rx2600 console VMS instructions

Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set up
the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.

I'm having terrible luck finding anything with Google.
0
Snowshoe
4/7/2010 2:16:18 AM
comp.os.vms 21294 articles. 13 followers. Post Follow

Snowshoe wrote:
> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set up
> the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.

I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
0
Malcolm
4/7/2010 2:34:57 AM
Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> Snowshoe wrote:
>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.
>>

> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.

Sorry to follow up my own reply, but in case more detail is needed:

  - boot the VMS installation DVD using the built-in "boot DVD" console
option. Use a serial terminal/emulator on the console serial port. Set
the boot options to use the serial port for console input/output/error.
VMS won't boot properly if the graphics console is enabled.

   - Once the DVD boots (takes maybe 5-10 minutes) you'll see a menu.
One of the options is "Execute DCL commands". Select that option.

   - Once you get the DCL prompt do "sysgen io auto" to make sure dkb0
is configured and visible (can't remember if this is required for SCSI
disks to show up - it is for fibrechannel disks).

   - do a "sho dev d" and make sure you can see DKB0:

   - do "@sys$manager:boot_options" - the prompts from there should be
pretty straightforward

(sorry if this is stuff you already knew - better too much information
than not enough)
0
Malcolm
4/7/2010 2:43:35 AM
On Apr 7, 3:43=A0am, Malcolm Dunnett <noth...@spammers.are.scum> wrote:
> Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> > Snowshoe wrote:
> >> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
> >> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
> >> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) =A0No management processor.
>
> > I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and the=
> > use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
>
> Sorry to follow up my own reply, but in case more detail is needed:
>
> =A0 - boot the VMS installation DVD using the built-in "boot DVD" console
> option. Use a serial terminal/emulator on the console serial port. Set
> the boot options to use the serial port for console input/output/error.
> VMS won't boot properly if the graphics console is enabled.
>
> =A0 =A0- Once the DVD boots (takes maybe 5-10 minutes) you'll see a menu.
> One of the options is "Execute DCL commands". Select that option.
>
> =A0 =A0- Once you get the DCL prompt do "sysgen io auto" to make sure dkb=
0
> is configured and visible (can't remember if this is required for SCSI
> disks to show up - it is for fibrechannel disks).
>
> =A0 =A0- do a "sho dev d" and make sure you can see DKB0:
>
> =A0 =A0- do "@sys$manager:boot_options" - the prompts from there should b=
> pretty straightforward
>
> (sorry if this is stuff you already knew - better too much information
> than not enough)

See the fine manual

http://docs.hp.com/en/BA322-90077/apa.html

0
IanMiller
4/7/2010 9:30:37 AM
On 4/6/2010 10:34 PM, Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> Snowshoe wrote:
>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) No management processor.
>>

> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.

Thanks!  I missed that. I was trying to find the rx2600 console
commands to do so before booting anything, not something from within
VMS.
0
Snowshoe
4/8/2010 8:35:28 PM
"Snowshoe" <no@spam.please> wrote in message
> On 4/6/2010 10:34 PM, Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
>> Snowshoe wrote:
>>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) No management processor.
>>>

>> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
>> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
>
> Thanks!  I missed that. I was trying to find the rx2600 console
> commands to do so before booting anything, not something from within
> VMS.

From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
and modify the entries in the boot menu.

John

0
John
4/8/2010 9:34:33 PM
John Reagan wrote:

> From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
> and modify the entries in the boot menu.

  What is the proper syntax for creating boot flags using this method?

  I've tried to, for example, set a disk to boot from root 1 using this
method but it ended up booting from root 0. I presume it's something to
do with how I entered the flags or whether they should be ASCII or Binary.

That's why I recommended going the somewhat longer but more "user
friendly" route of booting the install DVD and using the BOOT_CONFIG
procedure.
0
Malcolm
4/9/2010 2:35:55 PM
In article <4bbf3b4e$1@flight>, Malcolm Dunnett <nothome@spammers.are.scum> writes:
>John Reagan wrote:
>

>> From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
>> and modify the entries in the boot menu.
>
>  What is the proper syntax for creating boot flags using this method?

"-FL root,bootflags"

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

  http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

Read all about their schemes and adventuring.  It's well worth a fee.  So roll
 up and see, how they rape the universe;  How they've gone from bad to worse.
Who are these men of lust, greed, and glory?  Rip off the masks and let's see.

