rx2600 console VMS instructions

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set up
the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.

I'm having terrible luck finding anything with Google.
0
Reply Snowshoe 4/7/2010 2:16:18 AM

See related articles to this posting

Snowshoe wrote:
> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set up
> the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.

I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
0
Reply Malcolm 4/7/2010 2:34:57 AM

Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> Snowshoe wrote:
>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe)  No management processor.
>>

> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.

Sorry to follow up my own reply, but in case more detail is needed:

  - boot the VMS installation DVD using the built-in "boot DVD" console
option. Use a serial terminal/emulator on the console serial port. Set
the boot options to use the serial port for console input/output/error.
VMS won't boot properly if the graphics console is enabled.

   - Once the DVD boots (takes maybe 5-10 minutes) you'll see a menu.
One of the options is "Execute DCL commands". Select that option.

   - Once you get the DCL prompt do "sysgen io auto" to make sure dkb0
is configured and visible (can't remember if this is required for SCSI
disks to show up - it is for fibrechannel disks).

   - do a "sho dev d" and make sure you can see DKB0:

   - do "@sys$manager:boot_options" - the prompts from there should be
pretty straightforward

(sorry if this is stuff you already knew - better too much information
than not enough)
0
Reply Malcolm 4/7/2010 2:43:35 AM

On Apr 7, 3:43=A0am, Malcolm Dunnett <noth...@spammers.are.scum> wrote:
> Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> > Snowshoe wrote:
> >> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
> >> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
> >> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) =A0No management processor.
>
> > I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and the=
> > use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
>
> Sorry to follow up my own reply, but in case more detail is needed:
>
> =A0 - boot the VMS installation DVD using the built-in "boot DVD" console
> option. Use a serial terminal/emulator on the console serial port. Set
> the boot options to use the serial port for console input/output/error.
> VMS won't boot properly if the graphics console is enabled.
>
> =A0 =A0- Once the DVD boots (takes maybe 5-10 minutes) you'll see a menu.
> One of the options is "Execute DCL commands". Select that option.
>
> =A0 =A0- Once you get the DCL prompt do "sysgen io auto" to make sure dkb=
0
> is configured and visible (can't remember if this is required for SCSI
> disks to show up - it is for fibrechannel disks).
>
> =A0 =A0- do a "sho dev d" and make sure you can see DKB0:
>
> =A0 =A0- do "@sys$manager:boot_options" - the prompts from there should b=
> pretty straightforward
>
> (sorry if this is stuff you already knew - better too much information
> than not enough)

See the fine manual

http://docs.hp.com/en/BA322-90077/apa.html

0
Reply IanMiller 4/7/2010 9:30:37 AM

On 4/6/2010 10:34 PM, Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> Snowshoe wrote:
>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) No management processor.
>>

> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.

Thanks!  I missed that. I was trying to find the rx2600 console
commands to do so before booting anything, not something from within
VMS.
0
Reply Snowshoe 4/8/2010 8:35:28 PM

"Snowshoe" <no@spam.please> wrote in message
> On 4/6/2010 10:34 PM, Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
>> Snowshoe wrote:
>>> Could someone please point me to a webpage that describes how to set
>>> up the Integrity console of an rx2600 to automatically boot VMS from a
>>> drive (which VMS calls DKB0:, I believe) No management processor.
>>>

>> I've found the easiest way is to boot the VMS installation disk and then
>> use @sys$manager:boot_options to add dkb0: as a boot option.
>
> Thanks!  I missed that. I was trying to find the rx2600 console
> commands to do so before booting anything, not something from within
> VMS.

From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
and modify the entries in the boot menu.

John

0
Reply John 4/8/2010 9:34:33 PM

John Reagan wrote:

> From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
> and modify the entries in the boot menu.

  What is the proper syntax for creating boot flags using this method?

  I've tried to, for example, set a disk to boot from root 1 using this
method but it ended up booting from root 0. I presume it's something to
do with how I entered the flags or whether they should be ASCII or Binary.

That's why I recommended going the somewhat longer but more "user
friendly" route of booting the install DVD and using the BOOT_CONFIG
procedure.
0
Reply Malcolm 4/9/2010 2:35:55 PM

In article <4bbf3b4e$1@flight>, Malcolm Dunnett <nothome@spammers.are.scum> writes:
>John Reagan wrote:
>

>> From the EFI shell,  'bcfg' (aka Boot ConFiGure) is the command to examine
>> and modify the entries in the boot menu.
>
>  What is the proper syntax for creating boot flags using this method?

"-FL root,bootflags"

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

  http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

Read all about their schemes and adventuring.  It's well worth a fee.  So roll
 up and see, how they rape the universe;  How they've gone from bad to worse.
Who are these men of lust, greed, and glory?  Rip off the masks and let's see.

