Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #4

From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com>

> >    I have less primary XP1000 with a fairly fresh installation of VMS
> > V8.2 (and friends) and an ELSA GLoria Synergy card.  I haven't checked
> > its screen saver/waster operation yet, but playing with it would be less
> > bothersome than with the primary XP1000.  Should the GZ (ELSA) driver
> > have the same power-save capability as the GF (3Dlabs) driver?
>
> Completely different drivers, but I think that the GZ driver also turns off
> the appropriate signals to put the monitor to sleep.

   I'm starting to think that you're making the whole thing up.  The
secondary XP1000 (500 MHz) with the ELSA (GZ) card has a clean
installation of OPENVMS V8.2, DWMOTIF V1.5, and not a whole lot more.  I
added the node-specific changes to
SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM to match the same file
on the primary system, with these obvious results (from "SHOW LOG
DECW*"):

  "DECW$SERVER_PIXEL_DEPTH" = "24"
  "DECW$SERVER_REFRESH_RATE" = "75"

   It seems to work the same as the primary system with the 3Dlabs (GF)
card, that is, no true display sleep mode.  The display on this system
is some Dell/Sony thing with a power LED which turns yellow when it's
attached to a Mac and the Mac goes into Energy Save mode.  On the VMS
system, the screen goes dark but the LED stays green (and there's no
click from what I assume is some relay inside the thing, either).  (The
LEDs on the LK450-AA flash in an entertaining sequence, however.)

   Aside from a brief flash/click between logout and the appearance of a
new "Welcome to LOCAL:.ALP2" login window, I never see any evidence of
anything like a sleepy display mode, just a dark screen.  This is true
for a logged-in session and for the login window.  Waiting long enough
to engage the screen lock also seems to make no difference.

   Initially:

ALP2 $ type SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR.dt.sessions.current]dt.settings;1
Dtsession*AllowExp:     1
Dtsession*Interval:     600
Dtsession*ShutDownMode: 4
Dtsession*ShutDownState:        1
Dtsession*PreferBlank:  0
Dtsession*Timeout:      120

   After manual editing and a couple of login-logout and reboot
operations:

ALP2 $ type SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR.dt.sessions.current]dt.settings;
Dtsession*AllowExp:     1
Dtsession*Interval:     600
Dtsession*ShutDownMode: 4
Dtsession*ShutDownState:        1
Dtsession*PreferBlank:  1
Dtsession*Timeout:      120

   If it would be useful, I could probably find enough connectors to
create a break-out display cable and scope the wires of your choice to
see better exactly what it _is_ doing, but it's pretty clear that
whatever it is, it's not persuading any of the displays I have.

   Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

   Steven M. Schweda               (+1) 651-699-9818
   382 South Warwick Street        sms@antinode.org
   Saint Paul  MN  55105-2547
0
sms (1037)
10/3/2005 5:56:01 PM
comp.os.vms 21795 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hmmm.  Taking a look at it, it seems that it is setup for a "light sleep"
mode.
IIRC we force VSYNC active high, and HSYNC active low - which is one
of the power saver modes.  IIRC there are several power down modes,
each takes a different amount of time to power various monitors up from.
Without actually looking closer into it, my guess is that it isn't putting
the
monitor into sleep mode - to allow faster on time.

"Steven M. Schweda" <sms@antinode.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> Dtsession*ShutDownState:        1
> Dtsession*PreferBlank:  0
> Dtsession*Timeout:      120
>
>    After manual editing and a couple of login-logout and reboot
> operations:
>
> ALP2 $ type SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR.dt.sessions.current]dt.settings;
> Dtsession*AllowExp:     1
> Dtsession*Interval:     600
> Dtsession*ShutDownMode: 4
> Dtsession*ShutDownState:        1
> Dtsession*PreferBlank:  1
> Dtsession*Timeout:      120
>
>    If it would be useful, I could probably find enough connectors to
> create a break-out display cable and scope the wires of your choice to
> see better exactly what it _is_ doing, but it's pretty clear that
> whatever it is, it's not persuading any of the displays I have.
>
>    Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

