Setting up my NIC for Gb Ethernet traffic.

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

      I am trying to acheive Gb-level throughput from TSM client
(ABClient) running on my VMS system (ES40) to a MainFrame (OS390) which
is the TSM Server.      My VMS Version is 7.3-2, and my TCPIP stack is
TCPIP Services for OpenVMS Version 5.4, ECO 5, (+ the 5+8 patch kit).

     My NIC is a 10/100/1000 Adapter and I am linking up with the
network switch OK at that speed and with full duplex enabled and
functioning.      I have enable JUMBO Frames on this NIC using

$ mc lancp set dev /jumbo EWB0

I do this right after DECNet starts, but before TCPIP Starts,  Is this
the correct place to do this.

$ mc lancp show dev ewb0 /char

 Device Characteristics EWB0:
                  Value  Characteristic
                  -----  --------------
                   1500  Device buffer size
                 Normal  Controller mode
               External  Internal loopback mode
      00-10-18-10-00-5E  Hardware LAN address
                         Multicast address list
                CSMA/CD  Communication medium
      FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF  Current LAN address
                    128  Minimum receive buffers
                    256  Maximum receive buffers
                   Yes  Full duplex enable
                    Yes  Full duplex operational
            TwistedPair  Line media type
                   1000  Line speed (mbps)
    Disabled/No Failset  Logical LAN state
                      0  Failover priority
LANCP>

I am concerned that the Device buffer size shown above still reads
1500.      Is this to be expected for what I am trying to do.

Viewing the interface with ifconfig seems to indicate that we are set
up OK, "ipmtu 9000"

MILL03$SYSMGR>> ifconfig we1WE1:
flags=c43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,SIMPLEX>    *inet xx.xx.x.xxx
netmask ffff0000 broadcast xx.xx.255.255 ipmtu 9000

     Basically, I am trying to confirm that I have done everything that
I need to do on my own system, before I start pointing fingers.
My network people tell me that they have enabled Jumbo Frames on all
the devices in the path from me to the mainframe.

Does anyone see anything that I might be missing.

e.g. I noticed that there are some Console Environment variables that
appear to relate to NIC's, can anyone shed any light on those.

thanks

Dave.

0
Reply dave.baxter (98) 6/20/2006 8:46:22 PM

See related articles to this posting

I suspect that you need to enable Jumbo frames before starting DECnet (and
maybe before starting SCS if this is a cluster).

The SYSGEN parameter LAN_FLAGS (bit 6) should enable Jumbo frames. LANCP
DEFINE might be a good thing too. Unfortunately my test systems are out of
service at the moment, so I can't check this.

--

Hope this helps, Colin.
colin DOT butcher AT xdelta DOT co DOT uk

0
Reply colin_DOT.butcher_AT (111) 6/20/2006 9:50:09 PM

dave.baxter@bannerhealth.com writes:

> e.g. I noticed that there are some Console Environment variables that
> appear to relate to NIC's, can anyone shed any light on those.

As Colin correctly stated in an earlier reply, please set bit six in
the sysgen param LAN_FLAGS.  As that parameter is likely 0 now, the
value to which it should be set is 64 (decimal).

You should set your ethernet card to auto-negotiate at the console level.
All modern LAN drivers supplied by VMS should correctly autonegotiate, assuming
a correctly-behaving switch.  If it doesn't, please let us know!

You should not need to set *anything* within LANCP to get jumbo frames
working.

Please post the output of

SCACP> SHOW LAN

once you've set LAN_FLAGS = 64 and rebooted.

Note that in VMS V8.3, $ SHOW DEVICE /FULL has been enhanced for
LAN devices . . .

SISKO Alpha> sho dev/full ewb0

Device EWB0:, device type DEGPA, is online, network device, error logging is
    enabled, device is a template only.

    Error count                    1    Operations completed                  0
    Owner process                 ""    Owner UIC                      [SYSTEM]
    Owner process ID        00000000    Dev Prot              S:RWPL,O:RWPL,G,W
    Reference count                0    Default buffer size                 512
    Current preferred CPU Id       1    Fastpath                              1

Operating characteristics: Link up, Full duplex, Autonegotiation, Jumbo frames.