0
Reply VAXman 4/9/2010 3:26:41 PM
comp.os.vms 20844 articles. 11 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

VMS Alpha Console (VGA)
VMS 8.3, DS10L, Radeon 7500 card. When DECW$SERVER crashes, the display returns to the VMS provided console. (the one with the white-on black title at the bottom). When this happen, the screen goes to a 720*400 resolution (or it may be 700*24) Definitely not 640*480. Also, the monitor needs to be recalibrated because the "window" is improperly positioned in the imagable area (aka: text is shiften to the left and first column is not visible). "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:925cd$45759daf$cef8887a$2583@TEKSAVVY.COM... > VMS ...

IDE drive in RX2600 under VMS
I've got an RX2600 I picked up at an IDF a while back. Given the availability (finally, yay!) of hobbyist licenses, I'm about to get it off the ground again. I'm sure it's got an acceptable IDE controller in it, to run the DVD drive. I was wondering, then, if adding an IDE hard drive (Yes, I know- but it's a hobbyist box) could be done? Anyone tried? -- Dean Woodward =o&o dean.woodward@gmail.com DeanW wrote: > I've got an RX2600 I picked up at an IDF a while back. Given the > availability (finally, yay!) of hobbyist licenses, I'm about to get it >...

OT: VMS Console Monitoring
Slightly off topic anyway. I have a need for a console monitor for VMS that will monitor messages that do not become part of the system message log. I know there are other VMS users on the list so I thought I would throw this out here. TIA Dave * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Latest VMS BootCamp instructions forum
Sue, you said: > PLEASE PLEASE have the latest anti-virus software update put on your > laptop's, we have noticed that people share a lot of files and we are > so used to VMS that we assume security. Is McAfee a good software to HP's eyes, or should I remove it and put bad old standard Norton back on my HP laptop? Regards D. PRSTSC::DTL -- Didier MORANDI - Expert informaticien - VMS / SAP 13 chemin du Gu�, 1213 Petit-Lancy (GE) Suisse T�l. : +33(0)6 7983 6418 ~ www.didiermorandi.com In article <429d441c$0$16642$626a14ce@news.free.fr>, Didier Morandi <preno...

RX2600 hangs (VMS 8.3)
I have an rx2600 (dual 1.4GHz/1.5MB CPUs) which has been happily running VMS for several years. It's at 8.3 with VMS83I_UPDATE4 and VMS83I_SYS4 (along with a few other) patches installed. It's running Oracle 10.2.0.2 server as its only application. This morning at around 4am it "stopped cold". No crash dump, no errors in the system error log, nothing untoward in the OPERATOR log, no error messages on the console. The other cluster nodes simply report losing communication to it at that time. Unfortunately in the heat of the moment to get it going again this morning I d...

VMS VGA console sync problem
Environment: DS10L , VMS 8.3. Radeon 7500 card. NEC Multisync 1980SX display. (LCD). Compaq LK462-AC keyboard. During the booting process, VMS seems to replace the VGA support. The screen is "redrawn" and a new font applied. Normally, one doesn't place much attention to this since once DECW starts, this temporary console mode goes away. However, the problem becomes visible if you crash DECW and the dispay reverts to that console mode and you start to use it (in VT52 mode). The NEC LCD display is unable to adjust to the VMS loaded VGA console. None of the buttons to adjus...

trouble compiling instruction: console.puts(...
I'm reading the AoA by Randy Hyde. In the chapter called "IntegerArithmetic" he has a program called "testRandom" that illustrates the use of the rand.range and rand.urange functions. What this program does is prints a number of asterisks on your screen in a random pattern. I thought I'd go ahead and run the program just to see what it looks like. The code didn't seem very difficult. However, I cannot compile the program. When I try I get the following error: ============ Error in file "testRandom.hla" at line 22 [errid:55234/hlaparse.bsn...

pws600au vms startup console output
The recent thread about getting back to SRM from alphabios on the PWS433 reminded me of a console problem I have had forever on the 600au. I have only serial lines connected to my two PWS 600au machines, which feed into a decserver. There is no graphics monitor. I use set host/dte to get to the consoles, and the SRM consoles are set to "serial". I am able to boot the machines, but for some reason I don't see the boot messages from VMS. The last line I see is "jumping to bootstrap code". Yet the machine actually does boot. If I wait a few minutes, I can hit ...

