RE: VMS process priorities and system processes

It would appear that you want to ensure some processes of the same
priority do not impact other processese e.g. process runaway stuff.=20

As others have stated, you can get into trouble by purposely mixing
priorities on specific priorities.

As a suggestion, I would suggest you consider using the OpenVMS class
scheduler to do this.

Reference:
Sysman> Help class

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/6048/6048pro_005.html#startsubcom
mand_431
"The class scheduler provides the ability to limit the amount of CPU
time that a system's users receive by placing users in scheduling
classes. Each class is assigned a percentage of the overall system CPU
time. As the system runs, the combined set of users in a class is
limited to the percentage of CPU execution time allocated to their
class.=20

Users might get some additional CPU time if the qualifier /WINDFALL is
enabled for their scheduling class. Enabling the qualifier /WINDFALL
allows the system to give a small amount of CPU time to a scheduling
class when the scheduling class's allotted time has been depleted, but a
free CPU is available."

Regards

Kerry Main
Senior Consultant
HP Services Canada
Voice: 613-592-4660
Fax: 613-591-4477
kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
(remove the DOT's and AT)=20

kerry.main (1446)
7/16/2005 8:12:05 PM
comp.os.vms 21314 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Main, Kerry wrote:

> [...]

-- snip --

>>Additional background information: Of course, the high
>>priority server processes
>>are tested well and stable, but some other processes might
>>come into a CPU loop
>>or similar (e.g. once there was a process with a read timeout
>>of 0 seconds,
>>which came from a (missing) user input timeout value :-( ).
>>
>>In such cases a system manager should still be able to log in
>>and suspend/stop
>>such bad behaving processes. And network activities (many
>>processes connect via
>>TCPIP services) should never be blocked by other processes.
>>
>>Any suggestions what to do?
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Albrecht
>>

> It would appear that you want to ensure some processes of the same
> priority do not impact other processese e.g. process runaway stuff.

There are two goals: First of all the system should operate with reasonable
performance for all users under normal conditions. The second goal is to
minimize the impact of misconfigured or bad behaving ("run away") processes that
could otherwise block critical server processes.

> As others have stated, you can get into trouble by purposely mixing
> priorities on specific priorities.

I don't really understand this sentence.

> As a suggestion, I would suggest you consider using the OpenVMS class
> scheduler to do this.
>
> Reference:
> Sysman> Help class
>
> http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/6048/6048pro_005.html#startsubcom
> mand_431
> "The class scheduler provides the ability to limit the amount of CPU
> time that a system's users receive by placing users in scheduling
> classes. Each class is assigned a percentage of the overall system CPU
> time. As the system runs, the combined set of users in a class is
> limited to the percentage of CPU execution time allocated to their
> class.
>
> Users might get some additional CPU time if the qualifier /WINDFALL is
> enabled for their scheduling class. Enabling the qualifier /WINDFALL
> allows the system to give a small amount of CPU time to a scheduling
> class when the scheduling class's allotted time has been depleted, but a
> free CPU is available."

Interesting suggestion. This didn't come to my mind, though I read about it
somewhere some time ago. I'll check if it can be of use for us.

> Regards
>
> Kerry Main
> Senior Consultant
> HP Services Canada
> Voice: 613-592-4660
> Fax: 613-591-4477
> kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
> (remove the DOT's and AT)
>
> OpenVMS - the secure, multi-site OS that just works.

I second this ;-)

Albrecht
0
ajs856 (48)

Re: Out of Area Calls #17
bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes: > pointed out that the law made *no* such provision for delay on an > -internally-maintained- list, and required that they update my > _customer_record_ with a note that 'customer has ordered us -never- to > make marketing calls to him', and the date/time. Three days later, > somebody "didn't read" the notes, and called me. I promptly demanded > a supervisor, had them read the account 'notes', and asked if they > wanted to pay the statutory $500 minimum, or if I needed to go to &g...

