Re: How many files can you have in a VMS directory without performance problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? perfo #2

On 8/17/05, Mark Berryman <mark@theberrymans.com> wrote:
> Steven M. Schweda wrote:
> >    First, does anyone know why Info-VAX goes nuts on subjects from time
> > to time?  (Or is the trouble elsewhere?)
>=20
> Elsewhere.  Info-VAX does not rewrite the subject.
>=20
> Mark Berryman
> Info-VAX admin
>=20

I thought it was reacting to poster sanity bugchecks.

: ^ )

WWWebb

--=20
NOTE: This email address is only used for noncommerical VMS-related
correspondence.
All unsolicited commercial email will be deemed to be a request for
services pursuant to the terms and conditions located at
http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/e/webbww/
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

How many files can you have in a VMS directory without performance problems?
Hi Everytime I ask HP about "How many files can you have in a VMS directory without performance problems?" they send me an article that is about 10-15 years old for VMS 5.2 or even 1.0, that describes that more than 300 files in a catalog is bad... I have a feeling that <25.000 files works ok (no major complains), but when we reach 100.000 files it gets bad - and with 500.000 it gets really nasty :) Does anyone know the real numbers? Or how I can calculate them? Its for VMS 7.x + EVA SAN, and is mainly for file creation. Thanks I have noticed on our VMS boxes that perfom...

Problems problems....
I've got Fujitsu MAN3184MP and Adaptec 29160 scsi card. Sometimes i have this message "A disk read error occured" , sometimes even bios does not recognize it, sometimes it does but the boot sequence does not start it seems that motherboard bios has problems with it ( so it seems to me, i could be wrong about that assumption) . Then i reset and it all works perfectly. I've noticed a speed degradation in Win XP lately. I'm angry :)) I have LVD/SE terminator, and i think 68pin cable ( not sure about that ). Hope i gave you enough info to try and help. Thanx! -- ----------------------------------- Makni #### iz adrese Seems obvious that the drive is going belly up. You could download the manufacture's utility disk and confirm it. I think time would more wisely be spent backing up your data before you can't read it at all. DaveL "biBU" <idolovcak####@inet.hr> wrote in message news:cuslus$ljq$1@fegnews.vip.hr... > I've got Fujitsu MAN3184MP and Adaptec 29160 scsi card. > > Sometimes i have this message "A disk read error occured" , sometimes even > bios does not recognize it, sometimes it does but the boot sequence does > not start it seems that motherboard bios has problems with it ( so it > seems to me, i could be wrong about that assumption) . Then i reset and it > all works perfectly. I've noticed a speed degradation in Win XP lately. > I'm angry :)) > > ...

CUPS problem? or network problem? or printer problem?
Trying to configure CUPS to print to an HP LaserJet 5si over the network. Here is the relevant error_log stuff: I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Job 14 queued on 'ptr' by 'wm'. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops (PID 12120) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 1 2121) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (P ID 12122) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoprint er (PID 1...

Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)
Hi all, I have a Dual Core P4, which dmesg reports as (CPU0 and) CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 5 CPU 2.66GHz stepping 07 Unfortunately, it is also reporting CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled I went through the BIOS (AMI dated 2005) and saw no option to enable HT. uname -a reports Linux hwa3 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux so clearly the BIOS and the kernel see the processor as dual core. Is there a utility to do this (enable hyperthreading)? Am I going to have to recompile the kernel? Is there a set of Intel dual core CPU's which does not have H...

Problem: Corrupted 3D style graphics + associated performance impact (and colours problem)...
Please can anyone shed any light on, and help resolve this very serious problem... &nbsp; Some time ago, at our company,&nbsp;we had noticed that some PC machines were exhibiting corrupted front panel object graphics in LabVIEW - shading appears speckled/mottled, and moving windows around leaves trails of lines from overlaying windows, and from objects being moved over other object whilst editing the front panel. &nbsp; Close examination shows that the corrupted graphics only affect the "3D effect" front panel objects that were introduced back at LV 6i - I've attached...

