RE: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMSsite) site)site) site)site) site)site)

-----Original Message-----
From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 12:54 AM
To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com
Subject: Re: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re:
VAX/VMSsite) site)site) site)site) site)site)

Surely it is cheaper to find a backup solution for this chap than to
suggest he change all his hardware and upgrade his software at what may
be great costs to him. How much would HP charge for software upgrades
from VMS 5.5 to 7.3 for multiple machines ?

------------------------

His apps, or layered products, may not support newer versions of VMS
without also being upgraded which could be a cost and/or technological
constraint.

As for alternate tape drives, there are 16-bit SCSI daughter-boards
(KZCCA's) that existed for the 4000 series of VAX systems.  I still have
one installed my in decommissioned 4000/100 which did run 5.5-2 (not h4)
when first installed.  It isn't perfect since the console can't see the
drive which is a problem for standalone backup tape boots, but once VMS
is up and the driver is loaded, VMS can manipulate it just fine and I
connected multiple SCSI style tape drives (ie. DAT, DLT and VXA) to this
adapter without issues.

My only reason for 'chiming in' is that I had to run on a frayed
shoe-string budget for years, so I can appreciate where this individual
might be coming from and I replaced my 4000/100 with CHARON-VAX simply
because the HW maintenance was poor and became too costly,
self-maintenance then became a problem because of difficulties with
sourcing spares, and overall system dependability was starting to suffer
-- not to mention our system was simply our of performance gas...

Best regards,

Barry Treahy
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

RE: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMS site) site)site) site) site)site)site) site)site)
From: Hoff Hoffman [mailto:hoff-remove-this@hp.com]=20 Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:06 PM To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com Subject: Re: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMS site) site)site) site) site)site)site) site)site) JF Mezei wrote: > Barry.Treahy@EmersonNetworkPower.com wrote: >> You might find the costs to migrate everything from the 4000/100 models >> to replacement CHARON 4000/108 emulated systems cost effect especially >=20 > If he starts to evaluate migration costs, he might find it cheaper to > migrate to Linux or Windows. Yes, ...

RE: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMS site) site)site) site) site)site)site) site)site) #2
-----Original Message----- From: Dave Froble [mailto:davef@tsoft-inc.com]=20 Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 12:23 AM To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com Subject: Re: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMS site) site)site) site) site)site)site) site)site) Stanley F. Quayle wrote: > On 16 Aug 2006 at 14:42, Barry.Treahy@EmersonNetworkPower.com wrote: >> You might find the costs to migrate everything from the 4000/100 models >> to replacement CHARON 4000/108 emulated systems cost effect >=20 > Another CHARON-VAX possibility [Shameless Plug Alert (tm)] is to=20 ...

RE: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMS site) site)site)
-----Original Message----- From: Hoff Hoffman [mailto:hoff-remove-this@hp.com]=20 Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 10:06 AM To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com Subject: Re: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMS site) site)site) contracer11@gmail.com wrote: > - 6 VAX 4000-100 running OpenVMS V5.5-2H4. There are costs to doing nothing and to not upgrading, and they=20 increase (subtly) over time. <http://h20325.www2.hp.com/blogs/hoffman/> The direct savings of not upgrading can and do eventually become=20 costs, typically first as indirect and usually unperceived...

RE: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMS site) site)site) #2
On 16 Aug 2006 at 14:42, Barry.Treahy@EmersonNetworkPower.com wrote: > You might find the costs to migrate everything from the 4000/100 models > to replacement CHARON 4000/108 emulated systems cost effect Another CHARON-VAX possibility [Shameless Plug Alert (tm)] is to consolidate those 4000's into one 6610 (or 6620, 6630, etc.) emulated system. The 66x0 series can do 95+ VUP's per emulated processor on modern multi-core Opteron systems. --Stan Quayle Quayle Consulting Inc. ---------- Stanley F. Quayle, P.E. N8SQ Toll free: 1-888-I-LUV-VAX 8572 North Spring Ct., Pickering...

Site to site content
I am looking for a PHP function that can display content from a separate site preferably with error handling. This is in lieu of using frames. Something similar to the ColdFusion tag cfhttp. Thanks in advance. On 2005-08-26, kingsleymyers@aol.com <kingsleymyers@aol.com> wrote: > I am looking for a PHP function that can display content from a > separate site preferably with error handling. This is in lieu of using > frames. Something similar to the ColdFusion tag cfhttp. http://www.php.net/curl -- Met vriendelijke groeten, Tim Van Wassenhove <http://timvw.madoka.be> ...

Site to Site 837
I need to setup one Lan to Lan with two Cisco837 ADSL, do you have an example of configuration. Thank's EM "EMerler" <emerler@ngi.it> writes: >I need to setup one Lan to Lan with two Cisco837 ADSL, do you have an >example of configuration. Typically this means that you'll be hooking the routers up back to back? That can't be done with an ADSL product, they have to be hooked up through an ISP/telco with a central office DSLAM. You could route VPN traffic over the two ISP connections with the 837 though. The VPN setup is your best solution unless you ...

Site to Site Question
Hi, All, I try to set up a site to site VPN connection to a bank office. The remote site ( the bank) uses Cicso VPN router and give me all their info that needed for setup. They told me that some of their partners use NetGear VPN router and sucessfully connected. So, I bought a NetGear VPN router, but am unable to make the connection. The bank said may be we need to buy a CISCO VPN router. Is this true the both end should use the same router. GL G L wrote: > Hi, All, > I try to set up a site to site VPN connection to a bank office. The remote > site ( the bank) uses C...

site to site on same subnet
Hi, We would like to setup a layer 2 tunnel (bridge) between two sites with both the sites being on same subnet ie 192.168.1.x. netmask 255.255.255.0 over WAN or leased line. We have a floating IP address to move between the 2 sites using arp. 1) Is there any off the shelf products that do this? 2) It has been suggested that GRE would help any comments? 3) Is there any simple way of doing this? Thanks in advance. Laurence Mayer Use a GRE tunnel, create a bridge group, and apply to the tunnel interfaces ...