RE: Question to Kerry Main
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca] > Sent: June 30, 2007 8:31 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Question to Kerry Main >=20 > Mr Main, your arguments on c.o.v. are often rebutted as part of normal > debating process. (And you rebutt other arguments with your own > responses). >=20 > In real life, do you also find customers and potential customers > having > similar questions ? Or do you conclude that we, in c.o.v. are a > sepcial > bunch living in a totally different universe without a clue...

Re: Creating a new variable? #4
Hi, Yes, you can do it easily. This is one solution: Proc sort data=3DTab1; by Id; run; Data Tab1; set Tab1; by Id; retain INC 0; if first.Id then INC=3D0; Inc=3Dinc+1; run; Le 16:01 7/02/2006, vous avez =E9crit: >Hi > >I have alarge data set in which I have a unique ID, for each id there are= 49 >observations, now I want to create a new variable which would be equal to 1 >for first observation and increment in steps of 1 to 49 and then reset to 1 >and continue. is there a way of doing this? > >thanks > >Vj Alexandre BAUDRY Unit=E9...

Re: ot
A very good all purpose server product of this nature that I have extensi= ve=20 experience with is FirstClass (www.firstclass.com). * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: String question #6
As Howard example shows the last observation passed incorrectly, Is there a reason why the third observation(123 12) did not pass incorrectly. Is that a length issue or something different? On Thu, 1 May 2008 09:50:19 -0400, Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org> <schreier.junk.mail@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >On Thu, 1 May 2008 08:16:37 -0400, Richard A. DeVenezia ><rdevenezia@WILDBLUE.NET> wrote: > >>Dominic Mitchell wrote: >>> input var1 var2 $6.; >>> cards; >>> 99 9982 >>> 998 998 >>> ; >> >>The INPUT statem...

Re: Really Frustrating -9628 Errors #2
On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 14:23 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote: > We've written several Informix stored procedures that return MULTISET as > the type; the application than does a SELECT a,b,c FROM > TABLE({procedurename}({parameterlist...})). And these WORK!!! But only > for awhile, the next day, or after a couple of days suddenly they stop > working - and they haven't been changed. They simply start to bomb out > with a -9628 (type not found) error for any SQL statement like the > above. > We are using "IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 10.00...

Re: More SQL simplification
Roger: In your version of the query, SAS 'remerges' summarized values back to the original dataset. It actually works the same as the query that joins a view to the original dataset. The simpler form of the query does not in general across different flavors of SQL. Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Roger Lustig Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 7:12 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: More SQL simplification Pat: You've answered your own question! No reason you can't do a GROUP BY while selecting colum...

Re: question about data values #11
Howdy Toby - The V9 compress function has new useful modifiers to handle all numbers, all letters, typewriter characters etc. http://xrl.us/gk8j In this case D is for digits 0-9 and K is for Keep (rather than compress). 10 data _null_ ; 11 x = 'A1234' ; 12 y = input(compress(x,'','DK'),5.0); 13 put x= y= ; 14 run ; x=A1234 y=1234 regards as always - Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of toby dunn Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 4:41 PM To: SAS-L@...

Re:
This is an autoresponder. I'll never see your message. ...

[News] Microsoft's Vista System Requirements (READ: to Bootstrap)
Microsoft Windows "Vista Capable": Good for Booting Only ,----[ Quote ] | Many computer makers have been marketing their computers as "Windows | Vista Capable." The trouble is your idea of a "capable" computer may | differ from that of manufacturers and Microsoft. `---- http://www.mouseprint.org/?p=207 Related: Buying a new PC? 'Windows Vista Capable' barely hits the mark ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft's on-the-box minimum RAM requirement "really isn't | realistic," according to David Short, an IBM consultant who works | in its company...

Re: [HP3000-L] Save and Re-Use a File Equation
Jay writes: > What I'd like to do is to save the file equation with the parameters the > user entered, and then re-use that file equation after the checks are > printed. Like this: > > 1. Enter printer name, etc for reports > 2. Submit job, which does: > a. file report;dev=<parameters from 1 above> > b. run program A > c. file print=checks;dev=lp;forms=mount checks > d. run program B to print checks > e. file report;dev=<parameters from 1 above> > f. run program C to create report to print on printer ...

