Setting up my NIC for Gb Ethernet traffic.

      I am trying to acheive Gb-level throughput from TSM client
(ABClient) running on my VMS system (ES40) to a MainFrame (OS390) which
is the TSM Server.      My VMS Version is 7.3-2, and my TCPIP stack is
TCPIP Services for OpenVMS Version 5.4, ECO 5, (+ the 5+8 patch kit).

     My NIC is a 10/100/1000 Adapter and I am linking up with the
network switch OK at that speed and with full duplex enabled and
functioning.      I have enable JUMBO Frames on this NIC using

$ mc lancp set dev /jumbo EWB0

I do this right after DECNet starts, but before TCPIP Starts,  Is this
the correct place to do this.

$ mc lancp show dev ewb0 /char

 Device Characteristics EWB0:
                  Value  Characteristic
                  -----  --------------
                   1500  Device buffer size
                 Normal  Controller mode
               External  Internal loopback mode
      00-10-18-10-00-5E  Hardware LAN address
                         Multicast address list
                CSMA/CD  Communication medium
      FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF  Current LAN address
                    128  Minimum receive buffers
                    256  Maximum receive buffers
                   Yes  Full duplex enable
                    Yes  Full duplex operational
            TwistedPair  Line media type
                   1000  Line speed (mbps)
    Disabled/No Failset  Logical LAN state
                      0  Failover priority
LANCP>

I am concerned that the Device buffer size shown above still reads
1500.      Is this to be expected for what I am trying to do.

Viewing the interface with ifconfig seems to indicate that we are set
up OK, "ipmtu 9000"

MILL03$SYSMGR>> ifconfig we1WE1:
flags=c43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,SIMPLEX>    *inet xx.xx.x.xxx
netmask ffff0000 broadcast xx.xx.255.255 ipmtu 9000

     Basically, I am trying to confirm that I have done everything that
I need to do on my own system, before I start pointing fingers.
My network people tell me that they have enabled Jumbo Frames on all
the devices in the path from me to the mainframe.

Does anyone see anything that I might be missing.

e.g. I noticed that there are some Console Environment variables that
appear to relate to NIC's, can anyone shed any light on those.

thanks

Dave.

comp.os.vms 21885 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

I suspect that you need to enable Jumbo frames before starting DECnet (and
maybe before starting SCS if this is a cluster).

The SYSGEN parameter LAN_FLAGS (bit 6) should enable Jumbo frames. LANCP
DEFINE might be a good thing too. Unfortunately my test systems are out of
service at the moment, so I can't check this.

--

Hope this helps, Colin.
colin DOT butcher AT xdelta DOT co DOT uk

dave.baxter@bannerhealth.com writes:

> e.g. I noticed that there are some Console Environment variables that
> appear to relate to NIC's, can anyone shed any light on those.

As Colin correctly stated in an earlier reply, please set bit six in
the sysgen param LAN_FLAGS.  As that parameter is likely 0 now, the
value to which it should be set is 64 (decimal).

You should set your ethernet card to auto-negotiate at the console level.
All modern LAN drivers supplied by VMS should correctly autonegotiate, assuming
a correctly-behaving switch.  If it doesn't, please let us know!

You should not need to set *anything* within LANCP to get jumbo frames
working.

Please post the output of

SCACP> SHOW LAN

once you've set LAN_FLAGS = 64 and rebooted.

Note that in VMS V8.3, $ SHOW DEVICE /FULL has been enhanced for
LAN devices . . .

SISKO Alpha> sho dev/full ewb0

Device EWB0:, device type DEGPA, is online, network device, error logging is
    enabled, device is a template only.

    Error count                    1    Operations completed                  0
    Owner process                 ""    Owner UIC                      [SYSTEM]
    Owner process ID        00000000    Dev Prot              S:RWPL,O:RWPL,G,W
    Reference count                0    Default buffer size                 512
    Current preferred CPU Id       1    Fastpath                              1

Operating characteristics: Link up, Full duplex, Autonegotiation, Jumbo frames.

    Speed (Mbits/sec)           1000
    Def. MAC addr  00-60-6D-21-1E-DF    Current MAC addr      00-60-6D-21-1E-DF

--

Rob Brooks    VMS Engineering -- Exec Group     brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com
0

Dave

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:29:23 -0700, <dave.baxter@bannerhealth.com> wrote=
:

  =

>> (and
>> maybe before starting SCS if this is a cluster).
>>
>> The SYSGEN parameter LAN_FLAGS (bit 6) should enable Jumbo frames. LA=
NCP
>> DEFINE might be a good thing too. Unfortunately my test systems are o=
ut  =

>> of
>> service at the moment, so I can't check this.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hope this helps, Colin.
>> colin DOT butcher AT xdelta DOT co DOT uk
>> It's not mine, but I like this definition: Legacy =3D stuff that work=
s.

BTW, I have 3 DEGPA-SA cards which I don't need, if anyone is interested=
,
before I put them on ebay, send me a mail offline
Tom
0
tom284 (1839)
6/21/2006 9:38:36 PM
Shouldn't be an issue. AFAIK then if the board and switch can agree on Jumbo
frames then they will do so, else they'll fall back to normal ethernet sized
frames. So, setting bit 6 in LAN_FLAGS (AND in x40 [decimal 64]) is a
sensible 'default'. Alternatively LANCP DEFINE <device>/JUMBO will ensure
that it's set it on a per NIC basis.

--

Colin Butcher <colin_DOT.butcher_AT@xdelta_dot.co_dot.uk> wrote:
> Shouldn't be an issue. AFAIK then if the board and switch can agree
> on Jumbo frames then they will do so, else they'll fall back to
> normal ethernet sized frames.

Is there really a negotiation for JumboFrame?  My recollection is that
there is not.  Are you perhaps thinking of TCP MSS exchange between
_hosts_ where when both ends are JumboFrame enabled, they will
exchange the larger MSS, but if one is not the connection falls-back
to the "standard" MSS?

rick jones
There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision.  - Jobert
rick.jones2 (1133)