    Speed (Mbits/sec)           1000
    Def. MAC addr  00-60-6D-21-1E-DF    Current MAC addr      00-60-6D-21-1E-DF

--

Rob Brooks    VMS Engineering -- Exec Group     brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com
0

Colin,
       I use two GB NICs (Fiber) for Cluster Interconnect SCS traffic.
  Are they going to be bothered by setting the LAN_FLAGS parameter (to
64 I guess), (since it applies to ALL GB Ethernet Adapters) ???

Dave

Colin Butcher wrote:
> I suspect that you need to enable Jumbo frames before starting DECnet (and
> maybe before starting SCS if this is a cluster).
>
> The SYSGEN parameter LAN_FLAGS (bit 6) should enable Jumbo frames. LANCP
> DEFINE might be a good thing too. Unfortunately my test systems are out of
> service at the moment, so I can't check this.
>
> --
>
> Hope this helps, Colin.
> colin DOT butcher AT xdelta DOT co DOT uk
> It's not mine, but I like this definition: Legacy = stuff that works.

0
Reply dave.baxter (98) 6/21/2006 9:29:23 PM

Colin Butcher wrote:
> I suspect that you need to enable Jumbo frames before starting DECnet (and
> maybe before starting SCS if this is a cluster).
>
> The SYSGEN parameter LAN_FLAGS (bit 6) should enable Jumbo frames. LANCP
> DEFINE might be a good thing too. Unfortunately my test systems are out of
> service at the moment, so I can't check this.
>
> --
>
> Hope this helps, Colin.
> colin DOT butcher AT xdelta DOT co DOT uk
> It's not mine, but I like this definition: Legacy = stuff that works.

0
Reply dave.baxter (98) 6/21/2006 9:29:28 PM

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:29:23 -0700, <dave.baxter@bannerhealth.com> wrote=
:

  =

>> (and
>> maybe before starting SCS if this is a cluster).
>>
>> The SYSGEN parameter LAN_FLAGS (bit 6) should enable Jumbo frames. LA=
NCP
>> DEFINE might be a good thing too. Unfortunately my test systems are o=
ut  =

>> of
>> service at the moment, so I can't check this.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hope this helps, Colin.
>> colin DOT butcher AT xdelta DOT co DOT uk
>> It's not mine, but I like this definition: Legacy =3D stuff that work=
s.

BTW, I have 3 DEGPA-SA cards which I don't need, if anyone is interested=
,
before I put them on ebay, send me a mail offline
Tom
0
Reply tom284 (1839) 6/21/2006 9:38:36 PM

Shouldn't be an issue. AFAIK then if the board and switch can agree on Jumbo
frames then they will do so, else they'll fall back to normal ethernet sized
frames. So, setting bit 6 in LAN_FLAGS (AND in x40 [decimal 64]) is a
sensible 'default'. Alternatively LANCP DEFINE <device>/JUMBO will ensure
that it's set it on a per NIC basis.

--

Hope this helps, Colin.
colin DOT butcher AT xdelta DOT co DOT uk
It's not mine, but I like this definition: Legacy = stuff that works.

0
Reply colin_DOT.butcher_AT (111) 6/21/2006 10:22:14 PM

Colin Butcher <colin_DOT.butcher_AT@xdelta_dot.co_dot.uk> wrote:
> Shouldn't be an issue. AFAIK then if the board and switch can agree
> on Jumbo frames then they will do so, else they'll fall back to
> normal ethernet sized frames.

Is there really a negotiation for JumboFrame?  My recollection is that
there is not.  Are you perhaps thinking of TCP MSS exchange between
_hosts_ where when both ends are JumboFrame enabled, they will
exchange the larger MSS, but if one is not the connection falls-back
to the "standard" MSS?

rick jones
There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision.  - Jobert
Reply rick.jones2 (1133) 6/21/2006 10:58:06 PM
comp.os.vms 20691 articles. 11 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How to check/set ethernet NiC speed ?
I used "ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" and it didn't work. It complained: SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported I guess it maybe due to the limited support from this ethernet driver. Is there anyway to solve it ? I tried ethtool and it didn't give the results. Also, I am trying to find which directory the ifconfig source code is located and wasn't able to find it. Any good solution ? Essentially I wanted to set the card to be 10Mbps. It's a four port card and I guess it actually supports 10/100 both. Thanks! Frank Also, I tried to download mii-tool but failed ...