Re: array label question #9
Here's another approach. conceptually similar to the previous posts..... data _null_; %let colmns = ; do yr = 2007,2008; do qtr = 1 to 4; do channel_cd = 1 to 3; do Incentive_Type = 1,2; call symput ('colmns', symget ('colmns') || ' ' || '_' || catx('_',yr,qtr,channel_Cd,Incentive_Type)); end; end; end; end; run; data transpose (drop = yr qtr channel_cd incentive_type contacts) ; format &colmns best32.; array all [2007:2008, 1:4, 1:3, 1:2] _all_; do until(last.indiv_id) ; set have; by indiv_id; all{yr,qtr,ch...

Re: How to obtain FrameTicks List from an existing Plot?
t = Range[5]; p = ListPlot[t, Frame -> True]; FrameTicks /. AbsoluteOptions[p] Bob Hanlon ---- Nasser Abbasi <nma@12000.org> wrote: ============= I have a need to obtain the FrameTicks list from an existing plot. The reason I want to do this, is because I need to slightly modify the ticks, and then redraw the plot with the new Ticks. This would be much easier than having to generate the Ticks myself in the first place. This is an example: t = Range[5]; p = ListPlot[t, Frame -> True] But when I look at FullForm[p], I see no list would would look like the...

Re: Question re Canon iP1500 #2
Been busy for a few days, so didn't get a chance to get back here. But need to ask about your message below. "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1144285405.300198.236870@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Do y ou mean I could fix the problem of the waste ink absorber myself? I > > thought you can't see it by just looking into the printer > > The waste counter you can reset with the service tool QY9-0066 as Tony > explained. You can get it here > http://www.printersiam.com/data/download/iP1500%20Service%20Tool.zi...

System Memeory
Hi, I have a basic doubt in Applets. If I run a applet from browser, then the memory is taken from the browser memory or seperate process memory is used by the applet. Thanks in Advance. Cheers, Ravi. "Ravi" <nvn_ravi@sify.com> wrote in message news:1143440223.752691.40130@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I have a basic doubt in Applets. If I run a applet from browser, then > the memory is taken from the browser memory or seperate process memory > is used by the applet. Probably implementation specific. - Oliver You mean implementation on b...

NYMLUG NYC Encompass meeting "VMS Update" 10/29/03
Please join us for the next NY Metro Local Users Group meeting. Note: you must RSVP in advance for entrance to the building. "OpenVMS Update" Wednesday, October 29th, 2003. 12:30-7 PM HP Offices 2 Penn Plaza 8th Floor ( 7th Ave and 32nd St) Directly above the entrance to Penn Station. 12:30 - 1:00 Check in and old-style DECUS Networking. 1:00 - 1:10 Welcome and announcements, HP. 1:10 - 1:15 Gary McCready: LUG Business and Announcements 1:15 - 2:30 Greg Jordan, HP "OpenVMS Technical Update" 2:45 - 4:00 Greg Jordan, HP "OpenVMS Performanc...

Re: Apple's iPod Raises Bar For Digital Music Players
Hey- Check out this great site that is giving away totally FREE iPods! I've joined and I think you should as well. It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given away $4 million in FREE stuff! All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it! Here is my referral link. To help me get my iPod, click this exact link to join, or copy and paste it into a browser: http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=12703712 Monty Solomon wrote: > Apple's iPod Raises Bar For Digital Music Players > By W...

Re: Now That They're Mounted ... #9
Correct me if I'm wrong, but MPE does not provide automatic failover in the event a controller dies. Yes, you can connect 2 controllers, but one won't take over for the other in the event of failure. That's an important distinction to recognize. John Lee Vaske Computer Solutions At 03:35 PM 8/18/04 -0400, Gilles Schipper wrote: >At 03:20 PM 2004-08-18, you wrote: >>O.K. two brain farts. Can't have more than 7 logical drives. > > >The mod20 supports up to 8 luns or logical drives. > > >>And you can't split the SCSI, (and u...