Performance Problems
Hi, I'm a DB2 new user, and I'm very concerned about SQL performance using DB2 UDB. I tried Visual Explain Tool, but I didn't find a good article about Cost Time (timerons). - Visual Explain set a Cost Time, but what does it means ? - Is a SQL query with a Cost Time of 300 timerons good or not ? - Which is the Cost Time (timerons) range ? 1 to 1.000 or 1 to 10.000 ? - Which is a poor, medium and good grade - Cost Time (timerons)? (Example: 1 to 400 is good, 500 to 700 is medium and > 700 is poor) ???? Who can explain or indicate a good documentatio...

performance problems
We have performance problems with a complex system. We use a compaq proliant double-processor with a Raid-5 System and Win2000 as database server, 3 Citrix-server and about 90 clients. The problem is a little bit curious. We have some days without problems and than some days we have performance problems between 20 minutes and sometimes the hole day is bad. We cannot determine any simular situation. The only point is that it looks like the applications are waiting for response of the database-server. But when we looking to the database server we cannot see more as 30 % of used memory and 30% productivity of the main.processors. Some ideas are welcome On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:26:09 +0200, "Georg Walk" <Georg.Walk@cai.de> wrote: >We have performance problems with a complex system. We use a compaq proliant >double-processor with a Raid-5 System and Win2000 as database server, 3 >Citrix-server and about 90 clients. The problem is a little bit curious. We >have some days without problems and than some days we have performance >problems between 20 minutes and sometimes the hole day is bad. >We cannot determine any simular situation. The only point is that it looks >like the applications are waiting for response of the database-server. But >when we looking to the database server we cannot see more as 30 % of used >memory and 30% productivity of the main.processors. > >Some ideas are welcome > Hire ...

Performance Problems
Hi and thanks to anyone who answers. I have two tables that I need to join. Package and Audit_Trail. Package has ~300,000 rows and Audit_Trail > 8 million. In Package there is a field CaseRef. It is a VarChar2 and has the form xx-xxx ie 34-145 or 67-12345 etc etc. In Audit_Trail there are two fields. Proc and Num. You guessed it - they are both Numbers and form the two parts of the CaseRef in Package. I need to join them in the fastest way possible as I am dealing with rather large tables. Both fields in Audit_Trail are indexed (not unique). CaseRef in Package is primary key. I ...

Performance problem
I am making a display list of 17 triangles and then call this list in my OnPaint event handler, the problem is that drawing is too slow, when I try to rotate, pan or zoom its painfully slow. Can anyone tell what could be the problem. Adrian wrote: > I am making a display list of 17 triangles and then call this list in > my OnPaint event handler, the problem is that drawing is too slow, when > I try to rotate, pan or zoom its painfully slow. Can anyone tell what > could be the problem. > How fast does it draw without display lists? -- <\___/> / O O \ \_____/ FTB. ...

Performance problem
hello, We are moving one of the user from one database ( database A) to another database (database B) Both are cost based and query executed against the db A comes back in 10 seconds (its a big query), but it takes about 2 minutes+ in the db B. Server configuration are same ( db A's server and db B's server) and all the parameter set up for db A and db B are exactly same. Currently user count on each server is also very minimum. Explain plan for the query is same for both the dbs. so what are we missing? why so much difference in the performance? Shankar wrote: > hello, > W...

Performance Problem
Hello, we have a performance problem with UDB 8.x. When I start the cotrol center and I select the database and then I select Table, I became the login Window, I write UID and PWD, finaly the system run and run and run ... 15-30 minutes later I see the tables on the display. Is the DB2 UDB in sleep-modus? Ingo <ingo-christian.kollesch@atosorigin.com> wrote in message news:1133185238.401372.122340@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > we have a performance problem with UDB 8.x. > When I start the cotrol center and I select the database and then I > sele...

