Re: Sending HTML mail from VMS MAIL?

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote on 06/16/2006 02:52:25 PM:

> Syltrem wrote:
> > > $ cr[0,8]=13
> > > $ lf[0,8]=10
> > > $ subject="[BACKUP] VMS Backup Summary" + cr + lf + -
> > > $ mail/sub="''subject'" 'summary_file support_dist
>

> > That works great !
>

> It may work today, but I am not sure this is garanteed to work forever.

Okay, I'll bite.

Why does it work?
Why is that stuff in the subject and what/why/how is it processed - since
it obviously gets used up somehow, i.e., what's going on?

Then,  Why would it break? What would break it?

0
norm.raphael (682)
6/16/2006 7:25:26 PM
comp.os.vms 21904 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <OF55F5EFB3.31E24B7F-ON8525718F.006A5CD9-8525718F.006AA067@metso.com>, norm.raphael@metso.com writes:

>JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote on 06/16/2006 02:52:25 PM:

>> > That works great !
>>

>> It may work today, but I am not sure this is garanteed to work forever.
>
>Okay, I'll bite.
>
>Why does it work?
>Why is that stuff in the subject and what/why/how is it processed - since
>it obviously gets used up somehow, i.e., what's going on?

This works because the value in the "subject" has line breaks in it.  The
result is that mail clients get to interpret what the mail user agent thought
was only one header, the subject header, as

Subject: [BACKUP] VMS Backup Summary

thereby advising it to process the contents of the message as HTML.

The CR & LF values are carriage-return and linefeed.  There are no blank
lines between the Subject: header and the injected headers, so they are
properly processed; if you put your content-type header in the message body,
there's a blank line (unless you use a speical mail transport to prevent
that) and the header isn't processed.

Hope this helps!

> Why would it break?

A message transport might at some point decide to escape the CRLF value
in the header and make it a long subject line.  I don't know how likely
that is.

-- Alan
0
winston (523)
6/16/2006 7:40:15 PM
norm.raphael@metso.com wrote:
> Why does it work?
> Why is that stuff in the subject and what/why/how is it processed - since
> it obviously gets used up somehow, i.e., what's going on?

Here is a header generated by the MAIL command to a internet email address:

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:06:36 -0400
From: jfmezei@vuxination.cake (Jean-Fran´┐Żois Mezei)
To: JFMEZEI@vuxination.cake
Subject: Chocolate cookie
<blank line>
contents of message

With the trick: the above header would become:

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:06:36 -0400
From: jfmezei@vuxination.cake (Jean-Fran´┐Żois Mezei)
To: JFMEZEI@vuxination.cake
<blank line>
contents of message

aka: subject =  "Chocoolate cookie" + CRLF + "Mime-Version: 1.0" + CRLF
 causes the mail foreign protocol to blindly write the CRLFs to the
temporary file. The symbiont and recipient don't see those tricks
because by that time, the single subject has become "Chocolate cookie"
followed by totally separate lines which happen to be bona-fide RFC
header lines.
norm.raphael@metso.com wrote:

> JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote on 06/16/2006 02:52:25 PM:

>>>That works great !
>>

>>It may work today, but I am not sure this is garanteed to work forever.
>

> Okay, I'll bite.
>
> Why does it work?
> Why is that stuff in the subject and what/why/how is it processed - since
> it obviously gets used up somehow, i.e., what's going on?
>
> Then,  Why would it break? What would break it?

I'd say that it works because it provides a way to get unsupported stuff
into the message headers.

It might break because it does unsupported things in unsupported ways.

You still have to provide your own html text for the message body.
0
rgilbert88 (4439)
6/16/2006 9:20:35 PM
On 2006-06-16 21:40, "Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing" wrote:

> [...]
>
> The CR & LF values are carriage-return and linefeed.  There are no blank
> lines between the Subject: header and the injected headers, so they are
> properly processed; if you put your content-type header in the message body,
> there's a blank line (unless you use a speical mail transport to prevent
> that) and the header isn't processed.
>
> [...]
>
> A message transport might at some point decide to escape the CRLF value
> in the header and make it a long subject line.  I don't know how likely
> that is.

Putting the three lines together into a long "Subject:" line would
require standards-compliant "header folding" (RFC 2822, section 2.2.3),
i.e., (at least) one _space_ character at the very beginning of the
continuation lines.

Michael

--
Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.