Setting up my NIC for Gb Ethernet traffic.

      I am trying to acheive Gb-level throughput from TSM client
(ABClient) running on my VMS system (ES40) to a MainFrame (OS390) which
is the TSM Server.      My VMS Version is 7.3-2, and my TCPIP stack is
TCPIP Services for OpenVMS Version 5.4, ECO 5, (+ the 5+8 patch kit).

     My NIC is a 10/100/1000 Adapter and I am linking up with the
network switch OK at that speed and with full duplex enabled and
functioning.      I have enable JUMBO Frames on this NIC using

$ mc lancp set dev /jumbo EWB0

I do this right after DECNet starts, but before TCPIP Starts,  Is this
the correct place to do this.

$ mc lancp show dev ewb0 /char

 Device Characteristics EWB0:
                  Value  Characteristic
                  -----  --------------
                   1500  Device buffer size
                 Normal  Controller mode
               External  Internal loopback mode
      00-10-18-10-00-5E  Hardware LAN address
                         Multicast address list
                CSMA/CD  Communication medium
      FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF  Current LAN address
                    128  Minimum receive buffers
                    256  Maximum receive buffers
                   Yes  Full duplex enable
                    Yes  Full duplex operational
            TwistedPair  Line media type
                   1000  Line speed (mbps)
    Disabled/No Failset  Logical LAN state
                      0  Failover priority
LANCP>

I am concerned that the Device buffer size shown above still reads
1500.      Is this to be expected for what I am trying to do.

Viewing the interface with ifconfig seems to indicate that we are set
up OK, "ipmtu 9000"

MILL03$SYSMGR>> ifconfig we1WE1:
flags=c43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,SIMPLEX>    *inet xx.xx.x.xxx
netmask ffff0000 broadcast xx.xx.255.255 ipmtu 9000

     Basically, I am trying to confirm that I have done everything that
I need to do on my own system, before I start pointing fingers.
My network people tell me that they have enabled Jumbo Frames on all
the devices in the path from me to the mainframe.

Does anyone see anything that I might be missing.

e.g. I noticed that there are some Console Environment variables that
appear to relate to NIC's, can anyone shed any light on those.

thanks

Dave.

comp.os.vms 21302 articles. 13 followers. Post Follow

I suspect that you need to enable Jumbo frames before starting DECnet (and
maybe before starting SCS if this is a cluster).

The SYSGEN parameter LAN_FLAGS (bit 6) should enable Jumbo frames. LANCP
DEFINE might be a good thing too. Unfortunately my test systems are out of
service at the moment, so I can't check this.

--

Hope this helps, Colin.
colin DOT butcher AT xdelta DOT co DOT uk

dave.baxter@bannerhealth.com writes:

> e.g. I noticed that there are some Console Environment variables that
> appear to relate to NIC's, can anyone shed any light on those.

As Colin correctly stated in an earlier reply, please set bit six in
the sysgen param LAN_FLAGS.  As that parameter is likely 0 now, the
value to which it should be set is 64 (decimal).

You should set your ethernet card to auto-negotiate at the console level.
All modern LAN drivers supplied by VMS should correctly autonegotiate, assuming
a correctly-behaving switch.  If it doesn't, please let us know!

You should not need to set *anything* within LANCP to get jumbo frames
working.

Please post the output of

SCACP> SHOW LAN

once you've set LAN_FLAGS = 64 and rebooted.

Note that in VMS V8.3, $ SHOW DEVICE /FULL has been enhanced for
LAN devices . . .

SISKO Alpha> sho dev/full ewb0

Device EWB0:, device type DEGPA, is online, network device, error logging is
    enabled, device is a template only.

    Error count                    1    Operations completed                  0
    Owner process                 ""    Owner UIC                      [SYSTEM]
    Owner process ID        00000000    Dev Prot              S:RWPL,O:RWPL,G,W
    Reference count                0    Default buffer size                 512
    Current preferred CPU Id       1    Fastpath                              1

Operating characteristics: Link up, Full duplex, Autonegotiation, Jumbo frames.

