rx2600 console VMS instructions

Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set up
the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.

I'm having terrible luck finding anything with Google.
0
Snowshoe
4/7/2010 2:16:18 AM
comp.os.vms 21758 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Snowshoe wrote:
> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set up
> the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.

I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
0
Malcolm
4/7/2010 2:34:57 AM
Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> Snowshoe wrote:
>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.
>>

> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.

Sorry to follow up my own reply, but in case more detail is needed:

  - boot the VMS installation DVD using the built-in "boot DVD" console
option. Use a serial terminal/emulator on the console serial port. Set
the boot options to use the serial port for console input/output/error.
VMS won't boot properly if the graphics console is enabled.

   - Once the DVD boots (takes maybe 5-10 minutes) you'll see a menu.
One of the options is "Execute DCL commands". Select that option.

   - Once you get the DCL prompt do "sysgen io auto" to make sure dkb0
is configured and visible (can't remember if this is required for SCSI
disks to show up - it is for fibrechannel disks).

   - do a "sho dev d" and make sure you can see DKB0:

   - do "@sys$manager:boot_options" - the prompts from there should be
pretty straightforward

(sorry if this is stuff you already knew - better too much information
than not enough)
0
Malcolm
4/7/2010 2:43:35 AM
On Apr 7, 3:43=A0am, Malcolm Dunnett <noth...@spammers.are.scum> wrote:
> Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> > Snowshoe wrote:
> >> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
> >> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
> >> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) =A0No management processor.
>
> > I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and the=
> > use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
>
> Sorry to follow up my own reply, but in case more detail is needed:
>
> =A0 - boot the VMS installation DVD using the built-in "boot DVD" console
> option. Use a serial terminal/emulator on the console serial port. Set
> the boot options to use the serial port for console input/output/error.
> VMS won't boot properly if the graphics console is enabled.
>
> =A0 =A0- Once the DVD boots (takes maybe 5-10 minutes) you'll see a menu.
> One of the options is "Execute DCL commands". Select that option.
>
> =A0 =A0- Once you get the DCL prompt do "sysgen io auto" to make sure dkb=
0
> is configured and visible (can't remember if this is required for SCSI
> disks to show up - it is for fibrechannel disks).
>
> =A0 =A0- do a "sho dev d" and make sure you can see DKB0:
>
> =A0 =A0- do "@sys$manager:boot_options" - the prompts from there should b=
> pretty straightforward
>
> (sorry if this is stuff you already knew - better too much information
> than not enough)

See the fine manual

http://docs.hp.com/en/BA322-90077/apa.html

0
IanMiller
4/7/2010 9:30:37 AM
On 4/6/2010 10:34 PM, Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> Snowshoe wrote:
>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) No management processor.
>>

> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.

Thanks!  I missed that. I was trying to find the rx2600 console
commands to do so before booting anything, not something from within
VMS.
0
Snowshoe
4/8/2010 8:35:28 PM
"Snowshoe" <no@spam.please> wrote in message
> On 4/6/2010 10:34 PM, Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
>> Snowshoe wrote:
>>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) No management processor.
>>>

>> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
>> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
>
> Thanks!  I missed that. I was trying to find the rx2600 console
> commands to do so before booting anything, not something from within
> VMS.

From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
and modify the entries in the boot menu.

John

0
John
4/8/2010 9:34:33 PM
John Reagan wrote:

> From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
> and modify the entries in the boot menu.

  What is the proper syntax for creating boot flags using this method?

  I've tried to, for example, set a disk to boot from root 1 using this
method but it ended up booting from root 0. I presume it's something to
do with how I entered the flags or whether they should be ASCII or Binary.

That's why I recommended going the somewhat longer but more "user
friendly" route of booting the install DVD and using the BOOT_CONFIG
procedure.
0
Malcolm
4/9/2010 2:35:55 PM
In article <4bbf3b4e$1@flight>, Malcolm Dunnett <nothome@spammers.are.scum> writes:
>John Reagan wrote:
>

>> From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
>> and modify the entries in the boot menu.
>
>  What is the proper syntax for creating boot flags using this method?

"-FL root,bootflags"

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

  http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

Read all about their schemes and adventuring.  It's well worth a fee.  So roll
 up and see, how they rape the universe;  How they've gone from bad to worse.
Who are these men of lust, greed, and glory?  Rip off the masks and let's see.

0
VAXman