Performance problem.
Dear Experts, I have a performance problem at two Oracle 9.2 servers. There is a simple SQL update statement (see the attachment) which needs 6 seconds at one server and 30 minutes at another. In both cases the index range scan is used. Statistics on the tables and the indexes is calculated daily. These SQL updates are executed at the same time each morning. Tests done during different time gave the same time consuming. The volumes of data are the same on both servers. Obviously there are some differences in the configuration of these servers. What Oracle parameters / settings you can recom...

Problems with performance
I'm writing a FDTD code (electromagnetic simulation) and I'm having some tr= oubles with the performance of the code. We have two versions. The first one runs just the calculus (version1). The = second one is the whole application (GUI version, using wxWidgets), with th= e same calculus routine (version2). The problem is that version2 runs almos= t twice slower than version1, and I can't understand why. The FDTD calculation is a lot of loops (one loop in time and three in x, y = and z direction). So I removed all of them but one and tried "Very Sleepy" = to profile the code. It shows me that the exactly piece of code runs with v= ery different speed in the two versions, reproduced below (variable with []= are of type TNT::Array3D - http://math.nist.gov/tnt/overview.html) Here are the results, compiled with g++: Version1: 0.15s void FdtdSolver::CalculateDx() { int i, j, k; double curl_h; // Calculate the Dx field for(i =3D 1; i < ia; i++) { 0.01s for(j =3D 1; j < Ny; j++) { 0.06s for(k =3D 1; k < Nz; k++) { curl_h =3D cay[j]*(Hz[i][j][k] - Hz[i][j-1][k]) - 0.38s caz[k]*(Hy[i][j][k] - Hy[i][j][k-1]); 0.10s idxl[i][j][k] =3D idxl[i][j][k] + curl_h; Dx[i][j][k] =3D gj3[j]*gk3[k]*Dx[i][j][k] + 0.29s gj2[j]*gk2[k]*(curl_h + gi1[i]*idxl[i][j][k]); } } } // Other loops with the same behavior... } Version2: 0.01s void FDTDEngine::CalculateDx() { in...

A problem with performance
Hi all, I have an application that requires the drawing of lines and arcs of varying widths. Because arcs are displayed as a bunch of tiny lines, we end up with a bunch of vertices. For instance, a medium-sized model might contain between 1 and 2 million vertices. This one model can be displayed in up to 15 different viewports (1-D, 2-D, and 3-D). For medium-sized models, if I display several viewports, everything is fine, as long as I am not displaying a 3-D viewport. If I display, say, 6 viewports, and one is a 3-D viewport, the system grinds to a halt while trying to display the 3-D v...

Performance problem
We are experiencing poor performance at peak activity times. There is no significant wait time. What is the best way of telling if the bottleneck is lack of memory or due to the processor not coping? Thanks Steve Stephen Eastmead <stephen.eastmeadREMOVE@btinternet.com> wrote: SE> We are experiencing poor performance at peak activity times. SE> There is no significant wait time. What is the best way of telling if the SE> bottleneck is lack of memory or due to the processor not coping? Quick-n-dirty approach with vmstat: if the run queue is, say, > 5 and the idle colum...

debugger problem and other problem
Hi all! I gave it another try to upgarde from 1.0.1 to 1.2.1 from CVS (Rev. 6469). My system: Linux Debian Lenny, kernel 2.6.24. Problems: 1. the classical debugger doesn't show the code. First I thought it could be a color problem, but it isn't. Changing the color doesn't help. You can find a screenshot at http://www.apw-wiegand.de/apwlin/debugger.png. As you can see the debugger finds the code file and shows the line number where it actually is, but doesn't show the code. In 1.0.1 the debugger was functioning. 2. I read several times in the newsgroup that others have the...

