rx2600 console VMS instructions

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set up
the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.

I'm having terrible luck finding anything with Google.
0
Reply Snowshoe 4/7/2010 2:16:18 AM

See related articles to this posting

Snowshoe wrote:
> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set up
> the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.

I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
0
Reply Malcolm 4/7/2010 2:34:57 AM

Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> Snowshoe wrote:
>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.
>>

> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.

Sorry to follow up my own reply, but in case more detail is needed:

  - boot the VMS installation DVD using the built-in "boot DVD" console
option. Use a serial terminal/emulator on the console serial port. Set
the boot options to use the serial port for console input/output/error.
VMS won't boot properly if the graphics console is enabled.

   - Once the DVD boots (takes maybe 5-10 minutes) you'll see a menu.
One of the options is "Execute DCL commands". Select that option.

   - Once you get the DCL prompt do "sysgen io auto" to make sure dkb0
is configured and visible (can't remember if this is required for SCSI
disks to show up - it is for fibrechannel disks).

   - do a "sho dev d" and make sure you can see DKB0:

   - do "@sys$manager:boot_options" - the prompts from there should be
pretty straightforward

(sorry if this is stuff you already knew - better too much information
than not enough)
0
Reply Malcolm 4/7/2010 2:43:35 AM

On Apr 7, 3:43=A0am, Malcolm Dunnett <noth...@spammers.are.scum> wrote:
> Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> > Snowshoe wrote:
> >> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
> >> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
> >> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) =A0No management processor.
>
> > I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and the=
> > use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
>
> Sorry to follow up my own reply, but in case more detail is needed:
>
> =A0 - boot the VMS installation DVD using the built-in "boot DVD" console
> option. Use a serial terminal/emulator on the console serial port. Set
> the boot options to use the serial port for console input/output/error.
> VMS won't boot properly if the graphics console is enabled.
>
> =A0 =A0- Once the DVD boots (takes maybe 5-10 minutes) you'll see a menu.
> One of the options is "Execute DCL commands". Select that option.
>
> =A0 =A0- Once you get the DCL prompt do "sysgen io auto" to make sure dkb=
0
> is configured and visible (can't remember if this is required for SCSI
> disks to show up - it is for fibrechannel disks).
>
> =A0 =A0- do a "sho dev d" and make sure you can see DKB0:
>
> =A0 =A0- do "@sys$manager:boot_options" - the prompts from there should b=
> pretty straightforward
>
> (sorry if this is stuff you already knew - better too much information
> than not enough)

See the fine manual

http://docs.hp.com/en/BA322-90077/apa.html

0
Reply IanMiller 4/7/2010 9:30:37 AM

On 4/6/2010 10:34 PM, Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> Snowshoe wrote:
>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) No management processor.
>>

> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.

Thanks!  I missed that. I was trying to find the rx2600 console
commands to do so before booting anything, not something from within
VMS.
0
Reply Snowshoe 4/8/2010 8:35:28 PM

"Snowshoe" <no@spam.please> wrote in message
> On 4/6/2010 10:34 PM, Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
>> Snowshoe wrote:
>>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) No management processor.
>>>

>> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
>> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
>
> Thanks!  I missed that. I was trying to find the rx2600 console
> commands to do so before booting anything, not something from within
> VMS.

From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
and modify the entries in the boot menu.

John

0
Reply John 4/8/2010 9:34:33 PM

John Reagan wrote:

> From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
> and modify the entries in the boot menu.

  What is the proper syntax for creating boot flags using this method?

  I've tried to, for example, set a disk to boot from root 1 using this
method but it ended up booting from root 0. I presume it's something to
do with how I entered the flags or whether they should be ASCII or Binary.

That's why I recommended going the somewhat longer but more "user
friendly" route of booting the install DVD and using the BOOT_CONFIG
procedure.
0
Reply Malcolm 4/9/2010 2:35:55 PM

In article <4bbf3b4e$1@flight>, Malcolm Dunnett <nothome@spammers.are.scum> writes:
>John Reagan wrote:
>

>> From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
>> and modify the entries in the boot menu.
>
>  What is the proper syntax for creating boot flags using this method?

"-FL root,bootflags"

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

  http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

Read all about their schemes and adventuring.  It's well worth a fee.  So roll
 up and see, how they rape the universe;  How they've gone from bad to worse.
Who are these men of lust, greed, and glory?  Rip off the masks and let's see.

