RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')

And you think perhaps that this does not happen?

Course, there are many ways to offer different opinions within a large
company, but keep in mind that every OS or platform within a company
will always try and say it needs more $'s to promote/enhance itself.=20

Take a big company like IBM - what do you think an AIX field person's
chances are of convincing their Mgmt to quit promoting Linux as AIX is a
better system?

Or even Sun - what would someone like Andrew's chances be to convince
his Mgmt that investing in AMD is a mistake as SPARC is the only HW
solution to focus on?

The wise man knows when to pick his battles and when to bend when he has
to.

:-)

Kerry Main
Senior Consultant
HP Services Canada
Voice: 613-592-4660
Fax: 613-591-4477
kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
(remove the DOT's and AT)=20

"OpenVMS has always had integrity ..
Now, Integrity has OpenVMS .."

1
kerry.main (1446)
10/12/2004 2:46:19 AM
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Main, Kerry" wrote:
> Course, there are many ways to offer different opinions within a large
> company, but keep in mind that every OS or platform within a company
> will always try and say it needs more $'s to promote/enhance itself.

If you go back through the archives of cov, you will find many Digits arguing
AGAINST advertising of VMS, giving all sorts of reasons.

So, one must wonder if the requests for advertising money are even made to HP
by the VMS group.

And at a time when the fear to lose one's job is permanent (has been the case
since 1992, so it is pretty much permanent, isn't it ?), I also fear that
there are few few Digits who are willing to rock the boat and tell their ever
changing management that they are making mistakes and constantlty forgetting
VMS etc etc.

Has the Ascention of Rich Marcello to a higher level given VMS another
"Renaissance" period where ther was actually some marketing ? ? ? ?  He has
probably had to learn to be politically correct and also omit mention of VMS
so as to not rock the boat. His own job security is rightly more important
than one product.

What is needed is one kakamaze manager to rampage through HP and make a lot of
noise about VMS and force change  (and this has to be done before he gets told
to leave). In fact, it needs a sacrificial lamb. This way, the jobs of
Marcello Gorham etc would not be jeoperdized.
JF Mezei wrote:

> Has the Ascention of Rich Marcello to a higher level given VMS another
> "Renaissance" period where ther was actually some marketing ? ? ? ?  He has
> probably had to learn to be politically correct and also omit mention of VMS
> so as to not rock the boat. His own job security is rightly more important
> than one product.

To him, of course it is.  To do anything, he must first survive.

> What is needed is one kakamaze manager to rampage through HP and make a lot of
> noise about VMS and force change  (and this has to be done before he gets told
> to leave). In fact, it needs a sacrificial lamb. This way, the jobs of
> Marcello Gorham etc would not be jeoperdized.

Have you been into some of boob's medication?

--
David Froble                       Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc.      Fax: 724-529-0596

0
davef3 (3716)
10/12/2004 5:10:23 PM
Main, Kerry wrote:

> Take a big company like IBM - what do you think an AIX field person's
> chances are of convincing their Mgmt to quit promoting Linux as AIX is a
> better system?
>
> Or even Sun - what would someone like Andrew's chances be to convince
> his Mgmt that investing in AMD is a mistake as SPARC is the only HW
> solution to focus on?

That would have been very unlikely since I was one of a number
of people in Sun who advocated for an early adoption of the
AMD64 platform.

Regards
Andrew Harrison
> The wise man knows when to pick his battles and when to bend when he has
> to.
>
> :-)
>
> Kerry Main
> Senior Consultant
> HP Services Canada
> Voice: 613-592-4660
> Fax: 613-591-4477
> kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
> (remove the DOT's and AT)
>
> "OpenVMS has always had integrity ..
> Now, Integrity has OpenVMS .."

0
Andrew

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 11:45 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 > OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 >=20 > "Main, Kerry" wrote: > > Course, there are many ways to offer differen...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS')
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 > Sent: October 10, 2004 2:45 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 [snip..] >=20 > These days, the CIO reads trade mags on the commuter train=20 > and sees people > moving to windows or Linux and decides that his company must=20 > be ahead of the > race and hurry to migrate to this week's trendy product. >=20 >=20 > ITS ALL ABOU...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') #2
> -----Original Message----- > From: John Smith [mailto:a@nonymous.com]=20 > Sent: October 10, 2004 6:18 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 [snip...] > How many 30'something CTO's even know what VMS is? How many=20 > of their system > architects or programmers? After the .crash era, there are likely very few CTO's left in their 30's. Those folks are more likely back in the trenches doing mid level mgmt jobs. Hey, I a...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') #4
> -----Original Message----- > From: Larry Kilgallen [mailto:Kilgallen@SpamCop.net]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 5:33 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 > In article=20 > <FD827B33AB0D9C4E92EACEEFEE2BA2FB45D86E@tayexc19.americas.cpqc > orp.net>, "Main, Kerry" <kerry.main@hp.com> writes: > >=20 > >> -----Original Message----- > >> From: Larry Kilgallen [mailto:Kilgallen@SpamCop.net]=3D20 > ...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') #3
> -----Original Message----- > From: Larry Kilgallen [mailto:Kilgallen@SpamCop.net]=20 > Sent: October 10, 2004 10:52 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 > In article=20 > <FD827B33AB0D9C4E92EACEEFEE2BA2FB45D86D@tayexc19.americas.cpqc > orp.net>, "Main, Kerry" <kerry.main@hp.com> writes: >=20 > > for that matter. However, I know of two major Customers=20 > that wanted to > > convert OpenVMS applica...