0
VAXman

rx2600, zx6000 Woes
Anybody seen this error message on rx2600? 7 0 0x00006B 0X000000000000001E UNEXPECTED TRAP 7 0 0X000066 0X000000000000001E TRAP TAKEN, NUMBER IN EXT PE 7 0 0X00003C 0X0000000000005400 TRAP TAKEN, NUMBER IN EXT PE On my ZX6000 I get 6 short beeps with the red system light on, which would mean a firmware problem. Can I update the firmware and if so how can I do it with the system being froze? Ron Thacker wrote: > Anybody seen this error message on rx2600? > > > > 7 0 0x00006B 0X000000000000001E UNEXPECTED TRAP > 7 0 0X000066 0X000000000000001E TRAP TAKEN, NUMBER IN E...

VMS/CMS to SCCS or Teamware
Does anybody know of a tool that I can use to convert VMS CMS files to sccs files? If not, how 'bout a pointer to a location that describes the internal tags for either storage file? Thanks. Bruce p.s. - please e-mail me as well as respond to this posting. Bruce E. Haddad (haddad@neosoft.com) wrote: : Does anybody know of a tool that I can use to convert VMS CMS files to : sccs files? If not, how 'bout a pointer to a location that describes : the internal tags for either storage file? : If you haven't already, checked out the archives of this news group and ...

US-MI-Troy: Security Eng., Cisco IDS security, Cisco works VMS, QMS/CMM/SDP21; 7 (45297652870)
US-MI-Troy: Security Eng., Cisco IDS security, Cisco works VMS, QMS/CMM/SDP21; 7 (45297652870) ============================================================================================== Position: Security Engineer Reference: SMC01378 Location: Troy MI Duration: 7M Skills: CISCO IDS Security Skills Certifications (CISSP, CCSP and GSE). Training in Cisco IDS products is essential. Must know varied platforms, such as Widows 2000, Unix-like Appliances, Cisco Catalyst 6000, and processes and applications....

SN#17979 Updated Sun Java[TM] Web Console 2.2.6 Available
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 110 Issue 3 2007-04-16 Article 17979 from section "Sun Java System" Update Any Previous 2.x Version The Sun Java[TM] Web Console is a web application that provides a single point on entry for many of Sun's systems management applications. Updated version 2.2.6 is available for download online. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=17979 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included i...

Re: anybody out there using LISTSERV web interface on VMS?
It was suggested to me that you might try the LSTOWN-L list, a public discussion forum for LISTSERV list owners. L-Soft staff members are known to participate. http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lstown-l.html winston@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing) wrote on 05/10/2005 11:10:38 PM: > VMSers -- > > I find the generic instructions in the site maintainer's guide really > confusing. > > The manual (at www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/sitemgr/sitemgr.html#_Toc90173199 ) > says I should define WWW_ARCHIVE_CGI and WWW_ARCHIVE_DIR in the site...

Re: A- and N- series consoles #6
Duane Percox <duane@qss.COM> writes: Reported by Mathew Perdue: [two "t"'s please- Matthew] >Jeff Kell <jeff-kell@utc.edu> wrote: >>...snip... > >>Jeff (who took an hour to find the real power switch on our >>A-series) > >It's at the back... :) I think all these servers still provide power when plugged in so you can use the management access. Sidebar: On the rx2600 systems we have you can even remotely monitor the lights and power on/off since as long as they are plugged in there is power to the management boa...

VAX 11/750 and RL02
Hello all, I have a VAX 11/750 that wants to join the rest of it's brothers in a VAXCluster. I was able to dig up a QBus RL02 controller, and using a VAX 4000 I was able to install VMS 6.1 Standalone Backup to an RL02. The VAX 4000 was then able to successfully boot from this disk pack. I'm trying to use the RL02 since it is the only drive that I currently have that I can use with my QBus VAXen *and* UNIBUS Vaxen. I have a UNIBUS RL02 controller in the '750, but for some reason when attempting to boot the '750 from RL02 (b dla0) it gives an error: fc2c 06 Obviously...

US-VA-McLean: UNIX System Admin, NFS, NIS, DCL, csh, Perl, VMS, Windows; C-P (45302657613)
US-VA-McLean: UNIX System Admin, NFS, NIS, DCL, csh, Perl, VMS, Windows; C-P (45302657613) ========================================================================================== Position: UNIX System Admin Reference: SMC01429 Location: McLean VA Duration: C-P Skills: 2+yrs UNIX and LINUX System Management. Configuration of UNIX systems, system Installation, clustering and configuration, fundamentals of security, installing third_party software. Paging and swapping, inter_process communication, device...