Problem with problem section
Hi, I have defined as follows: ------------------------------------------------------------------- \newtheorem{problem}{Problem}[section] --------------------------------------------------------------------------- and I use as: ----------------------------------------------------- \begin{problem} \label{ch6:p2} {\bf {Understanding {\bf XXX} assignment}} Convert the code in problem \ref{ch6:p1} to {\bf XXX} assignment. Fill the table \ref{ch6:p1t}, along with the comments. \end{problem} ------------------------------------------------------------------- What I want is all my figures and table before I start the next problem. With my definitions all my tables and figures goes to some other pages, before next problem section starts. How can I fix this? I don't have this problem in section, subsection and subsubsection. Please help On Nov 16, 1:57=A0pm, Sant <santhosh_h...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I have defined as follows: > ------------------------------------------------------------------- > \newtheorem{problem}{Problem}[section] > -------------------------------------------------------------------------= -- > > and I use as: > > ----------------------------------------------------- > \begin{problem} > \label{ch6:p2} > > {\bf {Understanding {\bf XXX} assignment}} > > Convert the code in problem \ref{ch6:p1} to {\bf XXX} assignment. > Fill the table \ref{ch6:p1t}, along with the comments. > \end{probl...

problems with running SAINT (invalid key file) problems with running SAINT (invalid key file) problems with running SAINT (invalid key file) problems with running SAINT (invalid key file)
Hello, I downloaded Free Trial version of SAINT program. I have got two computers connected via net adapter. I set their IP's to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 (Mandrake 9.0 both). These are numbers I typed when requested during downloading. Next I installed the program according to instructions present on your Website. Installation was completed successfully. Downloaded saint.key and IP numbers in the file agree with those typed. Copied it to saint-5.1.3 directory. Now, when I try to scan one of the computers following message shows up: 'Warning: Invalid Targets There was 1 invalid tar...

Re: Performance Problem
Srinivas - Your subject line looks like spam and so your post is likely to be ignored. You might repost as "SAS Performance Problem on two different machines". Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Kamireddi, Srinivas Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 7:47 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Performance Problem Hello Everyone, I am new to this Group. This is related to System Performance of SAS code on two different machines We have two systems, Configuration are server1...

Performance Problems #2
Hi and thanks to anyone who answers. I have two tables that I need to join. Package and Audit_Trail. Package has ~300,000 rows and Audit_Trail > 8 million. In Package there is a field CaseRef. It is a VarChar2 and has the form xx-xxx ie 34-145 or 67-12345 etc etc. In Audit_Trail there are two fields. Proc and Num. You guessed it - they are both Numbers and form the two parts of the CaseRef in Package. I need to join them in the fastest way possible as I am dealing with rather large tables. Both fields in Audit_Trail are indexed (not unique). CaseRef in Package is primary key. I ...

Windows 7 and Eudora 7.1: problems, problems and problems.
Hi, 3 days ago I have replaced Win XP with Windows 7 and since first day I have problem with Eudora 7.1. My problems are when Eudora downloads emails. I have 6 account, Eudora downloads 3 accunts regularly, then gets stuck on 3� account for 1 minute or more and then it goes again regularly. Therefore I have deleted the 3� account then I have done the download. Eudora downloads 3 account regularly again then it gets stuck again. Always the same problem. Then ..... I have unistalled Eudora and deleted every trace on registry then I have installed it again but now I have the same problems. Perhaps have I to replace Eudora 7 with Eudora 8? I want to cry!!!! Help me please. Thanks a lot. PS. I have replaced beacause it is important for me new mailboxes with old mailboxes and I replaced Eudora.ini. Perhaps is it my problem? AroundTheWorld <AroundTheWorld@DELETEinterfree.it> wrote in news:s4usj5p0otqo5hlr30rsbnibj2t0uh3od1@4ax.com: > Hi, 3 days ago I have replaced Win XP with Windows 7 and since first > day I have problem with Eudora 7.1. > My problems are when Eudora downloads emails. > I have 6 account, Eudora downloads 3 accunts regularly, then gets > stuck on 3� account for 1 minute or more and then it goes again > regularly. > Therefore I have deleted the 3� account then I have done the download. > Eudora downloads 3 account regularly again then it gets stuck again. > Always the same problem. > Then ..... I h...