VPN
Here is my debug and config... it appears as if the tunnel is being set up but I cannot access the remote LAN. Any suggestions? TIA. : Saved : PIX Version 6.3(5) fixup protocol tftp 69 names access-list 102 permit tcp any any eq www access-list 102 permit icmp any any access-list 102 permit icmp any any echo-reply access-list 101 permit ip 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.0 255.255.252.0 access-list 101 permit icmp any any access-list NoNAT permit ip 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.0 255.255.252.0 ip address outside 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.248 ip address inside 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 global (out...

VPN SITE-TO-SITE
Can anyone help me with a VPN SITE-TO-SITE configuration ? LAN_1 IP 10.0.1.0-255 GW 10.0.1.1 IP_PUB 62.123.45.66 (CISCO 1700 with NAT for local lan) NB: Dialer0 Interface with a STATIC_IP assigned by PPP LAN_2 IP 10.0.2.0-255 GW 10.0.2.1 IP_PUB 62.123.45.78 (CISCO 1700 with NAT for local lan) NB: Dialer0 Interface with a STATIC_IP assigned by PPP I need that LAN_1_PRIVATE_IP ca ping LAN_2_PRIVATE_IP I'm not an expert and the strange configuration of the interface Dialer0 can't help me Can anyone send a configuration profile, please ? ...

Dynamic Site to Site
I have a static site to site vpn tunnel between a pix 515 and a 506. I now need to add a dynamic site to site vpn tunnel to my configuration. Basically the 515 is at HQ and the 506s are at satilite plants. Plant A (HQ) uses static ip addresses, so too does Plant B. However, plant C's ISP cannot supply static IP addresses for the solution chosen (don't ask!). Instead, the ISP router in Plant C is going to have a dynamic public ip and yet the pix is not going to even have a public ip address at all. Is a site to site tunnel possible in this setup? Can the required ipsec ports be opened a...

site-to-site VPN
I have this schema: CompanyA CompanyB CompanyC inIP:192.168.2.0 192.168.1.0 192.168.10.0 exIP:aaa.bbb.107.96 xxx.yyy.97.34/28 aaa.bbb.97.50/29 I need to configure site tosite VPN between companyB and CompanyC is working fine but I can't get site to site VPN between CompanyA and CompanyB working. Every site also has configured VPN for remote users working fine. I spent lots of time researching whats wrong but I cant figure out. If someone has some time to review my configs I'll appreciate the help. I'll be glad also if you give me s...

Site-to-site networking
Hi, Our company is expanding... we are currently about 25 and expecting to grow to be 50 over a year or so... We're getting another building that is a few blocks away, what is the best way to link the current network to the new one? I am considering gateway-to-gateway VPN (using symantec VPN gateway devices) over 8MB ADSL. Is that practical given the number of users? We are currently running Windows 2003 SBS. -- Thank you Please post only ...

Site 2 Site
I have installed a site to site VPN between work and remote with 2 Linksys RV082 VPN routers, both LANs visable to angry ip scan works great. I would now like to make external resources available from the work LAN available to the remote site. I.E. from work LAN 192.224.xxx.xxx, 53.252.xxx.xxx network is available through RV082\WAN2 connection of Dual WAN. When connected remotely from 192.168.1 network only the 192.224.xxx.xxx LAN is visable no access beyond this network. Is this possable and where to start. Thanks ...

Web resources about - RE: Seeking Data Archiving (BACKUP) Suggestions (was: Re: VAX/VMSsite) site)site) site)site) site)site) - comp.os.vms

Suggestion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Suggestion is the psychological process by which one person guides the thoughts, feelings, or behaviour of another. Nineteenth century writers ...

Facebook Provides Advice For Those Users Who See Deceased Friend Suggestions
Over the past couple days a relatively substantial number of users have been complaining about Facebook’s upgraded suggestions feature for occasionally ...

What's your suggestion for an awesomely... - The Dish - Andrew Sullivan - Facebook
What's your suggestion for an awesomely bad Super PAC name?

Facebook’s Instant Personalization Improves Suggestions on Clicker Online TV Recommendations
... personalization for online television recommendations engine Clicker. When you visit the site while logged in to Facebook, you'll see suggestions ...

New tailored suggestions for you to follow on Twitter
... the first time, we want that process to be easy and fast. Currently, when new users come to Twitter, we show them all almost the same suggestions ...

Couple of suggestions for Fargo bloggers re Disqus comments.
Regarding Disqus comments: You can turn off the links to articles, if you don't care about revenue. Here's how: Go to the Disqus dashboard ...

New on Quora: Suggestions for Ask to Answer and... - Joel's Posts - Quora
One of the great parts of Quora is having a question answered by the perfect person, like a former Navy pilot who can explain what it's like ...

Chideo = The Charity Network - Exclusive Celebrity Videos from Fan Suggestions on the App Store on iTunes ...
Get Chideo = The Charity Network - Exclusive Celebrity Videos from Fan Suggestions on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

Suggestion for Feedhose - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
First thing I did when I saw Dave's Feedhose was narrow its browser window and drag it to the side of my screen. Which naturally led to visions ...

Suggestion Box: The Roots' Harry Potter Rap - YouTube
In honor of the show's trip to Universal Orlando, Tarik and The Roots perform a Harry Potter-themed rap. Subscribe NOW to The Tonight Show Starring ...