    Speed (Mbits/sec)           1000
    Def. MAC addr  00-60-6D-21-1E-DF    Current MAC addr      00-60-6D-21-1E-DF

--

Rob Brooks    VMS Engineering -- Exec Group     brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com
0

Dave

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:29:23 -0700, <dave.baxter@bannerhealth.com> wrote=
:

  =

>> (and
>> maybe before starting SCS if this is a cluster).
>>
>> The SYSGEN parameter LAN_FLAGS (bit 6) should enable Jumbo frames. LA=
NCP
>> DEFINE might be a good thing too. Unfortunately my test systems are o=
ut  =

>> of
>> service at the moment, so I can't check this.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hope this helps, Colin.
>> colin DOT butcher AT xdelta DOT co DOT uk
>> It's not mine, but I like this definition: Legacy =3D stuff that work=
s.

BTW, I have 3 DEGPA-SA cards which I don't need, if anyone is interested=
,
before I put them on ebay, send me a mail offline
Tom
0
tom284 (1839)
6/21/2006 9:38:36 PM
Shouldn't be an issue. AFAIK then if the board and switch can agree on Jumbo
frames then they will do so, else they'll fall back to normal ethernet sized
frames. So, setting bit 6 in LAN_FLAGS (AND in x40 [decimal 64]) is a
sensible 'default'. Alternatively LANCP DEFINE <device>/JUMBO will ensure
that it's set it on a per NIC basis.

--

Colin Butcher <colin_DOT.butcher_AT@xdelta_dot.co_dot.uk> wrote:
> Shouldn't be an issue. AFAIK then if the board and switch can agree
> on Jumbo frames then they will do so, else they'll fall back to
> normal ethernet sized frames.

Is there really a negotiation for JumboFrame?  My recollection is that
there is not.  Are you perhaps thinking of TCP MSS exchange between
_hosts_ where when both ends are JumboFrame enabled, they will
exchange the larger MSS, but if one is not the connection falls-back
to the "standard" MSS?

rick jones
There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision.  - Jobert
rick.jones2 (1133)

uitable: add new rows and set name for last row
Hi! I want to add new rows at the end of an uitable and set the name for this new row. So far,I am able to add new rows to my uitable with following code: data = get(handles.uitable3,'data'); newRowdata = cat(1,data,cell(1,size(data,2))); set(handles.uitable3,'data',newRowdata); guidata(hObject,handles); But how can I change the name only of the LAST row? Thanks for help, Mario On 08/09/2014 3:15 PM, Mario wrote: > Hi! > > I want to add new rows at the end of an uitable and set the name for > this new row. So far,I am able to add new rows to my...

Setting up X on FreeBSD?
This is just kind of a general question. I've done this before in past flirts with FreeBSD, but I couldn't get it right last night for some reason. I'm wondering how easy others find this to be, getting X with a GDM or something like that going. I couldn't get GDM going at all and KDM got hung after logging in. So I'm a little worried. I'm trying to switch from SuSE to FreeBSD. I've used FreeBSD in the past with little trouble, but this time around (4.9) for some reason I'm having trouble with getting X setup right. ...

Set processor core affinity to a thread
Hello, Is there anyway I can set up a thread to run on a specific processor core? say on Windows XP. (any other windows OS?). Is there a direct API which can do this? If not is there some other indirect way to achieve this? Thanks persres <persres@googlemail.com> writes: > Is there anyway I can set up a thread to run on a specific > processor core? say on Windows XP. (any other windows OS?). > Is there a direct API which can do this? If not is there some other > indirect way to achieve this? You can use SetThreadAffinityMask to limit which CPUs or cores ...

Setting column order in JTable
I've been battling with this all afternoon, time for help! I have my intended set of indexes eg 0, 4, 2, 1, 3 How do I apply them to my newly created table which has my own table model applied to it? Here are some pokings about I've tried: DefaultTableColumnModel model = new DefaultTableColumnModel(); JTableHeader tableHead = table.getTableHeader(); for (int c = 0; c < columnCount; c++) { //TableColumn column = table.getColumnModel().getColumn(c); //column.setModelIndex(order[c]); TableColumn column = new TableColumn(order[c]); column.setHeaderValue(tabl...