RX2600 itaium: acces EFI console from OS ??
hi all, i've to re-install hp-ux on a rx2600 that runs 11.23i at the moment. but the problem i have is that i dont have the management card serial cable with those tree 9pin serial lines (ups/terminal/console) so i try to connect via standard serial port onboard. but it seems within EFI there had just that MP based console been actived and not the standard console.. is there any way to start EFI from the runnung UX ? or is there any other trick to switch the default console back to the standard onboard one ? thanks in advance !!! cheers joerg Joerg Mauz <Joerg_MauzREMOVETHIS...

Re: pws600au vms startup console output
Wayne Sewell was overheard to say: > The recent thread about getting back to SRM from alphabios on the PWS433 > reminded me of a console problem I have had forever on the 600au. > > I have only serial lines connected to my two PWS 600au machines, which > feed into a decserver. There is no graphics monitor. > > I use set host/dte to get to the consoles, and the SRM consoles are set > to "serial". > > I am able to boot the machines, but for some reason I don't see the boot > messages from VMS. The last line I see is "jumping to bootstr...

New vms install, problem with serial console opa0
I have just installed vax-vms 7.3 using my hobbyist disk. I am running the vax through the simh emulator on windows. I always get logged in through opa0: which thinks it's a serial line (an la36 device actually). I need to start the emulator and boot and login through a device that allows graphics. It doesn't seem apparent on how to do that. I can't telnet into the environment yet. Any help would be appreciated! rcwood0000@yahoo.com (Roy C Wood) wrote in message news:<22e43e71.0407081158.2f69b0b8@posting.google.com>... > I have just installed vax-vms 7.3 using m...

help with RX2600/VMS 8.2FT setup please?
I finally got my $1495 RX2600 and VMS 8.2 FT kit. The good news is I managed to get VMS installed on it and it seems to be running fine. I have a couple of questions though that hopefully someone out there can help with: - The "system" light on the front is flashing amber about once/second. The manual says this indicates a failure and to check the error status LEDs beside it - but they're all off. As noted above, the system appears to be working. - I was surprised to see that FMS is on the FT kit ( I didn't think it was scheduled quite this soon ). Unfortunately th...

Re: pws600au vms startup console output #2
From: Wayne Sewell <wayne@tachysoft.com> > Yep, turns out it's TTA0, not OPA0. See my response to David Sneddon. > > The question is why you are allowed to boot from TTA0 at all. It was _helping_ you. Some people will complain if they're hanged with a new rope. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steven M. Schweda (+1) 651-699-9818 382 South Warwick Street sms@antinode-org Saint Paul MN 55105-2547 Steven M. Schweda wrote: > From: Wayne Sewell <wayne@tachysoft.com> > >>Yep...

Re: New vms install, problem with serial console opa0
> [...] simh emulator on windows. [...] I need to start the emulator and > boot and login through a device that allows graphics. SIMH doesn't emulate the graphics hardware like a VAXstation. Instead, get TCP/IP working first. Then, use a X-windows server (Reflection, Hummingbird, XFree86, etc.) to connect via TCP/IP. If you need a whole login session on VMS (instead of individual graphics terminals), that requires just a little more VMS magic, which I can't remember at the moment. It's also possible to transport graphics across DECnet or LAT, but current Windows X ...

RX2600 VMS 8.4 keeps asking for the time at boot
Hi, When I boot VMS 8.4 on my RX2600 it asks me for the time and it was last booted only yesterday. Is there some battery I have to replace? Lovely YouTube video? Cheers Richard Maher On May 22, 5:50=A0pm, Richard Maher <maher_rjSPAML...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > When I boot VMS 8.4 on my RX2600 it asks me for the time and it was last > booted only yesterday. > > Is there some battery I have to replace? Lovely YouTube video? > > Cheers Richard Maher http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01868329/c0= 1868329.p...

Re: help with RX2600/VMS 8.2FT setup please?
At 06:31 PM 12/14/2004, Hoff Hoffman wrote: > I've been using a VT320 as a console for quite some time, and it > works just fine -- some of the older rx2600 firmware was a little > flakey with the console handling of the serial terminal display, > but I've not noticed any particular weirdness with any of the > recent firmware. > > If you hit anything weird in the handling of the terminal display, > do please let us know and we'll pass it along to the proper folks. > (We could use the command(s) needed to reproduce the display error, > ...

[VMS V7.3-2/AMDS/AVAILMAN] AVAILMAN installation deletes AMDS$CONSOLE.EXE
I use AVAILMAN (JAVA/Alpha based) and AMDS (MOTIF/VAX/Alpha based) on my systems for a long time now (ok, AMDS much longer than AVAILMAN) but was quite surprised today. I thought, the two products do the same thing with different methods and can coexist on the same Alpha. At least that was my impression of the last years. And I use them both. I installed AVAILMAN and AMDS on my Alphas and all was right. But today I tried on another Alpha to use AMDS and found AMDS$CONSOLE.EXE missing. After some seconds I found out, that the AVAILMAN installation deleted the AMDS$CONSOLE.EXE on this system (...