0
Reply VAXman 4/9/2010 3:26:41 PM
comp.os.vms 20581 articles. 11 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

VMS Alpha Console (VGA)
VMS 8.3, DS10L, Radeon 7500 card. When DECW$SERVER crashes, the display returns to the VMS provided console. (the one with the white-on black title at the bottom). When this happen, the screen goes to a 720*400 resolution (or it may be 700*24) Definitely not 640*480. Also, the monitor needs to be recalibrated because the "window" is improperly positioned in the imagable area (aka: text is shiften to the left and first column is not visible). "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:925cd$45759daf$cef8887a$2583@TEKSAVVY.COM... > VMS ...

IDE drive in RX2600 under VMS
I've got an RX2600 I picked up at an IDF a while back. Given the availability (finally, yay!) of hobbyist licenses, I'm about to get it off the ground again. I'm sure it's got an acceptable IDE controller in it, to run the DVD drive. I was wondering, then, if adding an IDE hard drive (Yes, I know- but it's a hobbyist box) could be done? Anyone tried? -- Dean Woodward =o&o dean.woodward@gmail.com DeanW wrote: > I've got an RX2600 I picked up at an IDF a while back. Given the > availability (finally, yay!) of hobbyist licenses, I'm about to get it >...

OT: VMS Console Monitoring
Slightly off topic anyway. I have a need for a console monitor for VMS that will monitor messages that do not become part of the system message log. I know there are other VMS users on the list so I thought I would throw this out here. TIA Dave * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Latest VMS BootCamp instructions forum
Sue, you said: > PLEASE PLEASE have the latest anti-virus software update put on your > laptop's, we have noticed that people share a lot of files and we are > so used to VMS that we assume security. Is McAfee a good software to HP's eyes, or should I remove it and put bad old standard Norton back on my HP laptop? Regards D. PRSTSC::DTL -- Didier MORANDI - Expert informaticien - VMS / SAP 13 chemin du Gu�, 1213 Petit-Lancy (GE) Suisse T�l. : +33(0)6 7983 6418 ~ www.didiermorandi.com In article <429d441c$0$16642$626a14ce@news.free.fr>, Didier Morandi <preno...

RX2600 hangs (VMS 8.3)
I have an rx2600 (dual 1.4GHz/1.5MB CPUs) which has been happily running VMS for several years. It's at 8.3 with VMS83I_UPDATE4 and VMS83I_SYS4 (along with a few other) patches installed. It's running Oracle 10.2.0.2 server as its only application. This morning at around 4am it "stopped cold". No crash dump, no errors in the system error log, nothing untoward in the OPERATOR log, no error messages on the console. The other cluster nodes simply report losing communication to it at that time. Unfortunately in the heat of the moment to get it going again this morning I d...

VMS VGA console sync problem
Environment: DS10L , VMS 8.3. Radeon 7500 card. NEC Multisync 1980SX display. (LCD). Compaq LK462-AC keyboard. During the booting process, VMS seems to replace the VGA support. The screen is "redrawn" and a new font applied. Normally, one doesn't place much attention to this since once DECW starts, this temporary console mode goes away. However, the problem becomes visible if you crash DECW and the dispay reverts to that console mode and you start to use it (in VT52 mode). The NEC LCD display is unable to adjust to the VMS loaded VGA console. None of the buttons to adjus...

trouble compiling instruction: console.puts(...
I'm reading the AoA by Randy Hyde. In the chapter called "IntegerArithmetic" he has a program called "testRandom" that illustrates the use of the rand.range and rand.urange functions. What this program does is prints a number of asterisks on your screen in a random pattern. I thought I'd go ahead and run the program just to see what it looks like. The code didn't seem very difficult. However, I cannot compile the program. When I try I get the following error: ============ Error in file "testRandom.hla" at line 22 [errid:55234/hlaparse.bsn...

pws600au vms startup console output
The recent thread about getting back to SRM from alphabios on the PWS433 reminded me of a console problem I have had forever on the 600au. I have only serial lines connected to my two PWS 600au machines, which feed into a decserver. There is no graphics monitor. I use set host/dte to get to the consoles, and the SRM consoles are set to "serial". I am able to boot the machines, but for some reason I don't see the boot messages from VMS. The last line I see is "jumping to bootstrap code". Yet the machine actually does boot. If I wait a few minutes, I can hit ...

Re: pws600au vms startup console output
Wayne Sewell was overheard to say: > The recent thread about getting back to SRM from alphabios on the PWS433 > reminded me of a console problem I have had forever on the 600au. > > I have only serial lines connected to my two PWS 600au machines, which > feed into a decserver. There is no graphics monitor. > > I use set host/dte to get to the consoles, and the SRM consoles are set > to "serial". > > I am able to boot the machines, but for some reason I don't see the boot > messages from VMS. The last line I see is "jumping to bootstr...