Auction: IBM MCA ETHERNET OLICOM OC-2335 10/100 NIC + IBM 07L6601 10/100 ETHERNET NIC (9-K)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270188158494 BIN US $49.95 or Best Offer End time: Nov-27-07 17:00:00 PST (9 days 3 hours) Ships to: United States, Canada Item location: New Jersey, United States these items are used, sold "as is" without any support disk or documentation No affiliation -- Jelte, admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki The information contained in this post is copyright the poster and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:36:18 +0100, JWR wr...

setting an interface for up traffic and a second for down traffic
i have under Rh9, two network interfaces, and i want to configure the first one to handle going traffic and the second one for coming traffic. does anybody knows how i can setup this ? if it's with iproute2, please give some advice or an url that explain doing such a thing . ThAnX A LoT eole wrote: > i have under Rh9, two network interfaces, and i want to configure the > first one to handle going traffic and the second one for coming > traffic. > does anybody knows how i can setup this ? > if it's with iproute2, please give some advice or an url that explain > doing...

Help with ethernet lag, even with nic to nic cable!
Running Janes USAF on two machines. Have terrible lag issues. Bought a crossover cable to make sure it wasn't my network lagging and sure enough, still have the lag problems. Any suggestions? please email me as well as posting to the NG. Thx! -- send replies to dave999@cox.net GOT JETS? http://www.rfsm.net/ Dave Stein - President Red Flag Scale Modelers Las Vegas, Nevada YOU NEED A HOBBY! GET SOME! http://www.cheapesthobbies.com/ "Hard Co...

NIC setting
On V240, I would like to set bge0 "autoneg" to 0 . But why after setting it to "0", The "ndd -get " command still returns "1". Why? Thanks for advice! Add following line in /etc/system file set bge:bge_adv_autoneg_cap=0 This sets value to permannetly even after reboot "Bhushan" <bhushan.lists@gmail.com> writes: > Add following line in /etc/system file > > set bge:bge_adv_autoneg_cap=0 > > This sets value to permannetly even after reboot *shudder* I just had a premonition of the next posting we'll see on the t...

Setting up for Ethernet
Am trying to configure an old G3 laptop (OS 8.6) for Ethernet , but when I try to open the TCP/IP control panel, an error box appears, saying it cannot be opened as it is locked. Any experts have a suggestion? Thanks... * posted via http://www.mymac.ws * Please report abuse to http://xinbox.com/mymac Where did you get it? If it came from a school or other network where tinkering would be an issue, you may be looking at FoolProof. It's an app that locks down whatever admins want locked down. Look for a FoolProof control panel. If it's there, you'll need to boot from a bootabl...

Setting NIC
On RH Linux FC3 what command is used to force a NIC to 100Mbs Full Duplex? Ana C. Dent wrote: >On RH Linux FC3 what command is used to force a NIC to 100Mbs Full Duplex? > > Check ethtool or mii-tool. Mihai On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 02:30:05 +0000, Ana C. Dent wrote: > On RH Linux FC3 what command is used to force a NIC to 100Mbs Full Duplex? Take a look at the card's module documentation in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/<your card>.txt From there you'll notice you can use either boot parameters or kernel module parameters. For example, the tlan.o module and uses t...

How can I eliminate delays in one NIC when there is traffic on second NIC
Using LabVIEW TCP/IP VIs,&nbsp;my&nbsp;LV application is &nbsp;accessing a database though a LAN, and&nbsp; through a second NIC, it is controlling an instrument.&nbsp; The instrument is connected directly to the computer NIC with a cross-over cable.&nbsp; I have made a permanent route for the IP address of the instrument in the IP route table.&nbsp; The LAN and the instrument have different subnet numbers.&nbsp; Using a packet sniffer, I don't see any traffic meant for the LAN going to the NIC connected to the instrument.&nbsp; The OS of the computer is...

problem setting up moto we800g ethernet bridge with linksys ethernet router
hi all, running WINXP on a homebuilt athalon XP2600 setup. i am trying to set up this motorola we800g bridge to my linksys broadband router. for useage in my workshop to connect back to my wireless house broadband. 1st problem...in setup i can setup the moto we800g bridge to a pc, get it configured and then reboot. in the setup of the bridge, it identifys my house network, and it appears to configure itself for it and completes. (im not running anything fancy..no security or encryption) and i can access the bridge via the http://192.168.30.1 and surf all around the bridge me...

