, SAN, and TCPIP on Alpha. Issues created by the GALAXY series - performance, etc. Enhancesments, standards brought about by SAN. Advancements...