>    Steven M. Schweda               (+1) 651-699-9818

0
fred.nospam (540)

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #3
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com> > Well, you have something screwed up. Just don't know what. Wouldn't amaze me, but I didn't think I did anything very exotic. The DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM includes these: $ decw$xsize_in_pixels == "1280" $ decw$ysize_in_pixels == "1024" $ define /system /executive_mode decw$server_pixel_depth 24 and for an ELSA: $ define /system /executive_mode decw$server_refresh_rate 75 and a bunch of process quota stuff. The screen waster's residual raster does look funny -- only about 3...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #2
From: Paul Sture <paul.sture@decus.ch> > I can't say that I've seen this behaviour, but I do know that after > changing screen saver settings, unless you log off, saving the current > session, a system crash (or shutdown without logging out of DWMOTIF) > will lose the changes. Yes. It sure would be nice to have a "Save Settings" button somewhere. > Has SYSTEM logged off meanwhile, resaving the original settings? From > the date of CURRENT.DIR below (28-SEP-2005), this is a possibility. SYSTEM has logged off, in an attempt to save the cha...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1?
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com> > A co-worker is sneaking in an changing it? SYSTEM and I are the only users, and I'm SYSTEM, too. > A program is altering it? I don't know of any clever enough to do that, but I'll keep an eye open. > You > have a home session defined (and no current session - or perhaps when > you moved the system disk you screwed up file ownership protections) > and somehow it is overriding the settings? Startup says "Resume current session", but I'm not logging out, just walking away. ...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #12
From: Mark Berryman <mark@theberrymans.com> > I care. However, I am using a Radeon 7500 and that does put the monitor > to sleep so that makes me think it is driver specific. That's an interesting datum. > > On the _actual_ original complaint, after all the fooling around, I > > haven't caught it again reverting to mystery settings. But I still have > > my eye on it. (I want to make that clear in case it's reading my > > e-mail.) > > MPlayer has some code that turns off the screensaver. Wanna bet that is > your culprit?...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #10
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com > > I have less primary XP1000 with a fairly fresh installation of VM > > V8.2 (and friends) and an ELSA GLoria Synergy card. I haven't checke > > its screen saver/waster operation yet, but playing with it would be les > > bothersome than with the primary XP1000. Should the GZ (ELSA) drive > > have the same power-save capability as the GF (3Dlabs) driver > > Completely different drivers, but I think that the GZ driver also turns of > the appropriate signals to put the monitor to sleep I&...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #13
From: Mark Berryman <mark@theberrymans.com> > MPlayer has some code that turns off the screensaver. Wanna bet that is > your culprit? You win. In normal operation, it apparently disables and then re-enables the screen saver/waster, so it normally works just fine. However, if the user whacks the window, it apparently aborts without getting to the re-enable step, and that's what caused the trouble. As usual, everything's complicated. If it already has an exit handler, it could use one more step. If not, it could use one. Well, that was educational. -------...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #6
From: Mark Berryman <mark@theberrymans.com> > I care. However, I am using a Radeon 7500 and that does put the monitor > to sleep so that makes me think it is driver specific. That's an interesting datum. > > On the _actual_ original complaint, after all the fooling around, I > > haven't caught it again reverting to mystery settings. But I still have > > my eye on it. (I want to make that clear in case it's reading my > > e-mail.) > > MPlayer has some code that turns off the screensaver. Wanna bet that is > your culprit?...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #8
From: Paul Sture <paul.sture@decus.ch> > I can't say that I've seen this behaviour, but I do know that after > changing screen saver settings, unless you log off, saving the current > session, a system crash (or shutdown without logging out of DWMOTIF) > will lose the changes. Yes. It sure would be nice to have a "Save Settings" button somewhere. > Has SYSTEM logged off meanwhile, resaving the original settings? From > the date of CURRENT.DIR below (28-SEP-2005), this is a possibility. SYSTEM has logged off, in an attempt to save the cha...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #5
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com> > Hmmm. Taking a look at it, it seems that it is setup for a "light sleep" > mode. > IIRC we force VSYNC active high, and HSYNC active low - which is one > of the power saver modes. IIRC there are several power down modes, > each takes a different amount of time to power various monitors up from. > Without actually looking closer into it, my guess is that it isn't putting > the > monitor into sleep mode - to allow faster on time. Having no handy power measuring instrument, I can't say much with authority, but it sure seems unlikely to me that leaving the CRT filament on, the HV on, and the sweep operating is actually saving much power. I thought that the whole idea was to let the user suffer for twenty seconds if he left the room for an hour or two. So, I'll return to my almost original question: Is there any chance of getting a serious power-save mode? (Having a user interface like a check-box (or two) in the Screen control would be nice, too, instead of having to edit a file and hope that it doesn't get overwritten while you're not looking.) On the bright side, the only cards I have are the 3Dlabs Oxygen, the ELSA GLoria, and the PBXGA, so that should lighten the workload some (as no one else seems to care). On the _actual_ original complaint, after all the fooling around, I haven't caught it again reverting to mystery settings. But I still...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #11
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com > Hmmm. Taking a look at it, it seems that it is setup for a "light sleep > mode > IIRC we force VSYNC active high, and HSYNC active low - which is on > of the power saver modes. IIRC there are several power down modes > each takes a different amount of time to power various monitors up from > Without actually looking closer into it, my guess is that it isn't puttin > th > monitor into sleep mode - to allow faster on time Having no handy power measuring instrument, I can't say much wit authority,...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #9
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com > Well, you have something screwed up. Just don't know what Wouldn't amaze me, but I didn't think I did anything very exotic. The DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM includes these $ decw$xsize_in_pixels == "1280 $ decw$ysize_in_pixels == "1024 $ define /system /executive_mode decw$server_pixel_depth 2 and for an ELSA $ define /system /executive_mode decw$server_refresh_rate 7 and a bunch of process quota stuff The screen waster's residual raster does look funny -- only about 3/ of normal width, with...

Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #7
From: "FredK" <fred.nospam@nospam.dec.com > A co-worker is sneaking in an changing it SYSTEM and I are the only users, and I'm SYSTEM, too > A program is altering it I don't know of any clever enough to do that, but I'll keep an ey open > Yo > have a home session defined (and no current session - or perhaps whe > you moved the system disk you screwed up file ownership protections > and somehow it is overriding the settings Startup says "Resume current session", but I'm not logging out, jus walking away. Does BACKUP /I...

Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #2
I've recently noticed that the screen saver/lock on my ("new") XP100 seems to be disabling itself from time to time. I set the times in th Style Manager - Screen dialog in the New Desktop (30 minutes and 6 minutes), and enable both. If I re-open the dialog immediately, th settings appear as I set them. Then I remain logged in for some hours. Eventually, I notice that the screen isn't saved and/or locked when i should be, and if I re-open the Screen dialog I see that it's back t Screen Saver Off, 10 minutes (grayed), Screen Lock Off, 60 minute (grayed). Am I alone, ...

Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1?
I've recently noticed that the screen saver/lock on my ("new") XP1000 seems to be disabling itself from time to time. I set the times in the Style Manager - Screen dialog in the New Desktop (30 minutes and 60 minutes), and enable both. If I re-open the dialog immediately, the settings appear as I set them. Then I remain logged in for some hours. Eventually, I notice that the screen isn't saved and/or locked when it should be, and if I re-open the Screen dialog I see that it's back to Screen Saver Off, 10 minutes (grayed), Screen Lock Off, 60 minutes (grayed). Am I...

how can i write this statement labels=[1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;]; in compress fo
How to write it in compact form to avoid repetition "shah " <shahkhn3@gmail.com> wrote in message <lodugh$8hr$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > How to write it in compact form to avoid repetition You'll find in this thread different solutions for similar question http://www.mathworks.fr/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/335814 Bruno ...