RE: Cerner hopefully is using Zotob to show why hospitals should run VMS! VMS! VMS! run VMS! VMS! VMS! run VMS! VMS! VMS!
> -----Original Message----- > From: Alan Greig [mailto:greigaln@netscape.net]=20 > Sent: August 21, 2005 7:51 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Cerner hopefully is using Zotob to show why=20 > hospitals should run VMS! VMS! VMS! run VMS! VMS! VMS! run=20 > VMS! VMS! VMS! >=20 >=20 >=20 > Main, Kerry wrote: >=20 > >=20 > > And you reminded me that Spybot anti-spyware utility has=20 > the capability > > to write protect the host/lmhost file on a windows box and protct > > against crap like this worm making chgs. >=20...

RE: Cerner hopefully is using Zotob to show why hospitals should run VMS! VMS! VMS! run VMS! VMS! VMS! run VMS! VMS! VMS! #2
> -----Original Message----- > From: Alan Greig [mailto:greigaln@netscape.net]=20 > Sent: August 21, 2005 10:41 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Cerner hopefully is using Zotob to show why=20 > hospitals should run VMS! VMS! VMS! run VMS! VMS! VMS! run=20 > VMS! VMS! VMS! >=20 >=20 >=20 > bob@instantwhip.com wrote: >=20 > > you can on vms because vms doesn't get viruses ... >=20 > If passwords and systems are insecure any system can get=20 > attacked. Have=20 > you ever heard of the infamous VMS WANK (Worms Against=20 >...

[VMS] Several VMS manuals - Guide to DCL / System procedures etc - VMS V4.nn / VMS 5.0
Hello I am clearing out my office and have found 2 ring binders containing the following manuals for VMS 4.0 / 4.4 Ring binder one Interdiction to VAX/ VMS system routines - AA-Z500B-TE (april 86) VAX/VMS Command Definition Utility reference Manual AA-Z408A-TE (Sept 1984) Guide to VMS text processing (formatting files with DSR) Ring binder two Guide to using VMS Command Procedures AA-LA11A-TE (VMS 5.0 dated April 1988) VMS DCL Concepts Manual AA-LT10A-TE (VMS 5.0 dated April 1988) and separate manuals as follows - all are for VMS 5.0 VMS Command definition manual VMS com...

How to create a VMS PDF file from a VMS text file and an image (signature) on VMS?
I was searching on the NET about this. Does anyone know that the GPL (From GNU project) can do this. Any comments is appreciated. David circepb@optonline.net wrote: > > I was searching on the NET about this. text2pdf can be used. If you look at the archives, there is a fairly regular announcement of its availability for VMS. If this is not able to do what you need, then you can build a fairly standard postscript prologue that processes a text file, and then feed that to GHOSTSCRIPT which is able to produce PDF files as output. In article <m5f4c2pdp2oeldsa84ov87unakn2378c4a@4ax...

Ops Console to Physical Console
I'm considering switching our 400's console from Operations Console via the IBM-supplied serial cable, to a physical console. We have the physical console available in the office along with the twinax cable, etc. What will I need to do to make the change over? What should be checked ahead of time? TIA crystal1 wrote: > I'm considering switching our 400's console from Operations Console via > the IBM-supplied serial cable, to a physical console. We have the > physical console available in the office along with the twinax cable, etc. > > What will I need t...

VMS to VMS copying between Nodes
Hi Folks, With Decnet running I could do Node to Node VMS copying easily (did it use LAT?) with the copy command and specifying a remote node - it was neat. With only TCP/IP this doesn't work for me, it just says 'remote node unknown'. Does anyone know how to make it work with TCP/IP? Am I trying the wrong thing here? Thanks in advance Simon In article <b2d9b89e.0401070723.2a440932@posting.google.com>, simon.adaway@ukaea.org.uk (Simon) writes: > > With Decnet running I could do Node to Node VMS copying easily (did it > use LAT?) with the copy command and specify...

Attach the console, but only if run from console
I have a windows application and I would like to print some output to the console. But I want to do it only if my application has been run from console. I don't want to create new console window, I want to attach console output to this particular console window. Doable? -- Grzegorz Wr�bel http://www.4neurons.com/ 677265676F727940346E6575726F6E732E636F6D * Grzegorz Wr�bel: > I have a windows application and I would like to print some output to > the console. But I want to do it only if my application has been run > from console. I don't want to create new co...