Re: IDS Performance problem #2
Nothing you mention here specifically indicates a problem. If you know how to use dbaccess, run it and select a database. Use another session to take a look at what your backend process is doing. You will find that it is in exactly the state you describe below. This status will only change when you issue an sql command - in order to monitor it, make sure that the sql you issue takes a while to complete. You will see the thread status change to indicate that it is doing some work. Once the first set of records is returned to dbaccess you will be presented with a menu allowing you to step through the selected record set [assuming that there are enough records returned to require more than one screen]. Again if you check the status of the thread you will see that it is in 'cond wait' and will remain that way until you do something with the dbaccess session. Potentially you have a lot of client sessions that are connecting to the dbserver and spending a lot of time 'doing nothing'. About the only thing wrong with that is you are paying for user licenses that you may not require. Mark ----- Original Message ----- From: "jpp" <jean-philippe.planquart@wanadoo.fr> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 17:27 Subject: IDS Performance problem > Hi, > > I have performance problems with on IDS 9.30 on hpux. When i look > current sessions with onstat -g sql somme are always wit...

yahoo.com.au mail problems problems problems
Hello, in the last month I encountered big problems to read mail from yahoo.com.au server. There is no chance to connect to e-mail /www based server. Having logged to www.yahoo.com.au mail window doesn't open waiting for an image from au.adserver.yahoo.com server is that server dead, making reading mail completely impossible ? Ping says, that server is unreachable. What can I do to make things better as in previous months ? Ple ...

need to compute this problem having problems with how to start this problem help need urgently
Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)] of the phase-shifted sinusoid.X(t) = A*  cos(t +theta ): State also if X(t) is Wide Sense Stationary (WSS). plot 10 realisations of X(t) plotR(s-t,0)as a function of s-t "pramod kumar" <pramod.kilu@gmail.com> wrote in message <jpapso$44b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)] of the phase-shifted sinusoid.X(t) = A*  cos(t +theta ): > State also if X(t) is Wide Sense Stationary (WSS). > plot 10 realisations of X(t) > plotR(s-t,0)as a function of s-t So what have you tried? If you have not tried anything, this is a suggestion that you were not paying attention in class. Make an effort. John "pramod kumar" <pramod.kilu@gmail.com> wrote in message <jpapso$44b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)]...

Web resources about - Re: How many files can you have in a VMS directory without performance problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? perfo #2 - comp.os.vms

Matching the Person to the Job is Vital to Your Company’s Performance
... essentially drain time and money. Utilize Several Resources Most […] The post Matching the Person to the Job is Vital to Your Company’s Performance ...

Radeon Pro Duo mashes two Fury GPUs together for 16 teraflops of performance
... two of AMD's top tier Fiji GPUs (as used in the Fury X and Fury Nano) onto a single card, resulting in a claimed 16 teraflops of compute performance. ...

BetterWorks expands its business suite with performance development and strategic planning
... able to set and manage goals. BetterWorks software provides the tools to do this and the company is now expanding its offering by adding performance ...

Madonna's sad, drunk clown performance expressing her woe over losing her son Rocco to Rocco's father ...
... on stage, the report says? How do you know that isn't water? Madonna is very dramatic, but she's controlled and performing. This drunken performance ...

Performance at tough situations will determine Tyrod’s value
There is no user-friendly manual handed to a NFL general manager his first day in office. Supply is low, time is limited, one must hit the bull’s-eye ...

ARM and TSMC Announce Multi-Year Agreement to Collaborate on 7nm FinFET Process Technology for High-Performance ...
ARM and TSMC announced a multi-year agreement to collaborate on a 7nm FinFET process technology which includes a design solution for future low-power, ...

Public University Will Spend $402,249 Studying Academic Performance Of STONED COLLEGE STUDENTS
Public University Will Spend $402,249 Studying Academic Performance Of STONED COLLEGE STUDENTS

Looking Back at 'Elevate' at Take the Stage Performance Company
DC Metro Theater Arts (press release) (blog) Looking Back at 'Elevate' at Take the Stage Performance Company DC Metro Theater Arts (press release) ...

XCOM 2 patch brings balance and performance tweaks
... been. Thankfully, Firaxis is on the case and has issued a major update to combat several of these complains. The patch includes several performance ...