Changing (1,2,3,4,5...) to (1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5...)
Hi All, I have a column vector of numbers that I would like to extrapolate by "doubling up": e.g. turn 2 4 6 8 into: 2 2 4 4 6 6 8 8 any ideas on an easy vectorised way to do this? TIA, Rob v=repmat([2; 4; 6; 8].',2,1); v=v(:) "Robert Barrie" <askme@ifuwant.com> wrote in message <hlt7kp$rut$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi All, > > I have a column vector of numbers that I would like to extrapolate by "doubling up": > > e.g. turn > 2 > 4 > 6 > 8 > > into: > 2 > 2 > 4 > 4 > 6 > 6 > 8 >...

Newbie question; why (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4)) is ((1 2) 3 4) and not ((1 2) (3 4))
Hi, I just started to learn LISP, and stumbled in SICP upon (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4)) is evaluated to ((1 2) 3 4) I do not understand why this is not: ((1 2) (3 4)) because (cdr (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4))) is (3 4) and (car (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4))) is (1 2) Is there a logical explanation? Thank you for your patience. -- Greg Out of order, gregor <gregor@ediwo.com> writes: > Is there a logical explanation? Yes. > I just started to learn LISP, and stumbled in SICP...

Re: [Info-Ingres] Ingres Alpha VMS Version II 2.0/0308 (axm.vms/00) on OpenVMS V7.3-2
--0-1311431955-1196269776=:17460 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Well.. firstly Ingres is most certainly supported - by Ingres Corp. www.ingres.com Second, we are running Open VMS 7.3-2 and we are running Ingres 2.6/0401 (axm.vms/00). There was a VMS patch we had to aquire and instal to run this version of Ingres, but it's documented in the install notes. Works fine for us. In our case we upgraded VMS first, as we wanted to upgrade Ingres and needed that version of VMS to support it. The version of Ingres you are running on is unsupported by Ingres Corp I believe, so you may want to consider doing the Ingres upgrade also. Rob McKenzie Phone: (905) 989-1750 Cell: (905) 715-9593 Email: rob.mckenzie@rogers.com ----- Original Message ---- From: Yehudah Edelstein <YEHUDAED@cellcom.co.il> To: info-ingres@kettleriverconsulting.com Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:35:16 AM Subject: [Info-Ingres] Ingres Alpha VMS Version II 2.0/0308 (axm.vms/00) on OpenVMS V7.3-2 Hi, We have an old Ingres system that exists for retrieval only, almost 7 years. We have Ingres Alpha VMS Version II 2.0/0308 (axm.vms/00) >From the days CA gave the support. It runs on OpenVMS V7.3-1 . The upgrade of our central storage system, requires we upgrade to OpenVMS V7.3-2. Anyone have experience with this? Can this upgrade be done with no problems? Also the storage disks will change. Who supports Ingres today? Thanks f...

Re: VMS VERSION
I have looked at the web site - V7.3-2 has a different interface than the V8.x documentations - at least from what I looked at. And reading the release notes does not always reveal the intent of the release -a s often mentioned by various HP staff - from sales to engineers. From what I understand ...and I speak loosley on the items with no real specifics - in other words, off the top of my head. V7.3-2 resolves (or enhances) issues with SMP, NUMA, SAN, and TCPIP on Alpha. Issues created by the GALAXY series - performance, etc. Enhancesments, standards brought about by SAN. Advancements...