A question about Console Apps
Hi, this problem have been making me sad for a long time.The story is a bit long,plz be patient,thanks!:P One day I want to write a remote console shell just like telnet as I'm a win32 beginner.I searched many articles,documents and open-source apps,then I found that they almost used PIPE as an IPC mechanism with child process like cmd.exe.But it cannot satisfy me for the following reasons: 1.The apps who use low level console API cannot be redirected to PIPE 2.Those Win16,Dos apps cannot as well.(Thay can display normally locally) However,Windows Telnet Server Works for...

How to run .exe file from console
Hi, I need some help Anyone could tell me how to run a .exe file from console?? For example, I have a file called A.exe, how can I execute it in the console (WinXP cmd) I have tried to use this: run A.exe but I could see this start the program however it was hidden such that i didnt see anything happen in the console but if i check teh window task manager, i found the process for this application. Anyway to show the exectution in the console?? Many thanks. system("a.exe"); "leoman730" <leoman730@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1159594432.402498.97430@i3g2000cwc....

[9fans] serial consoles vs. new motherboards
it's becoming increasingly popular for manufacturers to ship motherboards with no serial ports at all. my terminal has nonfunctional uarts. it's easy enough to add in pci(e) based serial cards. i just got a startech pex2s with 2x 16c950 uarts. unfortunately, i didn't realize that only i8250 work as consoles. this makes sense if you always get a serial console, since pci uarts are obviously not available until the pci bus has been scanned, which is much later in the boot process than the onboard uarts can be enabled. but, i don't have much choice. initially i copied the code...

rx2600 hotplug
As I write this, I'm installing OVMS v8.4 on my new rx2600. Tomorrow I'm buying a bunch of used SCSI disks. They have the SCA 80-pin hotplug connector. I've set up a meeting with the seller where I would like to test all the disks (there are 11 of them) before paying for them. Now, I won't have a lot of time to do this testing, so I'd like to have everything ready. I read somewhere that these SCSI hotplug disks can be removed and replaced without powering down the system. Does this mean I can dismount the disk, remove it physically from the server, slide in a new on...

ReloadActions from console
Hi All. How can I execute from console the command ReloadActions without using the CDE File Manager? #> /usr/dt/appconfig/appmanager/C/Desktop_Controls/Extras/ReloadActions Common Desktop Environment (CDE) action. Invoke using the File Manager Thanks. Silent wrote: > Hi All. > > How can I execute from console the command ReloadActions > without using the CDE File Manager? > > #> /usr/dt/appconfig/appmanager/C/Desktop_Controls/Extras/ReloadActions &g...

Instruction sets
All instruction sets: x86-32 x86-64 MMX MMX+ SSE SSE2 SSE3 3DNow! 3DNow!+ There are many instruction sets that are not included in Intel's processors. I would like to see also MMX+, 3DNow! and 3DNow!+ instruction sets in the Intel's forthcoming 64-bit home processor. Including those instruction sets would not rise the price of the processor very much, I think. Please Intel, could you do that for us? -- Henri Heinonen - filosofian ylioppilas fysiikasta "Henri Tapani Heinonen" <henri_heinonen@yahoo.com> kirjoitti viestiss´┐Ż:4126122e$0$6954$7b6a8dc4@news.mbnet.fi... &...

Reading Input thru console (strange error?)
I am having some problems with the following lines of code: /** Gets a move entered thru console and returns it. * @param input the move entered by user * @return returns a valid move entered by user */ private String getMove() { BufferedReader console = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in)); System.out.println("Enter a move: "); String input = console.readLine(); if (!checkMove(input)) { System.out.println("Not a valid move."); input = getMove(); } return input; } I have no idea why this code isn&#...

Turbo Basic instructions
Does anybody know where can I get the full manuals/docs for the interpreter/compiler for the Turbo Basic? In particular, I would like to find out how exactly does it use the memory, what changes are done to the system, etc... Thanks! Polbit in article 1107964944.373222.246740@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, polbit@comcast.net wrote on 2/9/2005 11:02 AM: > Does anybody know where can I get the full manuals/docs for the > interpreter/compiler for the Turbo Basic? In particular, I would like > to find out how exactly does it use the memory, what changes are done > to...