Nexus-7 and MAC address controlled Wi-Fi
When setting up a new Nexus-7, access to the Internet is required. However, you need to know the device's MAC address before you can connect to a MAC-address controlled Wi-Fi system. But, until the device is sewt up, you cannot use the Setting menu to find the MAC address, and it's not printed on the device or on the box. Crazy! (Yes, I found a way round this by disabling access control on the network, but that should not have been necessary. I thought you might like to know.) -- Cheers, David Web: http://www.satsignal.eu In news:l29sck$fva$1@dont-email.me Da...

Re: Matching records from data set one with records from data set #3
ec@SELVMORDSFORSKNING.DK wrote: >Hi > >I need to match records from data set one with records from data set two. I >can only match records from data set two to a single record in data set >one. >Therefore i need to delete the record in data set two or show that it has >been used, and thererfore can not be used again. Have do i do that? > >I have been trying some thing like this: > >Data newdataset; > set one; > found=0; > do i=1 to nobs until (found); > set two point=i nobs=nobs; > if var1=var2 (the matching criteria) ...

How do I preserve my display (brightness) setting?
Hi, I'm using Mac 10.6.3. Whenever I arrive in the morning, the brightness setting of the display is always turned down, even though I turned it all the way up the day before. How do I preserve this setting from day to day (between restarts)? - Dave In article <021c0b60-9566-4a56-a0f0-d49db0e48f73@u12g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>, "laredotornado@zipmail.com" <laredotornado@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I'm using Mac 10.6.3. Whenever I arrive in the morning, the > brightness setting of the display is always turned down, even though I > turned it ...

how to set disk quotas in raid for linux
Hello groups i am looking up for seting disk quotas in raid for a linuz box.I donot know how to set the disk quotas in raid,so can u please assist me how to do it.Is there a documentation about that,if so where can i get it, Thanks in advance, Bye. Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:36:08 -0700 tarihinde, rockwell dedi ki: > Hello groups i am looking up for seting disk quotas in raid for a > linuz box.I donot know how to set the disk quotas in raid,so can u > please assist me how to do it.Is there a documentation about that,if > so where can i get it, RAID has nothing to do with disk quotas. R...

logging module -> Miss messages if don't flush constantly? How set to flush constantly?
It looks like I can miss some logging messages if I don't flush after every one....is that true? This is an issue when program crashes so that logger didn't get a chance to print everything. Is there some way to set logging to constantly flush? Chris Seberino wrote: > It looks like I can miss some logging messages if I don't flush after > every one....is that true? As far as I can tell from the 2.6 source the StreamHandler does flush after each record. Peter ...

Re: How to filter sas data sets into separate sas data sets #6
First off, you don't need two set statements, I suspect you want a merge. (remember to sort datasets before merging) Data newlist (KEEP=node1 node2 node3 ... var15) Otherds (Keep=node1 node2 node3 .... var15) ; Merge sasds1 sasds2; By ;/*not sure which variable you need, but there has to be something that is the same between the two*/ What I'd really need to know is what are the field names in DS1 and DS2 (You described them but didn't tell us the names) You will possibly need a REANME= statement to get a matching name to merge by. Either read up more on merges and REN...

Earth Simulator instruction set ?
Can anyone tell me what the Earth Simulator instruction set is like ? I had _assumed_ that it was SX like, but someone else is asserting that it's a MIPS ISA with the added vector units. I couldn't find anything definitive with googleto settle the discussion :-( Thanks -- -- Jim James Cownie <jcownie@etnus.com> Etnus, LLC. +44 117 9071438 http://www.etnus.com In article <GufLb.9883$9M4.109354178@news-text.cableinet.net>, James Cownie <jcownie@etnus.com> wrote: >Can anyone tell me what the Earth Simulator instruction set is like ? >I had _assumed_ tha...