Alteon 180e Gigabit ethernet switch and Sun X1141A/X1140A Gigabit ethernet NICs
Hi, I am wondering whether the following switch will work with the X1141A/X1140A Gigabit ethernet NICs; http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5737917042&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT The switch supports RJ45 and multimode fibre connections. Thanks and regards, Andrew Andrew Tyson <atyson@optus.kindly.refrain.from.spamming.net> wrote: > I am wondering whether the following switch will work with the > X1141A/X1140A Gigabit ethernet NICs; > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5737917042&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT &...

PROBLEM: Notebook w/PCMCIA ethernet & docking station ethernet / Multiple NICs / Only use one at a time
I have a Dell Inspiron 3700 notebook. I have setup Debian 3.0 rev 1 stable with a very clean install (setup virtually as described at this URL... http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016 [EXCELLENT article for a relative newbie]). When I did the install I was at work and plugged into that network via my PCMCIA ethernet adapter. The IP is assigned dynamically through DHCP. Everything worked like a charm. Get it home. PCMCIA card not used. Docking station with onboard NIC. Doesn't work (obviously). At home network I will specify the IP, gateway, subnet, etc... PCMCIA NIC is 3COM ...

PROBLEM: Notebook w/PCMCIA ethernet & docking station ethernet / Multiple NICs / Only use one at a time
I have a Dell Inspiron 3700 notebook. I have setup Debian 3.0 rev 1 stable with a very clean install (setup virtually as described at this URL... http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016 [EXCELLENT article for a relative newbie]). When I did the install I was at work and plugged into that network via my PCMCIA ethernet adapter. The IP is assigned dynamically through DHCP. Everything worked like a charm. Get it home. PCMCIA card not used. Docking station with onboard NIC. Doesn't work (obviously). At home network I will specify the IP, gateway, subnet, etc... PCMCIA NIC is 3COM...

2 NICs, same subnet for a 'gateway' that won't block traffic from 'outside' NIC
Here's my problem, I need to implement QoS for our servers so that the office can handle video conferencing (currently video conferencing locks up when replications start, etc). QoS will work wonderfully for this, but the issue is that we've invested in hardware firewalls / VPN and these need to handle the external connection. If I simply put in a linux router behind the VPN appliance, then I'm preventing VPN access to all the machines on the network behind the linux router. One option I was thinking, is if the linux box could have 2 NICs and function as a gateway then I could po...

NIC Setting #2
Thanks for the replies of my previous posting. I actully added the following line in /etc/system file: set bge:bge_adv_autoneg_cap=0 and reboot the system. But the "ndd -get /dev/bge0 adv_autoneg_cap" still returns "1". I also tried using the command line: ndd -set /dev/bge0 adv_autoneg_cap 0 But the "ndd -get /dev/bge0 adv_autoneg_cap" still returns "1". Why does this happen? Thanks for advise! On Tue, 19 Sep 2005, Tim_bates@yahoo.com wrote: > Thanks for the replies of my previous posting. > > I actully added the following line i...

How to set NIC to 100BaseT
I have this 3Com card which is a 10/100baseT, but I can only get it to work in 10baseT. Below is the output of vortex-diag -aem How do I change the nic to 100baseT, or at least to autonegociate? This card is the interface to my local network, and it is connected to a D-Link 10/100 switch. I have two more computers plugged into the same switch and ethtool shows both those cards are at 100baseT. Thanks! Index #2: Found a 3Com 3c595 Vortex 10/100baseTx adapter at 0xdf80. Station address 00:a0:24:cd:ae:54. Receive mode is 0x07: Normal unicast and all multicast. The Vortex chip may be ac...

Gb Ethernet on AS2100
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C41F45.F8A2F490 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can anyone advise whether it is possible to get a gb ethernet interface = to work on an Alpha 2100? The system is running VMS 7.1 The new gigabit module 3X-DEGXA-TA needs VMS 7.2-2 or 7.3-1 so would not = be supported. The old one DEGPA-TA needs VMS 7.1-2 + patches, or V7.2. This isn't such = an issue. On the hardware side both these modules need the PCI bus to be V2.1 but = the tech manual for t...

count ethernet traffic
Hallo, I have a server on witch I would like to install a small, fast and memory-processor cheap tool in order to count ALL traffic from the NIC. What are your suggestions? I would preffer a tool that will not decrease the server's preformance and if it's possible will not use iptables or any other kernel/module tool. Thank you. -- ============== Peter Tselios "Peter Tselios" <???@?????.??> wrote in message news:bpa7tm$28nk$1@ulysses.noc.ntua.gr... > Hallo, > I have a server on witch I would like to install a small, fast and > memory-processor cheap tool in...