[1 1 1 1 1 ;2 2 2 2 2 ;3 3 3 3 3 3;....;n n n n n]
Hi, Anybody knows how to create this matrix but without using any loops? a=[1 1 1 1 1 ;2 2 2 2 2 ;3 3 3 3 3 ;.......;n n n n n ] Thank you. Hana. Hana wrote: > Hi, > Anybody knows how to create this matrix but without using any loops? > a=[1 1 1 1 1 ;2 2 2 2 2 ;3 3 3 3 3 ;.......;n n n n n ] HELP REPMAT - Randy Hana wrote: > > > Hi, > Anybody knows how to create this matrix but without using any > loops? > a=[1 1 1 1 1 ;2 2 2 2 2 ;3 3 3 3 3 ;.......;n n n n n ] > > Thank you. > Hana. Hope this isn't homework. >> repmat([1:n]'...

RE: VMS VERSION
> -----Original Message----- > From: VMSguy [mailto:vmsguy@comcast.net]=20 > Sent: December 13, 2006 4:06 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: VMS VERSION - V7.3-2, V8.2, V8.3 difference >=20 > Anyone care to comment on the major differences between the three=20 > versions of VMS for Alpha - V7.3-2, V8.2, V8.3 ? >=20 > I am planning an upgrade to V8.3 however management wants to=20 > stay at V7.3-2 >=20 > Thanks! >=20 Coles notes version - V8.3 - general enhancements, added new functionality and bug fixes over V8.2 - better performance - more f...

Re: Building SSL support on VMS V7.3-2 #3
From: Dave Harrold <DHarrold@wi.rr.com> > > http://antinode.org/ftp/kermit/2006-02-25/ > > ftp://antinode.org/kermit/2006-02-25/ > thanks for this. I only did very basic testing of the new ftp client > and that seems to work O.K. Not very extensive testing, admittedly. Fear not. If it seemed to work at all, then it's probably perfect. I did at least two files with it, too. > Now the project that needed this has been lowered in priority, so I > probably wouldn't be doing more to test this soon. It's amazing how frequently that h...

Re: [TCPware V5.6-2,KERBEROS V2.1-72,VMS V7.3-2] TCPIP$IPC_SHR SHRIDMISMAT
At 03:10 PM 8/19/2005, Peter 'EPLAN' LANGSTOEGER wrote: >In article <6.1.2.0.2.20050819133657.023ebc48@raptor.psccos.com>, Dan >O'Reilly <dano@process.com> writes: > >Peter - > > > >At this time, you can't use Kerberos V2.1-72 on a TCPware system, so you'll > >have to regress back to the previous version (2.0-6). We're working on > >getting an ECO together to allow this, but it will be at least a week or > two, > >if not longer. > >Ok. In the meantime I found out that I already had this problem in Feb 200...

Re: Manual DST change on Alpha VMS 7.3-1 #3
"DaveG" <david.gudewicz@abbott.com> wrote on 02/14/2007 10:50:19 AM: > On Feb 13, 3:57 pm, norm.raph...@metso.com wrote: > > "DaveG" <david.gudew...@abbott.com> wrote on 02/13/2007 04:07:50 PM: > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > On Feb 13, 1:29 pm, norm.raph...@metso.com wrote: > > > > The "instructions" for OpenVMS V7.3-1 say: > > > > > > STEPS > > > > 1. Copy your US_EASTERN. file from the patch directory and place into > > the > > >...

Web resources about - Re: Auto-disabling screen saver on Alpha VMS V7.3-2, DWMOTIF V1.3-1? #4 - comp.os.vms

Ask iLounge: Disabling the auto-correction voice feature
Q: How do you turn off the voice part of the auto-correction feature? Every time I type in anything on my iPhone such as texts and appointments ...

Disabling Google auto updates
Did you know that Google applications automatically update themselves? Where some find convenience, others are concerned. Chris Breen shows you ...

Disabling Video Auto-Play
I have been complaining forever about news sites that auto-play their annoying videos when you click on an article. The problem has become more ...

Hulu Is Disabling Facebook Auto-Sharing
Hulu has decided to stop its users from oversharing. The Internet TV site will soon no longer allow users to automatically feed their viewing ...