8 Pcs Brake Tool Set # ATE-4105
Price:$64.99 Image: http://discountadvisor.info/image.php?id=B001700GWO Best deal: http://discountadvisor.info/index.php?id=B001700GWO Contains The Most Popular Brake Tools Used For Servicing Drum Brakes On Many Import & Domestic VehiclesThree Different Style Brake Spoons: For adjusting Drum BrakesFive Diffrent Brake Spring Tools: For servicing drum brake shoes- Contains:1 Pc Brake Spring Pliers1 Pc Brake Spring Removal Tool (Fits 5/8" Diameter Spring)1 Pc Brake Spring Removel Tool (Fits Many Import Vehicles)1 Pc Brake Return Spring Removal Tool1 Pc Brake Spring Remov...

Setting up VPN through Cisco 1721 and firewall
I'm fairly new to routing, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Network is configured as follows: Inside Network -> Watchguard Firewall -> Cisco 1721 -> Internet I need to setup VPN access using a Windows server, on our inside network (10.10.1.0). All NAT is done through the Firewall, and then routed to the 1721. We have a range of public IP addresses we can use. I've set up VPN on the server, and setup a port forwarding on the firewall for 1723 to our server (10.10.1.254). What I need help on is this: What do I need to do now so that somebody attempting to connec...

Converting a set to sequence?
Hi, just another query: is it possible to convert a set to sequence? The order of the elements does not matter. Michael Michael wrote: > is it possible to > convert a set to sequence? The order of > the elements does not matter. If S is the set then you need only do op(S); Preben Alsholm Thanks! That it, Michael Preben Alsholm wrote: > If S is the set then you need only do > > op(S); > > Preben Alsholm ...

How to Set Up Regression Model in SAS?
Hi all- There may be a very easy answer to this, but I just can't seem to figure it out... I want to test a regression model where the dependent variable is NOT at the "individual" level. I want to create a model to predict, for instance, quality of health (QOH) at the state level, not "individual" level by socio-economic status (SES) at the state level. Let's say I have data on 20 states, here's what the dataset would look like: Participant State SES_level_at_subj_level SES_at_state_level QOH_at_subj_level QOH_at_state_level 1 ...

Ethernet switch chip
Hi everyone, the 10/100 Ethernet switch chips have become commodity, I want to know which are the popular ones. I have found some with PHY buffering included etc., I just want to know which parts are easy to find, which are made by > 1 source etc. I am looking into 5-port switches. Any shared experience greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dimiter ------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments http://www.tgi-sci.com ------------------------------------------------------ The Davicom DM9000 or DM9010 are very common, and have PHY+M...

How to set a COM Object property to TRUE
Hello, I am trying to set a WIN32 COM Object bool property true to enable a validation option. I can do it in VB like so. emailPtr.CorrectSyntax = True How do I do it in PERL? I have tried so many different things to no avail. $emailObj->{MxLookup} = (TRUE); $emailObj->{MxLookup} = $TRUE; $emailObj->{MxLookup} = 1; $emailObj->{MxLookup} = TRUE; Can anyone help? bmw108@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I am trying to set a WIN32 COM Object bool property true to enable a > validation option. > > I can do it in VB like so. > > emailPtr.CorrectSyntax = T...

help set host/scsi
I use this to talk to the HSG80 controllers, why no HELP, it's been arou= nd for a while? HAFNER> sear sys$update:set.cld dbm150/win=3D2 ! X-47 DBM150 David B. Miller 12-Jan-1996 ! Add SET HOST/SCSI for StorageWorks Tom Linden wrote: > > I use this to talk to the HSG80 controllers, why no HELP, it's been around > for a while? > > HAFNER> sear sys$update:set.cld dbm150/win=2 > ! X-47 DBM150 David B. Miller 12-Jan-1996 > ! Add SET HOST/SCSI for StorageWorks Has not been officia...