RX2600 Battery
Does anyone know off hand what type of battery goes in an IA64 RX2600? I = had a power outage today that lasted 3 seconds longer than my UPS and I = found out that the internal battery on the RX2600 was dead. Peter Weaver http://www.weaverconsulting.ca Winner of the OpenVMS.org Readers' Choice Award for System Management/Performance http://www.linkedin.com/in/peterweaver =A0=20 "Peter Weaver" <info-vax@weaverconsulting.ca> wrote in message news:mailman.10.1268088663.5520.info-vax_rbnsn.com@rbnsn.com... Does anyone know off hand what type of batter...

rx2600 and SAS
Someone just came and parked an rx2600 in my office. They are a SAS user. Is SAS going to be supported under VMS on Itanium? I expect they will be running Window(tm) otherwise, or until such time as they can run VMS/SAS. I didn't order the eval VMS Itanium kit. Can I download a CDROM image from somewhere? Many thanks. On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:46:37 +1000, Patrick Young <patrick@hilux.ace.unsw.EDU.AU> wrote: >Someone just came and parked an rx2600 in my office. > >They are a SAS user. Is SAS going to be supported under >VMS on Itanium? > >I expect they will be ru...

Re: SAS Management Console
Some of the "SAS" clients that talk to the Management Console can only use the Foundation repository. I worked on a project a few months back where we tried to do something similar (though ETL Studio was not involved). When we tried to do this we encountered some/most of the issues you describe below. When we contacted SAS, they told the project team about the issue with having to use the Foundation repository. I can't recall if SAS acknowledge where this was: - a feature; - the lack of a feature; - an oversight; or - a bug I do recall their saying something about an add-in t...

VMS Backup for Windows
Hello, Is there any freeware tool to read OpenVMS backup tapes (EXAbyte) on a Windows system? TIA and best regards R. Wingert Rudolf Wingert wrote: > Hello, > > Is there any freeware tool to read OpenVMS backup tapes (EXAbyte) on a > Windows system? > > TIA and best regards R. Wingert The sig tape announcement posted earlier today contained one for "other systems" - I don't know if this includes windows Fall 2004 VMS SIG Tape contents VMSBACKUP4-1-1.ZIP Phil Rudolf Wingert schreef: > Hello, > > Is there any freeware tool to read OpenVMS backup ...

set_termio console error message
I get these below messages on the console of a SunOS SRAP22 5.8 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4 system what problem do these below messages indicate and how do I fix it? --------------console messages---------------------- set_termio - get_ttymode failed - errno = 62 initial termio on /dev/console failed --------------console messages---------------------- This development system had been shutdown for many months. Today I booted it up and started seeing these messages on the console below is the /etc/inittab in case its helpful to diagnose ------------------------/etc/inittab-----------...

Can't read SS5 serial console with tip
Hi all, I recently bought 5 SS5s from ebay and currently do not have monitors or adapters that do 13w3. The systems seem to boot fine and after a few seconds, theres some harddisk activity meaning the basic cpu/memory system is working fine. I SHOULD get a serial console. So I got a DB25 male both ends.. laplink cable.. and have even checked the individual pinouts (15-2 13-3 etc) with a multimeter to make sure its not a straightthrough or has missing pins. My Ultra 5 desktop system has good serial ports, Ive been using them to access some cisco routers. The internal jumpers in the SS5s and t...

reset rx2600
Is there a way to reset the rx2600 to factory defaults??? I tried to boot up the install that said it was faulted (see prior post) and now I cannot talk at all to the box. -- http://www.ProvN.com for the *best* OpenVMS system security solutions that others only claim to be. -- Cyber-Terrorism (si'-ber tayr'-or-iz-em) n.: The release of, the sale of, or the use of any Micro$oft software product! -- VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM This is may be an easy answer or a hard one. First which console are you usi...

ANN: Urwid 0.9.0
Announcing Urwid 0.9.0 ---------------------- Urwid home page: http://excess.org/urwid/ Tarball: http://excess.org/urwid/urwid-0.9.0.tar.gz Screenshots: http://excess.org/urwid/utf8examples.html About this release: =================== This is the first release of Urwid with UTF-8 input and display support. A new raw_display module was added to enable UTF-8 display. This module also fixes the "dead corner" in the bottom right of the screen and improves legibility of bright text in some terminals. New in this release: ==================== - Ne...

For sale: HP Integrity rx2600 parts (various)
If you're looking for something, I have a lot of rx2600 spares that I probably won't be needing anymore. I even have an entire rx2600 System Board (motherboard; which I've tested and works, you would probably get UUID errors at most in the EFI environment, but you can still manually boot up operating systems), processor-cooler and VRM assemblies, Intel Itanium 2 "Madison" at 1500 MHz with 6 MB cache (SL6XF), slimline DVD- ROM drive, airflow guides/baffles, iLO/MP card, 2 & 4 GB PC2100 ECC- registered DDR-SDRAM memory kits and more. If there's something you're...