Re: own package doesnt work correctly?
Martin, Symbols like x and I are set up in the package`Private` context once you put the definition inside the package. So they won't match Global`x or Global`I in a notebook using the package. You could either add the Global` context to these symbols in the package, or better yet pass them as parameters to the rule. partintrulx[x_,I_]:= ..... David Park djmp@earthlink.net http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/ From: Martin [mailto:ms_usenet@gmx.de] Hello, I started to - try to - use packages written on my own, using the Notebook editor, marking the cells as initializa...

Re: Call System in UNIX #7 1547219
Dear SAS-L-ers, Michael D. Ross posted the following interesting question: > Hi All, > I'm having trouble with the following code in Unix. It > creates the "dump.txt" file in the specified directory; > however, it has 0 records in it. Any suggestions? > > > > %let progs = /temp/mydir; > > data _null_; > command= " ll &progs *.sas > &progs/dump.txt"; > call system (command); > run; > Michael, I see it! It appears that you are falling prey to a subtle problem in your DATA _NULL_ step. Your problem is with the spac...

Re: New to SAS #2
Here is a very good paper that covers "everything" about learning more about SAS. It lists many resources of varying types, including SAS-L: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/147-30.pdf -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of sfitzpatrick76@googlemail.com Sent: January 14, 2008 3:11 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: New to SAS I'm new to SAS and Data Extraction generally, does anyone have any hints, tips or advice that might be useful? I'm interested in: related websites, programming languages, programmes, b...

Re: Thanks Harry Re: SAS Data Step Qn.
Use Eric's solution, it's cleaner. -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu]On Behalf Of Jeff Morison Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 3:03 PM To: Droogendyk, Harry; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Thanks Harry Re: SAS Data Step Qn. This worked out perfectly Harry, thanks very much. --- "Droogendyk, Harry" <harry.droogendyk@RBC.COM> wrote: > data a; > input HRN : CDATE : date7. STAGE : > start : stop; > format cdate date9.; > cards; > 609 21JUL03 2 307 ...

Not urgent: problem trying to boot from DISK1, read-only file system?
Greetings! Well, to try to save time, I have mounted my newly installed Solaris, on c0t1d0 (DISK1) from the disk I'm currently booting off of c0t0d0 (DISK0). I have "cp'd" numerous files over, from my existing /etc to /mnt/new_disk/etc, etc. (I was also wanting to get the sendmail on my currently running system, because the sendmail from Solaris 8 needed several patches, because CERT found security flaws in it. I had patched the one I'm currently running.) Okay. :-) I suspect this wasn't the best way to do it. (I need to save time wherever I can...

Re: Canada to Criminalize Watching Foreign TV and Radio #2
On Mon, 10 May 2004 cfarrar@spamcop.net wrote: > Ex-patroit and "snowbird" Canadians are know to take Bell ExpressVu > satellite receivers down to their winter homes in Florida, South > Carolina, and Nevada so they can received CBC and other "home" > programming. However. Bell isn't licenced for use in the US and the > FCC could just as easily start seizing their receivers. There is nothing illegal under US law in taking your legitimate Bell ExpressVu receivers into the US and using them in the US. -- Mark -- http://staff.washington.edu/...

RE: Re: corrected RE: Re: Computing sets of equivalences #2
This was all nonsense, >-----Original Message----- >From: Wolf, Hartmut >Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 3:05 AM >To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net >Subject: Re: corrected RE: Re: >Computing sets of >equivalences > > > >Bobby, > >it took me a while to discern what you added to Carl's >algorithm. It's the >line where you map addequiv over the rest of the argument sequence. > >But it is not at all obvious to do so, since in effect you do >not built on >the work done, but, in a way restore equivalences, which w...