Omit observations from transaction data set
Hi, I am using an update statement to replace the value of the variable "year" in my master data set by the value of "year" in my transaction data set. The transaction data set contains a few observations which are not in the master data set. I am not interested in including these observations in the new data set. Is it possible to omit these somehow? data temp; update master transaction; by a b c; run; Thanks, Helle Helle, Rather than update, try using modify. Check out the documentation for modify, specifically the differences between output and replace and ...

setting gradient
I was trying to set a gradient for an objective fucntion. If i am not mistaken the gradient is the first order derivative (partial) of the objective function. I have tried a few of it but could not succeed. I checked it with the DerivativesCheck 'on'. COuld anyone help me with the possible gradient for the following objective function. F = w(CTX.nAssets+1)+(1/CTX.J)*(1/(1-CTX.beta))*sum(max(-w(i)*CTX.RT(:,i)'-w(CTX.nAssets+1),0)); here w is used as function variable and the others are more or less fixed values which are set in as inputs. Thanks... THe issue is still open. Could...

Binding TCP/IP to LAN Nic's
With a fresh install of Wondows 2000 Pro, I cant seem to find a way to bind tcp/ip to the LAN. DHCP is enabled and the wireless card works perfectly with correct ip address. ICS sharing is enabled. The LAN #2 when checking the ip address is a 169.154.x.x which I read is because it is asigned with APIPA due to not being able to detect the dhcp server. Is the tcp/ip bound correctly. Below a gif of LAN #2 adaptors & bindings window and shows bound! Any help please... David... http://img126.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img126&image=bindings3tx.gif DHCP enabled... First http...

Setting and more Settings
I have a Epson 4990 and a spyder2 express. The Epson twain configuration allows me to set color control in one of three ways 1. continuous auto exposure. on this option you must set a gamma value from 1.0 to 3.0 (in 0.1 increments) 2. ICM With a source and a target. The source is locked as (EPSON standard) The target has a choice of monitorRGB or sRGB 3. No color correction What would be the best choice for the above options ? Also, given the fact that I am using the spyder2 to load Monitor calibration settings into my video card at windows ...

HP 4150 B, HD with more than 20 GB ..
Hello, is there anybody out their who can tell me if it is posible to connect an new HD with more than 20 GB to an HP 4150 B laptop. I have a spare HD-holder and want to install a 40 GB (maybe even 60 GB) HD. On the HP-Site i didn't found any information. My BIOS is the newest for this product, but that means it is from late 1999. Every useful information would be fine. Rbert On the seventh day, Robert Madloch wrote... > Hello, > > is there anybody out their who can tell me if it is posible to connect > an new HD with more than 20 GB to an HP 4150 B laptop. > > I...

How to set bash IFS to default?
If I do OLDIFS=IFS IFS=":" .... do stuff IFS=OLDIFS it works as expected. If at the end I set IFS=" \t\n" then IFS is not correctly reset and redirection fails: LOGFILEPATH=/var/log LOGFILE=${LOGFILEPATH}/logging echo "status" >> ${LOGFILE} gives ambiguous redirect. If the logfile name doesn't have an n in it works OK. However doing this interactively works OK. What is the correct way of setting IFS to space tab newline? Dan Pidcock wrote: [...] > If at the end I set > IFS=" \t\n" > then IFS is not correctly reset and redirecti...

Algorithm to combine or-sets of and-sets, where each element of an and-set is an or-set of and-sets
As part of an abduction procedure, see http://code.google.com/p/biohacker/source/browse/trunk/BPS/ltms/abduction.lisp if interested, I need to efficiently solve the following problem: Given an or-set of and-sets, for example, (:OR (:AND A B C) (:AND D E A)) and given a dictionary, where each element of an and-set is listed, with another or-set of and-sets as value, for example, A -> (:OR (:AND 1 2) (:AND 3 4)) B -> (:OR (:AND 2 3) (:AND 4)) C -> (:OR (:AND 1) (:AND 3)) D -> (:OR (:AND 1) (:AND 3 4)) E -> (:OR (:AND 1 2) (:AND 3)) find a new minimal or-set of and-set consistent,...