do 'os.path' include 'os' for us?
Hi, I wrote a python script to list files in a directory but somehow did it wrongly by importing os.path instead of os. To my astonishment, it works just as charm: #!/usr/bin/python import os.path for file in os.listdir('/root/'): print file I was wondering why? os.path doesn't contain listdir, why there is no complaint like 'os: unknown name'? Does this mean, instead of importing os, we can import os.path? Thanks. On Mar 27, 6:41=A0pm, Jerry Fleming <jerry.flem...@saybot.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I wrote a python script to list files in a directory but ...

3.0rc3: List of 'os.', 'os.path.' attribute redundencies ... !! ?
IDLE 3.0rc3 (using XP) >>> import os >>> os.altsep '/' >>> os.path.altsep '/' >>> os.curdir '.' >>> os.path.curdir '.' >>> os.defpath '.;C:\\bin' >>> os.path.defpath '.;C:\\bin' >>> os.devnull 'nul' >>> os.path.devnull 'nul' >>> os.pardir '..' >>> os.path.pardir '..' >>> os.pathsep ';' >>> os.path.pathsep ';' >>> os.sep '\\' >>> os.path.sep '\\...

Inconsistency between os.getgroups and os.system('groups') after os.setgroups()
Run this test program as root: import os print "before:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") os.setgroups([]) print "after:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") After the os.setgroups, os.getgroups says that the process is not in any gr= oups, just as you would expect. However the groups command run using os.sy= stem says that the process is in the root group. It appears that the new p= rocess started by os.system augments the group membership specified in the = os.setgroups command with the group of the actual user of the original proc= ess (which ...

open(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__),'../www/bin/picture.png'), 'rb')
open(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__),'../www/bin/picture.png'), 'rb') how do you do this on windows (py3) so it still works on linux ? gert schrieb: > open(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__),'../www/bin/picture.png'), > 'rb') > how do you do this on windows (py3) so it still works on linux ? os.path.join("..", "www", "bin", "picture.png") Or use os.sep. Diez Diez B. Roggisch wrote: > gert schrieb: >> open(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__),'../www/bin/picture.png'), >> &#...

sharing same 'Eudora Folder'
Hi all. I have heard that if I have both an OS 9 and an OS X installation on the same machine, the two respective Eudora apps can share the same Eudora Folder, with the same mailboxes, prefs, etc. But does this still apply if the two apps ('Classic' vs. OS X) are different versions? Right now I'm usig Eudora 4.33 on OS 8.6. I'll soon be upgrading to an OS X/OS 9 machine. I understand that on pre-OS X systems, anything post-5.1.1 (including the current betas of version 6) is so slow as to be unusable, but I assume I'll want to use the latest version on m...

Anything like 'ps' or 'top' for OS 9?
I've hunted around at MacUpdate and VersionTracker but I can't find anything for OS 9 that behaves like 'ps' (shows a list of all running processes) to 'top' (shows a list of the processes that are consuming the most CPU cycles). Is there something that fits the bill? -- A: No. See: Help, I'm <http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html> being held <http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting> in a .sig Q: Should I include quotations after my re...

'Sysbase on Unix' to 'DB2 on OS/390' Data Migration.
Hello, We are planning to convert an application with lots of Stored Procedures from Sysbase on Unix to DB2 on OS/390. We are basically looking for white papers / documentation / toolkits on such migrations. Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance -The Crab Take a look at: http://www.software.ibm.com/data/db2/migration -- Serge Rielau DB2 SQL Compiler Development IBM Toronto Lab Hello, There is some white papers on the StarQuest web site (www.starquest.com), I believe this is mostly Oracle/Unix to DB2, but I'm pretty su...

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y&qu...

Web resources about - RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') - comp.os.vms