Set Ethernet Rate
We are running a project that uses a Motorola ppc 5107 and a AITECH C103 card. We are using VxWorks 5.5.1 for development. Problem we have is that both cards are autonegotiating to 100BaseT (both boards can support this) our problem is that the cabling between the boards does not. We have found that running at10BaseT we have no issue so have forced it there by sticking a 10BaseT hub in the path. We have no control over the wiring between the boards in the production environment and we can't fit in the the hub. Is there a way for one of the boards be hard setto 10BaseT and ignore or not aut...

setting NIC speed?
Hi, I just installed Red hat 9 and I have a D-Link 538 100/10 NIC. In order to connect to my router I need to set the NIC's speed to 10mbps. I tried putting MEDIA=10baseT in ifcfg-eth0 (which has no effect) and "ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT" which gives an "operation not permitted" error. I can do it from winXP (dual boot) so I know the NIC is capable of switching speeds... Any hints? "j" <gdnm_2001@yaWoo.com> wrote in message news:ifPGb.181196$%TO.120351@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com... > Hi, > > I just installed Red hat 9 and I...

nic settings on onyx
Hi, I'm a system V person, but have been asked to change an onyx (IRIX 6.2) to full-duplex. I've followed the info in the man, but I'm not able to get anything of any use back, even to find out what the settings are now. with ifconfig -v et0 ( and et0 -v), I get the message that there is no such interface, but with straight ifconfig et0, I don't get the duplex/speed information. Does anybody have an idea where I can go form here? Thanks Andy In article <3F0BFD0C.5040404@esa.int>, andrew robson <andrew.robson@esa.int> wrote: :I'm a system V person, but...

Setting up NICs in OpenBSD
I originally had a RealTek based NIC in my box when I installed OpenBSD. I decided to swap it out and stick a VIA-based(vr0) based card in, and also a 3com(xl0). Following the FAQ on openbsd.org, I created hostname.vr0 with 'inet 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.0 NONE'. Now on boot, when /etc/netstart executes, I get ": not in table" returned. The odd thing is, if I manually do it by executing 'ifconfig vr0 inet 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.0 NONE', it works like a champ. I know I can do a workaround easily, but I'd really like to get the script working. Anyone h...

ethernet inactivy traffic
An ethernet PHY (serdes) immediately notices whether there is an ethernet link, even when autonegotiation is disabled (on both sides). How exactly does this work, does the PHY continuously send some kind of "background" Fast Link Pulses ? Is there something like background/inactivity traffic in full-duplex ethernet (say 100BaseT), what about 1000BaseT and 1000BaseX (optical) ? Does the same go for 10/100 half-duplex ethernet (CSMA-CD) ? I just wonder what goes over the (serial) ethernet wire-pairs when no data is exchanged (temporarily). I guess the parallel (xMII...

Securing the traffic
Hello, I apologise if this has either been asked before, is in the wrong group or gets too dilbertish. Scenario: The company's intranet is under an evil network manager who does everything to make the lives of the users miserable. Nothing is sacred to him, not passwords, nor credit card numbers that fly by 'his' network space. As this is the local area network, all traffic is unencrypted. At leisure, using one of his many sniffers, he picks one up and goes shopping. He constantly checks users mail, and also sends out mails from their accounts. Requirement: In ...

nic MTU setting
Where do I _permanently_ set the MTU size for a particular nic (rl0) ? Brendon Gleeson <brendon.gleeson@gmail.com> wrote in news:d0e595b3-cf62- 41ea-86bb-60b2b6780e1e@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com: > Where do I _permanently_ set the MTU size for a particular nic (rl0) ? Do it in hostname.rl0, e.g. like this: inet 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 NONE mtu 4128 or, if you prefer dhcp dhcp mtu 4128 The man page is hostname.if(5) thanks, I bumped into the answer in "man hostname.if" ...